Turn Signals

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Do you use your turn signals?

Yes (always)
80%
No (never)
1%
Sometimes
19%

Total votes: 75

Nilaman
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Turn Signals

Post by Nilaman »

The recent poll about driving brought up to my attention that there seems to be an increasing number of people that can not use their blinkers/turn signals.

I think this is easier then breathing. If for whatever reason, my blinker is out, I have my arm out the fucking window to make sure everyone knows I am turning.

It seems everywhere I go, I see at least 10 people a day who can not figure out how to use turn signals. What the hell is their issue?

Do yall use em?
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

People that don't use turnsignals are the reason I cut my bike riding short last year. Too many assclowns that can't use a simple finger switch to let me know they're about to turn down the street I'm crossing.
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

If I'm going to slow you down or cross your path, I'll use a blinker.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Akaran may just have hit a sore spot with me. I think the thing that annoys me the most when I am driving is people biking on the fucking road, especially when there is a perfectly good sidewalk they can be on. You are not a car, can not move the speed of a car, and do not belong on the road. Not to mention that some of the bikers I see seem to think that they don't have to wait at stoplights like the rest of traffic.. You cannot choose to drive on the road most of the time, but turn into a crosswalk pedestrian because you don't want to wait at a light.

Whenever I see someone biking on the road I honk the horn way before, and way after I get to them, not to mention if they have the nerve to flick me off or something I will find something in my car to throw at them.

Go ahead and start flaming me, especially probably noel, but I don't care :)
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

Funkmasterr wrote: Go ahead and start flaming me, especially probably noel, but I don't care :)
I don't approve...but I understand.
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

Funkmasterr wrote:Akaran may just have hit a sore spot with me. I think the thing that annoys me the most when I am driving is people biking on the fucking road, especially when there is a perfectly good sidewalk they can be on. You are not a car, can not move the speed of a car, and do not belong on the road. Not to mention that some of the bikers I see seem to think that they don't have to wait at stoplights like the rest of traffic.. You cannot choose to drive on the road most of the time, but turn into a crosswalk pedestrian because you don't want to wait at a light.

Whenever I see someone biking on the road I honk the horn way before, and way after I get to them, not to mention if they have the nerve to flick me off or something I will find something in my car to throw at them.

They are actually supposed to bike on the road. The problem I have is when they are on the road but ignore stop signs and traffic lights. They are supposed to treat all road signs just like you and I do. Sidewalks are supposed to be for pedestrians.
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

Avestan wrote: They are actually supposed to bike on the road.
Again, I understand, but I don't approve. =D Here in Cali we have bike lanes which is good, but I'd feel safer if there was a cement barrier separating them from the rest of the road... I go slower around bikes anyways because I have to give them space because I have no clue what retard is riding it.
Tenuvil
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tenuvil »

Funkmasterr wrote:Akaran may just have hit a sore spot with me. I think the thing that annoys me the most when I am driving is people biking on the fucking road, especially when there is a perfectly good sidewalk they can be on. You are not a car, can not move the speed of a car, and do not belong on the road.
Woo, yet another ignorant driver. Check your laws son, not only are bicyles allowed on the road they have a legal right to be there. You fuck with a cyclist because you "don't believe they should be on the road" and you will be charged with a motor vehicle offense.
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

Tenuvil wrote: Woo, yet another ignorant driver. Check your laws son, not only are bicyles allowed on the road they have a legal right to be there. You fuck with a cyclist because you "don't believe they should be on the road" and you will be charged with a motor vehicle offense.
Yup, it sucks because even though they might fit on the road with you they cause slowdowns. Although in my perfect world, pedestrians and bicyclists would never touch the road. All crosswalks would be bridges above the road, or tunnels under like they did in the USSR. (Perehod) I can dream though. =D
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Avestan wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:Akaran may just have hit a sore spot with me. I think the thing that annoys me the most when I am driving is people biking on the fucking road, especially when there is a perfectly good sidewalk they can be on. You are not a car, can not move the speed of a car, and do not belong on the road. Not to mention that some of the bikers I see seem to think that they don't have to wait at stoplights like the rest of traffic.. You cannot choose to drive on the road most of the time, but turn into a crosswalk pedestrian because you don't want to wait at a light.

