The Official Anti-Michigan Thread

What do you think about the sports world?
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

The Official Anti-Michigan Thread

Post by Zamtuk »

This thread is dedicated to the glory that is OSU football and the shit that is up north. Since shit rolls down hill (or down south, respectively) and Michigan is Tressel's schoolyard bitch, you should be rooting (betting) for the Buckeyes. The Daily Show understood that, that is why they came here and not UM.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel held his final press luncheon of the year on Monday. The No. 1 Buckeyes and No. 2 Michigan will face off in Ohio Stadium on Saturday and Tressel talked about the magnitude of the game, discussed what he likes about Michigan's team, gave injury updates, discussed freshman tailback Chris Wells and much more.

Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel’s weekly press luncheon was moved to Monday this week as the top-ranked Buckeyes prepare for their showdown against No. 2 Michigan on Saturday at Ohio Stadium (3:30 p.m., ABC).

It will mark the first time in the storied history of the rivalry that the game features the top two teams in the nation. The winner has a guaranteed birth into the BCS national championship game, and the loser will still have a decent shot at getting in.

Tressel began the press conference by talking about the Wolverines.

“We’re playing against a great football team, everyone knows that,” he said. “That’s why the room is so full. Michigan is an outstanding football team. What I like about them is that they have tremendous depth. You can see that they’re very mature, lots of veterans in virtually all places, they play with great effort, they play with great toughness and they do all the fundamental things so well. They block well. They tackle well. They’re so competitive along the lines. They have a great senior kicker (Garrett Rivas).

“You can start with the defensive side of things, I think their front four is as good as any front we’ve seen the entire year. Their linebackers are veterans with (Shawn) Crable and (Prescott) Burgess and (David) Harris and those guys that have been there forever and doing a tremendous job. Their secondary, they roll in about seven different guys that are very, very talented both as tackles and cover guys is what is impressive to me.

“And if you flip it over to their offensive side up front, I think they’re powerful, they play low. What do you say about (running back Mike) Hart? Just an outstanding guy, both as a runner and as a pass receiver. Their fullback (Obi Oluigbo) to me is underrated. He’s a guy that there’s not much glory in playing fullback these days and he keeps pounding up in there. And of course their corps of receivers are outstanding, great skill, great size, great blockers. I think when you watch the film, you can’t lose sight of the fact what a great job they do blocking. And they’re led by a veteran quarterback (Chad Henne) and he does a great job. He’s highly efficient, ranked in the top two or three in passing efficiency in the conference and he just does an outstanding job there. Their tight ends are big and strong and across the board, that’s why they’re 11-0, they’re an outstanding football team and our guys are anxious to compete with them and it’s exciting to be apart of this week. I suppose I should have mentioned last week’s game (the 54-10 win over Northwestern) but we haven’t thought much about it. So, just being honest.”

Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith has been a Michigan slayer thus far in his career and has enjoyed arguably the two best games by any quarterback in the history of the rivalry. Tressel discussed what makes Smith so effective in big games.

“Troy Smith is highly competitive,” he said. “(Quarterbacks coach) Joe Daniels and I were sitting in the office watching film early this morning and he came in with his … I don’t know what he had, I don’t want to give a commercial out, but he came in with whatever breakfast food he had there and came in and says, ‘What are we looking at?’ and almost grabbed the clicker to take over. He just loves competition. He’s got great respect for the guys he’s playing against because he’s played against them before and he has great respect for what they’ve accomplished and I think he just gets excited about competitive situations.”

Tressel was asked what words come to mind when he thinks about Smith – the odds-on favorite to win the Heisman and probably the best quarterback to ever play at OSU.

“When you think of Troy, the first thing that comes to my mind is leadership,” he said. “Probably the second thing is competitiveness, and maybe the third thing that jumps up to me about Troy is his hunger to be in command of what’s going on. He wants to know. We might have been sitting there this morning talking about a coverage and he’d say, ‘You know, that was nickel, that wasn’t just cover whatever, that was nickel cover whatever.’ And he’s just got a hunger for knowledge.”

Tressel was asked to describe Smith’s demeanor during the fourth quarter in last year’s game in which he led the Buckeyes two a pair of late touchdown drives, including the game-winner.

“Kind of like, ‘Hey, get a play called so that I can go out there,’” Tressel said. “He wants to have the ball in his hands. He wants to make a difference. He cares and maybe the first word that should have popped into my mind because I think it’s so true is that he cares so deeply for his teammates and he wants something good to happen for them. And I guess that’s the leadership part, but he wants the ball in his hands and he wants to get going.”

