Ronald Reagan on the $10 bill

What do you think about the world?

Should Reagan replace Alexander Hamilton on the $10 bill?

Yes
24%
No
76%

Total votes: 78

Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Ronald Reagan on the $10 bill

Post by Voronwë »

Are you for or against?

The Reagan Legacy Project wants to move Reagan's image to the $10 bill and claims to have substantial support in Congress. This according to Grover Norquist, the project's chief executive/director (whatever his title is).

http://www.reaganlegacy.org/
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm for it. Go Reagan!

$10.00 is kind of cheesy though. The $20.00 or $5.00 is where it's at.

edit: that article mentioned putting Reagan on dimes though not $10.00 I think.

edit 2: that site is lame as well. In general, I don't care if we change the faces on our currency often.
Last edited by Winnow on June 8, 2004, 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Forthe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Brutus709

Post by Forthe »

The Reagan Legacy Project seems outlandish to me. With a public aim to have some monument named after Reagan in every state. Shit like this is no better than Saddam putting statues and potraits of himself everywhere.

Real heroes aren't manufactured.
All posts are personal opinion.
My opinion may == || != my guild's.
"All spelling mistakes were not on purpose as I dont know shit ." - Torrkir
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Forthe wrote:The Reagan Legacy Project seems outlandish to me. With a public aim to have some monument named after Reagan in every state. Shit like this is no better than Saddam putting statues and potraits of himself everywhere.

Real heroes aren't manufactured.
Changing the faces on our currency yearly shouldn't be a big deal as long as the remainder of the bill remained stable. It's not a big deal IMO and a temporary thing like our state themed quarters.
Last edited by Winnow on June 8, 2004, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

No, though I can't say I really give a shit what face is on my money. Put a fucking duck or moose there for all I care.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

Winnow, the site is lame i agree.

I just saw the guy Grover Norquist interviewed on CNN's Inside Politics, and he claimed on there that they had the support for the $10. i was surprised to not see much about it on their site.
Fredonia Coldheart
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fredonia Coldheart »

VERY LAME!

This is the same lame ass trying to get Reagan's face up on Mt. Rushmore and to also replace FDR on the dime.

FDR was chosen for the dime to help support the March of Dimes. I think it is rather rude of someone to want to replace him.

Mt. Rushmore is a work of art - not some hall of fame. Not to mention the fact that experts have said adding a face would put the others in peril.

I just cannot get over the audacity of some people!
Fredonia Coldheart
Guff Of Souls - Officer
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Well, we knew it was only a matter of time before something like this happened. Anyone else find the hordes of radical righties slobbering over Reagan's corpse all over the country (and his corpse is getting superior security than many airports) uncomfortably similar to the soviet state funerals for Stalin? And all this for a man who started his political career by selling out his fellow actors to McCarthy.....
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Raistin
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Raistin »

Some of you might think Im talking shit here. But as a direct descendant of Alexander Hamilton, even the thought of this pisses me off. Alexander did 900% more for this country, than ol Ronnie.

How can they even think that taking one of the main people that helped start this country, off his " bill" and replace him with a fuckwad of a actor. What a pile of crap.
Fredonia Coldheart
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fredonia Coldheart »

Raistin wrote:Some of you might think Im talking shit here. But as a direct descendant of Alexander Hamilton, even the thought of this pisses me off. Alexander did 900% more for this country, than ol Ronnie.

How can they even think that taking one of the main people that helped start this country, off his " bill" and replace him with a fuckwad of a actor. What a pile of crap.
Aye! A lot of the founding fathers wanted Hamilton as first president. Unfortunately, we wasn't born here or it may very well have happened.
Fredonia Coldheart
Guff Of Souls - Officer
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Remember though, that it is not the 10 dollar bill they want changed, it's the dime. Which means they replace FDR not Hamilton, but still Reagan is nothing compared to FDR either.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Holy shit... when the fuck will people get on with and realize that Ronnie's dead, they can't bring him back (for those that would want to), and that the world hasn't stopped because of it, although any US news feed we get suggests otherwise. To most of us outside the US, he wasn't even the biggest news of the fucking weekend (this lil thing that happened 60 years ago Sunday made him kinda pale in significance).

