The Official NextBox Thread!

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

The Official NextBox Thread!

Post by Fairweather Pure »

News and rumors go here folks!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: The Official NextBox Thread!

Post by Aslanna »

You forgot the "blows" part!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Here's the next shitty Xbox rumor. It's a doozy too. It sounds too crazy too be true, but there have been rumblings about several of the latest Xbox rumors for quite some time, from no used games to Kinect 2.0 playing a huge part in the system. I don't like seeing these rumors boil to the surface so close to the actual system announcement.

http://kotaku.com/5982986/we-know-all-a ... ve-got-one

As we reported a year ago, the new version of the Kinect motion-control sensor array will be included with every Durango sold. The unit seems far superior to the one currently found for the Xbox 360 (or the PC, for that matter).

Perhaps most importantly, this isn't an optional accessory. It's mandatory. Not only does a Kinect ship with every console, but it must be plugged in and calibrated for the console to even function.
Always online and Kinect 2.0 mandatory? I mean, damn. That is some Big Brother shit right there. It's rumored that thing can track up to 8 bodies at once right down to fingers and facial expressions. I can't be the only one freaked out by that, right? I'm also concerned that I don't have a spot in my media room to place the Kinect without it looking like shit.

I haven't heard a single positive rumor yet about the Nextbox yet.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's a positive rumor for you.

There's been no word of a change to the Xbox controller ergonomics which puts it leagues ahead of the PS4 rumors which say their crappy controller will remain the same dimensions.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

But I thought you guys loved Kinect.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:Here's a positive rumor for you.

There's been no word of a change to the Xbox controller ergonomics which puts it leagues ahead of the PS4 rumors which say their crappy controller will remain the same dimensions.
Actually, the current rumor is MS is changing the controller just enough so that existing 360 controllers will not work with the new system.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Winnow wrote:Here's a positive rumor for you.

Actually, the current rumor is MS is changing the controller just enough so that existing 360 controllers will not work with the new system.
Sweet. Get the PC adapter and use the old controller to play F2P Tera Online and other PC games.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Curious if the 360 controller people are trying to hold the PS3 controller in the same way. I tried that and it's rather uncomfortable. Need to hold each one individually! 360 is definitely more griplike. With the Dualshock I actually bend my wrists in slightly and hold it more loosely. Not to mention the d-pad sucks on the 360! So in that regard I hope the PS4 controller doesn't change all that much since it's quite comfortable as it is. Unless you have giant gorilla hands.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This was found in video from new Bungie Online game announcement:

Looks like maybe Xbox Infinity will be new console name.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Xbox Infinity would be a terrible name.

It also looks like an 8 on it's side. Which reminds me of Windows 8. Therefore one can deduce that the next xbox will be as terrible as Windows 8.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:There's been no word of a change to the Xbox controller ergonomics which puts it leagues ahead of the PS4 rumors which say their crappy controller will remain the same dimensions.
Or has there?
The Durango controller will make the best-in-class Xbox 360 controller even better. It will have low-latency wireless connectivity to the console, and improve ergonomics. System interactions that use the controller will be simplified to make them easier for noncore gamers.
Maybe it will actually be comfortable now.

Durango will implement different power states so that it can always be powered on, but will draw minimal electricity when not in use. The console will be ready instantly when users want to play,and will always maintain a network connection so that console software and games are always current. With this ‘Always On, Always Connected’ design, users will quickly and easily enjoy their connected entertainment experiences, with no waiting for the console to restart or install updates.
Every Durango console will be sold with a new high-fidelity Kinect Sensor, which will be required for the system to operate
Big Brother is watching.

Always on. Always connected. Sounds awesome!

--
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I guess I don't really understand the backlash against always having to be connected to the internet. I'm always connected to the internet anyway.

And I sort of like the idea of not having to wait for updates. I use my consoles so infrequently now that every time I do turn my xbox on, I have to wait a half hour for updates to be applied.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sylvus wrote:I guess I don't really understand the backlash against always having to be connected to the internet. I'm always connected to the internet anyway.

And I sort of like the idea of not having to wait for updates. I use my consoles so infrequently now that every time I do turn my xbox on, I have to wait a half hour for updates to be applied.
People with bandwidth caps care. People without Internet at all or spotty Internet at best care. There are still people that simply cannot afford to pay for the Internet at all and they care. You'll care the first time you go to play a single player game and you can't because you're Internet is not working.

