The Official PS4 thread!

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: The Official PS4 thread!

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Winnow wrote:Closer to zero chance for PS4 since they went with the uber retarded honeycomb processor in the PS3. Microsoft could do it much easier if they wanted.

This is true. However, playing online between generations would be tricky, as was discussed.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:I guess in Microsoft hater viewpoints, that's a point against Xbox 720 since they were less retarded than Sony and could actually possibly include backwards compatibility...they still may via download even if they decide not to support the game DVDs.
I doubt the delivery method is what matters since a blu-ray could easily read a DVD. Backwards Compatibility is just an old fashioned notion. Sure the Wii-U has it but is that really next gen? Not really. it's just a HD Wii.
Windows 8 > Windows 7
Wrong!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I'm still rockin' my ten-year-old PS2.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

It looks like you're going to need at least 5 cables attached to your PS4 controller for it to function with a possible 6th if the battery runs out. :shock:

I can't see the triggers in the image but it looks like they may still be clueless about the whole concave/convex ergonimics...which will be pretty damn amazing if they keep their triggers as they are on the PS3 controller.

Only thing possibly positive I can see is that they may have given the controller a little texture to make it easier to grip...which is one thing out of tons of other negatives that I've never mentioned before that also sucks on the PS3 controller...too glossy smooth.

Joystick placements are still retarded. 360 left joystick placed higher on left side makes sense since you predominantly use the joystick on the left in most games...once again, Sony is living in the 80's when it comes to ergonomics...even Nintendo figured it out. Placing the joysticks that far down and even farther apart looks like an increase in doctor visits worldwide for advanced crabhands is imminent.

No comment on the actual functions built into the controller yet. 18 axis with smell emitter?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm fairly certain that's only one cable which is just coiled around. I really don't think there are 5 separate cables coming out of the back!

It is rather ugly but keep in mind that what is in the picture is a prototype. I don't really see the need for the touchpad thing though. My guess is they're changing the UI from the easy to navigate XMB (once you learn where everything is) to something like the Vita's "bubble" menus. So you use the touch thing to navigate around. I hope that's not the case as that is simply change for change's sake. Like Windows 8.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Orbis is also following the path first set by Xbox Live: our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus.
uh Oh! Your crappy hackable online experience may start costing you money! Still rumors until tomorrow.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Define "most". If I had to bet I'd say actual online multiplayer functionality will not require any sort of subscription. Anything else could fall into the "most" category.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

If they're going to step their online game up and make it more like Xbox live (which they damn well better), I don't really see how they wouldn't charge for it. I'd be perfectly fine paying for it if they brought it up to par.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I hear everyone say it sucks but no specifics other than not having party chat. And as explained that's a hardware issue and has nothing to do with PSN. So what else is there?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Controlling the PS4 with your phone/tablet (including chat and DL functions), 429 and 529$ versions of the system, upgraded PS eye, and available in Nov. 2013. The pay wall does not shock me.

Lots of rumors and less than 24 hrs until confirmation.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Funkmasterr wrote:If they're going to step their online game up and make it more like Xbox live (which they damn well better), I don't really see how they wouldn't charge for it. I'd be perfectly fine paying for it if they brought it up to par.
Aside from cross-game and party chat, what makes xbox live 'gold' so much better than what PSN offers?
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:If they're going to step their online game up and make it more like Xbox live (which they damn well better), I don't really see how they wouldn't charge for it. I'd be perfectly fine paying for it if they brought it up to par.
Aside from cross-game and party chat, what makes xbox live 'gold' so much better than what PSN offers?
That's what I asked! Thus far the only response to that has been /crickets.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Having a party system in place that operates independent of the game server is huge. On nights I play halo, I turn on my Xbox, hit the guide button and hit join party and game on my friend, it boots up halo, puts me in their game and party and I'm ready to go. I want that from the ps4.

I also use Xbox chat as a way to talk to my out of country friends who in most cases aren't playing the same game as me, so party chat is big for me for that reason, too.
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

That may be the only thing people have come up with, but it's huge. I have a few people on my ps3 friends list but besides maybe two of them I don't even remember who they are, and I have never, ever, not even once, played online with any of them. So why are we friends? I even bought the stupid blue tooth headset and I've never used it. I've gone through 3 headsets in the life of my 360 and finally got a turtle beach one because of how much I use the chat features on there because even if we aren't playing together we can still chat.

