The Official PS4 thread!

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: The Official PS4 thread!

Post by Fairweather Pure »

The new CoD will once again be 1080p on PS4 and 900p on the Xbone.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

So I finally got around to contacting Sony service about getting an RMA on my defective DS4s. SOME early ones had issues with the rubber coating tearing which they had fixed.
Karla: Hello, My name is Karla how may I assist you today?

You: Hi! I have warranty questions in regards to 2 DualShock 4 controllers I have where the rubber coating on the analog sticks has torn off

Karla: I´ll be happy to help you! Let me gather some information first to assist you better.

Karla: In this case I can go ahead and submit the service request for your controllers. Let me tell you that warranty only covers the repair itself and also the shipping from our end to you, the shipping from your end to us will be on you, also we need the receipt for both controllers in order to get the replacements.

You: I only have the receipt for one of them. As they haven't even been out a year (and the controllers have a year warranty) is that really required?

Karla: In this case I am afraid that is a service requirement, without the receipt the controllers might be not serviced.

You: I could see to verify when purchased to see if they fall within the warranty period but these obviously do.

You: "might not be serviced". What's the worst case scenario they just send one of them back unfixed? I guess I will just send them both and see what happens. So I would like to go ahead and have a service request submitted please

Karla: Alright, in order to proceed, may I have the home address to ship the controllers back to you?
As I stated in there the console, and thus the controllers, haven't been out a year yet. So any device with issues should be fixed under warranty without requiring a receipt! And what if you got some as a gift? Hosed! I'm sure other companies (even MS) have similar policies but that doesn't make it less dumb. I'll report back on if they actually fix both!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Aslanna wrote:As I stated in there the console, and thus the controllers, haven't been out a year yet. So any device with issues should be fixed under warranty without requiring a receipt! And what if you got some as a gift? Hosed! I'm sure other companies (even MS) have similar policies but that doesn't make it less dumb. I'll report back on if they actually fix both!
This particular policy always struck me as consumer hostile. As for Microsoft, I've been through an Xbox 360 replacement with them at the 2 year mark with my original (Wasn't an RROD) and they replaced it without requiring a receipt.

I recently had them replace the stylus on my Surface Pro 1(the side button was coming apart) and they also replaced that without a receipt again although I had registered the Serial Number online when I got them.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Unfortunately the issue with the rubber tearing on the thumb sticks is a pretty common problem/defect:

http://kotaku.com/one-cheapo-accessory- ... 1651911503

The Kotoku article is suggesting thumb thingies to put on top of the thumbsticks.

Overall the PS4 controller is an improvement over the PS3 version but the placement and crappy material on the thumbsticks would still make it hard to choose over the more ergonomically designed Xbox One controller. As for Xbox One, I have no idea why they made the bumper buttons out of hard cheap plastic and made them noisy. Not sure who decided cheap feeling/sounding bumpers were a good idea when the rest of the controller is rock solid.

Thumbsticks really take a beating in games. Of all the things on a controller, those need to be the most durable.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

I have one of the thumbsticks so worn that it slips when I play. The other has a tear. I did not even think to check for warranty. Are they covering them? I used my Amex at Costco, so may be able to get a receipt.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Tyek wrote:I have one of the thumbsticks so worn that it slips when I play. The other has a tear. I did not even think to check for warranty. Are they covering them? I used my Amex at Costco, so may be able to get a receipt.
Yes they are covering them. The controllers come with a one year warranty and it's a known defect with early controllers. They changed the material somewhere in the process so it shouldn't be a problem now. I've only just started using new DS4s so only time will tell how they hold up. I would contact Sony and get a service request (whatever they call it) entered. I used the Live Chat option at https://support.us.playstation.com/app/contact_options

My only concern is how much of a stickler they are for a receipt. I did purchase two more DS4s a few months ago which I might have that receipt. Or can get since it was mail order. I guess in theory I could just use that receipt if there's no serial numbers or anything shown.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

PS4 exclusive Bloodborne has been delayed from February 5 to late March—specifically, March 24 for North America, 25th for Europe, 26th for Japan, and 27th for the UK and Ireland.
Chances of PS4 exclusives ever being released on time: Zero? (And crappy results after released (Drive))

Maybe next gen this will actually matter when Sony promises the world but people will remember that what it delivered was delays. (and poorer performing mega AAA third party games like CoD)

And cheap rubber on their controllers!

Why is the Thanksgiving Holiday Sub Forum closed!?!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Isn't that the point of alpha or beta? To identify issues and fix them rather than sticking with a hard release date bugs be damned?