You have to be able to take a step back from your situation and understand that always online is a pretty big deal to a lot of people fir a wide variety of reasons. My main issue is that there has yet to be a perfect online launch in the history of the Internet and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Fucking over single player for no reason is a pretty big deal to me.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I want to be able to use the shit I've paid for when I want, whether I'm connected to the internet or not, it's the principle for me. There have been several times where people have asked me to bring Rock Band with to a cabin and all we can play is the songs that came on disc because you can't use the stuff you've downloaded if you aren't online. Shit like that isn't cool with me, however rare it is.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:There are still people that simply cannot afford to pay for the Internet at all and they care.
What? If they can't afford the internet they probably shouldn't be buying the latest console and certainly can't afford those 60.00 games. Maybe pick up a used Wii for like $10.00. If they can't afford internet they probably also have a shit ass TV and most likely are using composite to connect their video signal. Hell, most of you were perfectly happy with the crappy Wii's 480P graphics so what's the problem? Poor people don't get nice stuff. They get food stamps.

People are getting all excited over always on. It's simply not going to be the case that you have to have your console on to play a single player game unless you're streaming it from the cloud or something. If there's a backlash against certain companies (EA) that try to go the "always on" route, they'll get the hint or go out of business...on the flip side, maybe you'll just have to deal with it or go play that awesome Wii U. Sales are horrible for that horrible Nintendo console. At this point they'd probably blow your grandfather if it got them another console sale.

While Sony has publicly stated that they will leave the used game resale question in the hands of the game companies, Microsoft has said nothing yet, so focus your wrath on Sony for now instead of wild speculation about Microsoft, which is a company that I would much rather trust with anything to do with online than an incompetent Sony.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

People are getting all excited over always on. It's simply not going to be the case that you have to have your console on to play a single player game unless you're streaming it from the cloud or something.
It's too early to say that. Although to be honest based on the details leaked so far it's too early for certain to say the opposite. Regardless, don't be so sure about that until MS actually announces their product.
While Sony has publicly stated that they will leave the used game resale question in the hands of the game companies, Microsoft has said nothing yet, so focus your wrath on Sony for now instead of wild speculation about Microsoft, which is a company that I would much rather trust with anything to do with online than an incompetent Sony.
Why would we have wrath for Sony? That's pretty much the current environment with "online passes" that both Microsoft and Sony have with their current generation consoles so I don't see how that changes anything. Do you honestly think MS will be more liberal with this than they currently are? I mean I know you love Microsoft and all but be realistic. If anything they'll leave it as-is, and be no different than Sony, or go all used game nazi and tie each game to a specific console. Based on what Sony has already released I predict them to go the same route as Sony otherwise it will be a rather large knock against them.

Personally from what I've seen there is zero chance I will be getting Microsofts next console. I am currently leaning towards the PS4 but that really depends on the details released in the next 6+ months. I really don't have a problem skipping the next generation altogether and just sticking with PC gaming. I really think Microsoft has gone a bit insane lately and is out of touch with the average gamer. They really need to do much better with Live Gold this next go around. It's ridiculous that people have to spend $60 (retail.. obviously can usually find it around $35 if you look) for the ability to play online multiplayer games.
Last edited by Aslanna on March 28, 2013, 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:There are still people that simply cannot afford to pay for the Internet at all and they care.
What? If they can't afford the internet they probably shouldn't be buying the latest console and certainly can't afford those 60.00 games. Maybe pick up a used Wii for like $10.00. If they can't afford internet they probably also have a shit ass TV and most likely are using composite to connect their video signal. Hell, most of you were perfectly happy with the crappy Wii's 480P graphics so what's the problem? Poor people don't get nice stuff. They get food stamps.
My parents recently went through very hard financial times through no fault of their own. They lost their home and many of their things. As of right now, they cannot afford an Internet connection. They have a launch Xbox 360 with about 8 games, all bought used. I cannot help but think of my parent's situation and the situation of others who would be double fucked by an always online system.

Lots of people have it rough in the world. Stop shitting on poor people. It's out of touch and goes beyond insulting into the realm of being cruel for the sake of it.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'm not calling him a trust fund baby like some around here do, because I don't know his life situation. What I do know is one way or the other he isn't hurting financially and is clearly out of touch with the financial reality that most people live with. I can also pretty much assure you that isn't going to change, so just roll your eyes and move on.

