People who own GIANT vehicles...

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Anyone who thinks that saving the environment is some liberal hippie we-love-trees issue is ignorant.

It's a complicated issue, but what it boils down to is that our destruction of the environment is directly responsible for poverty, the existence of many slums, crime, and war. Fucking the environment causes forced migration, which causes conflict. I'm not going to get into get into the entire argument here, but if you want to get a basic idea, I suggest reading the first chapter of "The Coming Anarchy," by Robert Kaplan.

What I'm saying is: Some people who complain about SUV's aren't just doing it to combat global warming, ozone holes, and other such liberal issues. Some are concerned about issues which pretty much everyone deems important.
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: neost
Wii Friend Code: neost

Post by Neost »

I have to say, like was posted previously, fuck you if you don't like what I drive.

It's my right to drive whatever vehicle I can afford and if you don't like it, tough shit.

I drove SUV's for the last 10 years until I decided to switch back to a full sized pickup truck.

And yes, it's fire engine red, has a "Freedom will be defended" sticker on the bumper, and an American Flag graphic on the back glass. It's a 5.3 liter V8 that eats gas like John Goodman at an all-you-can-eat buffet. But guess what? I can afford that too. I have a gun rack, fully loaded. I kill bambi's for pleasure. You don't like any of that? Too goddamn bad :twisted:

When I park in a normal parking lot, the fender wells damn near hang over each side of the space provided. Don't bitch at me, bitch at the business that measured their parking lot and figured they could get an extra 20 spaces by cutting the size of their spaces down to fit economy fucking cars.
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

Sun,

Actually I bought it not for economic reasons, but because I have always been into bracket racing, and it is a perfect car for that intended purpose. The seats are soft leather and very comfortable as a daily driver. It has reasonable gas mileage when not being race-driven (I average around 26-28MPG combining city and highway driving) I have to admit the convertible, and the very nice stereo system is a purely enjoyment thing, but nothing beats that first warm day of false spring, sun lighting up the sky and Beach Boys blaring out as the last of the snow melts.

Of course above all I bought it because I fell in love with it, I was in the dealership lot to find a decent used car, and it was sitting on a revolving turntable platform with the top down, and the lights reflecting off the moonlight metallic blue paint, while the reflections subtly lite up the white leather interior. The salesguy was checking my credit stuff, and I was checking it out while waiting, a few minutes later he came out, and made a major sale by saying, "You know, your credit is good enough to get that easily rather than some old used car" I drove it down the ramps an hour later after they removed the plate glass panels :-)

The only people that buy SUV's from falling in love with them like that are those that have legitimate needs for them, towing, hauling, bailing, lifting, toting etc. The rest are just SHEEP!
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

And yes, it's fire engine red, has a "Freedom will be defended" sticker on the bumper, and an American Flag graphic on the back glass. It's a 5.3 liter V8 that eats gas like John Goodman at an all-you-can-eat buffet. But guess what? I can afford that too. I have a gun rack, fully loaded. I kill bambi's for pleasure. You don't like any of that? Too goddamn bad

Your post makes baby Jesus cry.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Kylere wrote:Sun,

Actually I bought it not for economic reasons, but because I have always been into bracket racing, and it is a perfect car for that intended purpose. The seats are soft leather and very comfortable as a daily driver. It has reasonable gas mileage when not being race-driven (I average around 26-28MPG combining city and highway driving) I have to admit the convertible, and the very nice stereo system is a purely enjoyment thing, but nothing beats that first warm day of false spring, sun lighting up the sky and Beach Boys blaring out as the last of the snow melts.

Of course above all I bought it because I fell in love with it, I was in the dealership lot to find a decent used car, and it was sitting on a revolving turntable platform with the top down, and the lights reflecting off the moonlight metallic blue paint, while the reflections subtly lite up the white leather interior. The salesguy was checking my credit stuff, and I was checking it out while waiting, a few minutes later he came out, and made a major sale by saying, "You know, your credit is good enough to get that easily rather than some old used car" I drove it down the ramps an hour later after they removed the plate glass panels :-)

The only people that buy SUV's from falling in love with them like that are those that have legitimate needs for them, towing, hauling, bailing, lifting, toting etc. The rest are just SHEEP!
People who use 'convertible' and 'racing' in the same post make the baby Jesus cry.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Voronwë wrote:man wait until you have kids.

i have never seen a more functional automobile than the Chrysler Town and Country that my sister-in-law has. she has twin 1.5 yr old boys. the mini-van is the best thing they ever bought.
I wasn't debating the utility of mini vans, I like them a lot better than SuVs. And trucks for that matter. More room, better gas mileage and usually 5k+ cheaper.

