The Official NextBox Thread!

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: The Official NextBox Thread!

Post by Winnow »

Leak: Modern Warfare Creator's New Game, Titanfall, Is Xbox & PC Only

An apparent leak of the cover of the next issue of Game Informer confirms one of the bigger pieces of news for this E3. As we'd reported last month, the next game from the people who made Call of Duty popular is an Xbox/Xbox-One console exclusive. This is a big deal.

The game, called Titanfall, is being developed by top ex-Infinity Ward people at the new Respawn Entertainment.

According to Cartman86's read of the issue, Respawn will use the Xbox One's cloud-computing services to make the game run beyond the hardware's offline capabilities, utilizing the cloud for physics and AI calculations." Last month, Microsoft touted the system's optional cloud computing tech as a tool developers could use to make their games run better. Use of the cloud requires a persistent online connection.

The game runs on Valve's Source engine, a detail we also reported back in May. We'd been told it looks good but haven't seen it ourselves.
I'll be interested to see exactly how much the "cloud" part of this enhances the game.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Titanfall.. What a dumb name. Bungie already has Titan.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Titanfall.. What a dumb name. Bungie already has Titan.

Game titles..box art...doesn't matter one bit to me!

Riiiiiiidge Raceeeeeer!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You do know you'll more than likely have to buy games for the XBO don't you!?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:You do know you'll more than likely have to buy games for the XBO don't you!?
Of course. I bought the Xbox 360 and PS3 before they were hackable and own two Xbox 360's so I can play purchased games online.

If one or both of the new consoles gets hacked, I'll probably hack them for fun. Whether they are hacked or not doesn't impact me buying them, same as when I hacked DirecTV, I still maintained a subscription but hacked the cards so I could see blacked out games that were otherwise impossible to get.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The Xbox One will need to be connected to the internet every 24 hours when playing games on your home console, or every hour when accessing your digital library from a different console, Microsoft announced today.

On an explanatory page posted on Xbox Wire, the system's heretofore confusing online requirements were cleared up. Each game you own is digitally installed to your account using cloud services. Every 24 hours, an online check is required to ensure that you still own the license for the copy of the game you're playing. You can also access your account and its associated games on a friend's console, but online checks are performed every hour when attempting to play remotely in this manner. The policy lines up with what Polygon heard from our sources shortly after the console's reveal.

"Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies," the Xbox Wire post explains.
So instead of "Always-On" it's "Sometimes-On". Does that really fool anyone?
Publishers will be the ones who decide whether or not to allow Xbox One games to be resold or traded though there will be no "platform fees," Microsoft announced today.

The company also said the console will not support game rentals, but that it is "exploring the possibilities."
No GameFly for you! I can't knock MS too hard for this one yet until we know all the facts about the PS4. It could be that publishers want the same sort of control across both platforms.

--
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

It will be years before I even consider getting one. I also will never use the features that aren't just games but considering the zombie apocalypse that is the generation(s) of kids and young adults who can't live without their smart phones and Skype and all that cabbage all the other features will be successful and popular. It will also be required for any console after this generation. Just look at the growth of smart phones and tablets over the past few years, even though they have been around for a decade.

Sony is marketing it as a win already because the ps4 is more about pure gaming, which is smart, and opposite of what the ps3 was, but by the end of the console generation it will be clear that they will be sorry that they didn't jump on the bandwagon that Microsoft is too. They will probably add many of said features with a redesign down the road, like the ps3 slim and 2nd generation 360.

I won't be getting the ps4 though. I bought the ps3 and while I don't regret it, I did enjoy some of the exclusives but I only rented them and the few games I bought for it I never finished and didn't enjoy too much. I mostly just use it as a Netflix box and blu ray player.
What this new console generation shows me is that I need a new video card for my computer instead.
Last edited by Dakanaf on June 7, 2013, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Interesting opinion piece about how MS cares more about corporations now than actual gamers.
After a month of vague corporate comments from Microsoft executives, we now know the Xbox One's game licensing policy was written from the ground up for companies. It's aggressively anti-consumer and anti-middle class, and it outright ignores underprivileged gamers. It's gross, despicable, greedy, pathetic, cowardly and out of touch with a growing global resentment for corporations.