Simply put if the ps4 does not have that feature they already failed right out the gate.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Dakanaf wrote:That may be the only thing people have come up with, but it's huge. I have a few people on my ps3 friends list but besides maybe two of them I don't even remember who they are, and I have never, ever, not even once, played online with any of them. So why are we friends? I even bought the stupid blue tooth headset and I've never used it. I've gone through 3 headsets in the life of my 360 and finally got a turtle beach one because of how much I use the chat features on there because even if we aren't playing together we can still chat.

Simply put if the ps4 does not have that feature they already failed right out the gate.
Not sure how many times it has to be said but the Vita has party chat. While I haven't actually used it I'm sure it does a decent job at doing what it's supposed to do. There' s virtually no chance that the PS4 wont have this feature as well. The only reason it hasn't been 'retrofitted' onto the PS3 is because it's simply not possible due to the way they designed things.

So if that's the only thing people claim make the PS3 so bad of an online experience then rest easy!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

As we get ready for Sony’s big announcement, let’s take a look back at the promises it made in 2005 and 2006 prior to the launch of PlayStation 3, to find out how well they’ve held up over the ensuing eight years.

“We are happy to announce that PlayStation 3 will have backward compatibility…” — former Sony Computer Entertainment chairman Ken Kutaragi

Rewatching the 2005 and 2006 press conferences in which Sony debuted the PS3 is still amazing today. The games they show off still look incredible even by 2013 standards. The problem is that many of them don’t exist.

Of the games that Sony showed, many — Ni-Oh, Eyedentity, Fifth Phantom Saga, Killing Day, Eight Days — never made it to store shelves. And some others changed considerably before release, like Resistance: Fall of Man. Sony also spent a bafflingly long time talking up Gran Turismo 4, which wouldn’t be released for four and a half years.

PlayStation 3 will have two HDMI outputs, standard Wi-Fi, and support for 7 controllers. — Ken Kutaragi at Sony’s 2005 E3 press conference.

When Sony first announced the PlayStation 3, it got applause from the E3 crowd for a laundry list of features that never made it into the final system. Few people mourned these, because frankly nobody really needed two HDMI ports.

In this case, it seems like Sony simply announced the console a bit too early into the design process, and they ended up cutting several of these features before the system launched. Wi-Fi is almost a standard feature on the PS3, but it did not ship with the 20GB model of the system at launch. It’s important to keep in mind that the design of the console may not be finalized, even if Sony pretends it is.

“The possibility of creating a GMS, a global map system, users will be invited to upload their data. Users will start with all the pieces of information in their living room, their favorite restaurant, their school…. This is not just a pipe dream. You can enjoy the data in real time. You can fly through the landscape in real time.” — Ken Kutaragi in his Tokyo Game Show 2006 keynote.

Ken Kutaragi became known in some gaming circles as Crazy Ken as a result of his penchant for semi-delusional psychobabble like the quote you just read above. Here, Kutaragi spoke at length about the PS3′s potential for creating a 2006 global map system that would render 2013′s Google Maps laughably obsolete.

He also went on to explain how gamers would map the insides of their homes and offices, which would allow game developers easy access to cheap game levels. I’m honestly not sure if this part of the speech was a prank that didn’t translate well. Or maybe it was an elaborate parody of himself. Any way you slice it, this claim was false. If it’s not false, then Sony headquarters is hiding the technology to digitize the entire planet.

Verdict: False

“I believe it represents a huge chunk of our users who will be very excited by Home and what that means for their socialization, communication, customization, and being able to live in this great 3-D space that is Home.” — then-Sony Worldwide Studios head Phil Harrison in a March 2007 interview with GameReactor.

This is undoubtedly a subjective statement, as much of it depends on what he meant by “huge chunk.” However, there aren’t many people who are willing to say at this point that PlayStation Home, a Second Life-style virtual online world, was a big success for Sony.

These days the free service is used by a seemingly small niche of users who are apparently fond of bizarre micro-transactions like body paint and skimpy kimonos. This wasn’t exactly what Sony promised back when the service launched. It was meant to usher in a new era for videogaming that merged the social aspects of Second Life while becoming a centerpiece of the PlayStation Network strategy.