All this fuss is getting carried away. Voro, bitchslap and wake some people up at CNN. He was a man, maybe in some people's eyes a great man, but he wasn't the center of the fucking universe. Hell, he wasn't even a Monkee let alone a Beetle!

Mourn him if you wish.

Respect him as you will.

But get the fuck on with it. The world still turns, and in time, if he is worthy, some one will think of a suitable tribute for him, if one is needed.
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Geee another Ronnie bashing thread just what we need.
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

Thats pure bullshit, there was actually talk about the 20 as well as the 10 and the dime. Every one of those men, hamilton, jackson, fdr were 10x the men that regan were, if they really wanted to put any new president, or other american figures face on a peice of american currency, it should either be temporary (like our quarters) or put on a new peice of currency, like a 3 or 25 doller bill or some other bullshit. Someones honor should not be replaced in place of the times.
-xzionis human mage on mannoroth
-zeltharath tauren shaman on wildhammer
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Saying that Reagan shouldnt replace FDR or Hamilton is bashing Reagan? I don't care if its Reagan or Clinton, I don't think you should replace people who have already earned their place on coin.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xzion wrote:Thats pure bullshit, there was actually talk about the 20 as well as the 10 and the dime.
wow! I'd settle for just one of those! Ronnie everywhere! :twisted:

Why not put Reagans face on official IRS tax forms as well?

Jeeze, I have to help out the Reagan bashers!
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

Keverian FireCry wrote:Saying that Reagan shouldnt replace FDR or Hamilton is bashing Reagan? I don't care if its Reagan or Clinton, I don't think you should replace people who have already earned their place on coin.
Exactly

now, i will continue my long crusade, started in the "3rd party" thread, to ban the electoral college 8)
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

Keverian FireCry wrote:Remember though, that it is not the 10 dollar bill they want changed, it's the dime. Which means they replace FDR not Hamilton, but still Reagan is nothing compared to FDR either.
actually they do want to put him on the $10 bill.

The guy said it on an interview on CNN this afternoon at about 4:15pm Eastern. He said he has support from Republican leadership in the House.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Another idea tossed around is putting him on the Quater. GW already has the one dollar bill, he can relinquish the Quarter.

I, of course, picked yes. It is unfortunate not more people can rid of their closemindedness and see what a great president he was.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Im sure your thinking he is a great president has nothing at all to do with your own closemindedness... :roll:
Karae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Karae »

Closemindedness? Lol, it's my openmindedness that lets me see his faults.

We should just paste his face all over like Lenin in the Soviet Union.

But, seriously, if it happens in twenty years after we've had a chance to analyze his presidency and decide he's deserving then do something like this. Now's not the time to make the decision, either way.
War pickles men in a brine of disgust and dread.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Personally, I would say not to even consider something like this until you get more time to consider things. Aka, there should be a minimum time period before you do a drastic change like this.
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:Another idea tossed around is putting him on the Quater. GW already has the one dollar bill, he can relinquish the Quarter.

I, of course, picked yes. It is unfortunate not more people can rid of their closemindedness and see what a great president he was.
heh, how can you call someone close minded for opposing the man who gave a rebirth to the puritain conservative movement, which is built apon close-minded and regressive ideals?
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yes you three are so right. /sigh
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Karae wrote:But, seriously, if it happens in twenty years after we've had a chance to analyze his presidency and decide he's deserving then do something like this. Now's not the time to make the decision, either way.
Interesting opinion. You do realize that it has been 16 years since his presidency ended? So another 4 years is going to add some revelation that you had never seen before?

Reagan was a very good statesman. He handled foreign policy better than any president in the last 50 years. I don't think he was the greatest econmist we have had in office.....but name a president in that same 50 years who was.

I would not want to see him replace FDR on the dime or Hamilton on the $10. I would rather see him on the quarter or even possibly replace Jackson on the $20.
Etasi
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Etasi »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Interesting opinion. You do realize that it has been 16 years since his presidency ended? So another 4 years is going to add some revelation that you had never seen before?
Correct me if I'm wrong (can't seem to find the info anywhere) but I don't think people can be put on currency unless they're dead. If this is the case, then it's irrelevant how long ago his presidency took place, as he couldn't be seriously considered for placement on currency until this past week.

