Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Harry Potter - Prisoner of Azkaban

Post by Marbus »

Teaser Trailer released today...

http://harrypotter.warnerbros.com/web/d ... er_trailer

As this is my favorite HP book I'm very excited to see how this one comes out on film!

Marb
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Oldman is the perfect choice!
Shashonna
Star Farmer
Star Farmer
XBL Gamertag: Shashonna

Post by Shashonna »

This is also my fave book. Sirius is my fave character and I love that Gary Oldman is playing him I couldnt think of a better choise. WOOT

From what I can see in that trailer....the new Dumbledore isnt too bad, Draco is starting to look like a some boy band reject, but what makes me mad is they just got Hermonie's hair looking good in the 2nd film wth did they do to it in this one
Shashonna Illumenada
Enchanter Extraordinaire!
Owner of the Snake Stick
Cotto
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cotto »

Woohoo! Two of my all-time favourites actors in a new film (Rickman & Oldman).
It could be that the only purpose for your every existence, is to serve as a warning to others.
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

<Bump>

Anyone else excited about this? Sorry I've been real busy the past month or so but I hope to start posting more... reading right now trying to catch up...

POA FRIDAY :) All the reviews I've read say it's the best one yet, and since it's my favorite one of the books anyway I'm pretty stoked :)

Marb
Lor
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Lor »

I've read the entire series and thought the 3rd book was the best, the family is really lookin forward to this movie.
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

Loved the first two movies, going to love this, it's a given.
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

A lot of critics are saying this is by far the best of the 3 movies. Seems the change of direction was a really good thing.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The new director modernized the apparel of the students. I didn't like the preview for this film but the 30 minute HBO look at the movie gives me hope that it will be as good as the other two although quite a bit different in style.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

It was great, I got to see it in SF last sunday on a premeir (press deal my ex got but couldn't attend so I took my son). It was far better then the first 2, light years better. I enjoyed the first 2 but this one has a dark edge... wonderful, simply wonderful.
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Arundel Pajo
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: concreteeye

Post by Arundel Pajo »

Winnow wrote:The new director modernized the apparel of the students. I didn't like the preview for this film but the 30 minute HBO look at the movie gives me hope that it will be as good as the other two although quite a bit different in style.
Alphonso Cuaron is *so* much a better director than Chris Columbus. Columbus did an admirable job on the first movie and a lackluster job on the second (though I still greatly enjoyed seeing it on the screen!). Really, up until HP, his best known movie was "Home Alone 3." That's sad.

I'm honest-to-God excited about Cuaron directing this one. Finally, they got somebody good in the driver's seat.

edit: got my tix for the midnight preview! w00t!
Hawking - 80 Necromancer, AOC Mannannan server, TELoE
Also currently enjoying Left 4 Dead on XBL. :)
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Looking forward to it!
Legenae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Legenae »

I'm really looking forward to this. Now, if I can just convince the fiance to go with me.....
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

No midnight showings here...for whatever reason I can't understand...

but I am prepurchased for the first showing of the morning. w00t w00t
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

The wife and I are looking forward to seeing this.

Am I the only one who thinks the girl who plays Hermione is going to be one seriously hot piece of ass in a few years? I wonder what the over/under on years is before she does her first nude scene.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:The wife and I are looking forward to seeing this.

Am I the only one who thinks the girl who plays Hermione is going to be one seriously hot piece of ass in a few years? I wonder what the over/under on years is before she does her first nude scene.
Some child actors grow up to be goofy looking but she seems to be ok so far.

Odds are she'll lose her career to drugs and then do the nude scene in a movie spoof such as: Hermione does Hogwarts
Shashonna
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Shashonna »

Oh I cant wait. I am re-reading the book again now. Just so I am sure not to forget anything. I hope they have the bogart part in there. I thought be cool to see them all fight it. The Tormentors are gonna be cool. But Sirus and Lupin are just gonna be the best. Cant wait hehe
Shashonna Illumenada
Owner of the Snake Stick
Shashonna
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Shashonna »

bleh
Last edited by Shashonna on June 3, 2004, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shashonna Illumenada
Owner of the Snake Stick
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

lust after little girls much?
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Tenuvil
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tenuvil »

Looking forward to this too as I enjoyed the first two movies greatly.
Arundel Pajo
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: concreteeye

Post by Arundel Pajo »

just saw it - thought it was great.