They are actually supposed to bike on the road. The problem I have is when they are on the road but ignore stop signs and traffic lights. They are supposed to treat all road signs just like you and I do. Sidewalks are supposed to be for pedestrians.
I so wish more people understood that bicycles are have the same right of way...Worst bike wreck I ever had was a car passing me as I made a turn which I had clearly signaled...then again she had way more $ damage than I did...I smashed the heck out of that hood! :)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I don't care what the laws say dipshit, just because its a law doesn't mean it's the way things should be, and if you don't understand that son, I feel sorry for you. Bikers have no place on the road, it is unsafe no matter how you look at it. And here in minnesota in most areas that I feel its even necessary to be biking period (in the city) there are bike lanes, and half the time the fuckers cant even use them.

Edit: stop saying ignorant drivers by the way (all you fucking douchebags that are saying it) Ignorance would mean I don't know what I am talking about and don't know the laws. I am fully aware of the laws, but here in the united states, I have the freedom to my opinion, which is that bikes don't fucking belong on the streets.
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Funkmasterr wrote:I don't care what the laws say dipshit, just because its a law doesn't mean it's the way things should be, and if you don't understand that son, I feel sorry for you. Bikers have no place on the road, it is unsafe no matter how you look at it. And here in minnesota in most areas that I feel its even necessary to be biking period (in the city) there are bike lanes, and half the time the fuckers cant even use them.
Pay for bike lanes on every road then...I'd much rather not have to worry about idiots like you who think they own the road...Until then suck it up and quit whining...
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

Arborealus wrote: Pay for bike lanes on every road then...I'd much rather not have to worry about idiots like you who think they own the road...Until then suck it up and quit whining...
I certainly would pay higher taxes to not have to worry about people/bikes/whatever else getting in the road...

Something that usually goes less than 20 miles an hour should not be sharing the same road as something that usually goes 60.
Last edited by Lohrno on February 28, 2005, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nobody
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by nobody »

i don't mind bikers on the road but i wish they would stick to lesser trafficked one's instead of the main road where there is a lot of activity to pay attention to. bikers actually are supposed to ride on the road as opposed to the sidewalk so i have no problem there but choose a different road, not the four lane, commercial zoned, extremely busy one.
My goal is to live forever. So far so good.
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. - Benjamin Franklin

خودتان را بگای
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I too would not object to part of our tax money going to biking lanes. But considering MN swindles away money its supposed to spend on its roadways for something as simple as maintenence, and cannot even do something as simple as expanding a 10 mile stretch of highway 2 lines wider in anything less than 8 years, I don't see it ever happening.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Funkmasterr wrote:Edit: stop saying ignorant drivers by the way (all you fucking douchebags that are saying it) Ignorance would mean I don't know what I am talking about and don't know the laws. I am fully aware of the laws, but here in the united states, I have the freedom to my opinion, which is that bikes don't fucking belong on the streets.
The skinny, your opinion classifies you as an ignorant driver. You state you act out ignorant driving tendencies in a forum of zero accountability. I'm willing to bet you act on such tendencies as a result.

Suck it up and share the road you lethargic hunk of shit-flesh
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

Chidoro wrote: The skinny, your opinion classifies you as an ignorant driver.
I would like to know how his opinion classifies him as an ignorant driver. His throwing shit at people does, but I don't think his opinion does.

I think on grounds of safety, comfort, speed, eficiency, and court costs his opinion is valid.

