Guild Wars

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Guild Wars

Post by Skogen »

http://pc.ign.com/articles/606/606567p1.html

its gold. who plans on having a whirl at it?
Acun
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: CommanderKudos

Post by Acun »

From the movies and previews Ive seen on it, its at least worth a try. Dont know how stable the servers will be, but its worth checking out.
Booze - Retired Hunter on Zangarmarsh
Acun - Retired Cleric of Veeshan

Suggestions on a game?
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

I tried their 'preview' events a couple of times. It seemed to be in the same boat as Lineage 2 to me when I tried it. Pretty graphics, boring gameplay.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

It's done by the same people who did L2 and CoH (ncsoft).

Played the alpha - enough that it filled my two weeks of interest that I would have otherwise spent on release. It's interesting sure, but once you reach level 20 it's all GVG (Guild vs. Guild), and you can only go so far with that. The leveling won't take you long either, and while they may fine tune how long it takes, it won't make much of a difference. 3 days I believe is the current time it takes. The fighting is very fast paced - imagine PS and EQ mixing. You HAVE to be on the ball at all times.

All I can say is don't expect much support or customer service, considering there's no monthly fee.
miir and I are best friends. <3
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Guild Wars takes the best elements of today's massively multiplayer online games and combines them with a new mission-based design that eliminates the tedium of those games. You can meet new friends in towns or outposts, form a party, and then go tackle a quest together. Your party always has its own unique copy of the quest map, so camping, kill-stealing, and long lines to complete quests are all things of the past. Within a quest you have unprecedented freedom and power to manipulate the world around you: your magic can build bridges and open up new pathways, or it can burn down forests and tear the ground asunder. You don't have to spend countless hours on a leveling treadmill to get to the interesting parts of the game, because combat is designed to be strategically interesting and challenging right from the beginning. You don't have to spend hours running around the world to prepare for a quest, because Guild Wars allows you to instantly travel to the beginning of any quest that you've previously unlocked. You'll never spend days playing only to discover that choices you made early on have left you with a permanently uncompetitive character, because the unique skill system in Guild Wars allows infinite experimentation but doesn't allow bad decisions to ruin a character. And you'll never meet new players only to discover that you can't play with them or compete against them because their characters are on a different server than yours; in Guild Wars, all characters live in one seamless world
After watching the movies here:

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/552/552148/vids_1.html

The graphics look nice but animation seems a little choppy. The characters appear to only have one combat animation each.

Still pictures look pretty nice. Better than WoW at least but not quite Lineage 2 level:

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/552/552148/imgs_1.html
Erolz NTurnet
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Erolz NTurnet »

Winnow wrote:The characters appear to only have one combat animation each.
Amen! I can't help to think of Rock'em Sock'em Robots every time I've seen the "actual gameplay" movies. The skill and spell lists look very interesting though.
Hooray Beer!
Ebumar
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ebumar »

Rellix played with me during alpha and the beta weekend events. This last weekend my guild got 2nd in the world, 1st in the US for GvG (guild vs guild). Seriously this is the fastest paced MMORPG ever. Faster than most FPS's infact. There is also a lot of strategy involved in the high level GVGs. It's a fun game, but don't think I'll be playing it in release - as I pretty much feel I've already beaten the game.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

i'm compelled to go out and buy this game tomorrow... even though i spend no time in front of the computer anymore. :-x
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Fash wrote:i'm compelled to go out and buy this game tomorrow... even though i spend no time in front of the computer anymore. :-x
don't :)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

On a whim, I bought this game today. It's my first foray back into MMORPG's since EQ...well first one I've actually purchased. It was on sale and ended up costing me 30.00. With free online play, it looks to be a decent game to play from time to time.

I've already written off the money, much like you do when you plan a trip to vegas as wasted cash so if there's the slightest bit of entertainment it will be considered a bonus.