Thoughts?
Hawking - 80 Necromancer, AOC Mannannan server, TELoE
Also currently enjoying Left 4 Dead on XBL. :)
Crav
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Crav »

Saw it and liked it a lot, you could definitely tell it was a different director. Too bad Cuaron isn't going to be able to do the 4th one.
Last edited by Crav on June 5, 2004, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crav Veladorn
Darkblade of Tunare

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
- Albert Einstein
Brittney
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Brittney »

I got to see a pre screening of the movie about 2 weeks ago, I did a write up of what I thought here.

http://fohguild.org/forums/showthread.p ... adid=11664

Bassicly I loved it heh.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Saw it last night. Oldman and Thelwis(Lupin) seriously rock, I am so glad they were cast in this movie, they are the best addition to these movies. The CGI has improved a lot since the last movie too. Buckbeak looks amazing as well as the Dementors and everything else.

Go see it if you like fun movies.
Runcade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Runcade »

I loved it. I consider my self a purist but it was good enough that I had very few complaints about it. Cutting out the entire quidditch cup and leaving the firebolt till then end bothered me along with some of the interactions between the group. Hermione and Ron are supposed to hate eachother for nearly half the book and it is important to the series but they left nearly all of that out. All in all though it was a great movie.
Legenae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Legenae »

Absolutely loved it!! Even with the differences from the book.
Lor
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Lor »

I thought it was very good....BUT, I wish they would have gone into a little bit more detail about the whole sirius black story..... except for that, it was definatly worth waking up at 7 am on a sunday to go see. :)
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

It was good. I was disappointed in that they rushed through the story too quickly.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Vetiria wrote:It was good. I was disappointed in that they rushed through the story too quickly.
That's what Director's Cut DVDs are for!
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

Saw it, loved it.
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

I agree Veteria. They just raced through things way too much for my liking. There were so many things that you would just not understand unless you had read the book ahead of time. I mean jeez....they never even explained who Mooney and Padfoot etc were!

Cutting down on the time of a movie is just not the way to go....people will still flock to see it if you make it more than 2 hours.....LotR proved it beyond a doubt.
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

saw it tonight, loved it. If you always wanted to see harry with some balls, go see this.
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

people will still flock to see it if you make it more than 2 hours
It was 2hrs 21mins - only a few minutes shorter than the DVD versions of the two previous films and those versions have extra scenes.

I agree it felt a little rushed but given that it's a longer book I don't see how they could really do much better. It' still a great film. I just hope they split book 4 into two films otherwise they're going to really struggle.
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Longer book with more details than the first two SHOULD have equaled a longer movie...more than a couple minutes that is.

My main complaint is the "rushing" thru the plot. I felt anxious while sitting there, like someone was tailgating me in traffic...

I did like it, I liked the updated outfits, I liked how they don't wear their ties properly blah blah blah, the musical score was outstanding, the new grounds layout was very nice.

It did feel like it was missing that "enchantment" the first two films gave me, which I think can be attributed to a different director, or just the darker story line, but I felt the new guy went a little overboard on the "dark and broody" stuff.

That's it, still saw it twice already...so it isnt that bad.
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

Longer book with more details than the first two SHOULD have equaled a longer movie...more than a couple minutes that is
Their main market for films such as this is the under-10s. You and I might happily sit for 3 hours but I doubt your average 8-year old would.
I'm confident the DVD version will fill out a few details.
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I pray for a quality dvd release too...

As for the movie length issue for the younger audience, I concur that it is not for my age group...BUT...the rest of the movies are gonna seriously blow since the books are a lot longer...they will soon have to leave out the entire school itself, not just the classes like this one did.
archeiron
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by archeiron »

Kluden wrote:Longer book with more details than the first two SHOULD have equaled a longer movie...more than a couple minutes that is.

My main complaint is the "rushing" thru the plot. I felt anxious while sitting there, like someone was tailgating me in traffic...

I did like it, I liked the updated outfits, I liked how they don't wear their ties properly blah blah blah, the musical score was outstanding, the new grounds layout was very nice.

It did feel like it was missing that "enchantment" the first two films gave me, which I think can be attributed to a different director, or just the darker story line, but I felt the new guy went a little overboard on the "dark and broody" stuff.

That's it, still saw it twice already...so it isnt that bad.
OFF TOPIC: I was only in school (before university) in the UK for a couple of years, but it is almost mandatory to have your shirt untucked and your tie partly undone. It would really have been a "fantasy" story to imagine schoolboys any way other than disheveled. ;)

ON TOPIC: I suspect that there will be increasing disastifaction with the remainging films. Let me explain why:

The Fellowship of the Ring, for example, was a reasonably long book filled with nuance and detail that could not be adequately covered by a two hour film. This was taken for granted, so the film was not expected to cover every detail - by most reasonable viewers anyway.

However, the Harry Potter Series began with very short books. As a result, the film audience has come to expect each book to be covered thoroughly in the transition from paper to film. As the books grow longer, this will become increasingly difficult, but most viewers of the films will be expecting every last detail: the net result will be increased disatisfaction with the content covered by the film.