Most folks (esp. with kids) I know that own SuVs would be a lot better off with a mini van. Some of them will even admit it, but refuse to drive one for various reasons.

We had an Astro until about 6 months ago, when we traded it in on the 4 door dodge truck. It was OK for going to the boat ramp down the street, but the one I usually use to go out in the gulf is 40 miles away. V6=sucky highway towing.

We've had a truck of some sort for 18 years, usually with a gun rack too. Makes a great place to keep umbrellas when not being used for it's intended purpose.
Last edited by Aabidano on November 20, 2002, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Yes because my point about that was entirely based around whether or not you can afford the gas and nothing else.
Ocelott
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Ocelott »

LOL This is the funniest thread I have read in a long time.
Ocelott Puppythief
Kitty Rogue
Veeshan

"You do not need a parachute to skydive, you just need a parachute to skydive twice"
Fallanthas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fallanthas »

I wub you too, bannana-breath.

Let me know when you are in town and I will let you come h8 all over the back bumper.

Or something.
Hayley
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Hayley »

I absolutely refuse to drive a minivan. Driving a minivan seems to just completely obliterate any kind of driving common sense you may have once had.

"The Mad mom minivan"
This is the woman you see driving down the freeway, in the either far left or far right lane. Lanes mean absolutely nothing. There is no such thing as a passing lane. The only lane that exists has a speed limit of around 85 and requires you to spend half your time looking evilly at the tikes in the back through your rear view mirror while bitching them out.

"The Soccer mom minivan"
This is the woman that absolutely loves lugging around the neighborhood kids. Aside from keeping up with the Jones', driving to her means being in the far left lane at a comfortable speed of about 15 mph under the speed limit. Random acts of breaking are a very common occurence. Life is grand.

"The Dad in the minivan"
See Mad mom minivan. He's just pissed he got stuck driving the minivan.

Yes I'm generalizing. Sue me! :)
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

But Wait this just in its not only those crazy Americans manufacturing those large SUV but those Germans are involved.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWSScience0102/ ... i-can.html
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

Hayley,

You forgot a minivan category:

The Fucking Loser: The guy who uses a minivan for his daily commute and never has anyone or anything else in the damn thing.
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Axien_Dellusions
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Funny thing happened today...

Post by Axien_Dellusions »

Funny that this topic should be brought up today, I was at the grocery store this morning coming back from a doctor's appointment and I pull in the parking lot. Plenty of parking in the middle half of the lot and barely any up front except 2 spots. The grocery store I go to has places for compact cars and expectant mothers. Seeing the expectant mother parking was open I drove towards it.

A woman in a caddilac escalade whips in front of me and then proceeds to get her 4 year old out of the car and have him measure the parking spot to see if she can fit which she obviously can't. She gets in and then gets stuck in the car because she can't get out. Now to me that is a bit retarded seeing that she isn't pregnant and she is now stuck in her vehicle. My firebird could have easily fit in the parking spot. To me that is stupid. Why drive something you can't fit into a regular sized parking space?

Axien
Lvl 65 enchanter (retired)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstien

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo Galilei
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

And another class of minivan owner:

I couldn't give a shit what anyone thinks of me and it holds all my fishing/hunting/shooting stuff in locked storage :)
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

oh puuuuuulease!

Post by Skogen »

Neost wrote:I have to say, like was posted previously, fuck you if you don't like what I drive.

It's my right to drive whatever vehicle I can afford and if you don't like it, tough shit.

I drove SUV's for the last 10 years until I decided to switch back to a full sized pickup truck.

And yes, it's fire engine red, has a "Freedom will be defended" sticker on the bumper, and an American Flag graphic on the back glass. It's a 5.3 liter V8 that eats gas like John Goodman at an all-you-can-eat buffet. But guess what? I can afford that too. I have a gun rack, fully loaded. I kill bambi's for pleasure. You don't like any of that? Too goddamn bad :twisted:

When I park in a normal parking lot, the fender wells damn near hang over each side of the space provided. Don't bitch at me, bitch at the business that measured their parking lot and figured they could get an extra 20 spaces by cutting the size of their spaces down to fit economy fucking cars.
So much for being responsible, and doing your little part to help the enviornment, and conserving the worlds resources!
Yeah, great you can afford it. Who fucking cares? Its just plain decadent & shallow to think like this..."yeah, I have the money, I can afford it, I am not responsible for what might be wrong with it! I didn't make the rules!
Every person on this earth is responsible for conserving what we have, and taking care of planet. Some people have OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS more resposibilty than others, but make no mistake, we are ALL in this.
Ghandi once said "Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it" is very appropriate here.
Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Rivera Bladestrike »