Instead, we can’t even remember the last time Sony mentioned Home in public.

“It’s probably too cheap… For instance, is it not nonsense to compare the charge for dinner at the company cafeteria with dinner at a fine restaurant? It’s a question of what you can do with that game machine. If you can have an amazing experience, we believe price is not a problem.” — Ken Kutaragi on PS3′s $600 price tag.

Former CEO Ken Kutaragi didn’t stay at the company very long after the underwhelming launch of the PlayStation 3, and statements like this illustrate precisely why. Kutaragi made numerous statements to this effect, including one odd moment when he suggested gamers would work longer hours at work just to be able to afford the PS3.

With respect to this specific quote, only hardcore PS3 fans would claim there is a large difference between the PS3 and Xbox 360. There may be more technical potential in the PlayStation 3 than in the Xbox 360, but over the past six years the difference has been practically indiscernible. If the software can’t take advantage of the added horsepower then the technical specs are pretty meaningless.

To put it in Kutaragi terms, the Xbox 360 is like eating at Sony’s cafeteria, then the cafeteria must serve filet mignon and crème brûlée every day. Not only was price a problem, it was the problem that tanked PlayStation 3.

PS3 can run games at 120 frames per second, stream six channels of HD, and decode one thousand media thumbnails simultaneously. — Ken Kutaragi and Phil Harrison, in a translated interview with Nikkei BP and the PS3 E3 reveal respectively.

The most important thing to keep in mind while watching the PS4 reveal is that Sony has a track record of making incredible claims about the console that can’t really be verified. Maybe the PS3 can decode a thousand media thumbnails simultaneously, but can an end user verify that?
Things to keep in mind during the announcement!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Negative Nancy.

I think a lot of Japanese companies issues are separating how the rest of the world thinks versus how people in Japan do. Because off that list - Home is something I'm sure is more popular in Japan - and working longer hours to afford a PS3 is absolutely something Japanese people would do. This is also supported by the games made there, but specifically the RPG's.

That being said, one thing they aren't is stupid. They know the decisions they made that bit them in the ass, and in the financial shape they are in right now, it's a pretty safe bet they'll go out of their way not to make them again.

Anyhow, I like what I've heard so far. Microsoft will definitely have to bring their A game.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I don't personally care for Blizzard or Diablo, but I think Sony might have just won before they even started.

And Bungie? Oh poor, poor Microsoft.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:I don't personally care for Blizzard or Diablo, but I think Sony might have just won before they even started.

Being put out by Activision I'm guessing Destiny wont be a PS4 exclusive.

As far as Diablo 3 goes.. Eh. Pass.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:I don't personally care for Blizzard or Diablo, but I think Sony might have just won before they even started.

Being put out by Activision I'm guessing Destiny wont be a PS4 exclusive.

As far as Diablo 3 goes.. Eh. Pass.
Oh I know that, but not being a MS exclusive is a serious dickpunch.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I watched the entire 2 hour presentation. Pretty lame stuff. Impressive power but Xbox next gen will have that.

The Move videos were painful to watch. Looks like crap compared to the new Kinect 1920 info released today.

Really, Watchdogs was the most impressive thing in the whole show and that will probably be on the Xbox as well.

Square Enix is an afterthought at this point. Bungie is not Playstation exclusive and a tiny little extra content doesn't make it so. Blizzard Diablo III? who gives a shit. If they unveiled Titan or something that would have been huge.

It will be nice to have a new generation of Sony Playstation out for the added power but I'm not seeing anything there that wow'd, especially the games they demoed.

While I'm not a big Kinect fan, the new Kinect will destroy that incredibly lame Move demo from the LittleBigPLanet guys.

They did show some headway on the social side of things, and the streaming games is a good thing. I was impressed with Onlive and Sony's tech is similar. Makes sense to offer backwards compatibility via streaming...now if they let previous game owners stream the games they own...that would be a nice perk.

Overall, kinda weak so far. I'll wait and see what Microsoft comes up with for their intro but there's no way in hell it could be worse than what I just saw.

As for the controller. There's the slightest hint of the triggers actually curving in the right direction but they still look fat compared to the more easily controlled and better shaped 360 triggers.

