The Official PS5 thread!

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The Official PS5 thread!

Post by Aslanna »

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM SONY'S NEXT-GEN PLAYSTATION

Mark Cerny spilling the beans!

Not too many details at this point:
- Improved CPU/GPU (duh)
- 8k support
- New 3D audio
- SSD (speedy!)
- Will support physical media
- Backwards compatibility with PS4
- Supports existing PSVR (Don't need to invest in new hardware although I'm sure a PSVR 2.0 is planned)
- Not releasing in 2019 (I've always predicted November 2020)
Sony won’t cop to exact details about the SSD—who makes it, whether it utilizes the new PCIe 4.0 standard—but Cerny claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs
Poor PCs.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: The Official PS5 thread!

Post by Winnow »

Too bad the options will probably be either high res streaming from the cloud or high end PCs. Existing PSVR is ancient so I suppose that's nice for those that like nostalgia but Sony better have a much much better PSVR 2.0 in the works. I saw somewhere that PS5 would support ray tracing...that's interesting because even the $800+ 2080 card struggles to get 30 FPS on the handful of games out there. Sounds like a gimmick is PS5 includes it.

No chance in hell PS5 will handle 8K save for some sort of limited upscaling.

Streaming now handles backwards compatibility except for the few people that haven't figured out the digital age yet.

It comes down to the few exclusives Sony will have which are getting fewer and farther between each year as Microsoft sucks up gaming companies.

While Sony has dudes playing flutes on stage at their E3 putting fans to sleep (when they bother to show up at all), Microsoft is doing cool shit like this.

Much like KPOP has overtaken JPOP, Sony's next on the list for falling behind.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Microsoft And Sony Announce Vague Cloud Gaming Partnership

Microsoft said today that it will partner with Sony, its chief rival in the gaming console space, on “new cloud-based solutions for gaming experiences.” It’s unclear what exactly the new collaboration will ultimately lead to, but the move is still a surprising one given that the companies’ Xbox and PlayStation console lines are market competitors.

“Under the memorandum of understanding signed by the parties, the two companies will explore joint development of future cloud solutions in Microsoft Azure to support their respective game and content-streaming services,” Microsoft said in its press release. “In addition, the two companies will explore the use of current Microsoft Azure datacenter-based solutions for Sony’s game and content-streaming services.”

In other words, it’s entirely possible that PlayStation 5 might feature cloud gaming powered by Microsoft Azure, and beyond that, Sony and Microsoft might pool their resources to create a customized streaming solution that would be used by both Xbox and PlayStation.

“Excited about the opportunities ahead with Sony for us to pursue our mutual gaming ambitions and delight players around the world,” the head of Xbox, Phil Spencer, tweeted about the news.

The move comes hot on the heels of Google’s entrance into the game console market with its cloud-only platform Stadia. The move could be prompted by the console business’ entrenched players looking to team up to better defend themselves against Google. (Sony did not immediately respond to a request for comment. A spokesperson for Microsoft declined to provide further comment.)

Beyond that, it’s far from clear what this will mean for gamers. The language of the announcement is vague, and a memorandum of understanding isn’t necessarily legally binding. While it’s a statement of intent, it might not end up leading to anything significant.

Last October, Microsoft announced Project xCloud, a video game streaming service aimed at making Xbox One games playable across computers, phones, and tablets. Meanwhile, Sony already has PlayStation Now, a service that allows people to stream games to a PS4 or PC. It originally seemed like these services would be competitors. That still could be the case. However, this new collaboration also means they could in the future share some of the same technological DNA.

“Our mission is to seamlessly evolve [the PlayStation platform] as one that continues to deliver the best and most immersive entertainment experiences, together with a cloud environment that ensures the best possible experience, anytime, anywhere,” Kenichiro Yoshida, president and CEO of Sony, said in the press release. “For many years, Microsoft has been a key business partner for us, though of course the two companies have also been competing in some areas. I believe that our joint development of future cloud solutions will contribute greatly to the advancement of interactive content.”
Looks like Microsoft found a way to make money off of Sony! Seems like effort to counter Stadia which looks to be a solid streaming service.

Sony should just give in and partner with behemoth Microsoft and they can combine to produce the "Sony X-Box" or "Microsoft Playstation"....or "Playstation X"

At least Sony saw the writing on the wall and partnered with Sony for streaming. No way they would have had the capability themselves. In return for use of their cloud services, Sony's "exclusives" will be available on X-Box 8)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

A Deeper Look at the PlayStation 5. A few more details but nothing really new other than the name and release date. Two things most people already predicted.

The name will be Playstation 5 (duh. keep it simple unlike some other companies out there) and will release holiday 2020 (also a duh).

A rendering based on what the current dev kit looks like (assuming it doesn't red-x).. Dev kit doesn't mean final look so I will reserve judgement for now!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Same lame "crab hands" controller layout confirmed!

