Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Griffin's Emmy Remarks to Be Censored

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

http://www.comcast.net/tv/index.jsp?cat ... tn_griffin
Griffin's Emmy Remarks to Be Censored
By LYNN ELBER, AP Television Writer
Tue Sep 11, 3:34 AM

Kathy Griffin poses backstage with her Emmy after her ...

LOS ANGELES - Before Kathy Griffin won a creative arts Emmy last weekend for her reality show, "My Life on the D-List," she joked that an award would move her to the C-list. She was right: "C" as in censored. The TV academy said her raucous acceptance speech will be edited when the event, which was taped, is shown Saturday on the E! channel.

The main prime-time Emmy Awards air the next night on Fox.

"Kathy Griffin's offensive remarks will not be part of the E! telecast on Saturday night," the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences said in a statement Monday.

In her speech, Griffin said that "a lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus."

She went on to hold up her Emmy, make an off-color remark about Christ and proclaim, "This award is my god now!"

The comedian's remarks were condemned Monday by Catholic League President Bill Donohue, who called them a "vulgar, in-your-face brand of hate speech."

According to the TV academy and E!, when the four hour-plus ceremony is edited into a two-hour program, Griffin's remarks will be shown in "an abbreviated version" in which some language may be bleeped.

The program was in production and unfinished, an E! spokeswoman said Monday.

Requests for comment were left Monday evening by phone and e-mail with Griffin's publicist. They were not immediately returned.

The Catholic League, an anti-defamation group, called on the TV academy to "denounce Griffin's obscene and blasphemous comment" at Sunday's ceremony.

The academy said Monday it had no plans to address the issue in the prime-time broadcast.

The organization may have another delicate issue to consider, this one involving an off-color fake music video that aired last December on "Saturday Night Live" and won a creative arts Emmy for best song.

Andy Samberg of "SNL" said Saturday that he had yet to be asked by the TV academy to perform the tune with Timberlake on the Fox broadcast, but he was willing. Timberlake, on a concert tour, is scheduled to be in Los Angeles next weekend.

The subject of their "(Blank) in a Box" video: wrapping a certain part of the male anatomy and presenting it to a loved one as a holiday present.

The academy has said that "show elements are in the process of being worked out."

___

On the Net:

http://www.emmys.org

http://www.catholicleague.org

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Never been a huge fan of hers, but now I am. Good for her for saying what many of us say to eachother every time one of these tools thank God for some insignificant achievement. Censoring her remarks is another sign of how fucked up our politically (selectively) correct world we live in is destroying free speech.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Griffin's Emmy Remarks to Be Censored

Post by Aslanna »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote: Censoring her remarks is another sign of how fucked up our politically (selectively) correct world we live in is destroying free speech.
Oh here we go with the "free speech" thing again that you obviously have no concept about. Was she free to say what she wanted? Sure she was. She's not in jail or anything is she? I know it's hard for you but don't be such an idiot.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:
Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote: Censoring her remarks is another sign of how fucked up our politically (selectively) correct world we live in is destroying free speech.
Oh here we go with the "free speech" thing again that you obviously have no concept about. Was she free to say what she wanted? Sure she was. She's not in jail or anything is she? I know it's hard for you but don't be such an idiot.
And I know it's hard for you not to be such a worthless fucking sack of shit you stupid fucking asshole. The point is this is nothing that is worthy of censoring, and people need to stand up and fucking say something about it because "censorship" is something that is in place to remove offensive, harmful material - not to push the agendas of the companies and kiss the fucking christians asses so they don't pitch a fit.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

She's free to say it, and the emmy association is free to edit their footage to protect their 'image.'

They would also be free to simply disclaim it by saying 'the acceptance speeches of award recipients do not reflect the opinions or views of the academy', but they're under no obligation to do so.

I agree with Griffin's remark, but I understand not allowing it to air during their prime time event. Hell, it's possible that more people are going to hear about it now anyways.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Funkmasterr wrote:
Aslanna wrote:
And I know it's hard for you not to be such a worthless fucking sack of shit you stupid fucking asshole. The point is this is nothing that is worthy of censoring, and people need to stand up and fucking say something about it because "censorship" is something that is in place to remove offensive, harmful material - not to push the agendas of the companies and kiss the fucking christians asses so they don't pitch a fit.
Word up wigga....word up.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:And I know it's hard for you not to be such a worthless fucking sack of shit you stupid fucking asshole.
You amuse me. I'm glad you're still posting here. Although I think that needs a bit more profanity in it if you want to gain street cred.