Tressel discussed the “injury” to Smith’s right thumb and whether it has affected him in practice.

“No, he hasn’t missed a rep at all,” Tressel said. “But from Troy, you can never get whether or not … to him, it never bothers him. He gets it wrapped, it’s obvious, but I think there will be so much adrenaline and so much flowing through his thumb down to his big toe that he’s not going to feel anything.”

Tressel is 4-1 against Michigan and could be one step away from erasing most of the bad memories of the John Cooper era when OSU was 2-10-1 against UM. A 5-1 record would be halfway to 10-2 (and of course there are no ties anymore in college football).

Tressel was asked if he thinks he has answers on how to beat Michigan that other coaches have not had.

"I was watching film this morning and I don’t have any answers at this moment, I’ll tell you that,” he said. “Troy Smith spins and runs 46 yards, now come on, I don’t have any answers. I think our guys play hard. They have for however many years. The Ohio State-Michigan game has gone on and sometimes you come up on the good end, sometimes you don’t. But if anyone pretends to think they have the answer, they’ve got a problem.”

Tressel grew up in Berea, Ohio, and his father Lee Tressel was the longtime head coach at Baldwin-Wallace. Tressel didn’t get to sit around and watch many college football games during his childhood, but one game that he and his father always tried to take in was the OSU-Michigan game.

“Yeah, I’ve mentioned a number of years here of my dad being a coach in the Division III level, we were typically done by the time the Ohio State-Michigan came around and that would be about the first time I saw my dad in the light of day. And we got to watch the game and he was a huge Buckeye fan and probably the most important thing to me was I got a chance to be with him and watch it, and of course here he was rooting for his team, so that became my team.”

Tressel also talked about freshman running back Chris Wells getting back in good graces following his 11-carry, 99-yard performance against Northwestern. Wells has lost four fumbles this season, but held on to the ball against the Wildcats.

“I think Chris Wells is a big part of who we want to be and our chance of succeeding, because he’s a guy that’s very talented,” Tressel said. “He’s gotten to the point now where there’s not anything that he hasn’t experienced. He’s experienced some of the passing game. He’s experienced being in big games, Big Ten games, going through the test of time that endure of going every week and learning a different game plan and here’s what they do defensively. Until you experience it once, you don’t know what’s going to happen the next week, but I’m counting on Chris Wells to be a great contributor.”

Tressel feels good about his team’s health going into “The Game.” Left tackle Alex Boone, who missed the last two weeks, is expected to play and start against the Wolverines.

“Oh yeah, I think so,” Tressel said.

Freshman defensive back Kurt Coleman and sophomore tight end Brandon Smith will not play on Saturday, but overall the Buckeyes are in good shape.

“We’re game 12, 12 games in a row, I have no complaints,” Tressel said.

Obviously one major advantage for OSU in this particular game is that it will be played in the friendly confines of Ohio Stadium. Tressel wants to hear the Buckeye faithful louder than ever.

“Well, I hope the home field advantage helps a great deal,” Tressel said. “I hope our crowd is tremendously loud. I hope it provides the energy that can raise us up to the level … in a game like this, you better play better than you are. And if our crowd can help raise us up playing better than we are, I think that’s a great advantage and we’re looking forward to that.”

Tressel was asked by a reporter from ESPN to talk about the expectations he had entering the season for an OSU defense that was replacing nine starters. The Buckeyes are ranked first in the country in scoring defense and eighth in total defense.

"My expectations were knowing the defensive staff that we have, knowing the type of kids that we have, is that I expected them to roll their sleeves up and try to get good at their craft,” Tressel said. “And I knew they’d have good leadership, Quinn Pitcock and David Patterson and Joel Penton up front and Brandon Mitchell and Antonio Smith, you can’t mention the progress we’ve had in 2006 without mentioning Antonio Smith. With that leadership kind of surrounding the rest with their sleeves rolled up going to work, I think they’ve progressed.”

Tressel talked about sophomore middle linebacker James Laurinatitis – who is a finalist for the Butkus Award – and how much his experience playing against Michigan and Notre Dame last year helped his development.

“I think anytime you get experience like the opportunities James had against Michigan and then got to play the entire bowl game, that’s huge,” Tressel said. “Practice, we can get as close to game-like as humanly possible, but it’s not the game. We try to have fast tempo and we try to make it as life-like as it can be, but getting that game opportunity, tremendous.

