They Came , They Saw, They Fucked Up...)

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Ninan
Gets Around
Gets Around

They Came , They Saw, They Fucked Up...)

Post by Ninan »

Hi all,

Good to see all of the normal faces again on the boards. My first post and just wanted to salute Xou and all the others contributing to our new home. EQ Vault can kiss my ass, great job mods.

Anywho let the flames begin.... :lol:

Ninan Nivasse
60th High Priest Celestial Tomb
KilornCloudwalker
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by KilornCloudwalker »

Welcome Ninan!

JACKASS!
Make yourself at home...
Kilorn Cloudwalker
62 Oracle - Retired
Lilianna Starbreeze
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Lilianna Starbreeze »

Jack that ass

erm Jackass!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lilianna Starbreeze
60 High Priestess of a Mad God
Leader of Champions of Hope
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Jackass!
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Taly
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Taly »

Welcome!
Jackass!
Venti
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Venti »

/JACKASS
~Venti
Karae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Karae »

I think the gutting of VN is the best thing that ever happened to us. PHPBB is superior in every way.
War pickles men in a brine of disgust and dread.
Maly
No Stars!

Post by Maly »

yea php > asp
linux > m$
Revs
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Revs »

Lol, Linux > MS?
Get out of here and take your fucking penguin with you! :wink:
KilornCloudwalker
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Penguins taste like chicken I hear...
Kilorn Cloudwalker
62 Oracle - Retired
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

i'd say linux does 90% of things as good or better than MS

it does 50% of things 100% better than MS

took MS about 20 years to figure out how the fuck to do some basic things like manage memory, etc. not sure if they've got that down honestly, but xp seems to be a nice OS.
Searyx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Searyx »

MS is built to be as user friendly as possible. Last I heard, Linux is not.
Searyx Fairyslayer
Lvl 50 Fury (Lvl 50 Provisioner)
Officer of Vae Victis on the Crushbone Server
Jivundus
No Stars!

I can't believe my eyes....

Post by Jivundus »

It's been about a week since I read the VN boards so of course I was shocked to see what was going on over there...

But not half as shocked and proud as I was to see all of you guys work together and totally shove their board up their fucking asses! :twisted:

This board completely rocks...
Jivundus Kulggen
Lvl 60 Cleric of Innoruuk
<a href="http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=27180"> Gear Profile </a>
"... Fairness is an illusion that we do not provide here..." - NLS
Laliana
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Laliana »

Thanks jackass! :D
Warlock of Ixtlan ~ Whisperwind
TheMachine
THE Moderator

Post by TheMachine »

and a double jackass to boot
This is my house, remember my rules, first rule is I never lose.

In my house, you're just a guest, you might be good but I'm the best.
Laliana
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Laliana »

BTW...I don't recall ever getting jackassed or a chainmail thong when I first started posting on that "other" board. I feel cheated somehow. =/
Warlock of Ixtlan ~ Whisperwind
TheMachine
THE Moderator

Post by TheMachine »

Oh shit, I need to hand out many chainmail thongs

Btw then Laliana

Jackass
This is my house, remember my rules, first rule is I never lose.

In my house, you're just a guest, you might be good but I'm the best.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

Searyx wrote:MS is built to be as user friendly as possible. Last I heard, Linux is not.

linux is built #1 to accomplish tasks

like things like server web pages, server email, work the internet.

stuff like that.

it actually isnt hard to use, and if you bother to spend some effort, is organized in a manner that makes more sense than MS to me.

I really like the concept of log files for just about anything you want.

People who can't use RedHat Linux 7.4 are probably too stupid to be using computers.
Ninan
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Ninan »

Windows was created so stupid people could learn to use a computer, Lol. It's very interesting to look at different systems and what they can really do. Windows was supposed to be for the general public to be able to do various tasks without a computer degree.

Unix by far is the most powerful system out there for the more complicated applications in todays busines world.

Graphic wise Mac's are hands down the number one system used in the world especially in the printing industry an industry I have 20 years experience in.

Back to windows, I see the XP so far as the best platform MS has created to date. I use XP on several machines now.

Ninan
bre_rawr
No Stars!

Post by bre_rawr »

Same here.

We use Linux more then MS at work (infrastructure etc).