It's safer for bikers to not use the roads. It's more comfortable for them to not be driven by close, making them nervous, same goes for cars. Bikers slow down traffic, making it less efficient a system, and the court battles of the physical interractions between the two cost the system.
Nilaman
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Nilaman »

Stop derailing my fucking topic.
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

Nilaman wrote:Stop derailing my fucking topic.
Sorry, must be my derailuer. Yes I almost always use turn signals. :D
Last edited by Lohrno on February 28, 2005, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nobody
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by nobody »

Nilaman wrote:Stop derailing my fucking topic.
This coming from someone who highjacked Tenuvil's thread and started their own!? :lol:
The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of it. You have to catch up with it yourself. - Benjamin Franklin

خودتان را بگای
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Lohrno wrote:
Chidoro wrote: The skinny, your opinion classifies you as an ignorant driver.
I would like to know how his opinion classifies him as an ignorant driver. His throwing shit at people does, but I don't think his opinion does.

I think on grounds of safety, comfort, speed, eficiency, and court costs his opinion is valid.

It's safer for bikers to not use the roads. It's more comfortable for them to not be driven by close, making them nervous, same goes for cars. Bikers slow down traffic, making it less efficient a system, and the court battles of the physical interractions between the two cost the system.
Perhaps, because he feels his opinion allows him to act outside the law of the land? That would seem to show some level of ignorance.

There's a lot of bike paths around here, many of them are neither on the road nor the footpath which is nice, but occasionally they have to use the road. I'd much rather share the road with a bike when I'm driving than the footpath while I'm walking.

My only objection to cyclists is the jackasses that think it's OK to ride their bike across pedestrian crossings.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Funkmasterr wrote:Edit: stop saying ignorant drivers by the way (all you fucking douchebags that are saying it) Ignorance would mean I don't know what I am talking about and don't know the laws. I am fully aware of the laws, but here in the united states, I have the freedom to my opinion, which is that bikes don't fucking belong on the streets.
but you don't have the RIGHT to drive.
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

Zaelath wrote: Perhaps, because he feels his opinion allows him to act outside the law of the land?
I'm not a big fan of strictly adhering to the laws either unless they concern safety. But yeah throwing shit at people is ignorant, having the opinion that bicyclists shouldn't share the same road I think isn't.
My only objection to cyclists is the jackasses that think it's OK to ride their bike across pedestrian crossings.
So long as they're not hitting anyone I don't see the problem in this.
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

Boogahz wrote: but you don't have the RIGHT to drive.
Then you develop a better way of getting everywhere you need, smartass. :D
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Lohrno wrote:
Boogahz wrote: but you don't have the RIGHT to drive.
Then you develop a better way of getting everywhere you need, smartass. :D
A bike is a vehicle that can be used as transportation. They are not allowed on some roads around here (interstate/highway), but they have as much of a right to the road as anyone else.

Show me where you have the RIGHT to drive (not the ABILITY to drive) and I will join your country where you can have anything you want.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Lohrno wrote:
Zaelath wrote:
So long as they're not hitting anyone I don't see the problem in this.
If they want to use a pedestrian crossing, they need to be pedestrians; ie, get off the bike.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Perhaps, because he feels his opinion allows him to act outside the law of the land? That would seem to show some level of ignorance.

There's a lot of bike paths around here, many of them are neither on the road nor the footpath which is nice, but occasionally they have to use the road. I'd much rather share the road with a bike when I'm driving than the footpath while I'm walking.

My only objection to cyclists is the jackasses that think it's OK to ride their bike across pedestrian crossings
You are the only person that manages to go in one ear and out the other with me, even though I can't physically hear you. I feel my opinion allows me to act outside the laws of the land... Do you abide by all laws, Ghandi?

but you don't have the RIGHT to drive.
.......... People driving is fine, but the bikers make the roads an unsafe and uncomfortable environment for all parties involved, and if you are going to honestly turn this into a "you dont have the right to drive thread", well.......... I don't know how I can make something simple, simpler for you to understand, but here it goes.