My budget is going to be tight in the coming months, so I'll only be getting one console anywhere near release unless something changes considerably between now and then. If Sony gets their act together with their online infrastructure, Microsoft is going to have to bring their A game big time to make their console my purchase. But, like Aslanna there are deal breakers that could be revealed about either console between now and then that could push me into going back to primarily PC gaming. In the end like most people I'm going to do what's right for me as a consumer, I have no loyalty to console gaming or either company that will change that.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It's too early to be deciding anything...except that the next Xbox will have the better controller (the joystick placement on the PS4 controller assures that)
Aslanna wrote:I mean I know you love Microsoft and all but be realistic. If anything they'll leave it as-is, and be no different than Sony, or go all used game nazi and tie each game to a specific console. Based on what Sony has already released I predict them to go the same route as Sony otherwise it will be a rather large knock against them.
I think it's pretty obvious I don't love a particular company. I buy/use the best products in each category of electronics. Reading these forums should point out that I buy Apple mobile products but prefer Windows Based desktop PCs. I don't have a single brand loyalty.

In the 80's, I owned almost all Sony products. Times change.

I don't care one bit about used games. I buy games new or pirate them. If I buy them, I want the company that created the game to get my money. Game Stops and any other little console games stores that sell used games are a joke and their days are numbered. I don't care if they cease to exist.

Take a look back at how fast new formats are being adopted. The time it takes to convert to new formats is accelerating and it's not necessarily bad. Take music for example. With Spotify and other all-in-one music services available for cheap, who cares if you own a CD or even if you own the digital song you bought. Hard copies of Comics/Magazines/Newspapers...all fading away fast. Netflix/Amazon/Hulu etc are doing the same for Movies and TV. It's out of touch people that still want the hard copies of movies/music, etc. The current younger generation won't give a shit about that stuff.

Console games may be next. Subscription type services aren't far off with these new cloud based game streaming services. Sony already announced their plans for streaming their old games.

Neflix was $70/share a few months ago. It's close to $200.00 now. People wise with their money know what's happening.

If you head into this next generation of consoles still thinking "hard copy", you're living in the past. I posted another thread that shows the number of networked devices DOUBLING in the next two years. Devices are connected these days and it's increasing at an unbelievable pace. I can download 50GB in less than an hour. That was unthinkable just a few years ago. All you need to do is read through the Broadband speed thread right here on VV to see how fast speeds are increasing.

Even borderline poor people have smart phones. Perhaps Sony and Microsoft will use them as well to authenticate if mom and pop can't swing the bill for cable. Nothing against poor people, but if you can't afford it, read a book. It's not in the constitution anywhere that all people must have access to console games.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Two Kotaku sources have added more credence to the rumor that the next Xbox, expected to battle the PlayStation 4 in late 2013 or early 2014, will be an always-online system, though it will be able to tolerate dropped connections.

"Unless something has changed recently," one of the sources told us over email, "Durango consumer units must have an active internet connection to be used."

"If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started," the source continued. "If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time--currently three minutes, if I remember correctly--the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."

The PS4 will not require an online connection to start or run games, Sony has confirmed. No gaming console ever has.
That said, a caution and a caveat: other sources familiar with the codenamed Durango console have told us that they are still unaware of any Microsoft plans regarding an online requirement. No one has been able to say it's not true and some have speculated that this is required at the operating system level and therefore isn't something Microsoft has to tell all developers or retail partners. Microsoft also has the ability to change this type of requirement seemingly at a moment's notice through changes in firmware or networking infrastructure.
No idea why MS wants to go that route if true. Well maybe a bit of an idea. Oh well let the consumers vote with their wallets. Some people wont care. For others it's a guaranteed dealbreaker.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Dont get me wrong, that's a deal breaker for me, and I'm starting to think Microsoft might actually be this stupid. That being said, kotaku is worthless and I wouldn't trust anything I read there.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kotaku is full of shit. They said "will require" in the title when they really don't know. It could be that they want to keep track of the test units out there which is understandable.

Meanwhile there's even more chatter about Sony encouraging people to use their real names on their Playstation network. They have said there will be an option for alias use but who knows. They also said "it's up to the game companies" when it comes to the selling of used games. Also, there are no guarantees any or the game streaming or video capture features will be available at launch. Sony is good at showing stuff that isn't actually included at launch. I still have huge concerns that they have a clue about online gaming.

I wouldn't be deciding anything off that Kotaku article. No way they can get away with stopping game play after three minutes of internet connection loss on a stand alone game.

As for making a connection required for initial game play...doesn't Steam do that right now? I thought everyone loved Steam. Do you people that aren't going to use the Next Xbox not use Steam or are you just picking and choosing what devices need to connect?