They emphasize the SSD a lot but that's a no brainer. We've had that for years on the PC and the new Xbox will have it as well.

Ray Tracing, etc. Already have that on the PC if you have a newer graphics card.

I bought PS consoles (mostly so I can complain about them!) and Xbox consoles day one up to this generation. I may do so again even though I haven't used my consoles for years with the sole exception of Persona 5.

So far, it appears neither PS5 or Xbox Best will have VR headsets at launch. Both have been mentioned to have them in the works. If one of the two turns out to have a compelling VR solution I will probably buy it but the Oculus Quest, now that you can connect it to a PC (starting in November with simple USB-C cable) and play all power intensive VR games as well as use it wireless for the rest of the games and media, is a very nice $399 package.

I have an Nvidia 2070 and 5.5 TB worth of SSD storage on my PC. The best solution may be to just spend a few thousand on my PC. Maybe one of the new under $1K 18 core Intel chips coming out next month, new motherboard and probably time for a new case that actually has working fans and doesnt weigh 50 pounds like the Antec 180 I 've had forever.

PS5/Xbox Best is still a good option for those that don't have, or don't want to invest the time to build a nice PC.

Xbox 360 was still way ahead of it's time focused on downloads instead of hard copy games. Everything has moved in that direction, Games, Movies, Streaming, etc etc. When it comes to online (Xbox Live, networks, cross play etc,) Microsoft has always been ahead of Sony. We'll have to see what game streaming solutions they both offer this next generation.

One thing is for sure. The Xbox controller will still be the best! (not even counting the way better Xbox Elite controllers)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Do you ever read your posts before (or after) you submit them? This is more rambling than a Trump tweet.

Not only that but this is a PS5 thread. Why leave a post that is 75% Xbox/PC related?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

That rant was created on a PC!

Nice to see Sony filing patents for a wireless headset solution:

https://www.gamesradar.com/a-playstatio ... r-headset/

Hope they don't skimp on the controllers, have inside out tracking etc. Also hope they don't feel the need to stick with the controller layout on their VR controllers like they feel the need to stick with their ancient 2D focused pad/joystick layout on their console controllers. (Apple is now welling Microsoft Xbox Controllers for their new Arcade...because Xbox joystick controllers are designed for a 3D world that we've had for 20 years now)

Not sure if Sony realizes the evolution of VR equipment is much much faster than the 6 year console releases. They are using WWII technology snow cone controllers that are older that even the first VR headset right now. If they put out a decent VR headset but try to make it a budget one, they'll be unbelievably far behind the tech curve 3-4 years from now.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sony lands patent for a new PlayStation controller design

Looks like paddles will be on PS5 controller. Now all they need to do is switch their joystick layout that they've known is better for 3D/FPS games the past 15 years yet made their users suffer over their need for aesthetics.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

PlayStation 5 Is Reportedly in Serious Trouble

The report begins by noting the collective feeling in the developer community is that Sony has dropped the ball, partially because it underestimated Microsoft and the Xbox Series X. And this is why -- by certain measurements -- the PS5's specs are considerably inferior to the specs of the Xbox Series X. According to this new rumor, the PS5 can't maintain its clock speeds, which is causing severe overheating problems, which in turn is causing the hardware to fail at an alarming rate. Further, the lack of power is also apparently leading to optimization issues. While the Xbox Series X is reliable in terms of the power it provides, the PS5 is unpredictable, which in turn makes optimization very challenging.

The claim wraps up by noting Sony is contemplating a six to twelve month delay in order to make adjustments to the console, but also notes it's considering launching what it has in order to match the release of the Xbox Series X, which would lead to a redesign coming later down the road.
This came from a comic book web site so not that reliable but I have a few thoughts about the next gen consoles and why Sony may have trouble.

1. That heap full of cash Microsoft has actually matters, especially in a recession and the extraordinary situation the world is currently in. Sony is has more invested in entertainment. Playstation/movies, etc. Microsoft makes their money from the cloud these days (even Sony is a customer). They have a ridiculous amount of liquid assess with Apply probably the the only company in the ballpark. Sony's biggest money maker is it's camera sensors but the cell phone market is in a downturn as well.

A prolonged COVID-19 stoppage in the entertainment industry I think will severely impact Sony while not so much Microsoft.

2. Never like to hear about overheating issues. It's especially a concern from the weaker console since it will be struggling to match performance. I built my new PC with no OC'ing and sleep better at night knowing I'm not constantly stressing my components, and have a quieter place.

This COVID-19 business sucks. A lot of people (highest unemployment since the great depression) have other things to worry about than buying a new console.

I do think Sony could be in for a very ugly next year or two. It's not like they're alone in that department but Microsoft certainly is in a extremely better position to ride out the storm. I'd even suggest that at some point Microsoft potentially could buy Sony but I don't think Japanese companies can be bought.

