Borderlands 3 (PS4 / PC / XBO)

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Borderlands 3 (PS4 / PC / XBO)

Post by Aslanna »

Out on Friday!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Borderlands 3 (PS4 / PC / XBO)

Post by Funkmasterr »

I still can't decide if I'm playing Amara or Fl4k first. Leaning towards Amara because I've always played sirens in previous games.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Looking forward to it! Planning to CO-OP the campaign.

I saw a Fl4k crit build that looked interesting.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Siren for life!

I did play the other characters in BL2 but none of them really grabbed me except maybe the turret guy.

From what I hear BL3 is basically just more of previous Borderlands but I'm ok with that. I ordered the Super Deluxe Edition since I still have the Best Buy Gamers Club discount (or whatever it is called) so that knocks it down to $80.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sirens have always been the most powerful.

I'm interested in the Moze that has the mech. It looks like she relies the most on her weapons and has weapon enhancing skills, when not inside Mech, and Borderlands is all about weapons.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Make sure maximize field of view setting. I was getting some motion sickness. Maxing FoV in settings helped.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Some of these SHIFT codes still work:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Borderlandsshiftcodes/

I was able to get 6 gold keys. You can redeem them in the social menu in game. Gold keys appear in your game mail under the social tab after you redeem them. The keys give out weapons at the level you're presently at so sometimes best to use the keys later in the game. The Gold Key Loot Chest is located on the Sanctuary Ship.

You can cut and paste them in the PC version. Probably a pain to type those codes in on a console.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I've played a fair bit the pat two days and I can't definitely say this is "more Borderlands." While I'm not crying about enough innovation like some websites I will say a little more would have been appreciated. One example is those damn tiny loot boxes (safe looking things and small boxes with the green label) all over. You have to have the cursor in just the right place before you get the Open (Use?) prompt.

My biggest complaint has to be the boss fights. Whoever designed these needs to be tossed out to the skags. Most of them don't feel fair and I end up just looking to cheese it in some fashion. I'm level 20 and stuck on the "disco ball' fight which is supposedly a level 19 mission yet the boss is level 21. I swear the difficulty setting does nothing in this game except maybe (maybe!) give you 10% more ammo in a crate because for the most part I'm getting one-shotted by the boss. Which sucks because every time you die you lose money. Being able to store some in your bank would have been nice.

Speaking of storing stuff, they continue to be stingy with the backpack space. I get that you can upgrade it but even then for a game that is all about "OVER A BILLION!" guns they give you very little storage space particularly at the beginning when you're trying to scrap together money so having more space to carry vendor trash would help quite a bit.

System performance could use some more time in the oven. Bringing up the menu slows things down especially when you go to the Skills menu. It does the character animation thing and then you get the menu. Although they maybe changed that just recently because now it's showing me the skill tree first before the animation on the right. There hasn't been a patch though so that just sounds like magic to me. Also two times through the "Saturday Night Fever" boss I lost sound. No crashes or anything yet though for me.

The ability to grab onto ledges is nice but the jumping is still garbage with how floaty it is. I can't count how many platforms I jumped to just to have myself hit it and go skipping right off.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
My biggest complaint has to be the boss fights. Whoever designed these needs to be tossed out to the skags. Most of them don't feel fair and I end up just looking to cheese it in some fashion. I'm level 20 and stuck on the "disco ball' fight which is supposedly a level 19 mission yet the boss is level 21.
That Boss stopped me in my tracks as well. The problem I have with that level is that there is a fairly difficult fight right before that boss and that level has a big map. I had to quit for awhile and I'm not looking forward to fighting my way all the way back to that boss.

Haven't had a legendary drop yet except for Gigamind boss that I went back and farmed later for his unique Legendary. I'm level 18. My weapons have been pretty crap so far but I'm making due with element damage combined with Siren with a mod to increase that damage.

I'm impressed with Sanctuary. They put some effort into the ship design. The menu system is archaic. Messing with inventory is kind of a hassle.