Oh who am I kidding.. Of course it isn't. Although it sounds like someone is butthurt over the PS4 kicking the crappy XBO's ass.
While development continues unabated, we would like our team to deliver the best possible final experience. We were gratified by the feedback and data we received from those who participated in our limited Alpha test. The extra production time will also allow us to better integrate these learnings.
Plus of course The Order is already releasing in February. Why release two first-party exclusives in the same month. That seems like a poor business decision.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Plus of course The Order is already releasing in February. Why release two first-party exclusives in the same month. That seems like a poor business decision.
Make sense, other delayed PS4 exclusives delaying more PS4 exclusives.

Microsoft isn't scared of release dates. They are releasing the HALO Anniversary edition the same day Dragon Age comes out.

We need VVs again Py!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sony's Original Vita Ads Were Misleading, Says U.S. Government

No surprise here. Sony is great at misleading advertising and showing "day one" games that come out a year later still flawed. Nice to see Sony finally being held accountable for some of the BS they pull.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

/yawn

Luckily nobody bought Vita's so.. Sony is out nothing!

Speaking of flawed games.. How's that Master Chief Collection coming? lolz

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

That lawsuit and anyone that actually thinks they should get anything due to this is a huge joke.

I have a Vita (bought it well after that date). It's well worth the money.

Troll on.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Doesn't matter if you like your Vita, you can't spout lies about a product to sell it.Sure makes the product look good when you can include non existent games and features!

I know Sony is desperate because after their latest announcement, pretty much only have the Playstation as a going concern.
Sony may know how to build great gadgets, but convincing people to part with money in exchange for them has turned out to be nearly impossible. In the outfit's most recent financial results, its faltering mobile division was single-handedly responsible for wiping out the blockbuster profits earned by the PlayStation 4. At a recent investor conference, however, executive Hiroki Totoki told the audience that the company has a new three-year plan designed to staunch these losses. In fact, the plan can be summed up pretty simply as "make a lot fewer TVs and smartphones."

According to Reuters, the plan is a response to more lowered forecasts predicting that Sony Mobile will make a loss of around $1.7 billion by next March. The (new) new strategy will see the company abandon plans to compete with rivals in the market share stakes and concentrate on a smaller clutch of devices that turn a profit even if sales were to stop by 30 percent.

It's not the first outfit to make that decision recently, since Samsung has pledged that it'll reduce the number of smartphone models that it makes to shore up its faltering mobile division. The same report is also claiming that Sony is planning a grander re-organization of its phone arm, although those details won't be revealed until early 2015. As part of the plan, Sony will end its sponsorship deal with FIFA, which will apparently save around $280 million.

In addition to cutting costs, Sony is hoping to earn more money by pumping its gaming division for profits. In addition to selling the PlayStation 4, the company is working on PlayStation Vue, the company's new Netflix-like TV service. Although we'd imagine that the company would need to work on its internal security before everyone starts handing over their credit card details.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

... and on and on.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Doesn't matter if you like your Vita, you can't spout lies about a product to sell it.Sure makes the product look good when you can include non existent games and features!

I know Sony is desperate because after their latest announcement, pretty much only have the Playstation as a going concern.
Sony may know how to build great gadgets, but convincing people to part with money in exchange for them has turned out to be nearly impossible.
Except when it comes to exchanging money for a PS4... MS might want to take some lessons since they've resorted to desperation tactics just to get people to acknowledge the XBO exists.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Playstation Experience seemed pretty uneventful. I didn't see much in the news, just a few cheesy Indie games announced. I guess Sony has their hands full dealing with the nasty hack Sony Pictures division got hit by. Microsoft has been on a sales roll and has had some decent exclusives recently. Nothing to see here to stop their momentum.

Of note:

wait...what?

I was never a fan of customized 360 Faceplates but his looks much worse. Who the fuck would want to slap on something that covers about 1/3 of their case? Looks retarded. Using one of those would make the PS4 officially as ugly as the Xbox One.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/06/proj ... -ps4-beta/
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Microsoft has been on a sales roll and has had some decent exclusives recently.
What exclusives have they had recently? Sunset Overdrive sure.. Master Chief Collection? A HD remake where the online still isn't working properly? Other than that I can't think of much. And what do they have coming next? You may dismiss indies but they play an important role in filling in the gaps when it comes to exclusives and a lot of people enjoy them. As well as the multi-platform games that of course are a superior experience on PS4!
Winnow wrote:Nothing to see here to stop their momentum.
Other than the "price drop" ending in January.

