Ushering in the death of another holiday...

Why can't witches have babies? Because their husbands have hallo-weenies.
For scary, spooky or other Halloween-related posts.

Moderator: Fairweather Pure

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Ushering in the death of another holiday...

Post by Boogahz »

<insert company name> will go to a "Fall Festival" theme rather than "Frightful" Halloween next year. While scary themes are OK this year, AE is rewarding for "Most Original" to start focusing the site away from Halloween's "darker" side.

:roll:

As if the world outside the building isn't scary...
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Re: Ushering in the death of another holiday...

Post by Sylvus »

My company has always had a big Halloween celebration, where even the execs dress up in costumes and each department decorates their area as a theme, etc.

A few years back, a few people complained on our company message board that we were celebrating a pagan festival or something along those lines, and that it was religiously offensive to them.

Now we celebrate "Harvest Festival", which we're celebrating tomorrow 10/23. Everything about it is the exact same, other than not using the term Halloween.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Yeah, that is how it has typically been for us as well. Even the former CEO used to participate (not sure on the current one, but I doubt it). The "scary" part being removed is what I feel will remove all of what has made the holiday Halloween. Hell, wouldn't going to more of a "harvest festival" be going back to what the original "Pagan" holiday was?!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

We're not allowed to dress up because I work at a hospital. I don't think our elderly or psych patients would appreciate it if I walked into their room dressed like the grim reaper! Likewise, telling people some really bad news while dressed as a clown would be hard to pull off.

My dad works for the state of Michigan, and everyone there still dresses up. It's still called Halloween as far as I know too.

Funny how it only takes some minor complaints to ruin the fun for everyone.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Halloween is a state holiday in Nevada.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Boogahz wrote:Yeah, that is how it has typically been for us as well. Even the former CEO used to participate (not sure on the current one, but I doubt it). The "scary" part being removed is what I feel will remove all of what has made the holiday Halloween. Hell, wouldn't going to more of a "harvest festival" be going back to what the original "Pagan" holiday was?!
Bet they don't complain about the days off for a Christian holiday.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Siji wrote:
Boogahz wrote:Yeah, that is how it has typically been for us as well. Even the former CEO used to participate (not sure on the current one, but I doubt it). The "scary" part being removed is what I feel will remove all of what has made the holiday Halloween. Hell, wouldn't going to more of a "harvest festival" be going back to what the original "Pagan" holiday was?!
Bet they don't complain about the days off for a Christian holiday.
We're open on those holidays, and people do complain if they cannot get a shift for one. I enjoy how everyone seems to think Christians are to blame for everything though. From what I understand, the Wiccan employees were the first to ask that it be changed away from the "darker" side of the holiday as mentioned in the first post. It was Sylvus who said that people complained about it being a celebration of a Pagan holiday.