The Official NextBox Thread!

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: The Official NextBox Thread!

Post by Winnow »

I'll admit both consoles are flawed in that they both should have waited until they could reliably have all games at 1080P/60FPS.

With 4K , etc, on the horizon, it's sad that current consoles can't even manage what should be a standard 1080P/60

It's hard to place blame as both Sony and Microsoft rushed to get out the next generation of consoles...I supposed Sony is more to blame since their PS3 sucked with it's honeycomb BS so they were under more pressure to produce a new console. Microsoft is also to blame for cheaping out slightly on ram/gpu. In hindsight, I'm sure Microsoft would have boosted both of those but you can't look back.

Next gen should be 4K/60 but that's a ways off. 4K/90 would be best because that's the sweet spot for VR headset (were you no long see pixels and reduced motion issues)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

We were talking about the networks!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

YES OH GOD YES!

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/21/786754 ... -one-games
The upcoming operating system will allow for streaming of Xbox One games to any Windows 10 PC or tablet, Microsoft announced today.
This had to by my #1 wanted feature for the Microsoft ecosystem. From the live stream, I believe they said this was local LAN only so you won't be able to do this on the road.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I have no idea why streaming games is something you'd want. You're going to lose responsiveness no matter what, and that's what you have the console for. The only way I can see it being useful at all is to stream to a handheld, which they don't have (no, tablet doesn't count).
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/78675 ... olographic

Yay Microsoft and VR!

More info to dome once I actually have time to to check it out.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Funkmasterr wrote:I have no idea why streaming games is something you'd want. You're going to lose responsiveness no matter what, and that's what you have the console for. The only way I can see it being useful at all is to stream to a handheld, which they don't have (no, tablet doesn't count).
The long and short of it is that I only have 1 TV and no plans to purchase a 2nd one. We're a family of 4 so the TV is an in-demand device. If I want to play something on the Xbox One and the TV is used for TV or the Wii U by my two kids, it's nice that I can have the option to spin up Forza Horizon 2 on another screen that I have available and to myself.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Animalor wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:I have no idea why streaming games is something you'd want. You're going to lose responsiveness no matter what, and that's what you have the console for. The only way I can see it being useful at all is to stream to a handheld, which they don't have (no, tablet doesn't count).
The long and short of it is that I only have 1 TV and no plans to purchase a 2nd one. We're a family of 4 so the TV is an in-demand device. If I want to play something on the Xbox One and the TV is used for TV or the Wii U by my two kids, it's nice that I can have the option to spin up Forza Horizon 2 on another screen that I have available and to myself.
One of the many reasons I'll never have kids! :) I have two tv's and one of me, I'd have more but I only have two rooms, so two works.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Of all the broken video games that we were stuck with in 2014, none were as broken as Halo's Master Chief Collection, which even now, months after release, is still broken. But it's OK! You can now sign up for a beta. For an update that may or may not fix it.

Yes, that's right. 343 is going to run a beta test later this month for a big update that they hope will solve the game's matchmaking woes. Xbox One users in North America are eligible to sign up, test out "changes to the matchmaking experience and party system" and report any bugs they find.

In other words, we are now in the realm of beta testing games that are already out.
A beta for a patch! At least Driveclub, by all accounts, is basically fixed now. It's odd Winnow has been so silent about MCC and what a disaster that's been being Xbox's flagship franchise and all. Well OK maybe not that odd at all.

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Aslanna wrote:
Of all the broken video games that we were stuck with in 2014, none were as broken as Halo's Master Chief Collection, which even now, months after release, is still broken. But it's OK! You can now sign up for a beta. For an update that may or may not fix it.

Yes, that's right. 343 is going to run a beta test later this month for a big update that they hope will solve the game's matchmaking woes. Xbox One users in North America are eligible to sign up, test out "changes to the matchmaking experience and party system" and report any bugs they find.

In other words, we are now in the realm of beta testing games that are already out.
A beta for a patch! At least Driveclub, by all accounts, is basically fixed now. It's odd Winnow has been so silent about MCC and what a disaster that's been being Xbox's flagship franchise and all. Well OK maybe not that odd at all.
That they botched the multiplayer this badly on what is probably their most important title of the year is inexcusable. There's really no way around it.
Halo 5 and better be freaking bulletproof for their sake.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Animalor wrote:
One of the many reasons I'll never have kids! :) I have two tv's and one of me, I'd have more but I only have two rooms, so two works.
http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/22/787516 ... -streaming

Here's the really cool thing about the game streaming and their goal.
"Our intent is somebody could be watching television on the Xbox One — and I say watching television running any Windows application," he said. "So the Xbox One's capable of running one Xbox game and multiple Windows applications at the same time. Our goal as a team is to enable that you would be able to do both.

