The Official NextBox Thread!

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: The Official NextBox Thread!

Post by Aslanna »

Nice job on catching up to where Sony was two years ago, Microsoft!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

This week a remastered edition of 2009's Prototype and 2012's Prototype 2 quietly slipped onto the online stores for Xbox One and PlayStation 4, with practically no marketing. Eurogamer's Digital Foundry seems to have found an answer why: The games run slower on Xbox One than they did on the Xbox 360.

While both Prototype and Prototype 2 play in a higher resolution of 1080p, the game's framerate slows considerably during combat sequences, Eurogamer says. Cutscenes in Prototype 2 also suffer from a glaring stutter, and in-game travel unfolds at 20 to 25 frames per second with a lot of screen tearing. In battle, it can get slower.

"Worse still is the fact PS3 completely overshadows Xbox One in playability," Eurogamer notes. "Throughout our tests, Sony's last-gen machine runs with no tearing at all, and yet still manages to consistently best both Xbox machines in frame-rate, both old and new."
Nice. Even the PS3 can outperform the Xbox One!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I thought no one cared about old games! Can't have it both ways!
Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neziroth »

<a href="http://www.fictionpress.com/~mjlb">See the other side...</a>

Feel free to share your thoughts~
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

While I agree PS4 is the better choice that "news" story isn't true.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Apparently you have to pay people good money to say positive shit about Xbox.

http://kotaku.com/ftc-slams-youtube-gro ... 1728237588
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Xbox One ups party chat invites to 12 in new update
Not a bad change. I can't imagine 12 people all talking at once though. 8 is bad enough. Having the option though is nice I guess. No complaints from me there!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Xbox head: I don't know if we can beat Sony
Why do you have to "beat" them? Just do your own shit and make your environment the best you can for your customers.
Reversing that mindset feeds directly into Xbox's ultimate goal these days: Gaining as many customers as it can. Spencer says that his team isn't even motivated by beating Sony anymore. According to him, it just wants to build a platform that's for the consumer, not for the people making it. He thinks that doing that will gain back that trust, which will, in turn, lead to more people adopting the Xbox One.
Exactly. I'll never buy an XBO but it has nothing to do with "trust".

a) I don't like the product b) Paying for one online service is enough and c) I don't have enough time to devote to multiple platforms. One is enough.

PS4 is the superior product. Nobody can deny that. If some people want to slum it on the XBO hey more power to them!

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Aslanna wrote:PS4 is the superior product. Nobody can deny that. If some people want to slum it on the XBO hey more power to them!
Bullshit, Winnow denies that all of the time! Wait, is Winnow nobody?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: PS4 is the superior product. Nobody can deny that. If some people want to slum it on the XBO hey more power to them!
Did you own an Xbox 360?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
Aslanna wrote: PS4 is the superior product. Nobody can deny that. If some people want to slum it on the XBO hey more power to them!
Did you own an Xbox 360?
Maybe I did. How is that relevant?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

But Microsoft has eleventy billion servers, how can they possibly not be winning?!?!!1
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:
Did you own an Xbox 360?
Xbox 360 was the best console last generation. If you didn't own one your point is mute as it's just a Sony fanboi talking! That's the relevance. If you owned one, great! I criticize consoles but have owned both Sony and Microsoft consoles the past three generations.

Microsoft has won 2 out of the past 3 generations for best console (not talking sales) and all three if you consider the controller. PS3's Honeycomb/George Foreman grill was bullshit. PS4 has the better specs this generation but Microsoft could easily make that just a bump in the road and take next generation as well. They have the megabucks to do it. Xbox One/PS4 generation equates to a bad hair day for Microsoft. They have ZERO reliance on Xbox sales to feed their monster revenues each quarter. Either they''ll squash Sony next gen or possibly even get out of consoles altogether. Sony, on the other hand, just made yet another division to split their profitable Sensors to. They've sold off multiple divisions already. You can never write off Microsoft. They've even made Surface profitable after a BILLION dollar write off the first year.

