Spoiling Children @ Christmas Time

It's the most wonderful time of the year.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Spoiling Children @ Christmas Time

Post by Siji »

Would like to hear some stories of the best ways you parents out there have spoiled your children for a Christmas; especially very young children.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Spoiling Children @ Christmas Time

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I have a 10 month girl and I'm kind of taking the opposite approach. We'll wait and see what she recieves, then fill in the gaps after Xmas. I'm kind of practical though, which goes against the idea of spoiling :P Hell, she grows out of stuff so fast at this age everything is so temporary. Spending an assload of cash on her just dosen't make sense at such a young age. I'll wait until she's older and can appreciate the gifts.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Fairweather: There's where your extra money should be going, start one of those college savings programs for her where you're an owner on the account and can pull it out if she doesn't need it (like when she gets a scholarship).

Siji: I have a 3, almost four year old girl here myself. Really, not much to the spoiling at that age since the comprehension isn't quite there. Just load them up with presents. She found christmas cookie dough in the refrigerator and said we can't make them because it's not Christmas yet. I explained that Christmas is a season and not just a day and that we could make the cookies. She thought for a moment and then asked if that meant she'd get presents every day... :lol:
- Ash
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

There's no need to spoil a really young child (the babbling, can't speak yet kind). They don't know any better. Give them a box of rocks and they'll be happy as long as they're shiny.

Keep them healthy and make sure you start educating them early. Having a baby like Stewie, from Family Guy, should be your goal.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Also: Took my stepdaughter to Disney at 5 years old in my first marriage for Christmas. WAY too soon. She fell asleep on Mainstreet USA and not even a brass band could wake her up.
- Ash
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The savings/investment plan is a good idea for kids and gifts.

------

"My parents are so cool, they bought me a gold plated rattle when I was 2"

or

"My parents are so smart, they invested the money my dumb uncle suggested go toward a gold plated rattle and now they're buying me a new car (or whatever) on my 16th birthday with the money that investment has earned"
rhyae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by rhyae »

My ex husbands family was very spoiled. Each kid (5 of them) had their own TV, DVD, stereo, latest game console, cell phones, computers, etc. If you asked one of them a personal question about their siblings nobody could answer it because they never spent any time together. Each one was holed up in their own room watching their own TV.
Reminds me of that car commercial where the sister calls her brother by the wrong name.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

My parents never spoiled us during the year but they were tops when it came to making Christmas about us. There were always lots of presents, artfully arranged for full effect (mom's talent). The stockings were always a favorite, stuffed full of little stuff from cheapo lipgloss to Swatch watches. Christmas morning always had the magic it should have for kids. My parents never got that growing up, so it was important that we have it.

I have really great memories of Christmas. The best Christmas was when I was probably 10-12 ish and after opening presents my Dad asked me and my sister to play something on the piano (we were taking lessons). The piano faced away rom the entertainment center and after a minute or two we hear the opening sounds of Pac Man. We had no idea we'd get an Atari for Christmas!

"Spoiling" kids for Christmas is not a bad thing, depending on the kid and what you can afford.
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I don't think spoiling kids for Christmas is a bad thing either. If you are spoiling them all year and Christmas comes around and it's just more of the same, not only is it going to take the excitement out of christmas for them but they are probably going to be brats.. If it's just Christmas though you look forward to it all year, and I think even as a little kid you have a much better sense of appreciation for what you get if for no other reason than it only happens once a year :)
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I remember my Atari for Christmas when I was a kid too Lala - that was a good year!

Except it was Pong! :P
- Ash
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Funny how everyone assumes 'spoiling' means buying things. :)

Fair - my daughter will be almost 9 months come Christmas, so they're close. If everything she grabbed didn't end up in her mouth or near her eyes it would make it quite a bit easier to give her objects to entertain her. She's always happy and smiling as it is, so she'll be content with anything. I've been looking for the shiniest wrapping paper I can find and lots of crunchy tissue paper. My daughter loves shredding and crumpling paper.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Siji wrote:Funny how everyone assumes 'spoiling' means buying things. :)
What else would it mean? Curious of how else one can spoil their children at Christmas. Extra helpings of plum pudding? :P
Lalanae
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Lalanae wrote:
What else would it mean? Curious of how else one can spoil their children at Christmas. Extra helpings of plum pudding? :P
Let them do things you normally wouldn't, or do things with them that you seldom have time to do.. let them play with and get cake all over themselves, dress up like santa and play with them, have a food fight in the living room, etc.. wasn't so much referring to buying them a Porsche with Gucci seat covers.
Akanae
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Akanae »

