EverQuest II

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

EverQuest 2?

It sux
33%
It r0xx0rz
28%
Get the fuck outta here Vezot
39%

Total votes: 54

Vezot
Gets Around
Gets Around

EverQuest II

Post by Vezot »

Hi all....haven't posted here in lets see *counts on his fingers* a long time..

Anyway, i've been folowing EverQuest2 on eqii.com and it looks promising. Was checking over here to see what kind of feedback you guys would give it.

And yes, please, flame away. It only makes me happier to see you think of all the vulgar names your mind can conjure for me. :wink:
I got laid less when i used a Pentium. I talk about my AMD and how it has 8 data channels instead of 6 and why AMD's QuantiSpeed Architecture easily out-performs Intel's Hyperthreading technology. Suffice to say that it gets the chicks all hot and flustered...
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

JACKASS!!
Legenae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Legenae »

I have absolutely no interest in playing this game. No way I would buy a "new game" with the same old world. I know they are adding new features, but I can get those features in other games with new, different worlds.
Acies
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Acies »

I haven't played it to give it any review in the above context, but chances are I wont play it, strictly due to the fact that I worked too fucking hard on my rogue in original EQ.
Bujinkan is teh win!
Ennia
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ennia »

is that the one with item decay? haha

no thanks
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Ha ha!

How about... No.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Skogen
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Skogen »

It's going to be a showdown between EQII and WoW. I some how see EQII loosing by OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS. :D
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

I hate Item Decay
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I personally don't see a large amount of the EQ player base moving over to EQ2 unless they implement some sort of character transfer. Not necessarily uber items and all that... But something that doesn't equate to people starting from scratch again.

However, for the new player, I think EQ2 may end up being the more attractive choice.

Either way I wont be playing it.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I have absolutely no interest in playing this game. No way I would buy a "new game" with the same old world. I know they are adding new features, but I can get those features in other games with new, different worlds.
I couldn't have said it better myself. I will not be playing another "Everquest" MMORPG.
Xzion
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xzion »

no more online mmorpgs!
but if i end up not ebaying xzion and they have a char transfer il prolly be tempted to check it out
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm switching to EQ2 when Aslanna does.

I'm thinking the Blind Followers of Blizzard (BAFOONS for short) will pump up WoW for awhile. SOE will see that Item Decay is the gayest thing since Fesuni was born and remove it and also at the same time offer character transfers from EQ to EQ2.

My advice is to perhaps wait a little after EQ2 is released to make SOE sweat...have them remove the lame aspects of the game, tweak it a little, and give the people what they want which is to keep the characters they worked 4 years to create in EQ and just want a better graphics engine to play them in with an improvement here or there.

The holdup will be SOE's greed in wanting EQ members to shell out more money for the all access pass. Greed will lose out to WoW kicking them in the ass. So take a break, play WoW for a month or two, then it's off to EQ2 with SOE losing a nice chunk of their subscribers due to not paying me the big bucks to tell them what's going to happen in advance. :!:
Pilsburry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pilsburry »

Last I checked the reason for no transfers was because of thier character progression.....it's not that similar to EQ's....

Item Decay is bullshit.

I might still give it a try though....just one account this time.

Why? Well I uit EQ, I no longer have an account, I'm not going to start over in the same old world. Even if I was OK with starting over...I'd end up trying to play catch-up to what few friends I have left on veeshan and abandon my real life again, that's not going to happen.

WoW is due out WAY later then EQ2. Probably measured in YEARS...as far as I know there is no release date set, and Blizzard is known to be VERY late even after they set that release date..like say Diablo II. And Diablo II was only a slight re-make of Diablo...this is an entirely different genre.

In otherwords, I don't think EQ2 has to fear WoW too much in the near future...it's due out in a couple months, I think WoW will be out in 2 years.
-retired-
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

From a gamers stand point (talking old school P&P) I truly like Item Decay.

In EQ I can see two sides to the issue.

On one side you would see a lot more activity replacing items, repairing items, and creating items (assuming trade skills are worth anything). This keeps the economy moving and takes money out of the game.

On the other side it is a pain in the ass to have to haul around double weapons and gear incase something breaks. Not to mention spending a large amount of time dealing with the upkeep of your items.

Like I said though, I like the idea. I like it for it's realism. But I don't see it actually working in a game like EQ.
Vezot
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Vezot »

A few things people dont understand about EQ2.

All the zones have drastically changed. the world is 500 years after EQ1. Right after the 'cataclysm'

Item decay DOSENT apply to no drop items, and item decay is meant so items wont clog up the economy. Decay can be repaired in 1 second by a tradesman.

Guild housing, player housing, boats, dynamic quest system, class tree (select a base class at level 6, your archetype class at level 15 and your final class at level 30.) And many more features.

Its like EQ1, but its not like EQ1. Item decay will be a very small issue in the high end game. Even in the low end game it will just be something to keep the ecnomoy unclogged. NO DROP items dont decay as i said, and even a high level droppable item would take probbly a year to decay.

Great new graphics engine. Too bad nobody will have the computer to run it.