I'll figure it out tonight and post my game name if anyone else ends up getting it.
Erolz NTurnet
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Erolz NTurnet »

Ugh. I been wanting to buy a new game and this has been one of the games I've been interested in tryng out. One of my best friends is a FPS fiend but did dig himself some Diablo so I was hoping I could try and convince him to try this. He does not believe in paying monthly for a game (yet) so that is a bonus.

Kinda worried about replay value on it though and haven't been able to find enough reviews that were helpful enough in deciding...

I keep thinking of Diablo type instanced missions with a pretty graphical chat room for finding a group.. /shrug
Last edited by Erolz NTurnet on April 28, 2005, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hooray Beer!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I'll be picking it up. Figure it'll be mindless fun when I'm not feeling like WoW
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Seems pretty easy to get the hang of from this online basic manual:

http://guildwars.com/manual/default.html

I like the little mini map thingy.

lol. I like one of the Primary Professions Skills, "For Great Justice!"

Very descriptive..."Charge!"

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The all important listing of emotes. There's hope for any game that has /shoo as an emote.

Emotes
/afk
/agree
/attention
/beckon
/beg
/boo
/bored
/bow
/bowhead
/catchbreath
/cheer
/chest
/clap
/congrats
/dance
/doh
/doubletake
/drums
/excited
/fistshake
/flex
/flute
/goteam
/guitar
/help
/highfive
/jump
/kneel
/laugh
/moan
/no
/paper
/pickme
/point
/ponder
/pout
/ready
/roar
/roll #
/salute
/scratch
/shoo
/sigh
/sit
/sorry
/stand
/taunt
/violin
/wave
/yawn
/yes
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

After playing for one night, here are my initial impressions.

Interface (UI)

Is well done. easy to customize the size and location of windows. pop-up information on just about anything you hover the cursor over (spell info, ect) Very useful mini radar map that helps you get to quests, party members, mobs etc. The UI isn't cluttered but has all the info you need.

Best out of the box UI yet IMO.

Quests

Excellent again. The game is free flowing. You can have several quests going at once and the quest journal is easily accessable and ties to the mini radar map to help guild you. The quests tell you what's at stake to help with your decision making.

Graphics

This is made by the same people that made Lineage 2 which until now, I thought had the best graphics in any MMORPG. Guild Wars outdoes Lineage 2 in all respects...models, animation of models, and the incredibly detailed background world. I'm running this game in 1920X1200 which is stunning and no lag (with 6800GT and 1GB RAM) Check my linked screenshots as the ones I've seen posted don't seem to do it justice at all.

I don't know what SOE's problem is but this game handles beautiful animation, effects and motion scenery with no problems. I've included a zip file with 30 or so 1920X1200 screenshots I took tonight. I didn't want to downsize them and lose the quality so I can't post them in the thread here:

Guild Wars 1920x1200 Screenshots ~35mb

Pets and Companions/Henchmen

Again well done. Pets stay with you until they die. They zone with you and wait outside cities for you. There are also relatively painless ways to res your pet after it dies making life with a pet very enjoyable in this game. Easy to control and don't do stupid things on their own.

You can accept NPCs into your group starting right at the beginning of the game. You'll see in my screenshots that some little girl is with me for quite a long time. Initially she was part of a quest but then she just hung around. Henchmen are a little more useful on the otherhand. You can go into a city and just pick up henchmen for free and add them to your group. It's a solo player's dream. Add your same level henchmen (ranger, casters, etc) and go on your quests that need more than just yourself. Very cool and they don't cost money. This game is well done. It takes all the no fun stuff out and lets you enjoy the quests and fights.

Load Times

There are zones in this game but very well done. It never took more than 5 seconds to zone. Your pets, companions, henchmen all zone with you.

Cities

Nice thing about cities is that your weapons and some armor go away while you're in them automatically. This is nice as you really don't want to be putting your bows, swords, masks, etc away each time you enter a city. They reappear when you leave. As mentioned above, your pets and other NPCs go away until you leave the city as well which is nice.

