Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4! / xbo )

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4! / xbo )

Post by Aslanna »

According Sony’s sr. product manager Chris Brown, the low UK sales numbers for Rise of the Tomb Raider, might have something to do with Microsoft’s poor release timing. Interestingly enough, Driveclub’s game director Paul Rustchynsky points out that the game will do “just fine”, when it releases on the PS4 next year.
That's what happens when you hitch your wagon to Microsoft.
Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One, released on the same day as Bethesda’s Fallout 4. While recent numbers indicate that Fallout 4 has sold amazingly well, UK sales numbers for Rise of the Tomb Raider are disappointing – the latest Tomb Raider instalment on the Xbox One sold less than 63.000 UK copies in its first week.
63k!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4! / xbo )

Post by Winnow »

Really dumb move to release the game the same week as Fallout 4. The game is better than anything PS4 has as an exclusive but Fallout 4 sold 12 million copies. You don't release a game the same weekend.

Even Star Wars Battlefront should have been released the week before Fallout 4, not the week after to maximize sales. Seems marketing/sales people aren't too swift these days. If going against a mega hit, release before so you catch those that are too anxious to wait instead of week after when people are already playing the superior game.

Tomb Raider will sell well over time on Xbox One but Microsoft needs to learn, when you already have an advantage with mega hit Fallout and mod releases, don't add your other big game the same week. I would have bought Tomb Raider day one but am too busy with Fallout 4. No need to buy right away when 300 Mbps and digital downloads gets it to me whenever I'm ready.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

The game is great. I've bought pretty much every game this fall and I think Tomb Raider is easily in the top of the pack in terms of quality and overall quality/experience. I enjoyed the first one, but this one I better in all the ways that matter (ie: You actually raid tombs!). I have not beaten it yet, but it will likely be next on my list. It's hard to put down once you start playing, which I can't say about too many games.

I completely understand people waiting to play it on PS4 in the future. I was looking forward to the game so much, I couldn't wait! I'm so glad I didn't.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Brian Horton, the director of Rise of the Tomb Raider, has left Crystal Dynamics for Infinity Ward.
Guess he wants to go with a company that's not stupid enough to sign a year-long exclusivity contract to the losing console of this generation!

And those who blame Fallout 4 for the low sales are delusional. Nothing would have changed if Fallout 4 hadn't been released the same day. They are two different types of games so there wasn't much cannibalism of sales between the two.

I'll wait until the GOTY version is released on PS4. For <$20. May even go used! No need to support companies for making shitty business decisions.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Got it for free with purchase of my GTX 980 Ti so I'll be enjoying it on the best platform the end of this month. Nice to see Xbox One getting the best exclusive games even if for limited times.

One of these days Sony PS4 might get one of their exclusives released instead of announcing yet another delay.

Can always play Knack while you wait!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Got around to playing Rise of the Tomb Raider last weekend.

This game is really good. The number one point I'll make is that this game shouldn't be played on Xbox One or PS4. It looks awesome on a decent PC. It has plug and play support for the Xbox One controller and I'd guess the PS4 dualshock as well with drivers. At this point, all AAA games should be played on a PC that have controller support as opposed to a console. Xbox One/PS4 can't come close to the graphics power of new PC video cards.

Plays like the first Tomb Raider but everything is improved along with getting rid most of the scripted scenes that were annoying (falling down a mountain, avoiding getting skewered on a tree branch, etc)

The story just won an award:
Crystal Dynamics’ action-adventure sequel Rise of the Tomb Raider has been recognized by the Writers Guild’s, after taking home the coveted gold for ‘Outstanding Achievement in Videogame Writing’.

It was the only video game at the ceremony to clinch a prize, beating strong competition in the from of Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, CD Projekt Red’s The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, and Pillars of Eternity.

According to the official WGA site, the writing award spotlights the sequel’s core writing quartet: Lead Narrative Designer John Stafford, Narrative Designer Cameron Suey, Lead Writer Rhianna Pratchett, and Additional Writer Philip Gelatt.

As you'd probably expect from this game, the character animations and acting is a step above anything I've seen yet in a video game. The story is compelling and there's a lot of effort put into the villains as well to make them more human and multifaceted.

