Red Dead Redemption 2

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Red Dead Redemption 2

Post by Aslanna »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmA6MrX81z4

Fall 2017! That's a long time between games...
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2

Post by Winnow »

Man that's going to look good on the Xbox Scorpio at release! Since there is no scheduled PC release (typically comes out a year later on PC for Rockstar games), Xbox (Scorpio) will be the best console for this one considering how great those visuals are looking in the trailer. It should push the capabilities of each platform it's on.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Never played the first one but I might check the sequel out. Definitely on PS4 though, been playing Gears of War 4 and while I love the game, I fucking hate everything about the Xbox (except the Elite controller I bought, I do like the button mapping and stuff). I hate that my $300 Turtle Beach that works totally wireless on the PS4 and sounds great, and on the Xbox it has to be plugged in and sounds like shit, I hate the dashboard and the fact I never know where to find anything. Unless they go back to a simplistic UI and get rid of this Windows 10 on Xbox shit (which I know won't happen), I likely won't even bother with the next Xbox.

Anyhow, trailer looks good, definitely something I'll keep an eye on.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Man that's going to look good on the Xbox Scorpio at release! Since there is no scheduled PC release (typically comes out a year later on PC for Rockstar games), Xbox (Scorpio) will be the best console for this one considering how great those visuals are looking in the trailer. It should push the capabilities of each platform it's on.
Can you not go one thread without this stupid shit?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

PlayStation Is Getting Some Red Dead Redemption 2 Online Content First
lol, I figured Sony would do something like that. The game will look and play better on Scorpio but you will get a free gold saddled horse online before Xbox gets one!

I anticipate 4 guys playing Banjos on stage at Sony's e3 conference next year before rolling out the preview to Red Dead Redemption. The crowd will be amazed at the banjo player's skillz. Microsoft will not have banjo players at their conference and so Sony wins the day.

Back on topic, Red Dead Redemption is a must buy even on a PS4.

for you PS4 lovers, the PS4 controller will have native support like the Xbox controller has soon when using Steam.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I wonder if there will be scorpions in this game!

Actual serious talk about this game as it gets closer to launch, or probably after E3 which is still a long ways off.

I wish Rockstar had three major titles that they rotated releases of every year or maybe one every other year. That would still be a long time between releases but not 4-5 years like now. So a new release every two years with the same franchise being updated every six years.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

New trailer

October 26 release date.

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Saw that too yesterday. Its looking grand for sure. I do get a bit worried that it went from fall 17 to fall 18....and will probably end up spring 19. But as long as its well fleshed out, and the story isn't stupid, then it will be a winner. I mean, RDR1 was almost a perfect story/character.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It's here!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Open world games really aren't my thing anymore, I almost always give up on them early on so I've told myself I won't buy them. But on the other hand I've become more and more fond of a good narrative in a game, so I was torn on this. With all the praise, I ended up decided to go for it. Excited to give it a try over the weekend!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm a bit torn on this game and trying hard to get into it but so far it's not grabbing me like I thought it would. The world looks great and so far the story isn't terrible but some of the mechanics and systems in this game are very frustrating. So much so that I think the game is actively just trying to make me hate it at times.

I still need more time with it but I am not able to rate it a 10 at this point like a lot of others have. Even if the story ends up being the greatest thing ever I'd be hard pressed to give the game a 10 based on everything else I've encountered. I'll keep at it though!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I think my problem with it so far is that I'm not a very "go with the flow" kind of person, and the game clearly wants me to be. I kept forgetting to save and would have something happen where I wanted to try again for a different result, and had to replay a long mission several times as a reult. So I have to keep reminding myself to save more often to avoid this.

Also, I killed the legendary grizzly in the quest real early on (chapter 2), and it clearly wasn't meant to be killed at this point. You want to sell it to the trapper, but the only way I can find him at this point is to get him to show up at one of the random spots on the map. And if you die or anything, you lose the pelt that you have on your horse.

I'm liking it so far but I've definitely not seen enough to judge the game yet.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Yeah, I am enjoying it a lot, BUT there certainly are game play aspects that seem annoyingly un taught. I don't even get the fast travel still. I should google it. I unlocked it at the camp, expected that I could use it on the map, but that doesn't appear to be the case, you can only fast travel OUT of the camp, not anywhere else? That seems silly. You're just making your game "over 200 hours" by making people ride a horse everywhere....and back again....over and over.

I get you can use the train and stagecoach, but due to the story missions driving my bounty through the roof in places, its been hard going to fund my bounty payoffs...and the camp upgrades.

But that's really my only complaint. The game is fun as shit otherwise. The story is good, slow, but good. In depth character treatments....good inclusion of current day topics that were abound back then....racism, women's suffrage, kkk rallies (which are pretty funny)...I mean, normally I don't go for all that PC nonsense, but the inclusion fits the history, so I don't consider it liberal pandering at all, and actually very fitting to the narrative.

