Old Topic! Fresh evidence!

What do you think about the world?
Al
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Old Topic! Fresh evidence!

Post by Al »

Fox News reporting on a study into whether Mr. Rogers corrupted the minds of kids by telling them they are special because of who they are.

And I'll throw in a quote from the beginning of the video:
Anchor 1:How's your self esteem?
Anchor 2:Well, inflated
Anchor 3:Because you grew up with this man...
Anchor 2:This evil, evil man....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n44WCUKIK2Y

Enjoy! I know I enjoyed about half of it before I got sick and watched some poop eating videos to clean my brain of Fox filth. You ever seen someone eat poop? Much more appetizing than watching Fox News.

Edit: and I realize she may have been kidding when calling him evil, but the entire setup wasn't "reporting", it was Fred Rogers bashing.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Old Topic! Fresh evidence!

Post by Lalanae »

I always loved Mister Rogers. People who bash him are either bitter for being unloved or scared to admit that men can be nuturing individuals. In a world where so many kids have no self-esteem and turn to drugs, recklesss sexual activity, and crime at younger and younger ages, I think the world could benefit from parents being a little more like Fred Rogers. Inflated self esteem is hardly a problem today.
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Ugh, that was more Fox News than I'd want to watch in a year. ANYWAYS, it was pretty obvious that most of those.. what.. anchors? I don't want to say reporters, they thought it was a laughable idea and were just telling the story. But that one guy, wow. That's the kind of guy you need to keep away from clock towers.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood,
a beautiful day for a neighbor!

Would you be my
Could you be my
Won't you be my neighbor?
God forbid someone tell kids that they have intrinsic worth, or that the people who live around them are, well, PEOPLE, and not just things they pass in the street.

Bet THESE little fucks never watched Mr. Rogers.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I loved Mr. Rogers.

I have nothing more to add because I didn't watch the clip. I haven't seen anything on fox news that was actually news worthy in at least a year.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

I think it's a valid arguement. I loved Mr. Rogers, but I can see the point of researchers who say that being told you are special over and over as a child could fill them with a sense of entitlement. That sense of entitlement sure seems to be a big problem with todays generation versus past generations. I applaud Fox News for doing a piece on this. I find it hard to believe they were the only news netwrok that choice to cover this piece, but if that is the case, then maybe that is a good example why we should get our news from multiple sources.
Somali
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Somali »

Holy crap. I missed that story about the gang-rape. That is completely and utterly fucked up. Each one of those guys should be sodomized by something roughly the girth of a telephone pole directly before being tossed out of an airplane at 30k feet.

On topic: Yeah... I don't see what the issue with Mr. Rogers is either. Sure. A lot of people have an overinflated perception of self worth. From what I can tell, they are better off than the ones that walk around feeling like they can't do anything at all.
Braxter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Braxter »

those snakes on fox and friends are a far fucking cry from anchors, newscasters, or journalists. they're racist talking heads with no moral center and a propensity to belittle shit rather than discuss it. if you press pause at just the right time when one of them is talking, you can actually see a venom sac. the shit i've seen coming out of this show is vile even by fox standards. the worst part is, they are so fucking jolly for the entire show. this story is just more evidence of their selective reporting. mr. rogers did more good and spoke more truth in one episode than fox and friends has done its entire tenure on the air.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Braxter wrote:those snakes on fox and friends are a far fucking cry from anchors, newscasters, or journalists. they're racist talking heads with no moral center and a propensity to belittle shit rather than discuss it. if you press pause at just the right time when one of them is talking, you can actually see a venom sac. the shit i've seen coming out of this show is vile even by fox standards. the worst part is, they are so fucking jolly for the entire show. this story is just more evidence of their selective reporting. mr. rogers did more good and spoke more truth in one episode than fox and friends has done its entire tenure on the air.
Wow. You must be one of the intelligent discourse folks I've heard about.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Well, he's right. The Fox & Friends crew, especially that former sportscaster guy Brian whatever his name is (called "not steve ducey" by Colbert) make O'Reilly and Hannity look like Katie Couric at times. Even by FNC standards, they're pretty shitty. I watch them sometimes just for the entertainment value they give me (while I don't consider FNC a worthy source of news & information, they're great entertainment in small doses). I would never accuse any of them of being fair, balanced or even decent.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Braxter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Braxter »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote: Wow. You must be one of the intelligent discourse folks I've heard about.
Yes I am. These people are notorious for making shit up. This story is no different...I just got off so I'm heading home, but I'll contribute my findings later tonight for your edification. You can thank me then.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Braxter wrote:
Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote: Wow. You must be one of the intelligent discourse folks I've heard about.
Yes I am. These people are notorious for making shit up. This story is no different...I just got off so I'm heading home, but I'll contribute my findings later tonight for your edification. You can thank me then.
Oh. I look forward to this. You're going to prove newpeople make things up and put their own personal feelings into their reporting? Wow. Shocking.