Overall it's fun though. Dialog etc is all entertaining. Besides that Space Level (the jump floating is fun), I think the balance has been ok on bosses. That final boss on the Space Level is too powerful IMO. I'll probably have to DOT it to death while running constantly for a long time.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Haven't had a legendary drop yet except for Gigamind boss that I went back and farmed later for his unique Legendary. I'm level 18. My weapons have been pretty crap so far but I'm making due with element damage combined with Siren with a mod to increase that damage.
Loot has been fairly disappointing. Since you (unfortunately) can't level loot I don't see why they are so stingy about it during the campaign missions. Way too many greens and blues. For mod I went with one that gives me health regen even though it doesn't modify any of the stats I use.
That final boss on the Space Level is too powerful IMO. I'll probably have to DOT it to death while running constantly for a long time.
Just look up a video about how to cheese it. There's two spots that work fairly well. I finally killed the dumb thing but it took me a few tries. They definitely need to tone that shit down. The next few fights after that have been cake. Good luck if you go the running route though. I tried that and was one-shotted left and right so finally went the cheese route.

I thought a Kill-a-Volt fight was cheap too. Not bad early on but after awhile he'll do an attack that doesn't seem to be avoidable.

Oh.. And Ava sucks.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'll be giving it a try again soon.

I found a good boss to farm and got two legendaries that will help. One in particular.

Shotgun: The Butcher

This thing does crazy damage. It has a bit of elemental damage and huge normal damage and fires super fast. It has melted everything. It's downside is accuracy but it's a shotgun so you're up close normally anyway.

Pistol: Max Baby Maker ++

This one is like the "Gigamind" boss weapon where you can throw the weapon. It has high damage and when you throw the weapon it sets off 4 MIRV missiles that seek out targets. The downside is that throwing the weapon seems to use a lot of ammo. Will need to experiment a bit with it to see if worth it.

The Butcher Legendary does such crazy damage that I imagine I'll be able to kill bosses way faster. That orb boss thing is still going to be an issue because it's not close all the time.

The Butcher is good for melee sirens with Phase Slam builds, up close type fighting. Also good for the Pet class that can give it endless ammo with the right build.

Here's a couple examples of the Butcher in action:

https://old.reddit.com/r/borderlands3/c ... hilarious/

https://old.reddit.com/r/borderlands3/c ... s_shotgun/

You may be too high a level for this now because it drops level 16 loot, but the super easy to kill boss is located on "Athena". If you go to the long bridge (easy to spot in the middle of the map. The boss is located in the opposite direction the bridge leads to. So make a left at the bridge and stay left past some small bugs and there's a crack in the wall. There's a big bug mob there that is easy to kill. Doesn't seem to move if you keep shooting it in the face. It's own legendary is a grenade that's not too good but does drop other legendaries, I was able to get the two weapons above from it.

The boss fight is less than a minute, more like 20 seconds and the bridge has a respawn spot so you can cycle through the boss once a minute or two minutes max if you have an SSD so can reload the game fast (quit to menu then continue will put you at the bridge. There's 2 or 3 ammo cratea on the short trip back so ammo is not an issue. drops some Eridium too, and I used cash drop boosting grenades on it to get extra money as well.

I'll be farming that boss for sure if I ever get to Mayhem level 3.
Last edited by Winnow on September 16, 2019, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I was having trouble with Kill-a-Volt as well when you get to the end of the fight and the whole damn floor is covered in electricity. I decided I'd just come back to it later when I'm higher level/am playing with friends.

Now I'm stuck on the Maliwan boss - I think what you guys are talking about. I paused the game there last night so I won't have to run back... I'm going to try and switch up my weapon damage types and see if it makes a difference before I cheese it.

I agree the boss fights are a bit unbalanced, and there are some little things wrong here and there, but overall I'm enjoying it and it's more or less what I expected. I will say that instanced loot, ability to climb ledges, and being able to fast travel from anywhere have been huge quality of life changes.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's a short video showing the location of the mini boss:

https://old.reddit.com/r/borderlands3/c ... cally_one/

This is heading the opposite direction of the bridge on Athena planet.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I hit Level 27 and came to another boss that I feel is cheap so just fast traveled back to Sanctuary before I ran out of money. I get why it has the ability it does but it is still frustrating that most of these fights seem balanced for two or more people. I will say the zone it is in is pretty cool once you get "inside". It's rather large though so to get back to where I was is going to take awhile.