MS makes a decent client, *nix rules the server side.

Hewlett Packard (which has the largest Intranet in the world) is primarily Unix. For a good reason :)
Maly
No Stars!

Post by Maly »

I have xp on 2 machines here, and they are finnicky at best.

I have 98 on another, and it is stable, but useless, as its just my eq#2 box.

Linux doesn't crash, doesn't need to reboot, and my uptime would be in the 100s of days if it weren't for the fucking power flickering every once and a while thanks to fucktard asshats in the Ontario gov't deciding to deregulate the hydro industry. THANKS FOR THE 10x HIGHER HYDRO PRICES.

Fucking harvard mba rejects who rely on econ101 to navigate a provincial budget and run the hydro.

Ok, so that was a rant. Point is linux is better in my opinion. What it does, it does better than windows. What it doesn't do is run many games because winblowz cornered that market 20 years ago and closed-source games make money, luring away all but the die-hard coders.

Open source > closed source
Searyx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Searyx »

Linux is better... but it doesn't run games.

Did I hear you correctly?
Searyx Fairyslayer
Maly
No Stars!

Post by Maly »

You must not have. It will run games, just no one codes games for linux because they are generally only coded for windows because most gamers are newbs and thus use windows.

There are games for linux but just no where near as many.
bre_rawr
No Stars!

Post by bre_rawr »

Searyx wrote:Linux is better... but it doesn't run games.

Did I hear you correctly?
Over the last 5 years the Windows Emulator for Linux has improved dramatically. I used to play starCraft under Linux back int he day. The list of games that work now is getting impressive.

Did you know that all Quake games are coded under linux? Same with Unreal Tournament.

People are starting to port over to Linux, it's just a matter of time :)
Maly
No Stars!

Post by Maly »

What Bre says is true.

Sad thing is wine still won't run eq yet.
Marielle Windrunner
No Stars!

Post by Marielle Windrunner »

I think if you grew up in a DOS environment as those of us did who had computers in the 80's, you find it much easier to use Linux. Our home network is a Linux server with some XP boxes and one devoted to Linux. I'm no programmer, nor am I particularily savvy when it comes to computers, but even I can get on the Linux box and work.
Marielle Windrunner
Freespirit of Kelethin

Tili McTaggart
Tassle Twirling Barb Shaman
Searyx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Searyx »

I started off with a PC Junior, and worked my way up through the years. I still prefer XP though. Very stable and user friendly OS.
Searyx Fairyslayer
KilornCloudwalker
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Besides, Mari...throw X-windows on linux and its just like a poor man's XP anyway... anyone can use Linux in a windowed shell...

I am not a big fan of Linux myself..too damn much work, but I respect those that do like it. I'm a Gates Fanboy... gimme my Micro$oft shit...I worked too long breaking and fixing it... so it works good for me
Kilorn Cloudwalker
62 Oracle - Retired
Shinale
No Stars!

Post by Shinale »

damn I didn't get a jackass either :cry: but thanks TheMachine for my thong :twisted:
Maly
No Stars!

Post by Maly »

if you call XP stable I'd hate to see what you call any linux distro (I prefer red hat myself).

My rh box uses a p2 450 with 128 mb ram and I can run more shit than my 98 can with a greater hardware config (p3 500 256) by a factor of 2.

Gates can lick my ball sack. M$ is a filthy greed corporation that won't even give away free software to public schools. I'd have to look it up, but I'm referring to some back-page news story about M$ and a part of the settlement package with DoJ donating comps and M$ site licences that are free for a year then they gotta pay (through the nose I might add)... Someone from the linux side of the universe (the Sun dude?) offered to split the deal with M$ and gives them absolutely free no-strings-attached linux distros but M$ rejected the offer. Why? cause the site licence packages lasted a year or something, then if the school wanted to keep using those OSes (and therefore those computers) then they'd have to pay M$.

Fucking gay.
Schion
No Stars!

Post by Schion »

I realy hope we can keep profanity out of this board ;)
Schion Firebones
Sorcerer of Valhall
Veeshan Server
KilornCloudwalker
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Well Maly,

I don't agree with all their practices.. but then again using an OS hacked by half the geek community isn't my cup of tea either... Linux has its place as a game server and for running MUDs/MUSHs (which is all the use I have for it) but at least MS stuff is so standard its easy to tweak and fix IMHO... /shrug I've tried setting up Linux a few times and it was more trouble than it was worth to me:)
Kilorn Cloudwalker
62 Oracle - Retired
Maly
No Stars!