Whether you know it now or figure it out in a couple years, VR is the future of gaming. Morpheus and HoloLens won't get the job done but the next generation will. I see either a move back to PCs or a new dedicated VR platform soon. If Sony and Microsoft don't get on board they'll both be left in the dust. There are already 8K displays the size of tablets (33+ Million pixels). VR at that resolution will be mind blowing. Sure poor people will still get their giggles with Nintendos but anyone that experiences that kind of resolution in VR isn't going back if they can afford it.

Microsoft miscalculated. They could have stretched out Xbox 360 another year and lost some initial sales to PS4 but then came out with a more powerful console that actually runs 1080P/60FPS unlike either console can do without coughing up a lung losing FPS, stuttering etc. I'm sure next gen will have the same issues struggling with 4K gaming. Grats to Sony for this generation's better hardware (minus controller).
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:
Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:
Did you own an Xbox 360?
Xbox 360 was the best console last generation. If you didn't own one your point is mute as it's just a Sony fanboi talking!
moot

I owned two Xbox 360's that each RROD'd
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Xbox 360 was the best console last generation. If you didn't own one your point is mute as it's just a Sony fanboi talking! That's the relevance. If you owned one, great! I criticize consoles but have owned both Sony and Microsoft consoles the past three generations.
Mute! I think you meant "moop".

I guess I posses a super fuckin valid point then as I own 4 360s. I just decided PlayStation is the environment I want to be in and support with my money. Fuck Microsoft.
Winnow wrote:Microsoft has won 2 out of the past 3 generations for best console (not talking sales) and all three if you consider the controller
Uh. What? The original Xbox lost like.. Millions (billion?) of dollars. Not even sure how you can make that statement. The original xbox had the best controller? You're on crack. (Crack is whack). If you're not talking sales then how do you measure "winning"?

Honestly in the end who gives a shit which console sells more than the other. If you like what your console maker is doing, great. That's all that matters.
Winnow wrote:Either they''ll squash Sony next gen or possibly even get out of consoles altogether.
Oh yeah.. Sure.. NEXT gen is where it will happen lolz. 4th time is the charm?
Winnow wrote: Sure poor people will still get their giggles with Nintendos but anyone that experiences that kind of resolution in VR isn't going back if they can afford it.
I have no response to this other than "wow". "poor people"?

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Without wading too deep into the rest of the argument since, superior is a matter of point of view.

Does the PS4 have superior specs, Undoubtedly. Does it have more marketshare, of course. Online service availability or stability? No idea, I don't have both.

As far as software, service and overall versatility, I don't think that Sony can match what Microsoft is making this machine do. The PC streaming alone is crazy. Backwards compatibility works exceedingly well. The new dashboard, I can report has almost completely eliminated the loading times from the original, shipping dashboard. The Windows 8/snapping stuff is almost completely gone now.

Microsoft is at it's best when they're fighting back. Winning is not good for them, Is that an American thing?

I was happy with my console when I got it and it's gotten nothing but better in the last year two years.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Uh. What? The original Xbox lost like.. Millions (billion?) of dollars. Not even sure how you can make that statement. The original xbox had the best controller? You're on crack. (Crack is whack). If you're not talking sales then how do you measure "winning"?
I said it was the better console, not the better selling console. Microsoft has had the better console the previous two generations in specs. Since it seems, proved by this forum, that most people can't tell the difference between anything above 480p, The slight loss in specs this generation shouldn't matter. Marketing and social engineering is where Sony won this round. Both companies should have waited until their hardware could put out solid 1080P/60FPS games. Both failed at meeting the spec which should have been standard for this gen.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Definitely all about preference, I've recently been using my One again for rock band 4 (since I had bought all the dlc on the 360), and I still can't stand anything about the dashboard, the store layout is terrible, I just can't stand anything Microsoft is doing with Windows/Xbox.