It might be best for Sony to delay its console a year if the overheating/lack of performance is a real issue. On the flip side though, I don't know how anyone still plays on the current generation consoles compared to current PC performance. I am really glad Microsoft offers their XBox games on both PC and Console. Even in this area, Microsoft is in a better position to ride out the storm as those that want the best can still get it using a PC if the next gen consoles are delayed.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

"considerably inferior" lol ok.

I really don't know why your identity is so tied to certain products. Everything you choose has to "win" and everything you don't choose is garbage and the companies should go bankrupt and all their employees should be executed.

You're surely what, 50 years old by now? It might be time to grow up. Enjoy the things you enjoy and ignore the rest. That's what I am doing.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Microsoft doesn't have to win. Sony could redesign their controller to be in tune with the 21st century and figure out that cross platform is important to people and that they could make money selling their games on PC as well...maybe then I'd overlook the flutes.

I've kind of disliked Sony ever since the late 80's. I used to buy their camcorders, Receivers etc until I figured out they sucked. Lately they tend to annoy me with their inability to change and stick to their traditions, including their controllers to the detriment of gamers.

I'm a PC gamer so I lean toward Microsoft because they have their act together when it comes to PC gaming. If I only gamed on consoles, the decision would be more difficult.

It's also easy to see that Microsoft has made some pretty big strides over the past few years with it's hardware and is working on it's thankfully non console exclusive gaming titles.

Sony is a douchebag company much in the same way Apple is with their walled garden.

If I didn't have a PC and was going to buy a console next gen, right now, it would be the Xbox Series. At the moment it seems more powerful, better built and with a better controller. Every time you pick up and play a game on the PS, just remember your two thumbs jammed close together is purely for aesthetics and has nothing to do with optimization for 3D gaming.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sony announced their PS5 controller.

Visually it looks nice. More rounded like an Xbox Controller and also colored more like an XBox controller. Joysticks still in same place though.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... t-hardware
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Preview of the upcoming Unreal Engine 5 running on PS5. Looking good! Things sure have come far since the days of Space Invaders and Asteroids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC5KtatMcUw

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Wow that's the ugliest console yet!

https://kotaku.com/the-ps5-does-not-loo ... 1844002748

Size comparison:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/new ... x-and-ps4/

That thing is huge.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Some like it. Some don't. Thanks for letting us know what camp you are in. As if there was ever any doubt.

I like it but I would have been getting it regardless of what it looked like. I'll be getting it day one. Or trying to, anyway.

The only surprise to me was the digital version. I was sure that would be a Microsoft move. Which it probably still will be but Sony beat them to it.

Now the wait to see who goes first on announcing the pricing. MS obviously wants Sony to go first so they can undercut the PS5. I'd say $100 would be a safe bet simply because MS has the bankroll to eat that loss (and the real money is in games, peripherals, and services). But if they don't have to undercut, depending on where the PS5 is priced, that would be even better for them. But also the 'Series X' is the more powerful version so they can't make it too cheap as then there will be no incentive for people to get the inevitable 'Series S'. Either way I'm going to say the Series X will be $500 regardless of how much MS will initially lose on each console.

PS5 is the tougher one. I think there was the article a few months ago saying the production cost was around ~$450. Assuming they want to make a profit they'll set $500 for the digital version and $600 for the disc version. But then people say $600 is suicide for a console and I'm 100% positive Sony doesn't want the whole "Five hundred and ninety nine US dollars" fiasco again so they will be staying away from $600. I know people don't like numbers not in increments of $100 but I'd say $450/$550 is a safer bet.

However if that $450 production cost was with a drive, maybe removing it can get it down to $400 and the disc version comes in at $500.

It should be interesting! I'm glad I'm not in charge of pricing these things. With the tech in each of them I'd personally say $600 isn't an unreasonable amount to ask for them.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: June 13, 2020, 4:34 am I like it but I would have been getting it regardless of what it looked like. I'll be getting it day one. Or trying to, anyway.
You can't be serious. How could anyone like the look of that thing? I understand still buying it because of being locked into the playstation ecosystem but no way you look at that thing and think, yeah, that's awesome looking!

It's going to be tough going for both companies selling these if the economy takes a downturn again. I think this rebound is temporary.

I really don't get the stupid look for the PS5. Comment after comment are, "do they not know that a lot of their fanbase are adults and are trying to integrate this into their living room decor?" Microsoft gets that. A plain black cube-look is a great design as long as it has the cooling which it does. Microsoft has come a long ways in internal/external hardware design. There have already been rumors that the underpowered PS5 runs hot, trying to closer match the new XBox.

I doubt I'll buy either, especially day one. I don't see a reason to. The handful of exclusives on the PS5 aren't worth it and thankfully Microsoft allows their games to be played on a PC which is more powerful anyway.

I suppose I'll wait and see what both companies bring to the table when it comes to their next VR offerings.