“He’s significantly better (than last season). He’s experienced so many things. He’s played 11 more games now and 40, 50, 60 snaps a game over 11 games, he’s learned a lot.”

Tressel talked about his relationship with Michigan coach Lloyd Carr and whether or not there is “gamesmanship” between the two coaches before the game.

“You know, we’ve only met a few times at games and obviously I’ve known him for years in the profession and we have opportunities to be together in meetings and that type of thing and I don’t see any gamesmanship on his part, I would hope he doesn’t see any on mine,” he said. “We’re both trying to run programs to be the best they can be and he’s done a pretty good job.”

If Ohio State wins on Saturday, the Buckeyes will clinch their first outright Big Ten championship in 22 years.

“Oh, that’s huge,” Tressel said. “We haven’t had an outright Big Ten title since 1984 and we’ve had a number of co-championships and so forth, but that’s huge.”
The transcript, so to speak, from the seasons final luncheon held today. Nothing but class out of Tressel.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Nothing but class, indeed!
In 2004, the Associated Press detailed some of the player arrests under Tressel's watch.
  • In October of that year, an all-nude strip club accused running back Lydell Ross of trying to pass fake currency. He was suspended for one game.
  • That May, two players were accused of robbery. One received probation while the other was sentenced to three years in prison.
  • In November 2003, two players were arrested for disorderly conduct. One woman reported her jaw was broken. In October of that year, backup Louis Irizarry, previously charged with robbery, was charged and later found guilty of first-degree assault.
  • In October 2002, linebacker Fred Pagac Jr. was charged with persistent disorderly conduct. That August, defensive lineman Quinn Pitcock pleaded no contest to disorderly conduct. That same month, wide receiver Chris Vance was suspended for the team opener for an undisclosed violation of team policy.
  • In April 2002, linebacker Marco Cooper was charged with felony drug abuse and carrying a concealed weapon. He pleaded guilty.
There were 14 player arrests from 2001, when Tressel became head coach, until 2004. It was a Tennessee-like streak that received as much press coverage as would a grand opening of a weather museum in Puxatony.

The arrest rate has gotten better at Ohio State. Four Buckeyes players, according to media and Internet reports, have been arrested over the past 10 months.

This year, before playing Texas, Tressel told the media that he had voted the Longhorns the top team in the country on his USA Today ballot. The newspaper knew the truth: Tressel had voted his own Buckeyes the top team. Tressel explained the discrepancy of him saying one thing and doing another as some sort of administrative snafu.

Ping, pong went the bullets.

Imagine the rancor that would have been generated had Larry Coker made such an, ahem, mistake.

The NCAA cited Youngstown State in 2000 for impermissible transportation and money to an athlete, in addition to lack of institutional control, while Tressel was coach and athletic director.

Athletes, their free cars and cash are in Tressel's history, and no one seems to care.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

That wasn't him at Youngstown State, but rather a bunch of his mobster friends. I wouldn't get all huffy over booster 'donations' and free rides as I'm sure every university does it. (think Chrish Webber, Michigan) And a bunch of disorderly conducts is a bullshit ticket to begin with, especially around OSU. Other than that, none of those were commited during the season. And he suspended them all!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

The Chris Webber thing cost Steve Fisher his job, put us on (self)probation, and forced us to revise history so that we had no Big 10 titles or Final Four appearances during the Fab Five era...

I was just pointing out an interesting article that was written yesterday. He sure looks classy in that sweatervest, though!

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sylvus wrote:The Chris Webber thing cost Steve Fisher his job, put us on (self)probation, and forced us to revise history so that we had no Big 10 titles or Final Four appearances during the Fab Five era...

I was just pointing out an interesting article that was written yesterday. He sure looks classy in that sweatervest, though!
ug, that's another tie between Michigan and Arizona State. We ended up with Bill Frieder (Michigan's coach before Fischer responsible for putting together the Fab Five) Frieder was cool. I remember him showing up at the local college bars after games and chatting with the students, but ASU's program never developed and we ended up with the point shaving scam during his years.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Sylvus wrote:I was just pointing out an interesting article that was written yesterday. He sure looks classy in that sweatervest, though!
You bet your sweet ass he does.
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

They played a clip of Chad Henne on the local radio show down here today.
He was talking about the game and how he thinks he has improved etc.

