The Official PS4 thread!

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: The Official PS4 thread!

Post by Winnow »

Just watched the demo of PS4's UI. It looks like crap. Possibly worse than the PS3's UI. At best same (which is not good) or a regression in that category for Sony.

UI isn't as key as the controller (which Xbox One dominates), but at least they could have attempted to improve it.

Watch if you want to fall asleep: (also horrible low budget UI sound effects)

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/21/a-lei ... ed-gamesc/
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The PS4 UI is 10 times better than anything Metro related. That's what turned me off from the 360 to begin with.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

yeah I'm not sure it is even possible to make a UI worse than the Xbox. I could not even tell you how to find my games on that machine. every time I try to find one it is like a new experience in stupid menus, 1000 decibel streaming ads for gum and axe body spray and my arcade games are about six layers deep.

when I boot up my PS3 my games are all right there on the main page. I can order them by date or alphabetical and it takes me exactly one button press to get into the last game I was playing. it's fucking pathetic. winnow is a fucking worthless troll who values nothing that he can't steal though, so I am not surprised he took a swipe at this.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It looked like shit in that video. It looks like shit on my PS3.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

But.. The PS4 UI is essentially the XMB on the top row that opens up boxes with information in them below. It's essentially metro as well.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I prefer the XMB on the PS3. It's Emmy award winning you know! How many Emmy awards has the lame metro dashboard won? zero! Exactly.

PS4 UI is not "essentialy Metro". Just the presence of 'boxes' doesn't = metro. There's more to it than that. The PS4 interface does seem like a step down as opposed to a pure XMB interface but I'll wait until I actually use it to make a judgement. I've used the 360 dashboard and simply hated it. So much so I stopped using my 360.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xbox is better designed with page swipes as opposed to lameness of the xbar. Settings are easier to access. Both console UIs could be improved but I'll take Xbox anyday, especially after seeing what's in store for the next generation. Microsoft has the UI switching working smooth and silky. I'll be going all Minority Report while PS4 people sit there and click their share button. Weeeeee.

Thankfully I can get right to my hacked games and use the hacked game launcher which blows away anything the incompetents at Sony could program.

All Sony seems to be able to do is issue out mind numbingly long firmware updates that take forever which thankfully I can skip with a hacked console.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah I've liked the UI's for both the 360 and PS3 less and less as they change them, but currently I like the PS3's quite a bit more, it's much cleaner. I imagine this gap between the two is just going to get bigger with the new consoles, considering I don't use 3/4 of the non game related entertainment crap they are packing in its OS, nor do I have any interest in using Kinect.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The PS3 UI hasn't changed at all. Other than them moving some things to different spots. The biggest (horrendous) change was to the PSN Store but I don't really count that as part of the interface but I guess it is in a way. Hopefully the PS4 UI will perform better than that crappy store does.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, that's what I meant in regards to the PS3. I hate the store layout, the Netflix app is also laggy and crappy but that's not their fault. The store on the Xbox is even worse, though... I have to resort to typing in what I'm searching for almost every time because the categories/menus aren't even close to intuitive or complete.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I only use my xbox to play games. I only use my PS3 to play games and Blu Rays. I don't really go into the sub menus anymore.

Every other service that either device offers is done better and faster by other, newer devices. From AppleTV to the TV itself (which has a Netflix button on the remote and it starts up instantly).

I think next gen will bring the consoles up to parity at least but I don't really have a reaon to use them for anything other than playing video games and watching physical media.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Yeah, all this extra stuff is bs, it's all about the games which Xbox certainly have better ones at launch.

It's all about the games. Titanfall is winning award after award, Dead Rising is an actual launch title worth playing. All on Xbox One.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

http://kotaku.com/sony-exec-falls-aslee ... 1183804857

SONY exec falls asleep during exciting PS4 game presentation
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The Gamescom 2013 winners were announced today, crowning the PlayStation 4 with Best Hardware of show.

Sony's next-generation console, the PlayStation 4, beat out Microsoft's Xbox One and Nintendo's Wii U for Best Hardware.
Winner!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
The Gamescom 2013 winners were announced today, crowning the PlayStation 4 with Best Hardware of show.

Sony's next-generation console, the PlayStation 4, beat out Microsoft's Xbox One and Nintendo's Wii U for Best Hardware.
Winner!