Microsoft has designed a policy by committee, with that committee representing the interests of large video game publishers and retailers, and internet providers. "Participating retailers" have the privilege to be the exclusive resellers of games, torpedoing the consumer-to-consumer resale market, while third-party publishers have the option to restrict the resale of games entirely.
And yes it's true. We haven't heard all the PS4 news yet. If they have something similar I'll criticize them just as much.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Interesting
And yes it's true. We haven't heard all the PS4 news yet. If they have something similar I'll criticize them just as much.[/quote]

Sony has already said they are leaving used game sales in the hands of the companies. This is just PR crap. Sony and Microsoft are the same in this area.

I still don't get why people are so caught up in a used game market when physical media is vanishing at a faster and faster rate while used games are replaced with great sales on new games. Microsoft also said every game will be available for online download on day one of release. I'll probably never buy a game on physical media again.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Not to channel Midnyte here but you're missing the Big Picture. It's not just about used games.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Even game strategy guides are better on an iPad (or even some other tablet!) than hard copy. No need for physical media!

Who's buying Music CDs still? Don't answer that. Some of you probably still are. lol
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

Imagine if there was a law that said you couldn't buy used, or rent, cars anymore. You had to buy them (at full or near full price) if you wanted to use them.

Not being able to rent games, or buy used, or borrow a game without paying a crazy fee is just as fucking dumb. It's my game. I paid 60$ for it. If I want to lend it to a friend, no one should have to pay a premium for it.

There should NEVER be a law that says you have to buy something new.

As for CDs, not everyone is an entitled prick with lots of money.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Lynks wrote:Imagine if there was a law that said you couldn't buy used, or rent, cars anymore. You had to buy them (at full or near full price) if you wanted to use them.
Imagine if you could download a car instead of buy a physical one...but you can't do that...so there's that. Apples and Oranges.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'm fundamentally against them enforcing the will of separate software companies, and am not interested in contributing to their cause. To be honest if it gets hacked I'll probably get one and winnow all the games for it just to prove a point. The solution to piracy is in the opposite direction that they're moving.

And if you think games will be cheaper because there is no physical media, or that there will be big sales since there aren't used games, you're profoundly stupid.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:I'm fundamentally against them enforcing the will of separate software companies, and am not interested in contributing to their cause. To be honest if it gets hacked I'll probably get one and winnow all the games for it just to prove a point. The solution to piracy is in the opposite direction that they're moving.
There have been a bazillion studies, most stating that piracy hasn't affected or has actually been beneficial to various media industries. If I'm responsible for you doing something useful for a change, it will bring a tear to my eye. Of course, it will have to be a brain dead hack or you'll have to pay someone to hack it for you.
Funkmasterr wrote:And if you think games will be cheaper because there is no physical media, or that there will be big sales since there aren't used games, you're profoundly stupid.
Cheaper and also drop in cost at a faster rate from date of release. Steam has a lot more sales because they have less responsibilities to keep prices high for retail boxed product partners. Get rid of boxes and you'll see more weekend sales, etc for premium games on Xbox Live (and whatever Sony calls it's crap online service)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Cheaper and also drop in cost at a faster rate from date of release. Steam has a lot more sales because they have less responsibilities to keep prices high for retail boxed product partners. Get rid of boxes and you'll see more weekend sales, etc for premium games on Xbox Live (and whatever Sony calls it's crap online service)
Uh.. Can you say delusional? How many sales does MS have with Games on Demand or for that matter Sony although to be honest is tons better than MS with the PS+ service.

Here's a tip: MS isn't Valve. Xbox Gold != Steam.

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Sony will do pretty much the same or feel the wrath of the publishers.

MS has given them exactly what they want and if Sony doesn't do the same, not sure why EA or Activision would bother publishing for the PS4.

No games means no sales of PS4.

Conversely, consumers may buy the PS4 overwhelmingly, forcing the publishers and ultimately MS to reverse their stance.