I'd wait and see what Microsoft actually says at their presentation.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I don't know about you guys but the only time my Xbox is offline is when it's actually off. Otherwise, it's constantly connected to Xbox Live and has been since mid 2006.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Meanwhile there's even more chatter about Sony encouraging people to use their real names on their Playstation network. They have said there will be an option for alias use but who knows. They also said "it's up to the game companies" when it comes to the selling of used games. Also, there are no guarantees any or the game streaming or video capture features will be available at launch. Sony is good at showing stuff that isn't actually included at launch. I still have huge concerns that they have a clue about online gaming.
Not sure how that's relevant in the 720 thread but ok! So much deflection from the defensive MS camp which is a bit humorous.
I wouldn't be deciding anything off that Kotaku article.
Not sure who ever said to decide anything off rumors. They are simply that.. Rumors. But I've seen more rumors that it will be required than I have saying that it wont. Strength in numbers! Although I personally have decided that I wont be going with MS's next console no matter what it ends up being. It's the PS4 FOR NOW but that will depend on more details.
No way they can get away with stopping game play after three minutes of internet connection loss on a stand alone game.
So...If it does turn out to be true what then? Will you find some other excuse to defend MS and their stupid decisions?
As for making a connection required for initial game play...doesn't Steam do that right now? I thought everyone loved Steam. Do you people that aren't going to use the Next Xbox not use Steam or are you just picking and choosing what devices need to connect?
Steam is the only way to get PC games? I personally don't use Steam other than I had to recently install it for the two games I got free. I've already finished Tomb Raider and don't see myself playing that again so that only leaves Bioshock Infinite to complete.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

aslanna wrote:Steam is the only way to get PC games?

Is Xbox the only way to get console games?
aslanna wrote:I personally don't use Steam other than I had to recently install it for the two games I got free. I've already finished Tomb Raider and don't see myself playing that again so that only leaves Bioshock Infinite to complete.
So, two of the best games available, GOTY contenders, were on Steam. hmmm!

Being online won't affect my decision because as Animalor mentions, that hasn't been an issue for like a decade for me.

I still don't think the "3 minute disconnect" thing will happen but the only thing being connected might impact me is when hacking the new Xbox. If they make it more hack proof, more power to them. I hack for fun, not out of necessity.

The world is constantly connected these days. I don't see the problem. We have to wait and see, but I bet Sony and Microsoft will have similar policies and I wouldn't be surprised if Sony's end up being worse, along with tons of missing "features" mentioned in the PS4 "intro".

It's Sony that needs to prove itself. They sucked ass this gen. If anyone gets some leeway, it will be Microsoft.

Plus, the PS4 controller still has the joysticks in the anti-ergonomic position they've always been in since the 90's.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
aslanna wrote:Steam is the only way to get PC games?

Is Xbox the only way to get console games?

For the xbox.. Yeah. Your statement makes no sense.
So, two of the best games available, GOTY contenders, were on Steam. hmmm!.
You could also go buy a physical disc.. And play totally not connected to the internet if you wanted to. So again.. Your statement is meaningless.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

So, if people are concerned about used game sales for the next generation, it's curious why the CEO of Gamestop is so fired up about the Next XBox when Gamestop lives off of used game sales:

Gamestop CEO Says the Next Xbox Will Be All Sorts of Hot

By Landon Robinson | 03 April 2013 |

Microsoft’s currently unannounced next generation console, persistently rumored to be titled the Xbox 720 or NextBox, is worth getting excited about, according to GameStop bossman and CEO J. Paul Raines, who has been “spending a lot of time” with Microsoft lately.

In an interview with GamesIndustry.biz, Raines mentioned that the next console from Microsoft “will be a very hot, compelling device.”

“Hot” huh? Tell us more…

"“They are doing some really cool stuff, and I’m eager to hear them start their announcements because I think the world is going to stand up and take notice.”

Technically we’re all sitting down in the types of conferences where these sorts of things are revealed, but I’m willing to stand up if it’s truly that mind-blowing.

Raines also clarified that digital sales on the next console(s) will not replace the retail shelves entirely (not yet), as he believes that consumers prefer to have both options at their disposal. He even went as far as to mention that 7% of GameStop’s revenue stream is made up of digital sales, which would be a pretty substantial figure if the majority of those sales weren’t still made in-store. In his words, consumers “just aren’t ready to go massively digital yet.”

Given that “every streaming product has failed so far,” according to Raines, he’s also skeptical of his company’s own streaming game service Spawn Labs, which they acquired in 2011.