I think they should have waited on this introduction and then also showed the actual console, even if it was as close as a week before E3.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Everyone I game with, many of them fiercely loyal Xbox gamers, are on the edge of making the ps4 their primary console.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:Everyone I game with, many of them fiercely loyal Xbox gamers, are on the edge of making the ps4 their primary console.
I can't imagine today's presentation helped that move. If you haven't watched the actual 2 hours presentation. Do it. Nothing too exciting there. They are catching up to Microsoft in "friends" but do you think Microsoft is going to sit still in that area? Plus no crab hand perma pain.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:Everyone I game with, many of them fiercely loyal Xbox gamers, are on the edge of making the ps4 their primary console.
I can't imagine today's presentation helped that move. If you haven't watched the actual 2 hours presentation. Do it. Nothing too exciting there. They are catching up to Microsoft in "friends" but do you think Microsoft is going to sit still in that area? Plus no crab hand perma pain.
That "boring" two hour presentation is precisely what swayed those in question, but you're entitled to your opinion! For me and the people I play with, if the rumor of the new xbox needing to always be online ends up to be true, or if they can't seriously one up Sony, we'll be moving to the PS4 as our primary console without question. I'm willing to deal with the controller for that, or find a 3rd party controller I like more.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Winnow wrote:
That "boring" two hour presentation is precisely what swayed those in question, but you're entitled to your opinion! For me and the people I play with, if the rumor of the new xbox needing to always be online ends up to be true, or if they can't seriously one up Sony, we'll be moving to the PS4 as our primary console without question. I'm willing to deal with the controller for that, or find a 3rd party controller I like more.
Um, the "always on" rumors with new Xbox or no more real or fake than the rumors with the PS4...and the controller is critical component of a console for me...it's your primary input device after all.

What the hell would have swayed you in the presentation? That fact that they're actually trying to catch up to what Microsoft already has and Microsoft hasn't even presented their new system. Sounds like pretty weak reasoning to me so far.

The only thing so far that I like so far is the streaming..but that's only good for those with solid connections.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Games, for one. It's good to see more developers going cross platform that haven't in the past, and Bungie specifically was one that pulled me towards Xbox over the PS3. And just generally speaking it looks like Sony realizes the missteps they made with the PS3 and are trying to ensure they don't make the same mistakes. I think Microsoft is probably more complacent, so I don't know that they'll end up putting in the same effort. That and I can say that my original PS3 is still working (although I gave it to my brother and bought a slim model), and I have no intention of continuing to buy a new Xbox whatever if they have the same hardware reliability issues, it just makes me hesitant of them.

I think maybe the biggest part for me though, is the crowd each draws. One thing the PS3 has had going for it in every multiplayer game I've played on it, is that the people are much more mature. For every 100 obnoxious teenage dickwads and/or cheaters I play with/against on Xbox there's maybe 5 of them on the PS3. This has started to really take a toll on my ability to enjoy playing the multiplayer aspect of a game on Xbox long term.

Last but not least is timing. I'm ready for a new console generation and the graphical goodness that comes with it, and if they are comparable and there are no major concerns for me with the PS3, and it comes out first, it'll win. I don't have the money to buy both on release.

And many of the rumors for the PS3 were pretty accurate, as far as what was announced today goes. And the always online thing with the Xbox really wouldn't surprise me. Motion gaming has no bearing on what i decide to get, so the new kinect could be a billion times better than move and I won't give a shit.

I'm saving my final decision until details about the Xbox come out, obviously, but it's looking like there's a good chance I'll be getting the PS4 first at this point.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Overall it was a decent press event but there were too many details missing to actually get me that excited about it at this point. But I'm sure we'll know a lot more once E3 rolls around. Regardless, nothing thus far that makes me want to go out and buy it Day 1. Most of the games shown didn't really interest me with maybe the exception of Knack just because it looked like it could be different and fun. And the Media Molecule thing? Still really not sure what that was all about. Once I heard "Move" I sort of tuned it out. I kind of thought Move was pretty much dead. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case!

BTW, I don't expect the xbox announcement, whenever that happens to be, will "wow" me either.