It might turn out to be one ridiculously big game of chicken with their respective market shares.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Actually, Bungie has Destiny. Not sure why I thought it was Titan. Regardless, it's JAFPS (Just another first person shooter!) so... Don't care.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Actually, Bungie has Destiny. Not sure why I thought it was Titan. Regardless, it's JAFPS (Just another first person shooter!) so... Don't care.
Titan is the code name for Blizzard's next MMO project which has been once again delayed until forever.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

Winnow wrote:
Lynks wrote:Imagine if there was a law that said you couldn't buy used, or rent, cars anymore. You had to buy them (at full or near full price) if you wanted to use them.
Imagine if you could download a car instead of buy a physical one...but you can't do that...so there's that. Apples and Oranges.
No it's not. While you can download games, lots of people still buy the disc. There should be no restrictions on what you do with a disc.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Lynks wrote:
Winnow wrote:
No it's not. While you can download games, lots of people still buy the disc. There should be no restrictions on what you do with a disc.
There are no restrictions on the physical disk. You don't need to return it after you're done playing. You can use it as a coaster, mirror, and other things. Nothing's stopping you from doing that.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

The media has been pretty scathing in regards to the Xbone.

Polygon has a choice quote:
After a month of vague corporate comments from Microsoft executives, we now know the Xbox One's game licensing policy was written from the ground up for companies. It's aggressively anti-consumer and anti-middle class, and it outright ignores underprivileged gamers. It's gross, despicable, greedy, pathetic, cowardly and out of touch with a growing global resentment for corporations.
It's a fucking PR disaster the likes of which gaming has never seen before in it's entire history. The Xbone isn't simply disliked, it seems loathed by everyone.

But somehow Winnow thinks everything is just peachy!

Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Yes.. this whole debacle is almost the socio-economic nightmare that was APPLE MAPS. :shock:

How will we ever recover as a society.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

Winnow wrote:There are no restrictions on the physical disk. You don't need to return it after you're done playing. You can use it as a coaster, mirror, and other things. Nothing's stopping you from doing that.
Ya, do anything I want except lend it to any of my friends whenever I want.

Microsoft wrote:There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.
No restrictions huh? Seems like one to me here.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It's pretty funny how so wrapped up people are in the used games. It's genius on Microsoft's part because that's not going to matter one bit when it comes down to who wins the next gen console war.

At the very least, the hatred will flip to Sony as soon as it's made clear that their policies are just as fucked up, leaving Microsoft free to focus on other areas while Sony gets the heat right before release.

This quote that you are proud of...lets see how much of it applies to Sony after they finally reveal their policies. Somehow, Fairweather and the PS4 crew here will overlook that part. Sony already said the exact same thing that they will leave their game licensing policy in the hands of the companies...do you somehow thing ANY major company would allow a different policy on one console and not the other? Wipe away that blind Xbox One hatred and try to focus on something that will actually make a difference between the two consoles, like the best cloud services which are becoming more and more important, 300K Servers vs a handful of linux servers that has been OFFLINE for over a month in the past. Core rock solid windows kernel vs whatever Sony can hack together while counting on a company they picked up less than a year ago for their cloud services.
Bioshock Infinite: you can bring the cost down to $27.99/£13.59 by using the code GFDJUN20 in the US or GFDJUN20UK in the UK. The coupon code can also be used against a number of other top games, which include the Mass Effect Trilogy ($16), Fallout New Vegas ($3), Deus Ex: Human Revolution ($4), and also BioShock 1 & 2 ($4) — allowing you to own the trilogy for just $31.99. Some games are activated via Steam
27.00 already for a AAA game released a month ago on Amazon. The other prices above are ridiculously cheap. You don't need used games. What you deal of the day/budget people need to do is wait 30 days and then all of your dreams will come true. And if you can't wait 30 days? Pay the full fucking price. Not hard to figure out and both ways, the game developers get their share, and there's no need for used games. You pay to be an "early adopter" or wait a month. Jesus. With Xbox One offering Day ONE digital download available for every title, this pricing will finally move over to consoles as ancient boxed games become less and less common or needed. Keep up the whining though! You same people bitched and moaned about Blu Ray not being on the 360...yeah, that ended up mattering like not at all.
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

I don't think anyone is bitching about prices here Winnow. That's not the issue about used games that people have.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Dakanaf wrote:I don't think anyone is bitching about prices here Winnow. That's not the issue about used games that people have.
So, if everyone only wants to sell...who the hell is buying used games? If it's price, wait, if selling games is your concern then it will be the same for both consoles.