The PS4 is much more streamlined and easy to use.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Xbone set up...UI is, um, bad? Got the FIFA 16 bundle for some dumbass reason. I already have the deluxe version that I've been playing on the PS4. EA Access for a year is how I justify it to myself, and at least it came with a game that I might play. hehe

Pre-downloading Halo 5, if it will ever install past 27%

Already received multiple spam messages. Welcome back to Xbox Live! That's something I haven't experienced on the PlayStation.

I also have a bunch of you bastards on my friend list, even though I don't remember who most of the Live names go with :P
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Boogahz wrote:Xbone set up...UI is, um, bad? Got the FIFA 16 bundle for some dumbass reason.
Sucker!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:Xbone set up...UI is, um, bad? Got the FIFA 16 bundle for some dumbass reason. I already have the deluxe version that I've been playing on the PS4. EA Access for a year is how I justify it to myself, and at least it came with a game that I might play. hehe

Pre-downloading Halo 5, if it will ever install past 27%

Already received multiple spam messages. Welcome back to Xbox Live! That's something I haven't experienced on the PlayStation.

I also have a bunch of you bastards on my friend list, even though I don't remember who most of the Live names go with :P
I think mine is Dandelo19. I'll be playing the shit out of halo, so I'll keep an eye out for you.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Totally noobish Xbone question....can you actually close a game or app on this thing? I don't mean going back to the home screen, but I actually want them to stop running. Can this be done? If so, I am clearly missing the 10 button key combo to do so.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:Totally noobish Xbone question....can you actually close a game or app on this thing? I don't mean going back to the home screen, but I actually want them to stop running. Can this be done? If so, I am clearly missing the 10 button key combo to do so.
Press the menu button while the game is selected on the desktop. Select Quit.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:
Boogahz wrote:Totally noobish Xbone question....can you actually close a game or app on this thing? I don't mean going back to the home screen, but I actually want them to stop running. Can this be done? If so, I am clearly missing the 10 button key combo to do so.

Thanks, that works. Talk about doing things in a roundabout way!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Boogahz wrote:
Winnow wrote:

Thanks, that works. Talk about doing things in a roundabout way!
Basically the same way it works on PS4.

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Maybe I do it wrong on the PS4 then. I just hold the PlayStation button while still in the game, and then choose Close Application. No need to go to the dashboard first!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Boogahz wrote:Maybe I do it wrong on the PS4 then. I just hold the PlayStation button while still in the game, and then choose Close Application. No need to go to the dashboard first!
I see. I never did it that way. But that does sound easier and makes sense since PS4 is such a well designed system. I normally just find it in the XMB thingie, hit Options then Close Application.

Choose your own adventure!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:Maybe I do it wrong on the PS4 then. I just hold the PlayStation button while still in the game, and then choose Close Application. No need to go to the dashboard first!
Why do you close games? I can't remember ever needing to close a game on Xbox One or PS4.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:
Why do you close games? I can't remember ever needing to close a game on Xbox One or PS4.
Because the Xbone gets hot enough to melt my TV stand even when it isn't working at running programs in the background! I don't think I will even need to turn on my heater during our one freeze this Winter now that I have this thing :P
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Why did you even buy it!?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Peer pressure :?
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Welp persistance paid off today. I've been trying to score an Elite Controller for the better part of a week and a half now as my present from my wife. Been checking the websites of most of the major retailers up here hoping to get lucky.

Today during lunch Amazon had a few up for sale!

Never hit that 1-touch buy button so fast before.

Within 15 minutes they were all gone. Looking forward to trying that thing out!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Animalor wrote:Welp persistance paid off today. I've been trying to score an Elite Controller for the better part of a week and a half now as my present from my wife. Been checking the websites of most of the major retailers up here hoping to get lucky.

Today during lunch Amazon had a few up for sale!

Never hit that 1-touch buy button so fast before.