Some controller specs:
Weight Approx. 210g (tentative)
That's ~1 ounce more than the DS3. For people who complain that it's too light I guess. It weighs the same as a 360 controller but that's without batteries in the 360 controller.
Battery Type Built-in Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery
Voltage DC3.7V (tentative)
Capacity 1000mAh (tentative)
Yay no AA! By way of comparison the DS3 has a 570mAh battery. But the DS4 has that stupid light bar so it might be a wash as far as power usage goes.

For you trigger people.. Looks to be mostly pointing the proper way: (assuming it doesn't red X. If so can find it and more pictures here)

I may have been imagining things but it looks like the XMB is gone and instead something that almost reminds me of the XBOX UI. aka Metro. /shiver. I didn't like any of the UI elements they showed to be honest.

Watch Dogs I'm sure will not be a PS4 exclusive. I'm fairly certain all the stuff they showed in the last ~30 minutes, beginning with the Capcom guy, will be multiplatform. But who knows!

I also don't get the criticism about not showing the actual console at this point. Yes it would have been nice to see but what does it matter? It wont be released for 9 months. There will be plenty of opportunity to see it before then I am sure. A month ago most people weren't even expecting any new console announcements until E3 so the fact they even released information now is a good thing.. So that makes Major Nelson a bit of a douche with his Tweet "Announce a console without actually showing a console? That's one approach".
Last edited by Aslanna on February 21, 2013, 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Most of the talking heads associated in any way with the Xbox are douchebags. I would most likely kick Cliffy B in the dick and walk away like it didn't happen if I ever encountered him. Such a douche.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

More thoughts...
Through PS4, users are able to deepen their connections through co-op play or “cross-game chat”.
Happy?!
PS4 is centered around a powerful custom chip that contains eight x86-64 cores and a state of the art graphics processor.
8 cores! Both the CPU and the GPU are AMD. omg I imagine the drivers will be terrible!
A new application from SCE called “PlayStation®App” will enable iPhone, iPad, and Android based smartphones and tablets to become second screens. Once installed on these devices, users can, for example, see maps on their second screens when playing an adventure game, purchase PS4 games while away from home and download it directly to the console at home, or remotely watch other gamers playing on their devices.
Handy I guess for people who have tablets and such. Funny they're not releasing one for Windows Phone though.
PS4 radically reduces the lag time between players and their content. PS4 features “suspend mode” which keeps the system in a low power state while preserving the game session. The time it takes today to boot a console and load a saved game will be a thing of the past. With PS4, gamers just hit the power button again and are promptly back playing the game at the exact point where they left off. Additionally, users can boot a variety of applications including a web browser when playing a game on PS4.
This is a nice feature and is pretty much what they did on the Vita.
The long-term goal of PS4 is to reduce download times of digital titles to zero: if the system knows enough about a player to predict the next game they will purchase, then that game can be loaded and ready to go before they even click the “buy” button.
I don't like that feature and all and I really hope it can be disabled.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

It was a good presentation but I'm left with a lot of questions.

No BC is just awful. So, GTAV comes out in a couple months and you won't be able to play it on your PS4 on Christmas? Lame as fuck, no question. Streaming older PS games but you will probably have to repurchase them? Lame. All the Vita connectivity is nice in theory, but even they were talking like it is something they intend to do someday, not like it's coming straight out of the box with those abilities. It was also weird hearing them mention phoes and tablets over and over without mentioning an iDevice of any kind. That's the 800 lb gorilla in the room for certain. Has Sony learned to open it's ecosystem up or are they keeping that garden walled?

I thought the best thing about the conference was Watch Dogs and that is cross platform (including the WiiU and PC). The tech demos were kind of cool, but I was much happier with game talk and reveals. Killzone looks like they're leaning even harder on the CoD formula, but the graphics were nice (not spectacular, but the draw distance was insane). The cutesy little robot game looked ok, but the graphic IQ was not a huge leap at all. The on screen count of manipulated objects was really nice, so it seems they are using the power in different ways for that game. I know it was beta footage, so there is time for improvement before release.

Blizzard coming out was a huge surprise for me but when the announcement was just D3 I was let down. A day ;late and a dollar short on that one. They should have announced that last year to bring the house down. Now it's just a 2yr old PC game coming to consoles. Who cares? I bet it will be cross platform as well. I'll try it at PAX next month.

The PS4 itself really exceeded my expectations. 8GB of DDR5? MS ain't going to touch that. That's a huge deal.

