Destiny

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Destiny

Post by Funkmasterr »

:lol:
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow is just being a Debbie Downer because this game is multiplatform. If it was Xbox only he'd be going on and on about how awesome it is and how it sucks for PlayStation people not to be able to play it. See all hisTitanfall posts and you'll get the idea. And Titanfall was just Call of Duty with robots!

I too got lost on the moon. One thing that the game really needs is some sort of map system since I was going in circles. I eventually made it to some level 12 Hallowed Knights (I think) and wasn't able to progress at that point since I couldn't kill them. Encountered a new enemy type some sort of sentry thing that shot a bunch of orbs. They didn't seem killable so I just ran past them.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Awesome, I didn't find them but I did find a hallowed ogre that I wad able to take down, it was pretty cool. I agree about the map, I really hope they do something about that.

Most of my other complaints had to do with PvP, some of which they've already mentioned will be resolved in the final game. I don't see myself playing too much of the PvP once the game is out though, so no big deal.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Winnow is just being a Debbie Downer because this game is multiplatform. If it was Xbox only he'd be going on and on about how awesome it is and how it sucks for PlayStation people not to be able to play it. See all hisTitanfall posts and you'll get the idea. And Titanfall was just Call of Duty with robots!
I was comparing it to other multiplatform titles so not sure how you came up with that. Titanfall also has no story, but guess what? It's pure multiplayer/pvp because of that which works. Destiny is supposed to be an MMORPG which usually comes with an interesting story/lore and interesting characters and boss mobs.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:
Aslanna wrote:Winnow is just being a Debbie Downer because this game is multiplatform. If it was Xbox only he'd be going on and on about how awesome it is and how it sucks for PlayStation people not to be able to play it. See all hisTitanfall posts and you'll get the idea. And Titanfall was just Call of Duty with robots!
I was comparing it to other multiplatform titles so not sure how you came up with that. Titanfall also has no story, but guess what? It's pure multiplayer/pvp because of that which works. Destiny is supposed to be an MMORPG which usually comes with an interesting story/lore and interesting characters and boss mobs.
They also come with a shitload of people telling the devs to change things up...get away from the vanilla expectations of the genre.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote: They also come with a shitload of people telling the devs to change things up...get away from the vanilla expectations of the genre.
I'm not even sure what that means. What changed? More importantly, what changed for the better?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Go kill 10 rats and come back to tell me about it
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
Aslanna wrote:Winnow is just being a Debbie Downer because this game is multiplatform. If it was Xbox only he'd be going on and on about how awesome it is and how it sucks for PlayStation people not to be able to play it. See all his Titanfall posts and you'll get the idea. And Titanfall was just Call of Duty with robots!
I was comparing it to other multiplatform titles so not sure how you came up with that. Titanfall also has no story, but guess what? It's pure multiplayer/pvp because of that which works.
I came up with it not as a way to compare Destiny with Tintanfall... But to show how you go on and on about shit when it's Xbox (console) exclusive.
Winnow wrote:Destiny is supposed to be an MMORPG which usually comes with an interesting story/lore and interesting characters and boss mobs.
Well that's your first misconception. Who said Destiny was "supposed to be an MMORPG"? If it had to have an MMO label I'd probably go with MMOFPS over MMORPG. There are very few RPG elements in Destiny other than you get XP and can level up along with a few other things. Beyond that you haven't even seen the whole game other than the starting area. That's like judging the whole of EverQuest based on 5 levels in Qeynos.

Let's go visit the Wiki page!
The game's style has been described as a first-person shooter that will incorporate massively multiplayer online game (MMO) elements, but Bungie has avoided defining Destiny as a traditional MMO game. Instead, the game has been referred to as a "shared-world shooter," as it lacks many of the characteristics of a traditional MMO game. For instance, rather than players being able to see and interact with all other players in the game or on a particular server—as is the case in many conventional MMO games—Destiny will include on-the-fly matchmaking that will allow players to see and interact only with other players with whom they are "matched" by the game.
Yeah that sure sounds like an MMORPG to me!