I do think Microsoft is in a much better position this generation to ride out rough times and appeal to the adult gamers that don't want a cheap looking router sitting in their living rooms. I mean really, that looked like it took effort to make it that ugly. And it's huge on top of that.

I don't see a reason for a blu-ray drive anymore. Microsoft has guaranteed created a non blu ray version since they pioneered reliable online gaming and digital downloads while Sony resisted, and still resisted cross platform gaming that most people want.

Ultimately, Sony's business is tied more to entertainment than Microsofts (movies/gaming), even Sony's phone camera business will be hurting with the downturn in phone sales. Sony pays Microsoft for the use of their cloud.

The Witcher is the only game I'm looking forward to and that's on PC.

Sony is lucky it has a fan base to sell to. If this was year one of consoles with what's being offered, Sony's only hope would be that their one Marvel character that they desperately hang onto keeps doing well at the box office (if people ever return to the theaters)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Wow, I could have sworn this was the PS5 thread and not the Xbox thread. If you want to fanboy out about Microsoft there is a thread for that.

There are just as many comments, if not more, that like the look of the PS5. If you don't, great. You don't have to buy it. Not like you were going to anyway so it doesn't matter what it looks like.
Whatever that means. Witcher has been out for years. Good job. In your haste to dunk on the PS5 you don't even know what games are coming out. I can only assume you meant Cyberpunk 2077.

I gave a thoughtful response, without bashing MS or Xbox, and all you have to offer is your usual passive-aggressive bullshit.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: June 15, 2020, 12:44 am
Whatever that means. Witcher has been out for years. Good job. In your haste to dunk on the PS5 you don't even know what games are coming out. I can only assume you meant Cyberpunk 2077.
I was blinded by the ugliness of the PS5! No way the look of the PS5 is appealing except maybe to a freshman architect student that loves abstract art. Heat up some plastic to its melting point and whatever it ends up looking like will be our new console!

Cyberpunk 2077 is indeed the only game I'm looking forward to.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hadn't seen a picture of the PS5 and awhile and ran across an article about it. Man that thing is ugly! An entire industry will rise up creating furniture and coverings to hide that thing from view.

If this was the look of the new X-Box, I would freely admit to how fucking ugly it is. It's out of the ordinary hideous.

If you're one of Sony's preferred fanbois, Sony might invite you to pay them for one early:

https://www.engadget.com/playstation-5- ... 25941.html?

It looks like they got a great deal on rectangle top and bottom pieces because they were warped during manufacturing and then decided to slap those on a totally different rounded design for the body of the console. It looks like a broken discarded console from a failed Nintendo preschool game console project circa the 80's.

Sony's incredibly slow process of adopting the shape of the X-Box controller is almost there. No idea why they didn't at least offer an alternative controller with the way more sensible joystick layout that the Xbox has had from day 1. Doesn't seem they have gamers best interest in mind, more like they just want it to look pleasing to the eye.

Yep, all that annoyance from simply seeing the console/controller in that article again!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The PS5 is 0.0105 cubic meters (0.371 cu. ft.)and the Xbox is 0.0069 cubic meters (0.243 cu. ft.), so the PS5 takes up significantly more volume of space.
The PlayStation 5 is 390mm x 104mm x 260mm. That is...big, especially when you compare it to the Xbox Series X, which is 301mm x 151mm x 151mm. That makes the PlayStation 5 not only significantly “taller” than Microsoft’s console when both are standing vertically, but almost twice as “deep” as well.
God Damn The PS5 Is Enormous - Kotaku

Even Sony fans are complaining about this thing.

Also read Sony cut production estimates for end of year by 4 million units because they aren't able to get good chipset yields...I wonder if they're letting marginal ones slide by to they can get some units. Maybe the first batch will be lessor quality than later production consoles. Prepare for shortages. I hope they designed the insides better than they designed the outside.

Random guy:
I have a single cubby in my TV stand that contains an Xbox One, a Wii U, a Steam Link, and all the miscellaneous streaming boxes. This is literally too big to fit in it.
From The Verge:

Confirmed: The PS5 is the biggest game console in modern history - Oh my god
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

If someone finds the console too big or ugly they don't have to buy it. Problem solved!

Anyway, some places have already put it up for pre-order but good luck getting one. They sold out in minutes. Or however long it took for people to checkout with the sites being hammered.

$400 for Digital
$500 for Disc version

Pretty much as expected by most people.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I couldn't possibly care less what the fucking console looks like, it's a machine to play games that I stuff in a shelf; it's not a designer outfit. As much as it pains me to post this for the resident troll to latch onto, I'm less than amused with Sony. They explicitly stated that exactly what happened with pre orders wouldn't happen. I also never got an email from them for a pre order... I know you were just signing up for a chance, but I have to be in a high tier of length subscribed and money spent on PSN, so I'd love to know what the parameters were.

