Rift

Where is your god now?!
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Rift

Post by Marbus »

Anyone considering playing Rift? Been playing the beta which ended today and I'm thinking about picking it up. Didn't know if anyone else was thinking of playing.

Thoughts?

Marb
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Re: Rift

Post by miir »

I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I preordered so I am in the Headstart that starts this Thursday the 24th. I had a lot of fun during the beta and it can only get better for me after release. For 6 months at least. We'll see how things go before I re-sub. I have faith though.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I'm skipping it. Too many other good games nowadays. I was in the beta too, but didn't find enough about it that screamed "must own" to me. Wasn't bad, just more of the same to me.
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Bubba they posted the file tonight to get the DL going before Thursday as well as a server list on their facebook page. Not sure which we are going to play on yet but it will probably be PvE to start.

Been playing EQ2 almost since release (wow for the first 6 months), just looking for something different I guess. Wasn't too impressed with the new EQ2 expansion, more of the same and I like the mini-RAIDs with Rift. As I have 4 sons now, tons of time is something I don't have. The oldest 2 will be playing with me as well. They both have high level characters in EQ2 and have RAIDED before, the second though not as much but he will learn. I wanted something we can get on and play for an hour and log out. Can't really do that at level 90 in EQ2 and do much of anything...

Still waiting to check out Old Republic though...
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I haven't seen a server list yet. I am more concerned with timezone of the server than the name actually. A few of us are going to be on a pvprp server to start out. We'll gauge the gank factor and if it is overwhelming we may switch. It would have to be a really bad situation though. Pvp because it adds to the fear level and also the action. RP because you tend to get a better quality of people than your typical kiddie trade chat crowd. At least I am hoping so.

I started my download this morning. I didn't get the email last night. It will be ready for me when I get home. A nice 26-27 GB file will take a bit to bring down. I'm investing in 6 months which kicks in after the 30 free days. I hope it keeps me thrilled.

I'll update you on how things are going.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I think I'll wait till I get positive, glowing, OMFGLOLLERSHIT feedback from you folks before buying another dud (cough, Aion, cough).

It will also depend much upon how fuckered up EQ2 got with this xpac. Tried to log on last night and my DX9 drivers shit a brick along with a host of other connectivity issues. One would hope they figured that shit out after all these years...
en kærlighed småkager
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I think an admin should move this thread into the game forum.

Here is the server list. I'll be playing on Sunrest. Sorry that the formatting didn't come through.

US Servers

Belmont PvE
Briarcliff PvP
Byriel PvE
Deepstrike PvP
Faeblight RP
Gnarlwood PvE
Greybriar PvE
Keenblade PvE
Lotham PvP
Reclaimer PvP
Seastone PvP
Shadefallen RP
Shatterbone PvE
Snarebrush PvP
Spitescar PvP
Sunrest PVP-RP
Wolfsbane PvE

Europe Servers

Akala DE RP
Brutwacht DE PvE
Trübkopf DE PvP
Argent EN RP
Blightweald EN PvE
Cloudborne EN PvP
Firesand EN PVP-RP
Icewatch EN PvE
Steampike EN PvE
Whitefall EN PvP
Brisesol FR PvE
Rubicon FR PvP
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Yea I was looking for a PVE-RP but not sure there is one...
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

I'm on the RP-server as Furor Wenusberg
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Marbus wrote:Yea I was looking for a PVE-RP but not sure there is one...
they are listed as RP
Faeblight RP
Shadefallen RP
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Cestus Dei (yes, that one) is playing on the Shadefallen server, on the side that is NOT Guardians. I can't remember the name of the faction at the moment. >_>
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Horde...
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Defiant actually.

They added more servers. I'll be switching to the Harrow server.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

1 Million Trion Accounts!
RIFT™ HEAD START KICKS-OFF TODAY AS TRION ECLIPSES
ONE MILLION REGISTERED ACCOUNTS

Names of Rift public servers revealed on the game’s official forums

Trion Worlds announced today that more than one million accounts have been created to date, signaling a high level of interest for the company’s first massively multiplayer online game, Rift™, which is scheduled to launch March 1st in North America, March 3rd in pan-European countries, and March 4th in the UK. The news hits just as the game’s Head Start period begins, giving pre-order customers advance playtime before servers officially open on launch day.

Launching with 33 Head Start servers, Rift will feature dedicated realms for PvP, PvE, and role-playing players. Servers are live today, coinciding with the game’s Head Start period, which lasts until the game launches next week. Find the official server list on Rift’s official forums at: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...48#post1198848
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Trion can thank Winnow for a few of those accounts! :D

Winnows review made me interested, joined beta, told all the friends to try it.