Soccer Mom Effect... in the town I live in, a SUV or Minivan is purely a woman car in, which thousands of enraged soccer moms drive their gas guzzling cars...
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Ajran wrote:.. live in the Black Hills of south dakota

Now somewhere in the Black mining hills of Dakota there lived a young boy named Rocky Racoon....
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

no shit!

Post by Skogen »

Rivera Bladestrike wrote:Soccer Mom Effect... in the town I live in, a SUV or Minivan is purely a woman car in, which thousands of enraged soccer moms drive their gas guzzling cars...

I hear you there!! The bane of the freeways in San Jose, Ca. is the middle aged woman in the minvan.
Ocelott
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Ocelott »

So Skogen, I suppose you use recycled paper, never use plastic, buy clothing or items that were not made in a 3rd world country that doesn't have environmental laws and drive an electric car. If not then you have no right to preach to me on the environment.

Have to call hypocrite on this one.

<cheers>
Last edited by Ocelott on November 20, 2002, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ocelott Puppythief
Kitty Rogue
Veeshan

"You do not need a parachute to skydive, you just need a parachute to skydive twice"
seiffil
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by seiffil »

Kylere wrote:Hayley,

You forgot a minivan category:

The Fucking Loser: The guy who uses a minivan for his daily commute and never has anyone or anything else in the damn thing.
Bah wasn't my fault my dad gave me the astro to use for driving to high school. No one else but me or him will drive the damn thing, surprised it's still around though.

SUV's look good, I personally don't have too much of a problem with them, except for the suburban, that thing is just way too damn big.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Neost wrote:

Congratulations, you just earned your PhD in Stupidity
Last edited by Chidoro on November 20, 2002, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neost »

Absofuckinglutely astounding.

Like I give a shit about the environment. I won't be here in fifty years anyway. Why should I care for anything other than my own comfort?

Worry about it for my kids? fuck them too. They can make their own way in the world. I had to do so.

I've farted shit stains into my underwear with more significance than you tree-hugging world savers. Why don't you go terrorize some fur-wearing old bat that scares easily?
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

Ocelott wrote:So Skogen, I suppose you use recycled paper, never use plastic, buy clothing or items that were not made in a 3rd world country that doesn't have environmental laws and drive an electric car. If not then you have no right to preach to me on the environment.

<cheers>
I do what I can. Honestly, this "all or nothing" mentality that you are pushing is irritating. All I am saying take a look at your lifestyle, and do what you can to conserve, and not pollute. Of course I am guilty of some things, just like everyone else.
Blowing off ALL responsiblity simply because one doesn't boycott EVERYTHING bad/wrong with our world is just fucking ridiculous.
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neost »

If you're going to claim my PhD in stupidity, why don't you attempt to prove it?

It's easy as shit to come here and /quote someone and call it stupidity. Why don't you say WHY you think it's stupid.

Oh, sorry, it's much easier to /quote and then make some vapid statement with nothing to back it up than have a real opinion or try to prove it?

Just fuck off.
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

Neost wrote:Absofuckinglutely astounding.

Like I give a shit about the environment. I won't be here in fifty years anyway. Why should I care for anything other than my own comfort?

Worry about it for my kids? fuck them too. They can make their own way in the world. I had to do so.

I've farted shit stains into my underwear with more significance than you tree-hugging world savers. Why don't you go terrorize some fur-wearing old bat that scares easily?
LOL! I am kinda new here....is this guy really like this, or is he just fucking around?
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I live in LA and I must say that I cannot stand SUVs. With that being said, they are fantastic vehicles. Hell, people like them, but unfortunately, few can actually drive them, much less park. My most hated SUV list as follows:

Ford Exploder/Expedition - I am afraid to drive beind them, and here is why--if the tailgate explodes, I do not want to have babies, soccer balls and groceries be in my path--that is bad.

Cadillac Whatchamahickie - Doesn't matter what it is called, it is annoying
Lincoln Navigator - Same as Caddie.

If you need one, use it properly and drive like a banshee - works for me :)

As for me, I drive a 2001 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 V6 with all the dressings and a 5-speed manual tranny--I love my truck. I get to be at eye level with the SUVs and I can take it anywhere.

