Persona 5

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Persona 5

Post by Winnow »

http://kotaku.com/persona-5-the-kotaku- ... 1793752909

Reviewer completed in 95 hours on normal mode.

Looks like a good one.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Persona 5

Post by Aslanna »

Another fine PlayStation exclusive for people to enjoy.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

P4G was one of my favorite games ever, and 5 looks to be an order of magnitude better!

It's at a 94 on Metacritic. A turn based Japanese RPG. I can't even remember the last time that happened... I'm so excited for this game, it's been torture knowing Japanese people have been playing it for almost a year.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Playstation has been killing it this year! Proof that 'Scorpio' wont change that at all.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The last hurrah for the PS4!

Sony prepping for a PC focused world with their Playstation Now service. Won't be needing a Sony console soon or, even better, if you can stream to the Scorpio that has PC power since it will be acting like a PC in console form. The best of both worlds. Scorpio will have the power to play high end 4K games and for the weaker PS4 games, can stream them to PC. Perfect!

If you go by hours played, I suppose the PS4 is better because those 95 hours would probably only be 90 hours on Xbox with no need to take claw hand breaks.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Whatever all that even means.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It means you hijacked another thread that someone started off with positive comments to make it about the console wars. Nice job!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

So... Like you do with every thread around here? Got it.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Where have I hijacked a thread immediately after someone started a positive thread about a game that they said looks good?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Oh. So there's a waiting period now? You make this shit up as you go along, don't you? I guess you have that in common with Trump too.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

You lose your job or something? Crabby!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm about 10 hours into this game.

It has the classic quirks of a JPRG so I'll get those out of the way first. (I like the game overall)

The game mechanics are still being introduced 10 hours into the game. Besides a short initial fight scene, it was 3-4 hours before I actually fought anything which is ok for a 90-100 hour game but expect a lot of dialog clicking. Thankfully, a lot of it is voice acted (English).

The game UI oozes with style but the movement is typical bad JPRG. The stealth mechanic is infuriating. The game allows you to sneak up on enemies but the camera flips around causing all sorts of havok which ends up getting you spotted before you attack sometimes.

It takes awhile to figure out where everything is on the map. The locations you buy/sell/train at are really spread out. That becomes less of a factor after about 10 hours, but there's limited time each day you can do things so you don't want to waste it going to the wrong locations.

Speaking of time. I lost several hours of game play due to a deadline in the game to complete a castle (dungeon). In brief, you have 14 game days to complete a certain objective. I managed my time and got to the end with 1 day remaining. But then there was one more step. So with 1 day left, I completed that part and went to bed (in game) expecting to complete in the next day. Instead, I got the game over screen. I had saved games over the past few hours but they were all on the 1 day remaining which made it impossible for me to complete the mission so I had to go like 4 saves back, 2.5 or so hours of game time to finish a day prior.

The problem I have with this is confusion over 1 days remaining actually being no days remaining, and letting me waste several hours and then ending the game after I end that day (with it being impossible to finish that day) is poor design. What should happen on the morning of day 1 is to end the game since no matter what you do it's impossible to complete the same day you "give notice" So, make sure you finish what you think you need to finish with 2 days remaining or you're screwed.

With that out of the way, the game is top notch for a JRPG. Soundtrack and look of the game are very nice.

The story is ok. Adult themes, teacher/student abuse/harassment, drugs (needles, etc), and a very perverted/distorted alternate reality world. Typical strange JRPG stuff like one mob shaped like the head of a penis, etc.

Leveling up is pretty automatic for your character along with your NPC companions but you have total control (if you want) over the NPC actions in your group. The "personas" you absorb are where the customization comes in. You can level and merge various personas to create new ones.

Worth getting as long as you like JRPG type games.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I love it. I would say the story is more than okay, the story in this (and past Persona games) deals with topics that video games usually steer far clear of. That's not to say it's good just because it takes those risks, it's good AND it takes those risks, which is what sets it above other games.

The stealth mechanics are probably my only complaint, but honestly now that I'm used to the quirks, I don't have much trouble with it anymore. This is also something that could be improved significantly with a patch, so hopefully something happens there.

The game over for the dungeon thing is what it is, and it isn't new (this is how it was in past Persona games). This isn't exactly a game they're going out of their way to make accessible, it's a niche game that's mostly for a crowd that is already familiar with it. With this in mind it's obviously a deliberate design decision and I'm fine with it. Essentially, depending on the difficulty you're playing on and how efficient you're trying to be, you want to set aside 3-5 days for each of the main dungeons. Personally, I just do the dungeon right away when it's open, then once I'm done with it I can spend the rest of the time carved out for that dungeon just doing whatever, and I don't feel rushed. For me, I cleared the dungeon in 2 days and the boss on the third, and I suspect that won't change going forward.