Once the final details from Sony are released, this topic can be revisited. Sony said they were going to let the game publishers decide if their games are eligible for used games...SAME policy as Microsoft. People are nuts if they think EA will have two different policies. Either they will allow it or not allow used game sales on both consoles.
How the PS4 plays used games will depend at least in part on how the PS4 treats discs, and how the PS4 treats discs depends on whether or not installations are mandatory. Installation and used games go hand-in-hand.

On the Xbox One, all games need to be installed to the hard drive. No exceptions. And that being the case, the disc is just an artifice. The disc isn't where you play the game; it's just a really fast download. You know, like how disc versions of games work on PC. So mandatory installation and used-game confusion sort of go hand-in-hand, and Sony is keeping its lips tightly sealed on both counts.

The out-and-out death of used games seems like inevitable growing pain of going into the digital future. So even if the PS4 plays used games off the disc, fee-free, it can only last for so long. Microsoft caught a lot of heat by going first, and some of its "mistakes" are arguably just unpopular steps toward an inevitable all-digital future.
People here don't even know what installation requirements and used game fees will be on the PS4 yet.

After Sony finally reveals it's plan, things won't be looking so bad for Microsoft. You can thank Microsoft for getting all this shit out in the open first, along with actually showing their console.
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

No one mentioned selling their games, either.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Dakanaf wrote:No one mentioned selling their games, either.
If the concern is about toting your game over to a friends and playing it with no requirements to log in or install the game, I take you back to the main point, Sony is also leaving the decision whether to allow used games sales in the hands of the publishers. I highly doubt you'll be able to just carry around a PS4 game and pop it in to any console and play it without either having to log in (which the Xbox One already allows on a friend's console) or not fully or partially installing the game. At the very least, the discs will have unique codes that register to your login ID.

So far, there is no difference between the two consoles except for Sony being silent. With the processing power of these new consoles, I don't see the PS4 not requiring at least partial install of games if they want to take advantage of their console and prevent game load delays.

If you can take your PS4 disks anywhere and play them on any machine with no need to login to your own account or install any part of the game, I'll be highly impressed. Lets see what happens. Old school copy protection was requiring the original disk. Now it's requiring logging into your online account.

On the flip side, if you can remote connect to your Xbox One and play all of your games remotely from your friend's Xbox One, as has been hinted at, that will be awesome.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I've picked a side in the console war.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:It's pretty funny how so wrapped up people are in the used games. It's genius on Microsoft's part because that's not going to matter one bit when it comes down to who wins the next gen console war.
Who "won" the current generation war? I'm sure if you asked 3 different people you'd get three different answers. In the end who gives a shit? The problem with just about every one of the things you evangelize is that it automatically makes anyone who disagrees with them wrong. or stupid. or lazy.
Wipe away that blind Xbox One hatred and try to focus on something that will actually make a difference between the two consoles, like the best cloud services which are becoming more and more important, 300K Servers vs a handful of linux servers that has been OFFLINE for over a month in the past. Core rock solid windows kernel vs whatever Sony can hack together while counting on a company they picked up less than a year ago for their cloud services.
Speaking of "blind hatred" lol.. How ironic. And if you're going to reference Sony's current server architecture, which by the way I'm sure is more than a "handful of linux servers" you might want to give the actual number MS is using now which is 15,000. And considering you have no idea on the plans for Sony's server architecture that's pretty much like comparing apples and oranges. Or apples and poodles.
Bioshock Infinite: you can bring the cost down to $27.99/£13.59 by using the code GFDJUN20 in the US or GFDJUN20UK in the UK. The coupon code can also be used against a number of other top games, which include the Mass Effect Trilogy ($16), Fallout New Vegas ($3), Deus Ex: Human Revolution ($4), and also BioShock 1 & 2 ($4) — allowing you to own the trilogy for just $31.99. Some games are activated via Steam
27.00 already for a AAA game released a month ago on Amazon. The other prices above are ridiculously cheap. You don't need used games.
Fairly certain those are PC prices. So if you're going there you may as well say "You don't need console games". Which hey may be the correct answer.
What you deal of the day/budget people need to do is wait 30 days and then all of your dreams will come true. And if you can't wait 30 days? Pay the full fucking price. Not hard to figure out and both ways, the game developers get their share, and there's no need for used games. You pay to be an "early adopter" or wait a month. Jesus.
Or download it and play it for free.. amirite?! This is just a ludicrous statement coming from someone who probably doesn't even pay for half the games they play these days.