I haven't gotten into armor and weapons yet but it's a combination of buying and having the right materials to get them off merchants. The game balances out the need for money and your ability to gather items nicely.

Maps/Travel

Yet another outstanding job done by the programmers/designers. As you travel to different locations and cities, they become available on the map as instant ports. You can port to any place you've been to before without having to travel all over the countryside. I love it. Yet another tedious thing taken out of the game. There's still plenty of travelling and exploring but you don't have to take 15-30 minutes to travel along a road to get from city to city. You'll still have your opportunity to be attacked by bandits closer to your destination after porting.

The world map looks to be hugantuous.

Classes/Skills

After one night, I have limited experience but here's my thoughts:

I chose Ranger for my first character based solely on the hottness of the female ranger and nothing else, but rangers turned out to be a nice class. The ranged attacks are well handled and the animations for bow attacks are the best I've seen all the way down to the models gripping the arrows, detailed arrows in flight, etc. Rangers get pets in GW so using a bow with your pet as the tank does work. Rangers can also use swords and blunt weapons to you're not that restricted in this game. Rangers also get a slow spell which gives them the best part of an EQ shaman.

I played enough to figure out secondary class/skills and chose "Mesmor" (enchanter) because it was the first one I ran into. Mesmors have a few sub class spells to them and I had three spells before logging tonight.

Grouping

After hitting level 3, I ended up taking a quest that sort of takes you out of newbie mode. You get randomly stuck with 4 other players (your intro to grouping) and you have a minute to get ready as you go head to head against another made up group of players arena style. It was fun and the way it's setup, it's the first time people group in the game. You stick together to do the rest of the quest which takes you to a major invasion that demolishes the city you started in and you end up in the ruins of it. After that, you see people auctioning etc as the previous areas were only newbies it turns out...I think it's a nice way to allow players to get the hang of things.

Game Stability

Not even a hint of a crash. The game flows smoothly and is well polished. The game window is easily minimized if needed.

Animations

I've already said it's the best looking game yet IMO. Soundtrack good, text is well written (not some asian hack job), attention to detail is amazing. Emotes are also the most extensive. /shoo was great as expected but they had some fun with dancing. Some do the Elain (Seinfeld) funky dance, all have extensive dances, and other emotes. This is pretty useless but still the best out there.

Verdict

I can only comment on the quality and fun that playing solo has been so far. The ability to add henchmen and excellent quest system will keep you entertained. The game is easy to pick up but also has plenty of diversity and strategy to each of the classes and subclasses if you choose one.

Guild Wars was able to take most of the tedium out. Sitting around waiting for mana and health is gone. The strategy involved in managing your health and mana all comes during combat. Once it's over, you get your health, mana, etc back quickly so you don't have to sit around.

Free Online gameplay means that you can play it at your own pace and not have to worry about pumping out 10-15.00/month on a game you may only play once a week after awhile but will still want to play.

Communication is easy in the game and guilds look to be well done with fancy capes you wear that identify your guild. All the standard chat channels are there...whisper, group, guild, etc.

Thumbs up if you're looking for a very well done game that allows you to play the game without being tied down for long periods of time and avoids the excessive tedium without taking it all out...there's plenty of farming you can do to get armor/weapons.

For the brief 30 minutes I was grouped, I had a good time. Some have said you can level up fast in this game but I don't see myself maxing anything out for a long time to come at my pace.

The game isn't origial in any sense. It adds to what has come before. If you don't go into the game expecting a life changing event, you'll have a good time.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Nice Review Winn!

Anything to say about Monks? They have any fighting skills or are they pure priests? :)
Breagen
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Breagen »

From what I remember of Beta monks are primarily healers, however they worked very well as a secondary class to a warrior. It was one of the most common builds for PvP when I was playing...
Forest Stalker - EQ Retired
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I played last night. Some fun was had.