I'm not too concerned with farming at this point since, until you get to max level (or near it), even the best legendary will eventually be outdone by a green. Of course even then 6 months later they'll raise the level cap just to make people rage. So the faster I increase my level the more the loot will be worth to sell and then I can upgrade more things although even at this point I'm not starved for ammo most of the time. Opening the fourth weapon slot helped with that I suppose since I am getting better at switching to different weapon types as I go.

Improvements that I like:
- Ability of some weapons to switch between different modes or elemental damage so you can carry less items.
- Ability to buy max ammo with one button from the vending machines.
- Fast travel
- The ledge climbing is nice and can give some areas more verticality . The downside is they make more platforming stuff which due to the floatyness I'm not a huge fan. Still an improvement though.
- More diversity in the side quests and for the most part they aren't simply run all the way to the other side of the zone, kill something, then run all the way back.

Things I'm not a fan of:
- Cheap boss mechanics.
- The 'Borderlands menu system'. I mean come on Gearbox.. That's one area that could have used some innovation.
- Floaty jumping omg!
- Having to open every single box, safe, chest, pile of garbage, etc. Especially if there are many in one area. Give the ability to 'Open All' or something. You're the developers you figure it out!
- Loot has been mostly mediocre for me. Only a few items I've actually gotten excited to use.
- Having to go to a different menu (Options>Social>Mail) to see your ingame email. Check this because that's where some quest rewards go as well as the Manufacturer rewards (whatever that is called).
- Performance issues especially in menus. Every trip to the vending machine is painful.
- Speaking of vending machines, the lack of sort ability on Type when you select sell. The L2/R2 options still cycle to it but it doesn't actually change the order of the items. Probable bug!
- Ava

I'm sure I've forgotten a bunch of items in each category. Will try to make note of them as I play.

Speaking of bugs, I played for two days and never saw the elemental damage particle effects indicator on the end of the weapon when you're holding it yet recently it has sown up. I am not sure if that's a level thing or not. It would seem odd if it was but anything is possible.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Am I missing something or is there no fast way to equip things from your inventory? I've been clicking on the item and then clicking on the slot I want it in. Is there a hot button system I'm missing? like click on the item and then hit "1" for weapon slot 1,2 ,3 , 4 etc? Right now the inventory/skill management seems like they forgot to update it from a standard set back in the 90's.

Rotating between the three skill trees maybe looks cool but there's plenty of room to have all three trees up at the same time....and also the mods...there's no pop up window that tells you what the mod skill does so I have to remember what the mods are and then go find it on the skill trees.

I like the various skins/heads etc. They drop pretty frequently and are fun to play around with.

I also like the shields with adrenaline (I think is the ability) that speeds you up when you're hit. It allows me to speed through levels quick to get to a farming spot etc.

I didnt have enough "eridium" to buy it but I saw a shield that "when you use phaseslam, continuously sets off Nova explosions every second for the length of the skill. Seemed like a keeper. Right now I have a Shield that sets off a Nova whenever the shield breaks which helps clear small mobs or finish off mobs.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Question for the Siren players!

https://borderlands.com/en-US/character ... 7096573%22

this build shows a mod to convert damage to shock but I don't see that on any skill tree. How do you get that? I'm trying to build a shock based Siren because of a mod that enhances shock damage that's not in my normal tree. I looked at every tree and see nothing like the mod you see in the bottom right to convert ability skill to shock.

I have a +4 mod for Tempest (improves shock damage along with elemental damage in general in the Phasegrasp tree) it's a nice boost that's not in my primary Phaseslam tree so want that extra shock damage for my main ability.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Question for the Siren players!

this build shows a mod to convert damage to shock but I don't see that on any skill tree. How do you get that?
Go into the phasegrasp tree and hit Manage Loadout option. It's the triangle on DS4 not sure on the PC but it should say in the lower right. Then select Action Skill Element. Default is Shock so unequip the one that converts to Incendiary.