--
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

haha, half. I doubt that fucking deadbeat has paid for a game since the day after Xbox 360 was hacked.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I find it hilarious that most people complaining about the once a day internet connection thing would probably go into convulsions if they, themselves were cut off from the internet for more than 2-3 hours.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Boogahz wrote:Image
Name 1 feature that Microsoft has promised on the Xbox 360 that they haven't delivered on in a working state. Speculative infographic bullshit.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Animalor wrote:Name 1 feature that Microsoft has promised on the Xbox 360 that they haven't delivered on in a working state. Speculative infographic bullshit.
So sensitive!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Animalor wrote:I find it hilarious that most people complaining about the once a day internet connection thing would probably go into convulsions if they, themselves were cut off from the internet for more than 2-3 hours.
what's so hard to understand about people not liking the idea that Microsoft is playing big brother with that crap? The government here in the U.S. has been going out of it's way to shit on our rights and invade our privacy/monitor us, and now a company that's trying to sell me an expensive piece of entertainment hardware wants on that bandwagon? Fuck them, I won't support it.

At least when you leave the choice of what to do about used games to the software companies, if people don't like their policies or what they charge, you can not buy their games, and when their sales take a noticeable plunge, they can see that maybe the used game market wasn't hurting them as much as they think. But having Microsoft play DRM police takes that option away, and what you're left with then is to skip the console entirely, instead of certain publishers games.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

=D>
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:what's so hard to understand about people not liking the idea that Microsoft is playing big brother with that crap? The government here in the U.S. has been going out of it's way to shit on our rights and invade our privacy/monitor us, and now a company that's trying to sell me an expensive piece of entertainment hardware wants on that bandwagon? Fuck them, I won't support it.
Don't forget Microsoft is part of PRISM. Even though they might deny it. I think they were the first on board back in 2007? Sony isn't! At least that we know about.

Fuck Microsoft!

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

PRISM LAWL.

At least, you guys being part of the US have some sort of legal protection against this. It's open season for anyone outside the US where no one in your administration is accountable for.

Your Govt is probably neck deep in telcos and ISP's an in NSA hands well before any of our data hits Microsoft, Google or Apple.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Animalor wrote:Your Govt is probably neck deep in telcos and ISP's an in NSA hands well before any of our data hits Microsoft, Google or Apple.
Then why even involve MS, Google or Apple? Exactly. You're logic is not logical.

Buy an XBO if you want I certainly wont get upset about it.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Most phones and laptops and some PCs have cameras pointing at you all day long. Unless you are placing tape over the camera lens, you're screwed! I'm sure the NSA is recording video from every phone and laptop secretly 24 hours a day.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Most phones and laptops and some PCs have cameras pointing at you all day long. Unless you are placing tape over the camera lens, you're screwed! I'm sure the NSA is recording video from every phone and laptop secretly 24 hours a day.
I don't have a (cell) phone or laptop either. Guess I'm safe!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's a good read. A microsoft engineer attempts to explain some things about their policies (off the record). Try not to spaz out on the first thing you don't like and read the entire thing. They give some useful insights on Kinect and the 24 hour thing.
>The thing is we suck at telling the story. The whole point of the DRM switch from disc based to cloud based is to kill disc swapping, scratched discs, bringing discs to friends house, trade-ins for shit value with nothign going back to developers, and high game costs. If you want games cheaper then 59.99, you have to limit used games somehow. Steam's model requires a limited used game model.