Kind of funny that PS4's best game of show was Destiny which is also on the 360/Xbox One and PS3 as well....that's the best they could come up with forbest PS4 game of show? Last gen stuff and not even console exclusive.

Best game overall off Show: Titanfall (Xbox One/PC)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Winnow wrote:
Aslanna wrote:

Winner!

Kind of funny that PS4's best game of show was Destiny which is also on the 360/Xbox One and PS3 as well....that's the best they could come up with forbest PS4 game of show? Last gen stuff and not even console exclusive.

Best game overall off Show: Titanfall (Xbox One/PC)
PS4, best HARDWARE of show
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:
PS4, best HARDWARE of show
No shit sherlock. That was made clear two posts ago. Pay attention.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

1) My post wasn't referencing games
2) Titanfall was not "best game overall of show". That's not even a category!
3) Put XBO crap in the XBO thread!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:1) My post wasn't referencing games
2) Titanfall was not "best game overall of show". That's not even a category!
3) Put XBO crap in the XBO thread!
All the winners:

Best Console Game Sony:
Destiny

Best Console Game Nintendo:
Mario Kart 8

Best Console Game Microsoft Xbox:
Titanfall

Best Next Generation Console Game:
Titanfall

Best Action Game:
Destiny

Best Role Playing Game:
The Elder Scrolls Online

Best Racing Game:
Forza Motorsport 5

Best Sports Game:
FIFA 14

Best Simulation Game:
WarThunder

Best Family Game:
Mario Kart 8

Best Hardware including Peripheral:
PlayStation 4

Best Mobile Game:
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Best Online Multiplayer Game:
Destiny

Best PC Game:
Battlefield 4

Best Social/Casual/Online Game:
The Elder Scrolls Online
According to Sony, it's all about the games and the best game they can come up with is one that's on at least three other platforms.

Looks like Xbox One has the best launch titles and best next gen game of show, and best racing game....all about the games...hah, with Sony, it's all about hyped marketing campaigns.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funny. I don't see the "Best game overall off Show" category.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Funny. I don't see the "Best game overall off Show" category.
As for hardware, perhaps they should wait for the benchmarks. until then it's all speculation except that the Xbox One controller will be better than the PS4's due to the odd joystick configuration if nothing else. (but there's a lot else that makes it better)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
As for hardware, perhaps they should wait for the benchmarks. until then it's all speculation except that the Xbox One controller will be better than the PS4's due to the odd joystick configuration if nothing else. (but there's a lot else that makes it better)
It was best hardware including peripherals. Pretty sure controllers would count as a peripheral. XBO even ha an extra peripheral (Kinect) and it's STILL couldn't win. Fail.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:
It was best hardware including peripherals. Pretty sure controllers would count as a peripheral. XBO even ha an extra peripheral (Kinect) and it's STILL couldn't win. Fail.
At this point regarding relative performance of the two consoles, it's a wait and see for the actual benchmarks. It's already been discussed that the biggest "advantage" for PS4, the DDR5 ram, outside of graphics, isn't good for overall system performance where the Xbox One's memory would work better.

I am willing to concede that the PS4 console is oddly shaped. That has me worried because the george foreman PS3 USB ports were located in a horrible place so when I start seeing strange warped shapes purely for aesthetics I have some concerns.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

yeah those four forward facing USB ports on PS3 were way less convenient than the 360's single USB port located at the back underneath that god awful proprietary video cable.

you trolling fucking retard.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Did the original PS3 have 4 front-facing USB ports? I have the first slim revision an I only have 2 on mine.

Xbox 360 has 2 in front and 1 in the back. The 360S has another, Kinect-specific one that's higher voltage with a non-standard shape.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

kyoukan wrote:yeah those four forward facing USB ports on PS3 were way less convenient than the 360's single USB port located at the back underneath that god awful proprietary video cable.
Yeah the PS3 USB port location sucks...set way back in console with some lame foreman grill overhang making you practically need to use a flashlight and spelunk to see the ports. They may as well be placed in the back of the console.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

trolling about forward facing USB ports has got to be the most pathetic and desperate thing I have read. seriously, does anyone in your real life like you? there is literally no one you can talk to?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

kyoukan wrote:trolling about forward facing USB ports has got to be the most pathetic and desperate thing I have read. seriously, does anyone in your real life like you? there is literally no one you can talk to?
You're the dipshit that can't seem to ignore my comments. you're the dipshit that blew the USB comment out of proportion and then, as usual, only respond with "TROLL!" when I stick it right back in your face with further details.