He said "I feel like I am more smarter"
:)
gogo UM edumacation
Sabek
Just Sabek
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

They must know somethings a brewin'.
Nov. 14, 2006
TO: Ohio State University students
FROM: Richard A. Hollingsworth, Vice President for Student Affairs

What an exciting time to be a Buckeye! Even if you're "just not that
into football," you have to know that Saturday's Ohio State-Michigan
match is a very special game. And, if you are a fan, well, it doesn't get
any better than this, does it?

I'm writing to urge you all to make sure it is a great weekend for you,
regardless of what the final score is. I don't think most of you need
another reminder to obey the law, party responsibly, and show good
sportsmanship. You're already on board with that. But, given the
stakes, I'm going to go on the record, just so everyone understands.

No amount of hype and excitement excuses violence or endangering
your own or others' safety. Any student who is arrested for a crime that
involves endangering people or property will find himself or herself on
immediate interim suspension from the university - which could ruin a
whole quarter's worth of academic progress, at a minimum. Under this
heading come such acts as throwing objects, setting fires, disorderly
conduct, vandalizing cars, assaults, rioting, resisting arrest, and
impeding safety officials in their duties. Students who host parties that
get out of control, who are bystanders at a disturbance (there are no
innocent bystanders), who encourage others to be disruptive, or who
fail to control their guests will also be immediately suspended. The risk
to your academic progress is real - eight students were expelled for
their actions in the 2002 riots following the Michigan game, and there
would have been more had the police been as prepared as they will be
this year.

Police will be enforcing the laws on and off campus, including those
restricting alcohol use. Columbus safety officials have told me that
there will be many undercover officers as well as those in uniform. This
is not the weekend to press your luck with law enforcement. Violators
may face arrest and jail time. If you drink, do so legally and
responsibly. For a refresher on party guidelines and state laws, go to
http://studentaffairs.osu.edu and click on the links in the Celebrate Like
Champs feature.

I hate to keep harping on the serious consequences of misbehavior
because I have faith that if you choose to participate in celebrations this
weekend, you will party hard but party safely. After all, you are
members of the best and brightest classes in Ohio State history - surely
too smart to ruin a great time with stupid decisions. For more thoughts
on the difference between celebrating with class and intelligence and
acting like an idiot, see my column in Wednesday's Lantern. I call it
Fan vs. Jerk.

The eyes of the nation are on us. It's a great opportunity to celebrate
with class and show everyone that Ohio State has the Best Fans in the
Land.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

no trashing of Michigan football can be complete without:

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/uwi ... 04aay.html
Ann Arbor, MI (U-WIRE) -- Just 11 days after starting offensive lineman Adam Stenavich was taken into custody for disorderly conduct, the Michigan football team is dealing with a second - and potentially much more serious - incident.

At about 12:30 a.m. yesterday, redshirt sophomore Larry Harrison was arrested on the 700 block of South Division Street after police say he exposed himself outside a window of a residence on that street.

According to Sgt. Matt Lige of the Ann Arbor Police Department, Harrison was charged with one count of indecent exposure and was released after paying a $500 bond. There have been about 13 cases of indecent exposure reported to the AAPD since August that police said Harrison may have been involved in.

Harrison, a defensive tackle, was suspended from the football team.

LSA junior Lauren Sogor, a resident at the house where Harrison was arrested, said no one in her house knew about the incident until police knocked on her door.

"They said, 'We just got this guy. We've been trying to catch him for five months. He's been flashing himself over the city'," Sogor said.

Harrison was not charged yesterday in any of the other occurrences, but an investigation is ongoing.

"We have leads that we are following that would suggest that there is more than one incident," Lige said.

Sogor and her roommate, LSA junior Lisa Bakale-Wise, said no one within the house called the police, as Harrison's presence outside went unnoticed. Rather, the police told the tenants of the house that they arrested Harrison after spotting him on the front porch.

"If he was out exposing himself to us, we didn't see it," Sogor said. "He saw us, but we didn't see him."

Later yesterday, the three women who live at the house - Sogor, Bakale-Wise and Erin Strongfellow - released a statement to The Michigan Daily: "The Ann Arbor and University community and news media must be sure to look beyond this man's status as a University football player and address the reality of the crime: that this man has perpetrated a punishable sexual harassment offense against dozens of women in at least 15 households over a five-month period on our campus. If we, as a community, had been informed of the repeated offenses, he may have been apprehended sooner and prevented from perpetrating so many times."