Just check it out at eqii.com
I got laid less when i used a Pentium. I talk about my AMD and how it has 8 data channels instead of 6 and why AMD's QuantiSpeed Architecture easily out-performs Intel's Hyperthreading technology. Suffice to say that it gets the chicks all hot and flustered...
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

!drop items is something I disagree with wholeheartedly. I know it may be a needed game mechanic but it takes away from the realism or RP factor. I really can't explain it in decent terms here but I know in my gut that it is a bad thing and I don't like it.
Legenae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Legenae »

Vezot wrote:A few things people dont understand about EQ2.

All the zones have drastically changed. the world is 500 years after EQ1. Right after the 'cataclysm'

Item decay DOSENT apply to no drop items, and item decay is meant so items wont clog up the economy. Decay can be repaired in 1 second by a tradesman.

Guild housing, player housing, boats, dynamic quest system, class tree (select a base class at level 6, your archetype class at level 15 and your final class at level 30.) And many more features.

Its like EQ1, but its not like EQ1. Item decay will be a very small issue in the high end game. Even in the low end game it will just be something to keep the ecnomoy unclogged. NO DROP items dont decay as i said, and even a high level droppable item would take probbly a year to decay.

Great new graphics engine. Too bad nobody will have the computer to run it.

Just check it out at eqii.com
The zones may have changed a bit, and they may add new zones, but you are STILL running around in Norrath. I kind of see EQ2 as just another expansion (same world, just some changes and a few new zones), only you are starting from scratch. If I want to continue to run around Norrath, I'll re-activate my character in EQ1. If I'm going to start a new game from scratch, it's going to be in a whole new world/game.

The new features you've mentioned will be available in other games.

Yes, EQ2 will be released before WoW, but it probably won't be finished... just like all the other games/expansions SoE puts out. Besides, WoW beta starts in a few months. I can wait until then.

One more reason I won't be playing EQ2... it's from SoE. :P
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

The only thing I'm interested in EQ2 for is the lore. I'm guessing by the way PoT lore has unfolded that I will be very disappointed.
Pilsburry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pilsburry »

In the PS2 version (Atleast in the beta period) they had decay on items also....I guess it wasn't so bad, but it did make it hard to equip myself at low levels.

On the PS2 version you could pay to get it repaired by the same people who sold the items....but in EQ2 that might be different because the PS2 version had no trade skills (atleast as I said..In BETA).

I don't really see EQ2 as a continuation of EQ1....EQ2 will have a new race of ratmen think, the dungeons might have the same name but probably different layout, definately way different graphics.

I mean sure there is still a "befallen"...but the only similarity it will have is that it is an undead dungeon and it has the same name....do you think WOW won't have an undead dungeon? All RPG's have them.

The class system is totally different. The models and world is all redone with better graphics...

Hell....did you see the PS2 version? It was all one continent, kaladim and rivervale and halas were all together like pretty close etc...kaladim was in a snowy region instead of in the grassy hillsnear the mountains....it was still underground though. I think PS2 version took place BEFORE the PC version...

I think they are fairly flexible on the way the world is put together between PC and PS2 that I think EQ2 will be just as different...actually more so.

I mean yeah, you will still probably have mostly the same races and classes and cities and dungoens....but it will still be very different.

I mean shit I only got my cleric in the PS2 version to 17 before it got wiped and then to 14 again...but as far as I could tell, everything was heal over time spells. And I didn't med...I had to drink stuff. Every class had gate, it just took 2 minutes to cast...

That's very different correct?

I expect EQ2 to have as many similarities with EQ1 as EQ-PS2 as it has new features. I think they will take the best of everything they have learned through thier experience, and they do have a shit load more experience in creating on-line games than any other company out there.

Sure UO has been out longer, but look at the number of patches, expansions, is it on PS2? No..look at the player base...EQ killed UO. It wasn't "luck"....if it was "luck" or because something was "new"...AC, AO, DAOC they would all have killed EQ.

I'm not saying Verant can't do better, I know they could...hell I could help them do better, but you know what? If I worked there instead of one of the guys that already works there, we would just have different problems...noone is perfect......they are the best we got....and I don't see any real challenges in the next 2 years.
-retired-
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

A few things people dont understand about EQ2.
It's not that I don't understand.. I just don't care. I will never buy another SOE product again. Regardless of it's name.

--
Legenae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Legenae »

Pilsburry wrote:In the PS2 version (Atleast in the beta period) they had decay on items also....I guess it wasn't so bad, but it did make it hard to equip myself at low levels.

On the PS2 version you could pay to get it repaired by the same people who sold the items....but in EQ2 that might be different because the PS2 version had no trade skills (atleast as I said..In BETA).

I don't really see EQ2 as a continuation of EQ1....EQ2 will have a new race of ratmen think, the dungeons might have the same name but probably different layout, definately way different graphics.

I mean sure there is still a "befallen"...but the only similarity it will have is that it is an undead dungeon and it has the same name....do you think WOW won't have an undead dungeon? All RPG's have them.

The class system is totally different. The models and world is all redone with better graphics...