In any case, I don't see why we need to rush to immortalize Reagan. If he was a great president, as many on this board have argued, then his legacy will stand the test of time, and eventually people will come to realize that perhaps he should have a place on our currency. But to decide now does a disservice to his memory because such a decision will serve to divide public opinion, probably a great deal. Causing controversy isn't an honorable way to remember someone's life. Why not just remember him now by discussing his legacy, as is being done in so many places, and wait on the immortalization until it's truly necessary? Those who think he was a great man aren't going to forget simply because they don't see him on their money every day.
Etasi Answer - Cestus Dei
Cut the kids in half
Jassun
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Jassun »

Kelshara wrote:Personally, I would say not to even consider something like this until you get more time to consider things. Aka, there should be a minimum time period before you do a drastic change like this.
http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/storie ... TE=DEFAULT
Still in the works is the idea of a monument to Reagan on the National Mall in Washington, deterred by a law - signed by Reagan - that bars new monuments until a person has been dead 25 years.
Not sure if that applies to currency, though.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

I've got a better idea. How about we wait 4 weeks, which is approximately the amount of time it will take the U-S-of-ADD to forget about Reagan entirely, and let this whole movement vanish like a fart?

Okay, that's a little cruel...
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Karae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Karae »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote: Interesting opinion. You do realize that it has been 16 years since his presidency ended? So another 4 years is going to add some revelation that you had never seen before?
20 years from now. If I'd meant 20 years after his Presidency, I'd have said so.
War pickles men in a brine of disgust and dread.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:
Karae wrote:But, seriously, if it happens in twenty years after we've had a chance to analyze his presidency and decide he's deserving then do something like this. Now's not the time to make the decision, either way.
Interesting opinion. You do realize that it has been 16 years since his presidency ended? So another 4 years is going to add some revelation that you had never seen before?
It takes his openmindedness awhile to kick in. So far he can see the faults. Realizing the positives will take another 20 years to kick in along with maturity.

Reagan's been mentally dead due to his ailments for around 14 years. His death is a technicality in terms of deciding his legacy.
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

I think our currency should be saved for our truly great presidents... none of which have held office for the past 50 years. Did the other guys do things just as bad or as stupid? Yea probably so but we don't have a good record of that :) All the presidents since Nixon have had an open book from the media... for every good thing it's easy to find a big screw up. I do think Reagan was a good president, just not worthy of bill status.

Marb
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Winnow wrote:
Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:
It takes his openmindedness awhile to kick in. So far he can see the faults. Realizing the positives will take another 20 years to kick in along with maturity.

Reagan's been mentally dead due to his ailments for around 14 years. His death is a technicality in terms of deciding his legacy.
I don't think it's unfair to ask for more than 16 years to evaulate just how well a (US) president has done his job.

I realize my opinion here doesn't really count since I'm an evil furriner and all, but in my view, great thinkers*, be they politicians or sports coaches, plan for a future beyond the length of their contract.

To accurately gauge the impact Reagan had on the US and the world will take more than 16 years. Preferably, you'd wait until a lot of the sealed documents of his presidency were released to make that call.

Personally, I remember bomb drills and fallout shelters being built in the early 80s. I remember Reagan as the face of 'The Good Guy' along with Maggie Thatcher. Those were two pretty fucking scary people to an 8 year old - always made me think 'man, if the russians are worse than them it's going to be pretty damn bad'.

I can't speak about Reagan's influence on internal US policy, but his effect on what Europe looks like now can't be disregarded. All for the good? No, far from it. Arming present-day enemies to the teeth, destabilizing entire regions as if it was a game of RISK...and bulldozing 'allies' into compliance. And many of his initiatives we're just starting to see the fallout from now.