Played a ranger as well however mine was a male. I'l thinking of making a female elementalist(mage/wizard whatever.. The class with the fireballs).
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Ok so regardless of what I posted above, I bought the game anyway, mainly because I already had guild connections, but also out of boredom. My view has changed a bit, mainly due to the fact that prior to tonight I'd not leveled a character (in alpha) beyond 4 (I'd been playing lvl 20 pvp characters with all skills unlocked).

Winnow pretty much hits it on the dot - the game takes the tedium out and it's more along the lines of "if you feel like doing it, then do so, if not, don't." Now with that rule you probably lose some great parts of the game. You don't have to choose a secondary class, and by skipping quests and grinding, you don't have to pick up all your needed skills. It's just highly recommended.

Anyway, in regards to the monk question: I'm currently a level 9 monk/necromancer, and with all the lifetaps and smiting I have available right now, I basically just hire a healing henchmen and do insane damage. So yes, a monk *can* be boring, but only if you want to make it so. The game is flexible enough that you can choose to be pure damage and then change to healing at any time. The attribute points work in a great way, you lose them when you switch around your skill points, but for every 250 xp gained, your attribute points refresh.

If this didn't make sense, it's because i'm not awake yet.
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

/agree Winnow, I must admit, this game has amazing graphics. Easily better than any of the MMO's out there, in my opinion. Screenshot 50 was fucking beautiful - looks like the kind of screenshot you'd see on the back of the game's box or in a magazine advertisement.
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Erolz NTurnet
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Erolz NTurnet »

Great post Winnow!

More on skills & classes!

You choose your primary profession upon character creation and during the course of newbie island, you'll run into the other profession trainer types. From what I can tell, they'll give you a quest and some temporary spells from that class to help finish the quest which'll let you try out some of their spells. Upon completion of the quest, you can then decide if the secondary profession is right for you... and you can be any freaking thing you want. Also, your characters outfit is based off whatever your primary class is (mesmers look silly :()

You can carry up to 8 skill/spells out into the field at anytime regardless of the number you know. From seeing the list, there are quite a few. You can change them out in cities and such so you have to plan what you want to take with you.

As you level, you get points which can be allocated to the attributes of your profession(s). Each spell is linked to one of these attributes and as an attribute gets raised, the strenth/duraton of the skills/spells that are associated with it goes up. These points can be allocated at anytime and can be refunded fully and put into something else as long as you have the reallocation points available to do. I was constantly rearranging my attributes last night and never had any issues.

There's no naming policy in place either as far as I can tell so ya see some pretty silly names. My favorite so far was 'Lesbii Ann'. :lol: Sadly, it seems a lot of kids play as there are a lot of random assclownery and hijinks going on in the newbie town.

This is definitely a game I can see playing with friends or when I just feel like tooling around a bit.
Hooray Beer!
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

http://www.rellix.org/gw003.JPG

Monk w/ Sword for the win
Desolet
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Desolet »

I was pretty dubious of this game at first, I am getting tired of spending 50 bucks to play yet another MMO for a month, only to get sick of it and have it collect dust on my desktop. However, after seeing Winnow's pics and reading up a bit more on the game I think I might go check this out as well. It sounds like the perfect game if you have a small number of friends to group up with on a regular occasion.

My only question is how does the progression work? Is it more quest driven (WoW) or grinding (EQ)? Also, with a fully (or near fully) instanced game how are the quests? I am worried about totally randomally generated quests (ala SWG style) and zones, they tend to totally ruin the feel of actually accomplishing anything. Is this the case with GW? Or are the quests and dungeons static, and just the zones themselves are instanced? Random quest / zone generators are teh suck....

Also, I heard some complaints that there isn't much to do other than PVP at the higher end, please tell me there is still some decent PVE stuff to be done once you get to level 20.

Thanks!
Erolz NTurnet
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Erolz NTurnet »

As far as I can tell, just about everything (from zones to quests) are static.

You are forced group up for a PvP confrontation at the end of the newbie areas, and trying to target a specifc enemy when they were clumped together wasn't very easy. I'll roll up a strictly PvP character later to play around with it though. Hopefully it'll be fun but I think they're talking about adding fresh content via expansions so we shall see.