I never would have thought the kind of mundane stuff you spend a lot of your time doing in this game would interest me, but it turns out when it's done well, I like it a lot. If you like JRPG's at all I'd say you really shouldn't miss out on this game - for me it's very likely to end up being my GOTY.

I will say to be careful with shutting your console down without saving and exiting through the game menus. I fell asleep playing and missed some dialogue, which ended with me getting a wrong answer to a question a teacher asked me - I figured I'd been half asleep for the last hour or so since my last save so I just shut my console off. I logged in the next night and that save file I was playing on at the time is just completely gone - so I lost like 4 hours of gameplay. Just as a general rule though, you should be saving often and across several (I'm keeping 4 or so going at different points) saves, in case you get yourself into a corner or want to go about something differently.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Yeah, I plan to do the dungeons right away from now on. I was trying to do all of the other things (building relations, etc) but now I realize that if you blow through the dungeon, you have the rest of the time before the end of that dungeon counter to do the other things.

The best thing about the game is that most of it is voice acted. For me, that's important to get into the story.

For people new to Persona, I can imagine them wondering what the hell is going on for the first several hours as you aren't fighting anything. Takes a long time to develop. I didn't feel settled into the game for the first 5-6 hours.

You can wipe easy if you get like three Succubus and don't counter them possessing your team.

Keep brewing that coffee in the game! SP recovery is the hardest thing to obtain in this game (at least early on)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I've found a number of handy reference articles out there, but your comment on coffee made me think of this one. Several of the confidants have some game changing abilities in their higher/max ranks, so you may want to consider the order you focus on them (as leveling up the doctor for example, can net you 50% off of SP resto items, potentially freeing up time normally spent brewing coffee to do other stuff.) Getting the one ranked up that allows you to still use the rest of your night after going into a dungeon (instead of being forced to go straight to bed) will be huge, too - that one task at night over a long period of time adds up to a lot of things you can get done.

I've only gotten as far as clearing the first dungeon, and maybe a couple of days past that - I think am still around April 26th or so, so I've got a ways to go before I even meet most of the people. I'll probably play a mostly stress free play through the first time around (although there are a few things I'll still probably min/max) - then I'll likely play a second playthrough to get the rest of the trophies, etc. If this game is anything like the previous games, getting the platinum without using a guide/heavily relying on the internet isn't something many people will likely be doing.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Thanks for the confidant info. Here's a nice detailed breakdown of all confidants:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... guide.html

The Soma potion you get for pre-buying the game sells for 50K in the Gun Shop. Nice chunk of money early on in the game if needed. Haven't sold mine yet.

I never seem to have any time to work on confidants. The game is always throwing things at me to do that take up my days.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, you'll have plenty of days where most of your time is free, but quite a bit where at least part of it is directed. During summer you'll have a lot more time open, plus I think even 15 hours in stuff is just finally starting to open up a bit.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm about 40 hours into Persona 5. Enjoying it. I'm not rushing so doubt I'll be done in the 95 hours. Good stuff. I agree that the story is more than OK. Actually it's way above average for games.

The beginning 4-6 hours is pretty rocky if someone was new to JRPGs. Longest time ever to introduce all the game mechanics.

I went afk in Mementos and The Reaper came and I ended up losing a nice piece of armor since that thing is impossible to kill early on. You can afk anywhere else except in Mementos.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

About the same time-wise. I've cleared the first two dungeons, I haven't made my way back into mementos yet, I've only got one mission to go there for and stuff I've read says to wait until you have a bunch of missions to do. I kind of forgot about the reaper, I never tried to kill it in P4G, I'll have to give it a go this time around. I looked through the trophies, and it look like there is some other optional boss to take on, too.

The opening hours are definitely slow - like you say I can see them being tough for someone not familiar with JRPG's. I can't decide who I'm going to romance, I'm thinking I might have to get something going on with the homeroom teacher! Word of caution since you haven't played a Persona game before - you CAN have multiple relationships going on at once, and it will even seem like it's fine for quite a while, but eventually it will blow up in your face in epic fashion - I haven't seen exactly how it's done in this game yet, though.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

70+ hours in and still enjoying the game. They put a lot of work into the story. Good English voice acting as well for a JPRG. There's a ton of characters in this game and so far, they've all been interesting.

Enjoying it more than the past four or five Final Fantasy games.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

A big part of Persona 5 being so good is it's soundtrack. It's 110 songs.

Here's a youtube playlist of it:

Persona 5 OST Soundtrack

Probably the best of any game I've played for setting the mood in many different situations. You can get an idea by listening to it but, of course, how it integrates into the game is just as important.