Hell....did you see the PS2 version? It was all one continent, kaladim and rivervale and halas were all together like pretty close etc...kaladim was in a snowy region instead of in the grassy hillsnear the mountains....it was still underground though. I think PS2 version took place BEFORE the PC version...

I think they are fairly flexible on the way the world is put together between PC and PS2 that I think EQ2 will be just as different...actually more so.

I mean yeah, you will still probably have mostly the same races and classes and cities and dungoens....but it will still be very different.

I mean shit I only got my cleric in the PS2 version to 17 before it got wiped and then to 14 again...but as far as I could tell, everything was heal over time spells. And I didn't med...I had to drink stuff. Every class had gate, it just took 2 minutes to cast...

That's very different correct?

I expect EQ2 to have as many similarities with EQ1 as EQ-PS2 as it has new features. I think they will take the best of everything they have learned through thier experience, and they do have a shit load more experience in creating on-line games than any other company out there.

Sure UO has been out longer, but look at the number of patches, expansions, is it on PS2? No..look at the player base...EQ killed UO. It wasn't "luck"....if it was "luck" or because something was "new"...AC, AO, DAOC they would all have killed EQ.

I'm not saying Verant can't do better, I know they could...hell I could help them do better, but you know what? If I worked there instead of one of the guys that already works there, we would just have different problems...noone is perfect......they are the best we got....and I don't see any real challenges in the next 2 years.
Reread what I said in my previous post, Pils. I didn't say EQ2 was going to be the same as EQ1. I said it will have new features that will be available in OTHER games. Also, this game is from SoE, and I'm not buying any more SoE games.
Moongrinn
No Stars!

Post by Moongrinn »

My opinions on this,
WoW will finnally be the first MMORPG to crush EQ,
A few months later EQII will come out and everyone who is tired of the rabid Fanboism, and stfu fag remarks will switch to EQII, WoW might have a nice 6month reign, but EQII is run by the big boys. Sure EQI is crap now, but keep in mind the devs are not the original devs, they are working with codes they never designed, and fixing the mistakes of verant, all the while collecting millions of dollars to endorse EQII, and create the game in their vision.
Pilsburry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pilsburry »

WOW is coming out way after EQ2 Moongrinn, not before

Either people will still be in EQ1. Or they will be in EQ2. Either way I assume some people will be bored with EQ1 and EQ2 and WOW will see some people join it. But I think most people will come back to EQ2.

EQ2 is due out in Q4 2003...that means pretty much in like 4-5 months. Verant almost always meets thier release deadlines (even if they end up with a few bugs)

WOW has not even set a release date. So how many months until they announce a release date? And then how much notice will they give us? 6 months or more? And then how late will they be on delivery (Blizzard is known for being late on actual delivery)? Maybe another 6 months or more?
-retired-
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

I've worked hard on EQ for the last 4 years.. I've hit all of my goals aside from one or two. EQ2 is the logical progression for me, and I won't bat an eye about buying it.
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.
Mort
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Mort »

Im getting it for sure, I fell behind on flagging/lvling about 5 months(started remodeling house) ago and have pretty much given up on finding a guild willing to help me get there. (I sure as fuck would not want to do it twice/multiple time). So, looks like Planetside/EQ2/WoW for me.
Morteus - 60 NE War - Cenarius
Warlord of <Driven>

"I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct....."
Hayley
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Hayley »

I have every intention to try it out when it's released and it'll probably be the last game I'll buy for a good while.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

WoW has one thing going for them: DORFS WITH GUNS!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:WoW has one thing going for them: DORFS WITH GUNS!
Fuckin' ay, bubba.
Cotto
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Cotto »

Pilsburry wrote:WOW has not even set a release date. So how many months until they announce a release date? And then how much notice will they give us? 6 months or more? And then how late will they be on delivery (Blizzard is known for being late on actual delivery)? Maybe another 6 months or more?
G/f works in GAME, they have WoW due to come out in October of this year. Took me by surprise, considering Beta only starts in August/September. So either they have basically no bugs, the game will be out then. I reckon tho it wont be out til around Spring/Summer of 2004.
It could be that the only purpose for your every existence, is to serve as a warning to others.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

If I was 29 and single again, I'd give it a go. 33 and married, ehh, I think I'll stay w/ the original. The pricing package plan is attractive though so I may give it a taste, but nothing terribly serious

WoW won't crush shit. Brizzard vets won't like the monthly charge and they will have to cannabalize the current market as a result. That's never equalled any kind of resounding success for the newcomers
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I have zero interest in eq2

I'll probably follow and even give WoW a try though.
Pilsburry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pilsburry »

Cotto, I got the fact there is no release date for WoW from several sources, including the WoW official web site FAQ.

Not to say your lying, just if your source is correct (and they hit that date) and WoW hits the shelves in October........I'll.....well normally the going rate for proving me wrong is a drink. But your in Ireland...so I'll just give you all my VV's in the bank.

But, you have to send me a picture of you standing near the display flicking me off. Just kidding, You will have to remind me though.
-retired-