>The thing is, the DRM is really really similar to steam... You can login anywhere and play your games, anyone in your house can play with the family xbox. The only diff is steam you have to sign in before playing, and Xbox does it automatically at night for you (once per 24 hours)

>It's a long tail strategy, just like steam. Steam had it's growing pains at the beginning with all it's drm shit as well. [...] For digital downloads steam had no real competition at the time, they were competing against boxed sales. At the time people were pretty irate about steam, (on 4chan too...) It was only once they had a digital marketplace with DRM that was locked down to prevent sharing that they could do super discounted shit.

>Think about it, on steam you get a game for the true cost of the game, 5$-30$. On a console you have to pay for that PLUS any additional licenses for when you sell / trade / borrow / etc. If the developer / publisher can't get it on additional licenses (like steam), then they charge the first person more. [...] If we say "Hey publishers, you limit game to 39.99, we ensure every license transfer you get 10$, gamestop gets 20$" that is a decent model... Microsoft gets a license fee on first and subsequent game purchases, compared to just first now? That's a revenue increase.

>Competition is the best man, it helps drive both to new heights. See technology from the Cold War. If we had no USSR, we'd be way worse off today. TLDR: Bring it on Steam :)

2/4

>Yeah we passed that around the office at Xbox. Most of us were like "Well played Sony, Well played". That being said they are just riding the hype train of ZOMG THEY ARE TRYING TO FUCK US FOR NO REASON. Without actually thinking about how convienent it would be for the majority of the time to not find that disc your brother didn't put back... [...] just simpleminded people not seeing the bigger picture. Some PS4 viral team made them all "U TOOK R DISCS" and they hiveminded.

>Everyone and their mother complains about how gamestop fucks them on their trade ins, getting 5$ for their used games. We come in trying to find a way to take money out of gamestop, and put some in developers and get you possibly cheaper games and everyone bitches at MS. Well, if you want the @#$@ing from Gamestop, go play PS4.

>The goal is to move to digital downloads, but Gamestop, Walmart, Target, Amazon are KIND OF FUCKING ENTRENCHED in the industry. They have a lot of power, and the shift has to be gradual. Long term goal is steam for consoles. [...] If you always want to stay with what you have, then keep current consoles, or a PS4. We're TRYING to move the industry forwards towards digital distribution... it'sa bumpy road

>Publishers have enourmous power. Microsoft is trying to balance between consumer delight, and publisher wishes. If we cave to far in either direction you have a non-starting product. WiiU goes too far to consumer, you have no 3rd party support to shake a stick at. PS4 is status-quo. XB1 is trying to push some things, at the expense of others. We have a vision, we'll see if it works in the coming years

>Living room transformation. We want to own the living room. Every living room TV with an XBox on input one. It's the thing that gives the signal to your TV, everything is secondary. The future, where games, TV, internet telephony, all that shit happens magically on some huge ass screen with hand / voice gestures... That's our goal.

3/4 KINECT

>Google TV + PS4 + Minority report level gestures, that combined with a sick second screen experience (which is really hot for TV, I know I know.. tv tv tv tv tv... but it's fucking sick when you have it). Games will be the same, there are more exclusives to MS then PS atm, and Kinect 2 makes Kinect 1 look like a childs toy.

>By default it's on, listening for "Xbox On". You can turn it off tho, and turn the console like OFF off. OFF off is required for Germany / other countries that require it (no vampire appliances) [...] It has to be plugged in for the console to post. You can turn off everything it does from the settings. Think of it like airplane mode for the iPhone. You can't just unplug the cellular radio, but you can turn it off.

>Instead of 10mins, is 24hrs for your console, and 1 or 2 at a friends house. Really the majority of people have a speck of internet at least once a day. And if you don't. Don't buy an Xbox 1. Just like if you didn't have a broadband connection don't get Live, and if you don't have an HDTV the 360 isn't that great for you either. New tech, new req. This allows us to do cool shit when we can assume things like you have a kinect, you have internet, etc.