There is such a thing as spoiling a kid too much at christmas. I have a niece who is used to getting what she asks for at christmas, and a couple of years ago when she was 6 she was literally opening presents for 30 minutes straight. She had to be cheered on to finish opening everything in one sitting. And when she was done the first thing she did was rattle off a list of things she wanted but did not receive.
WOW - Eewy priest of Cenarius
EQ- Akanae Tendo officer of OTB ~retired~
COH - Akanae Empathy Defender on Pinnacle ~retired~
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Yeah, an unappreciative kid like that shouldn't be given so much. The fact she's only 6 is pretty scary since kids tend to get a bit more demanding as they age :P
Lalanae
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Akanae wrote:There is such a thing as spoiling a kid too much at christmas. I have a niece who is used to getting what she asks for at christmas, and a couple of years ago when she was 6 she was literally opening presents for 30 minutes straight. She had to be cheered on to finish opening everything in one sitting. And when she was done the first thing she did was rattle off a list of things she wanted but did not receive.
Not to be a dick, but that to me is more of a parenting issue than a direct effect of spoiling them at Christmas.. They need to be taught to not be selfish and greedy and to have a sense of gratitude. I wouldn't say I was spoiled at christmas, I always wanted a lot of things my parents couldn't afford, but I also wanted a lot of things that I did get, I usually did pretty well :)

But my parents taught me from a young age to appreciate what I did have, so not once did it ever occur to me to not be happy with what I had, let alone complain about what I didn't get when I got a ton of stuff I did want.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Siji wrote:.. let them play with and get cake all over themselves,...have a food fight in the living room, etc..
wtf?

You should always have time for your children so that shouldn't be a part of spoiling them.

A food fight in the living room is dumb at any time. I don't think there's any joy for kids in getting cake all over themselves. It's the same as a kid with snot running down their nose that doesn't really want that on his face...or poop in their diapers. They're too young to clean themselves up.

Make funny faces at them and don't drop them on their head.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

It's a first birthday tradition in my family to sit the kid in on the floor and let them go at a cake however they want to. All but my oldest niece were covered with cake by the time they were finished. The oldest just looked at us like "you expect me to do WHAT?"
rhyae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by rhyae »

Non monetary spoiling gone wrong:
My friend's son is eleven, he's been spoiled since birth unlike any child I've ever seen.
He demands and gets attention non stop. He can't or won't do anything for himself.
"Mom get me some milk."
"Dad I want Oreos for dinner."
"Find my shoes."
"Take me to the mall."
He slept in the bed with his mother until he was 8, and still sleeps on the floor next to her bed.
When he doesn't get his way, he will sit on the floor next to you mewling and crying until you give in to him, and they always do. It's not his fault but it sure makes him hard to be around.
I kept thinking he would grow out of it, but he hasn't yet.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

rhyae wrote:Non monetary spoiling gone wrong:
My friend's son is eleven, he's been spoiled since birth unlike any child I've ever seen.
He demands and gets attention non stop. He can't or won't do anything for himself.
"Mom get me some milk."
"Find my shoes."
"Take me to the mall."
He slept in the bed with his mother until he was 8, and still sleeps on the floor next to her bed.
When he doesn't get his way, he will sit on the floor next to you mewling and crying until you give in to him, and they always do. It's not his fault but it sure makes him hard to be around.
He won't grow out of it until his parents make him grow out of it. I have never understood that, it's a completely unacceptable way for your child to act (whether you think it is or not) and the same parents that do that will sit there and say stuff like "I don't know why he does that"... IT'S BECAUSE YOU LET HIM GET AWAY WITH IT MORON. This is the same type of parenting/child combo that results in tragic shit for other innocent people down the road.. Most people shouldn't be allowed to have children.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Edit: Misread the cake reference. Thought you were talking about Christmas

Yeah we had the same first birthday thing. I think most people do. Its funny to see how a 1 year old reacts to cake.
Lalanae
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Funkmasterr wrote:
rhyae wrote:Non monetary spoiling gone wrong:
"Mom get me some milk."
"Find my shoes."
"Take me to the mall."
He won't grow out of it until his parents make him grow out of it. I have never understood that, it's a completely unacceptable way for your child to act (whether you think it is or not) and the same parents that do that will sit there and say stuff like "I don't know why he does that"... IT'S BECAUSE YOU LET HIM GET AWAY WITH IT MORON. This is the same type of parenting/child combo that results in tragic shit for other innocent people down the road.. Most people shouldn't be allowed to have children.

