The Witcher 3

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

The Witcher 3

Post by Funkmasterr »

Been playing this the past few days - this game is pretty good! This isn't news to anyone that's played the previous games, but the combat system is more involved and difficult than these games typically are. I started on a hard difficulty, so it was good to have come straight to this game from playing Bloodborne, as I'm already finding myself fighting some of the boss fights in the same way (take a couple of swings, roll away, repeat).

I'm really impressed with the storytelling; even the side quests are written in such a way that they don't seem like simple fetch quests, and it makes me want to complete more of them than I typically would.

Visually it's great on consoles (PS4 is better, obvs), one of my biggest gripes is always how paper-like and fake foliage looks, and how it isn't properly effected by the weather. They did a great job of those things here, and it makes the world really come alive.

All of your abilities have a use, you can't just hack your way through all the fights. There have been several times where I'm getting wrecked by something only to try mixing in a different ability and breezing through the fight.

Easy recommendation for anyone that has any interest in the genre.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: The Witcher 3

Post by Winnow »

Not too far in. Maybe an hour. The world looks great and as funk mentioned, the quests, even side ones, are fully fleshed out with dialogue and don't feel like typical fetch quests.

A ton of work goes into making a world this big feel alive. The creators have to put in so much quality content that may not even be seen by the average player blowing through the main story.

The game gives you plenty of options for difficulty and also micro/macro management. You can skip the food and most of the crafting (except Witcher armor) if you want or go nuts with all of the alchemy etc.

Here are some good tips:

Tips For Playing The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

A good one, for example, is to put a point into "Sun and Stars" ability if you want to regenerate health out of combat instead of eat food/water etc. That's the first point I used but the author of the tips article recommends not doing it. Witcher 3 offers the ability to choose your play style which is nice instead of forcing one way or the other.

Combat in Witcher has never been my favorite. I prefer Dragon Dogma (amazing spell effects) or even DA3 but Witcher 3's story/dialog is way more interesting. Combat feels better so far in 3 than the last two Witcher games.

I'm playing it on the PC to screw around with mods later if some come out. A pretty world without an interesting story gets boring fast. The developers did a great job with the voice acting and small details. Decent facial expressions and it even looks like the mouth animations were localized along with the voices. Those little things make a big difference overall.

More thoughts after I've put more hours into it.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I really want to get into this game but I just cannot justify the purchase right now. I imagine I'll pick up the complete edition next year when its on sale.

I should play part 2 on my 360 this year. I fear if I bought part 3 right now it would suffer the same fate as my copy of Witcher 2 and just sit there while I play other games.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Don't leave the beginning area right away. There's a ton of stuff to do and the XP and items help. After killing the griffin you can leave the starter area but hold off until you've explore a few or all of the points of interest.

Edit: and loot anything you see as long as guards aren't around. Lots of good stuff in houses of quests, etc.

Impressed by the depth of side quests. Way better than "go kill X number of rats" Nice stories behind them etc.

Edit 2: Sun and Stars ability helps with health regen during the day and stamina and night but you still need food/water.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I did all of the side quests, but didn't do much with the points of interest before leaving. I'm playing on the second to highest difficulty, so health doesn't regen much, and not at all when you meditate, so that has made things tough - but even that aside, make sure you're prepared before you go into contracts and main story quests. I did the quest with (marie, I believe is her name) where you go into the dungeon looking for the elf Ciri was going to meet. It ended up taking me like 3 hours and it basically had three boss fights during it, for one mission.

I definitely should've prepared better - by the last boss fight I was out of food, both my weapons and half my armor were broken, and I was out of potions (I didn't realize until after this that meditating replenishes potions). I still pulled it off, but it was unnecessarily difficult due to lack of planning.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Yeah, that first dungeon sequence is a long one...and tense. I had tons of busted shit too, but kept finding weapons/armor in the chests littered throughout the dungeon.

That fight is tough. But once you figure out how to beat him, not so much.

Oils are a must. Potions are a must. Grenades are just ok. Always check to see what you can create, as more arsenal has always been the way around harder settings in this series.

I'm about 8 hours in, and feel like I'm still at the beginning. I leveled twice during that run through the dungeon, after barely leveling at all prior. The first 4~5 levels seem to take a while.

I'm not reading any skill guides. Just going to wing it like I always did in the witcher games. I'll end up playing through again, so I can "get it right" next time. I maxed out quick attack, and took that sun and stars perk first.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Don't buy this game! It looks nothing like what they showed two years ago! They are just duping you!

/sarcasm
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:Don't buy this game! It looks nothing like what they showed two years ago! They are just duping you!