Also, this has no impact on my decision, but I'm not sure why they made their half ass answer to game pass. Either match it (all games on it day one), or just don't do it at all. Their excuse of "it doesn't fit our business model because we make expensive games" is also fucking bullshit, because so does Microsoft. We all know the real answer is that they can't match GamePass because they can't afford to, and they should just say that.

I don't have a 4k TV anyway, and none of these things are really in the budget for me, and even if they were, I'm not going to spam refresh on a site to find out when 10 more consoles go up for pre order. Oh well, I'll get one at some point.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

No idea why some people are flipping out about the size and making such a huge deal over it. Well.. I have some ideas...

PS5
Width: 15.35 inches
Depth: 10.23 inches
Height: 4.1 inches

PS4 Pro
Width: 11,6 inches
Depth: 12.9 inches
Height: 2.17 inches

So less than 4 inches wider and 2 inches taller than the Pro which I wouldn't consider to be a large console.. OMG THE WORLD IS ENDING THAT"S SO FUCKING HUUUGE! GRAVITATIONAL FIELDS ARE COLLAPSING I CAN"T BELIEVE HOW BIG THAT CONSOLE IS!

I don't have a 4k display either but I'd still like to get a PS5 just for the other benefits. I'm not hitting F5 over and over waiting for them to be available so if I get one pre-ordered great.. If not, well.. They're not going anywhere. I've barely turned on a console in the past 6 months so it's mostly FOMO rather than any sort of actual need for the thing. Everyone wants new and shiny!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Man, you people really should get 4K displays. That's nuts. I've had a 55" 4K TV sitting about 4 feet from me for a few years now and it's been glorious.

You can make excuses all day long, but the PS5 is fugly and huge. If it was fugy and huge because it was more powerful than the Xbox X, I'd understand a little, but it's fugly, huge and weak compared to the more sleek and efficient Xbox X.

The launch of the PS5 looks like a mess. Shitty preparation for pre-orders, shortages due to crappy chipset yields, and who knows why they designed it so ugly, better hope they at least made it quiet and efficient like the Xbox X was designed. Microsoft designed their console around it's cooling and still managed to make it 100 times better looking that the PS5.

That all said, the new RTX 3080 destroys these two new consoles in power. If aslanna is so interested in that since the "gimped xbox s" series doesnt meet standards, you should be buying a 3080 and for god's sake, get a 4K TV. It used to be when new consoles were released they'd be at least somewhat comparable to PCs and then would quickly fall behind. This generation, they are already 3 times less powerful. My ancient PC before my new build was more powerful.

Sony is barely hanging on to a handful of "exclusive" games. Xbox X or PC gaming and Game Pass is the better choice for any other reason than a few exclusives and being dazzled by their marketing dept.
Last edited by Winnow on September 18, 2020, 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

oops double post! You used to be able to delete a post in the past!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

1) "fugly" and "huge" are subjective. Many people think none of those apply to the PS5. If you're not one of them whatever. It's not a big surprise Winnow can't grasp simple concepts like that.

2) You do realize that Walmart was the source of all the pre-order mess, don't you? They went early.. All the other retailers followed suit. Sony had nothing to do with that. (As far as we know)
Walmart tweeted at 6:53pm (Wednesday) that it wasn’t waiting (until Thursday). “Make you wait to get the new #PlayStation5? Nah, that’s not like us,” reads Walmart’s tweet. “Go on, preorder it NOW!”
3) Re: RTX 3080 comment. What? That doesn't apply to consoles so won't be addressed here by me. But you can't deny the Series S is "gimped" when compared to the Series X. If you do then you're blind. And possibly brain damaged. Regardless, that has nothing to do with a PC graphics card but not a shock coming from scatter-brained Winnow.

4) Buy whatever console you want. Or none of them. It's your money so who cares? Why are you trying to justify your Microsoft/Xbox love here? At least when I told people if they were going to buy an Xbox then at least choose the X over the S. I was providing a public service. You're just shitting over everything. As usual.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

My only takeaway from this thread is that two of you don't have 4K TVs yet. It's the 2020's! Get with it! Just about every (good) show is in 2160p now. While I don't have cable, all the shows and movies I download are mostly 2160p (3840×2160). Yes, it does make a difference in quality.

Just some friendly pirate advice. Use this site. It's awesome:

https://hdencode.com/
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I just don't use my TV enough these days to bother with it. And I'm lucky if I can find the shows that do interest me in 1080p much less anything higher than that.

Maybe with the new consoles, and if I pick up a 3080 next year (those also sold out in like 2 minutes so that must mean Nvidia sucks!), I'd be more inclined to upgrade. But even then I think I'd stick with 1400p for now since that's the most my monitor supports.

But I do plan on upgrading the 2 remaining 1080p 24"s to at least 1440p. I already have a 27" 1440p on the way (someday Dell will decide to deliver it) so that will only leave one. I am trying to decide if I'm going to replace that with another ultrawide or not. But, that leaves a lot of pixels to push so I am not sure how happy the 1070Ti will be.

