No one posted this yet?

Everquest related info only here, quests, help, info, recruiting, etc.
Nilaman
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

No one posted this yet?

Post by Nilaman »

Beta is going on for the latest expansion and somehow sony ended up putting the beta PoK on live servers, allowing 25 new merchants to spawn and sell super rare drop tradeskill components for dirt cheap. People who found the merchants before they were despawned were made very rich in a short amount of time.

Sony decides that the best thing to do is rollback everyone who had any form of contact with the NPCs, or who had contact with someone who was in contact with the NPCs. This ended up effecting more people then not. It seems like everyone I talk to has been rolled back to one point or another.
Hello everyone,

We have now completed our last group of character restores in regards to the update issue that occurred on the morning of January 18th. Before I go into the details let me start by giving our apologies to all of those that were unknowingly affected by the correction of our error. We did feel that we needed to be aggressive in dealing with this issue. I also hope that everyone can understand that we needed to be vague on the details while our actions were being taken. However, now that it is complete let me take a moment and explain our solutions.

The summary is that we rolled back any character that had traded with the Beta merchants from our Prophecy of Ro testing server. We also rolled back characters that had traded with those ground zero characters as well as any subsequent traders along down the line.

Taking a step back I will start with the morning of the update. During the beta testing of an expansion we will have a number of NPCs available to facilitate the testing of new tradeskill recipes. Since the point is to actually test recipes and combines the items are free or extremely cheap. Unfortunately, due to a data error, these 25 NPCs with 1,530 items ended up on the live servers. As soon as we realized the issue we removed the NPCs from the Plane of Knowledge. We decided not to take down the servers until we fully understood the situation and its ramifications. This was the approach that we continued to take throughout the day – slow, steady, and methodical. After researching and tracking both the players and items we crafted a solution that would not require server downtime and would only affect a small percentage of our overall population.

We began with the characters that purchased items directly from the Beta merchants taking the time to exclude those people that only purchased harmless items such as water. We also excluded anyone who only sold to those merchants. After that we expanded to those that traded with those characters and iterated down the chain to include all trades. We felt that we had to widen the web in this way to prevent a number of secondary methods of dealing with these ill-gotten items such as trading the results of tradeskill combines. At this point we understand that we are directly affecting players that might have had no knowledge of the source of these items or results of these items. However, we believe it was necessary to take this aggressive step to maintain the integrity of the economy.

Soon thereafter we expanded our investigation to the other sources such as guild bank, shared bank, bazaar transactions, and other more obscure possibilities. This afternoon we ended with a final sweep of all areas to ensure that we conducted as thorough of a clean up as possible. We did this in a step by step manner so that we could keep an eye on the number of characters affected, maintain a high level of thoroughness, and minimize any chance of errors.

I have also seen a number of people suggest that we should have taken down the servers and rolled back every active character on every server. That was my first thought as well but once you get into the details you can see that this would not have been the best course of action. Primarily, every character would have lost their play time instead of the small percentage that was involved. Also, keep in mind that any rollback or restore has a small chance of an error and rolling back that number of characters would have magnified those exceptions to an unacceptable degree. After going through this process over the last 24 hours and seeing the results I am confident that we took the best course of action under the circumstances.

The result is that the integrity of the economy has been maintained while touching less than 1% of the character population of EverQuest. The majority of the EverQuest population was able to enjoy the game normally with zero server downtime and no loss of play time. We do understand that this might not matter to those of you that were rolled back and for that we apologize.

In conclusion, there are two known issues with the rollbacks regarding guild membership status and missing corpse issues that may have affected some customers. Customer Service will be assisting with these specific known issues, but will not be assisting with requests for reimbursement of items, coin, experience, AA’s, or flags that were removed due to the character rollbacks. If your character is having problems joining or being removed from a guild or if your character appears to be missing a corpse, please submit a petition under the appropriate category and they will assist you as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your patience,

Chris Lena
Producer
EverQuest
Now people have lost money, corpses, exp, loot, items, flags, and faction hits. This doesn't go over too well with players and Sony offers another solution:

Hello,

We sincerely apologize again for the problems caused in response to Wednesday’s update. We do understand that many characters were rolled back due to actions beyond their control along with those that took direct advantage of the situation. We also understand that many other players that were not rolled back were also affected in indirect ways. This weekend we will be offering double experience to all players. This will require us to take down the servers early tomorrow morning and they should be up and offering the modified experience at 9am PST. This event will run until Monday morning at 10am PST. Once again please accept our apologies for any interruptions this has caused in your playtime.

The EQ Team

Kytherea
Opinions? I feel bad for those who lost out on raid loot/AAs due to being in contact with someone who was in contact with the NPCs.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

That's rough. That'll take a chip from the player base, I'll wager.
I'd hate Hillary just as much if it was a woman. ┌┘ Winnow
you pretentious fuckwits ┌┘ Nick
:roll: ┌┘ Miir
thoroughly groped┌┘ Xyun
Llaffer
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Llaffer »

I was worried that I would be roled back. The only thing I bought all day was 3 Coarse Spider Silks to finish my GM Silk Robe.