Try and put your blind hatred for Foxnews a side and focus on the story. Either you believe being told your special over and over as a child can help contribute to an entitlement generation or you don't.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

What makes you think his "hatred" is blind?
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:
Braxter wrote:those snakes on fox and friends are a far fucking cry from anchors, newscasters, or journalists. they're racist talking heads with no moral center and a propensity to belittle shit rather than discuss it. if you press pause at just the right time when one of them is talking, you can actually see a venom sac. the shit i've seen coming out of this show is vile even by fox standards. the worst part is, they are so fucking jolly for the entire show. this story is just more evidence of their selective reporting. mr. rogers did more good and spoke more truth in one episode than fox and friends has done its entire tenure on the air.
Don't I feel like a mug, for like 2 seconds earlier today I honestly thought Midnyte was sincere in his desire to start afresh.
Last edited by Nick on July 13, 2007, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:What makes you think his "hatred" is blind?
those snakes on fox and friends are a far fucking cry from anchors, newscasters, or journalists. they're racist talking heads with no moral center and a propensity to belittle shit rather than discuss it. if you press pause at just the right time when one of them is talking, you can actually see a venom sac.

Oh gee, I don't know. Seems blind to me. Also seems ironic. Exactly what he's acusing them of is what he is doing.
a propensity to belittle shit rather than discuss it.
Wow.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Nick wrote:
Are you actually defending Fox news? That's embarrasing, even for you.
I find the topic a valid one and worth discussion. I could care less which network decided to bring it up.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

You obviously care enough to defend it with a derisive misplaced sense of reason. You mention irony, yet fail to see the irony in a man who claims to see the big picture defending Fox News.

Disregarding the topic at hand, why would you defend Fox news? You want to be seen as a reasonable man? Give me a singular reason why defending Fox News is admirable, reasonable, intelligent or part of the continuation/contribution to the thread?

Cue "lol im older and wiser and see bigger picture/unimaginable self righteousness" spiel for the billionth time.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Fox's right-wing bias and spinmeistering is well documented. This is particularly true of their commentators, which is all that the F&F cast are, lacking any true journalistic credibility. Rejecting FNC as a legitimate news source, or even hating them, for their unfiltered regurgitation of (RNC|White House|Heritage Foundation|American Enterprise Institute)-provided talking points, or their incessant right-wing cheerleading does not equal "blind hatred." Blind hatred is dislike for no reason at all (like my irrational hatred for midgets), which is certainly not the case here.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

You're attacking me instead of discussing the topic. But, I've ruined this forum? LOL
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

How about you answer the question instead of hiding behind Btard LOL language?
Markulas
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Markulas »

I really don't see how Mr. Rogers is responsible for the entitlement problem found in many kids. The childrens parents, or environment at home, have to have a much larger impact in regard to entitlement than a television show the child may or may not watch.