I don't give a fuck about who has the right to do what or if it is legal or not. What I am talking about - and all I am interested in discussing, is the fact that bikers prohibit traffic from moving as normal, and make an uncomfortable environment for everyone.. simple enough i think
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

The roads are not available only for cars, but for vehicles. Like someone else mentioned, a bike with a rider is considered a vehicle and is expected to follow the same rules of the road. This is why a mounted bike is not supposed to be ridden on the sidewalks or across a ped x-ing. Now, whether or not that is enforced where you live or not is another story.

I mentioned that you have no right to drive, and neither do those on bikes. There are reasons why sharing the road is a requirement (but in some darwinian cases it should be dropped).
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

Boogahz wrote: Show me where you have the RIGHT to drive (not the ABILITY to drive) and I will join your country where you can have anything you want.
I never claimed it wasn't a priveledge. I do claim that in America, there are places where there are no alternatives. I would like to see an America in which you could get anywhere (relatively quickly) without requiring cars.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Please, PLEASE, not this discussion again... go bump the 30 page thread on it from a few months ago.
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

No, no I just hate when people smugly say "It's a priveledge not a right." This is true, but it's not like our current situation is conducive to alternatives. Let's face it, America is designed for cars.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I totally agree :)
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Funkmasterr wrote:

My only objection to cyclists is the jackasses that think it's OK to ride their bike across pedestrian crossings
You are the only person that manages to go in one ear and out the other with me, even though I can't physically hear you. I feel my opinion allows me to act outside the laws of the land... Do you abide by all laws, Ghandi?
Yeah, umm, I was replying to Lohrno. You've made it quite apparent from your last few posts you don't have any respect for anyone or anything, I don't see much point in discussion w/ that personality type.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

although it is a misconception that I do not respect others opinions, I am glad you came to that conclusion, maybe it will prevent me from being preached to by you in the future. You see, I have my opinions, and although I may argue about something, i do not expect anyone to see things my way. This is because ony 99% of the time, i am not going to change my opinion at all regaurdless of the methods you use.

edit - if you werent replying to me, then dont speak of me either, no need to play those pathetic games, we're all adults here chief.
Brotha
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Brotha »

I disagree with throwing stuff at people riding bikes on roads and I fully realize that they have the right to bike on roads, but I think at times it's pretty ridiculous. It's one thing if you're biking to work or on a multi-lane, not busy road, but when someone is clearly biking for recreational activity on a BUSY TWO LANE ROAD with a speed limit of 45, holding up traffic, and making it difficult for people to pass because both ways are busy, it's very asinine. No doubt he'd go off on a self-righteous spiel about how it's "his road too" if someone ever stopped him, but bikers have no business riding in some places.

However, the vast majority of bikers I've come across on the road know where they should and shouldn't bike and haven't really been a problem.

On topic, I always use turn signals and I expect everyone else to as well. I'll let someone over if they have their turn signal on everytime, but sometimes when they don't and they clearly want to get over I'll be a jackass and not let them. Eventually they'll turn their turn signal on and like magic a space will open for them.
Freedom of speech makes it much easier to spot the idiots.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

A point I didnt think of before you said it , Brotha. I guess I don't so much mind if its someone biking to work, although it still bothers me. But what really gets me is the people all homo'd up in their spandex, they do not NEED to be on ANY road.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I guess I am the opposite. I have no problem with them being on a two-lane, but I don't think they should be on a major thoroughfare, like IH-35, 183, or MoPac here in Austin. They are not actually allowed on those roads and more here.

On many two-lanes that I come across cyclists the view is great. I just relax and watch my surroundings a bit until I can pass. I guess that is a benefit of living in central Texas though.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Funkmasterr wrote:although it is a misconception that I do not respect others opinions, I am glad you came to that conclusion, maybe it will prevent me from being preached to by you in the future. You see, I have my opinions, and although I may argue about something, i do not expect anyone to see things my way. This is because ony 99% of the time, i am not going to change my opinion at all regaurdless of the methods you use.

edit - if you werent replying to me, then dont speak of me either, no need to play those pathetic games, we're all adults here chief.
I'd refute that from your behaviour on the road. You act like an impatient child, I think it's reasonable to think of you as one.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Boogahz wrote:I guess I am the opposite. I have no problem with them being on a two-lane, but I don't think they should be on a major thoroughfare, like IH-35, 183, or MoPac here in Austin. They are not actually allowed on those roads and more here.