And now we are playing on Argent Server! :D
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I hit level 10 on my warrior last night. I had no trouble logging in and didn't have a queue. I did see a large number of servers that were full though. They kept announcing new servers as they were added last night in globals. I think the only reason I hit 10 last night was because I had already done all the quests up through level 18 so I didn't have to ponder where I needed to go to complete them. I did take my time in the newbie zone so I could pick up the artifact books for my collections. I believe there are 14 of them but I only managed to find 13.
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

I am playing this (casually) with my brothers. What final servers did people pick?
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I'm on Harrow PVP-RP server on the Guardian side.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

A bunch of LOTIL people are playing Guardian side on Gnarlwood.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Had my first taste of world pvp on Saturday. At a quest hub there was a fire invasion happening. When I ran up to turn in a quest I saw the invasion mobs fighting with the npcs and then I saw that there were some Defiant in the mix. I jumped in and attacked what must have been their healer because he was not dying. He called out for help and his buddies came over and killed me. The GY was only about 20' away so I respawned and kill their Bard and the other rogue type. Not totally by myself, there were others there helping out. It was a lot of fun.
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

Thinking about picking this up.

I read Winnow's thread, and ahve a decent idea of the UI, character creation, etc. - however I am curious about the actual gameplay. I'm mostly concerned with PVE - is it fairly challenging? How 'grindy' is it? Is there much group-based content? If so, what size group? Do the classes have reasonably intuitive / interesting abilities, and are they fairly balanced / unique? I plan on playing with another person, so how is that going to play out in terms of "solo" content?

Presumably most people aren't anywhere close to max level yet, so just looking for initial impressions.
Going out to play pool now with my fellow klan members. Have a nice night. - Midnyte
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I have played mostly solo so far. My main is a level 17 warrior with Paragon as the main and Champion as secondary. My alt (crafting reasons) is a level 15 Cleric with Purifier, Sentinal, and Warden.

Solo play works fine if bit sticky if you pull too many mobs. If you are working with someone else you won't have any problems. I haven't done the first instance yet. From what I can tell though, everything is fairly smooth. The animations and the different attacks are very cool.

There really are no cookie cutter builds yet. Sooooo many options and combinations to work with.
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

I had read somewhere (awhile ago, so this may be completely incorrect) that every "class" could technically fill any "role" - i.e. that mages would have a tanking, damage dealing, and healing capability, as would rogues, clerics, and warriors.

Is that true?
Going out to play pool now with my fellow klan members. Have a nice night. - Midnyte
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Not totally sure which build does what. I know that the Rogue has the Bard that heals and last night I grouped with a Mage who's build allowed him to heal. I know that the Cleric has the Justicar who tanks because his healing comes from doing and taking damage.

There are the 4 Callings, Warrior, Cleric, Rogue, and Mage. Each of those has 8 Souls that you can mix and match within each Calling. It's all about finding something you like. I also found that Warriors = Plate, Clerics = Chain, and I believe that Rogues = Leather and Mages = Cloth as far as armor goes. I am not sure if Rogues can do chain or not but I'm thinking not.

Today is opening day for the rest of the world. I'm not expecting to be able to play tonight.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

miir wrote:A bunch of LOTIL people are playing Guardian side on Gnarlwood.
I'm always a game behind. just started getting on an EQ2 roll (still a trial member in the League but the chat is cool).

This is the last quarter I'll be playing wow for awhile to save on sub fees, have to resist the urge to pick rift up. Beta was interesting but is it really any different/better than what's out there?
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

It's like a less cartoony WoW with more polished systems.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I really don't see what the big deal is about the game.
I'm playing it and enjoying it but I'm really not sure why... I'd rather be playing EQ2.

There's not really anything bad I can say about it.
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

Oh, another question - how 'intense' are the graphics? Obviously they're good, but can they be turned down to a fairly reasonable level?

I have a pretty nice gaming rig, but my girlfriend would be playing on her shitty dell laptop if we did pick it up, and I'm not entirely sure how well it would run.

I don't know the exact specs of her system, although I guess I could find out when she gets home. She can run games like Borderlands / anything on the Source engine / CoD / WoW, but tends to not be able to play anything more graphically intensive than that (her system shit itself when we tried Crysis). Her laptop blows more than Midnyte's mom on rodeo night at the local Waffle House.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

The system allows for you to turn the settings down pretty far. I was in a crowded area with my settings at the max and I dropped to 8-12 fps. I had to adjust to medium to get back to 30 fps. I have a nvidia 9800 card in my machine. Now, I have read on their boards about people having no problem playing on their laptops but I can't tell you how good their machines are. The only way to really know is to give it a try I think.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

It ran smooth on my 5 year old PC (vid card upgraded about 6 months ago nVidia 250 IIRC), and while I did have to crank some settings down, it still ran pretty smooth during the stress test.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Marbus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Marbus »

Fluffy Bunnies, bunch of old Veeshan people (Me, Leelee, Ricard, Nucky and others are coming), are on the Defiant side on Shadefallen. I have seen CD but didn't know if it was the same, I'll have to msg some of them to see who all is there. My 2 mains are Marbus (13 Mage Pyro/Storm/Ele) and Dalisa who is a 19 Rouge (Ranger, Riftblade, Bard).

