Way to support and defend the constitution...

What do you think about the world?
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Way to support and defend the constitution...

Post by Arborealus »

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&c ... bassador_8

Bush again shows his contempt for our system of government by using a method designed to act when congress is not in session to bypass significant bipartisan concern for Bolton as Embassador to the UN.

I guess he does enjoy dictatorships when he's the dictator...
Animale
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Animale »

It'll probably come back to haunt him. The Senate does not forget stuff like this.

While I don't know enough about Bolton to have a firm opinion, it definitely felt as if he has a few skeletons in his closet that the White House was trying to cover up. We'll see if he can do the job now, though. Hopefully the job he is sent to do is to help the U.N., not destroy it from within.

Animale
Animale Vicioso
64 Gnome Enchanter
<retired>
60 Undead Mage
Hyjal <retired>
Seebs
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Seebs »

Yawn -

WASHINGTON — President Bush is taking advantage of Congress' vacation and giving John Bolton (search) a recess appointment to be the next U.S. ambassador to the United Nations. What is a recess appointment?

— A recess appointment occurs when the U.S. president fills a vacant federal position during a Congressional recess.

— The appointee stays on the job until the end of the next congressional session, unless the Senate ratifies the appointment thereby allowing the appointee to serve longer.

— Recess appointments are authorized by Article II, Section 3 of the U.S. Constitution: "The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session."

— The recess appointment has been used mostly in recent history to bypass a Senate politically opposed to the nominee.

— The recess appointment power was viewed differently in the nation’s early days. Congress was away from the capital for long periods of time and allowing the president to fill a position quickly became a necessity.

— President George W. Bush appointed several judges to U.S. courts of appeals using recess appointments. One, Judge Charles Pickering (search) of the Fifth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals, withdrew his name from consideration for renomination when his recess appointment expired.

— President Bill Clinton made a recess appointment of Bill Lan Lee (search) as assistant attorney general for civil rights. Clinton also used the power to name James Hormel (search) as ambassador to Luxembourg.

— In 1961, John F. Kennedy used the recess appointment to gain a seat on the federal bench for Thurgood Marshall (search), who six years later become the first black associate justice on the Supreme Court.
Seeber
looking for a WOW server
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

Seebs wrote:Yawn -

WASHINGTON — President Bush is taking advantage of Congress' vacation and giving John Bolton (search) a recess appointment to be the next U.S. ambassador to the United Nations. What is a recess appointment?

— A recess appointment occurs when the U.S. president fills a vacant federal position during a Congressional recess.

— The appointee stays on the job until the end of the next congressional session, unless the Senate ratifies the appointment thereby allowing the appointee to serve longer.

— Recess appointments are authorized by Article II, Section 3 of the U.S. Constitution: "The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session."

— The recess appointment has been used mostly in recent history to bypass a Senate politically opposed to the nominee.

— The recess appointment power was viewed differently in the nation’s early days. Congress was away from the capital for long periods of time and allowing the president to fill a position quickly became a necessity.

— President George W. Bush appointed several judges to U.S. courts of appeals using recess appointments. One, Judge Charles Pickering (search) of the Fifth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals, withdrew his name from consideration for renomination when his recess appointment expired.

— President Bill Clinton made a recess appointment of Bill Lan Lee (search) as assistant attorney general for civil rights. Clinton also used the power to name James Hormel (search) as ambassador to Luxembourg.

— In 1961, John F. Kennedy used the recess appointment to gain a seat on the federal bench for Thurgood Marshall (search), who six years later become the first black associate justice on the Supreme Court.
The left will never admit anyone other than Bush was wrong on this and the right will never admit they should not be doing it either.
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Oh shiz, Luxembourg.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

/yawn

First president to do this was.... Washington...

I despise Bush but this is a big whoopdiedoo appointment to a defunct agency known as the UN
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

And this vacancy "occurred" during a a recess of the senate...Funny they the senate in the last session were discussing the nominee in question...Good to know they are prescient...:D
Brotha
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Re: Way to support and defend the constitution...

Post by Brotha »

Arborealus wrote:significant bipartisan concern for Bolton as Embassador to the UN.
If there was so much "bipartisan" concern, why wasn't he put up for a vote instead of fillibustered? :lol:

And yeah, this is nothing special; many presidents have done this before. Going by your logic, you don't hate "dictators," except when they're named Bush.

Atleast Republicans were willing to put Clinton's nominees up for a vote before he bypassed the Senate.
Freedom of speech makes it much easier to spot the idiots.
Animale
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Animale »

Umm... Bolton wasn't filibustered. The vote was delayed because he didn't have enough votes yet to even get out of committee.

Come on... if the Repubs had full support for him the Dems wouldn't waste this much time stopping somebody to this kind of post.

Animale
Animale Vicioso
64 Gnome Enchanter
<retired>
60 Undead Mage
Hyjal <retired>
Brotha
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Brotha »

Animale wrote:Umm... Bolton wasn't filibustered. The vote was delayed because he didn't have enough votes yet to even get out of committee.
Umm...yes, he was.