--
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Aslanna wrote:
Wrong.

a) there are some things worthy of censorship, especially in the context of material which may be viewed by kids/an impressionable audience. There should not be excessive violence, profanity, sexuality on public airwaves at a time when those audiences can access it.

b) This is not a news event, but one put on by a private body and sponsored by private companies. They make the rules. And if they find one performer's remarks are not in keeping with the image/atmosphere they want to project, they have every right to censor some of her remarks.

Personally, I think they ARE going too far but thats their right. What it means to me is that I lose some respect for the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences for a) not getting the joke and b) being so willing to knuckle under to so oversensative religious groups/individuals.
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'll break it down for you (Funk), your brother Darryl (Midnyte) and your other brother Darryl (Cartalas.. Oh wait he got himself banned didn't he?):
Censoring her remarks is another sign of how fucked up our politically (selectively) correct world we live in is destroying free speech.
This has absolutely nothing to do with free speech. Zero. Nada. Whether it's worthy of them censoring or not is not the issue. They have that right! I'm not even saying I agree with their decision. Just stop confusing these two simple concepts. I thought you learned that in the Opie & Anthony thread but I guess I was a bit too optimistic on your ability to learn.

--
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:I'll break it down for you (Funk), your brother Darryl (Midnyte) and your other brother Darryl (Cartalas.. Oh wait he got himself banned didn't he?):
Censoring her remarks is another sign of how fucked up our politically (selectively) correct world we live in is destroying free speech.
This has absolutely nothing to do with free speech. Zero. Nada. Whether it's worthy of them censoring or not is not the issue. They have that right! I'm not even saying I agree with their decision. Just stop confusing these two simple concepts. I thought you learned that in the Opie & Anthony thread but I guess I was a bit too optimistic on your ability to learn.
She should have the right to say it. We should have the right to hear it. If a group of people don't like it, then they have a right to drag their unemployed asses off the couch and go walk around with a sign and yell stupid, sub-80 IQ muckity-muck. Oh yeah, that's right. I said muckity-muck.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:She shoudl have the right to say it. We should have the right to hear it. If a group of people don't like it, then they have a right to drag their unemployed asses off the couch and go walk around with a sign and yell stupid, sub-80 IQ muckity-muck. Oh yeah, that's right. I said muckity-muck.
So where does the right of the broadcaster fit in? Are you saying because she said it they are required to let it be heard?

She had the right to say it and she did. They have a right to air it or not and they apparently choose not to.

--
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:
Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:She shoudl have the right to say it. We should have the right to hear it. If a group of people don't like it, then they have a right to drag their unemployed asses off the couch and go walk around with a sign and yell stupid, sub-80 IQ muckity-muck. Oh yeah, that's right. I said muckity-muck.
So where does the right of the broadcaster fit in? Are you saying because she said it they are required to let it be heard?

She had the right to say it and she did. They have a right to air it or not and they apparently choose not to.
Why is it you have problem employing logic and common sense when it's against me?

Yes, they have the right. No one is arguing that. Their selective use of that right, is ruining free speech and expression.

Here's another exmaple. My freind just got called into the office at his job by HR for saying "Notre Dame sucks." Why? Because someone might have found that offensive. No one did. But, someone could have, maybe, possibly.....found it offensive. You don't see a problem with the road we are headed down?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:I'll break it down for you (Funk), your brother Darryl (Midnyte) and your other brother Darryl (Cartalas.. Oh wait he got himself banned didn't he?):
Maybe you can do me a favor and tell me where I said it was her right to freedom of speech? I said it was bullshit and I don't agree with it happening AT ALL, but I said nothing about freedom of speech. Maybe it's you that needs to open your fucking eyes and not skim peoples comments or assume that you know what they are gonna say.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:Maybe you can do me a favor and tell me where I said it was her right to freedom of speech? I said it was bullshit and I don't agree with it happening AT ALL, but I said nothing about freedom of speech. Maybe it's you that needs to open your fucking eyes and not skim peoples comments or assume that you know what they are gonna say.
Maybe because of my response you quoted in your first message. I was specifically mentioning the "free speech" aspect of Midnyte's comment at the bottom of his original post which you went all off on. Which is why.. I don't know.. I quoted it in the first place. Perhaps you'd like to go read it again and respond when you get a brain. Which means I wont hold my breath waiting on your response. Perhaps you shouldn't get involved with conversations you're unable to comprehend.

