CoH info

CoH Discussion
Tegellan
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

CoH info

Post by Tegellan »

I am considering taking up CoH, does anyone have some links for sites with good info etc.? I know i could google it, but getting links form people who alreayd play the game tends to yield better quality links.

Thanks in advance.
Fortune favors the brave!
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Just send me a PM Tegz!

I'll tell ya all about it!

I assume you need more info about classes/powers since you have seen the screenshots at http://www.coh.com
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Don't play a controller unless you can handle sucking for 28 levels. However, once they get the pets, they do kick ass.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

masteen wrote:Don't play a controller unless you can handle sucking for 28 levels. However, once they get the pets, they do kick ass.
Unless you are a mind controller, then you don't get any pets!
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Drustwyn
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Drustwyn »

Saroki control > all
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Saroki > Lots!
Mr Bacon
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Mr Bacon »

I played a controller up to level 11 - completely boring to be honest. Since there is a small possibility that I play a bit more in the near future, what class do you guys recommend based on solo ability and fun factor.
miir and I are best friends. <3
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Scrappers are my new favorite.
I have a 38 Dark/Regen, 22 Claws/Reflex and a lowibe Spine/Dark.
Good teaming and great solo.

All scrapper primaries are excellent except for martial arts which is merely 'good'. Note: MA is scheduled to get an overhaul in the near future.

Dark Melee is the best single target damage and has some nice utility attacks.'
Claws are quick with a good mix of AE, single target and a ranged attack.
Katana and Broadsword are very similar with Katana costing less endurance and not hitting as hard. BS hits harder but sucks a lot of endurance. Both have a good selection of cones, PBAE and single target attacks.
Spines is AE king. Attacks have built in slows, immobilize and DOT damage. Also has a ranged rooting attack.

Secondaries are pretty well balanced also.

Regen is awesome for a soloer. Easiest to level from the get-go with very little downtime. Instant Healing at 28 gives you mindblowing regen (5% regen per second). Can be pretty harsh on endurance and you have no damage avoidance and limited mitigation unless you get tough/weave from the fighting pool.

Super Reflex is good as long as you don't fight mobs that are much higher level than you. No damage mitigation but avoidance that is second to none. The defense toggles can be rather draining on endurance, they require a lot of slotting and you have to manage 3 different types of defense (melee, ranged and AE).

Dark Armor is the most 'offensive' oriented of the bunch. Decent toggles for avoidance, mitigation and status protection... but they must be run exclusively. Dark Armor is not exceptional in any specific defense but offers good all around utility. Fairly weak at lower levels but really starts to shine in the 20s. Death Shroud is outrageously good.

Invulnerability... heh, I can't stand this powerset but it's arguably the best. Top notch mitigation and avoidance... invincibility is godly. An Invul scrapper can take the place of a tank in almost any encounter. Two main drawbacks are complete vulnerability to psionic damage and it's status effect (hold, sleep, stun, disorient) protection roots you.

Mobs that use status effects are the norm, post 30. Scrappers rely heavily on toggle defense powers and getting hit with a status effect knocks toggles off, leaving you pretty much helpless.
The other 3 secondaries offer mobile status protection. Invul does not... excluding Unstoppable (lvl 38 power) which has it's own issues. Being rooted is just too much of a gamekiller for me so I could never play an invul scrap/tank.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

If you go regen scrapper, you might want to think about taking the Leaping Power Pool. The defense buff and immob resist from Combat Jumping are nice, and at 20 you can take Acrobatics, which helps against hold and knockback. Combined with quick recovery you can keep these toggles going almost indefinitely.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Combat Jumping is merely ok... it's just 5% +def. You're not gonna notice it much unless you're only fighting blue/whites. The airborne manouverability is pretty nice though.
On the other hand, acrobatics is completely useless for scrappers.

Practiced Brawler (Reflex), Integration (Regen), Unyielding Stance (Invul) and Obsidian Shield (Dark) all offer complete status effect protection (Knock, Hold, Sleep, Stun, Root, Disorient).

Acrobatics is a great power for every AT except scrapper/tanker.

Eventhough SuperJump is my preferred travel power, you're better off opening up the Fighting pool for defense powers. Tough and Weave are both great. Only problem is that you have to pick one of the gimpy attacks (boxing/kick) to open up the 2 winners.

Combined with quick recovery you can keep these toggles going almost indefinitely.
Quick Recovery is nice, but it's main purpose is to offset the endurance drain from Instant Healing and Integration. I recommend Stamina for every scrapper build.
Don't get me wrong, QR is awesome and gives superior endurance regen than stamina but post 28, when you have your 2 piggy toggles running, you wont be able to drop big (10+) packs of orange/reds without running completely out of endurance after the first 3-4.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I completely forgot the Jesus toggle that regen scrappers get! #-o

Well, you have to take one of the 4 travel powers. Given that, should one go hover/flight for the 1% more defense on hover and the massive utility that comes with it, or CJ/SJ?

(I eliminated teleport because it gives no defense buff at all and super speed because hasten would only make the endurance problem worse)
SAGA
No Stars!

Post by SAGA »

masteen wrote:Don't play a controller unless you can handle sucking for 28 levels. However, once they get the pets, they do kick ass.
Oh I only play controllers.. but then again I might be a wierdo :wink:

But not as wierd as saroki :roll:
Drustwyn
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Drustwyn »

Controllers take a while to blossom.. but at higher levels, I think they are very fun and helpful to groups.

For soloing.. fire/device blasters are tops.. if you get the right build, you can do CRAZY damage... but it gets redundant and boring.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

For soloing.. fire/device blasters are tops.. if you get the right build, you can do CRAZY damage... but it gets redundant and boring.
Scrappers are just as effective soloers as any ***/devices build.
On my dark/reg scrapper I can average about 150-175k an hour soloing.... and it's definately not boring. :wink:
When they fix Smoke Grenade scrappers will be the best soloers, by far.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

They still haven't fixed the stacking issue w/ smoke?
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Pengu is playing a Spines/Regen Scrapper and he is almost immortal!

Good sets if you want to play Scrapper.