Must be fun living in your imaginary world of perceived awesomess!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

kyoukan wrote:trolling about forward facing USB ports has got to be the most pathetic and desperate thing I have read. seriously, does anyone in your real life like you? there is literally no one you can talk to?
Winnow IRL:

You are his Clarice, Kyoukan.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hasn't swallowed her tongue yet. Give it a year or two.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I like that better than black. (still don't get why a console needs a huge neon blue light stick glowing on the console but it looks better with white)

This would have been the best color scheme reflecting Sony's anti-progressive stance.

swank
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I don't know if the Xbox One will do the same, but I like this feature a lot. No more waiting until you get home to start your install. It could be an issue if you're remote connecting to your PC and it bogs you down but that's probably not much of a factor for most. As long as there's an option to start immediately or wait it should be good.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

That's a cool feature. I can only imagine that the XBOne does the same thing given that it's never truly off.

Android and Windows Phone do this already with you buy an app through their web marketplace.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

A few days ago SCE Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida caused a bit of confusion about the installation of disc-based games on the PS4, by saying “you cannot install a disk version onto HDD.” He meant that the only way to play a game without the disc in the drive will be to use a digital copy but the sentence didn’t come out as intended, probably due to the language barrier.

Today he confirmed that users will indeed be able to fully install disc-based games on the PS4′s hard disk, but they’ll still have to keep the disc in the drive for verification.
About time. One of the only good things about the 360 was the ability to install games to the HDD. Too bad that never officially made it's way to the PS3.

--
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Only old 360 games run faster when you install them. Anything that came out in 2008 or later probably doesn't see any performance increases through installation. The only real advantage is you're not spinning the 360's cheap, shitty optical drive that makes a harley davidson sound like an expensive sewing machine.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

But you cannot install games to an external drive and have it work with the PS4. Very stupid. Even my Wii can do that.

So, I'll likely install a 3TB internal in my PS4 and place the 500GB from that into an external enclosure and save that for when I get an Xbone next year.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

kyoukan wrote:Only old 360 games run faster when you install them. Anything that came out in 2008 or later probably doesn't see any performance increases through installation. The only real advantage is you're not spinning the 360's cheap, shitty optical drive that makes a harley davidson sound like an expensive sewing machine.
I meant it would be a nice feature if it was on the PS3. Since the Blu-Ray drive is slow as molasses. So it would have been a good thing if Sony had implemented it.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

kyoukan wrote:Only old 360 games run faster when you install them. Anything that came out in 2008 or later probably doesn't see any performance increases through installation. The only real advantage is you're not spinning the 360's cheap, shitty optical drive that makes a harley davidson sound like an expensive sewing machine.

I know you are about as smart as a potato when it comes to tech but you really should shut your pie hole unless you are intentionally trying to make people laugh at your ignorance.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Fairweather Pure wrote:But you cannot install games to an external drive and have it work with the PS4. Very stupid. Even my Wii can do that.

So, I'll likely install a 3TB internal in my PS4 and place the 500GB from that into an external enclosure and save that for when I get an Xbone next year.
Well, scratch that. Per Major Nelson, external drive support will not be available at launch for the Xbone but it is something they would like to add eventually. Ugh.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Well, scratch that. Per Major Nelson, external drive support will not be available at launch for the Xbone but it is something they would like to add eventually. Ugh.
Does that surprise you? Just another example of Microsoft promising something and then not delivering!
In May, senior director of product planning for Microsoft Albert Penello confirmed that the USB 3.0 ports in the back of the console could be used for external hard drives, but that the console's native hard drive would not be removable. We've reached out to Microsoft to find out when external hard drives will be supported for the console.
So not only is that not in place but you can't replace the puny 500GB HDD. Nice design!

--
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

yeah Im sure they will bring it in later like every other thing they have said the xbox one is going to have and they have re-negged on.

