See ya Sammy

What do you think about the sports world?
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

See ya Sammy

Post by Vetiria »

Aevian Dreaklear
Gets Around
Gets Around
XBL Gamertag: Bisky Campst

Post by Aevian Dreaklear »

As a Cub fan I'm really happy they got rid of Sammy. Even though they'll have to eat most of his contract, I hope they don't get stingy and not bid on Magglio Ordonez. An outfield of Corey Patterson, Todd Hollandsworth and some bumble fuck would not be good. With Hairston, it gives the Cubs a decent leadoff man and allows Corey to slide down to 2 or later in the order which suits the Cubs better. I just hope this isn't a Shawn Green type fiasco and I have to hear about this shit for weeks.
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

The Tigers have apparently offered Maggs a multi-year deal. I wouldn't come anywhere near a multi-year deal with Maggs. Maybe a one year, heavily, heavily incentive contract and maybe a second year team option.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

He's over the hill. I'd be ecstatic too if I was a Cubs fan.
XunilTlatoani
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by XunilTlatoani »

I'm going to have to take the wait and see approach with this Cubs lineup, but things aren't looking too good now. Patterson's going to really have to step up this year. Nomar, Hollandsworth and now apparently Hairston all need to stay healthy. Plus, we'll need Prior, Wood, Zambrano and Maddux to have 16-20 win seasons.

Right now, there are way too many question marks on the Cubs, and I really think they blew their window of opportunity last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see them in a down year this year, but I'm always hopeful.
Xunil Tlatoani - Gnome Arch Lich (Retired)
Keepers of the Elements

Tlatoani - Gnome Warlock
Light of Dawn (Lightbringer Server)
Stalker Vacio
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Stalker Vacio »

Dusty can now work his majik with Sosa out of there.
"Patience is a foolish virtue. It never gets you what you want when you want it. " -King Zad
Voidstalker
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Will you guys take back Mark Grace? He sucks as a commentator on D-Backs games.
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

You can keep Two Face Grace. We already have Brenley as our color guy.
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

XunilTlatoani wrote:I'm going to have to take the wait and see approach with this Cubs lineup
You can pretty much bank on another trade being completed before the Sosa deal is done. Hendry is going to take the prospects he gets from Baltimore, maybe add a prospect or two from the Cubs system, and trade for another outfielder and possibly a closer. Aubrey Huff, Ryan Freel, Austin Kearns, Erik Byrnes, and Brad Wilkerson are some of the names being mentioned for outfielders. Danny Graves and Octavio Dotel are names being mentioned for closers.

But yes, I'm waiting to see what magic Hendry works to see how much of a power house we have this year. The Cubs infield offense is already one of the best in baseball (on paper). The outfield is lacking at the moment.
Talelor
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Talelor »

Eh, Good Plan to get rid of him. Though I wouldn't say he's over the hill, He does still have helluva load of power in his swing unlike most of the remaining cubs. But damn, He has gotta work on that hand eye cordination or something and get those SO numbers wayyyy down.
Talelor Boreland
* Veeshan Retired *
XunilTlatoani
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by XunilTlatoani »

I'm not as concerned about the closer situation as everyone else seems to be. Sure, if we can steal Graves from the Reds, I'd be all for it, but I haven't seen enough from Dotel to tell me that he is capable of being a consistent closer.

We now have both Ryan Dempster and Scott Williamson that we can try to fit into that closer role. Latroy will do better in the setup role and we have a decent set of middle relievers. I still think they should give Farnsworth a chance as the closer. He's a big, tough guy with a 100 MPH fastball. I know he's inconsistant, but maybe the pressure of that closer role is exactly what he needs.
Keepers of the Elements

Tlatoani - Gnome Warlock
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

Aside from the August from Hell, Farnsworth had an ERA of 3.02 for the season. That's still pretty darn good. I'm hoping JoBo comes back healthy and takes his job back. Scott Williamson isn't expected to pitch until the end of the season if at all this season.
XunilTlatoani
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by XunilTlatoani »

ouch, I didn't realize Williamson had a second Tommy John surgery. Oh well, at least the Cubs have an option with him for 2006.
Keepers of the Elements

Tlatoani - Gnome Warlock
Karae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Karae »

New steroid rules basically ended his career...really wierd to see the Cubs make such a great move. It's ironic, Sammy Sosa is involved in probably the stupidest trade in MLB history and the most intelligent.
War pickles men in a brine of disgust and dread.