In the long run, I see it as a way to chill. Since there's no monthly fee, I won't feel as bad when I load it back up again. With all my henchmen, it kinda felt like playing Dungeon Siege (sorta maybe kinda). Will give this game some time to settle before I figure out how I really feel. :p
Hooray Beer!
Ebumar
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ebumar »

Tonight as I'm leveling I'll write up a PVP review.
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

http://www.rellix.org/gw009.JPG

Pretty weather (snow) shot.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I forgot to mention the manual "manuscripts" that comes with Guild Wars. It's 145 pages and the first 72 of those go over lore, personalities, etc of the Guild Ward world, Tyria. The opening 24 pages is a short story to get you started. It's well done for those that like a thought out background in a game and there is nice artwork cover to cover (except on the purely text cover itself!) of the small paperback sized book.

The rest of the pages do a nice job of introducing the basics of the game. I though this was worth mentioning because a lot of games suck in this area as well. "Guild Wars" sounds like a name stamped on a game which no character but it appears to have at least as much as EQ.

A nice touch as it's really not needed with the well done cut scenes, tutorial already in the game. They could have gotten away with just a card board quick reference card with keyboard commands and other info which is also included.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This seems like the best site for Guild Wars info. The Builds Directory might help peeps figure out what Profession/Sub Profession might work best for them.

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/index.php

Good forums as well.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

I made a ranger too. Though I had a hard time trying to come up with a secondary class because I wasn't really interested in using one of the other classes without benefitting from their class specific attributes. Plus letting you only leave town with 8 skills is retarded since you can get dozens and dozens of skills available just for your primary class. I just picked necromancer so I could play with the curses but I'm going to focus on the ranger skills.

The graphics are really nice but it kind of feels like I'm playing a single player game instead of a mmorpg because everything is instanced but the towns, and it's already pretty rare that I even can communicate with anyone because it seems to me that 3/4 of the community is already korean.. The game says that they put people in town instances based on the address they put in but most of the people I've interacted with are like I KOREA U CHINA? ME GOSU OK?! KIL DIABLO???

Still I'm going to give it a try.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

before i found out you were playing, i had no problems with this game...

jk tho..

this game is like mangina online.. even i'm playing a chick char.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Ebumar
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ebumar »

Ugh been playing since 9:30PM YESTERDAY

It's now 11:38pm. I will write up the pvp review sometime later...
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

You're a loser!

Hall of Heroes was/is fun.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

kyoukan wrote:I made a ranger too. Though I had a hard time trying to come up with a secondary class because I wasn't really interested in using one of the other classes without benefitting from their class specific attributes. Plus letting you only leave town with 8 skills is retarded since you can get dozens and dozens of skills available just for your primary class. I just picked necromancer so I could play with the curses but I'm going to focus on the ranger skills.
I restarted and made a Elementalist/Ranger. From my first 10 hours of playing this combo, I'm pretty set on keeping it. The idea behind it is to do massive fire damage and use the wilderness skills of the ranger for quick recovery. I got the idea from one of the nuke build examples here. (site was down when I posted this)

I highly recommend giving it a shot. At lower levels, the pet has been a big help keeping melee off of me while I blast away with mega damage fire bombs, both single target and AE. Elementalists have a spell that helps you regen HPs each time you cast an energy spell. A few times, I was able to keep myself alive by casting DDs.
--------------------
Further comments after day two

I spent some time researching the classes a bit and ended up with an Ele/Rngr. There really is no bad combo and my choice probably won't fair well in PvP but is great for PvE.

- Don't go to the academy (the quest where it warns you there's no turning back) until you're level 5 or 6.

With my first character, I went as soon as it was offered at level 3. There are lots of things to do in pre-seared Ascalon. The Catacombs are huge and you can gain some dye for changeing armor colors, lots of craft material that you will need when you buy new armor, can get some easy cash on some quests and obtain your main skills while learning the ropes. Once you get to seared Ascalon, all of the places you've been are gone and you start out in the devastated city with the entire population.