Agreed. That's the kind of kid that grows up to kill someone because they don't get their way. Or, hell these days you don't have to grow up to be a murdering scumbag... Even if he doesn't go that far, that kid's future is fucked without a miracle. He's on the cusp of puberty, so the parents chance to fix their parenting habits is pretty much over. He will have social problems (if he doesn't already) because he will expect indulgence from everyone and be aggravated when he doesn't get it.
Lalanae
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Winnow wrote:You should always have time for your children so that shouldn't be a part of spoiling them.
Where does it say in any of my posts 'make time for them' as spoiling them you fucking retard?
Winnow wrote:don't drop them on their head.
Spoken from personal experience.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Siji wrote:
Winnow wrote:You should always have time for your children so that shouldn't be a part of spoiling them.
Where does it say in any of my posts 'make time for them' as spoiling them you fucking retard?
Hmm, if that isn't the case then why be such a defensive prick about it? His comment wasn't inflammatory, yours was.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Siji wrote:
Hmm, if that isn't the case then why be such a defensive prick about it? His comment wasn't inflammatory, yours was.
This is the Christmas forum! Show a little holiday spirit you assholes! :D
- Ash
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Siji wrote:
Lalanae wrote:
Let them do things you normally wouldn't, or do things with them that you seldom have time to do.. let them play with and get cake all over themselves, dress up like santa and play with them, have a food fight in the living room, etc.. wasn't so much referring to buying them a Porsche with Gucci seat covers.
Siji wrote:Where does it say in any of my posts 'make time for them' as spoiling them you fucking retard?
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

I spend 99% of every moment outside of work with my child unless she's sleeping - that doesn't mean I've/we've got time to take her to the zoo or kids playground every night. I can see how my post could have been read in a way I didn't intend, so I'll retract my first statement.

I stand by the statement that Winnow was dropped on his head however.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Siji wrote:I stand by the statement that Winnow was dropped on his head however.
you left out a word

repeatedly
Thess
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Thess »

Filling the room with gifts is the best way to spoil children!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ashur wrote:
This is the Christmas forum! Show a little holiday spirit you assholes! :D
Lynxe
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Lynxe »

If they are not old enough to make a list, they are not old enough to spoil. Doesn't matter if you are talking Christmas presents or attention - same deal.

I have three kids and I'm huge on Christmas. My 3 year old got to ask for things for the first time this year (we showed him pictures of items I already had purchased for him) My twin girls are 21months old and they don't get the concept. Anything they get including the box the toys come in - is a toy.

Shock Factor: My husband and I make sure the floor has that one HUGE item that just nabs the kid's attention. One year it was a train set on a train table, another it was a big inflatable toy they could crawl into. This year it is one of those 3-pup tent contraptions with the tunnels that lead to each other ($40.00 Canadian)

Age 0-2: Buy a couple of special things but if you have a lot of friends/family who will be giving toys then don't buy many yourself. I have a basement FULL of bins filled with toys many of which are still in stock at stores. There are just too many to keep around.

Age 3-5: They start knowing what they want and you'll need to set boundaries. For those who don't want to give gifts, money (for school fund as mentioned above) or money towards a class I might be enrolling them in is always great. Like swimming or skating. We were lucky that our son latched on to a few things he wanted and kept that memory close. One of those things was "make sure Santa gives good lists to" his sisters :)
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

When Eric's son was little, we re-wrapped some of his presents from the previous year, stuff he never opened. They don't know the difference!

This year we are starting to just buy one gift, something on the pricier side because I'm tired of spending the money on a bunch of smaller gifts that never get played with. He spends all of his time playing video games, unless he's watching a DVD or reading, so we're getting him a Wii this year, and that's it. Between 3 sets of local grandparents (and being the only grandchild in 2 cases), he gets more than enough each XMas.
Lalanae