Harrison - a Detroit native - started at defensive tackle in seven of Michigan's 11 games this season and recorded 24 tackles including one tackle for a loss. But the Wolverines will likely be without Harrison when they take on Texas in the Rose Bowl on New Year's Day.

"Larry Harrison has been suspended from the Michigan football team," Michigan coach Lloyd Carr said in a statement yesterday. "The charges are very serious and very alarming. I can only hope they are not true."

If convicted on the single count of indecent exposure, Harrison could face up to a year in jail. A pre-trial hearing has been set for Jan. 21, according to The Associated Press.

Stenavich is awaiting charges in his case. He was arrested on Nov. 29 after urinating on the floor at a club and subsequently being escorted out by police. Carr announced on Dec. 3 that he is uncertain what, if any, punishment Stenavich will face within the team.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Michigan is oh so classy they had to fly the Ohio State flag at their stadium.. backwards.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

ohmy, where is lloyd carr?!

Aside, from that, they are constructing the College Gameday podium as I speak. It's almost go time bitches (Sylvus)!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

The Larry Harrison thing is the only thing that Kilmoll can ever bring up, even though it's a couple years old now...

And he was suspended from the team and then expelled, problem solved!
Kelshara wrote:Michigan is oh so classy they had to fly the Ohio State flag at their stadium.. backwards.
When did that happen? Are you sure it wasn't just the wind blowing the other direction and you were looking at it the wrong way? I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, aren't you from Norway by way of Ohio?

Go Blue!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Nah it probably is true. In many bars, sports shops and the like, they have every Big Ten teams pennant hanging. Every UM pennant is hung upside down.

Fun Fact: I have recently taken a piss in a few urinals on campus with newly placed UM stickers placed in them!
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

I'll get the picture of it from the thread on my car msg board, it is 45 pages long (and growing by the minute hah) so will have to go through it after work.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2663113
Michigan junior wide receiver Adrian Arrington moved one step closer on Wednesday to facing trial following a misdemeanor charge of domestic violence. But the pending charge should not affect Arrington's participation in Saturday's game between the Wolverines and Ohio State.

At Arrington's pretrial hearing in Ypsilanti, Mich., on Wednesday, a new court date of Nov. 30 was set for what is called final settlement conference, according to a record in the Ypsilanti court criminal division.

Because no resolution was reached on Wednesday, Nov. 30 will be the final opportunity for a resolution or jury selection will begin on Dec. 4.

Arrington was charged following an Oct. 13 incident involving his girlfriend, Jodi Hupe. According to a police report, Arrington pulled his girlfriend from a vehicle.

"Mr. Arrington maintains he did not assault his girlfriend and more importantly, his girlfriend maintains that she was not assaulted," Arrington's attorney Chris Easthope of Ann Arbor said Wednesday.

Michigan coach Lloyd Carr has said that he does not believe the facts of the case, as he knows them, warrant suspension. The courts have said Arrington can travel to road games and home for the holidays.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:
"Mr. Arrington maintains he did not assault his girlfriend and more importantly, his girlfriend maintains that she was not assaulted," Arrington's attorney Chris Easthope of Ann Arbor said Wednesday.
That's big news! These crimes are getting scarier and scarier...

From what I've heard, he was drinking, wanted the keys to the car and she wouldn't let him have them. When he pulled her out of the car and took the keys, she called the cops because she was scared that he would drink and drive. The cops then charged him with domestic violence, which she says he did not do.

The only untoward thing he may have done was drinking during the season, but I maintain that there are probably more players on most teams that drink during the season than do not. They're college kids ffs.

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Wow, I wonder how many victims of domestic violence deny it ever happened!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Adrian Arrington wrote:You'll keep your goddamned mouth shut if you know whats good for you!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

testing new sig.
Fuck Michigan!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

A writer for the [url=http://apps.michigandaily.com/blogs/thegame/?p=232]Michigan Daily[/url] wrote:Arrington’s legal troubles stem from an incident involving his girlfriend back on Oct. 13 when he scratched her wrist while taking her keys.
While I know that many victims of domestic violence deny that it ever happened, even though it did, I'm pretty certain that others deny that it ever happened and it didn't actually happen. It's not like she has a black eye and claims she fell down the stairs, she got scratched on the wrist when he tried to take her keys. Calling that domestic violence is a bit of an exaggeration in my opinion, as well as the opinion of Lloyd Carr. Particularly when the victim of said violence maintains that it wasn't.

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Sylvus wrote:
A writer for the [url=http://apps.michigandaily.com/blogs/thegame/?p=232]Michigan Daily[/url] wrote:Arrington’s legal troubles stem from an incident involving his girlfriend back on Oct. 13 when he scratched her wrist while taking her keys.
While I know that many victims of domestic violence deny that it ever happened, even though it did, I'm pretty certain that others deny that it ever happened and it didn't actually happen. It's not like she has a black eye and claims she fell down the stairs, she got scratched on the wrist when he tried to take her keys. Calling that domestic violence is a bit of an exaggeration in my opinion, as well as the opinion of Lloyd Carr. Particularly when the victim of said violence maintains that it wasn't.
I agree with the "definition" of domestic violence being kind of screwy, but it is at least partially because of the people that call it in later denying that the act ever took place that police react in the way that they do. I actually witnessed domestic abuse a couple weeks ago (woman against man), and when the police arrested the girlfriend, the guy was protesting and almost got hauled in for that.
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

Boogahz wrote:
Sylvus wrote:
I agree with the "definition" of domestic violence being kind of screwy, but it is at least partially because of the people that call it in later denying that the act ever took place that police react in the way that they do. I actually witnessed domestic abuse a couple weeks ago (woman against man), and when the police arrested the girlfriend, the guy was protesting and almost got hauled in for that.
The only reason it is called domestic violence is probably because of who is involved (BF & GF). The crime is probably some form of lesser assault - which depending on how that's defined in Michigan - may or may not include a scratch. In Oregon, if it is any "physical injury" it's Assault IV. My guess is the media trumping something and he doesn't actually get charged unless it's more serious than let on.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I'm sure there will be some cases of (domestic) violence this weekend!

maybe even with some players
Fuck Michigan!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

This just in! OSU wins the google fight.

OSU - 143,000,000
UM - 129,000,000

We also won the NCAA 07 simulation on espn.com
Fuck Michigan!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Wasn't this year (or last) the first time that Madden hadn't predicted the right Superbowl winner? I think the developers at EA have lost a step or two...

Go Blue!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

If you've played the two, I think its obvious which one is more in tune to the repective sport they are covering!
Fuck Michigan!
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

Here is a OSU/Michigan highlight reel with the Dead Schembechlers "Chad Henne is a Joke" as the music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8bzZEtOcb8
NWS due to the lyrics.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

What kind of car does Jim Tressel drive?

Lloyd Carr
Fuck Michigan!
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

I am officially throwing my all powerful cheering power behind OSU... you have already won!
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

You're so banned, Pherr.

Go Blue!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The bet shall be......Michigan wins and Zamtuk flies the Michigan avatar for a sum of days equal to the average score on the ACT by Michigan football players (10).

If OSU wins, Sylvus shall fly the buckeye avatar for the sum of days equal to the number of buckeye players convicted of crimes in the past year (also 10).

Any questions?
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

That's not a fair bet. Like 3 years ago Zamtuk was a Michigan fan.

But I'll take it if he agrees to it in writing before the game starts.

Go Blue!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Absolutely, however as I see when I am not logged in my avatar doesn't show. So, not sure how that will work.
Fuck Michigan!
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Home field is the difference maker, I don't know that I would take the bet with the points, but I think OSU will win and there is one reason... Troy Smith
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I fear that Bo will give the Wolverines a boost =/
Fuck Michigan!
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

Zamtuk wrote:I fear that Bo will give the Wolverines a boost =/
I think so too.
The other side of it being it's a possibility that Bo's passing will be a distraction that affects them negatively.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Yeah, that is a possibility as well, who knows. I do think that the fans will treat him with respect. He did, after all, graduate from OSU. :P
Fuck Michigan!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

So, it took a Buckeye to teach the Wolverines how to play football?
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

It took Woody's protege to show the blue how to play.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Boogahz wrote:So, it took a Buckeye to teach the Wolverines how to play football?
ND too. Hayes also molded Lou Holtz.
Fuck Michigan!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

A baby was born and named Tressel Hayes. I can't wait until he's caught masturbating at a public library. (yeah, old link, but it never gets old!)

