Elk Hunting info?

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Sunserae wrote:i love it when they televise hunting, and they show two stereotypical redneck yahoos hunting turkeys with a goddamn cannon. then, after like 20 minutes of pointing his gun at an unmoving turkey and yapping to his friend about how much they think it weighs, he finally pulls the trigger and the thing flies about 100 yards because the bullet he used was half the size of the bird. then there's another 10 minutes of OH MY GOD WHAT A BEAUTIFUL SHOT CAN I TOUCH YOUR ASS THAT SHOT WAS SO AMAZING and more discussion over how much it weighs.
hahahahah. that's so true.

it's such a manly "sport" though!
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

kyoukan wrote:
Sunserae wrote:i love it when they televise hunting, and they show two stereotypical redneck yahoos hunting turkeys with a goddamn cannon. then, after like 20 minutes of pointing his gun at an unmoving turkey and yapping to his friend about how much they think it weighs, he finally pulls the trigger and the thing flies about 100 yards because the bullet he used was half the size of the bird. then there's another 10 minutes of OH MY GOD WHAT A BEAUTIFUL SHOT CAN I TOUCH YOUR ASS THAT SHOT WAS SO AMAZING and more discussion over how much it weighs.
hahahahah. that's so true.

it's such a manly "sport" though!
Same goes with deer hunting. They show these same two stereotypical alpha male assholes, talking about "Look how beautiful that buck is!" and go on and on about what makes it so beautiful...then they blow the thing away with a high-powered rifle. All the while, these morons have fucking idea how stupid they sound, and how what they are doing makes no fucking sense whatsover.
"The only good thing about Hunting is the many accidents that happen on the weekends" -George Carlin
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

The same goes for fishing shows. Hell, lets be honest ANY outdoor show.
Fuck Michigan!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Ah hell, I just look too sexy in camo to not hunt!

As far as the hunting shows, although I think the people/dialogue on the shows are pretty lame, often I get good information--for the lack of real entertainment value... :D
en kærlighed småkager
Drasta
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drasta »

just get one of those gun things that pump out 1000 bullets a minute or whatever ... was posted like 3 months ago =-P thats all ya need for hunting !
Laliana
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Laliana »

Big Sigs Suck! ^^

Can't believe a simple request for information turned into this.....oh yeah, forgot where I was for a minute! :wink:

Never had elk, but Venison stew rules, so does peppered jerky. :D
Warlock of Ixtlan ~ Whisperwind
Atokal
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Atokal »

kyoukan wrote:
Fallanthas wrote:Bitch, when you can carve your own bow, fletch your own arrows and use them to feed yourself you can speak.
okay. give me five minutes to learn because that sounds really brainlessly easy.

you're hilarious because you have all these small minded, pathetically trivial "accomplishments" in your sorry, sad little life and you expect people to be impressed by. not everyone on this forum is from Dryhump Montana or whatever god awful fucking armpit you live in, and gasps in wonder every time they see an automobile or a disposable lighter. yes I'm really fucking awed that you can whittle a stick and put a string on it. I think I did that in girl guide summer camp when I was 11. It wasn't even worth giving out a badge over. its a sad look at your life when you brag about such banal fucking nonsense.

carve my own bow give me a fucking break.

but keep PMS'ing about it because I cracking up.

contributed to more studies for the preservation of BOTH wildlife and habitat than you waste on Pepcid in a year.
WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?
What have you accomplished?
What have you done that sets you so far above someone else who has actually experienced life outside the sewer you no doubt live in?

All of your learning and experience is merely book smarts. Experience is something you will never understand. These people live what you merely read about. They are involved in conservation and environmental issues
while you sit in your chair at home waiting for your next victim on a messageboard.
Atokal
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.
Niccolo Machiavelli
Terarle
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Terarle »

Canelek, quick question.

This your first attempt at elk, and other such big game?.. If so i'd suggest the 30-06. It was a great gun for me to learn shooting on, And it will deliver a killing blow, those ones you see in video's where they drop hind quarters, then the head falls.

If you've done more type of big game, i'd say go with the BAR .338 Mag.

But on the other hand it truely is amazing to hear elk in the morning.
Retired
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Hear them do what? Scream?
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

The only thing worse than the hunting and fishing shows is NASCAR. I have great disdain for the hilbilly portion of society.

To discount hunting as just stupid and cruel is quite ironic. People seem to think that there have been grocery stores for the last 2000 years or something. People had to hunt game to eat until the last 100 or so years. Some people just prefer to have the option to eat a much more lean meat than pen raised fatty animals. It is a hell of a lot healthier to eat venison.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote: I have great disdain for the hilbilly portion of society.
Racist!

You'd better edit that to say "hillbilly-Americans" or the large group of them that populate this board are going to come at you full-force, swinging their moonshine jugs.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:The only thing worse than the hunting and fishing shows is NASCAR. I have great disdain for the hilbilly portion of society.