Some of thing things I like about EQ2 aren't there yet... but they weren't there when EQ2 started either. The rifts I have found to be really fun at time and freally frustraiting when I'm trying to finish a quest at time.

I'm guessing it will take a few months to get things nailed down, for now it's pretty fun!

Marb
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Oh jesus Leelee.
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

Looks like we're gonna pick this up. Guess we'll roll Defiant Shadefallen. How many actual CD folks are over there?
Neroon
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Neroon »

I'm playing with RL friends on Greybriar (sp?) Guardian side. I made a Defiant cleric named Neroon on Shadefallen, too since some CD are playing there.
Zygar_ Cthulhukin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Zygar_ Cthulhukin »

Dregor Thule wrote:Oh jesus Leelee.
Yeah, lost my best friend in the world to that bitch
{{{(>.<)}}} (o.o) \\(^o^)// --- I DID IT!!!! -Hiro
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Zygar_ Cthulhukin wrote:
Yeah, lost my best friend in the world to that bitch
Dude. She stole your dog? That's heartless.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

She is the one who broke the news to me that Grimdari was really a dude.

And yes, it is the same Cestus Dei. I'm playing (Aedari/Llanwynna/Xouqoa) and Apostate is running around, too. There are several others, but a lot of the people tagged CD are in CD on EQ still, I think.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

So, picked up the game tonight. I rolled a mage and she rolled a cleric.

We got up to about level 14 or so. Lots of fun. The rift events are a nice distraction from questing, and the quest chains seem to flow nicely.

We ended up rolling on Arcanis, since we didn't want to sit in queue for Shadefallen.

We're questing together, so nothing is terribly difficult and with the exception of the harder rifts we're rolling through shit pretty fast. I do imagine that solo questing might require a bit more caution in some areas. Can't wait to try instances.

I'm playing Pyro / Elementalist. It's craaaazy fun. Lots of burst damage. She's, uh, the tank kind of cleric. I LOVE the class system. If anything at all stands out about this game (and while I enjoy it, nothing stands out that much) it's the class system.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Of all the game mechanics they copied why the fuck did WOWs idiotic inventory management system have to be one of them. With so many consumables and stacks of shit in Rift, they should just give players the fucking inventory space they need.

Also, they really need to get on the ball with these plat selling spammers.
The same dude was mail spamming the server for the entire weekend.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Yeah, even with only one gathering prof (I'm a Miner/Weapon/Armor), I'm still feeling the space crush, and that's knowing how to put shit I'll never use on the AH, salvage old items in the field, constantly sell greys, ect.

The tiny shitbag quest rewards are like a kick in the nuts. Wow, 4 slots, how generous!

Other than that, the game is fucking fun. The systems are similar enough not to feel completely foreign, but new enough to be fun messing with. Maybe it's just that new-game smell.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

There should never be a limit to inventory. If you want to be a MMO hoarder there is no reason for them to stop you from doing so. EQ2 was basically this way, while there is a limit it never seemed to be a issue for me. WoW inventory management was the most obnoxious part of the game, aside from the people that play it.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

masteen wrote:Other than that, the game is fucking fun.
Yea, there's really not much to nitpick about.

I'm liking it a lot more since I mothballed my mage and started playing a cleric.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I got a 12 slot bag as a drop the other day off a bat. That was awesome. I'm running all three gathering profs on my main. I'm sure as hell glad they stack to 50 instead of 20. Though I think potions still only stack to 20.

I think they need to fire their voice talent and get new voices in game. Who the hell thought Dwarves having a Yoda voice would be a good thing?
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I'm unaware of the existence of these "dwarves" you speak of. Everyone I see is either a scantily clad amazon or elven gaylord.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

They are all located underneath your nose...
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Crazy build options.

Interesting game. I enjoy the public group joins for the rift events. Makes it easy to get in and out. The quests are pretty much your standard fare WoW or whatever. Actually this game is more WoW than anything, except that it is pretty and seems to be pretty efficient, hardware resource-wise. The new expansion pretty much killed EQ2 for me, so I think I'll give this a try and cancel my EQ2 accounts.

On Greybrier as:

Tatas
Coho
en kærlighed småkager
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

First Patch
It's a big patch. Lots of tweaks and fixes.
Notes are found here: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.p ... 8-00am-PST

Highlights of this patch:
== FEATURED ==
* Experience for appropriately sized groups relative to the difficulty of Rift, Invasion, and Foothold content has been returned to higher amounts as seen previously in Beta.
* Water, Life, Death, and Air Raid Rifts are now available.
* You can now set how many quests to track on-screen at once (up to 10) by changing the setting in the Interface -> Display category.
* Shift-clicking to split stacks of items now works in your bank or bank bags.
* Fixed issues causing player armor to appear the wrong colors after respawning or Soul Walking.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »