Vista or XP?

Support, Discussion, Reviews
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Could you two kindly shut the fuck up?
Your bickering is getting really tiresome.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

No. Every post in this thread has been on topic, so no, I will not shut the fuck up.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

I enjoy it, so please don't stop.

Btw, 52 posts and still no good reason to move to Vista.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

One of the things I love with Vista is that embedded search bar in the start menu.

Hit the Window Key, type in what you want and it displays your stuff.

It also doubles as the run box as well. If the app is in the default path, it will simply run. If you type in a unc path, then it will open that.

Now I just need to get used to using the Windows Key instead of cursing it. =)
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Animalor wrote:Now I just need to get used to using the Windows Key instead of cursing it. =)
You can enable the run icon in the start menu.
You can also add a search box to your taskbar... or make a new floating taskbar on your desktop.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I knew about the run box and have it enabled already (on both my vista machines).

Didn't know about the search box in the taskbar or floating though.

Thanks Miir
MooZilla
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by MooZilla »

noel wrote:Since you asked why I'm SO mean to you in the tech forum, my snarky comment in this thread was fueled by your below post...
Leonaerd wrote:...people who say XP > Vista are just grumpy old men that still don't have cell phones and get angry at people for having sex before marriage.
I have Vista, XP, Mac OS X, and Ubuntu installed on the various machines in my home. I've got a Blackberry 8700c with an unlimited data plan. How does your incorrect opinion about which market segment Vista appeals to make any argument as to why Vista is better than XP?
Leonaerd wrote:Vista is marvelous. It resolves issues without you having to know they existed.
WHAT THE FUCK DOES THAT EVEN MEAN? Give us some examples OH WISE ONE, of what problems Vista is solving for you that you weren't aware existed. :roll:
Leonaerd wrote:It has smooth applications for almost anything you can think of. It has a great spyware tool in Windows Defender.
Which is getting horrible reviews on nearly every reputable network security site.
Leonaerd wrote:Aero is cool.
So cool in fact, that it's recommended you disable it if you spend a lot of time running your laptop on battery because of the additional processing/energy consumption. I'm running it and I like it, but it's nothing more than eye candy. It doesn't dramatically improve the task-switching functionality over XP.
Leonaerd wrote:Dreamscene is pointless but hilariously fun if you get Ultimate (assuming you won't, though).
If a looping video is hilarious fun for you, I pity you.
Leonaerd wrote:The photo / movie program is awesome.
... and yet if you want to do any serious photo or movie editing, you're going to be buying a real piece of software... Just like in XP.
Leonaerd wrote:The sidebar on the right is cool and has tons of downloadable content online.
You're really good at presenting opinions as fact, but let me give you two clues... 'cool', and 'tons' are both your opinions... If you'd like to see what 'tons' really is, check out the amount of Mac 'Widgets' that are available. Their nubmers dwarf what Windows has available... Google desktop widgets are free for XP and do exactly the same thing. The're also 'cool' and there are 'tons'.
Leonaerd wrote:The search function is way better.
Better than Google Desktop or Windows Live Search for XP? Also free, just as good. Better than Copernicus? All of which search your entire harddrive by default, not just your user directory like Vista's.
Leonaerd wrote:The help / support center is comprehensive, intuitive, frequently updated, and fast in its use.
This is different from XP, how?

I'm not even going to address your complaints because they're predictably stupid and irrelevant to the XP vs. Vista discussion.

The real improvements in Vista appear in multi-user environments for shared machines because of the virtualized user resources (which protect user A from infecting users B, C and D on the same machine), environments where you need parental controls, and some of the networking functionality. That said, I find the network configuration panels annoying to navigate compared to the ones in XP.

How about some real, concrete reasons why Vista is better than XP, not just your weak opinions?
Ohhh...Ok. So your cock is that big. I almost forgot.

As someone who uses his computer more than the average user, and is a self acclaimed "gamer" i see no real reason to upgrade to Vista until they work the major kinks out and make it a better option than XP for me. There's nothing that XP Pro doesn't have and makes me say, "shit, i really wish i had vista for that!" DX10 will change that unfortunately...When enough games get DX10 support i'll switch, and not until then.
i am a liberal.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

MooZilla wrote:As someone who uses his computer more than the average user, and is a self acclaimed "gamer" i see no real reason to upgrade to Vista until they work the major kinks out and make it a better option than XP for me.
What kinks?
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Reasons why i won't run Vista without also running XP:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/p ... _cost.html
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Aardor wrote:Reasons why i won't run Vista without also running XP:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/p ... _cost.html
That's a fantastic writeup.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

What a joke:
An example of this might be nVidia TNT2 video cards, which are still very widely deployed in business environments
Widely deployed my ass.
The TNT2 is a 8-9 year old chipset.
I can't think of any situation where any business environment would be running 7+ year old hardware.

The article has some interesting/valid points but his blatant 'anti-microsoft' bias makes it difficult to take seriously.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

miir wrote:I can't think of any situation where any business environment would be running 7+ year old hardware.
Eh, our primary clients are small businesses, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that a lot of them are running old hardware like that. We still get people bitching because we stopped supporting DOS, Windows 95 and Windows 98. For most businesses out there, there's no need to be running on hardware any newer than that, other than being able to run increasingly bloated software suites and OSes.

But I can't imagine those people would have any need to upgrade to XP or Vista.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I guess you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

The article describes that MS added more security in all aspects of it's OS, but at the cost of extra overhead to the PC so they get blamed.

MS aquiesces to the demands of content providers so they don't get sued (with HDCP etc etc.), this requires new hardware and MS gets blamed as well for this. (hint - if you want to lay blame on this, look at your MPAA and RIAA. They're the ones trying to fuck you)

You guys know what was the major cause of Blue Screens in previous versions or Windows? Bad Drivers. Forcing driver makers to make their stuff less prone to errors for certification is a GOOD THING and will lead to less system failures due to software in the long run (shoddy hardware is a different story however).

While it is a great article and it does a good job of displaying limitations of Vista on current hardware, once hardwre vendors start implementing all this necessary tech in their products it'll all really be a non-issue.
Knarlz
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Knarlz »

I can't think of any situation where any business environment would be running 7+ year old hardware.
We run them till they die. typically this is 9 or 10 years.
As the artical says, there is little value added from office 97 to 07
Pride of nationality depends not on ignorance of other nations, but on ignorance of one's own.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

'Widely deployed' to me means that large companies are using said hardware on a large percentage of their workstations.

In context:
An example of this might be nVidia TNT2 video cards, which are still very widely deployed in business environments where they're all that you need to run Word or Outlook or Excel
Why would any company (that is not run by retards) consider running vista in an environment where they are using basic applications?

Why would anyone (who is not mentally handicapped) install an operating system that's worth more than their hardware?

I mean really...
If you're going to make up examples to help prove your point, at least make them somewhat believable.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Knarlz wrote:We run them till they die. typically this is 9 or 10 years.
As the artical says, there is little value added from office 97 to 07

Running a PC until it 'dies' is colossaly stupid.
Hardware is dirt-fucking-cheap these days.
The extra cost involved in maintaining and supporting antiquated hardware exceeds the cost of keeping your PCs up-to-date.

We're working on a Vista COE image.
The added security built into Vista is actually an advantage for our environment. The potential DRM issues are a non-issue in a corporate environment.
Knarlz
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Knarlz »

"Running a PC until it 'dies' is colossaly stupid.
Hardware is dirt-fucking-cheap these days. "

I agree but this company was bankrupt 3 years ago and is still very frugal. The IT guy is trying to phase out older ones and has permission to look for sales on re-hab Dells :roll:
Pride of nationality depends not on ignorance of other nations, but on ignorance of one's own.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:Running a PC until it 'dies' is colossaly stupid.
The extra cost involved in maintaining and supporting antiquated hardware exceeds the cost of keeping your PCs up-to-date.
What's so "colossaly stupid" about it? Regardless of how 'dirt-fucking-cheap' something is it's still an unnecesary expense if what you have is functioning fine. And multiply that by 50 or 100+ workstations and it starts to add up.

What sort of "extra cost" is involved? It's not like a car where after so many miles it starts breaking down all the time. In most cases it either works or it doesn't. You may have to replace a drive now and again but that's about it.

You're the sort of person salepeople love having in charge of company procurement.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Believe it or not, there are certain applications running on older hardware and operating systems in many corporate environments that are either not able to be upgraded due to software reasons, or not needed to be ugpraded because it's doing the job that's needed.

While I certainly see the retardation you speak of, the reality is... reality doesn't work that way.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

miir wrote:I can't think of any situation where any business environment would be running 7+ year old hardware.
Until recently everyone on my team was for our desktop-type systems, it's not at all uncommon. If it wasn't for increased resource demands from the newer and still supported desktop OSs we really wouldn't have had a reason to upgrade even now.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The company I'm with leases their computers from Dell so every three years, the PC's are upgraded. My latest work PC is an Intel Dual Core e6xxx so it's nice to have something that will most likely last for three years.