Yes, the committee vote was delayed in April, then in May this:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/05/12/senate.bolton

The committee didn't recommend or not recommend him, it just sent him up to the Senate.

Then Bolton was filibustered in the Senate- twice (this one was the first).

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/27/polit ... oref=login
Senator Bill Frist, the majority leader, described himself as "very, very disappointed" by what Senator Harry Reid, the top Democrat, conceded was the "first filibuster of the year."

With Republicans holding a solid majority in the Senate, Mr. Bolton still appeared poised to win confirmation if his nomination is put to an up or down vote. But a Republican-led effort to end debate on Mr. Bolton tallied only a 56-to-42 majority, leaving Republicans 4 votes short of the 60 necessary to bring Mr. Bolton's nomination to a final roll call.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

There was cock blocking going on in both directions on Bolton. The Dems filibustering the shit out of him and the WH refusing to release requested files to the bipartisan commitee. Both of those situations ultimately resulted in this situation, but the Dem cockblock is the only one that made the Fox talking points. I think its fair to say that a lot of moderate republicans were worried about this guy who has been described by his own party as "a Neocon's Neocon", especially given his vocal history of shit talking the UN. Its a little like appointing Spike Lee the head of PR for the KKK, its not going to be pretty.

I think filibustering him is pointless at this juncture, anyhow. They made Bush put him in the ugly way and if he fucks up at all he won't get ratified down the road anyhow. The real place to pick a fight right now is the Plamegate situation and the DSM. No one gives a fuck who represents us to the UN anyhow, just look at Nigroponte (sp?) and how long he hung in there.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Brotha wrote:Going by your logic, you don't hate "dictators," except when they're named Bush.
Ermmmmm? Do you often just pull assumptions out of your ass?

I'll grant that I hate Bush greatly, but your leap of "logic" here is phenomenal, please point to anything I have ever said that would lead you to that conclusion :lol: . Please explain again how sheeps' bladders may be used to prevent earthquakes...
Brotha
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Brotha »

Arborealus wrote:Ermmmmm? Do you often just pull assumptions out of your ass?

I'll grant that I hate Bush greatly, but your leap of "logic" here is phenomenal, please point to anything I have ever said that would lead you to that conclusion :lol:
Arborealus wrote:I guess he does enjoy dictatorships when he's the dictator...
So you call Bush a dictator for using a recess appointment to bypass the Senate and point out how you think it's hypocritical of him to slam dictators when (in your mind) he himself is a dictator.

I see that and I see that many presidents before Bush (some for political reasons) have used recess appointments to bypass the Senate, including President Clinton. Did you ever call Clinton or any of the other presidents dictators or act like the Consitution and freedom as we know it were being destroyed any of those times? True, I'm assuming you didn't, but somehow I really doubt you did. Hence, other "dictators" (people who bypass the Senate) are fine by you, but Bush isn't.

And of course I'm not saying REAL dictators are fine by you, just other "dictators" who have previously been presidents of the US (I used quotes!!).
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

bush appointing anyone in this manner shows nothing but a sick abuse of power..."emergency" appointments made when the senate is on vacation are to be made for that purpose alone, the bush admin was also denying the senate information on some of bolton's records. the power of the executive branch imo needs to be downgraded about 500%...just in the bush admin alone many have noticed an unhealthy growth in the power and influence of the executive branch
-xzionis human mage on mannoroth
-zeltharath tauren shaman on wildhammer
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Brotha wrote:
Arborealus wrote:Ermmmmm? Do you often just pull assumptions out of your ass?

I'll grant that I hate Bush greatly, but your leap of "logic" here is phenomenal, please point to anything I have ever said that would lead you to that conclusion :lol:
Arborealus wrote:I guess he does enjoy dictatorships when he's the dictator...
So you call Bush a dictator for using a recess appointment to bypass the Senate and point out how you think it's hypocritical of him to slam dictators when (in your mind) he himself is a dictator.

I see that and I see that many presidents before Bush (some for political reasons) have used recess appointments to bypass the Senate, including President Clinton. Did you ever call Clinton or any of the other presidents dictators or act like the Consitution and freedom as we know it were being destroyed any of those times? True, I'm assuming you didn't, but somehow I really doubt you did. Hence, other "dictators" (people who bypass the Senate) are fine by you, but Bush isn't.

And of course I'm not saying REAL dictators are fine by you, just other "dictators" who have previously been presidents of the US (I used quotes!!).
I was playing on Bush statement that a dictatorship would be easier as long as he was the dictator. Its pretty clear he is not a dictator IRL thanks checks and balances (SCOTUS).

And yes I am uniformly against obvious abuse of this law independent of the president involved.

And where in the hell did I say he was hypocritical for slamming other dictators etc etc? Quit pulling things out of your ass and implying they are my words or thoughts you aren't even in the ballpark.
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

how the fuck can you have any respect in the un when you pronounce casablanca kays-uh-blank-uh
-xzionis human mage on mannoroth
-zeltharath tauren shaman on wildhammer