*) note: I am not saying that Reagan was or wasn't a great thinker, I'm saying that to accurately judge how well he performed we need perspective, a perspective we don't rightly have yet.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:
Personally, I remember bomb drills and fallout shelters being built in the early 80s. I remember Reagan as the face of 'The Good Guy' along with Maggie Thatcher. Those were two pretty fucking scary people to an 8 year old - always made me think 'man, if the russians are worse than them it's going to be pretty damn bad'.
lol : )

While I agree as time goes by, more can be gleaned about Reagans impact, this thread is debating putting a face on a coin or paper currency. Kennedy was on our half dollar coin the year after he died. If Reagans legacy dies, so too will his coin or bill.

Edit: I don't care either way but I wouldn't have a problem with it if it happened.
vn_Tanc
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by vn_Tanc »

Just do a fucking commemorative postal stamp and have done with it.
THat way the cockgobblers can "pay respect" and everyone else can just spit on him :)
A man with a fork
In a world of soup
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Seriously, stick him on some useless ass coin, like that dollar coin or whatever it is. Then no one will care. The fact they propose to replace exceptional people with someone who was good, but not great...well...its laughable.
murr
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by murr »

JFK was also assassinated in office, whereas Reagan died after his term.

Honestly I don't care that much but if you're going to replace anyone, Jackson seems the way to go. A lot of what he didn't doesn't exactly thrill me, either.
Murr - Fires of Heaven - Black Dragonflight
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

Pretty sure they are not wanting to replace the dime or the $10 totally. Just put Regans picture on half of the ones produced for that year. I think it's a pretty decent idea. Though I think Kennedy should get minted way before Regan.
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

*pinky finger to lips*
Fesuni Chopsui
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fesuni Chopsui »

Sticking Reagan on dildos across the world would be a much better idea than this bullshit
Quietly Retired From EQ In Greater Faydark
Taly
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Taly »

Fesuni having eq withdrawls??? you become quite cranky :?
:wink:

Anyway its just a frickin piece of paper or a metal coin. Some of you guys make it seem like the end of the world by saying its a drastic change. A small change that most of your won't even notice :? .How many of you actually look at the dam things other then for the number? Give him the quarter when they are done with the states on them.
I want to cast...........MAGIC MISSLE!
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Anyway its just a frickin piece of paper or a metal coin. Some of you guys make it seem like the end of the world by saying its a drastic change.
If it's just a frickin piece of paper why bother doing it? Costs quite a bit of money you know!

As I said previously, history should judge presidents and not the generations living with him.
Fesuni Chopsui
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fesuni Chopsui »

Taly wrote:Fesuni having eq withdrawls??? you become quite cranky :?
:wink:

Anyway its just a frickin piece of paper or a metal coin. Some of you guys make it seem like the end of the world by saying its a drastic change. A small change that most of your won't even notice :? .How many of you actually look at the dam things other then for the number? Give him the quarter when they are done with the states on them.
Yes, because replacing the first president in this country's history with Reagan would be such a great idea on the quarter....as for the 10 dollar bill, yet again, replacing Hamilton with Reagan would be a retarded idea..

And no I'm not having EQ withdrawls :wink:
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

Sell the Picture To corporations we have the IBM $100 ,The Microsoft $50,Allstate $20
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

even though i'm not a big Reagan-ite (*collective gasp*) he's probably more fit to be on our currency than Andrew Jackson who led genocidal military campaigns into Northern Florida before becoming president.

But i think it would be better to give it more time before putting him on currency.
Fesuni Chopsui
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fesuni Chopsui »

Are you sure you want to change the 20 yet again? :)

If Congress wants to vote on it and if they do so and pass it, then so be it...it's not as if I'm going to stop using a bill that has Reagan on it, I'll just be reminded who idiotic some of the members of our government are everytime I look at it :wink:
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

All of our presidents were probably cocksuckers. Ben Franklin deserves his C-Note. We need more non presidents on bills...maybe sports figures.
Burke
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Burke »

We need more non presidents on bills.
Salmon P. Chase was on the $10,000 bill.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

American money should just have ads on it, Coke, Viagra, Penthouse, whatever. Would fit well with the capitalist nation we have.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Keverian FireCry wrote:American money should just have ads on it, Coke, Viagra, Penthouse, whatever. Would fit well with the capitalist nation we have.
Or we can stick with honoring our Presidents. Which in their leader have helped take our country to where it is today. So many of you people are damned unappreciative.