If fox news was fair and balanced democrats would have agreed to appear on their primary debate, however democrats declined to just like republicans declined to debate on Huffington Post. Of course the typical conservative response would be that all news networks other than fox are so skewed left that it makes fox news seem right.
I'm going to live forever or die trying
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Nick wrote:How about you answer the question instead of hiding behind Btard LOL language?
I answered your question already, you illiterate ignorant spoiled twit. It's not my fucking problem you continue to ask the same question over and over even though it has already been answered. You remind me of my 6 year old.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Christ almighty Noel was right, you really have just fucking ruined this forum. What a waste of time even bothering to talk to such a fucking moron. Illiterate? Hahahahahaha!

As for the "spoiled" comment, what the fuck are you even talking about?

Idiot.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Wow.
It certainly doesn't smell fresh in here.

So anyways, fuck Fox News... The whole thing that makes Fox different, to me, is that the 'anchors' actually inject MORE of their personal feelings into a story than other networks. It seems like the rules of journalism are line-item vetoed at Fox and it's actually recommended. With that, a simple story can take on an interesting life... when really it should just be news. I'm surprised that research was conducted about Mr. Rogers, and curious the reason for airing this story at all, when surely there are more important stories those retards could butcher.

Lets go big picture here :) and look at the message behind this story:

1. Implied upon everyone: You're not special. Get to work, you Meat Battery.
2. Directed at a generation: You young kids just don't get it... We walked four miles barefoot to school in the morning, uphill, both ways. See 1.

thoughts?
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:You're attacking me instead of discussing the topic. But, I've ruined this forum? LOL
Seems like you flung the first piece of shit with "Wow. You must be one of the intelligent discourse folks I've heard about." YOU ARE the first person in this thread to say something about a person and not about what they said.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Can we just focus in on the topics at hand and not get so personal and turn every thread into a slew of personal disgust and hatred?

--
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:I think it's a valid arguement. I loved Mr. Rogers, but I can see the point of researchers who say that being told you are special over and over as a child could fill them with a sense of entitlement. That sense of entitlement sure seems to be a big problem with todays generation versus past generations. I applaud Fox News for doing a piece on this. I find it hard to believe they were the only news netwrok that choice to cover this piece, but if that is the case, then maybe that is a good example why we should get our news from multiple sources.
I'm sure "a sense of entitlement" is as big an issue as "lack of self worth". Sure, one of them leads to filthy hippies fucking each other for a week in the mud, and the other one leads to... pretty much all the ills of society.

Sorry, I don't buy it, and I don't buy your "support" of this story. It's just more trolling.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:I think it's a valid arguement. I loved Mr. Rogers, but I can see the point of researchers who say that being told you are special over and over as a child could fill them with a sense of entitlement. That sense of entitlement sure seems to be a big problem with todays generation versus past generations. I applaud Fox News for doing a piece on this. I find it hard to believe they were the only news netwrok that choice to cover this piece, but if that is the case, then maybe that is a good example why we should get our news from multiple sources.
You think it's a valid argument do you? You are a fucking degenerate troll. Nevermind the fact that the fucking story is not even news worthy. I can find you a study on horse feces but you won't see NBC putting it on the air. If you actually WATCH the clip with an objective mind, something you're completely incapable of despite your cum guzzler repeating the mantra of big picture, you would see the incredible amount of bias they throw into the story. This is one study from one dude that has yet to be examined by other experts. Faux News reports this as "a chorus of people" which if you don't count the people working at Faux News is 1 fucking person. They over and over attempt to make this sound as if it is some fucking phenomenon in society when it SHOULDN'T EVEN BE ON THE FUCKING AIR. Congratulations on actually missing the big picture as you have time and time again you ignorant troll.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Braxter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Braxter »

I started this with my personal views of Fox and Friends. Mid challenged me on it and I said I'd back my statements up tonight, which I'm now doing. I was a little snide in my comments, but that show really chaps my hide. Mid, sorry for being rude to you. However, I won't apologize for my comments about Fox and Friends.
Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:Oh. I look forward to this. You're going to prove newpeople make things up and put their own personal feelings into their reporting? Wow. Shocking.