"OnLive was a disaster, Gaikai was taken off the market by Sony and they haven’t really come to market, Otoy hasn’t come, and so what we see is streaming has to be positioned differently. We’re trying to understand consumers so we can position it the right way, and that’s why you haven’t seen [GameStop] talk a whole lot about it"
Whatever happens, it sounds like the Gamestop CEO knows some things about the Nextbox and is pumping it...so either way, he doesn't seem to give a shit if you get your used games or not but there's got to be a reason he's excited about the product from what he's seen.

BTW, who buys used games here? VV has the budget bin crowd but those are still new games, just heavily discounted. Who actually buys used games here? Along those lines, why would you buy used games considering the fast rate new games are discounted these days, both new and digital? Used games seems like a point that no one really should give a shit about anymore. If the head dude at Gamestop isn't concerned, it seems kind of telling that it's not an issue.

I'm hoping Microsoft delivers a great next gen product because the PS4 has underwhelmed so far. (and they kept their ancient un-ergonimic controller layout)

The only rumor I've heard regarding the 720 controller is that it looks exactly the same but maybe slightly smaller. The reduction in size from the original Xbox controller was a good thing...not sure about making it even smaller though.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You sound like a broken record!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

For those old school people, Atari Founder Nolan Bushnell thinks the Xbox 720 will win the next gen console war.

http://www.gamespot.com/gears-of-war-ju ... n-6406530/

It's due to Sony really sucking at SDKs, online, etc. I also think Sony is setting themselves up once again for epic failure by promising wonderous things about streaming services based on a company they bought six months ago. They haven't proven they are capable in the past with online services and now they're jumping the gun with new tech that's unproven on the scale they plan to use it on. If you take away the paid streaming game services, there's not much to get excited about with the new PS4...except, I'm sure diehard PS fans will appreciate textured new controller so it doesn't slip out of your hands while playing games as much while contorting your thumbs to manipulate the awkwardly placed thumb sticks.
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

I know these threads are for rumors and gossip and trading insults between the consoles, but the real winners are the consumers for having a variety. Winnow and I can't fathom how someone can actual use the ps3 controller over the 360 and say it's more comfortable, but yet Aslanna can and does!

The Wii U may not be doing well right now but when it has games hopefully it comes around, I have faith in Nintendo. I worked at Gamestop for 3 years and you know what we couldn't keep in stock that entire time? The Wii. Or DSs. The only time we sold new PS3 systems were the holidays, sometimes people would buy the used systems and we always had used systems because people were always trading them in. 360s were a constant seller, both new and used. They were also constantly getting traded in too, both working and broken. That's a testament to how much people loved the 360, it was pretty much guarenteed to break on you but they kept replacing it over it and over again. But nothing sold like the wii.

Yes I have bought used games, with a guarentee that it will work and it being cheaper, there's no reason not to. Sometimes that's the only way to find some of the more rare games too.

Anyway, carry on.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Microsoft is planning to unveil its next-gen Xbox console this May, following initial rumors of a reveal sometime this month, The Verge reports.

This information comes following a comment from Windows watcher Paul Thurrott who recently said Microsoft would reveal its new console at an event on May 21, roughly one month after its rumored April 24 reveal. That date was later verified by The Verge's own sources.

According to The Verge's sources, the event will take place at a small venue and will feature the first details of the new Xbox, rumored to launch this year. A public debut is expected later in the year, with a full unveiling of the console in June during this year's E3. We have contacted Microsoft for comment and will update when additional information is made available.
Month delay! Probably to give them time to remove the Always On requirement that has caused a shit storm! I believe MS will be shooting themselves in the foot if they go ahead with it. So hopefully they do!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The next-generation Xbox will be powered by an AMD "Jaguar" chip — Microsoft's long-rumored CPU of choice for its next console — and won't be compatible with current Xbox 360 games, according to a report from Bloomberg.

Microsoft's next-gen console is said to use the same AMD system-on-a-chip that will be utilized in the PlayStation 4, which Sony unveiled in February. The x86 architecture chip powering the PS4 is an eight core, single-chip custom AMD processor, according to Sony.

Bloomberg reports that the game discs made for the Xbox 360 — which is powered by an IBM PowerPC CPU — won't be compatible with the new system. The current Xbox 360 supports some original Xbox games through software emulation.
No backwards compatibility. Not sure that comes as a surprise to anyone.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Nope. The biggest reason that disappoints me is I recently picked up defiance because a buddy got it and I figured I'd give it a shot, I can see myself still playing it this fall and I'd like to be able to do that on the new console but oh well, I'll keep the old xbox around. I figured it was going to happen anyhow.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:Nope. The biggest reason that disappoints me is I recently picked up defiance because a buddy got it and I figured I'd give it a shot, I can see myself still playing it this fall and I'd like to be able to do that on the new console but oh well, I'll keep the old xbox around. I figured it was going to happen anyhow.
I tried Defiance out on the PC during Beta and it was pretty buggy. It was Beta so hopefully they worked out the kinks. The game textures, zone felt kinda "blocky", meaning they didn't seem very well designed, had a lot of places to get stuck in, etc.