Funny that to finally beat the PS4 in (US) sales Microsoft had to drop the Kinect, cut the new price by $50 and bundle in two games along with a year of Live Gold whereas it's just been business as usual for the PS4.

Having said that I don't think Sony tried very hard when it came to Black Friday deals. But I guess deep pockets is the one advantage Microsoft has. $50 drop on a million consoles is $50 million. MS has that (and more) to spare Sony doesn't.

As far as Playstation news goes... Summary of items:

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End First Gameplay

MLB 15 The Show Out 3/31 for PS4, PS3, and PS Vita
Destiny Expansion I: PS-Exclusive Mars Strike – The Undying Mind
Tripwire Interactive bringing Killing Floor 2 to PS4
The Forest: Open-World Survival Horror Comes to PlayStation
Madness Awaits You…In the Darkest Dungeon
Bastion Coming to PS4, Vita Next Year
Orcs Must Die! is Invading PlayStation for the First Time!
Skytorn Coming to PS4
Severed Coming to Vita in Spring 2015
Shovel Knight Digs into PS4, PS3, PS Vita in 2015
Suikoden II Coming to PSN
Street Fighter V: Console Exclusive to PS4
Super Time Force Ultra Headed to PS4,Vita
Grim Fandango on PS4 & PS Vita
Fat Princess Adventures announced for PS4
Wattam, the new PS4 game from Katamari Damacy creator Keita Takahashi
Enter the Gungeon Coming to PS4 in 2015
What Remains of Edith Fitch, a New PS4 Exclusive
Tearaway Unfolded: New Trailer Revealed
Yakuza 5 Announced at PlayStation Experience
New No Man’s Sky Videos Revealed
Drawn to Death, a Hand-Drawn Arena Shooter, Coming to PS4

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Master Chief Collection is probably the biggest missed opportunity/failure possible. Most people have moved on and forgot about it already without even being able to play it.

This is going to negatively impact sales (definitely pre orders) for Halo 5, too. Was the exact opposite of what Microsoft needed right now
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

My take is that MS has adjusted extremely quickly to the backlash that has plagued them since the Xbone's announcement. They really responded well and switched gears on the fly. I'm amazed they have done so well actually. By cutting out the useless Kinect and taking it on the chin for a price drop, they're finally gaining a bit of ground on the PS4 in the US. It's a great start for MS. Honestly though, I suspect that many of the Xbones selling now are PS4 owners getting a second box, but sales are sales. The system pricing is easily what is working best for MS. Their exclusives have been pretty good too, but goddamn the Master Chief Collection is going to go down in video game history as one of the worst ever. For such an extremely high profile game and launch, it was inexcusable and embarrassing. I am baffled how that game got past certification.

This is as good a place as any to also acknowledge that the WiiU continues punching significantly above its weight,winning award after award and Nintendo being Developer of the year. An award they fully deserve. They're doing everything right and I'm amazed they have rode out the bad times with the WiiU and have risen to new heights. The future for the console is looking very, very good. So many great games on the horizon!

PS4 is still crushing it on all accounts. The PS Experience was pretty cool, with lots to look forward to.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:Microsoft has been on a sales roll and has had some decent exclusives recently.
What exclusives have they had recently? Sunset Overdrive sure.. Master Chief Collection? A HD remake where the online still isn't working properly? Other than that I can't think of much. And what do they have coming next? You may dismiss indies but they play an important role in filling in the gaps when it comes to exclusives and a lot of people enjoy them. As well as the multi-platform games that of course are a superior experience on PS4!
Forza Horizons 2 as well (a fun open racing game that actually works and wasn't delayed a year with continuing issues like Drive for PS4) Xbox One triggers are WAY better for racing games.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Don't mind Winnow he's just trolling with his usual negative self. Which seems odd considering he owns both consoles. Not sure why he can't just accept PS4 is the better console and move on already. It isn't like the XBO isn't selling decently well but to justify his fanboyism apparently it has to sell more than the PS4. Which will never happen except maybe in the US. If it's apparently all about the exclusives then he should go out and buy a WiiU because Nintendo is basically crushing Sony and Microsoft at the moment when it comes to exclusives. However releasing a year earlier has something to do with that.