Try and put your blind hatred for Foxnews a side and focus on the story. Either you believe being told your special over and over as a child can help contribute to an entitlement generation or you don't.
Yes, I'm going to prove Fox and Friends (not newspeople or Fox news, just this one show) makes things up. You shouldn't back that position so readily. Making things up in journalism is not a good thing. As to your second point, I do think instilling a sense of entitlement into children is a bad thing. And I think that being told over and over again that you're special *may* contribute to that attitude. But without any studies done on the matter, I don't really know. However, I think that it is the responsibility of PARENTS to put such statements in context. Regardless, that's not what this piece or this thread is about. We're talking about Mr. Rogers -- he did not instill the false sense of entitlement in anyone. Fox and Friends is placing the blame on a man who is arguably one of the greatest Americans who ever lived. And when I say arguably, I mean that I myself will argue it if you like.

I have no blind hatred for Fox News. My opinions about Fox and Friends, while extreme, are opinions formed from watching the show many times. I do in fact get my news from multiple sources and Fox is one of them. I can post ad nauseum about each and every comment of mine that you put in bold. Point to any of them and I'll do a full spread about why I believe it just like I'm doing here...my schedule permitting of course. Here's my analysis of the Mr. Rogers slam (the time markers in these quotes correspond with the youtube video linked above):
0:23 wrote:These experts are saying that the kids of today who grew up with Mr. Rogers were told by him, "you're special just for bein' who you are." Well here's the problem: a lot gets lost in that whole self-esteem business and the idea of being special comes from working hard and having high expectations for yourself -- discounted.
Okay nothing wrong with that right? Mr. Rogers did say those things, and perhaps even the self-esteem points are spot on. But who exactly are these experts?
1:01 wrote:This comes out of Louisiana State University. A professor there has examined just what damage Mr. Rogers may have done to this whole crop of kids who now feel entitled just for being them. And what he says is instead of telling them, you know you're special, you're great, why didn't he just say, "you know what, there's a lot of room for improvement. Keep working on yourself."
So who is this professor out of Louisiana State University? The professor is Don Chance. Mr. Chance recently (July 5) did an interview with the Wall Street Journal about comments he made on his personal LSU website about his dislikes. It is important here to note that Mr. Chance has no expertise in the areas of psychology, psychiatry, sociology or really anything that would legitimize his statements about Mr. Rogers' contribution to the sense of entitlement his students feel.

So what does Mr. Chance do? He's a professor of finance. He teaches primarily freshman level classes and has published three books, according to his personal site all of which had nothing to do with anything related to this thread. So how exactly did he "examine just what damage Mr. Rogers may have done?" He didn't. He posted some musings on his 'dislikes' page and it was picked up by WSJ and made into a story.
1:37 wrote:You know what, there's some other information regarding this. When you look at the American students from Asian countries who did not watch, according to the research, did not watch Mr. Rogers, when they get a B or a C they go, "hmm, I got a B or a C, I gotta work harder," which is a little different than ... [the rest is garbled]
According to the research? What research? Since Mr. Chance did no such research, where did this come from? Well, in the WSJ article, there is mention of research about narcissism that comes out of San Diego State University. I looked into this and found that a psychology professor there, Jean Twenge, has done significant research in the areas of narcissism. Here is a link to the research paper on the subject (it was a pdf which I viewed as html, hence the highlighted search strings...sry bout those). In the paper, they compare the narcissistic qualities among various age and ethnic groups and correlate it to the sense of entitlement felt by the same groups. Important to the present case is the fact that the paper never discusses which of these groups watched Mr. Rogers. It doesn't even mention the show.

So how exactly do asian kids relate to the issue of Mr. Rogers instilling a sense of entitlement? Again, it's not based on research. Fox and Friends is here just regurgitating what was quoted in the WSJ article:
The Wall Street Journal wrote:Prof. Chance teaches many Asian-born students, and says they accept whatever grade they're given; they see B's and C's as an indication that they must work harder, and that their elders assessed them accurately. They didn't grow up with Mr. Rogers or anyone else telling them they were born special.

By contrast, American students often view lower grades as a reason to "hit you up for an A because they came to class and feel they worked hard," says Prof. Chance. He wishes more parents would offer kids this perspective: "The world owes you nothing. You have to work and compete. If you want to be special, you'll have to prove it."
Throughout the next section, from 2:21 to 4:50, the three 'hosts' go on to confuse the LSU professor who simply made random comments about Mr. Rogers, with the study on narcissism. They also just randomly make a couple of things up.

So what I think happened is this: the producers, researchers or whatever at Fox and Friends picked up the Wall Street Journal, read the article, and decided it would be a good topic for their show. In their reading, they confused the study on narcissism with the statements of the LSU professor. Either that or they did it intentionally to give the LSU professor's claims some legitimacy. If they were earnestly confused, then their lack of reading and fact checking skills is fucking abysmal. If they did it intentionally, then the whole segment can easily be labeled propaganda. In either case, this is not fucking journalism and the claims that Mr. Rogers contributed to the attitude of entitlement are totally unfounded.

Is that all? No. The day that the show aired, Mr. Chance called in to Fox and retracted his statements:
Don Chance wrote:The reference to Mr. Rogers was just a metaphor. I have no professional qualifications to evaluate the real problems or propose solutions. Mr. Rogers was a great American. I watched him with my children and wouldn’t hesitate to do so again if I had young children.
The apology was aired the next day. Here is the link to what Fox and Friends had to say about the whole situation (sorry for the liberal blog link...but they post a video from Fox that I couldn't find elsewhere). Notice a couple of things about this video segment. First, the show is now all for Mr. Rogers. He "is just a great guy...and basically infused in people a great sense of who they are." Second, there is NO mention of the "research" that they talked about on the previous day, NO mention of their own fuck up in mixing up the research and the professor's random comments, and NO apology for backing said comments.

Mr. Chance has since removed his Mr. Rogers rant from his website. But his "metaphor" funneled through WSJ to Fox and Friends, and now there's a shit ton of material on the web about how Mr. Rogers ruined our country. There's also a shit ton about how bogus such an idea is. But that does little to take away from the fact that a good (dead) man's name got dragged through the mud.

Do you see why I hate the show now?
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Braxter <3
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Markulas
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Markulas »

True for the most part Braxter.

I especially like this quote:
You know what, there's some other information regarding this. When you look at the American students from Asian countries who did not watch, according to the research, did not watch Mr. Rogers, when they get a B or a C they go, "hmm, I got a B or a C, I gotta work harder," which is a little different than ...
Is he talking about american students who are originally from Asia? Does he realize that Mr. Rogers is not the only difference between people born from Asia and America? Is he aware of complex cultural differences between asia and america? Does he realize american students from asia are here because they studied and worked extremely hard in the first place? Thus, very few students from asia are going feel they have entitlement when they busted their asses off to study here. The research presented is clear and utter bullshit. It goes against the principles of science and sociology/psychology. It's difficult to believe in an argument that is based on this drivel. The paper you linked Braxter was at least somewhat informative, however the conclusion was that you cannot pinpoint where these causes of narcissism come from. Correlation does not mean causation which is exactly what the paper is trying to say, but the media has never given two shits about that.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

Two points for Braxter.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Braxter wrote:

No. You can disect every "news" show this way. You have torn apart everything, but the topic at hand in this story about how we live in an entitlement society. The Mr. Rogers thing is worthy of a glance at one of a million things that got us to this point. Enjoy those 2 points as a reward of fucking up another thread. You're so cool.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:Enjoy those 2 points as a reward of fucking up another thread. You're so cool.
Your trolling is a bit obvious now. Or your stupidity. I bet you're laughing now at any one those people, which I wasn't one of, who actually thought you were serious about a 'fresh start.'

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

What makes you think that telling a child that they are special could possibly cause "entitlement" issues with a generation of children? Did you ever actually watch the show, or are you judging it based on this story and others like it?
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:
Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:Enjoy those 2 points as a reward of fucking up another thread. You're so cool.
Your trolling is a bit obvious now. Or your stupidity. I bet you're laughing now at any one those people, which I wasn't one of, who actually thought you were serious about a 'fresh start.'
I didn't start all of this, but I was serious and still am. If I continue to get attacked, I will fight back. Simple. It is very obvious to me, there are too many people who cannot stop attacking long enough to have a discussion. It's really too bad. Maybe we should have a FF Current Events Forum. It would be nice. I'm on the verge on quitting soon, so maybe all the uber cool neato super intelligent posters will flock back to partake in this high society banter.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

No you retard, you started it. YOU started the personal attacks in this thread.
Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:Wow. You must be one of the intelligent discourse folks I've heard about.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Lynks wrote:No you retard, you started it. YOU started the personal attacks in this thread.
Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:Wow. You must be one of the intelligent discourse folks I've heard about.
Wow. Yeah, that's awful. How hurtful. Gosh, I hope he doesn't have to go to therapy to recover from my viscious attack. Golly.

You win. I'm outta here. For good this time.
Markulas
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Markulas »

Although mid did start with the snide remark nick did attack him later in the thread. What i dont see is why braxter said this:
I started this with my personal views of Fox and Friends. Mid challenged me on it and I said I'd back my statements up tonight, which I'm now doing. I was a little snide in my comments, but that show really chaps my hide. Mid, sorry for being rude to you. However, I won't apologize for my comments about Fox and Friends.
Braxter had no need to apologize for being rude since he wasn't at all. He was being rude towards fox news not mid himself. Mid seems to have displaced his anger on braxter rather than nick. Braxter did stray from the topic slightly on fox news, but that's where the story orginated. Braxter further expressed his views on fox news in a more in-depth way in his later post, but still took the time to find a published peer review study on the entitlement topic.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Braxter wrote:

No. You can disect every "news" show this way. You have torn apart everything, but the topic at hand in this story about how we live in an entitlement society. The Mr. Rogers thing is worthy of a glance at one of a million things that got us to this point. Enjoy those 2 points as a reward of fucking up another thread. You're so cool.

I'm going to just post a conversation I had with my brother.
Megatron says:
isn't it past your bedtime?
dobraf says:
yo
Megatron says:
i really liked your post about the mr. rogers story
dobraf says:
=D
Megatron says:
however, the way i talked to midnyte is the only way to talk to a degenerate monkey
dobraf says:
took me bout 15 minutes this afternoon to find all that shit & 2 hrs to write it up tonight
dobraf says:
I disagree...I'm a teacher ;p
Megatron says:
i know what his reply will be exactly
dobraf says:
?
Megatron says:
he will completely ignore all of your research, and harp on the point that american kids are filled with a sense of entitlement
dobraf says:
i should also say that i posted all that for everyone, not just him
Megatron says:
he will use the san diego state study as his justification
dobraf says:
did you watch the video about the apology?
Megatron says:
yes
dobraf says:
i lol'd
Megatron says:
i didn't even watch the entire first clip because i felt like my brain might explode
dobraf says:
at the end they have a guest who makes a good point: mr. rogers didn't hurt anyone
dobraf says:
but it gets lost in the noise
Megatron says:
anyway, midnyte will not even mention or much less realize the fact that mr. rogers peak popularity was during his own childhood
Megatron says:
he is 37ish
Megatron says:
so basically, he will have completely bought (hook, line, and sinker) the propaganda fox threw at him, disregarding that if the fox story had any credibility whatsoever, his own generation is the one which would feel the most sense of entitlement
dobraf says:
yes! it will be glorious!
Megatron says:
and i'm going to save this conversation and post it as soon as he responds to prove i know how a monkey brain works
dobraf says:
rofl
dobraf says:
he might also take take my challenge and ask me to explain why I think you can see their venom sacs if you pause it at just the right time
Megatron says:
no no
Megatron says:
listen, he understands he can no longer defend fox's "reporting" at least on this story
Megatron says:
so he will only harp on the entitlement aspect until some other fake news appears and he'll defend that
See you later midnyte. I hope you never return, but my guess is that it will be less than a day before you post in this very thread. If I'm wrong (which is rare), and you never post on VV again, you will have raised the average IQ of this community by at least 20 points with your departure.