Any sizable company should probably consider a lease program. Motorola had the same deal going with Dell while I was with them.

I'm running XP at work and doubt it will be upgraded until next year. That's fine by me though. I run RDP full screen so it's like Im using Vista anyway.

All you see is online people saying, "I'm waiting for the first service pack before upgrading" which is basically almost the default response these days. I'm pretty sure Microsoft understands this and plans it into their sales forecasts internally. Their first Vista service pack was probably almost done before release with the plan of releasing it a set amount of months after Vista's official release just to get the sheep that automatically will wait for SP1 even if all it does is include an updated blackjack game.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

It is more cost effective and less labour intensive keep your hardware up-to-date then it is to support 5+ year old hardware... especially when you take into account the man-hours lost when systems go down due to hardware failure.

Using shitty old antiquated hardware is fine if your company is not dependant on time-sensitive transactions or support.

I'm not sure what kind of companies you guys work with/for but believe it or not, a lot of places actually require their systems to be reliable.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

What sort of "extra cost" is involved? It's not like a car where after so many miles it starts breaking down all the time. In most cases it either works or it doesn't. You may have to replace a drive now and again but that's about it.
Power supplies, hard dives, optical drives, RAM upgrades, etc.

Once the warranty runs out, repairs cost $$.
The cost of a RAM upgrade, PS and HD replacement will pretty much cover the cost of a brand fucking new PC. After 5 years those types of failures are commonplace.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

miir wrote:I'm not sure what kind of companies you guys work with/for but believe it or not, a lot of places actually require their systems to be reliable.
So, something that has worked very well for several years is shitty? I think that might be part of the puzzle you are missing. Yes, upgrading can be better in most situations. Many companies still operate using antiquated programs that have been patched over and developed until there is nothing but a shell of the original program remaining. One of the biggest things that does remain of the original would be the parts which help to keep it stable. If you take that patchwork piece of software and throw it into a new machine with a new OS, your costs go up even more than it did just from upgrading every video card in your enterprise since you will now also be paying your support staff more to either "fix" the problem or rewrite the software which your company has to have.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Who said anything about sacrificing reliability?

My brother-in-law works for Intel. We got into a lengthy discussion about Intel's plans to move their internal network to IPv6. One of their major hurdles is that they have systems that only run on Windows 95 that are used in chip fabrication that CANNOT be upgraded.

The 9-1-1 system for LA City is using Windows NT 4.0 workstations as clients.

There are a multitude of education, government and large organizations that are still running Win2k as clients and have no intention of upgrading. I see it every day. It does everything they need it to do is reliable and stable and runs on most modern inexpensive hardware.

Why is this so hard to understand?

BTW, your hardware costs are idiotic. If you as an IT administrator know you're working for an organization that's going to be supporting hardware for 10+ years, YOU FUCKING PLAN FOR THAT during the procurement. You work it into your service agreements up front, and you plan sparing accordingly. It's really not that hard.

Edit: It should be noted that I'm talking specifically about client workstations other than the Intel example. The majority of the time, the datacenters are upgraded with the most modern shit. It's kind of gotten back to a thinner-client mainframe-like mentality in a lot of cases.
Last edited by noel on May 24, 2007, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Reliability never existed before Vista!! OMG TOW THE COMPANY LINE!! BUY SAVINGS BONDS, I MEAN BUY VISTA!! IT HAS DX10!!
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I've encountered several large national banks, insurance companies and finance companies that rely on old hardware for their clients. Many of these client machines do not need (or even have) optical drives, and need only minimal hard drives or memory. You don't need a modern PC to run a few internal applications, a tn3270 client and an e-mail client or maybe a browser for internal web-based applications. HDDs and PSUs can be replaced easily and quickly when systems employ a standard image. The support costs are easily accommodated and generally cheaper than the lease payments for 1000+ new systems that aren't necessary. Personally, I'd prefer to turn over PCs more often, but I've seen plenty of examples where not doing so works perfectly fine. It all depends on the needs of the installed client user base.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Janx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Janx

Post by Janx »

We're just now in the process of upgrading win95/nt machines to 2000. Although every new machine we get comes with XP, we cannot use it due to our custom software not being tested with it...le sigh. Govt. ftw.