Basically if you have Soulfire selected you want to unselect that. Not sure that's a good explanation but you'll figure it out. It's a bit wonky. I think that's what you were asking if not sorry!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Thanks! I'll have to check it out later. Strange, on the Phasegrasp tree, there's a straight forward side option to convert Action skill to (the toxic one) and the other tree has incendiary....so is the normal/default one Shock (if you don't equip either of the other two?) I'll try the manage loadout on phasegrasp later though.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Another easy mob to farm like the bug is level 25. Chonk Stomp. You can run quick to him and once he spawns just drop back off the small ledge the way you came and go back like 10 feet. He'll just run around all confused. I killed him twice and got a Legendary the second time. Too bad it was a shotgun, The Garcia. I am not a fan of shotguns and especially items that consume 2 ammo per shot. So I probably wont use that but I'll give it a try. Who knows it might be good!
The Garcia
Rooty Tooty Pointy Shooty.
The weapon has high magazine size and Critical Hits has ricochet rounds.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Another easy mob to farm like the bug is level 25. Chonk Stomp. You can run quick to him and once he spawns just drop back off the small ledge the way you came and go back like 10 feet. He'll just run around all confused. I killed him twice and got a Legendary the second time. Too bad it was a shotgun, The Garcia. I am not a fan of shotguns and especially items that consume 2 ammo per shot. So I probably wont use that but I'll give it a try. Who knows it might be good!
The Garcia
Rooty Tooty Pointy Shooty.
The weapon has high magazine size and Critical Hits has ricochet rounds.
You'd be a fan of The Butcher shotgun! Fires as fast as an SMG.

What planet/zone is Chonk Stomp in? I'll have to get by the Orb Space Zone thingy I'm sure before I can access him. I'll probably have to find a boss mob to farm that's level 19 before the Orb thing if the level 16 Butcher doesnt take him down.

Another thing you can do is play the slots using 10 E per pull. You can farm Euridium like 4 each try instead of around 2 per other bosses, in the Pandora Drough zone. Take a buggy from your original starting point after the tutorial and stick to the left for a short ways, you'll come to a lake, there/s a cave with a boss mob there that morphs into multiple bugs, you usually get about 4 euridium and chance at a legenday. Getting a slots Legendary is your current level if you get lucky. I may burn another gold key or two to get some purples/golds.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:What planet/zone is Chonk Stomp in? I'll have to get by the Orb Space Zone thingy I'm sure before I can access him. I'll probably have to find a boss mob to farm that's level 19 before the Orb thing if the level 16 Butcher doesnt take him down.
Planet - Eden-6. Zone - Floodmoor Basin. However where you currently are you do not have access to it as the planets/locations open in a linear fashion so... get to boss killing.

I didn't defeat the disco ball until I was 21 since I decided to finish a bunch of side stuff first. Even then I died a few times. That boss needs some nerfs. And I'm not the only one to think so!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Use this vs Killowat

I have a level 19 version of this shield now but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Link if picture doesnt show:

https://old.reddit.com/r/borderlands3/c ... n_suck_it/

100% shock resistance plus converting your own shock damage into shields (my Siren shock build) plus 40% ammo absorption.

One of the best shields in the game. Of course, the capacity scales depending on level, I think mine is 800 Capacity.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I beat Kill-a-volt and Katagawa Ball yesterday (at level 18). Fuck both of them.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:I beat Kill-a-volt and Katagawa Ball yesterday (at level 18). Fuck both of them.
Cheese or no cheese?!

I made it to The Anoited with no problem and that's where I got stuck again however I only attempted it once.
All of his moves do a killer amount of damage, but from the offset it doesn’t appear too bad. Then you find out his attacks go through walls; then you find out he can teleport anywhere instantly; then you find out the only enemies to Second Wind are badass enemy types.
I'll say it again.. Gearbox sucks at Boss Fight design. I'm going to have to look up and see if there's any cheese for him.

The link has some spoilers so don't click if you don't want to be surprised. However the title of the article is Billy The Anointed Is A Hands Down Awful Boss Fight. Having only done it once I can concur!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I farmed Chonk Stomp for like an hour and got another Garcia so moved on. I thought named had a pool of 2 Legendaries but I could have been imagining things.

