Steam/Steam Community

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Steam/Steam Community

Post by Winnow »

Steam/Steam Community:

http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php ... mnow&cc=US

http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php

Anyone use this? I'm listening to a podcast and they say this is the shit for community gaming on the PC. They compare it to being an Xbox Live for free on the PC. Lots of games and purchasable games online and you can additionally add other games (like you WoW geeks) to the list of games you play so your friends know what you're playing no matter where you are because the Steam thing is an overlay.

I thought steam sucked when Half Life 2 first game out but it sounds like they've got their shit together and it's the leading candidate to dominate the market as a central location for gamers to stay in touch while playing.

Anyone given it a shot recently?

It looks like it's pretty new. Here's an announcement for it:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/steamster/stea ... 286628.php

Someone check it out and give us a review! It would be nice to have a solid central place to provide a "gamer tag" for all things PC as the Xbox has for Live and the other consoles have their thing.

Some of the features:
The new Steam community features are designed to connect gamers with friends and other gamers, create and join groups, and organize matches and tournaments. The initial batch of features rolled out in the beta version include:

. Steam ID. Create a personal profile-complete with a photo or avatar, biographical details, favorites, and more-viewable on the Web and within the Steam client.

. Friends. Add peers to a personal Friends List that shows in real-time who's online and available to chat or play a game. Accessible from within the Steam client or while playing a game, the Friends List makes it easy to invite friends to chat, play a game, or join a group.

. Groups. Create and join public and private groups comprised of gamers who share a common interest, such as fans of a particular game, map or mod, or competitive teams. The Group Profile page displays information about the group, recent activities, news and announcements, and a schedule of upcoming events. Groups can quickly initiate a text or voice chat; plan a game, tournament, LAN party, or any other event; and track group gameplay statistics.

. Statistics. From both a personal Steam ID or Group profile, users can view a range of gameplay statistics, such as most played games or maps and average playing time.

. Chat. Initiate a chat with friends and groups using integrated instant messaging, text chat, and voice features.

. Events. Schedule matches, tournaments, and in-person gatherings, such as LAN parties. Upcoming events are displayed in both a list and calendar view, and members can receive reminders that help keep everyone on schedule.
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Steam/Steam Community

Post by Sionistic »

I use steam normally, didnt know about this community thing. Im downloading it now. Will give impressions after Ive messed with it some.
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

Its a fun little thing. It seems easy to create groups. I like how I can pick an avatar, and it will display on the friends list. The shift+tab feature to bring up friends now thru me off at first, but I got used to it. There are still a few problems. A friend of mine was showing on my friend list, playing on a css server, a server that had been down for the past hour. I wish you could customize your steam id page more, but its decent for what you have now. This definitely has potential.

Ed
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

I use Steam to occasionally play Counterstrike: Source. That's about it. Might check out Team Fortress 2 when it comes out.
Do unto others what has been done to you.