To discount hunting as just stupid and cruel is quite ironic. People seem to think that there have been grocery stores for the last 2000 years or something. People had to hunt game to eat until the last 100 or so years. Some people just prefer to have the option to eat a much more lean meat than pen raised fatty animals. It is a hell of a lot healthier to eat venison.
Oh man, you haven't lived life until you actually ATTEND a NASCAR race! It's utterly hilarious, yet puke-inducing at the same time. I watched the people, not the race.
Once you actually see a crowd of fuckwads of this size, you begin to realize that these people represent a HUGE cross-section of American culture. Then you will realize why so many other cultures hate americans.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I do like 30-06, but I will go with the .300 or .338 for more stopping power. Gonna have enough work hauling 700lb of carcass without having to track the bastard for a mile if my shot is a little off...

Not so sure on the BAR though. Although Browning is great, I will most likely want something synthetic as to better handle harsh weather. Remington and Winchester have great models chambered in just about everything...

No NASCAR in this thread dammit!!
en kærlighed småkager
Klydon
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Klydon »

Just a couple points from the cheap seats.

You have time on the gun, so I would wait until you got some more info. What you propose (synthetic vs wood furnature) is the way to go I think. Any ranges where you might get a chance for a test fire of either weapon? Not telling you anything you don't know about taking the one that feels the best.

What you might also check into is to see if there are some outdoor shows in your area and go visit them and have a list of questions you want to ask. What gun is a good one, but also where to hunt and perhaps an organized trip would be worth your while the first time out to get the lay of the land, etc.

Something to also check into are rules around black power rifles. They often have extended seasons over regular rifle (much like bow season) and while you get the one shot, I would suggest something getting hit by a 55 caliber ball is not likely to be going anyplace in a great hurry.

Bambi is the big one in the midwest. My cousin is setting up a deer camp where hunters come in and he has guides to take them out to deer stands. My dad used to be a guide for my grandfather for duck hunting and a good guide can stop a lot of stupid city folks from doing stupid things, like shooting each other or cows. The hunters going to something like this have a much higher probability of getting something and also having a good safe trip until they learn the area.
Klydon
Storm Warden of the 1st Season
Keepers of the Elements
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Klydon wrote:My dad used to be a guide for my grandfather for duck hunting and a good guide can stop a lot of stupid city folks from doing stupid things, like shooting each other or cows.
Yeah, it's the city folks w/ the problem, not the fat, drunk, mental midget hicks that shoot at anything that moves :roll:
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Sitting in ambush is fucking boring. It's much more fun walking the game trails.

That moment when you come out into a clearing, see that choice 8 point buck, and have to get your gun up and on target before he sees you and bolts is fucking electric.

I never understood the guys who would squat behind a blind covered in deer piss with a huge salt lick 20 yards downwind. They do have a much higher kill rate, but where's the fun?
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: neost
Wii Friend Code: neost

Post by Neost »

Yeah, it's the city folks w/ the problem, not the fat, drunk, mental midget hicks that shoot at anything that moves
Once again there are two stereotypes here that just really aren't true.

One is the ignorant urbanite who can't tie his own shoelaces handling a weapon stumbling through the woods shooting at anything that makes a noise.

The other is the rural redneck who doesn't have enough common sense to understand alcohol and firearms just don't mix.

You guys are arguing from stereotypes that may be true in the smallest percentage of hunters as an overall group. You want it to sound as if every hunter in the USA is a beer swilling redneck out to shoot someones cadillac/cows/pets/what-the-fuck-ever to give credence to your views.

That's just not the case. The majority of hunters are responsible individuals that enjoy hunting just like some people enjoy biking or computer games or any other sport/hobby you can name.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

I don't know about you, but I don't wear deer piss while playing EQ

Not to mention, when I enjoy a nice bike ride, I don't get home and take a sledgehammer to it when I'm done.

I don't give a flying fuck about hunting btw. I just find it amusing that someone can say how beautiful something is moments before dropping it dead... from 400 yards away... w/out any chance of reprecussion unless the kickback pops your shoulder or something.
Last edited by Chidoro on September 9, 2003, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neost »

And that has absolutely what to do with your continued criticism of hunting as the purview of beer swilling rednecks?

You may not wear deer piss while playing EQ but how many times have you played a marathon session without benefit of bathing? You probably smelled worse than deer piss on those occasions.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Neost wrote:And that has absolutely what to do with your continued criticism of hunting as the purview of beer swilling rednecks?

You may not wear deer piss while playing EQ but how many times have you played a marathon session without benefit of bathing? You probably smelled worse than deer piss on those occasions.
Never, and if you knew anything about my playing you would know I'm not bullshitting about that either.