- Try out an elementalist. Casters are fun to play in this game. Casters aren't pusses like in EQ. You can stay alive and enjoy a little more strategy. You can still pick up the full skill set of any other class.

I'm still kind of in awe of the graphics in this game. Saying they are "gorgeous" may sound faggy, but it's the best word to describe them. I zipped up 26 more screenshots. These include more action shots so you can see how the game looks/plays...especially for the Elementalist/Ranger.

Guild Wars -Set 2 ~13mb 1920x1200

94 - Sol Shadow my monk (so Kwon can see what monks look like)
109-post searing Ascalon
122-lake reflection, fireball
134-swimsuit back
135-swimsuit front
144-Shen Shen vs Shaman
146-nailed in the crotch by a Crawl arrow
151-one of the map port location trade outposts
155-demonstrating the AE Firestorm spell
157-AE XP at its finest!
167-one of the "gorgeous" picks
177-close up
180-catacombs
189-spell effects
190-pic of pet
193-the prince and some guard freaking out over my pet
196-gorgeous 2
201-very cool bridge
207-216-nice examples of combat
218-hella nice looking pic (I think the water was poisoned as you can see me and pet dying in the pic)

Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

This looks good! :D

She looks asian in pic 094
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:This looks good! :D

She looks asian in pic 094
She is! The designers did a good job of providing facial, skin tones and hair styles to fit most preferences.

No afros but you can have corn rows!

I finished up my Pyromancer Elemental Armor set tonight. It's all attitude!

It's kind of ugly (fire resist specialist armor) but maybe I can dye it until I upgrade again. Armor isn't as important for casters so I may be stuck in this for awhile.

Each item in this particular set costs 150gp and required several salvagable items from drops. It's a good idea to save stuff and use the Salvage Kit on things to convert them to craft items. Another good idea is finding out what craft material your next set of armor will need and make sure you keep those items.
Desolet
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Desolet »

Well, I went and picked this up on Friday and played it through most of the weekend. For the most part the game is very well done - I love how easy it is to go from quest to quest and mission from mission. With just another friend and I we were able to do everything we came across with 2 henchmen in the group.

I was amazed at how good the henchmen AI is, in particular the monk. She does a fantastic job on keeping everyone healed, automatically rezzes if someone dies, and tends to stand near the back of the action to not get wailed on (although I notice creatures tend to make a bee-line for her anyway). What I don't understand is why I continue to see people in the areas right before missions shouting for more people to join their group? In my experience so far, I have yet to group with a monk PC that does anywhere near as good of a job as the henchmen does.

All that being said there are a few things I don't really care for either. The overall simplistic nature of the game seems like it is missing some major elements. Most importantly a more detailed character information screen. I felt like something was missing, and realized that the game has no real detailed information about your character - IE your armor class and attack damage and what not. It just doesn't feel right to play a MMO where I can't see what my total AC is.

Also, I noticed if someone goes LD while you are in a mission you are totally fucked. The only way to get that person back into your mission (regardless of how far into it you are) is to port out and restart the mission from scratch (unless I am missing something here, and if so please correct me). My buddy had some connection issues and we ended up having to spend nearly 4 hours completing the stupid Ruins of Surmia mission - what a pita.

However I still am having a great time unlocking new skills and going from mission to mission (which I might add is quite fun, the missions do a great job of really progressing the storyline). It will be interesting to see the game grows from here.
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

Winnow wrote:[Casters aren't pusses like in EQ.

I am sure you are referring to Wizards that had no idea how to manage aggro and were constantly being summoned to their deaths. Unlike great Magi who knew how to use their pets wisely to avoid death and costly delays. :twisted:
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

Played 40+ hours this weekend. Leveled a Monk to 20 and am already leveling up an elementalist.
Desolet
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Desolet »

Has anyone else noticed there is a "Bork Bork Bork" language option on the startup screen?