"Now, we haven't perfectly landed that yet."

Spencer said while he didn't discuss that on stage he wants to be transparent and let people know that the goal is "to enable a scenario where if my kids are watching TV, and I want to go up and play Forza ... I can just go do that and they wouldn't even know what's happened. It just loads in the background, obviously I wouldn't shut down the console like I did in my demo, so that's our intent.

"We just haven't landed the scenario. It does take us the horsepower for the Xbox to obviously play the game but to obviously play the stream."

He added that he's almost certain they'll be able to "land that scenario."
If they do pull this off, they'll have earned the right to call this thing a "media hub" in my opinion.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Winnow wrote:http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/78675 ... olographic

Yay Microsoft and VR!

The Pope from FOH is one of the project managers on this. He is a good friend and is pretty excited about it.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Tyek wrote:
Winnow wrote:http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/78675 ... olographic

Yay Microsoft and VR!

The Pope from FOH is one of the project managers on this. He is a good friend and is pretty excited about it.
FoH? WTF? I can no longer endorse this product. As of now, CT is putting their full support behind Magic Leap technology!

Is the Pope in the HoloLens intro video I linked elsewhere? (in VR thread)

http://youtu.be/kCMxBw-utEY
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Winnow wrote:FoH? WTF? I can no longer endorse this product. As of now, CT is putting their full support behind Magic Leap technology!
That's actually an amazingly accurate comparison between the guilds.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

because M$ sucks
Users attempting to sign into Xbox Live on the Xbox One may encounter difficulties, as the service is currently running in a limited capacity. Additionally, players trying to access Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare's Exo Zombies downloadable content may encounter an error which reads "A downloadable content package was removed or all profiles are signed out."

To fix this, players need to download and install the free DLC "compatibility pack" by logging into Xbox Live, starting the game, and following the prompts. Players trying to do this via Xbox One may encounter difficulties as the service is currently down.

It is not known what is causing the service outage. In the past, an online hacking group claimed responsibility for attacking the network. GameSpot will continue to monitor this story as it develops. Check back later for updates on the service.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Robust!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Non issue! I don't even see this on any standard new source. Who plays zombie mods anyway!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Non issue! I don't even see this on any standard new source. Who plays zombie mods anyway!

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/01/28/ ... -xbox-360/
Xbox Live is currently being affected by an outage, making logins impossible for many users across both Xbox One and Xbox 360, and affecting the marketplace as well.

When trying to log into the service, users are getting the usual “There was a problem” black screen on Xbox One, resulting in an error with the code 0x87DD000F.

The official status page has been updated to reflect the issue, as you can see below, indicating that Microsoft is aware, and is currently investigating and working on solving the problem.
Login issues... No mention of zombie mods!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:Non issue! I don't even see this on any standard new source. Who plays zombie mods anyway!
Right? I mean, it's not like it's the most anticipated mode in one of the best selling games or anything.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Xbox Live Status
Services

Xbox Live Core Services - Limited

Affected platforms:

Xbox One

Affected services:

Signing into Xbox Live

31/01/2015 15:25:26 GMT:

Are you getting a 0x80048834 error when trying to sign in to Xbox Live? As we write this, our engineers are working to provide a fix. Thanks for staying patient, Xbox members! We’ll keep you updated as soon as we know more.

Another day another Xbox Live issue. Robust, indeed!

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:Another day another Xbox Live issue. Robust, indeed!

You've been owning Winnow so hard on this topic that you're violating the 13th Amendment.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I post about major outages. It's like comparing nuclear bombs to firecrackers.
$40 Xbox Live Gold 12+1 month memberships at Best Buy

All right, folks, we have a sale on our hands. Time to stock up on Xbox Live Gold memberships. Normally, they’re $59.99 for a year. However, Best Buy has a sale at the moment that chops $20 off the price. You can’t beat that.

Especially since this isn’t only $39.99 for a standard Xbox Live Gold membership. This is for better ones. The one is a Xbox Live Gold 12+1 month membership card. It’s the one that has Titanfall on the front. The other is only 12 months, includes Feather Skull DLC for Halo 2 Anniversary in the Halo: The Master Chief Collection.

Both of these items are available via the Best Buy website. You can have them shipped to you for free, or arrange an in-store pickup. Given that it is free shipping, I’d say opt for that. You never know if a store near you will have one. Plus, I don’t know what it’s like near you, but the Chicago area is in the midst of a snowstorm situation. Better not to have to go out in incliment weather if you don’t have to.