On many two-lanes that I come across cyclists the view is great. I just relax and watch my surroundings a bit until I can pass. I guess that is a benefit of living in central Texas though.
Yeah, seriously.. how long are these hold ups from a cyclist, and how frequent?

If they're an actual problem, and not just a petty annoyance people have worked up in their mind, get a law passed that the cyclist has to GTFO the road if he's holding up traffic.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Well, the frequency of the delays all depend on where you are. My mom lives along a route used for several cycling events in the area which means quite often. Several other places you see them have enough shoulder room to allow them to ride "safely" through the Hill Country with little impact on traffic.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

A law like that would be nice but once again, will never happen. The place this happens the most is around a lot of the nice lakes in minneapolis... the uptown area- there are bike paths around all the lakes, and they still bike in the road. The arrogance that they can pick and choose which set of laws/rules they want to follow depending on their situation- amplifies my annoyance by about 50.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I agree that they should use the paths if they are going around the area with the paths. If they are passing through to somewhere else, it might be better for them to be on the road. It all depends on the local enforcement of whatever laws they have. They are only banned from some roads here, and cyclists have been on the news here quite a bit in regards to sharing the road. At least most of the cyclists here know that the people not following the "rules of the road" are the reason for the other's difficulties.
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

Zaelath wrote: Yeah, seriously.. how long are these hold ups from a cyclist, and how frequent?
Any holdup gets amplified with larger volumes of traffic. Still I admit I am annoyed by even a 10 second hold up. Sorry, I am an impatient bastard, I admit it.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

I expect a cyclist to gtfo of my way when it's inconvenient for me to pass him.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
nobody
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by nobody »

i expect them to gain about 100 lbs, grow a beard, put on some jeans and a leather jacket, killer boots, put on some cool sunglasses, strap a motor on those wheels, and grow some balls! :vv_jam2:

خودتان را بگای
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

Ok, look. If I'm on the street, it's because of one of three reasons:
I'm crossing it;
There ARE no cars and the paved highway asphalt is much nicer on my nads to ride on;
There is an obstruction on / lack of sidewalk that is forcing me to temporarily switch over to your realm.

The objections I have to people not using their turning lights pretty much boils down to this: I'm on a sidewalk. I'm going north, there is a road comming from the west. There is a sidewalk directly on the other side of the intersection. I will be on the road for no more than 5 seconds. You come up behind me, and disregarding my rightofway, you turn into my path without having any sort of signal. Not knowing you have other intentions of going straight, I end up putting my upper torso through your (closed) driver's side window.

THAT Is what pisses me off.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Akaran_D wrote:I'm on a sidewalk. I'm going north, there is a road comming from the west. There is a sidewalk directly on the other side of the intersection. I will be on the road for no more than 5 seconds. You come up behind me, and disregarding my rightofway
If you're on the sidewalk, I'm pretty sure you no longer have right of way like you would riding on the road. When riding on the sidewalk you aren't a vehicle using public roadways.

Anyway, I always use my turn signals, and let folks over who do.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Thess
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Thess »

We have bike lanes in Vegas!
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

I wanna go to Vegas. :(
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Turn signals? Are you kidding? That hand is in use for holding the cell phone to their ear. /sarcasm off

As for bicyclists being on the road.. if you don't like it, write your congressman. Or get your lazy ass out of your cage and start riding one yourself. For every cyclist that annoys you, there's a hundred vehicle drivers that do the same thing. The government says cyclists have to ride on the road. Around here we get a ticket if we're on a sidewalk. If it's a choice between me getting a ticket or making you go around me or wait for a section of the road that I can get out of your way - you're going to pass or wait.