I have a feeling you won't need to worry about playing it past when the 720 is released.

I'm looking forward to checking out the first episode of the Defiance TV series this weekend.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I'm unhappy I have to keep my old xbox around for all the DLC on it. It will always be my Rock Band and Pinball Arcade machine.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

"Always On" getting people fired!
Adam Orth, the Microsoft Studios creative director whose tweet about always-on technology launched a wave of anti-Microsoft sentiment last week, is no longer with Microsoft, Polygon has learned.

Reached for comment this afternoon, Microsoft declined to comment, but two sources have confirmed the departure to Polygon.

"We do not comment on private personnel matters," the Microsoft spokesperson told Polygon.

"Sorry, I don't get the drama around having an 'always on' console," Orth tweeted after a new report that Microsoft's next-generation console will require an internet connection to play games. "Every device now is 'always on.' That's the world we live in." Orth ended the tweet with a #dealwithit hashtag.

The tweet led to a tirade of angry comments, tweets, posts and a slew of news stories on blogs and in newspapers about the reaction. Microsoft later issued an apology.

"We are aware of the comments made by an employee on Twitter. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views are not reflective of those of the company."

This morning The Verge reported that the rumored next Xbox would serve in many ways like a cable box and require an online connection to use the entertainment services.
Just another example of the evils of Twitter. People need to stay off there. Your thoughts aren't that interesting!

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Posting from my phone so this will be quick and dirty. Cross posted from NeoGaf.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=541176

So yes, I originally made a post on pastebin that I then posted on IGN that has now mysteriously vanished from the internet. I'm guessing good 'ol Don wasn't too happy.

In that pastebin post I said I wouldn't be saying anything else, but that was before a few things changed. So yeah.... #dealwithit.

That IGN post (that referenced the pastebin post) was also posted on NeoGAF. Though it didn't get much attention.

In that pastebin post I specifically mentioned that I was a GAF member, but that I would not be outing myself on GAF for fear of losing my job. And I still will not be doing that. I'm not an idiot.
However since the reveal is pretty close now, I thought I'd just come out and tell you everything I know. No more cryptic bullshit, just facts.

First of all, for any of the GAF members reading this (or anyone else for that matter) that actually believed the online-required rumor, well.... you're either stupid, very gullible, or a fanboy. Reading the posts some of you made over the past few weeks leads me to believe that mostly fanboyism was involved. So, I'll make this very clear:

You are not required to be connected to the internet in order to play Durango games and MS were NEVER considering doing such a thing. Now please, just read that last sentence over and over again until it sinks in. Done? Good.

Now that I've got that out of the way I can talk about the real details.
First, I'll admit some things that I originally hinted at in the first pastebin are now not going to happen. Mainly the April 18th date (obviously) and the HMD glasses. The date, as you may know by now was pushed back to May, and the glasses, well, although they’re kind of working are going to spend a bit longer in the oven.

Ok, moving on. Have you read the VGLeaks article about the Durango specs? Yes? Good because everything you read in that article was 100% correct. Except, for one tiny little detail that MS kept guarded from most devs until very recently. That detail being that every Durango ships with a Xbox 360 SOC.

There was a reason why MS hired so many former IBM and AMD employees. I'll admit I'm not an electrical engineer (I'm in software) so I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of how the 360 SOC integrates into the Durango motherboard. All I know, and all I need to know about this new change is that I (or a game dev) can use the 360 SOC in parallel with the original Durango hardware.

What does this mean in basic terms? Well, apart from Durango having 100% BC with the 360, it also increases Durango's processing power a fair amount.

Ok, so what else?

Kinect 2.0: - Again the specs from VGLeaks are correct, there's been no change and there won't be. However, the fact is, is that software can do ANYTHING, and with the quite substantial increase in the hardware over Kinect 1.0, any humanly noticeable lag should be gone

Controller: - The controller is pretty much the same. The D-Pad has been improved, but the change will only be noticeable when actually using it, i.e. it looks exactly the same, I haven't actually touched it, this is just what I’ve been told. AA batteries will make a return, but the new wireless tech MS has created for the controller, improves battery life by 16%. Again, this is just what the doc says.