I wasn't. (YAY!)

This weekend, approx 9am Sat -> 9am Monday to help "make up" for the fuck up, the game will be giving Double XP.

With double XP AAs, we're looking at up to 16AA an hour :) I might finally get my defensives done :)
Nilaman
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Nilaman »

I hear that those XP potions/AAs or whatever will stack with the double exp. Over 30 AA an hour then!
Tinkin Tankem
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Tinkin Tankem »

The whole thing is bullshit. I was involved in two trades during this whole fucking thing. First, I purchased some invis pots from the shaman guy in PoK. Second, I was given some healing pots from a friend who made them in PoK during the time these vendors were up. I was rolled back and my friend was not. I lost 15aa, several DoN crystals, Status for completing some DoDh spell missions, and worst of all I lost a group part of my epic that I've been trying to get done for months now but haven't had the chance since I'm not guilded.

Their bullshit 2 days bonus xp is shit. First off it's on the weekend when most good camps in Fire and RSS are taken. Now it's going to be hell trying to get a good xp grind. Hell, I might even get less xp with this shit going on.

I know most of you don't play anymore, however I know you can understand how frustrating this whole thing is. Worst off they sit there and say how they went through char by char to find culprits. When in all actuality they basically ran a macro to see if you could have been involved at all. Then they rolled you back. This is just shit... utter fucking bullshit.
Thinking of something new!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Glad I haven't logged in for.. uh, weeks.

If they had been intelligent enough to do a backup prior to a patch they could have just restored from there. But obviously they didn't.

I doubt it'll do much to the population, honestly. Nor do I think they much care either.
Nilaman
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Nilaman »

<SYSTEMWIDE_MESSAGE>: GM-Iarazyn : Greetings Norrath! At this time we are aware that the Double XP bonus is not affecting AA experience. Our people are working on this issue and will have a solution as soon as possible.
lol
Noysyrump
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Noysyrump »

Tinkin you still playing man? sheet i may just log on so'se i can train joo!~
Sick Balls!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Siji wrote:If they had been intelligent enough to do a backup prior to a patch they could have just restored from there. But obviously they didn't.

I doubt it'll do much to the population, honestly. Nor do I think they much care either.
I doubt it had anything to do with not having a character backup since they did rollback 1% of the population. Read the quoted text :P

(Unless those people were rolledback to positions prior to the patch. In which case I agree not having a backup is dumb.)
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Aslanna wrote:
Siji wrote:If they had been intelligent enough to do a backup prior to a patch they could have just restored from there. But obviously they didn't.

I doubt it had anything to do with not having a character backup since they did rollback 1% of the population. Read the quoted text :P

(Unless those people were rolledback to positions prior to the patch. In which case I agree not having a backup is dumb.)
From what I'd read on another board, people had been rolled back to before patch time. I could easily be wrong, but the general consensus was that it seemed that there was no backup to go back to by the way things were handled. *shrug*
Tinkin Tankem
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Tinkin Tankem »

There are people claiming that they had been rolled back to before the patch. I don't know anyone personally though. I also find it hard to believe that it only effected 1% of the population. Maybe 1% of the total charectors that have ever been created or some shit like that. Let us not forget... Statistics lie because liars make statistics :(
Thinking of something new!
Tenuvil
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tenuvil »

Not too surprised that the rollbacks were boned. I got a rollback a few weeks ago because rather than come to Time and give me my petitioned surname, the GM decided to appply my surname offline to my toon's last save and rolled me back live during a raid. I went linkdead and came back in the Guild Hall with a new surname but missing some 3 hours of xp and an upgraded item.
Dal-KoE
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dal-KoE »

Rollback Schmollback... anytime a player finds a "new" NPC Vendor that is selling rare items for 5gold (that normally bazaar sell for 20k..30k..50k) and then bazaar them at those prices should be rolled back to June of 2003. Screw you blood hungry vultures...

As far as those affected that weren't involved and got "touched" for no reason other than buying a KEI from one of the vultures, my condolences. You have to admit though, the double experience modifier was nice. 48 AAs in a day and a half...
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

I love it.
Logged on to play with my alt wizzy and catch her up on some items and spells.
Transfered 1 million pp from my baz gimp to my wiz.
Spent 980k on items and spells.
Next day, wiz was rolled back by 48 hours lost all items and pp.....baz gimp was NOT rolled back.
Total loss of about 1 million pp.

Fuck double xp.
Sendarie
Toalin
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Toalin »

and you still pay for this shit why?
Clatis
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Clatis »

im gonna get that free month to train you both, velks, both of you, right now.
Clatis Shizam/Fogdog Deeznutz -rocking no longer

When I leave come togetha like butt cheeks