>Current plan is basically you're fucked after 24 hours. Yeah... I know. Kind of sucks. I believe they will probably revist the time period and / or find a diff way to "call in" to ensure you haven't sold your license to gamestop or something... but there is no plan YET. I'm hoping the change it, but I don't work on that so I don't have much influence there /sigh

>If the power goes out you ain't playing shit. I'm assuming you mean the internet goes out but you have power for TV and Xbox. Yes, You're fucked for single player games. Again, that's the PoR (Plan of record), but I expect it to change after the e3 clusterfuck

>What fee? There is no fee to play your games at your friends house. Never has, never will. Even x360 digital downloads could do that.

4/4 CLOUD

>The cloud capabilities is the shit they like the most. We basically made a huge cloud compute shit and made it free. What people are doing with it is kind of cool. THe original intention was to get all the Multiplayer servers not requiring 3rd party costs (Like EA shutting down game servers to cut costs), as well as taking all the games that servers hosted by the clients (Halo, etc), and have all that compute done in the cloud allowing more CPU cycles for gameplay. That will really expand what developers can do. Anything that doesn't need per frame calculation and can handle 100ms delays can be shifted to the cloud. That's huge.

>SmartGlass + IE is going to be pretty freaking sweet. 1 finger cursor, 2 finger direct manip. Basically if you think of a laptop trackpad where your phone/ slate is the trackpad and the monitor is your TV... it's that. The tech is there, just needs to be applied. There is some really cool shit going on with Petra + controllers that pairs people with controllers. So if person with controller two trades controlers with controller 1, their profiles magically switch. It's sick. What does this matter? Now if you lean left/right it knows which person is leaning, even if 4 people are all int he same room. It's awesome.

>New service using Azure for cloud compute. Allows developers to not use clients for hosting multiplayer servers, or other tasks that do not require per frame calcuations. It's pretty sweet.

This was all from the Microsoft engineer that was on /b/ last night.
IMO, what Microsoft needs to do is let boxed copies run their coarse and try to kill their sales as fast as possible. They're on the right track with their "Steam for Console" strategy.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Try not to spaz out on the first thing you don't like and read the entire thing.
Wow.. That's a lot of optimism in this climate..
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Animalor wrote:
Try not to spaz out on the first thing you don't like and read the entire thing.
Yeah, if we could all share your total apathy for getting screwed by yet another corporation, this thread would be a lot more interesting.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Animalor wrote:

Yeah, if we could all share your total apathy for getting screwed by yet another corporation, this thread would be a lot more interesting.
Funk, you're not thinking this through. Your closest 10 famlily gamer pals can share games anytime they want without having to move physical media around. Check the E3 thread.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

1- I'd be willing to bet they get rid of that at some point, just like Sony did on the PS3.
2- Everything I've read stated you wouldn't be able to play them at the same time, which would drastically reduce any use I got out of sharing games. And I'd still rather own my games, that way if they do take that feature away you wouldn't lose anything you have access to.

There's nothing that can be done to soften the blow of what they've said regarding all this. With people's distrust in corporations being at a high, all the online privacy stuff going on, etc; they chose a really piss poor time to try this. The only way to rectify the situation is to scrap all this DRM/used game crap entirely, it's that simple.

A side note: Germany has it right, every country should require the no vampire electronics thing. If people don't want to be conscious about their energy use, don't give them an option. I have everything plugged into power strips, and I shut it off when I'm not using something. You don't need to have your console always draining energy to be waiting for your fat, lazy ass to say "Xbox on" instead of walking over to it and pressing the power button.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote: 2- Everything I've read stated you wouldn't be able to play them at the same time, which would drastically reduce any use I got out of sharing games. And I'd still rather own my games,
What?

1. You can't play the same game ever in two location with physical media. With Xbox One, you can play any other game in someone's library at the SAME time though. And you can let someone else play any of the games in your library while you're playing whatever game you choose without having to drive over and give them the game.

2. You'd rather own your own games? How does that affect anything? Buy your own games if you want your own games. The goal of moving to non physical media is to reduce the new game cost.

It will happen over the next few years.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Aslanna wrote:I don't have a (cell) phone or laptop either.
:shock: