Time Travel Fund

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Time Travel Fund

Post by Siji »

:oops:

I.. I uh.. well.. umm..

--

http://www.timetravelfund.com

Morlocks aside, how would YOU like to visit, even live hundreds of years in the future? There may be a way, and that is the purpose of The Time Travel Fund(tm).

Membership Makes A Great Gift Idea!

Q: How does this work?

A: Current scientific theory states that Time Travel may be possible, however the technology is a long way off, perhaps hundreds of years in the future. Now, assume it does become possible in say, 500 years. As with any technology, Time Travel will get less expensive as time goes on. Just as the price of a VCR has dropped to less than $70 from the several hundred dollars it cost just ten years ago, Time Travel, once it becomes feasible, will initially be very expensive yet it will become more and more economical as time goes by.

Q: How does this help me?

A: The concept is that one day, it may be possible for people living far in the future to retrieve you from your current frame of reference (their past - your present) and bring you into the future (their present - your future.)

Q: Why would they want to?

A: That is the purpose of the fund. The simple answer is, we pay them to bring you into the future.

"A hundred years ago, few people believed it possible for humans to travel through outer space. Time travel, like space travel, was merely science fiction. Today, spaceflight is almost commonplace. Might time travel one day become commonplace too?"
Paul Davies, "How to Build a Time Machine"

Q: How?

A: We establish a fund in current time. You make a small contribution to the fund, and in a few hundred years that small amount grows to a very large amount. From that fund, moneys will be taken and used to retrieve you, perhaps seconds after you join, perhaps even moments before your recorded death, perhaps some other point in your lifetime. Further, the fund may even pay to have you "rejuvenated" medically (assuming this is scientifically possible at that time,) and support you financially for a number of years. (Note: Retrieving you just before the moment of death is just one possible scenario, but one that would avoid any Star Trek(TM) type paradoxes. There are an unlimited number of other possibilities, and we do not know what they will do, we can only make reasonably informed guesses.)

Q: How much will this cost me?

A: Our fee is only $10, of which a percentage is placed into the fund, to grow and earn interest, and the rest is used to pay for overhead in running the website, covering legal fees, paying for your certificate, and maintaining the database of members.

Basic Introduction to Time Travel

Plausibility of Time Travel An explanation

Q: Only ten dollars? How is that going to get me a ride into the future?

A: Compound interest. As long as the interest earned out paces inflation and taxes, the money will eventually build to where the costs of retrieving, rejuvenating and supporting you are fully covered.
For example, if you make a one-time only deposit of just a single dollar, at only 5% interest compounded yearly, in five hundred years that single dollar will grow to $39,323,261,827.22 (That's 39 BILLION with a "B" dollars!) Please note that we hope to earn 5% interest above taxes and inflation, which is very possible, even in today's economy (Tax lien certificates, for example, return 16% or better.) If we make 5% above taxes and inflation, then it would be like having $39 billion in today's money.

Time Travel For Beginners
"...according to the equations of Albert Einstein's general theory of relativity (the best theory of time and space we have), there is nothing in the laws of physics to prevent time travel"

Time Travelers

Time machines might only be available in the movies, yet many people have experienced unexplained events that seem to be temporary but very real slips into the past and the future. From About.com

Q: Wow!

A: Yeah, Wow! That's the magic of compound interest, taken to an extreme. If, taxes, fees, and inflation eat up half that much, that's still a "Wow" amount. If it were to earn a single percentage point more, or just 6%, that single dollar we invested jumps to $4,497,100,906,035.84 (that's four and a half TRILLION dollars!)

If it costs ten billion dollars to bring you into the future, you'll still have enough left over to live on in comfort for a couple of centuries, and then some. (Note: The interest in the examples above is compounded yearly. If compounded monthly, or even daily, it grows even more!)
Just to show we're not kidding about the interest, here's a couple of links to calculators on other web sites, so you can check our figures, plus a link explaining how the Compound Interest Formula works. Note: These links will open a new window in your browser, so you don't lose this page:

http://www.finaid.org/calculators/compo ... rest.phtml
http://www.moneychimp.com/calculator

Q: So what do I get for my ten bucks?