So you can stick that in your barrel and fire it
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neost »

I could give two shits for your play style.

You make blanket statements that include me in a stereotype. But when it comes down to it you now want to change directions because you can't continue to defend your position.

What other stereotypes do you believe in? Jews as penny pinching tightwads who have a secret cabal that rules the economic world? Mexicans as lazy, thieving illegal immigrants taking jobs from upstanding citizens?

See how silly that sounds? Your assertions that hunters are all drunken fools out shooting up the woods pretending to be Daniel Boone or Billy the Kid are just as silly.

You apparently don't like being lumped into a sterotype either, such as the bleary eyed power gamer who spends so many hours at the pc that the moldy pizza crusts and empty soda cans completely cover the room.

If you don't like hunting, it's very simple. Stay the fuck out of the woods during hunting season. Go to a nice, sanitized state park where hunting isn't allowed if you want to enjoy the great outdoors. But don't assume that everyone that enjoys hunting is like the sterotype you put forth in your post.
Tenuvil
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tenuvil »

As a mountain biker, I learned a long time ago to stay the heck away from any wooded areas from September to December, whether or not they were "wilderness" or parks with no hunting allowed.

One beautiful Saturday morning in October, me and my buddies were riding in a large park in central Connecticut when we heard echoes of gunfire. We rode facing away from the sound because of fear of meeting up with poachers in the park. Well, we reached the crest of a hill about an hour later -- still inside the park -- and saw three guys in blaze orange camo totin rifles. Claimed they had no idea they crossed into the park. They also said that a white helmet on a mountain biker descending a trail looks an awful lot like the white tail on a deer... :P
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

You brought playstyle into it. You don't give a fuck? Don't post it then. You did? Then you give a fuck. Since you were utterly incorrect in your guess, pour some ketchup on that big toe while you scarf it down.

Yeah, you're doing a great job diffusing the myth of the stupid, uncaring, beer swilling, bow-down-to-beauty-that-is-deer-while-gutting-it hunter . I must have been crazy, I now think you're a normal, well adjusted individual. My bad :lol:
If you don't like hunting, it's very simple. Stay the fuck out of the woods during hunting season. Go to a nice, sanitized state park where hunting isn't allowed if you want to enjoy the great outdoors.
How about you idiots follow the big neon green and orange signs posted on every-single-tree in areas you don't belong. Yeah, they are sharp ones those hunters. Thanks for the re-direct, totally out of line :lol:

Now if you'll excuse me, I must go and drop my piano out of a 10 story window because I love to play it so
Neost
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neost »

You really come out of left field, y'know that?

Your arguments lack substance and you apparently have a comprehension problem. Let me explain it for you.

I'm poking at the sterotype that you brought up. I did it by bringing up other sterotypes that are ridiculous. You didn't like being lumped into a sterotypical power gamer apparently and I would have thought that got the point across.

It seems that I can be wrong occasionally.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Neost wrote:It seems that I can be wrong occasionally.
You are correct. You don't think you're a mental midget yet, strikingly, you are
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Chidoro wrote:Now if you'll excuse me, I must go and drop my piano out of a 10 story window because I love to play it so
hahahahah
Kylere
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kylere »

Men who love women love hunting season, because when the hunters go to the woods, their wives and girlfriends go to the bars.

Men who love hunting, eh, well, to each his own, but they should have joined the military instead of shooting at pansy unarmed animals.
She Dreams in Digital
\"Led Zeppelin taught an entire generation of young men how to make love, if they just listen\"- Michael Reed(2005)
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Klydon said "Black Power Rifles".

:D
en kærlighed småkager
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Clearly a racist.
Adex_Xeda
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Adex_Xeda »

Most of the guys in my family like to hunt deer.

Bow hunting is challenging because you have to sneak up much closer to the very alert deer to get a shot off.

The deer meat is a bonus after you get the rush from the hunt.

Hunting is well regulated and money spent getting a license as well as local park fees go a long way towards maintaining healthy wildlife populations.

Some ranchers and farmers get through bad crop seasons by leasing their land out to hunters.

It's a win-win situation.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

yeah its a real rush wasting some animal that isn't even aware of you with high powered weapons.
Cartalas
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Cartalas »

kyoukan wrote:yeah its a real rush wasting some animal that isn't even aware of you with high powered weapons.

What else are they going to do Thumb Wrestle them?
Last edited by Cartalas on September 9, 2003, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

kyoukan wrote:yeah its a real rush wasting some animal that isn't even aware of you with high powered weapons.
Just see if you think that when they(animals) rise up and eat you.
en kærlighed småkager
Vezot
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Vezot »

He hit the nail right on the head. For fuck's sake, if youre going to kill an animal atleast do it the old fashoned way - with a big club.
I got laid less when i used a Pentium. I talk about my AMD and how it has 8 data channels instead of 6 and why AMD's QuantiSpeed Architecture easily out-performs Intel's Hyperthreading technology. Suffice to say that it gets the chicks all hot and flustered...
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Neost, you were doing well until you said "stay the fuck out of our woods." I will go into the woods that I or my friends own, with the big posted signs all around. You will stay the fuck out and not set foot on posted land, not even to track a shot animal.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Good fucking Pete, yall are really fucking my Elk thread up with political nonsense.