There’s no information on how long this sale will last. Given that it started so late at night tonight, I wouldn’t be surprised if the price ends up going back to normal come February 2, 2015.
They both say 12+1 but I'd go with the Titanfall card that actually says 12+1 in the model description.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage. ... AMCsTu_3zQ
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Thanks for the heads up, grabbed a couple.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:I post about major outages.
So yeah... That's not true.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:I post about major outages.
So yeah... That's not true.
:lol:
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/02/ ... -in-errors
PlayStation Network Suffering Sign-In Errors

Sony’s PlayStation Network is experiencing connectivity issues with many users reporting an inability to sign into the service.

The official PlayStation support Twitter account states that the company is aware of the sign-in issues users are experiencing, and is working to address them. It expects to keep users informed with ongoing updates. The PlayStation Knowledge Center isn’t reporting PSN errors, at the time of writing.

Sony offered a free five-day extension to every PS+ member's subscription as a thanks for their patience with the PSN issues. The offer came alongside a free 10 percent PSN discount code available to all PSN members.
karma's a bitch!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:karma's a bitch!
You should know all about that.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Halo: Master Chief Collection Has Been Broken For 100+ Days Now

It's been four months since Halo: The Master Chief Collection came out for Xbox One, and unbelievably, the game is still broken—the matchmaking and lobby systems somehow still don't work.

For a complete, startling look at just how bad things have been, check out this full timeline of problems, patches, and game-breaking bugs over the 100+ days since the Master Chief Collection launched. It's the type of shaming that will hopefully make publishers think twice before selling a game this busted again.

Fun fact: the folks at developer 343 Industries created an achievement called "Stick With It" for players who stuck with the game... an achievement that's bugged and currently won't unlock.
karma's a bitch!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote: Fun fact: the folks at developer 343 Industries created an achievement called "Stick With It" for players who stuck with the game... an achievement that's bugged and currently won't unlock.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

classic! :lol:
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Elite: Dangerous coming to Xbox One in 2015

Elite: Dangerous on Xbox One will include everything added to the PC version through March's Wings update, including last month's Community Goals update, according to a press release from Frontier. Wings is set to arrive next week on PC.

Update: The Xbox One version of Elite: Dangerous will be "the complete and authentic Elite: Dangerous experience," said David Braben, founder and CEO of Frontier Developments, in a post on the game's forums. "It will not be 'dumbed down'. We'll be working with an all-new audience, but that doesn't mean a change in direction for the game, and nor does it mean slowing development on the PC version."

Braben added that PC, Mac and Xbox One players "will all share the same overarching narrative and galaxy state."
Elite: Dangerous > OlliOlli2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4QkltClArw
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Elite: Dangerous > OlliOlli2
Not according to your favorite site Metacritic. PS4 wins yet again but I'm sure that comes as a surprise to nobody.

Burn!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Flying games are fucking boooooooorrriiinnngg.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Elite: Dangerous was announced for Xbox One yesterday, but what about PlayStation 4 owners? You're in luck. Creator David Braben clarified on Twitter it's a timed exclusive, and Elite: Dangerous will arrive on PS4 eventually.
Maybe XBO owners will get OlliOlli2 in the future!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Tested: DirectX 12's potential performance leap is insane

We already know DirectX 12 will drastically improve game performance when Windows 10 ships later this year, but just how much of a "free" boost you'll get isn't exactly known.

Microsoft execs expect frame rates to more than double when comparing DX12 to the current DX11 API. But that estimate looks to be conservative if Futuremark's new API Overhead Feature test is to be believed.

Microsoft and Futuremark gave us early access to the latest 3DMark test, which lets us measure just how much more efficient Microsoft's Windows 10-only gaming API is than its predecessor, and whoa mama, does it perform.

DX12 is also coming to the Xbox One.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Grats. Maybe Xbox owners wont keep getting robbed of those precious p's that PS4 gamers have been enjoying since forever!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Remedy's Quantum Break delayed to 2016

Quantum Break, the Xbox One exclusive in development by Alan Wake and Max Payne creator Remedy Entertainment, is now coming out in 2016, Microsoft officials said today.

The game was expected to launch some time this year.
Yet another XBOX Exclusive game delayed. Do they even release stuff on time? fail fail fail! Oh wait MCC released on time how did that turn out? teehee. Xbox One? More like Xbox None!

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Given that this is the same group that made Alan Wake, I'm surprised that anyone expected this to be on time.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I don't know what to make of the game at all. I have no hype for it so I'm not upset by a delay.

Delays in general do not really bother me though.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Delays in general do not really bother me though.
Me either. But being that Winnow comes running here and posts whenever a delay hits a PS4 game... Karmas a bitch!

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

https://games.yahoo.com/news/xbox-live- ... 28534.html
Xbox Live down for many — gaming, Netflix, and other services affected (update)

Update: Most things are now working — although Microsoft says that account management is still down for some.

Many Xbox Live users are struggling to access online services on Xbox One, Xbox 360, and other devices.