An even easier farm is Heckle and Hyde a little further on Eden-6. It's literally a 5 second run back to the area he is with no mobs. I got a Stabby Whizzy Pestilence from there which is a CoV Pistol. Statswise it is less than the blue level 18 pistol I am using but I'll give it a shot.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:I beat Kill-a-volt and Katagawa Ball yesterday (at level 18). Fuck both of them.
Cheese or no cheese?!
Maybe a bit of both I guess. I was just using the big platform in the center on the far end from where you enter the room and keeping it between me and the boss for the most part. Had a couple of close calls. A few more levels and I'll have the skill that gives you one auto-revive every 2 minutes or whatever - that will be nice for this kind of thing.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I killed that space ball and the "Katagawa" teleporting guy and killed the first Vault monster. The Butcher really does the job fast although I had to use a Cyro freeze gun on the teleporting guy when he was far away. Haven't run into Killowatt yet, I'm assuming that's next on the list after opening the first vault.

I have some legendary grenade 200/sec fire (high damage for a level 19 item) damage that really helps things as well.

Was level 20 vs Space ball, am level 21 now.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Kill-a-volt is a side mission. It might be one of the "rare spawn" side missions, but I'm not sure. I've been doing all side missions before I progress the story.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

To get to KaV it is a side mission from Moxxi. I did that before bonking disco ball. I don't remember how it actually starts. It involves collecting some batteries for her though...

I gave The Garcia shotgun a try. No sir, I didn't like it. I promptly stored it in my bank.

The Stabby Whizzy Pestilence on the other hand is pretty good. That's the first CoV weapon I actually used because when I read the description about them breaking I thought they meant literal breaking weapons like other games where it's actually gone and was like.. "Who would want that!"

I also got a Legendary from a Jakobs chest but I'm forgetting what it was now. I do like how Legendaries now make a distinctive sound when they spawn as well as showing a big star on the mini-map. Makes it hard to miss!

Did anyone kill Dinklebot? I got my engram to turn into the Cryptarch (Crazy Earl) and as usual all I got was crappy loot!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, I killed Dinklebot and also just got a shitty green (and a snide remark from Earl the asshole).
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

To get to KaV it is a side mission from Moxxi. I did that before bonking disco ball. I don't remember how it actually starts. It involves collecting some batteries for her though...
Ah ok, I think I have 6/8 of those things, I'll have to go find the other two. Seemed like a time waster type search quest so had put it on the back burner.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:Yeah, I killed Dinklebot and also just got a shitty green (and a snide remark from Earl the asshole).
I thought it was a funny Destiny joke. There's been a few other references as well but I don't recall any other specifically. Although those floating balls reminded me of Servitors.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:Yeah, I killed Dinklebot and also just got a shitty green (and a snide remark from Earl the asshole).
I thought it was a funny Destiny joke. There's been a few other references as well but I don't recall any other specifically. Although those floating balls reminded me of Servitors.
Wow, that's embarrassing. I didn't make that connection until you framed it that way :lol:

Yeah, Rysball and Katagawa ball definitely reminded me of servitors, too!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I am not sure how far I am now, as this is a long game, but I am level 41 and I think I am approaching the end of the campaign. For the most part the bosses haven't been too bad but I still don't think they are designed very well however most of them felt fair the way some of the previous bosses didn't. Although having said that maybe my weapons just suck but a 15 minute fight isn't fun it's monotonous.

Their level design sucks in regards to vending machines and fast travel. One level I was doing took me over 30 minutes to get to the end and no way to sell my loot before the last encounter. Not to mention once you kill the boss you get a bunch of drops so you end up dropping half the crap you were carrying anyway so why bother. And if I COULD have sold it I would have lost a large chunk if I died a couple times.

This is compounded by the inventory system which doesn't allow you to sort by vendor value. While I like "more Borderlands" this was one of the things I wish they would have innovated on because it's bad. Even in BL2 it wasn't good. I get that it's probably designed that way to accommodate split screen play but those of us not split-screening shouldn't have to suffer. I wonder if the duping glitch is still around where if you drop stuff on the ground and then disconnect people could pick those items up and you'd still have it in your inventory when you logged back in.