I still see a PSN paywall, always online, and anti-used games creeping into the conversation down the road. None of this stuff was addressed.

I'd give it an 8/10. Sony actually started on time, didn't waste 15 minutes telling us how awesome they are, and seemed to have learned from past mistakes. The hubris was gone. It was like: montage, system announcement and specs, games and tech demos sprinkled with developers all showing support for the system. Done. Good job staying on track and not getting distracted with Facebook, Twitter, and Myspace crap. It was all about the games and I appreciate that. A lot of people seem excited about the game video sharing and stuff but I can't say I really give 2 shits about that.

I'll be buying both systems and getting cross platform games on whichever system has the best version, just like this gen. I'll likely buy all first party games the WiiU offers. Basically this is PS360Wii all over again.

The next generation of systems should all play well together and fill niches in every genre and game experience imaginable. I'll be happy to own all 8th generation consoles again (WiiU/Nextbox/PS4). I'm excited but I need more games to be announced! In the meantime, I should probably get cracking on that backlog!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:I think maybe the biggest part for me though, is the crowd each draws. One thing the PS3 has had going for it in every multiplayer game I've played on it, is that the people are much more mature.
I wouldn't put much stock into that. Xbox has more FPS which draws more dicks. It will even out or you'll be short FPS games...or just don't play FPS.

I'll be getting both consoles no matter what. Wii is the only suck ass system I would never get. I think you're jumping the gun by saying you'd be getting the PS4 right now or leaning that hard toward it. As for release dates, I bet they're within a month of each other. If you're going to base your next ten years of gaming on a +/- a month then I can't really help. NEITHER console has announced anything about playability of used games so that should be a non factor for both atm.

PS4 info today was on the whole, pretty disappointing. They still need to show the console and I'm sure more games will be at E3 but their EYE/MOVE doesn't do it for me. Kinect isn't exactly my cup of tea either but the 2nd gen of that looks to be more impressive, as does the room immersion from xbox if that tech demo becomes reality...it almost looked like in the Sony press conference they were making a case for Microsoft's tech by filling all the walls with vid's and effects, expanding the screen.

So far, PS4's game offerings are extremely disappointing...most will be available on the PS3, and the most impressive, Watchdogs, will be avail on 360 and Wii as well. There were ZERO exclusive "wow" games...and Square Enix will probably be 6-12 months after the console arrives to release their first game (their lame tech demo shown was released six months ago...and those have been disappointing anyway. In general, I don't think either console will have much "exclusive" advantage, especially with the architecture of the systems being friendly to PC/PS4/Xbox720 now for easy ports with less variance.

Again, for me, the Streaming is one thing that may be in Sony's favor if Microsoft hasn't developed their own version of it...I have to imagine they have or they would have bought Onlive. My connection kicks ass now so streaming would be something I'd like...on the flip side, I can download shit super fast so that new thing about being able to play a partially downloaded game isn't a big deal.

Sony hasn't proven they can handle social chat, etc. Their streaming friend games and allowing a friend to play your game to help out sounds cool...also sounds like a premium service to me...lets wait and see what Microsoft has planned since they completely dominated Sony on the network side of things...nothing was announced about the Sony Online Store/network yet...and Microsoft has proven they know how to handle friends/networks/multiplayer while you'd be gambling with HackaSony.

The only reason to jump on a PS4 immediately is in case they start to immediately remove features like they did before.

Decision time will be after E3.

It sure doesn't look comfortable. Will have to actually try it out.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:It was also weird hearing them mention phoes and tablets over and over without mentioning an iDevice of any kind. That's the 800 lb gorilla in the room for certain. Has Sony learned to open it's ecosystem up or are they keeping that garden walled?
A new application from SCE called “PlayStation®App” will enable iPhone, iPad, and Android based smartphones and tablets to become second screens.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yeah, they're learning. It's a good sign.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah Xbox has more FPS, but that's mostly what I played on the PS3 (multiplayer anyhow) too, and a quotient is what it is. After the last week of Halo me and my buddies are taking a break, maybe permanently for me, and it's mostly due to the people that play on Xbox. We played Killzone 3 forever and never ran into that bullshit. Killzone alone is a huge draw for me, it's probably my favorite FPS game.