/sarcasm
There's more content in the bedroom you start the game in than there is in the entirety of Destiny, expansions included.

/truth
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Yeah this game has a ridiculous amount of content. More importantly, there's more story to it in the starting area alone than Destiny will ever have including all of its future expansions.

PS: I want to play some more as Ciri.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You Destiny haters are so amusing. Keep it up!
I'm playing it on the PC to screw around with mods later if some come out.
I'm sure the developers appreciate your $60! You did buy it, right?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Need more Ciri!

I always buy the quality games. Rarely pirate games anymore since moving on from Xbox 360 and PS3. Think last one I pirated was the first episode of "Love is Strange" game. I spend way more than most on "f2p" games. Probably around $600 on WoWP and the same $500-600 on WT and $200 on Marvel Heroes over the past year. I even spent $350 on a spaceship for Star Citizen and may not even play that game. The gaming industry gets their money from me. I do pirate TV and movies like nobody's business though. I'm having a hard time remembering what commercials were like in the old days.

Getting back to Witcher 3. It ranks up there with the best ever for overall experience. Mass Effect would be the comparison in terms of overall story/game quality. It tops them all in terms of dialog/npc interaction. Feels like watching a movie at times during cut scene/dialog, even with the minor quests.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Witcher 3 broke the Uk sales record for the year so far.

63% on PS4
32% on Xbone
5% on PC
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Put a ton of time in over the weekend. I've been doing all the side quests I can find before pushing the story through so I'm guessing I'm still not terribly far (I haven't gone to Skelligrade or whatever yet) and I'm still really liking it. Only a few nagging complaints, but given the scope of the game I can forgive it:

-You take far too much fall damage. Falling from 15-20 feet in the air shouldn't be a guaranteed death.
-It can be a bit clunky looking for things on the world map because the cursor gets hung up on everything as you pass over it (and there's a shit ton of stuff on the map).
-After they had to add in a storage chest in the second game because everyone complained, I can't believe there isn't one in this game. I'm gonna resort to finding a big abandoned building near one of the teleports to drop all my books and shit in.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Witcher 3 broke the Uk sales record for the year so far.

63% on PS4
32% on Xbone
5% on PC
So basically the console versions subsidized the PC version. I guess CDPR wasn't kidding when they said if it wasn't for consoles there would be no Witcher 3.

(Yes, that's UK but I'm sure it's similar across most regions)

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

-You take far too much fall damage. Falling from 15-20 feet in the air shouldn't be a guaranteed death.
Party of the fun of this game is the challenge. Falling damage seems a bit much but overall happy with how they handled damage.
-After they had to add in a storage chest in the second game because everyone complained, I can't believe there isn't one in this game. I'm gonna resort to finding a big abandoned building near one of the teleports to drop all my books and shit in.
Seems odd to me as well. It was recommended that you dump all of your stuff at a fast travel teleport site that's out of the way. It doesn't poof so will act like a warehouse.

-----

I went hours and hours not realizing that after using your skill points, you also had to place your skills on the bar to have them be in affect. I played basically with no skill enhancements for most of the weekend. Oops! Combat got a lot easier once I corrected that.

Taking my time. The story and quests are so entertaining, I don't feel rushed at all to "grind" through anything. Really impressed with the dialogue/scene direction of all cut/story scenes. Nothing is perfect and can quibble about various little things but the story/game is first rate, must play for RPG enthusiasts.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Steam user comments reflect the awesomeness of this game

http://store.steampowered.com/app/292030/

There's no real grinding in this game when all the side quests are great.

As for main story, the Botchling part is a great example of this game's uniqueness. The Barron's character has outstanding voice acting and animation. (as do just about all NPCs in the game)

I feel bad robbing every peasant hut blind but the game pretty much requires you to steal/loot everything for money/crafting. Once in awhile I'll decline payment after a quest if I like the NPC enough. They end up giving you something else anyway usually.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

If you get to the "King's Gambit" quest, you may want to skip it until the next patch. It appears that many people (myself included) get to one of two cut scenes during that quest, and the game gets stuck in an endless loading screen. Luckily, I had a save from right before I started the quest. Also of note that if you have got into the quest but are still inside the castle (and the gates are locked), you can go to where the armorer is and jump out into the water and go about doing other things - they will let you back into the castle to finish the quest later.

From what I understand you don't want to progress the main quest too far (I believe before you go to the Isle of Mist, but I'm not there yet so I can't say) before finishing this quest as its outcome has an effect on later events.