The 3080 does seem a pretty good upgrade in performance over what I have now. The 3070 may not be that bad either but for $200 more? May as well go for the 3080. Just like for $200 more people should go for the Series X.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Everyone has their preferences which is fine. For me, two 4K 55" monitors (three if I get around to replacing my third 46" monitor) is amazing. I leave one monitor at 100 percent scale but do scale up windows to 150% to better read text for my web browsing 55" monitor. At that scale, two full sized web browsing windows side by side work great. The 46" is mostly used as a command center for file manager and other utility apps etc.

Viewing images (comics, pdfs etc) on the 4K 55" 4 feet from me is ridiculously awesome. You don't need portrait mode with that large a screen and side by side / 2 page view works great. You'll notice immediately how tiny old images are with a 1920x1080 image only taking up a quarter of the screen. Thankfully Honeyview image viewer (and plenty of others but that's the best viewer) scales up images, but you do start to appreciate high res images that are amazeballs at full resolution and then you can zoom in even more.

One example of a strength of this setup is watching NFL ticket. I watch 4 games in quad box (all 1920x1080) on one monitor and then either one game in full screen on the other 55" or the NFL Redzone channel. Of course you could do that without the monitors being 4 feet away but with my 1000mbps internet connection I can stream all 5 videos at a high bitrate. 55" I think is as big as I can go for this setup.

I've mentioned before that using large monitors 4 feet away allows me to to not have to use reading/computer glasses to see them. Anything closer and old person natural presbyopia kicks in...although even now, using some blue light blocking computer glasses is kind of nice and easier on the eyes. BTW, that's the great thing about VR headsets. Even with the screen an inch from your face you are using your far-sight vision which I still have 20/20 from lasek years back. It's amazing to look at something close up an inch from your eyes which is impossible to do in real life (at older ages). VR is actually better than the real world in that sense. VR basically removes presbyopia because your eyes are always on infinite focus as if you were looking off in the distance. Best example is hold your phone 2 inches from your face, if you are 40+ most likely you can't see shit and it's a blurry mess. In VR hold your virtual phone an inch from your face and it's crystal clear because your eyes arent trying to zoom in, your focus always remains the same no matter what distance.

/hijack off
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote: September 16, 2020, 9:26 pmAlso read Sony cut production estimates for end of year by 4 million units because they aren't able to get good chipset yields...I wonder if they're letting marginal ones slide by to they can get some units. Maybe the first batch will be lessor quality than later production consoles. Prepare for shortages.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet... But you will anyway. At least the things that fit with your warped narrative.

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20200917PD211.html
Claims about TSMC having yield rates issues with its 7nm process manufacturing AMD chips for Sony's PlayStation 5 (PS5) games console are highly questionable, according to sources from Taiwan's semiconductor supply chain.
https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20200917PD205.html
Backend houses have seen smooth progress in packaging customized SoCs for Sony's PS5 and yield rates at the foundry partner are also steady, with shipment goal set by the vendor for the next-genration games console likely remaining unchanged...
https://www.gamesradar.com/sony-reporte ... ion-units/
In a statement sent to GamesIndustry, Sony emphatically denied reports that PS5 production has been cut by some four million units due to chip shortages.

"While we do not release details related to manufacturing, the information provided by Bloomberg is false," Sony says. "We have not changed the production number for PlayStation 5 since the start of mass production."

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

"While we do not release details related to manufacturing, the information provided by Bloomberg is false," Sony says. "We have not changed the production number for PlayStation 5 since the start of mass production."
Maybe they cut production estimates even before production started! "Since the start of production" If they were getting crappy test yields that would make sense. My quote doesnt say they cut production after production started. Sneaky verbiage by Sony!

I would have dismissed this but you provided three references. Nice job!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I got my PS5 pre-ordered thanks to the "invite" by Sony. It was a relatively painless process: Wait in a queue and then order your shit. Why can't places like Best Buy and Gamestop figure this out? Although to be fair Gamestop did put me in a "queue". But when it refreshed they said they were all out of stock so.. That's pretty fucking useless.

I wonder how many consoles Sony are keeping for themselves and how many they are releasing to retailers... Not that I care. Due to being a PS+ member I got free shipping and hopefully a release date delivery. So fuck places like Walmart who broke pre-order release dates. Go out of business for all I care!

(Although who am I kidding. Unfortunately Walmart will never go out of business. We can always dream though!)

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Aslanna wrote: September 25, 2020, 7:39 pm I got my PS5 pre-ordered thanks to the "invite" by Sony. It was a relatively painless process: Wait in a queue and then order your shit. Why can't places like Best Buy and Gamestop figure this out? Although to be fair Gamestop did put me in a "queue". But when it refreshed they said they were all out of stock so.. That's pretty fucking useless.