Keep to the subject or start your own thread. Here, let me help you with the title:

"Hunting is Not Right"

There you go. All you have to do is click on the button and fill in the blanks.
en kærlighed småkager
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Canelek wrote:"Hunting is Not Right"
I agree with you totally. If you want, I can recommend a few really nice professional quality cameras you can use to take pictures of the animals you see out in the wild isntead of shooting them.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

kyoukan wrote:
I agree with you totally. If you want, I can recommend a few really nice professional quality cameras you can use to take pictures of the animals you see out in the wild isntead of shooting them.
You are too damn cute, give me some sugar, baby.
en kærlighed småkager
Terarle
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Terarle »

Only one way to not track them down Cane, hit em with the money shot.

First elk season I ever went on I had a 30-06.. I some how managed to miss the first shot, the rush was way to much at the time. So I had to calm down, and managed to stop him dead in his tracks. Hit him right infront of shoulder blades and it droped like a ton of bricks, the shot was about 300 some odd yards. But it was truely neat to see it drop the way it did. Ass first, then the rest of him went down.

It's funny to see people bitch about how they think it's easy to kill an elk, but if they needed to hunt to live, i'm pretty sure they'd wouldn't be able to produce.

Givin there are some hicks that are way to involved with drinking and "oh gee earl, lets put this female dear, and maybe it'll hit it... while yo be at it, put some greens on it. It's should be a tofer!!" Those type of hunters are just pure silly and should be beaten.

Edit- Spelling errors
Retired
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

kyoukan wrote:

This is retarded. First of all, cameras will not help control the population of animals like deer that have gone way out of control. There are no natural predators to keep the populations at where they should be in nature. Currently in Ohio, we have areas where there are 200-300 deer per square mile. The proper number for the deer to live healthy naural lives is 20-25 per square mile. That means there are diseases and food shortages that are going to kill off some of them in painfull and disgusting ways. The rest are going to run onto the highways ot be hit and killed by cars, thus causing major damage and repair bills. Any way you go, those animals are going to die.

Hunters are only taking the place of the natural predators that no longer have a place in the urbanized areas. In Hamilton County last year, they had to HIRE professional animal agents to come in and kill between 500 and 1000 deer because of the problems they were causing. You all just live in your happy dream world where everything in nature lives in some orgasmic harmony. The rest of us will stay here in reality where we know that sometimes poor bambi needs to end up as dinner somewhere since he is a natural part of the food chain.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Vezot wrote:He hit the nail right on the head. For fuck's sake, if youre going to kill an animal atleast do it the old fashoned way - with a big club.
Technically, the old fashioned way to hunt is to get a group of 5-10 guys together with spears, chuck them at the animal, and then run it to death. But you keep getting your historical perspective from the Flintstones.
Kyoukan, you have very clearly never actually hunted. While stupid, deer, elk, ect. have very acute senses, and unless you're using artifical bait (urine, musk, or salt licks) they're hard to suprise.
kyoukan wrote:If you want, I can recommend a few really nice professional quality cameras you can use to take pictures of the animals you see out in the wild isntead of shooting them.
You cannot turn a photo into delicious BambiBurgers.
Vezot
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Vezot »

Or just try it rambo style with a 249 PARA and kill as many deer as you can with 200 bullets. You get repsect for that.
I got laid less when i used a Pentium. I talk about my AMD and how it has 8 data channels instead of 6 and why AMD's QuantiSpeed Architecture easily out-performs Intel's Hyperthreading technology. Suffice to say that it gets the chicks all hot and flustered...
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

wtf are you and why are you posting so much nonsense on the boards today?
Vezot
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Vezot »

Thats all i know how to do: get flamed.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Obviously.

Now get out of my thread, toddler! And really, to develop such liberal anti-hunting views at the tender age of 13 or so is fucking tragic.
en kærlighed småkager
Klydon
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Klydon »

Bleh.. power = powder

Typos > me

Missouri and Illinois have the same issues as Ohio does in deer over population. Lot of damage is done to vehicles and people are injured/killed because of accidents involving deer. Crop damage is in there as well.
Klydon
Storm Warden of the 1st Season
Keepers of the Elements
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

racist
Fuck Michigan!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Powder?? dammit man, I thought you were talking about a rifle with a Black Panther logo on it... :D

As far as deer overpopulation, it can certainly get nasty in some states...especially when they get near highways.
en kærlighed småkager