Microsoft’s service is experiencing difficulties, and it’s stopping many people from playing games, watching Netflix, or doing pretty much anything online on their consoles. The official Xbox Live status page shows that the service is struggling across all areas, but Microsoft says that it’s aware of the issue and is working to restore services.

“We’re aware of the issue and working on getting it fixed ASAP!” reads the Xbox status page. “Thanks for your patience while we get things back to normal. We’ll post another update as soon as we have more information.”

This isn’t the first time Xbox Live has experienced problems lately. Last month, Xbox 360 services were having trouble, and there have been numerous small- and large-scale issues since December. It’s frustrating for users who pay for an online service that they expect to be available when they switch on their consoles.

Reddit users from around the world — including Australia, Europe, Japan, and North America — are all reporting problems.
One would think that Microsoft could afford a more protected/stable service.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Boogahz wrote:One would think that Microsoft could afford a more protected/stable service.
Dude.. 300,000 servers. THE POWER OF THE CLOUD!

Of course some here (not naming names) will just come back and say something like "Well at least it's not down every other day like PSN. Go Microsoft whoooo! "

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/04/17/ ... ms-appear/

Oh look. More Xbox Live issues. You Xbox players must be glad your ~$60 is going to improving the network. Oh wait.. It's not!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Microsoft posted earnings for its third quarter today, announcing $21.7 billion in revenue for the three-month period that ended March 31, 2015, and net income of $4.99 billion. While revenue was up slightly, compared to the same quarter last year, net income was down. On the Xbox side, Microsoft said sales of its consoles and other computing and gaming hardware were down.

The company sold 1.6 million Xbox consoles during the quarter, down from 2 million the same quarter in 2014. Microsoft said Xbox platform revenue decreased $306 million for the quarter, driven by a "decline in console volume and lower prices of Xbox One consoles compared to the prior year." Microsoft dropped the price of Xbox One back down to $349 in January after a holiday promotion.
Sure, knock off $50 on each console and your revenue is sure to suffer. Then again if that's the only way you can bribe people into buying your inferior console I'm not sure what choice they have.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Looks like the investors were pleased. Any company making over 21 billion in revenue in three quarters is doing ok. Up big in after hours trading. Looking forward to more Hololens coverage next week.

Did Sony sell more PS4s this quarter than a year ago? My investments are indirectly tied to Sony right now so I'm hoping the company as a whole does well.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

It's funny because I just got done reading an article about how Xbox revenue is down like 400 million this quarter.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Investors seem heartbroken over the lower Xbox revenue!

A company as old and with as big a cap as Microsoft being up 10% in one day is freaking amazing. That amounts to almost a 40 BILLION increase in market cap. Today's gain is more than Sony's entire market cap.

What does this mean for Xbox One? It means it doesn't matter one bit how much they are earning on each Xbox console. The company is making assloads of money. Microsoft took a 1 billion write off on early surface tablets and now that division is profitable. It means if they need to throw a few billion at exclusives they can if they feel it's beneficial long term.

Sony's new revenue structure depends on PS4 while Microsoft can toy with it and be in the game for the long haul. Hololens info due next week. Curious if they'll mention Xbox One integration since they already have a strong team working on games for the Hololens.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Cool story bro.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Xbox One Reaches a New Low in Japan

Just when you think Microsoft could do no worse in Japan, the console proves that, yes, it can do even worse. Much worse.

After a dismal Japan launch and then horrible sales, the latest weekly Xbox One sales for Japan are, simply put, awful. During the week of June 8 to June 14, Microsoft sold a hundred Xbox One consoles in Japan. That’s right, one hundred.
Go home Xbox, you're drunk.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Imagine if Sony sold 100 PS4s in the U.S. in one week. They'd be done. It's amazing that Microsoft can do that in Japan and still be extremely relevant. Nice!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xbox One's Games With Gold Program Is Getting Way Better

Microsoft has occasionally offered two Xbox One games per month as part of its Games With Gold promotion, but starting in July, that’s becoming the standard, the company announced.

This July represents two full years since we began giving Gold members access to amazing games, completely free. As a special thank you to our Xbox fans, we’re announcing that starting in July, Games with Gold will offer two new games on Xbox One every month.

Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag and So Many Me are the Xbox One games this month, with Plants vs. Zombies and Gears of War 3 for Xbox 360.

Black Flag? Not bad! In the past, Microsoft has been criticized for not only having a much smaller selection than its competition, but not exactly offering the cream of the crop, either.

Unlike PlayStation Plus, the games are staggered throughout the month. Assassin’s Creed IV and Plants vs. Zombies hit July 1, while So Many Me and Gears of War 3 arrive on July 16.
Nice job Microsoft!