I have always been a truck person. For 3 years I had a Toyota Tercel as it was the only thing I could afford at the time. I tell ya, if driving a small car in LA is not an excercise in frustration and anger, I don't know what is. Also, FUCK HUMVEES! They are everywhere now!!! Talk about a big fucking grocery cart!!!! :P
en kærlighed småkager
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

It's all beginning to become a lot clearer as to why you bragged about being able to afford gasoline.

You go you breadwinner!
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neost »

Once again, an observation with nothing in it.

Did you learn zero quantitave speak from Orwell?

Give me something to work with here....
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Skogen wrote:LOL! I am kinda new here....is this guy really like this, or is he just fucking around?
I'm pretty sure he is trolling.
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

kyoukan type-R wrote:
Skogen wrote:LOL! I am kinda new here....is this guy really like this, or is he just fucking around?
I'm pretty sure he is trolling.
*sniff* you don't remember me Kyoukan!? We are old guildmates!! (for a while, at least)
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

oh yeah, and what is "trolling"?
Ocelott
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Ocelott »

I can't help that I think tweaked out suburbans look cool. I did buy mine with the intent of making it look bad-ass. It just rubbed me the wrong way that people try and point a finger saying I am not conscious of the environment because I drive a SuV.
When I go out clubbing with my friends we all pile in and hit it. That saves 5 or 6 parking spots at the clubs and tons of gas. :) So I do make my contributions.

<cheers>
Ocelott Puppythief
Kitty Rogue
Veeshan

Ajran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Ajran »

Truant wrote:
Ajran wrote:.. live in the Black Hills of south dakota
Now somewhere in the Black mining hills of Dakota there lived a young boy named Rocky Racoon....
i think he lives in my neighbors yard.. cause the fucker don't know to put his trash in a trashcan instead of leaving the black garbage bags sitting out between pickups.
Ajran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Ajran »

Skogen wrote:oh yeah, and what is "trolling"?
Well son where i come from Trolling is getting a boat on the lake, with like a little 2HP motor. You drop your line over the side of the boat. Drink a 12 pack. pull the line in and go home..

Same concept here.. cept the fuckers never go home..

-Ajran
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

SUVs are to the '00's as the Camaro was to the 80's. Every dipshit has one. Baaaaaahhhhhhhhh.

I am hoping for this whole global warming thing to hurry the hell up. I am going to have the Harley sometime around June and would love to not drive a car at all (except for hauling the golf clubs).
Drasta
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drasta »

people drive big cars/trucks/suv's because it gives them a sense of power ...and compensation for somethin there lacking in .... i think its funny when u see someone that is about 5" driving a huge ass diesel truck with one of those extended bed thingies i hate suv's/trucks u can't see around the damn things because they take up all the road.

oh yea anyone see those ugly trucks with the 2 tires on the back ? i donno what its called reminds me of a 18 wheeler those things are sooooooo ugly
Corona
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Corona »

Drasta wrote: oh yea anyone see those ugly trucks with the 2 tires on the back ? i donno what its called reminds me of a 18 wheeler those things are sooooooo ugly
You mean Dualies. Usually see those hauling cargo around here *shrug* or with a camper attached to the 5th wheel in the truck bed.
"Ale", 55 Cleric

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Well, I am not ashamed to admit that we are actually looking to buy a minivan pretty soon. Best thing imho for a family for driving. I think the problem with minivans is that too many people have them that don't know how to drive.

I have a 45 minute drive to and from work. I get to see lots of bullshit on the highway. The thing that bugs me the most is that 75mph is too slow. People just fly down the highway and normally it is someone in an SUV or Pickup that feel that they are invincible, especially when there is snow and ice on the ground. Just makes me hope Darwin was right. There are zillions of stories to be told but we have all heard them before.

"I think we should save the environment for our children but not our children's children. Because our children shouldn't be having sex." -Jack Handy
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Ok, I don't drive (and don't want to drive) an SUV. I have a Lincoln Town Car now, and my roommate has a lifted '02 Dodge Ram. I think we are both considerate about how we park, but what annoys us large vehicle drivers most is not that the small cars do have more designated spaces in our apt complex than non-compact spots. It's that these small cars insist on taking all of the available large spots, fire lanes, etc and LEAVING the small car spots open because they are afraid of other small cars dinging their doors.
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neost »

WTF?!?!? I just got home from an appointment and someone has posted using my account!