Supposedly they're fixing this in the next patch which is due out this week, but we'll see.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Add that to my list of reasons not to buy, or at least play, a game day 1.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Saw the list of things coming in the next patch, and verified this is one of them.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I installed the console access mod yesterday. It allows you to pretty much do anything you want but I only mod'd my game one way so far.

I don't like having to go to Sign Posts in order to port so I entered to code to port from anywhere to a sign post. Small mod but mostly traveling to sign posts was a waste of time and didnt add to my enjoyment of the game.

I'm not going for achievements so a small mod like that is great for me.

Other than that, I have triss, yennefer or others walk around naked or in lingerie sometimes for the hell of it.

You can also play as Ciri whenever you want. I swapped to Ciri but she can't take quests and Geralt doesn't get XP while you're using Ciri so I only played around a bit with it.

Free camera roam is nice. It's a beautiful world...seriously. The most impressive yet IMO.

I went into god mode (so I didn't need to worry about drowning) just to swim around underwater in the town that Triss is in initially. The amount of detail and thought put into places that 99% of people will never see is impressive. This hugh effort by the development team makes Witcher all the more impressive when you do go off the beaten path.

One other thing I did was go to an old saved game and dropped a black troll right into the middle of a guard camp. The ensuing battle was epic as the guards immediately reacted to the hostile. It's cool to see how well the game reacts to unexpected things. No way some super high level monster was supposed to be in that camp and yet the reaction and battle was awesome to watch.

Other than opening the ability for fast travel to initiate from anywhere on the map, I don't plan on doing much else to my main game.

Here are some of the console commands as an example though:
[Show]
Combat

god - godmode (toggle, type god to turn off), there is also god2 and god3
healme - heals the player
killall - kill all enemies in sight, killall(50) kills all enemies in 50y range
likeaboss - makes you hit harder
addabl('name') to add a buff and rmvabl('name') to remove it
addabl('DamageBuff') - 200 Attack Power, 200 Spell Power
addabl('ForceCriticalHits') - 100% Critical Chance
addabl('ConAthletic') - 1000 Vitality, 100 Stamina and higher Stamina Regen
addabl('ConImmortal') - 998000 Vitality
addabl('StatsRangedSuperLame') - increased aim duration

Geralt Abilities

cleardevelop - CAUTION: resets Geralt to level 1, gives you starting gear
addexp(#) - adds "#" experience
setlevel(#) - sets level to "#", leveldown not available
levelup - increase level by 1
addskillpoints(#) - increase skillpoints by "#"
learnskill('name') - teaches Geralt skill "name
e.g. learnskill('sword_s1') to teach Geralt Whirl
[click here to show all learnable skills]
Cat(1) - see in the dark, Cat(0) to turn it off
Drunk(1) - drunk effect, Drunk(0) to turn it off
addabl("Rune veles lesser _Stats") - +2% Sign intensity
addabl("Rune veles _Stats") - +3% Sign intensity
addabl("Rune veles greater _Stats") - +5% Sign intensity
activateAllGlossaryCharacters() - enable all characters in glossary
activateAllGlossaryBeastiary() - enable all monsters in glossary

Character Looks

shave - removes beard
setbeard(1) - grows a beard
WitcherHairstyle('1') - sets Hairstyle 1
WitcherHairstyle('2') - sets Hairstyle 2
WitcherHairstyle('3') - sets Hairstyle 3
settattoo(1) - show the blue stripe tattoo from the Witcher 2 quest "Hangover"
settattoo(0) - hides the blue stripe tattoo from the Witcher 2 quest "Hangover"

Inventory and Items

additem('name',#,slot) - adds "#" amount of items with the name "name" to the "slot" in players inventory. "#" and "slot" are nonmandatory.
e.g. additem('Torlara') adds 1 Tor Lara sword to the Witchers Inventory
e.g. additem('Torlara',1,1) adds 1 Tor Lara Sword to the Witchers Steelsword Slot
[click here to show all gwent cards]
[click here to show all weapons]
[click here to show all armor]
[click here to show all upgrades, runes and mutagens]
[click here to show all schematics, books and notices]
[click here to show all alchemy bombs and potions]
[click here to show all food, crafting materials, ingredients and quest items]
test commands to add each type of item once
[click here to show all inventory dev commands]
for more carryweight add the buffs from all 3 types of bags - use rmvabl(name) to remove them
addabl(HorseBag1)
addabl(HorseBag2)
addabl(HorseBag3)
addmoney(#) - adds "#" amount of Crowns
removemoney(#) - removes "#" amount of Crowns

Horse

additem('Horse Bag 3') – largest bag
additem('Horse Saddle 4') – best saddle
additem('Horse Blinder 3') – best blinder
staminapony – unlimited stamina horse
instantMount('horse') - puts player on a horse