Within 15 minutes they were all gone. Looking forward to trying that thing out!
Sob.. I've been checking around for them too, kinda giving up hope for the time being.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

What is the actual benefit to those things?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

You can re-map all of the buttons, change out the sticks/dpad/etc with different parts. The big one is the paddles on the rear of the controller; there are four of them which you can also map to any button. So, you could have them mapped to the face buttons so that during a FPS game you could use those buttons and never have to take your fingers of the sticks. Once you get used to it, it is a pretty huge advantage for those types of games. That being said, I can see a lot of games where they wouldn't hold much value over a normal controller.

I just hope that Sony comes out with something similar to this as I'd use it much more on the Playstation - I'm essentially buying it for Halo on the Xbox.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:You can re-map all of the buttons, change out the sticks/dpad/etc with different parts. The big one is the paddles on the rear of the controller; there are four of them which you can also map to any button. So, you could have them mapped to the face buttons so that during a FPS game you could use those buttons and never have to take your fingers of the sticks. Once you get used to it, it is a pretty huge advantage for those types of games. That being said, I can see a lot of games where they wouldn't hold much value over a normal controller.

I just hope that Sony comes out with something similar to this as I'd use it much more on the Playstation - I'm essentially buying it for Halo on the Xbox.
They are basically Scuf controllers. You can find something similar already for your PS4!
Many of the features of the Elite controller aren’t actually unique to Microsoft’s peripheral. In fact, a company called Scuf Gaming has been developing and offering such customization for a while, and they have the patents to backup their work. So, rather than face a potential lawsuit in the near future, Microsoft decided to work with Scuf.
In total, Scuf has 17 patents, and 34 patents pending relating to the Elite Controller. How did Microsoft handle licensing those patents? By making Scuff the exclusive official third-party accessory partner for Xbox One Elite Wireless Controller.
MS will probably buy them out before too long.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

From what I've heard from people I know that use them, the Scuf controllers feel like pieces of trash compared to the Elite controller. Wasn't a shining recommendation to go out and buy one. Although I might anyhow, who knows.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

An Elite controller for a PS4 would be a standard Xbox One controller.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

/yawn

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

If you're getting a new console for Christmas don't expect to use it online. Seems like retards, who I wont name, have said they will be DDoSing (not hacking) Xbox Live and PSN this year.
I get asked a lot on why we do this? Why do we take down PSN and Xbox Live? Because cyber security does not exist. PSN and Xbox don’t use that money to improve their security…. So until they open their eyes Xbox Live and PSN will remain vulnerable.
You don't get brought down by a DDoS attack due to poor "cyber security" so that's a stupid statement to begin with.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xmas day should be spent with family, not playing games!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Aslanna wrote:If you're getting a new console for Christmas don't expect to use it online. Seems like retards, who I wont name, have said they will be DDoSing (not hacking) Xbox Live and PSN this year.
I get asked a lot on why we do this? Why do we take down PSN and Xbox Live? Because cyber security does not exist. PSN and Xbox don’t use that money to improve their security…. So until they open their eyes Xbox Live and PSN will remain vulnerable.
You don't get brought down by a DDoS attack due to poor "cyber security" so that's a stupid statement to begin with.
This is coming from the same people that think they've "hacked" someone's Facebook account by picking up their phone.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Ever since Xbox One and PS4 was released, Microsoft`s console have been under constant critique that their hardware is much less capable than PS4`s hardware.
After all the PS4 have 18 compute units (1152 cores) while Xbox One had to settle with 12 compute units (768 cores).

This is about to change. Microsoft and AMD have been secretly working together to make a more powerful GPU for the Xbox One, and since the GPU is embedded in one chip, it means Xbox One will get a new APU. One can wonder what architecture the CPU part of the APU will be based on (Zen perhaps?), but some console users have noticed the name "Xbox One Polaris" flashed during Netflix usage with their Xbox One.