At the end of the day, I have loved all three films for what they are, and will probably like all remaining films that are made. I wouldn't even compare the film to the book in any qualitative way because I just get something so different from each. It would be like comparing crab-stuffed filet mignon served with garlic mash-potatoes and asparagus to Rasberry Creme Brulee. (Anyone visiting Key West should try Grand Cafe on Duval, they served the scrumtuous meal from which my analogy was drawn!) The two are just different courses of the same meal.
[65 Storm Warden] Archeiron Leafstalker (Wood Elf) <Sovereign>RETIRED
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

I thought it was great and I really liked how they coverd the last two or three chapters of the book in good detail that was needed, however there are a few minor changes that could have made it much better IMHO... so I'll list them for everyone's enjoyment :)

1. Dumbly should have locked them back in the room at the end, they shouldn't have left that out.
2. There were two or three times, especially at the very end when Lupin gave the map back where it was "odd" because he knew so much about the map but never said anything. Right there they could have added 30 sec. worth of footage for him to tell Harry who Padfoot, et al... was...
3. Should have done the firebolt 1/2 through... would have added a little more suspense...

I did like the look thought and as I said thought it was overall a great movie. I missed the lack of Lucious though... hopefully we will see him return in the next film.

Marb
Legenae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Legenae »

Marbus wrote:
2. There were two or three times, especially at the very end when Lupin gave the map back where it was "odd" because he knew so much about the map but never said anything. Right there they could have added 30 sec. worth of footage for him to tell Harry who Padfoot, et al... was...
Yeah, I was waiting for the movie to explain that but they left it out. I mean, when Harry did his spell, the "light" took the form of the Stag. They could have explained a bit about how his father was a stag.

I also think they could have taken a few minutes to explain Snape's relationship to Harry's dad and the other three friends.

I still loved the movie though!
I did like the look thought and as I said thought it was overall a great movie. I missed the lack of Lucious though... hopefully we will see him return in the next film.

Marb
Yes he is returning, from what I had read. :)
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Loved it!!

Would have liked to see Gary Oldman a bit more, and i agreed the plot was rushed and left a few holes I thought would be essential, but it was stil very very good.
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

It was just like all the others. Not better, not worse, just...the same. I thought it was good, but failed to see why so many people would rate this better than the others.

I give it a 7 out of 10.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:It was just like all the others. Not better, not worse, just...the same. I thought it was good, but failed to see why so many people would rate this better than the others.

I give it a 7 out of 10.
I give your review a 2 out of 10! :twisted:
Narmgarf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Narmgarf »

I agree with Fair...it was a good movie, but I really didn't find it better than the others. The new Dumbledor wasn't as good as the old one, but you can hardly blame them for that.

I think I remembered the book too well to really enjoy this movie...there were some ommisions that really stuck out in my head...not that they were really major plot points, but they were enough to annoy me.

And I didnt' have a pizza when we went to this movie. That's probably the real reason I didn't enjoy it as much.

Narmgarf
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Winnow wrote:

Some child actors grow up to be goofy looking but she seems to be ok so far.

Odds are she'll lose her career to drugs and then do the nude scene in a movie spoof such as: Hermione does Hogwarts
Can't wait for that! Hermione is definitely a hottie-in-training.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I can see where this movie would confuse those who haven't read the book. I was waiting for Lupin to explain the names on the map as well and the relationship of the Stag. The thing I was really wanting though is for Harry to whip out his permission slip for Hogsmead for Sirrius to sign. I guess it was just too much to create into film and it is hard to get all the information in.
Runcade
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Runcade »

i agree with you about the map but the hogsmeade slip is sent to harry after sirius escapes. its part of the end that they left out in the movie.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Finally saw this movie. It seems a step below the other two so far. I fell asleep with about 15 minutes left in the movie so I'll be watching that tonight.

I didn't like the opening to the movie. Harry beating up on his mean family didn't set the right tone for the rest of the movie.

Having not read the books, the movie seems a bit thrown together and it's hard to understand what's going on with some of the non essential parts of the movie.

Hogwarts doesn't seem as fun a place anymore. It's a great kids story but as everyone gets older and they have to make seeing the same moving staircases and wandering ghosts still seem interesting, it starts to lose a bit of its luster.

Rating the three Harry Potter movies so far:

1. Great
2. Very Good
3. Eh, watchable entertainment.

The magic is starting to fade!
Taly
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Taly »

Could have done a lot more with it. Was still good for missing information from the books but still in a way disapointing. Feel bad for those who didn't read the books. Ya missed out of some info you kinda need to fill in the gaps =(

I have heard they are doing the next book in the same amount of time (just over 2 hours), this should be interesting. They really should either make it 3 hours or split it into 2 parts for the bigger books. but that is my opinion.
I want to cast...........MAGIC MISSLE!