I wonder how many consoles Sony are keeping for themselves and how many they are releasing to retailers... Not that I care. Due to being a PS+ member I got free shipping and hopefully a release date delivery. So fuck places like Walmart who broke pre-order release dates. Go out of business for all I care!

(Although who am I kidding. Unfortunately Walmart will never go out of business. We can always dream though!)

I got caught up in that GameStop queue. I only check occasionally anyhow. I don't HAVE to get it right away. I have a PS4 that mainly gets used for DVD/Blu Ray. Guess I haven't really spent as much time playing at all really. lol
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Boogahz wrote: September 28, 2020, 8:32 pmI got caught up in that GameStop queue. I only check occasionally anyhow. I don't HAVE to get it right away. I have a PS4 that mainly gets used for DVD/Blu Ray. Guess I haven't really spent as much time playing at all really. lol
I get that.. I haven't played anything on my PS4 for about 6 months ever since getting sucked back into Destiny 2 (on Steam). It's not something I needed but wanted to get anyway. I would have been fine waiting 6 months. I won't be playing any PS5 games at launch anyway until they go on sale. $70? No thanks! I'm mostly hoping that the PS4 games I have, like BL3, run better.

Although BL3 will have a PS5 upgrade but it's not at launch.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sony Is Changing The Confirm And Cancel Buttons In Japan And Folks Aren't Happy

In the West, the X button has long been the PlayStation’s button to confirm selections, actions, and more. But, ever since the original PlayStation went on sale in Japan in 1994, there the circle button has been the action button. That is going to change.

Famitsu and AV Watch are reporting that in Japan the PlayStation 5's DualSense controller will change its action button from circle to X to bring the region into global uniformity with the international market. A Sony spokesperson explained that the decision was made to avoid different button settings across countries, as well as easing the burden for developers.
Wow, Sony getting with the times! Gotta admit, I always did hate having to switch confirm/cancel on games in Final Fantasy etc.

Now they need to update the position of their joysticks to be better suited for 3D instead of 2D platfomers!

Kotoku posted reactions to it from Japan:
“What a pain in the ass.”

“For Japan, do it Japanese style.”

“At last they’re making it uniform? Japan has been defeated.”

“Change foreign games. Foreign games did this on their own accord.”

“This helps me because I always get them confused (when playing foreign games).”

“One less reason to buy the PS5.”

“This really confuses Japanese people.”

“Well, internationally this is the standard. Up to now, Japan has been weird.”

“I’m totally gonna screw this up.”

“Yep, trash.”

“I’ll get used to this in five minutes.”

“More distain of Japan from fucking Sony.”

“I’m not buying a PlayStation anymore.”

“This is the same as on Windows.”

“This is hard to get my head around. Why not just move the buttons?”

“I’ll get used to this quickly.”

“Sony traitors.”

“Foreigners should become uniform with Japan.”

“Good news. This is just like with Steam.”

“I’m not going to get used to this.”

“If it’s the default, that can’t be helped, but make it so this can be changed in Settings.”

“They need to get rid of using the circle and the X buttons. Use ABCD. In Japan, circle means confirm.”

“This is discrimination.”

“The PS5 is made by a foreign company...?”

“I really hate this. X is cancel. Circle is confirm. They’re out of their minds.”

“This is a bullshit console.”

“Circle is confirm. X is cancel. This is easy to understand.”

“Proof that they’re looking at Japan as a small market.”

“I think X as confirm is good. I’ve gotten used to that through playing PC games, so now using circle as confirm feels strange.”

“Make circle confirm and X cancel. I do not care what’s done internationally.”

“I’ve been waiting for this.”

“It’s a Japanese console, so conform to Japan.”

“Stop fucking around.”

“If they keep it like this forever, I don’t care one way or the other.”

“But it’s a Japanese console...”

“This means that the circle on the Japanese flag is now ‘cancel.’”

“The first happy news of the year.”

“Well, that decides it. The PS5 is going to be a failure.”

“Things will be okay.”
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Meanwhile, in news that people actually care about... I'm surprised you didn't post something about FACEGATE while you were at it.

Here is a teardown of the PS5.Turn on captions unless you speak Japanese.

I didn't realize the storage was onboard. I do wonder what type (MLC, TLC, etc) it is though as I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.

Sony is very good at engineering and designing. Even the removable stand comes with a place to store the screw as well as a cap for the hole. Thoughtful!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: October 7, 2020, 11:10 am
Sony is very good at engineering and designing.
Oh man, I don't know about that, after the George Foreman grill and network router looking ps5?

I did see review (ill post on Xbox thread) that the series x base didnt seem removable but need to confirm that in case the guy just didnt know how.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote: October 8, 2020, 10:40 amI did see review (ill post on Xbox thread) that the series x base didnt seem removable but need to confirm that in case the guy just didnt know how.
It isn't. And looks not all that great when horizontal. But I let that out of my post because this is the PS5 thread and that was not relevant.