Bye now, troll.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

"I wanted a trolley when I was a kid. One never materialized, I'm sorry to say. The show is awesome."

Jesus Christ, how the FUCK DO PEOPLE WATCH THIS CHANNEL.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Yeah, I was also trying to figure out which generation he was referring to. I think the one he meant to talk about was more hooked on Power Rangers than Mister Rogers.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Kaldaur wrote:"I wanted a trolley when I was a kid. One never materialized, I'm sorry to say. The show is awesome."

Jesus Christ, how the FUCK DO PEOPLE WATCH THIS CHANNEL.
At least Fox News doesn't have Nancy Grace. I want to tear out my eyeballs and shove them in my ears anytime I pass by CNN and her show is on!
Braxter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Braxter »

Markulas wrote:Although mid did start with the snide remark nick did attack him later in the thread. What i dont see is why braxter said this:
Braxter had no need to apologize for being rude since he wasn't at all. He was being rude towards fox news not mid himself. Mid seems to have displaced his anger on braxter rather than nick. Braxter did stray from the topic slightly on fox news, but that's where the story orginated. Braxter further expressed his views on fox news in a more in-depth way in his later post, but still took the time to find a published peer review study on the entitlement topic.
I said that because I may have come across sounding like a boorish snob when I said that I'll post later for his edification and that he can thank me then. There really wasn't any need for that. Oh and Mak, yes I was ready to make that exact argument about the correlation/causation thing...but my primary objective was to expose the lie...arguing against the segment would have given it a legitimacy it did not deserve.

One of Mid's replies to me made a very good point -- I did the exact thing I blamed Fox & Friends of doing. Though I did not attack anyone on these forums, I nevertheless did attack. But I'm fine with that...like I said I detest that show and am ready to back up anything I said in my original post. Unlike Fox & Friends, I can be brought to task about my comments. And I was.
Though this was the first ad hominem remark towards a poster on these forums, it paled in comparison to what everyone else did in response to it. And it was a royal fucking gangbang.

So there was an obvious communication breakdown in this thread. Midnyte applauded Fox for bringing the issue of entitlement into the spotlight, I attacked Fox (& Friends) for doing it by lying. His point is still valid and deserved to be addressed, but what he (you Midnyte, because I know you're reading this) failed to see was that THIS THREAD is about their blaming Mr. Rogers for it. That's what my post was about...that's why I poured acid onto the screen, that's why I did research into this specific show.

Then, I agreed with you...AGREED...that the sense of entitlement felt by American youth is a problem. I was ready to discuss it too, but the rest of my post never strayed from the original topic.