Best part about it is 2000 is a legacy operating system and isn't supposed to be allowed on the network ^^
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

miir wrote:Running a PC until it 'dies' is colossaly stupid.
We still have 6 more months where we are forced to run a couple of 486s on Win95 because the app they run can not run on ANYTHING else. These are must-haves for our hardware production environment. For regular office environment use you would be stupid to constantly update your machines. Bet your sales reps love you.

miir wrote:We're working on a Vista COE image.
The added security built into Vista is actually an advantage for our environment. The potential DRM issues are a non-issue in a corporate environment.
Bullshit. There are known issues related to Vista which has, for now, made it very clear that it is not ready for us to roll out. The docking station issue alone is a show stopper.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

What docking station issue? My Compaq nc6400 with port replicator works just fine with vista business..
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Repeated issues with Dells and the docking stations. It simply doesn't send a signal to the monitor. Happened to multiple machines, multiple docking stations and multiple Vista installs here and only while running Vista. Dell has had no answer as of yet. From what we have experienced it can work fine for a while and then just randomly start. Total pain in the ass.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Are the Dells using Nvidia cards? I had a similar issue on my desktop with one of the Nvidia drivers? Either way there's likely nothing you can do without Dell addressing the driver issue. =\
MooZilla
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by MooZilla »

noel wrote:
MooZilla wrote:As someone who uses his computer more than the average user, and is a self acclaimed "gamer" i see no real reason to upgrade to Vista until they work the major kinks out and make it a better option than XP for me.
What kinks?
The driver issues with nVidia and game performance problems are major kinks to me. It's no secret that XP is the preferred gaming platform. However, the average user isn't really affected by this, so there may not be any "kinks" to them if they don't game.
i am a liberal.
MooZilla
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by MooZilla »

Yes, my XPS uses a nVidia card. We can use non-Dell drivers though. I do...

Actually, Dell just switched to ATI a few months back, so people with newer machines may not be subject to the nVidia fuckjob on Vista.
i am a liberal.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

I have an Nvidia card, and I game. What games are you having issues with? What card do you have and what driver version are you using?

Company of Heroes doesn't count.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

It's not just CoH. It's every intense 3d application. CoH is just the example I used because it's what I desperately craved at the time.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

It's not every intense 3D application you fucking mong. I can run 3dMark '2006 for hours at a time with no fucking issue.

It's entirely you, your shitty way of doing things, your overestimation of your own ability, and your utter lack of a fucking clue.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re:

Post by Leonaerd »

noel wrote:It's not every intense 3D application you fucking mong. I can run 3dMark '2006 for hours at a time with no fucking issue.

It's entirely you, your shitty way of doing things, your overestimation of your own ability, and your utter lack of a fucking clue.
Yeaaaah Noel. That's exactly what's going on.

Nvidia's official response to the known issue.

1,000 reply thread illustrating the problem.

On a forum where the average thread gets five replies, this one issue has been active and on the front page of the forum since mid-January. Still believe it doesn't exist?
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Vista or XP?

Post by noel »

I'm running it on my setup with no issue. I don't actually like the game, but I decided to run it just for you since you're such a little bitch about it. I'm running the 100.65 beta drivers on my 8800GTX OC under Vista. I'm up to mission 7 - Sottevast, and you're still a tool. Nothing new to see here.
Last edited by noel on May 30, 2007, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

When I was still in customer support, it was not uncommon to get a call from someone who was running Windows 98.. We stop supporting something the day Microsoft does, but like many people have said - there are a lot of companies out there that just plain don't need it.

A good example is; a good portion of the people that use our web based product work in a warehouse. These people usually have 1 or 2 extremely simplistic programs they run all day and that is it, why would they need a core 2 duo processor?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I messed with that too but I'm on XP. 1920x1200 with all max settings and haven't noticed any frame rate issues. I'm not much of a RTS person but thought I'd give it a try to see how my system went. I too am up to #7. #6 took me like 4 hours!
We understand that many users have expressed frustration with this issue, and we apologize for the inconvenience. Since the NVIDIA v101.41 beta driver release, NVIDIA has been fixing many TDR issues reported by users. Our software team is currently preparing a new driver which will dramatically reduce the number of TDR errors that users have reported on the forums.
It's nice that you don't have the issue. But that doesn't mean everyone is as fortunate.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:I messed with that too but I'm on XP. 1920x1200 with all max settings and haven't noticed any frame rate issues. I'm not much of a RTS person but thought I'd give it a try to see how my system went. I too am up to #7. #6 took me like 4 hours!
We understand that many users have expressed frustration with this issue, and we apologize for the inconvenience. Since the NVIDIA v101.41 beta driver release, NVIDIA has been fixing many TDR issues reported by users. Our software team is currently preparing a new driver which will dramatically reduce the number of TDR errors that users have reported on the forums.
It's nice that you don't have the issue. But that doesn't mean everyone is as fortunate.
How dare you question him! He is never wrong.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Oh don't get me wrong, I believe that some people are having the issue. I even believe that a LOT of people are having the issue. That's not what's causing me to flame him. What's causing me to flame him is when he repeatedly makes idiotic statements like:
Leonaerd wrote:It's every intense 3d application.
There is NO problem with Windows Vista + Every Nvidia card + EVERY 3D application. None.

I'm certain there's an issue with Company of Heroes, and if he'd just say, I'm having a problem with:

Windows Vista + Specific Nvidia card + Specific Nvidia Driver Range + ONE SPECIFIC application.

I wouldn't even bother posting. So if he wants to rescind his uninformed, idiotic, blanket statements and make a specific statement about the problem he's having, I'll not only not respond, but I'd even be willing to pass on any information I find about potential solutions. I'm pretty regularly hitting guru3d.com as I'm still waiting for a totally stable non-beta driver (even though in a non-SLI configuration I have no issues at all with the 100.65 driver).

Funk, I can see where you'd not understand the difference between a technical problem that you don't understand and narrowing the scope of the problem to something that's manageable and understandable since you've proven repeatedly on this forum that you not only lack any technical expertise but also the ability to learn.

The last time I checked, this forum was about helping each other with technical issues, learning about new technology, and keeping each other informed about existing technology. Misinformation and FUD doesn't help anyone, and I'll call it every time I fucking see it.

Edit: Oh and one more thing. Not only am I occasionally wrong, I post as much when I find out. You might have noticed a thread regarding office '07 that you posted in like yesterday where I apologize to Siji for being wrong...
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

noel wrote:Oh don't get me wrong, I believe that some people are having the issue. I even believe that a LOT of people are having the issue. That's not what's causing me to flame him. What's causing me to flame him is when he repeatedly makes idiotic statements like:
Leonaerd wrote:It's every intense 3d application.
There is NO problem with Windows Vista + Every Nvidia card + EVERY 3D application. None.

I'm certain there's an issue with Company of Heroes, and if he'd just say, I'm having a problem with:

Windows Vista + Specific Nvidia card + Specific Nvidia Driver Range + ONE SPECIFIC application.

I wouldn't even bother posting. So if he wants to rescind his uninformed, idiotic, blanket statements and make a specific statement about the problem he's having, I'll not only not respond, but I'd even be willing to pass on any information I find about potential solutions. I'm pretty regularly hitting guru3d.com as I'm still waiting for a totally stable non-beta driver (even though in a non-SLI configuration I have no issues at all with the 100.65 driver).

Funk, I can see where you'd not understand the difference between a technical problem that you don't understand and narrowing the scope of the problem to something that's manageable and understandable since you've proven repeatedly on this forum that you not only lack any technical expertise but also the ability to learn.

The last time I checked, this forum was about helping each other with technical issues, learning about new technology, and keeping each other informed about existing technology. Misinformation and FUD doesn't help anyone, and I'll call it every time I fucking see it.

Edit: Oh and one more thing. Not only am I occasionally wrong, I post as much when I find out. You might have noticed a thread regarding office '07 that you posted in like yesterday where I apologize to Siji for being wrong...

To the first bold comment above : I have no idea what you are even referring to. I made a statement above that has absolutely nothing to do with what you wrote, you just jump at any opportunity to take me down a notch. And as far as me not being able to learn - why do you bother.. You are in no position to make that judgement about me, anyone that knows me and isn't basing their opinion off of a small handful of comments made when I was probably angry at someone on a messageboard that I detest (long winded, I know) knows that is not the truth.

Do you really take that much pride in being a prick? What a sad little man you must be indeed.

And to your second point I highlighted, way to completely overreact to me just giving you shit. Are you taking over the position that I formerly held?
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Tell you what Funk. I'll give you a pass... again. Clean slate, I won't flame you again until you do something that merits it, and I'll treat you with a modicum of respect.

If that sounds amenable to you, let me know and we'll start fresh.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

noel wrote:Tell you what Funk. I'll give you a pass... again. Clean slate, I won't flame you again until you do something that merits it, and I'll treat you with a modicum of respect.