DAMN LEET HAXORS!!!

It wasn't me it was my brother/sister/dog/cousin/mom/xouqa/pyrella!

I wouldn't say those things!!!!!!

Damn, Kyo...you take all the fun out of it....
Last edited by Neost on November 20, 2002, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Anyone who buys a SUV and lowers it should be shot on sight. Morons.
Dreadnaught
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dreadnaught »

it all depends on what part of the contenent you live on. if you live where i do , suv's are the best thing going for ya, practicly cant go anywhere in the wintertime without 4 wheel drive, or enough height to clear most of the snow drifts.
Dreadnaught
\Dread"naught`\, n. 1. A fearless person.
Ocelott
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Ocelott »

LOL Scare me some more Kelshara.

People can at least see over my Suburban. :p
Ocelott Puppythief
Kitty Rogue
Veeshan

noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Kelshara wrote:Anyone who buys a SUV and lowers it should be shot on sight. Morons.
HELL FUCKING YES!
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Fallanthas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fallanthas »

oh yea anyone see those ugly trucks with the 2 tires on the back ? i donno what its called reminds me of a 18 wheeler those things are sooooooo ugly

City folk.

Skogen, I agree an all or nothing approach to environmentalism is stupid, as are most black and white arguments.

However.

You would do a hell of a lot more for the environment arguing against the constant production of new vehicles and the incentives offered to trade every other year than dissing large vehicles. Production of automobiles causes a hundred times the environmental damage that operation them does.
Metanis
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Metanis »

WTF?!?!? I just got home from an appointment and someone has posted using my account!

DAMN LEET HAXORS!!!

It wasn't me it was my brother/sister/dog/cousin/mom/xouqa/pyrella!

I wouldn't say those things!!!!!!
Dammit Neost! You were winning here and then you go and throw it away! You had the moral high ground and the chutzpah bullshit equally well covered! Damn! Damn! Damn!

The only possible way to recover is to claim the unadulterated Premium fuel fumes were affecting your memory!

DISCLAIMER - I don't care what you drive or how you drive it... just get the fuck OFF my highway! NOW!
cid
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cid »

I own a Durango. Sorry if you h8 me too fookin bad. Sorry but a Duster cant pull my boat when I want to go fishing, it cant pull my seado's when we goto the lake, it can't climb the mountains when we go camping or skiing in the winter. But my big ass Durango can!!!

As a family we take OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS of road trips, and my kids are OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS more comfotable in the Durango, and comfotable kids are what you want on long ass drives.

So take your h8 elswere and kindly fuck off. Or grow up and have a family and then see how much you like your small ass cars.
laneela
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by laneela »

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that people who drive SUVs do so because they ummmm.... feel like it. As far as I'm concerned, it's your money, do with it as you please. I didn't ask strangers their opinion when I bought my Accord and I'm pretty sure they don't care about mine. If you want to buy a car solely to annoy people in your GARGANTUAN car, by all fucking means, go for it.
Laneela
You may take our lives, but you will never take our trousers!
Hayley
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Hayley »

I think the point of this is...why buy a bunch of under-utilized space. It's like the couple that have no children and no pets but feel it's necessary to buy a 20,000 square foot home. Did they buy it for it's functionality and the thought that they could live months in the home and never see each other, or did they buy it just as a mere status symbol of their wealth.

People can "by all fucking means, go for it," in their expenditures, but it sure as hell doesn't impress me in their impracticality of their purchases. I'm sorry, I've got to raise an eyebrow and wonder wtf is going on in their head when people say they bought their car simply because they felt like it.

All this aside, the question was directed towards people like myself. I live out in the 'burbs and my husband drives probably a whopping 2 miles in his very full-size, 4-doored, lift-packaged pickup truck to work. The only justification for the purchase of that vehicle was that 1) it's family ready 2) has the capability of hauling shit in the back and 3) can tow a boat whenever we decide to buy one.

I think Cid and Laneela took the original intent of the poster way out of context. Please correct me if I'm wrong Lalanae!
Adex_Xeda
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Adex_Xeda »

Some towns I've been had roads so rough you needed a beefy vehicle to survive them day to day.

Some towns have moms with 3 boys and a houseload of travel gear. (my sister in law)

Some towns have retired folk who like to go out with friends and haul all 8 of them in the same vehicle. (My folks)

I must confess that I'd take some form of personal pleasure in owning one just because I knew it would piss off environmentalists.

I don't own a SUV (me->light pickup), but I do know people and instances where they're a good fit.