Dark Souls II

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Dark Souls II

Post by Winnow »

Skip it.

Unless you area HUGE fan of the series, this game looks, feel, and plays dated.

Graphics: bad (not because they are last gen, they are outright bad)

Character Creation: bad (what use are choices when everything looks horrible no matter what you choose?)

Story/Cut Scenes: horrible

UI: bad

Intro/Tutorial: bad

That's as far as I got before I had to turn it off out of disgust.

Some people saying it's regurgitated Dark Souls I but it seems even worse. I was a big fan of Demons Soul. The difficulty made it interesting. With Dark Souls II, it looks like the creators cared less about it than the people that made Lightning Returns.

Game scores should be from -10 to 10 instead of 1-10. The crappiest of games should have negative rating on how much of a waste they are to play.

I would wait until the publisher offers you $60.00 to play it. You should be paid to play this crap.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Dark Souls II

Post by Aslanna »

Reviews starting to come in.. Looks like you're as wrong about this as you were with Fuse.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Reviews starting to come in.. Looks like you're as wrong about this as you were with Fuse.
I'm surprised the reviews are that high.

You can pull up my comments on the lengthy Demons Soul thread from years back and see that I was a big fan so it's not like I'm reviewing this game blind to the way it approaches things. It looks crappy and the cut scenes/story looked dated and generic. Perhaps I'm jaded from getting used to ps4/XB1 graphics. Going through the tutorial, the mechanics felt crappy. Maybe it's the PS3 controller which sucks so bad for this kind of game...the loose, horrible joystick placement for FPS type games that irks me so much.

They could have updated the engine while maintaining the difficulty.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Dark Souls II: Great game, but a bit crusty on consoles. Eurogamer's Digital Foundry has got a detailed breakdown of the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the new (very good) Dark Souls II. It sounds like neither version is without its share of technical issues, though they say the 360 version is the smoother one in terms of frame-rate.
Better on Xbox (not to mention the much better controller on Xbox for this kind of game)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Good to know!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

We’ve all experienced the game graphics they put on the back of the box. Usually the images will have a disclaimer underneath stating “graphics may vary by platform” or specifically listing which platform the screenshots were captured from. Publishers always choose the best one, of course.

But anyone picking up Dark Souls II this week on PS3 or Xbox 360 may feel mislead by developer From Software and publisher Bandai Namco. That’s because the graphics shown off in preview videos over the last year look nothing like the final game. And by that I mean they look much, much better than what has been delivered in the final game.

Gamers have already started complaining, with the hashtags #DarkSoulsDowngrade and #YOULIED being popular associations. Complaints are also being made directly to the US and UK offices of Bandai Namco, as well as advertising standards agencies.

The game won’t change on PS3 or Xbox 360 unless a graphics tweak patch is in development, but that seems unlikely. The worst that could happen is Bandai Namco gets its hands slapped for false advertising and that sales suffer because of the negative press.
http://www.geek.com/games/gamers-misled ... y-1587941/

As I said, it looks like crap!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

They aren't complaining that they look bad. They are complaining that they don't look like they were shown in previous videos/screenshots.

Gamers = whiners. Developers will simply just stop showing early screens. PROBLEM SOLVED.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

And by that I mean they look much, much better than what has been delivered in the final game.
Seems to me they are complaining that they don't look nearly as good.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

The game looks great for last Gen, and damn near every single review by critics or users on Metacritic says exactly that. It's a good game with higher score than a lot Of the games you champion for. Just shut the fuck up about it already.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Seems to me they are complaining that they don't look nearly as good.
That's because you are mentally defective, as has previously been etablished.
That’s because the graphics shown off in preview videos over the last year look nothing like the final game.
Read and understand the article. People are complaining because they don't look as good AS WHAT HAS PREVIOUSLY BEEN SHOWN PRIOR TO LAUNCH.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Dark Souls 2 PS4 framerate much better than Xbox One version, Digital Foundry shows

Digital Foundry has a wonderful performance analysis of the game and, while the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions both run at a perfect 1080p resolution, the frame rate is much steadier on the PlayStation 4.

"Xbox One pays a persistent price for matching the PS4's visual standard. Both formats target 60fps and engage v-sync at all times, but Microsoft's platform suffers the greater drops between the two in each scene of our frame-rate analysis," the article states.

"The Forest of Fallen Giants area is a good example, where a barrage of enemies causes a read-out of between 40-50fps on Xbox One, while PS4 operates within the 50-60fps range. Even while uncontested beneath the giant, arching trees of Things Betwixt, a regular margin of 10fps exists between the two — PS4 operating at a near perfect 60fps, while Xbox stutters along at 50fps."
Better on PlayStation (not to mention the much better controller on PlayStation for this kind of game)

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Didn't know they were re-releasing this on PS4, I never got far into it last gen so I'll have to do that.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Finally got around to playing the Scholar of the First Sin edition of this - I'm having fun with it. I just started in earnest maybe 2 weeks back, and I'm trying to push through it before 3 comes out. I don't have any major complaints with this game, but that being said it's cool that Mizayaki was back on DS3 - I'm really looking forward to that game and some of the changes they've made to things.