Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild

Post by Animalor »

Started playing this on my Wii U yesterday. The WiiU version is beautiful and runs very well.

That being said, while the game is fun and plays well, I'm not sure why it's getting such great review scores. I have a feeling that Nintendo made games tend to get a 10 point review boost just because they're Nintendo games.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild

Post by Funkmasterr »

Animalor wrote:Started playing this on my Wii U yesterday. The WiiU version is beautiful and runs very well.

That being said, while the game is fun and plays well, I'm not sure why it's getting such great review scores. I have a feeling that Nintendo made games tend to get a 10 point review boost just because they're Nintendo games.
I've made that comment on a few articles, The Know is one of the youtube channels I typically like, and they made some kind of cunty comment about people that haven't played the game telling reviewers why their scores are wrong... Well, looking through the reviews I see frequent mention of framerate drops when played docked/on the tv with the Switch - most people are probably playing this on a TV so this isn't a minor deal, and is something that in any other game would constitute a deduction in score. There are a few other less minor things pointed out in various reviews that would cause a score drop too - yet damn near every score is a perfect 10.

I have fond memories of Zelda games too, but letting nostalgia cloud your review doesn't help anyone but Nintendo fans that just want to be in an echo chamber. From what I've seen gameplay wise it looks like a good game, but an 8.5-9 at best as it has a few issues and doesn't appear to be anything revolutionary. More subjectively there were a few things they did with the game that I don't like (I absolutely loathe the idea of all weapons breaking and constantly having to find new shit, for example). A perfect 10 score means this game is as close to perfect as you can possibly expect, and pushes the genre forward in some meaningful way; I don't see either of those things here.

I'll get a Switch and play this eventually, but the way launch has gone and the reviews for this game has made me a bit bitter about the whole thing, and I'll likely just end up waiting until later in the year.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Got a ton of time in and my impression still stands. The game is a solid 85-90 but the praise this is receiving is ridiculous.
The story is damned thin and the game is too damned short.

Nintendo fills it out by giving you 120 shrines to complete and 900!!! Korok seeds to collect and a ton of shit to pick up around the world to upgrade your armor.

There are quite a few side quests but nothing that you haven't seen in early WoW and the waypoint systems for these quests is sometime completely useless because it never leaves the quest-giver.

Where it any other IP or publisher, I guarantee the words "Cool Tech Demo" would've been used a few times.

That being said, there's a lot of cool stuff you can do and the world is huge and beautiful. It just gets to be very samey after about 30-40 hours.

This is no Dragon Age Inquisition or Skyrim.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This game looks like it will be up and running on the CEMU emulator within about a week. The videos of BoTW the game don't look that impressive but will check it out.

To be clear, I'm an avid hater of all things Nintendo. Their games and consoles weren't part of my childhood so I have zero attachment to them resulting in me only seeing below average games and hardware over the past 15 years. If the three major consoles had no history and introduced their consoles at the same time today along with the quality of games currently on each console, Nintendo would be laughed at. I understand nostalgia though so I do see why some people still but their stuff.

They must put subliminal Nintento love messages in their games and advertising!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Animalor wrote:Got a ton of time in and my impression still stands. The game is a solid 85-90 but the praise this is receiving is ridiculous.
The story is damned thin and the game is too damned short.

Nintendo fills it out by giving you 120 shrines to complete and 900!!! Korok seeds to collect and a ton of shit to pick up around the world to upgrade your armor.

There are quite a few side quests but nothing that you haven't seen in early WoW and the waypoint systems for these quests is sometime completely useless because it never leaves the quest-giver.

Where it any other IP or publisher, I guarantee the words "Cool Tech Demo" would've been used a few times.

That being said, there's a lot of cool stuff you can do and the world is huge and beautiful. It just gets to be very samey after about 30-40 hours.

This is no Dragon Age Inquisition or Skyrim.
See, that's more or less what I figured from what I've seen, and I wish that's the kind of review it would get. I have no interest in wearing someone else's rose colored Nintendo nostalgia goggles, and I get the feeling most people are the same. Not sure why professional reviewers can't understand that.