I would like to see at least vending machines before the boss fight. A fast travel point opening up would be more beneficial since at least you can go back to Sanctuary and sell your stuff and spend your money before dying and losing money. I understand this would make boss farming easier but at that point most people would just run back anyway and not bother with the trash. Give the people what they want!

Overall though I am enjoying the game and have spent way too much time playing it the past week but some of the cracks in the formula are becoming obvious: Traverse a bit, fight a wave or two (or three) of enemies, open all the chests to get more ammo, repeat until you get to boss encounter. I'm sure that's the same with most loot oriented games but in BL2 the characters and story were more interesting so it wasn't as noticeable.

Oh, and they've started nerfing stuff as well. I hope they don't get to the point like in Borderlands 2 where you would have to farm for hours, sometimes days, just to get a Legendary. 4 hours should be the max time you have to spend on an item. I can't remember how long I spent camping bee shield (ended up being nerfed as well but still was decent) and Infinity pistol in that game.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah a lot of the little annoying bits of this (many of which you touched on) are stopping me from really getting into it. I'll finish it eventually but I think it's going to just be a couple hours here and there, and I'm almost certain that when Code Vein comes out Friday I'll end up spending most of my time on that instead.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Oh, and I almost forgot the glitches. I have had the audio stop working properly a handful of instances now as well as some quests just not updating properly. So far (cross fingers) nothing has been game-breaking and was fixed just by quitting and going back in but there could have been some more polish put on this.

One of the drawbacks of buying day one though: full price and bugs. Wait a year and those bugs should be fixed and you'll be able to find the game for $20.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Oh, and they've started nerfing stuff as well. I hope they don't get to the point like in Borderlands 2 where you would have to farm for hours, sometimes days, just to get a Legendary. 4 hours should be the max time you have to spend on an item. I can't remember how long I spent camping bee shield (ended up being nerfed as well but still was decent) and Infinity pistol in that game.
There's an easy gold key hack to refresh your gold keys if you ever run into trouble getting legendaries. You make copy of your profile in the saves folder (not the actual saves themselves), use your keys, then copy your old profile back and your keys return. Your inventory as well for what you had in the bank when copied. Not to be abused but it there if needed.

I'm enjoying the game, a few days ago I fought the Graveyard boss. Longest fight ever if you don't have radiation element weapon. I was using a level 16 Butcher on him. Thankfully grenades respawned pretty often.

Despite the UI issues and archaic inventory/skill UI system, the game is worth it and better than most of the games out there. I feel I got my money/entertainment worth for sure. I'm messing around with the Siren's skills trying different builds.

The Night Hawkin SMG is my favorite weapon. Just a great all around weapon. Handles well, great damage, has range, Cyro version nice for melee Siren.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:There's an easy gold key hack to refresh your gold keys if you ever run into trouble getting legendaries. You make copy of your profile in the saves folder (not the actual saves themselves), use your keys, then copy your old profile back and your keys return. Your inventory as well for what you had in the bank when copied. Not to be abused but it there if needed.
Maybe. If you're on PC. Which is much easier to hack. I'm sure there will be game save edit programs out for it soon, if not already. like there was for BL2. That stuff is fun to mess around with but I'd rather finish everything first before using something like that. If you can just make yourself super powerful right off the bat it drains the incentive to progress. It does save a lot of time though I'll give you that.

I finished the campaign last night. It turns out I only had the final boss to go. And honestly that was easier than the previous story boss I did. I did have some better gear but it wasn't all that much better.

I tried Mayhem 1 to see what it was all about and died a few times but eventually accumulated the ~$700k for the next backpack upgrade. It is definitely easier to make money selling items than it was previously as there are lots of drops that are worth $5000+ so if you walk around with 25 free slots for junk that adds up. I don't need upgrades for everything but at least SMG, Auto Rifle, Pistol, and Heavy will be helpful. Oh and Grenades too.