If that sounds amenable to you, let me know and we'll start fresh.

If that's what you want noel, it's fine by me.. However I think I posted two valid questions and you didn't answer either one... Unlike you I don't see a post by you and immediately find a way to be a prick or belittle you.. I really don't even know what the hell you were referring to that I had said in your original post and I would like for you to clear up my confusion.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

It was a direct reply to your question... "how dare you question him etc."

I felt you were missing the point I've been making with Leonaerd for several posts now, and looking for an attempt to pile on me when I didn't feel it was merited.

No I'm not taking over your position. No I don't take any pride in being a dick for no reason. I do take pride in being a dick when it's merited. Think of me like Dr. Cox in Scrubs if you will. I've explained my stance with regard to technical issues in this forum, and I'll stand by it.

Were those your two questions, or did I miss them?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: Re:

Post by Boogahz »

Leonaerd wrote:
noel wrote:It's not every intense 3D application you fucking mong. I can run 3dMark '2006 for hours at a time with no fucking issue.

Yeaaaah Noel. That's exactly what's going on.

Nvidia's official response to the known issue.

1,000 reply thread illustrating the problem.

On a forum where the average thread gets five replies, this one issue has been active and on the front page of the forum since mid-January. Still believe it doesn't exist?
Page one has what....11 different posters? 1,000 replies just means it is an active thread.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

3 of the posters are probably Leonaerd. :lol:
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Noel wrote:There is NO problem with Windows Vista + Every Nvidia card + EVERY 3D application. None.

Open your ears. IT HASN'T BEEN ONLY ONE APPLICATION THAT HAS BEEN SCREWING UP. When I say "all intense 3D applications," that's probably what I mean. I can play Vista Chess. I can't play BF2. I can use Windows Aero. I can run a demo in 3d Studio Max. I can't play CoH. I can't play Oblivion. I can't play Ghost Recon 2. I can't play Medieval II. I can dunk on a 10 foot hoop. Usually when my commit charge is near full, it locks down and gives me the error you've so carefully said doesn't exist. It's fair to say that the more intense the application, the more often the problem will present itself. This has been my situation for a while now. In saying "intense 3D applications" are what I cannot run, I was explaining as best I could (with what resources and problems I had) in what type of situations my computer would not work.

Would you like me to start a separate thread titled "I am having a problem with Windows Vista + Specific Nvidia card + Specific Nvidia Driver Range + ONE SPECIFIC application," switching the words around as necessary? Because I would be creating many threads that *gasp* center around the same problem.
Boog wrote:Page one has what....11 different posters? 1,000 replies just means it is an active thread.
Yeah, hur hur, and activity means that the problem still exists, jackass. Hur hur, and 11 different people started getting the problem at around the same time. And you won't find another thread on the entire driver forum that gets remotely as much traffic. Hur hur.
thread: nvlddmkm stopped responding in Windows Vista
views: 112,381
next most popular thread on the front page
views: 13,884
But it's just an active thread, hur hur. That retard Leonaerd must be stupid hur hur. Are you honestly saying that its popularity has no correlation with how many people have the problem? You're wrong, no wonder Noel sided with you.

Considering Noel's main argument from the beginning has been that what I thought to be a problem didn't actually exist outside of my mind, I find it pretty hilarious that when I presented him proof that it did exist, he reverted to calling me a whiny bitch and a tool. That's quite some educated professionalism you show there, Noel. I'll bet your customers love when you talk to them like that. Oh, you don't talk to them like their problems are baseless and irrelevant? Surprise. My complaint has been legitimate since the first day I voiced my concern here and you shot it down as impossible. So what now? You want more specifics from me to show to you that my problem lies within the confines of that which has been documented? Ok:

I've used every driver, beta included, since 100.65 up through the current 158.18 (Vista 32). None of them have fixed (or addressed) the problem. Every game / application that I listed above (and more that I won't bore you with) as being problematic has been problematic throughout every driver in the range described. The problem is documented almost exactly the way I have been experiencing it over the past few months. Apart from that, I have used every feasible method described in the 1,000 post thread I linked in an attempt to fix the problem. Some worked temporarily, some didn't work at all, exactly as many other people have found the solutions to perform!!

I can't wait to see what bullshit you say next. Something about how my specifics weren't up to some engineering code or how being able to play Vista Chess means my problems are entirely my fault. Revert to extremes in saying that I'm wrong and the cause of the problems, please. It makes it far easier to know you have nothing useful to say.