A: A percentage goes into the fund, in your name. The interest this percentage earns is earmarked for you, should we be successful. You also get a signed certificate on acid-free paper mailed to you, suitable for framing. Your name is maintained in a database, along with your current address. Should you move, you can update your address. Instructions will be included with your certificate. Further, you can put in your will to have the fund notified of the date, time and place of your death, to be entered into the database. Instructions are included with your certificate. We are also working to establish a "members only" section of the web site so you can see how the fund is doing at any time.

Q: My date and place of death?

A: It's assumed you won't live for the 500 or more years it may take for the technology to be perfected, and for the fund to grow. If, as we assumed above, you are to be retrieved at or just before your time of death, they will need to know when and where to find you. This makes it easier.

Q: Are there any restrictions?
A: Yes, several:
You will not be retrieved if you die by suicide. Sorry, but we don't want your family blaming us for you killing yourself because you think you will get to the future sooner.

You will not be retrieved if you die by execution, or are killed in the process of, or the result of, committing a crime. You are responsible for your actions, and the fund is not an excuse for you to take your frustrations out on society. (Note: You are not automatically excluded if you are the victim of a crime.)

There are no guarantees. None whatsoever. This is pure speculation, but it is a chance. Should something happen such as the people of the earth bombing themselves back to the stone age, you probably won't be retrieved. The fund is a chance to visit the future, not a guarantee. If you want a guarantee, go buy a savings bond and wait for seven years.

Q: Will they still be using money in the future?

A: We don't know, however, it is logical to assume there will still be some form of currency used, although it will probably be electronic and not physical. We expect the fund to be converted into whatever form of currency is in use, just as all those different European currencies were turned into the Euro.

Q: What if they outlaw time travel?

A: Good question. One provision built into the fund is that it must be not only technically feasible, it must be legal as well. A maintenance fund that part of your membership fee goes to can be used to pay whatever it is that passes as lawyers in the future to try and make it legal. Laws can be changed.

Q: Um, what about getting into Heaven?

A: Tough question. Our belief (without pointing to any one specific religion) is that if there is a Heaven, it has been around for thousands of years and will still be there waiting 500+ years in the future, just as if there is some kind of afterlife, it too will still be there waiting, 500+ years in the future.

Q: What is the status of the fund right now?

A: Semi-established. By that we mean all moneys collected are going into an escrow account until the fund builds enough to open a conventional open-ended trust type fund. The minimum amount to open a fund of the type we are planning is $10,000. A better amount is $50,000. This is to offer the best legal protection and management possible for the fund. We are invested in the fund, too, and want to make sure our money is there waiting for us in the future. All funds will be fully accounted for, and open to scrutiny. You will get an annual statement by e-mail. Should something (like the government) happen to prevent us from actually establishing the fund the way we are working towards, your contribution towards the fund will be refunded.

Q: Is this a joke, scam or cult?

A: No, it is not a joke, scam or cult. We are serious about this. If it were a scam we would be asking for a lot more than ten bucks. Ten bucks is enough to put you into the fund, print and mail your certificate, and cover our costs of maintaining the database and web site. We don't expect to get rich off this for at least five hundred years. It is also not a cult. Cults require you to do weird things like cut off body parts, give everything you own to the cult leader, worship flying saucers and generally change your entire life style. All we ask for is an open mind and ten bucks.

Q: When will I be retrieved?

A: We don't know. There are several possible scenarios we can guess at, and possibly more we can't. Here are a couple of possibilities:

1. You could be retrieved seconds before your recorded point of death. This brings up several points: By retrieving you right before your recorded "death" it reduces the chance of any Star Trek[tm] type paradoxes. Perhaps a "clone" of your body will be grown and inserted back in time to your point of death to take your place for the funeral. This possibility also assumes that by then medical science will have advanced to the point where you can be revived, and your body rebuilt to a younger, stronger state. Just think, you may one day wake up 1000 years in the future, a young, healthy and physically 18 years old, with several hundred years of life ahead of you.

2. You are retrieved, given the grand tour, and then put back to when you were retrieved, either with or without your memories of the future intact. This may or may not be desirable to you.

3. You are retrieved, and live a normal life in the future. Back at the time of retrieval, your disappearance is treated as an unsolved mystery.

As we said, we don't know, because there is no way to know what the technology is going to be like then. We do know the idea has been bounced around in many forms by many science fiction authors. Like the cell phone, fantasy is rapidly moving towards reality.

Q: Wait! Can't I set up my own fund?

A: Yes, however unless you take care to set it up right, your heirs would be able to go to court and take it anytime after your death. Our fund is set up to avoid this problem. To break the fund, they would have to take on a large number of people and families, not just one or two. Strength in numbers. If you want to set up your own fund, then by all means go ahead. You might want to hedge your bets by joining ours too, just in case.

Q: Why don't you just put your own money in and forget about the rest of us?

A: We are putting our own money in, but the biggest chance of success depends on putting a lot of money in. By sharing the costs with others, we can create a larger base to build upon. Try opening up an account with ten bucks, and telling whoever you have the account with you want them to maintain if for 500 years or more, and see how far you get. Do the same thing with $50,000, and you will get a lot farther. The strength in this comes from large numbers of participants.

Q: Ok, what about my deceased (spouse, parent, sibling, dog, etc.?)

A: That's one of the nice things about this concept. The fund is not just limited to the living; you can contribute for a deceased loved one. They could be retrieved moments before their recorded death, just in the scenario above, or some other point in their lifetimes, and you meet them again in the future. The beauty of Time Travel used in this way is that it doesn't matter if they have already died or not. It's all relative.

You can pay for a membership for someone who is already deceased. We have, however, placed a few restrictions on this:

1. The other person must be a close family member. Sorry, but we don't want you bringing Adolf Hitler or someone else evil like him back.

2. The people doing the retrieval get to make the decisions as to who a relative is. (Note: Once you have been retrieved, you could conceivably convince them to retrieve someone else.)

3. The person must have not stated in their will that they do not want to be brought back.

Further, you can include in your instructions that you be retrieved only when your loved one is also retrieved, so you can be together again.

One additional note: The fund itself will be a separate, non-profit entity from the corporation running this website. The fund will be used to retrieve you, provide medical expenses and provide a way for you to live, such as housing expenses and food, as well as educational expenses and what ever additional training or education you may need once you arrive in the future. This does several important things:

1. It reduces the tax bite, leaving more money for the fund.

2. It insures the fund can last five hundred years or longer.

3. It keeps you from having to pay taxes on the interest in current time.

Q: Ok, so how do I join?

A: Click on the link below, which will take you to the user's agreement for membership page.

You can use your credit card at PayPal, too!
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

Wasn't this the concept behind the Restaraunt at the End of the Universe?
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Errr, well. At least its more original than the Nigeria scammers :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

hehe I just want to find the place where I can actually earn compounded interest on my own. Screw future problems or waking up an cyborg or some shit to "fit in".

Put in a couple thousand and compounded I would never have to work again.
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I know this is a scam, namely because I'm going to donate $10 to them tomorrow with the condition that they must come visit me yesterday, August 23, 2004. Since they didn't visit me yesterday, I know that Time Travel will never be a possibility. Either that, or the guy is just a scammer and he's keeping the $10.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Adelrune Argenti
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Adelrune Argenti »

Now, why didn't I think of this first?
Adelrune Argenti
Stalker Vacio
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Stalker Vacio »

Doesn' t this violate the prime directive? 0X
"Patience is a foolish virtue. It never gets you what you want when you want it. " -King Zad
Voidstalker
Ajran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Ajran »