Xbox Mini/Xbox TV: Yes, this is happening, although as far as I know, it’s a whole different team over at MS that are handling this. As has been reported its main purpose is to compete with Apple TV, so expect this thing to be small and around $100.
It contains the 360 SOC (similar to the one in the Durango), however no disc drive is included (to decrease size). But of course you can still play any XBLA/Games on Demand game. That’s all I really know about the xTV so I’ll leave it at that. Thurrott seems to know more than anyone else about this, so go ask him.

OS/Services: I wish I knew more about this, but I honestly don’t. I have no clue what sort of new ideas MS are going to bring to the table this gen, but I’m certainly expecting them to amaze.
The only thing that I do know for definite is that Durango will be running Windows 8. It will essentially be the full version of the OS, minus the desktop side of things. This means it’ll be running the new WinRT framework, which as a side effect also means that contrary to popular belief MS will be the most indie friendly of all the big 3 next gen.
This is because any app/game that is created for the Windows app store will (after adding controller support of course) be playable on Durango.
In other words, any random person worldwide can pay Microsoft a $60 license fee (for the Windows Store) and submit their app/game to the store where millions of people can then download/buy it. No expensive development kits needed.
Expect to hear much more on WinRT - Durango at Build2013.

Ok, so that’s pretty much it. I wish I had more info on specific games and services that MS have lined up, but it seems that even I’ll have to wait until May to find out.
I’ll look forward to this post appearing on GAF, where rest assured I’ll be lurking. Hell, who knows I may even make a few posts.

I wonder how many people will refuse to believe this? Hmmmm….
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:The only thing that I do know for definite is that Durango will be running Windows 8.
Fail. A definite non-buy from me!
I wonder how many people will refuse to believe this? Hmmmm….
Until MS actually announces shit anything is just a rumor. So why should we believe anything about this post prior to that time? I don't even believe the "Always On" requirement at this point. That doesn't mean I wont speculate on that and let my opinions be known.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:The only thing that I do know for definite is that Durango will be running Windows 8.
Fail. A definite non-buy from me!

Why not? This isn't old desktop windows and it's super stable. Why the fuck use any other OS? Windows 8 works well with controller or touch. It's not like the PS4 has a great UI. I'll take the OS that's rock solid thanks. What do you want them to do? Use Unix?

If accurate, that information sounds awesome. If the 720 does have a 360 SOC that can actually be used to enhance other games if not being used for 360 games, that's genius. Possibly 100% BC compared to zero for the PS4.

Thank god if the AA battery part is correct. Anyone with Eneloop rechargeables will love that info. So fucking easy to swap batteries once in a long while with another set of Eneloops instantly that cost you 2 cents to recharge. No dealing with lame ass wired charging with 2 foot cords.

WinRT framework means extremely easy porting of apps between PC/720. Looks like Microsoft wrapped up the easy to develop for Indy crowd again if this is true which makes sense that it would be.

D-Pad improvement would just put the 100th nail in the coffin of the crap ass PS3/4 torture stick controller.

Kinect 2 > PS Eye thing, plus Kinect would work well for motion controlling a Win RT type environment.

All speculation but so far, it looks like the PS4 has almost zero going for it besides possibly some streaming (hey it would be ALWAYS ON for that..and you get to pay again for games you already own for the right to do it) capabilities that really are a pipe dream until they can prove it, based on a company picked up half a year ago.

Looking forward to the actual specs and capabilities of the 720. It doesn't have to do much at all to be better than what Sony has presented so far but appears go possibly have some excellent features.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Reading (or even scrolling through) your posts on... Well, anything is becoming a chore.

P.S. it's just another rumor, and I'm for one I'm sick of seeing them. How boring is your life that you put that much effort into talking about rumors when the official announcements are a few months away at most.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:If accurate, that information sounds awesome. If the 720 does have a 360 SOC that can actually be used to enhance other games if not being used for 360 games, that's genius. Possibly 100% BC compared to zero for the PS4.
All speculation but so far, it looks like the PS4 has almost zero going for it besides possibly some streaming (hey it would be ALWAYS ON for that..and you get to pay again for games you already own for the right to do it) capabilities that really are a pipe dream until they can prove it, based on a company picked up half a year ago.
Well considering I read somewhere, maybe even in this thread!, that the 720 more than likely won't read/play 360 DVDs I'm not sure how that's a benefit to you. Might be good if they allow you to play XBLA games you've already bought though. Otherwise you're shit out of luck regardless of your BC percentage.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:If accurate, that information sounds awesome. If the 720 does have a 360 SOC that can actually be used to enhance other games if not being used for 360 games, that's genius. Possibly 100% BC compared to zero for the PS4.
Well considering I read somewhere, maybe even in this thread!, that the 720 more than likely won't read/play 360 DVDs I'm not sure how that's a benefit to you. Might be good if they allow you to play XBLA games you've already bought though. Otherwise you're shit out of luck regardless of your BC percentage.