I'm not defending the game because hey people either will like it or they wont regardless of what I think. I just think you're a bit of a hypocrite because if, as I stated in my previous response, it was an Xbox exclusive I believe you'd be more enthusiastic about the game simply because you'd be trying to rub it in PlayStation owners faces. Which you can't do in this case because it's multiplatform and the superior version is on PS4! So now you're just going to hate on it instead.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:I believe you'd be more enthusiastic about the game simply because you'd be trying to rub it in PlayStation owners faces.
That is conjecture and would not stand up in a court or law!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I started a clan (Gilead Gunslingers) for PS4 if anyone wants to join. Plan on having as many friends as possible in the clan, being as you can't use matchmaking to run raids.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Destiny is a MMORPG.

Here is my only proof: I went to the hub world to vendor some trash and 5 people were dancing on the mailbox. BAM! MMORPG mutha fuckas.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Destiny is one of the best Vita Remote Play games to date

Often times Remote Play is a second thought, and requires you to make some sacrifices in control quality, but Bungie did a great job adapting Destiny for the Vita. Everything is relatively the same except for of course the absence of two buttons (L1 and R1) on the Vita and the ability to click the analog sticks (L3 and R3). The former is solved with very intuitive tap system -- a tap on the left side chucks a grenade, and a tap on the right allows for a melee attack. The sprint button is the down d-pad direction, right next to the left analog movement stick.

Tapping the right side of the screen constantly feels natural, and although the left side can be a bit jarring at first, grenades are on a respawn timer and aren't used as often. Tapping both sides of the screen uses your L1+R1 super move, which again, is only used sparingly. I really wish the Vita just had four shoulder buttons and dynamic analog sticks, but this is the next best thing.
Remote Play!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'm pretty excited for this. Took a couple days vacation for a long weekend this weekend :)
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I've got the day off tomorrow(my birthday and this launch) and the game already downloaded on my Xbox One. Tomorrow should be good.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Eh. Not sure I'd take the day off. Well maybe not with the PS4 version. A bit wary of how the servers are going to cope!

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Aslanna wrote:Eh. Not sure I'd take the day off. Well maybe not with the PS4 version. A bit wary of how the servers are going to cope!
Well if the Titanfall launch was any indicator, the game ran well the first day and that evening is when the game was unplayable. I suspect that both platforms will have issues tomorrow night. I hope that I will be proven wrong.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Bah. No split screen.
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I seriously can't believe people are complaining about that, split screen is still a thing? I've always fucking hated split screen.

I brought my Vita to work so that I could play this a bit at lunch, I've never used remote play from anywhere other than home before, but damn it works really well.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I was just hoping it was a game my wife and I could play together.

I totally understand why there is no split screen, however. Just not many couch co-op games(that I like) on the xbox one!
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Gotcha :)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:I was just hoping it was a game my wife and I could play together.

I totally understand why there is no split screen, however. Just not many couch co-op games(that I like) on the xbox one!

Just buy another Xbox One!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Buy a PS4!

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Funkmasterr wrote:I seriously can't believe people are complaining about that, split screen is still a thing? I've always fucking hated split screen.

I brought my Vita to work so that I could play this a bit at lunch, I've never used remote play from anywhere other than home before, but damn it works really well.
Interesting. After reading your comment it made me realize it's the first I've heard someone mentioning playing this via remote play on the Vita. It controls well and all that?

I've decided to wait on a sale for this one, but I'm sure I'll get it eventually.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I got the Limited Edition because.. Why not. The first two expansions are $35 so it was only $5 more than the plain copy. I don't seem to be able to claim my Vanguard Weapons though which is annoying.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:I got the Limited Edition because.. Why not. The first two expansions are $35 so it was only $5 more than the plain copy. I don't seem to be able to claim my Vanguard Weapons though which is annoying.
Yeah it seems like there is an issue with that for many people (me included). Weren't you also supposed to get a ship out something, too? I'm sure they'll get it straightened out. Played all night tonight and didn't notice any server issues, definitely a smooth launch overall.

Played a couple multiplayer matches, I'll be staying away from that until I'm leveled and geared. Even with level advantage off, they still get a considerably more fleshed out skill tree and a big advantage.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:Yeah it seems like there is an issue with that for many people (me included). Weren't you also supposed to get a ship out something, too? I'm sure they'll get it straightened out. Played all night tonight and didn't notice any server issues, definitely a smooth launch overall.
I did receive the ship but nothing at the Vanguard guy. Not sure if it's because I already had made it to the Tower before redeeming the code or not.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:Yeah it seems like there is an issue with that for many people (me included). Weren't you also supposed to get a ship out something, too? I'm sure they'll get it straightened out. Played all night tonight and didn't notice any server issues, definitely a smooth launch overall.
I did receive the ship but nothing at the Vanguard guy. Not sure if it's because I already had made it to the Tower before redeeming the code or not.
Where did the ship show up for you? I looked online and people mentioned going into settings-PSN-restore licenses resolving the issue, I tried that and it did unlock the vanguard armory for me, but still didn't give me the ship. Guess Xbox is having the same issue for digital downloads - and there is a similar solution.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The ship showed up in my inventory or whatever. Hit Options button then R1 to go to the page with the stuff you collect (such as spin metal) and where you choose the ghost skin etc.

I did try the restore license thing but still no go. Oh well I am level 10 now and probably outgrew whatever they had for me. It would be nice to have for future characters though.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:The ship showed up in my inventory or whatever. Hit Options button then R1 to go to the page with the stuff you collect (such as spin metal) and where you choose the ghost skin etc.

I did try the restore license thing but still no go. Oh well I am level 10 now and probably outgrew whatever they had for me. It would be nice to have for future characters though.

The weapons/armor that are available for me in the vanguard armory are level 10 - so might be worth trying the license thing another time or two :) From what I read, some people had to: turn on PS4, restore licenses - Turn PS4 off. Turn it back on, restore licenses again then open Destiny. Hopefully they get all this digital shit figured out because it was the same deal basically with Diablo and the items you got for pre ordering.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

My wife just came home and bought this for me for no reason, lol. I guess I'll be playing it tonight at some point.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I'm level 5 and enjoying myself. I tried some PvP and I seem to die in a single hit? I had 2 kills, 5 deaths. The top guy had 35 kills 0 deaths. I already hate PvP in this game with a passion.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

The PvP definitely needs balancing. They say that everyone's stats are normalized so everyone is equal, but legendary/exotic weapons and armor definitely still give an edge, as does having your skill tree filed out.

The way I see it, they're going to need to either take away your gear and have everyone use the same weapons for PvP, or just flat out say "higher level/better geared people are going to kick your ass, deal with it". I'm guessing neither will happen but they need to do something if they don't want to push everyone but the try hards away from PvP.

Also, they made fusion rifles ridiculously op. I got a legendary fusion rifle yesterday and was using it in PvP and was violating people, and should've been out gunned several times but won anyhow.

I'm having a blast playing this, though. I will say I wish you could have more than three people in a fire team.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

I think I am level 7 or 8. Are all the missions simple get to point A, Now go to point B, now protect your ghost from waves of enemies? I hope they mix it up a bit. I have not talked to Shaxx or whatever his name is because I am afraid to go PVP. I was shot at a bunch of time on a mission by some high level on the Pike bike thing, he seemed to realize I was not losing shields or anything, saluted me and took off. I don't want to be on missions and get grief killed over and over.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Tyek wrote:Are all the missions simple get to point A, Now go to point B, now protect your ghost from waves of enemies? I hope they mix it up a bit. I
All? No. However a majority of them are. That started to bug me by the time I got to Venus.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I know reviews are subjective but I'm not getting all these review scores of 6. Is this game a 10? No. But it's at least an 8!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Didn't seem that special to me during beta. Heartless FPSer with very limited RPG elements and PvP where you last maybe 10 seconds, die and then respawn to die again.

Only the far away painted graphics (sky, distant mountains, fake city you can't walk around in etc) looked above average with the rust colored zones being the usual stuff you see in FPS games. Class abilities are no where near as interesting as Mass Effects.

Way Over hyped when compared to classics like Mass Effects, Bioshocks, Borderlands, even the early Halos. Below average questing and NPCs, story. It has a decent soundtrack although I can see it wearing on you after awhile, with sound effects ripped right out of star wars. 6.5 is about right. When 500 Million is pumped into a game's development and advertising, it should at least get a 6+.

Didn't get the whole spaceship waiting screen either. Maybe it was put in as a time sink as that screen is completely unneeded. Cut scenes and story were awful, at least in the beta. Faceless robot dudes vaguely talking about the dark side but changed "dark side" slightly so they didn't get their asses sued by Disney.

The game doesn't make you go "wow that's cool" ever. It only takes the first 10 minutes of Mass Effect 2 to do that. A lack of anything else to play is making this game more popular than it should be.

Really, the only worthwhile thing out of the while project was the final live action commercial. That was cool. When you look back at games a few years from now, this one won't be notable. Doesn't mean you can't have fun though if FPSs are your thing. It will be a bit before this years CoDs etc are out.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Saying Destiny doesn't have good graphics pretty much invalidates your whole post!

Anyway, for people actually playing the game and not just trolling, you might find some tips for what to do once you get to level 20 here.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, his review of the entire game based on watching a few videos isn't worth shit, but we all knew that.

I've been having a blast playing this. Was it overhyped? Yeah. Did they still deliver a product that's a lot of fun to play? Definitely. I'll be playing this for the foreseeable future. I've been playing as warlock, but once I've got that completed I really want to level the other classes as well. The weekly heroic strike is definitely a good challenge if you're playing with a couple of friends. I did it last night with two buddies that are level 21 and 22, and I'm at 24. It took us probably a good hour or hour and a half, and we died a few times, but we pulled it off. The nightfall strikes are supposed to be even tougher, but you can't get those until at least level 25 - and I need a legendary gear upgrade before I'll hit 25.

Watched a little streaming of the vault of glass raid. I'm excited to take a shot at that once I've geared/leveled up a bit.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Didn't get the whole spaceship waiting screen either. Maybe it was put in as a time sink as that screen is completely unneeded.
There are these things in games called "loading screens". That happens when you can't fit a whole game in the system's memory.
Winnow wrote:Faceless robot dudes vaguely talking about the dark side but changed "dark side" slightly so they didn't get their asses sued by Disney.
It's the "darkness".. Not even the same concept as the "dark side"!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:Didn't get the whole spaceship waiting screen either. Maybe it was put in as a time sink as that screen is completely unneeded.
There are these things in games called "loading screens". That happens when you can't fit a whole game in the system's memory.
Which could have been skipped and you choose your destination from a menu while at the fake city main hub place. It's an extra screen loaded that doesn't need to be.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Which could have been skipped and you choose your destination from a menu while at the fake city main hub place. It's an extra screen loaded that doesn't need to be.
That's not very immersive.. Gotta get in your space ship before you can program in your destination!

According to the Bungie site I have 30 hours into this game already. Seems fine to me. Not really understanding the 6 scores but everyone is different.

Also while looking through the Grimoire on the site it shows Mercury, Saturn and Jupiter so I imagine those will be the next places we can go to in the expansions.

I'm level 21 now.. Not sure how much I'll really grind to get the best stuff though.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

About 37 hours here. That alone would be worth the price of the game.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Funkmasterr wrote:About 37 hours here. That alone would be worth the price of the game.
Exactly. I'm lvl 9 and have every intention of taking my warlock to lvl 20 and beyond. Raiding is out of the question thanks to the fucking retarded implementation, but I'm fine with that.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I want to raid asap. Frankly, I'm ok with no queue for raids, from what I saw in streams today random groups wouldn't clear the content 999/1000 times anyhow.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I've hit the experience level cap with 2 characters now (Warlock and Hunter) and am having fun with the game. My Warlock is L23 with the light on his gear and was motivated to do a hunter because my first purple drop was for that class. On the hunter, I went to 21 immediately upon being able equip that specific piece.

Seriously Bungie, if you're not going to have a trading system in a game, make drops class-specific.

Otherwise, I think this one has legs as a fun to play, MMO light. I'm not a big fan of the PVP game. It seems to favor certain characters. (as noted by the top 2 people on each side averaging 2.5-3 KD ratios vs everyone else doing in the 0.5 range.). I haven't tried all the modes yet however.

I enjoy the Strike Missions quite a bit and am hopefully going to be able to try the raid content eventually.

As always, if you're playing this on Xbox One, hit me up. GT: Anirask
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Animalor wrote:I've hit the experience level cap with 2 characters now (Warlock and Hunter) and am having fun with the game. My Warlock is L23 with the light on his gear and was motivated to do a hunter because my first purple drop was for that class. On the hunter, I went to 21 immediately upon being able equip that specific piece.

Seriously Bungie, if you're not going to have a trading system in a game, make drops class-specific.

Otherwise, I think this one has legs as a fun to play, MMO light. I'm not a big fan of the PVP game. It seems to favor certain characters. (as noted by the top 2 people on each side averaging 2.5-3 KD ratios vs everyone else doing in the 0.5 range.). I haven't tried all the modes yet however.

I enjoy the Strike Missions quite a bit and am hopefully going to be able to try the raid content eventually.

As always, if you're playing this on Xbox One, hit me up. GT: Anirask
The issue with the PVP is all in balance. First off, Titans have two one hit kill moves, and higher defense to get in and use those moves - this is a problem. There are other class balancing issues but this is a big one. The other issue is weapon balance - with map size and everything else accounted for, you're almost always going to come out ahead if you use a fusion rifle or a shotgun (with auto rifles being a close third). The biggest issue though is just the disparity between players of different levels/skill tree completion. People with their skill trees more filled out, or with legendary/exotic gear that is completely leveled up have an advantage. Bungie/whoever can downplay it as much as they want and say it's only a minor advantage, but in a fast paced FPS multiplayer game, a slight advantage goes a long ass way.

It's fixable - but they definitely have a lot of work to do to balance it.

I've been liking the strikes a lot, too. I've been stuck at 24 on my warlock for a long time due to not getting any legendary gear (just weapons so far), but some time this week I'll have my vanguard faction to rank 2,and I have enough vanguard marks for two pieces of gear. I'm excited because I'd like to be able to start taking a shot at the weekly nightfall mission.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Lucked out in a major way last night and got my first Exotic drop. It's a sniper rifle that once I level up a bit, will render me invisible when I look through the scope.

http://www.bungie.net/en/Legend/1/46116 ... 60512#gear
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Nice, grats! Still no exotics for me, I've got two legendary machine guns and an extremely awesome (and overpowered, honestly) legendary fusion rifle.

Me
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I just (finally) got a legendary sniper rifle after farming for like 3 hours. I was working on getting a piece from the vanguard guy but turns out when you have a faction cloak on you don't also get vanguard faction when doing bounties. For some reason I thought you'd get both. You don't! It took me awhile to figure out why my vanguard faction was not increasing.

I've only done a few strikes so far. They seem alright for now but I could see them getting repetitive. So far its been: boss with lots of HP and waves of adds every minute or so.

I'll probably start two other characters just because I get things that when you turn in gives you glimmer on all characters so... No reason not to!

I haven't messed with PvP at all. No real interest in doing so at this juncture.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

My first major complaint: The weekly heroic strike does not have matchmaking. Which makes no sense since the other Strikes have it. As you get Strange Coins from that, which you can use to buy exotic items on the weekend from Xur, that sort of sucks if you don't know anyone online. I tried to do it solo and yeah that didn't turn out very well.

--