Sylvus wrote:I know this is a scam, namely because I'm going to donate $10 to them tomorrow with the condition that they must come visit me yesterday, August 23, 2004. Since they didn't visit me yesterday, I know that Time Travel will never be a possibility. Either that, or the guy is just a scammer and he's keeping the $10.
Or, you are actually a perfect clone with all memories intact and the real you is off 500 years in the future.
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

Is it time for me to put on my tinfoil hat yet?
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Sylvus wrote:
I know this is a scam, namely because I'm going to donate $10 to them tomorrow with the condition that they must come visit me yesterday, August 23, 2004. Since they didn't visit me yesterday, I know that Time Travel will never be a possibility. Either that, or the guy is just a scammer and he's keeping the $10.

Or, you are actually a perfect clone with all memories intact and the real you is off 500 years in the future.
ahahahahahaha
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

Ajran wrote:
Sylvus wrote:I know this is a scam, namely because I'm going to donate $10 to them tomorrow with the condition that they must come visit me yesterday, August 23, 2004. Since they didn't visit me yesterday, I know that Time Travel will never be a possibility. Either that, or the guy is just a scammer and he's keeping the $10.
There goes all the alcohol of the future 8)
Sargeras Gudluvin - R.I.P. old friend - January 9, 2005
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

I just did the same thing and I didn't come to see myself.
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

Let's just assume that all they say is true...

Are you betting on the economy and our banks actually being around that long?

-=Lohrno
Metaphantasus
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Metaphantasus »

There are a few problems with this theory. If time travel did exist, people would already be coming back here to do things. Two, time travel doesn't make any sense, like sending a terminator back to prevent the war. If he had prevented the war, he wouldn't have been sent back. Perhaps time travel exists on a spiritual, for lack of a better word, sense. Like you can come back and watch events, but not interact because it would change everything, and upon your return to the future your entire life is different because you fucked with stuff.
Balls.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Metaphantasus wrote:There are a few problems with this theory. If time travel did exist, people would already be coming back here to do things. Two, time travel doesn't make any sense, like sending a terminator back to prevent the war. If he had prevented the war, he wouldn't have been sent back. Perhaps time travel exists on a spiritual, for lack of a better word, sense. Like you can come back and watch events, but not interact because it would change everything, and upon your return to the future your entire life is different because you fucked with stuff.
Yeah, I could see something like that being possible one day...similiar to recordings now. I mean think about it, if you watch a video of someone from years ago that is dead now you are seeing them when they are alive and you are watching from the perspective of the person holding the camera but you cant go into that tape and change what is happening, or talk to that person.

If you went back 400 years and told people that in the future you would be able to watch past events exactly as they happened years after they were already over, they would think you were crazy...that would be seemingly more impossible than time travel is today.
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

Well, the current popular theory about that is that if you travel to the past you are actually travelling to an alternate universe. In your universe you dissappear, and in some alternate one you reappear, thus eliminating paradoxes... Some theorize that travelling in the past is impossible until a time machine is built. (IE you can't go back further than the invention of the first time machine.) Who knows, maybe by the time we invent it, we become responsible enough to use it wisely, and not travel wantonly through time (bahahaha, right.).

Travelling forward in time is quite easy actually, just go near the speed of light. This effect has been measured on a very small scale. The faster you go the more time speeds up around you...For you it will seem like 5 minutes has passed but it could be 30 mins back at your reference point.

-=Lohrno
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Lohrno wrote:Travelling forward in time is quite easy actually, just go near the speed of light. This effect has been measured on a very small scale. The faster you go the more time speeds up around you...For you it will seem like 5 minutes has passed but it could be 30 mins back at your reference point.