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Just kill a dog and everything will be ok.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:Maybe you can do me a favor and tell me where I said it was her right to freedom of speech? I said it was bullshit and I don't agree with it happening AT ALL, but I said nothing about freedom of speech. Maybe it's you that needs to open your fucking eyes and not skim peoples comments or assume that you know what they are gonna say.
Maybe because of my response you quoted in your first message. I was specifically mentioning the "free speech" aspect of Midnyte's comment at the bottom of his original post which you went all off on. Which is why.. I don't know.. I quoted it in the first place. Perhaps you'd like to go read it again and respond when you get a brain. Which means I wont hold my breath waiting on your response. Perhaps you shouldn't get involved with conversations you're unable to comprehend.
"Was she free to say what she wanted? Sure she was. She's not in jail or anything is she? I know it's hard for you but don't be such an idiot."

That was what I was responding to (mostly to you being an arrogant fuck about your response in general, as usual), not to the first sentence about free speech, which is why I didn't say anything about free speech in my response. You obvsiously failed to comprehend what I was responding to without me spelling it out for you by cutting your first sentence out of my quote. And I'm the dumb one. Right.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yeah pretty much. You are the dumb one.

--
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Dude, Aslanna, semantics. We get it, there are two different issues here. Funk and Midnyte both are angry that we live in a world where Kathy Griffin can't say what she said without some shit hitting the fan. Now a thread is almost ruined.

I applaud her for being honest. I think the academy shouldn't air it, and I think the press this will get / has gotten is more than good enough for me. Almost anything that bashes religion or the god institution is all right in my book.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Notre Dame sucks.
Sadly as a Notre Dame fan (yes I admit it), this is, in fact, a true statement and so therefore your friend should not have been called into HR.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Why anyone cares that a bad comedian said something most would consider inappropriate to be said in front of their kids and had it censored is beyond me. Would you complain if someone made the same sort of statement in your office or at your kid's school and was called on the carpet for it as well?

Yes there are crude comedians that are funny, the good ones can also be funny without being at all crude.

It's not a free speech issue, I'm not sure why that's so hard to grasp.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

Some people won't be happy with their freedoms until they have anarchy. Then, they will wish for those freedoms to return in full force.
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Al
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Al »

Fash wrote:She's free to say it, and the emmy association is free to edit their footage

Bottom Line right there. It is an associations broadcast, whether it be E!, NBC or a local school access channel. They get complete say (within reason) about what can and cannot be in their broadcast.
Tyek wrote:
Notre Dame sucks.
Sadly as a Notre Dame fan (yes I admit it), this is, in fact, a true statement and so therefore your friend should not have been called into HR.
Damn, that's 2 bottom lines in one post. I'm a fan as well, but I haven't seen them run a single play that didn't look like a High School team. Granted, I've only seen about 10 plays (not downs, about 5 of them were penalties), but they looked absolutely terrible.

Now to figure out this 2 bottom line thing.....
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Leonaerd wrote:Dude, Aslanna, semantics. We get it, there are two different issues here.
It's not semantics. It's the whole point of my original post. The problem is that every time something like this happens (again, reference the Opie and Andy thread for another recent example) Midnyte starts getting all excited and throwing things like 'free speech" and "rights" around when he obviously has no grasp on the basic concepts of either.

Stolen from a comment on crooksandliars.com :
But the network has the right not to air what she says. That’s not violating her speech rights. She can say it all she wants. Remember, the first amendment applies TO THE GOVT’S ATTEMPTS TO STOP SPEECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It does not apply to private individual’s or corporations. I can kick someone off my front lawn if they set up a podium and don't like what they are saying.

Don’t get me wrong, I think this is just plain stupid. Who cares what she says. She is a very funny, and a bit over-the-top comic. If you don’t like it, don’t listen. My point is that every time a non-governmental entity engages in some level of censorship that folks here don’t like, people get all fired up and start ranting about free speech, the Constituion and the 1st amendment when they DO NOT APPLY TO THIS SORT OF SITUATION!!!!
I just wonder how many times it has to be said before it sinks in.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: I just wonder how many times it has to be said before it sinks in.
At least seven more times and you'll hit 5K posts! Make your 5000th on a better thread than this one!
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Oh crap we better censor this remark because half the nation is fucking retarded and gets offended because not every winner of every award praises the one true god of Bibleville.