Go Blue!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I'm sure someday soon that kid will be regularly losing kickball games to a young Urban Donnovan or "Billy" Meyer. :twisted:
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Do you think we can get a nationwide chill-out moratorium on OSU/UMich and the Big Ten in general until someone from that godforesaken conference actually wins something? Not on these boards (I love the hate), but just in the media? I mean, the Big Ten hasn't won a football/basketball championship since Maurice Clarett took Ohio State all the way in '02. Since then, every power conference has won at least one.

ACC: 1 (North Carolina BBall 04-05)
Big East: 2 (Syracuse BBall 02-03, Connecticut BBall 03-04)
Big Twelve: 1 (Texas FBall 05-06)
Pac Ten: 2 (USC FBall 03-04, 04-05)
SEC: 4 (LSU FBall 03-04, Florida FBall 06-07, Florida BBall 05-06, 06-07)
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Meh. That's kind of an arbitrary date to pick, and it's not like the Big 10 isn't playing in or near the National Championship level pretty much all the time. And if you extend that back 10 years you're going to have like OSU and Michigan as football champs and (I think) 2 MSU national championship bball teams and an Illinois bball team (which may have been in the last 5 years, I can't recall).

And I'm not sure what exactly you want the nation to chill out on exactly, unless you're still looking back to the second week of November.

Go Blue!
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Well MSU just won the NCAA hockey title but thats not Mustard & Blue or OSU... :p
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

I wasn't even going to mention hockey, as no one outside of the Big 10 (unless you're a North Dakota fan) would ever bring that up when talking about national championships.

Who is the only school to win the national championship in all 4 major men's sports???

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sylvus wrote: Who is the only school to win the national championship in all 4 major men's sports???
I'm sure I posted something similar to this somewhere:

NCAA DIVISION I TOTAL CHAMPIONSHIPS:

1 UCLA: 99
2 Stanford: 93
3 Southern California: 84
4 Oklahoma State: 48
5 Arkansas: 43
6 LSU: 40
7 Texas: 39
8 Michigan: 32
9 North Carolina: 32
10 Penn State: 30

MENS:

1 Southern California: 73
2 UCLA: 70
3 Stanford: 57
4 Oklahoma State: 48
5 Arkansas: 43
6 Michigan: 30
7 Yale: 25
8 California: 23
9 Indiana: 23
10 Iowa: 21
11 UTEP: 21

WOMENS:

1 Stanford: 36
2 UCLA: 29
3 LSU: 24
4 North Carolina: 23
5 Texas: 22
6 Georgia: 15
7 Maryland: 15
8 Southern California: 11
9 Arizona: 10
10 Old Dominion: 10

Michigan neglects their women sports! Still, there's three PAC TEN schools ahead of Michigan for Men's Championships and that's all time back to the hallowed days of Michigan during the turn of the 20th century too!

---

ASU needs some work:

Arizona State

Total NCAA Team Championships: 16
men's championships: 10
women's championships: 6
coed championships: 0

Breakdown by Sport:
men's baseball: 5
men's golf: 2
women's golf: 6
men's gymnastics: 1
men's outdoor track & field: 1
men's wrestling: 1

You can select by school here:

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/champs_listing1.html

Hmmm, that doesn't list football.
The NCAA does not conduct a championship for the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (Division I FBS - formerly Division I-A). Instead, these teams participate in a national championship system developed by the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) organization.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

If you extend it back ten years, you pick up the '97 Michigan split national title and one Michigan State basketball championship in I think 99-00. Illinois lost their championship game to North Carolina.

The date isn't arbitrary-- it's the date of the Big Ten's last championship, so there is a criteria that goes into selecting it. It is, however, meaningless. I'm really just talking shit because I hate the Big Ten. I'll probably continue doing so. Feel free to talk shit on my conferences-- I'm an ACC/Big East man.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

I like how you had to put "split" in there. LSU/USC in 03-04 was also a split, so you were counting those!

I could have sworn Illinois won one with Dee Brown and that crew, but I guess I was mistaken. Basketball isn't really my sport.

It also stands to reason that if you're only counting championships since the last time that the Big 10 won one that they wouldn't have won any others. :? The ACC hasn't won any national championships since North Carolina won it in 04-05 either. :p If you include the last year that the Big 10 won one, we're tied with the ACC and the Big Twelve, along with having Illinois and OSU in a BBall final, OSU in the championship football game (well "in it" might be a stretch. "playing for") and that's just off the top of my head.

I'm all for continuing this debate ad infinitum but it's not possible that I will ever stop arguing for the quality of the Big 10 or concede in any way.

Go Blue!