Im so glad they put the USB port conveniently in the back though instead of in the front where only stupid people would put an input.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Why's everyone so worried about storing more than 500GB? Guess those exclusive games are looking good! On the pecking order of things that would be missed at launch, expansion storage would be at the bottom of the list. My 360 HD never failed although my PS3 HD sure did, forcing me to buy a new one. Money which could have gone toward my hand therapy bills from using the dualshock controller for more than 5 minutes at a time.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

500 GB is not a lot of storage. That's maybe 20 games before it's full? My dreamms of going 100% digital this gen have been dashed early. Due to the quanity of games I buy, it's still not practical given the substandard storage solutions of the xbone. I've decided to save $100 by not replacing the PS4 HD too. I'll just continue having discs!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:500 GB is not a lot of storage. That's maybe 20 games before it's full? My dreamms of going 100% digital this gen have been dashed early. Due to the quanity of games I buy, it's still not practical given the substandard storage solutions of the xbone. I've decided to save $100 by not replacing the PS4 HD too. I'll just continue having discs!
As Microsoft Senior Director of Product Planning Albert Penello told our pals at Engadget back in May, the Xbox One is expected to support external storage devices via the system's three USB ports. According to Penello, those devices will be able to store the same things the system's integrated 500GB HDD can, including game installs and downloaded software.
Good enough for me. USB 3 drives are cheap and you can run installed games from it. We don't even have a release date for the console yet. I'm sure Microsoft wants people to be able to store more than 500GB eventually since they are the company at the forefront of digital sharing and media distribution.

When it comes to promises, I'll take Microsoft's word for it. They don't remove features like Sony does. I'd be more concerned about Sony's "promises" of offering streaming games...someday...in the future...after they actually have a decent network and maybe come even remotely close to Microsoft's huge supply of bandwidth/servers with rock solid software support and really fast updates compared to Sony's mess.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Well, scratch that. Per Major Nelson, external drive support will not be available at launch for the Xbone but it is something they would like to add eventually. Ugh.
Guess you missed that one
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Awesome Winnow post. Wrong, wrong and wrong.

Yeah, in now way does Microsoft ever remove features from a console. You know, other than every feature they said the Xbone was going to have.

Sony has streaming downloads for their games now. On PS3. They don't have to promise something in the future that they are already delivering now. You fucking retard.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xbox One in full production. CPU increased from 1.6 to 1.75ghz. Add that to the GPU clock increase and the ESRAM that may actually have been obtained from aliens and the performance difference between the two consoles shrinks more and more.

After playing Diablo on my PS3 using one of those dualshock things, I tried out the new DOA-Ultimate release on my Xbox. As soon as I picked up the 360 controller my body relaxed and all felt right in the world again. After the tenseness caused by the dualshock, picking up the 360 controller overwhelmed my body with such a soothing wave that I couldn't control myself and let out a little fart.

*not to mention that Xbox One actually has decent launch titles and a solid network while PS4 users will spend their first week waiting for firmware updates or waiting for unbricking instructions.

kyoukan wrote: Sony has streaming downloads for their games now. On PS3. They don't have to promise something in the future that they are already delivering now. You fucking retard.

I really shouldn't respond to you anymore because it may be considered cruelty due to your short bus level intelligence. You pulled "streaming downloads" out of your ass. Sony discussed live streaming games in their hyped console "reveal" you dipshit...you know...that's why they bought that micro company Gaikai. Try and focus a bit. Harken back to your special ed days. I'm sure they tried to teach you concentration tricks.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aslanna wrote:And I doubt it will be December.

My personal prediction: 1 week before the XBO launches.
Nailed it!
Xbox One is launching Nov. 22

--
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

The last two PS3 games I bought on PSN I was able to start playing at 20% downloaded. I guess to you the only way it is possible to stream data is using some weird service you read about on some forum you've been banned from, but to people who are actually smart, a streaming download is something I can access while the majority of the data is still coming in.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

kyoukan wrote:The last two PS3 games I bought on PSN I was able to start playing at 20% downloaded. I guess to you the only way it is possible to stream data is using some weird service you read about on some forum you've been banned from, but to people who are actually smart, a streaming download is something I can access while the majority of the data is still coming in.

You still don't get it moron. You don't download shit. Remove the word "download" from your fucking mind. Live streaming. No downloading. Games on demand. You play the game directly from the cloud.

dip....

....shit

Maybe read up on some of the technology so you don't look as stupid as you are.
Gaikai is a cloud-based gaming service that allows users to play high-end PC and console video games rendered on remote servers via internet streaming, and instantly demo games and applications from a webpage or any internet-connected device.
What makes it great is that you can potentially play this shit from a device as simple as an Apple TV or Roku type device. You don't need a console at all. It's like Netflix but for games.

Stop fucking making yourself look dumber than you already are. School me on maple syrup or something.