Next goal is to get to 50 (43 now) so that the Legendaries I do get are level 50 although yeah not going to kill myself farming them since Gearbox will probably raise the level cap in 6 months with UVHM. I decided to remain in the regular game for now instead of TVHM as I don't want to do the campaign over again at this time. Hopefully some of the earlier bosses will be better balanced by then.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Levels don't seem to come super fast in this game. I'm traveling this week so won't have much time to play. Last Campaign part I finished was either the ice queen lady or the Pen and Teller look-alike bosses. Think I'm level 32/33.

This games looks like it has some replay value with the 4 characters and various builds plus it's selling like gangbusters so support should be there for awhile.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah I imagine the last 5 or so levels will be slow - but it seems faster than in BL2. I remember picking that back up a while ago and thinking leveling was a slog. I'm at 31 and just beat the second vault boss - holy fuck was that a super boring bullet sponge of a fight. It probably took me 15 minutes of mindless shooting to beat it, and that's just not fun.

Replaying games has never really been my thing, but I'll get through 3 and try out the end game. I am interested in what the raid will be like when they eventually add it. That being said I imagine the end game will be a bit light for a while - so I'll likely be back to Destiny 2 sooner than later to get my get my end game grind on.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Levels don't seem to come super fast in this game. I'm traveling this week so won't have much time to play. Last Campaign part I finished was either the ice queen lady or the Pen and Teller look-alike bosses. Think I'm level 32/33.
I switched to Mayhem 3 last night and was farming a named for the loot and xp so it wasn't too bad. I hit 50 today. I also got a bunch of Legendaries off the named so that was nice. I didn't get any dupes except for a class mod and the second one was better anyway so that worked out. I'll probably move on soon to do some more of the side stuff but I'd like to get an SMG. I have got all of the upgrades maxxed other than the shotgun and I just need 2 million for that so not really a need for money anymore.
This games looks like it has some replay value with the 4 characters and various builds plus it's selling like gangbusters so support should be there for awhile.
Support has never been an issue for Borderlands. They are, or at least were recently, still putting out Shift codes for the previous games. Heck, BL2 even got some free DLC a couple months ago (to tie it into BL3). I did want to play that prior to starting BL3 but was not able to get to it.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Helpful hint if you're going to farm something. Create a second character and double your money and Eridium since when you pick it up on one character the other gets it as well. Also if your Group Mode is set to Cooperation that should be double chances to get a Legendary (assuming the alt character is of the same level to make that useful).

The alt character is also helpful to transfer all your money to before a boss fight so if you die you lose nothing.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I got an Infinity pistol to drop. I forgot those were in the game. They aren't quite as OP with no amp damage (RIP Bee Shield) but still fun to mess around with since you'll never run out of ammo. It would have been nice if it was an element other than Radiation but I suppose it could have been worse and have been Cryo.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I think I'm done with this game, but we'll see if I end up changing my mind. Way too many things I don't like about it, and I think in general I've just come to the realization that I'm mostly over games where much of the value is in infinitely grinding for better shit.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Nothing wrong with that. I'd probably at least finish the campaign but that's me.

Even more annoying are the bugs. I put 14 items into the bank on Sanctuary and I went back and now there are 0 there. Thanks, Gearbox! Sure glad I farmed all that shit for nothing. This seems to be a fairly common issue so I might take a break for awhile until they fix that as I have no more room to put shit. I suppose I could create 3 other characters but that's kludgy since then you have to remember who has what.

They learned nothing from BL2, or BL1 for that matter, where everyone was complaining about the pitiful backpack/bank space. You put out a game that has hundreds of unique Legendary items, as well as "BILLIONS!" of other guns, yet you give us 90 spots total, 50 of which are shared among all characters on the account, in which to keep them? I'm sure they will increase it somewhat when UVHM comes out but that's a shitty solution. They may have taken the "More Borderlands" thing a little too literally. Even Destiny 2 learned from their mistakes in that regard.