-=Lohrno
Errrmmmm traveling forward in time is a bit easier than that...just sit there...voila...
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Lohrno wrote:Travelling forward in time is quite easy actually, just go near the speed of light...
What part of this is "easy?"
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

It's easier and more pheasible than trying to travel backwards. People have been studying this for a while, and there's no proven way (even mathematically) to go back yet. Going forward is easier though, and a way has been proven. No, it's not "easy", but it's a lot easier...I believe they did an experiment where they set two atomic clocks(?), one on a shuttle, and one on the ground and synchronized them. The one on the shuttle was faster.

-=Lohrno
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

Well I am never in my life time exposed to backwards time travel or I would not be posting this, because after I had my past self never get married to my ex, I would have him not buy EQ
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Vaemas
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: BeaverButter

Post by Vaemas »

Being able to use time travel to go back and watch past events but not change them would be pretty cool. A living history lesson. Just don't go back too far...remember, no one really knows how we got here anyway, and if you go back too far, you might never come back!

While the concept of time travel has fascinated mankind for centuries, I don't think we'll ever be able to travel back in time. Forward travel is theoretically possible through relativity, but it is difficult to see the useful application of such a thing. For those individuals who believe in a greater being (or beings, depending on the faith), there exists the issue of changing past events that may have been orchistrated a certain way by the god(s) of choice for a reason. I don't think Zeus, Buddha, Christ, Mohammad, God, Vishnu, Baha'u'llah, or the tree spirits would appreciate we "mere mortals" messing with what they planned.

If you're an Athiest, you're set. You may one day be able to travel back in time.
High Chancellor for Single Malt Scotches, Accounting Stuffs and Biffin Greeting.
/tell Biffin 'sup bro!
Lohrno
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lohrno »

By the way one of the things that bugs me about time travel movies is the displacement. I mean okay fine, time travel is possible. But the thing is:

The earth moves around the sun.
The the sun moves around the galaxy.
The galaxy moves...(around in the local cluster?)

That's a lot of displacement for even 1 hour. The chances are that if you travelled back in time at the same place you would end up in space somewhere.

-=Lohrno
Vaemas
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: BeaverButter

Post by Vaemas »

A good time travel machine would have autocorrection built in to account for the displacement. After all, by the time we can create a piece of equipment sophisticated enough to travel through time, I'm sure we'll be able to exactly plot all 4 dimensions to make sure you end up in the same "physical" place you started.

Besides, I think if Hollywood brought that kind of complexity to a time travel movie, people would be very, very bored. Except for my buddy Phil. But he's just wierd like that.
High Chancellor for Single Malt Scotches, Accounting Stuffs and Biffin Greeting.
/tell Biffin 'sup bro!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Lohrno wrote:By the way one of the things that bugs me about time travel movies is the displacement. I mean okay fine, time travel is possible. But the thing is:

The earth moves around the sun.
The the sun moves around the galaxy.
The galaxy moves...(around in the local cluster?)

That's a lot of displacement for even 1 hour. The chances are that if you travelled back in time at the same place you would end up in space somewhere.

-=Lohrno
That's the best argument against time travel I've heard in awhile. Sure, location corrections could be built into a time travel device but it would be quite a bitch to get it perfect. On the other hand, if it was some sort of space vehicle, I don't think it would be as big an issue...it would be more of an issue to make sure they didn't materialize inside something as opposed to an open space. I still have problems with what happens even to the smallest particles that are displaced if something materializes.

The only time travel I can currently envision is some sort of observation mode taking place in something along the lines of a 6th dimension that wouldn't affect even the smallest particle.
Metaphantasus
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Metaphantasus »

Vaemas wrote:Being able to use time travel to go back...................... reason. I don't think Zeus, Buddha, Christ, Mohammad, God, Vishnu, Baha'u'llah, or the tree spirits would appreciate we "mere mortals" messing with what they planned.

If you're an Athiest, you're set. You may one day be able to travel back in time.
LOFL
Balls.
Metaphantasus
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Metaphantasus »

The #1 best time travel movie to date I think is Butterfly Effect. <Both Endings but the Baby one is better>
Balls.