We'll have to wait and see but if they make the effort to provide 100% compatibility with 360 games, it wouldn't surprise me if they had a Blu Ray drive that also played DVDs. Either way, that's not the selling point for me since I won't touch another 360 game after the 720 is released. It's that they would make use of the chip in other games so it doesn't go to waste. My original PS3's PS2 chip does jack shit for me in other games or in the OS. Even if it's just used to power the chat or OS menu while games are played would be a help offloading work from the main processor. Won't know for sure until they announce it, but at least the ideas so far sound great.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Yeah, I'm sure microsoft is worried about losing your "business"
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote: My original PS3's PS2 chip does jack shit for me in other games or in the OS. Even if it's just used to power the chat or OS menu while games are played would be a help offloading work from the main processor.
Uh. You can bring up the OS menu (XMB) while in a game. That's been there since 2008. What processing power does it need to offload since the game pauses?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

kyoukan wrote:Yeah, I'm sure microsoft is worried about losing your "business"
Every penny I spend with Microsoft is one penny more then "you" do.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote: My original PS3's PS2 chip does jack shit for me in other games or in the OS. Even if it's just used to power the chat or OS menu while games are played would be a help offloading work from the main processor.
Uh. You can bring up the OS menu (XMB) while in a game. That's been there since 2008. What processing power does it need to offload since the game pauses?
That was an example. Who knows how they'll use it. If they are able to enhance something or provide something new without taking main processor resources from a game, it would be a plus.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:If the 720 does have a 360 SOC that can actually be used to enhance other games if not being used for 360 games, that's genius. Possibly 100% BC compared to zero for the PS4.
This is the single most interesting thing out of this rumor and, if true, will be a first. I am hoping it's true.

Also, I know I read somewhere about the xbox acting as a cable box, but the really interesting part about that is the fact that it would overlay it's own icons and such right over the existing screen. That has some interesting potential, once again if it's actually true.

Microsoft's silence is really something. They must be amazingly confident in whatever they have up their sleeves. I honestly do not know what to think even this close to an announcement, but I remain cautiously optimistic.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

On Tuesday May 21st, we’ll mark the beginning of a new generation of games, TV and entertainment. On that day, we’ll be holding a special press event on the Xbox campus and we invite you to join us via the live global stream that will be available on Xbox.com, Xbox LIVE and broadcast on Spike TV if you are in the US or Canada.

On that day, we’ll share our vision for Xbox, and give you a real taste of the future. Then, 19-days later at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, we’ll continue the conversation and showcase our full lineup of blockbuster games.

We are thrilled to pull back the curtain and reveal what we’ve been working on.

A New Generation Revealed
Xbox Campus, Redmond WA
Tuesday, May 21st @ 1p ET/10a PT/17:00 GMT

"a real taste of the future" lol.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Leaked Microsoft memo says next-gen Xbox won't require constant internet connection

The longrunning, controversial rumor that Microsoft's Xbox 360 successor would demand an internet connection for all aspects of its functionality has finally been put to rest. Ars Technica is today reporting that an internal Microsoft memo — sent to all employees working on the next-gen console — has dismissed the 'always-on' mandate. Referring to the hardware by its codename Durango, Microsoft reportedly wrote, "There are a number of scenarios that our users expect to work without an Internet connection, and those should 'just work' regardless of their current connection status. Those include, but are not limited to: playing a Blu-ray disc, watching live TV, and yes playing a single player game."

With that one, surprisingly informative line, the company has essentially confirmed two major features of the upcoming Xbox: it will utilize Blu-ray optical media and can also double as a cable set-top box.
Find something else to be paranoid about!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

If that's true then be glad that the paranoid people were the squeaky wheel in the scenario and gave Microsoft plenty of time to change their mind. This is where Sony failed by announcing their console too soon since it gave time for MS to make changes before their announcement. They couldn't very well implement a hated feature if the PS4 didn't have the same thing.

Is anyone surprised that it will be using Blu-Ray?

--