Post by Maly »

Well, my opinion is that its better if its hacked by the geek community -- open source -- and you at least know wtf it is doing.

M$ with all their fuckin security patches that do shit like the most recent patch for MS Media Player, shit you can't even find out because the source is closed. (More info: http://slashdot.org/articles/02/06/29/1 ... ml?tid=109) You wouldn't trust a guy in a mask, why would you trust M$?
KilornCloudwalker
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Because I am admittedly NOT a coder or programmer..I wouldn't understand any of it anyway. Spoonfeed me something that plays Everquest, D2, and NWN..and lets me get my pr0n...call it anything ya want..I am not real picky on what rat runs the lil wheel inside:)
Kilorn Cloudwalker
62 Oracle - Retired
Maly
No Stars!

Post by Maly »

Heh, what if you want to play a cracked NWN and next month they install some software that actively disables cracked/pirated software? Or if they install software that takes info from your HD and dumps it to advertising sites? "Hmm, this guy has Diablo 2, NWN, EQ, and pr0n listings on his IE history, lets put this in a DB and sell the DB to advertising companies."

I don't trust things I can't take apart.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

cliche, but it is true

Post by Voronwë »

it is like buying a car that has the hood welded shut.
Ninan
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Ninan »

Just curious here, but my very first computer and computer game I played with any seriousness was a radioshack special. Anyone remember the good ol TRS 80? Thought it was gold wrapped in gold back then Lol. Anyone ever play a game on AoL a PBEM game called Rebel Space?

Yes I am old.....(

Ninan
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Damn. I remember those days. I started with a Vic 20 that had a tape dataset. I was learning to code basic off of magazine articles. I was prolly the only kid in my school that had a subscription to Compute magazine. Not that did me any good today because I am a horrible coder now.

I thought I was cool because I had a C-64 with 2, yes count them, 2 disk drives. That meant copying games without swapping disks. How many of you still have a disk notcher?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I started with a Texas Insturments computer my dad won by winning 2nd place in a game-concept idea for the Atari 2600. All I remeber is that his concept was based on the M*A*S*H sitcom. Ayway, the TI was his prize and I remeber it being black and silver. Our first "real" computer purchase was a Tandy 1000, but my brother had one or 2 before than. Audio cassette back-ups were the norm back in the day. I wrote a simple program that had a white rectngle tha moved up and down. I thought I was the shit.

The Linux security issues will come if/wehn it really starts to get market share. I hate all the security issues with MS, but I do not point the finger directly at them. You're a fool if you don't think Uncle Sam has OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS to do with it.

XP Pro runs perfectly for me. No hang-ups or blue screens. Hardware installation/configuration is cake. I am very impressed. All other MS products are user friendly and integrated, which I like. Other MS OS systems were severly lacking and had bugs up the wa-zoo. Hopefully XP is the dawn of a new era where all the buggy shit will never appear in future OS by MS or anyone else for that matter.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Trash-80s were the shit back in the day (1981)! I had a long history with those bad boys. Learned Basic on one of the REALLY old jobs, ya know, the ones with the monochrome screens integraded into one monstrously unweildy case?
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: neost
Wii Friend Code: neost

Post by Neost »

Heheheh...did the trash80 thing myself for awhile.

My real geek days started with a 4.77 mhz XT. I was the shit because I had a full 640k on that bad boy and a 20 meg hard card that I picked up at a Tandy junk outlet in Fort Worth, Tx.

We used to pour over that Tandy outlet for all we were worth. I picked up a Vec20 to upgrade that bad boy. Jumped my speed to a blazing 13mhz! I'd turn it on to browse the boards with my amazingly quick 300 baud modem and then go do a load of dishes while i waited for it to boot. Would start spinrite on the HD around midnight or so and then wait for it to finish sometime between 9 and 10 the next morning.

Had a monochrome monitor with a hercules card. Ran a little prog to emulate CGA so I could play a couple of California Dreams games.