NPC Commands

dismember - dismembers an NPC
appearance(name) - target an NPC and type the command

Ciri

Ciri - play as Cirilla, use 'Geralt' to return to Geralt
Abilities, for playable Ciri
addabl(CiriBlink) - give Ciri the blink ability
addabl(CiriCharge) - give Ciri the charge ability
addabl(Ciri_Rage) - give Ciri the rage ability
additem(q403_ciri_meteor) - gives Ciri the meteor
addabl(Ciri_Q205) - gain 250 vitality
addabl(Ciri_Q305) - gain 500 vitality and 100 attack power
addabl(Ciri_Q403) - gain 2000 vitality and 500 attack power
addabl(Ciri_Q111) - gain 2500 vitality and 600 attack power
addabl(Ciri_Q501) - gain 2500 vitality and 80 attack power
appearance(ciri_winter)
appearance(ciri_player)
appearance(ciri_player_towel)
appearance(ciri_player_naked)
appearance(ciri_player_wounded)
appearance(_q103_dirty)
appearance(_q103_wounded)
appearance(_q205_bandaged_naked)
appearance(_q205_bandaged)
appearance(_q205_bathtowel)
appearance(_q205_naked lingerie)
appearance(_q205_naked)
appearance(_q305_dudu)
appearance(_q310_masked)
appearance(_q505_covered_01)
appearance(_q505_covered_02)
appearance(_q505_hooded_02)
appearance(_q505_hooded)

Triss

appearance(triss)
appearance(triss_dress)
appearance(triss_hooded_01)
appearance(triss_hooded_02)
appearance(triss_lingerie)
appearance(triss_naked)
appearance(triss_tortured_bloddy_face)
appearance(triss_tortured)

Yennefer

appearance(yennefer_hooded)
appearance(yennefer_gown)
appearance(yennefer_head_towel)
appearance(yennefer_hooded_02)
appearance(yennefer_lingerie)
appearance(yennefer_naked_no_hair)
appearance(yennefer_naked_panties)
appearance(yennefer_naked)
appearance(yennefer_no_pendant)
appearance(yennefer_travel_outfit)

Keira

appearance(naked)
appearance(naked_lingerie)
appearance(keira_metz_sorceress)
appearance(keria_metz)
spawn('name',#,x,true/false) - spawns "#" amount of "true=hostile or false=friendly" "name"-NPCs in distance "x"
e.g. spawn('wyvern_lvl2') - spawns 1 strong Wyvern
e.g. spawn('wyvern_lvl2',10,20,true) - spawns 10 hostile, strong Wyverns in distance 20
[click here to show all NPCs, Bosses, Monsters and Members of the Wild Hunt]

Gwent Game

secretgwint - play a Gwent Game anywhere
winGwint(true) - win current Gwent Game
addgwintcards - adds 1 of each card, except 'gwint_card_katakan'
additem(‘name’) - adds 1 "name" card
e.g. additem('gwint_card_katakan',5) - adds 5 Katakan cards
[click here to show all gwent cards]

World and Travels

ShowKnownPins(1) - display all "?" on the map
ShowPins(1) - uncovercover all map pins
ShowAllFT(1) - uncover fast travel pins
AllowFT(1) - enables Fast Travel from anywhere
gotoWyzima - portal to Wyzima
gotoNovigrad - portal to Novigrad
gotoSkellige - portal to Skellige
gotoKaerMohren - portal to KaerMohren
gotoProlog - portal to the Prologue Zone White Orchard
gotoPrologWinter - portal to the Prologue Zone winterly White Orchard
xy(posX,posY) - portal to the coordinates posx,posy - use god to survive the fall or type the coordinates again, just before you hit the ground
e.g. xy(104,140) - teleports player to Fisherman Village
[click here to show sample xy(coordinates)]
makeitrain - summons a storm
stoprain - stops the rain
changeweather(name) - change the weather to name
[click here to show all weatherforms]

Interface

fadeout() / fadein() - turns the screen black
dlgshow() - turns the HUD off, also roots Geralt in place ... use dlghide() to show the interface
testpause() - pause the game, use testunpause() to continu
This game is stupendous. It stands alone when it comes quests/storylines and NPC acting. Nice that all the DLC is free as well. EA wouldn't dream of doing something like that.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This game is epic in almost every way.