While I like the game I'd have to say that Borderlands 4 will definitely not be a day one purchase for me unless they get their act together and fix the issues that have been plaguing this series from the beginning. "More Borderlands!" is no longer a selling point for me going forward.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: Even more annoying are the bugs. I put 14 items into the bank on Sanctuary and I went back and now there are 0 there.
PC is the place to play! Make a backup of your profile in the saves (that's where your shared bank inventory, and gold keys are stored)

I agree about the bugs. The game is entertaining though. Won't see BL4 for 4-5 years so no need to worry about the next one for awhile. From what I understand, the guy behind Borderlands is a total douche so that's a shame.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:PC is the place to play! Make a backup of your profile in the saves (that's where your shared bank inventory, and gold keys are stored)
PS4 is where it's at! The platform isn't the problem it's the shitty code. People shouldn't have to be doing workarounds. And in typical Gearbox fashion the things that benefit the players are nerfed before the fixes that would benefit the players are implemented.

Luckily it wasn't any Legendaries (that I can remember) but it was all pretty good Epic items. Best of the best!

BL3 did pretty well in initial sales so I'd be surprised if they waited as long to release BL4. My prediction is Fall 2022. Early 2023 at the latest.

I started on a new character last night just to get 40 more inventory spots. Another annoyance... Unskippable cut scenes. You have to go through the whole Marcus story, bar fight, bus ride thing every single time you want to start another character. I didn't time it but it's probably a good 8-10 minutes before you actually get in control of your character.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
BL3 did pretty well in initial sales so I'd be surprised if they waited as long to release BL4. My prediction is Fall 2022. Early 2023 at the latest.
I bet it's longer. First BL came out in 2009, BL2 2012, BL3 2019. The trend for this (and other non Assassins Creed once a month games) is longer periods between release dates.

Games seem to be taking longer. GTA series is ridiculous.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well I doubt they started working on Borderlands 3 in 2012 since they had that stinker Battleborn that was released in 2016. I don't think Gearbox is big enough to have two main games in full production at the same time. So my guess is that after Borderlands 3 they switched to Battleborn then in late 2015 once that was getting close to being finished most everyone moved over to Borderlands 3. So that's only 4 years. If they really did have 7 years to work on Borderlands 3 wtf did they spend all the time on? Engine is probably updated but mostly the same, UI is for the most part the same, mechanics mostly the same with some refinements...

Not to mention the Presequel in 2014. Sure it wasn't done by Gearbox proper but I'm sure it was thrown out there to satisfy the fans for "more Borderlands" although I never played it. The oxygen mechanic sounded dumb.

So while 3 years may be too optimistic I'm going to stick with 4 or less. So check back with this thread in Oct 2023 and we'll see who had the better prediction.

Oh and AC hasn't been once a month for awhile now. If you're going with that criticism you should lob it at shooters like Call of Duty that come out annually. The last AC game was a year ago and they haven't announced another one yet. I'd predict ~E3 time for an announcement and fall 2020 for release.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Borderlands 3 was released last month, and as it turns out, some of its bosses were a bit too strong. Developer Gearbox Software issued a hotfix on Oct. 3 to nerf three Borderlands 3 bosses, Gigamind; Katagawa Ball; and Billy the Anointed — the last of which was really a drag.

Here’s the breakdown: Gigamind’s health has been reduced “slightly,” while Katagawa Ball won’t have regenerative shields. “We found that while players contended with the adds during the fight, it would unfairly regenerate its shield, negating the players’ progress,” Gearbox wrote in the patch notes. For Billy the Anointed, Gearbox removed 25 percent of his health. Players have been complaining about Billy the Anointed since the game’s release — calling him “awful,” “bullshit,” and just, in general, really hard. The developer agreed with players that “this fight dragged on needlessly,” and with 25 percent less health, at least the (still hard) fight will be less of a struggle.
Basically the same three I had issues with. Along with KaV with the floor problem but they fixed that earlier. I didn't have much issues with Gigamind but I did have to cheese it by running down the stairs so it took a long time.

Having said that, these are pretty lazy fixes. Instead of tweaking the cheap teleporting mechanic just make it so you don't have to do it quite as long by reducing boss health? Lazy! But better than nothing I suppose. I don't think the shields were my main problem with disco ball either although I did think they were bullshit. I'd probably still have to cheese it by hiding in the corner.

I am working on getting a third character to Sanctuary now. Yeah, I'm a sucker but need those 40 additional inventory spaces! I'm not playing it as nearly as heavy as I was the first week though.

--