All of the side tombs are great puzzles and worth doing as they reward you with specific skills.

Visuals are amazing. I'm rocking a 980ti graphics card but I'd imagine this will look outstanding on most new PCs.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is a top notch game from top to bottom.

tl;dr award winning story (beat out Witcher 3 which is impressive), amazing graphics, animations, game play, progression, atmosphere. Play on PC not Xbox One or PS4.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:The number one point I'll make is that this game shouldn't be played on Xbox One
I guess nobody needs to worry about that. Zing!

No love for the 360?
Winnow wrote:Play on PC not PS4.
What if you only have a PS4 and no PC?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:The number one point I'll make is that this game shouldn't be played on Xbox One
I guess nobody needs to worry about that. Zing!

No love for the 360?
Winnow wrote:Play on PC not PS4.
What if you only have a PS4 and no PC?
PS4 I guess when it comes out. It will still be a great game when that happens. Having looked at the trailers for the new Uncharted, Rise still has it beat in the graphics department where it counts (expressions/animations) so it will still look visually better than games that are released between Xbox and PS4 release dates.

For those that are serious gamers and have a PC, the bigger bummer is Uncharted not being available on PC to take advantage of much better graphics.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Rise of the Tomb Raider, the second game in the rebooted Tomb Raider franchise, is coming to PlayStation 4 on Oct. 11. It will be a special edition titled Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration, and will include the game with all of its downloadable content, in addition to a new mission, new modes and other extras.
Does anyone even care at this point since we already got Uncharted 4?

But thanks Xbox players for beta testing it and paying for those season passes! I might pick it up when it's <$20 otherwise not much interest. With so many games out these days is timed exclusivity really a selling point? Either make it fully exclusive or don't.

This applies to Sony as well, before Winnow jumps in with something not even relevant to the topic... More than likely involving Windows 10.. Or Rift or Vive or something VR related.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm sure a lot of people care. Original Tomb Raider was great and sold very well on all platforms. Rise of the Tomb Raider is better in all ways than its predecessor and IMO has better story and character animation/models and leveling/character development than Uncharted.

Not sure what there is to whine about. Microsoft paid for exclusive time. At least Crab Hands console people will get to enjoy it. Sony is stingy and doesn't even release their games on PC. Microsoft isn't the bad guy here. At least if you have a PC you can play most console exclusive stuff that's on XBox.

Then again, Sony isn't the savviest company out there when it comes to making profit while...
Microsoft’s Q4 earnings beat Street with $22.6B in revenue, $0.69 EPS
Maybe Sony should sell their games on PC to make a few more bones.

Then there's the whole cross platform thing. Microsoft willing and ready for cross platform gaming. The third party game developers want cross platform...who's holding things up? Sony.
Back in March, Microsoft announced that it would allow generic cross-platform play on its Xbox Live network. The move was essentially a public challenge for Sony to similarly open up the PlayStation Network, allowing for multiplayer matches involving more than one type of console for what would essentially be the first time.

Now, some major game developers are stressing that any technical hurdles to this cross-platform play have been overcome. Sony's walled-garden policy is the final obstacle to allowing play between Xbox and PlayStation systems, they say. "Right now, we're literally at the point where all we need is the go-ahead on the Sony side and we can, in less than a business day, turn [cross-platform play] on and have it up and working, no problem," Jeremy Dunham, vice president of Rocket League developer Psyonix told IGN in a recent interview. "It'd literally take a few hours to propagate throughout the whole world, so really we're just waiting on the permission to do so... It could be tomorrow, it could be longer than that. We just don't know—we're anxiously awaiting that, just like the rest of our fans."
What a great company! Wow...cross platform is a business day away from happening...and yet...nope! Queue the orchestra!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aslanna wrote:before Winnow jumps in with something not even relevant to the topic...
<who then proceeds to go on a rant about Microsoft stock and Sony when nobody even mentioned Microsoft or Sony>

Thanks for not letting me down, there. You're so predictable!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

When you look at people who are successful, you will find that they aren't the people who are motivated, but have consistency in their motivation.
Crab hands!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Random quote that makes no sense by some French soccer coach.