And yeah, the game map is huge....and that's probably why my problem with fast travel exists. I'm in chapter 3. Maybe 1/3 the map used at this point?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Kluden wrote:due to the story missions driving my bounty through the roof in places, its been hard going to fund my bounty payoffs...and the camp upgrades.
Apparently if you get caught you lose whatever money you have on you up to the bounty amount. If it doesn't cover it you're still free to go and the bounty is gone. So yeah I have that $300 bounty on me as well so my plan is to just donate whatever I have on me to the camp, which is like $78, and then get go captured to clear that bounty. They can't get blood from a stone!

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Hrmm, that's a good solution for future bounties that I will do.

BUT....recently payed off my two big bounties, at a post office, as the bounty hunters and police were not interested in the "alive" part of Dead or Alive....they came guns blazing at me every time. So I didn't think that was an option. I would suggest instead of donating, upgrade your guns :)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I haven't tried it myself, but I saw something that said if you go to jail, it fills all of your cores up and brings your horse to you. If you have a low bounty/left your horse somewhere, this might be a good option, too.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Kluden wrote:Hrmm, that's a good solution for future bounties that I will do.

BUT....recently payed off my two big bounties, at a post office, as the bounty hunters and police were not interested in the "alive" part of Dead or Alive....they came guns blazing at me every time. So I didn't think that was an option. I would suggest instead of donating, upgrade your guns :)
Yeah, not sure that's just what I read. I will be trying it later tonight. That $300 'Dead or Alive' is the one I have on me. I thought maybe if they killed you that would clear the bounty at that point.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Ok, the $300 bounty and the Dead or Alive one I had were different. I was able to clear the $300 bounty by going to Strawberry and basically turning myself in. I walked into the jail and they didn't seem to pay me any attention until I antagonized them.

So yeah... That's an easy way to save $300 early on in the game although I imagine money isn't much of a problem as you go along through the story. Unfortunately I am not at that point yet.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

You people should abide by the law! What's with all of these bounties! Waiting for the PC version of this to play next year.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

This goes down as my biggest gaming disappointment of 2018. Rockstar needs to work on making a game a little more accessible and fun. I don't mind the slow pace and all but the controls and systems left a lot to be desired.

That and I encountered the glitch with the camp where some of your gang is missing and never shows up so you miss out on the fishing introduction and maybe a couple other things. Once I found that out I was done. I didn't make it out of Chapter 2.

I did want to get into this game, and even bought the pricier version!, but alas it was not to be.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, I haven't got back to it yet myself, but to be fair I haven't been able to get into many games lately.

I thought the controls were kind of clunky, too. I also felt like I had to save constantly because at any time I could accidentally do something to fuck up the quest I was on and have to reload - a few times I accidentally started a quest when I already had one going and the first quest I was working on just disappeared into nothing.

Then when I'd reload saves, I'd be in a different spot/etc from where I saved the game... Saving should be saving every little exact piece of my game state; not sure what's up with that.

I've been slowly chipping away at Divinity Original Sin 2 and am almost done with that, so I might come back to this between finishing that and Metro Exodus/Anthem(?) next month, but we'll see.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

This game is a lot of fun with a really great story. I’m currently taking my time in the Prologue.

As for saves, I recently saved my game in front of a store before I robbed it. When I loaded that save it put me across the road. I had to spend about two whole seconds to get back to where I saved the game. So frustrating.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Worst game of the generation!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

If you don't have a console you'll now have the chance to make the same mistake I made by buying this game.

Red Dead Redemption 2 coming to PC on November 5

After months of speculation, Rockstar has just confirmed that the Red Dead Redemption 2 PC version is real – and it's coming November 5.

The confirmation was just posted on Rockstar's Twitter page. There's not much to go on, except we now now it exists, and it's coming (very) soon.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah I played this for all of about 3 hours. There were some design decisions I didn't like, but ultimately I'm just over open world games.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I don't mind open world games, as I recently put probably 150 hours into AC Odyssey as well as 80 or so into Spiderman which I guess is open world.

The openness of the world isn't what bothered me with RDR2 it was everything surrounding that. Similar to Borderlands 3 I just wanted "more RDR". This is why you don't mess with the stuff people liked. Improve on it, sure, but for me RDR2 was not an improvement and I felt it was fighting me every step of the way. Or at least as far as I got anyway as I bowed out before Chapter 3 when I found out I had the missing characters camp glitch and the only way to fix it was to start over. That's not a fix!

God of War definitely deserved Game of the Year in 2018 over Red Dead Redemption 2. I think some of the reviewers for RDR2 had rose colored nostalgia glasses on from their RDR experience which blinded them to some rather dubious design decisions.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, I actually liked God Of War. Sure it was open world, but the scope of it was narrowed down pretty far compared to most open world games, so it didn't feel like this insurmountable wall of shit that I had to decide what to do with. Most of those games just feel like big check lists to me now, which ends up making it feel more like a job or a chore to me than fun.

RDR2 for me was just really slow and clunky in a lot of ways, I can't recall the specifics of why I felt that way because I was done with it within a week of release, but it just wasn't for me.