The thing is, when you challenged me, I said that I would back up MY STATEMENTS, not address the overall story that American kids feel entitled. I told you I would show you why Fox & Friends are filthy liars, and I did just that...pretty fucking successfully too ;p.
Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:No. You can disect every "news" show this way. You have torn apart everything, but the topic at hand in this story about how we live in an entitlement society. The Mr. Rogers thing is worthy of a glance at one of a million things that got us to this point. Enjoy those 2 points as a reward of fucking up another thread. You're so cool.
But that's just it, just because you can dissect these shows doesn't mean that people do. That's why I scream at the top of my lungs when I see shit like this...people need to be informed when lies are being passed off as truth. I'm very much in favor of a public debate about the topic you wanted to address...but again, in this post, and on that episode of Fox & Friends, Mr. Rogers was the topic.

One last thing, and this one I'm really very curious about. Did you mean to imply that *I* fucked up another thread? Or that another thread has been fucked up...this time by me? If it's the former, please show me where I've fucked up a thread in the past because you might have me confused with someone else. If it's the latter, then it's just a false statement.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Braxter wrote:Though this was the first ad hominem remark towards a poster on these forums, it paled in comparison to what everyone else did in response to it. And it was a royal fucking gangbang.
I just have to take exception to this. For my part, I simply questioned and then rebutted (sorry, I wasn't willing to put the time into it that you did for your excellent response) the assertion that disdain for Fox, specifically for the F&F crew, is somehow blind hatred. I wasn't alone in questioning this. There was no attack on Midnyte in my posts, or in most others. One might stretch things a bit and claim that Nick was mildly confrontational initially by asking how Midnyte could defend FNC, but I don't think anything he said could really be called an attack. Even so, Midnyte jumped at the opportunity to fling poo at Nick early on. Only after Midnyte's meltdown did others begin to pile on him, but it's important to remember that they were only responding after Midnyte bollocksed up the thread.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

In all honesty I don't give a shit who the first person to attack another in this thread is. Midnyte takes every opportunity to fling shit at people then denies that he is responsible for his own fucking actions. His mantra of personal accountability and responsibility and big picture and how he's older and wiser and more sophisticated than the rest of us is constantly and flagrantly contradicted by his own actions. He deserves to be verbally bitch slapped at every turn (as he has been), not because of this thread or any other, but because he refuses to take accountability for his own fucking actions. It is not surprising at all that he boorishly defends others who do the same, namely, the current administration.
Al
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Al »

Lynks wrote:No you retard, you started it. YOU started the personal attacks in this thread.
Wow. Yeah, that's awful. How hurtful. Gosh, I hope he doesn't have to go to therapy to recover from my viscious attack. Golly.

You win. I'm outta here. For good this time.
Slander is slander, regardless of how harmless it may seem. You did make the first demeaning remark in this thread (excepting those made towards our honorable and courteous friends at the Fox News Channel [/sarcasm]).
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

How unreasonable do you want to be Midnyte? Running away because you simply do not have the honesty to admit that you were initiating the very thing you accused others of.

:roll:
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Nick wrote:How unreasonable do you want to be Midnyte? Running away because you simply do not have the honesty to admit that you were initiating the very thing you accused others of.

:roll:
Please, I called him on that twice in two threads, and it was a lot more than the passive-agressive bullshit he tried in this one.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
eOmniz
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by eOmniz »

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/5943?rss
2. He Made Thieves Think Twice
According to a TV Guide piece on him, Fred Rogers drove a plain old Impala for years. One day, however, the car was stolen from the street near the TV station. When Rogers filed a police report, the story was picked up by every newspaper, radio and media outlet around town. Amazingly, within 48 hours the car was left in the exact spot where it was taken from, with an apology on the dashboard. It read, “If we’d known it was yours, we never would have taken it.”
There are a lot of things to blame for the state of our nation's attitude when it comes to a lack of altruism or thinking beyond yourself, but Mr. Rogers is not should not be one of them. It was a feel good show that was an injection of positivity for a generation whose babysitter was the television, with nothing but good intentions behind it.
Current Incarnations:
Flintler, EQ2, Crushbone, HOOAC
Grahmiam, WoW, Firetree, The Crazy 88