:lol:
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

jeez rellix :!:

im at 6... :lol:
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Menelaos
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Menelaos »

I must say, very beautiful game. I love the graphics and character models, and the game itself is pretty ufn so far ;) I'm only level 4 atm, made a Ranger/Elementalist. Boy, do I pack a punch ;) Loving this combo so far. I did ranger/everything else, to try all the secondary classes, and liked this one the best. I have an elementalist fire AE spell that just kicks ass.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Desolet wrote: I was amazed at how good the henchmen AI is, in particular the monk. She does a fantastic job on keeping everyone healed, automatically rezzes if someone dies, and tends to stand near the back of the action to not get wailed on (although I notice creatures tend to make a bee-line for her anyway).

Also, I noticed if someone goes LD while you are in a mission you are totally fucked. The only way to get that person back into your mission (regardless of how far into it you are) is to port out and restart the mission from scratch (unless I am missing something here, and if so please correct me). My buddy had some connection issues and we ended up having to spend nearly 4 hours completing the stupid Ruins of Surmia mission - what a pita.
Who wants to be a healer anyway? I really like being able to plug in a healing henchmen (well bald tatooed female) and count on decent healing although you still have to pull mobs off her etc so it's not a free ride.

I did notice my Fighter henchmen res'd the healer as well so that's a bonus : ) I think each non monk class can res once per instance.

I like being able to work a zone without repops and have the entire zone repop if you leave. That works great for leveling up and to reduce tedium of fighting all the way back to a point you died. The reduced percentage weakness you experience after death is penalty enough and you lose that right away if you zone because you have to do the whole quest over anyway. More fun, less PITA.

I did have a quest go bad last night. The one with the lost supply people you need to escourt to Piken Square. I found them and escourted them back (which I assume meant taking them to the zoneline, but after zoning, the quest was still there so I'm not sure what I needed to do on that one.

I got a silver dye off a mob and bought another for 250gold to change my outfit from the yellow/red flames to a nice black/silver look. Aesthetics cost more than the actual protection in this game : )

Fun game. Not meant to replace EQ. It just shows you how to make a quality game with top level graphics, animation, sounds, quests and stability that can run on a normal computer focused on fun. That can only help the industry.
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

My guild is playing Guild Wars.

Come by at http://www.guildunknown.com

A few of you have been in my guilds before, so if you want in just let me know... we use Ventrilo and everyone is always on voice while playing, so make sure you have a microphone.

I'll talk with you more over at the Guild Unknown site.

-Xanupox aka Scar
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

wow, an opportunity to suck with xanupox in a whole other game.
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Xanupox »

I have an invite ready for you K-Y, just tell me your in-game name.

Anyway, for the time being just PM me from here if you want to hook up. I can invite to guild while you are on or offline, so just shoot me your ingame name if interested.

The Guild Unknown site is back up, register there and send me a PM with your in-game name.

Xanupox aka Scar
Last edited by Xanupox on May 10, 2005, 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

Xanupox wrote:My guild is playing Guild Wars.

Come by at http://www.guildunknown.com

A few of you have been in my guilds before, so if you want in just let me know... we use Ventrilo and everyone is always on voice while playing, so make sure you have a microphone.

I'll talk with you more over at the Guild Unknown site.

-Xanupox aka Scar
i picked up this game yesterday, currently a lvl 5 warrior/elementalist looking for some good armor quests...throw xzion ironlion a tell if you see him online regarding the guild
-xzionis human mage on mannoroth
-zeltharath tauren shaman on wildhammer
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Xanupox »

Im working tonight, I'll be on tomorrow afternoon/evening. I'll send ya an invite.
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Xanupox »

Sent ya the invite, sorry didnt have time to logon yesterday.
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

Fuck, you guys got me. I'm in.

Are there different servers? I'm still installing XD

Welcome back to MMORPG hell, a_niffoni!
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

There are no seperate servers, you can play with everyone. Towns and Mission Outposts have multiple districts(channels) that you can switch in and out of whenever you want.