Awhile back I mentioned how nice the music was in DA: Inquisition. The bards in the taverns...and then Witcher 3 does it's take on bard singing and it blows away DA3. The facial and body expressions in the crowd are way beyond anything ever done, especially on the massive scale Witcher 3 does it on. None of the NPCs you interact with seem generic. Much time was invested making all of the dialog, voice acting, appearances of NPS and quests unique. Even on one quest, that is the closest to a generic typical quest from Final Fantasy, Dragon Age, etc where you have to set three rat traps, is filled with cut scenes and dialog.

When compared to other games, this game is worth $100.00. The diversity of the world and incredible detail and thought put into each little quest is something that stands alone from all preceding open world RPGs and even closed world ones.

Witcher 3 will win every award it's nominated for and deserves it.

Character models are outstanding in this game:
[Show]
I'm assuming the game looks good on Xbox One and PS4 as well but on high settings on the PC...oh my.

Goose knows what's best for him!
Felt like I'd been rammed in the arse by a horse. I went to find the bugger, to get the girls back, bring them home. Yet soon as I saw him, something turned inside me, something dark. I slaughtered the shit-eating twat and fed his carcass to the dogs.
Barron has some great lines!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'm hoping the patch that's due out this week comes soon, I'm at a point where I can't really do anything without fucking myself later due to bugged quests that can't be completed.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You could always play some Destiny!

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Funkmasterr wrote:I'm hoping the patch that's due out this week comes soon, I'm at a point where I can't really do anything without fucking myself later due to bugged quests that can't be completed.
I am just playing other things while they get everything straightened out.

It's a shame to have a blemish like this on an otherwise well polished experience.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, I got to the point last night where all I could do is go do the horse races and gwent stuff, and I don't want to do either - so I'm finishing up some other games (Metro and Evil Within) while I wait for the damn patch.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Looks like I picked the right platform for this game, at least short term. I don't know how PS4 and Xbox One handle this game. My PC maxes out when running this game full graphics. It looks amazing but I have to think there's some shortcomings on the consoles.

Here's a few screens I took last night, mostly focusing on detail of faces, etc instead of scenery (which is also outstanding).

I linked the images because they're full 1080 png files. (best viewed full screen)

Triss interrogating someone

Close up of Triss interrogation

Face details and clothes are great. Buttons aren't all aligned, great attention to detail. Teeth nice but not perfect.

More detail and Gerart more or less shaved before beard grows

Hair is still the hardest thing to make right. I have Nvidia's hairworks at 50%. The hair alone takes massive GPU power so not worth it unless you have very high end system.

Some guy with tats checking out Gerart's package

Not really, just happened that way in the screenshot.

This game is long. The search for Ciri is only act I of three acts. One guy said he finished it in about 140 hours but didn't do all the side quests. I'm 25 hours in according to the timer. I'm sure it's slightly longer than that when you go back to previous save sometimes. At the same time, the more familiar you become with the game, the less time you spend in the menus learning crafting, etc as well.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The developers of Witcher are in touch with their geekness.

There are lots of easter eggs in the game. You can find Tyrian Lanister dead in some remote part of the map for example. Also while I was in Barron's basement, the guards were repeating some lines from Pulp Fiction's "bring out the gimp" scene.

Also in patch 1.05 recently released, they fixed the cow money exploit but not in the way you'd think. Before, you could kill cows, meditate for an hour, kill them again and make good money off of selling their hides.

So this is their response (from Kotoku)
It used to be easy to earn money in The Witcher 3 by killing cows over and over again. The game’s most recent patch, however, has a clever way of stopping you from exploiting the world’s bovine.

Patch 1.05, which just went live for PC players, brings with it many important changes, including a bigger text size for the game’s interface, a host of quest fixes, and more. The full patch notes are right here. What caught my eye, though, was this:

Deploys the Bovine Defense Force Initiative

What the hell?!

It didn’t take me long to figure out his was a way of addressing the game’s easy money exploit.

Here’s how the exploit worked: kill some cows, collect their hides, meditate for an hour, and the cows quickly spawn back into the world. The hides were worth a pretty penny, so it didn’t take long to completely break The Witcher 3’s economy. Given that it otherwise takes dozens of hours to build up a decent amount of money in the game, it’s not a surprise CD Projekt RED would stamp this out.

Instead of removing cows from the world or reducing the price of hides, however, they summon an incredibly difficult enemy assuredly going to kill anyone but the most high-level Witcher 3 players.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I__N6foEE1E

This only happens if you kill/meditate/kill cows.

Nice!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Patch is out today for PC and PS4 Patch Notes, glad they got that in.

There have been a lot of nods to other media in this game, one of the quests I have now has a quest that is a total nod to Django Unchained - the three brothers that they hunt down. There have been others, but I don't recall what they are.