Horror Themed Board Games

Why can't witches have babies? Because their husbands have hallo-weenies.
For scary, spooky or other Halloween-related posts.

Moderator: Fairweather Pure

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Horror Themed Board Games

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I still like to play board games. I don't get to play them very often anymore, but here are some horror themed board games that I can reccommend.

Zombies!!!

Simple, fun, and cheap. This was the centerpiece of my Zombie Halloween party last year. It was such a huge hit that I will have a hard time coming up with something better next year.

In this game, everyone plays a survior trying to get through a city to a helicoptor pad to escape. The game ends when someone gets to the helicopter or when someone kills 20 zombies. The game is played by drawing random city tiles and building the city as you play. You also draw cards that let you screw your friends, and at the end of each turn you roll a die and move that many zombies anyway you want. It never plays the same way twice, and they have 8 expansions for the game adding tons of content and new rules. The basic rules are so simple, anyone can play. I have all 8 expansions, including Humans!!! which was recently released and lets you play as zombies trying to eat humans. Humans!!! and Zombies!!! can be played together.

Last Night on Earth

I just picked up this one and it's expansion. For this game, one side takes the people, the other takes the zombies. It's pretty damn rough to be the humans IMO, but the few times I have played this so far I have thought it was a hoot.

Zombie Town

Unlike Zombies!!!, this game is about gathering up resources and holding up against the inevitable zombie invasion. The first 2-3 turns are nothing but shoring up defenses and such, but when the zombies hit, it is game on! Once again, stealing from your neighbors is encouraged so this has a good competitive vib to it.

Betrayal at Hill House

This game is now OOP. It sells for well over 100$ on Ebay. It's really, really fun. All the players go into a house together with a scenario guiding you on what to do. Like Zombies!!!, tiles are drawn and laid out to build the house as you play. What sets this game apart is that eventually, one of the players will turn on everyone else. At this point, the betrayer will have a mission (usually to accomplish a goal or kill the others) and so will the remaining players (usually to kill the betrayer).

It's a high quality game that is easy to get into and does a great job of setting the mood for this time of year.

The essential requirement for all these games is just having fun people to play them with. Fuck rule nazis. These games are not Risk or Axis and Allies. They are "beer and pretzel" games made for entry level gamers who just want to have fun. Everyone I have played Zombies!!! with has gone on to buy it. I have probably gotten at least 15 people into that game.
rhyae
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Re: Horror Themed Board Games

Post by rhyae »

My friends love to play Munchkin games, they have most of the expansions including the 'horror themed' Munchkin Bites, and Munchkin Cthulhu. Silly and cute.

We did play ZOMBIES a couple weeks ago, but we ran out of plastic zombie figurines :(
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Zombies!!! is going to be a video game now. It was just announced.

A Bag o Zombies is 6 bucks and you get 50 more! With the various expansions, I have over 500 easy, including zombie rock stars, nurses, business men, clowns, dogs, and a lot more I can't think of off the top of my head.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Add Bump in the Night to the above list. Very fun little game. Each player has 6-7 different monsters that each have different abilities. You have to use them in conjuction with one another to accomplish your goal. The object of the game is to scare little girls. Another well done game by Twilight Creations.