We know that AMD`s upcoming next generation GPU architecture will be called Polaris, so it seems that Microsoft is about to release a refreshed Xbox One based on the newest GPU architecture
I don't see how that helps the 15 (20?) million existing XBOs so I'm not sure how that would work. File this one under 'Pointless BS'.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

With equal power, the Xbox is the better console so it would matter for the next few years until next gen again.

It would probably support true 1080/60 and maybe limited 4K, or smoother 4K video etc.

Microsoft can't make enough of their Elite controllers. 10 X the demand expected...and people didn't think controllers mattered... Xbox already has the better ergonomic controller and the demand for the 150.00 (crazy price) elite shows controllers matter and companies that keep non ergonomic joystick setups don't get that (they want pretty looking things instead of functional)

PS4 is going to require an extra Wii sized box for the Morpheus VR headset (called Playstation VR now I think) Microsoft might be dreaming something up that wouldn't require an extra external box. Every Oculus Rift sold will include and Xbox controller. Oculus/Microsoft already have working relationship going so it wouldn't surprise me if the new box supported the Rift which would be a much better device over Playstation's due to hardware limitations.

There have been rumors of an updated PS4 model as well so no need to snipe one company's rumors.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:With equal power, the Xbox is the better console so it would matter for the next few years until next gen again.

<blah blah blah>

There have been rumors of an updated PS4 model as well so no need to snipe one company's rumors.
No (smart) company is going to upgrade the graphics/cpu on a console in the middle of it's lifecycle. Are developers then going to tune games for the 'new' model or the old?

I know it's hard but use some common sense once in awhile! Then again this is Microsoft we're talking about so anything is possible since they are in desperation mode over there in the Xbox division.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:With equal power, the Xbox is the better console so it would matter for the next few years until next gen again.

<blah blah blah>

No (smart) company is going to upgrade the graphics/cpu on a console in the middle of it's lifecycle. Are developers then going to tune games for the 'new' model or the old?

I know it's hard but use some common sense once in awhile! Then again this is Microsoft we're talking about so anything is possible since they are in desperation mode over there in the Xbox division.
Um can tune for both. Unless it's a totally different platform you can have settings/drivers for an enhanced console in the same game.

It's doubtful Microsoft is in desperation mode. They have BILLIONS they can burn for fun and they won the last two generations so if they get moving, this is just a bump in the road and we might get another George Foreman grill bust from Sony next gen. Fans remember bullshit promises and paper launch games that are delayed for years. You get one brainwash event. Sony took advantage of dumb people and Microsoft was way too assuming that people had a clue with regard to digital software. There are still morons out there buying hard copies of games as if they think it's cool to line them up on a shelf similar to the dusty rotting compact disks they sit next to.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well good luck with your gimped XBO once the 'new' version is released.

BTW I seriously doubt developers, at least non-first party developers, will waste time optimizing for two different XBOs. If you think they will you're a moron!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Well good luck with your gimped XBO once the 'new' version is released.

BTW I seriously doubt developers, at least non-first party developers, will waste time optimizing for two different XBOs. If you think they will you're a moron!
I think you're imagining optimization to be harder than it is. Probably because you came from the Honeycomb PS3 which was totally whack architecture. Think AMD vs nVidia cards on a PC. Are there two versions of the game sold on the PC due to different cards and/or CPUs? I'll answer that. No there isn't!

One would have a better framerate and/or resolution than the PS4, the other one wouldn't. Those that care about it will get a new Xbox, those that don't will use what they have...kind of like phones...you know iOS is supported several years back but the same apps work on all phones. AMAZING!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Keep living in your fantasy world!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Platinum has pushed back their Xbox One-exclusive action-RPG Scalebound to next year. “This will give us the time needed to bring to life all the innovative features and thrilling gameplay experiences that we have planned.”
2017! Delaybox One amirite?! hahalolol

(Note that I technically don't care about a game being delayed but certain others around here like to harp on shit anytime a PS4 game is delayed for some unknown reason.)

--