I'm working on being more positive but you keep doing your ole negativity routine.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

https://kotaku.com/ps5-designer-origina ... 1845625681
PS5 Designer Originally Wanted It To Be Even Bigger

Yes, you read that right.

The biggest console in modern gaming history started out even bigger when Sony senior art director Yujin Morisawa first put pen to paper. “In the beginning, when I started drawing, it was much larger even though I didn’t know what engineering was going to do,” Morisawa said in an interview with the Washington Post. “It’s kind of funny that engineering actually told me it’s too big. So, I actually had to shrink it down a little bit from the first drawing.”

At over a foot tall and weighing almost 15 lbs., the PS5 is enormous. Some might say even too big. Kotaku reviewer Ian Walker described the console’s outer shell as “bulbous” but not “so unwieldy as to completely dominate a room’s aesthetics.” Kotaku’s Mike Fahey called the PS5 “drunk” in his head-to-head comparison with the Xbox Series X. “I keep looking over at it, wincing, and shaking my head,” he wrote. Much internet ink has already been spilt referring to it as the Eye of Sauron.

“I tried to sculpt the invisible mass in between the player and the mechanical engineering,” Morisawa told the Post. “That’s how I describe it. There’s something in between hardware and the player, and that should be expressed.”

The PS5 is certainly expressing something.
Yujin Morisawa should be fired immediately.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

For something that didn't happen? Ok.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: November 10, 2020, 12:20 am For something that didn't happen? Ok.
It's already an ungodly sight so the fact that he wanted it even bigger shows lack of knowledge of what adult gamers prefer. You can sit there and say it doesn't matter to you but put out a non liberal biased poll and pretty sure you'd find most would prefer something closer to the Xbox Series X design. A few poor people might like PS5 design because it may actually be the centerpiece of their decor but otherwise most people will probably have a theme to their living room and don't want abstract art on display.
“I tried to sculpt the invisible mass in between the player and the mechanical engineering,” Morisawa told the Post. “That’s how I describe it. There’s something in between hardware and the player, and that should be expressed.”
What? That's far from an invisible mass! GTF out of here with that nonsense!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The man is a designer. He designs stuff. That's what he does. It's not his fault you don't like it. That's a personal problem for you to deal with.

I know this is hard for you to grasp, probably never having worked an actual job, but there's a thing called teamwork and iteration that happens between groups of people at a company. In this case Design and Engineering. You don't fire people based on the first thing they come up.

Since you are the one trying to prove something here how about you go out and conduct a poll. I'll wait for the results.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

5 million people were polled. The choice to fire him won by 17 points. Neutral poll similar to the election polls was conducted by XconsoleX Inc.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

A PlayStation 5 Event Held At An Ancient Japanese Shrine

But of course it is! This year they plan to have at least two flute players per PS5 console present at the event! Thousands of public safety arrests are planned as the flutists tear holes in their masks to blow their instruments!
In fact, in 2009, after I kept losing and accidentally ruining mobile phones, I got my new phone blessed at this shrine. Shintoism holds that nearly every object, animate or inanimate, has a spirit, and thus, can be blessed. This is why priests at Kanda Shrine bless gadgets for the devices’ well being.
The tech inside the PS5 is decent. I just hope people don't accidentally throw away their PS5s. To me, the PS5 has the look of an old tech gadget that you throw out in the trash during spring cleaning. If other's in the house aren't careful, they might mistake it for a late 90's device and chuck it in the trash. It should have a label: Warning! Made in 2020! This is our latest console!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Why do you keep posting this garbage? You don't like the PS5. We get it already.

You're an adult, physically if not mentally. The console war bullshit you keep polluting the thread with most people grow out of before they hit 20. Maybe you'll catch up to them eventually.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It's Wednesday, I was bored waiting for the Georgia recount.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Sure.. Good luck talking to yourself because I am done engaging you. I'll be sure to post a bunch of shit in the Xbox thread just because I want to be a douchebag like you.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It seems the PS5 is lacking both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos

The PS5's credentials as a streamer and Blu-ray player just took a big hit

If you're eyeing up the new PS5 as a movie player as well as a games machine, we've got bad news: it seems that it lacks support for both Dolby Vision video and Dolby Atmos sound.
Lame!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

"It seems".. Like this is new information or anything. People knew this MONTHS ago. Anyone acting surprised now is just a clickbait lameo.

It's only "bad news" if you care about that. Which nobody does.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This guy is a wide receiver for Baltimore Ravens. My preconceived impression of him was that he couldn't form a sentence being the cousin of well established retard Antonio Brown but he's actually quite articulate.

https://youtu.be/QtMzV73NAgk

He did a nice job of a PS5 unboxing. He really struggled to find anything good to say about the size and kept mentioning it but otherwise was impressed with it, especially the controller which was more Xbox like.