What a sorry state of affairs.
Janx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Janx

Post by Janx »

Fuck religion. Biggest sham in history IMO.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Nick wrote:Oh crap we better censor this remark because half the nation is fucking retarded and gets offended because not every winner of every award praises the one true god of Bibleville.

What a sorry state of affairs.

I really truly do hate agreeing with you. Besides, where the hell have you been you crazy fucking leprechaun? Seems like it's been a while since you last posted!
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Away getting some scuba diving qualifications in Spain 8)

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

That picture is NWS in the U.S. Too much man flesh! Is that Canelek with you?

Looks like fun. How clear/deep was that water?
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Haha he does look a bit like Canelek in that picture I suppose, but no, that was my instructor, an English guy called Paul. Sound as a fucking pound he was too.

Visibility was pretty sweet, not sure how many metres because im still a nub, but it was really pretty excellent considering the amount of boat traffic in the area there.

Also, that place, Cape de St Martine, ranges from about 1m to 30m in depth (although I was only down at 19 max that day). Scuba diving sure is a whole fuckload of fun, I'll definitely be doing it more often (not in Ireland though, its feckin freezing here).
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Yeah, diving is great. I got my certification about a year and a half ago. Had a chance to finish it up down in the Florida Keys. I would love to get a chance to dive in Spain though. Looks beautiful.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

That's cool, hello fellow diver!

The diving in Spain was changeable, visually, although that place in the pic was definitely the highlight. Shoals of Barracuda, moray eels, Scorpionfish, all sorts of mad stuff. Clams about a foot wide. Brilliant! Sometimes its a bit bland, sometimes its unbelievable. I guess thats the way it is though. :)

I definitely think I'll do more of the qualifications, and probably plan a couple of diving trips to get better and see more stuff. I'd really like a camera as well, an underwater one, because some of the sights you get down there are like nothing you've seen before.

How was Florida? I imagine it would be pretty spectacular. I'm going to have to research the top diving spots in the world a lot now, I'd also like to do some sunken ship dives 8)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I was certified about 10 years ago. But I haven't been out since then really. So I'd probably kill myself if I tried diving these days as I forgot most everything.

--
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

:P

I was given a book, by the PADI people. It would only take a couple of hours to read, you would probably be alright to go back down with a day or twos revision. Apparantly they ask you to redo a wee memory check up every six months.

How come you never really went again? :) Do you live in a cold place?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm not certified but I went scuba diving anyway in Australia's Great Barrier Reef.

Glad I did it but the open ocean scares me.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Aslanna wrote:I was certified about 10 years ago. But I haven't been out since then really. So I'd probably kill myself if I tried diving these days as I forgot most everything.
My star pupil! Weren't you in the class I taught with the hot wimmins in it? There's no money in being a scuba instructor, but the perks are wonderful.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Nick wrote:That's cool, hello fellow diver!

The diving in Spain was changeable, visually, although that place in the pic was definitely the highlight. Shoals of Barracuda, moray eels, Scorpionfish, all sorts of mad stuff. Clams about a foot wide. Brilliant! Sometimes its a bit bland, sometimes its unbelievable. I guess thats the way it is though. :)

I definitely think I'll do more of the qualifications, and probably plan a couple of diving trips to get better and see more stuff. I'd really like a camera as well, an underwater one, because some of the sights you get down there are like nothing you've seen before.

How was Florida? I imagine it would be pretty spectacular. I'm going to have to research the top diving spots in the world a lot now, I'd also like to do some sunken ship dives 8)
Wow, that sounds awesome. Yeah, Florida has some really cool stuff. I went all over the reefs, saw an underwater 12 foot bronze Jesus statue covered in fire coral, a 7 foot reef shark, school of rays, 100 lb grouper, and other cool fish. I went on 2 ship dives as well. Its so strange seeing the ships like that. Fish swimming in and out of them, but everything is still intact the way it would have been on the surface. Very little decay, just lots and lots of shit growing on them.

How deep did you go? One of our ship dives took us down to around 100-110 ft, and some of the instructors went down to around 140. It is so surreal when you are that deep.

BTW, other than the ones needed for certification, I don't suggest night diving. It sucks haha. Even with the big underwater spotlights you cant see shit and I kept getting turned around.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I kind of watched these last night w/ my girlfriend while I was playing Halo 2 last night, and they edited far more than just her comment, they edited about 5 people's comments and made it very obvious they were doing so. Pathetic if you ask me.