The video share thing is pretty cool, and I would use that quite often. Two of the guys I play Halo with use screen capture crap and upload some of our best games to youtube, so this would take all that extra bullshit out and just let us do it on the fly, which is fucking awesome.

I'd really like backwards compatibility, but the weight falls heavier on Microsoft's shoulders there for me personally, as I have ~125 games for the 360, many of which I haven't finished, and like 30 games for the PS3, most of which I have finished. And honestly as much as I'd like it, I really don't see it happening for either console (I'm guessing the PS4 streaming stuff will require you to buy the game again).

Again, I'm holding my final decision for more details on both, but my growing disdain for the Xbox player base mixed with Sony looking like they'll at least be on par with the Xbox online wise has me leaning Sony's way at this point.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I really think it would be awesome if they developed that app for Windows phones and Surface. But yeah. That probably wont happen!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:I really think it would be awesome if they developed that app for Windows phones and Surface. But yeah. That probably wont happen!
Microsoft is Sony's direct competitor in consoles. Apple and Android not so much. Sony has no exclusive tablet OS that Microsoft can deny their glass app to....I guess maybe Vita!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yes, I do believe they are competitors(?). Which is what would make it that much more awesome. It would be like a middle finger to Microsoft by allowing people to use their Windows devices to interact with their SONY console.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Fairweather Pure wrote:I still see a PSN paywall, always online, and anti-used games creeping into the conversation down the road. None of this stuff was addressed.
No word on paywall yet, but the PS4 will play used games and the system does not have to be online in order to play games. Nothing on region free games yet either.

The ball is in Microsoft's hands now. I sure hope the talk of always online, no used games, and Kinect 2.0 requirement are false.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Fairweather Pure wrote:I still see a PSN paywall, always online, and anti-used games creeping into the conversation down the road. None of this stuff was addressed.
No word on paywall yet, but the PS4 will play used games and the system does not have to be online in order to play games. Nothing on region free games yet either.

The ball is in Microsoft's hands now. I sure hope the talk of always online, no used games, and Kinect 2.0 requirement are false.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Yes, I do believe they are competitors(?). Which is what would make it that much more awesome. It would be like a middle finger to Microsoft by allowing people to use their Windows devices to interact with their SONY console.
Yeah, but Microsoft did it first with Smart Glass, allowing Android and iOS devices to be used. So, they'd just be copying Microsoft again like they seem to be doing a lot this coming generation of consoles.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yeah because MS never copies anyone. Also define "a lot". What else is Sony copying from Microsoft? And not only that but "again". You're using a bunch of words there without anything backing them up!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Yeah because MS never copies anyone. Also define "a lot". What else is Sony copying from Microsoft? And not only that but "again". You're using a bunch of words there without anything backing them up!

That "EYE" sure looks a lot like a kinect! Actual "almost" triggers!.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

MS controllers were the first to have "triggers"? I don't care enough to actually research that. Also the 4 face buttons MS stole from the SNES controller. And the dpad which looks an awful lot like the one on the Genesis controller. /gasp! Although in the case of the d-pad to bad they didn't do a better job at copying so they could create something functional.

As far as Kinect goes.. That's basically taking the Eye Toy (2003) and Playstation Eye (2007) and expanding on it so... Not exactly earth shattering innovation on the part of Microsoft.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Move is stupid. Sony would use Kinect in a heartbeat if they had a crystal ball and could have looked into the future.

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Who fucking cares about Move and Kinect, besides you and the retirement community crowd?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sony: PSN purchases don't carry over to PS4

by Sinan Kubba Writer RSS on Feb 21st 2013 9:52AM

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida just told our friends at Engadget current-gen PSN purchases won't transfer across to the PS4.

In last night's PS4 announcement, Sony revealed the new console won't have backwards compatibility for PS1, PS2, or PS3 discs, although the company aims to use the PS Cloud service to stream previous-gen games as a workaround.
Hmmm, that's a shame!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

No BC means no BC. I'm shocked anyone would need further verification.

I really hope MS offers the ability.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

"gamers can charge DUALSHOCK®4 while PS4 is on standby."
omg, it's a freaking miracle. genius!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

The PS4 triggers look superior to the 360 ones. The elevated fulcrum looks like it will lend to good control.

The material used on the back side looks good, too. I imagine it's less slippery during heavy use.