As far as the PlayStation Experience event goes... It being in December is a bit odd but I think it's a good choice as it's basically the midway point before the previous/next E3. Expect Microsoft to do something similar within a year. Two years at most. They're not very good at coming up with ideas themselves they usually just steal (or buy) them from everyone else.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Nintendo's year lead was a wash IMO. They didn't release enough games to justify a console purchase. Now they're finally hitting their stride, but it took them too long. I hope they learned a lesson or two from that.
Last edited by Fairweather Pure on December 7, 2014, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

My point was two years later and now the WiiU is starting to get a bunch of exclusives. Give the PS4 and XBO another year and you'll start seeing the same thing there as well.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

PS4's little bump in performance is all it has going for it besides Sony's marketing skills. They should be really really happy they have that little performance advantage as they haven't done anything else to distinguish themselves.

It's unfortunate that neither company waited until they could produce 1080p/60fps games with no compromise. That should have been the minimum standard for this generation. The bulk of my gaming is back on the PC again. Sometime in the next year I'll invest in a new PC that will be capable of handling VR entertainment as well as play games twice as powerful as what you can play on PS4/Xbox One and probably better than the next generation of consoles whenever they come out (if not, a GPU upgrade will probably do the trick). Sony and Microsoft will once again be looking for the cheapest solution possible which will be borderline weak like the current gen is going forward.

Once VR is perfected (in a couple years), that's where people will want to be. In the meantime, the performance difference between PS4 and Xbox One is insignificant and what type of game it is what will determine where I play it. I don't know why anyone would pick a Dualshock controller over Xbox One for trigger/driving games and that also goes for fast paced FPS games due to the retarded design choice of Sony to keep the poor joystick placement. For less intensive RPG type games, the PS4 is OK and might deserve the purchase due to performance. The company that makes billions/quarter on royalties alone can afford to pay for exclusives that the near bankrupt company that's continuously hacked and selling buildings to stay afloat can't.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

8 years later and still complaining about the controller. Yet that doesn't seem to stop millions of people from buying a PlayStation. Perhaps you should pick a new battle to fight because this one is looking pretty pathetic.

Other than that just another rambling post from you that basically says nothing.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sony lovers seem to blow of these hacks that the company keeps getting his with but that's foolish.
A hacker group has claimed responsibility for attacking Sony's online PlayStation store, which is down on Monday.

Visitors to the site are greeted with a message that says "Page Not Found! It's not you. It's the internet's fault".

A group called "Lizard Squad" has taken credit for the outage, posting "PSN Login #offline #LizardSquad" as their Twitter status.

The outage is the most recent in a series of attacks on tech giant Sony.

The Japanese firm's Hollywood film studios' corporate network was hacked into last month, followed by an online leak of unreleased movies, along with confidential information such as actors' salaries.
It's not like you can say. "oh all companies get hit with this"...um not with what's been called the biggest breech in American Corporate history, not including the massive hack on PN three years ago.
The iCloud hack that released of images of nude celebrities may have been an embarrassing violation of privacy, but the recent cyberattack launched against Sony and the tens of thousands of Social Security numbers it has released opens high-profile individuals and staffers alike to devastating attacks on their persons.

After wrapping up a probe into the attack launched against Sony Pictures, security solutions provider Identity Finder found that 47,426 unique Social Security numbers were made public as a result of the subsequent 27-GB leak of classified Sony documents. That figure includes 15,232 Social Security numbers belonging to current and past Sony employees, while an unspecified amount was associated with celebrities and freelancers.

There are 600 files containing Social Security numbers and 3,253 of the sensitive markers appeared more than 100 times. The 47,426 Social Security numbers appeared over 1.1 million times in the leaked documents, which gives hackers many more "opportunities to wreak havoc," according to said Todd Feinman, president and CEO of Identity Finder.

"As we have seen from the myriad data breaches this year, every organization is vulnerable to an attack," says Feinman. "Security technologies are an important shield, but minimizing the target and reducing the footprint of sensitive data is more critical than ever."

The majority of the leaked Social Security numbers were accompanied by full names, home addresses and dates of birth, according to Identity Finder's report.

If having all of that personal information exposed wasn't uncomfortable enough for the affected parties, individuals claiming to be members of Guardians of Peace (GOP) -- the group that claimed responsibility for the attacks -- stated that they aren't even close to letting up in their war on Sony. On Dec. 5, the individuals sent out threatening emails to Sony's employees.

In the email, the individuals state that no one can stop them and that the only way to defuse the situation is to comply with their demands. They advise the email recipients to make Sony "behave wisely."

"Many things beyond imagination will happen at many places of the world (sic)," stated the email. "Our agents find themselves act in necessary places. Please sign your name to object the false of the company at the email address below if you don't want to suffer damage. If you don't, not only you but your family will be in danger."

A Sony spokesperson said the company is aware of the latest email threat and is working with law enforcement to mitigate the problem
It's all fun and games until your personal information gets out there. Oh sure, "but that was Sony pictures". Same company that allowed their PN to go down for a month+. This company just had Socials for their employees released along with their addresses. They can't handle security for their own employees much less their customers.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Sony Computer Entertainment will bring the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita to China Jan. 11, the company announced today.

The PS4 will retail for 2,899 renminbi ($468.63) and be available in black and white models. The PS Vita will sell for 1,299 renminbi ($209.99) in black and white versions, too.

According to SCEI, more than 70 third-party developers and publishers will deliver games for the system, including Chinese game developers. Well-known Western developers include Bethesda Softworks, CD Projekt Red, Disney Interactive, Take-Two, Ubisoft and Warner Bros.

"PS4 is expanding at the fastest rate in PlayStation hardware history, and the global gaming community is enjoying the ultimate entertainment experience only available on PlayStation," said Sony Computer Entertainment president and CEO Andrew House. "We are delighted that we are able to fully launch our business in China, which is a market with great potential. We look forward to delivering exciting software, convenient services and entertainment experiences only possible on PlayStation to the many gamers in China."
PS4 is set to dominate China next! I wonder how the XBO is doing. Other than selling like 100k in the first week we haven't heard a peep from MS about it. That market still seems like an unknown when it comes to consoles. Is everyone all about the the mobile gaming over there like in Japan?
However, based on the market’s response, the main reason the Xbox one has received a chilly reception is that ordinary Chinese gamers are not used to paying for games, and most hardcore gamers bought through the gray market earlier.
Chilly!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/12/11/sony- ... _truncated
Sony 'embarrassed' by Driveclub's launch, UK boss says

Driveclub's launch has been rocky, pockmarked with severe server issues, a stream of patches and the delay of the game's free PS Plus version. With all of this in mind, Sony UK Managing Director Fergal Gara told IGN that he and the Driveclub team are "embarrassed" by the game's performance so far.
They should be embarrassed!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

So should 343 and Microsoft... And Ubisoft. Your point? I don't think anyone is defending them. There's been a bunch of games released broken lately. I hope that trend isn't one that continues.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

'The Interview' release halted after theaters balk

The decision follows a warning from hackers that people should avoid going to theaters to see the film, which is about an attempt to kill North Korea's leader.
I've never seen a company so fucked up when it comes to security. This is pretty amazing. Terrorists win! Sony is going to be screwed for years because of this massive leak of pretty much everything Sony Pictures had for both employees and products. Class action suits have already filed by several employees. Loss of revenue due to cancelled or compromised pictures and further loss of revenue due to lawsuits should make life suck for Sony for awhile.

I wish North Korea hated the Dual Shock joystick placement as much as I do.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I can see how relevant that is to the PS4.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:I can see how relevant that is to the PS4.
For security it is relevant. Sony as a whole has unprecedented horrible security when it comes to both their own employees and customer data. As a customer, I'm not to sure I want my credit card on file with them anymore. If I was a potential employee or "talent", I'm not sure I'd want to give them my info to be in a movie, or voice a game, etc as they have been total fuck ups and can't be trusted to keep your social security or personal emails, etc out of the public eye. They didn't just lose a little data, everything on their network was stolen, and to add to the crap, they didn't protect their password databases. Some of those may very well cross over to other divisions like Playstation.

They had a great chance at screwing up Chistmas day revenues for all movie producers and movie chains if they went ahead with releasing The Interview. 100 Million loss for the movie for a company is bad shape already is just to kick things off. Confidence in the company is low. They should sell the rights for X-Men and Spider-man back to Marvel/Disney to make a little cash to keep afloat.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Hopefully this forces Sony to hand the Spiderman franchise back over to Marvel with a bow on it. Silver lining!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I still don't think this is the thread for it but whatever. I personally don't have a problem with having my CC on file with Sony. If you use your credit card anywhere changes are probably 75% that the company will be hacked and your information compromised. Don't use a debit card and you really have nothing to worry about.
Sony Entertainment CEO Michael Lynton fired back at President Obama today after the president said the company had "made a mistake" by pulling The Interview, saying in an interview with CNN's Fareed Zakaria GPS that "we have not caved."

During his year-end press conference this afternoon, the president acknowledged the "significant damage" dealt to Sony Pictures by a cyber attack on the company in late November — an attack that the FBI said today was carried out by the North Korean government — but said Sony shouldn't have canceled The Interview's release in response.

"I am sympathetic to the concerns that they faced. Having said all of that, yes, I think they made a mistake," said Obama, adding that if Sony had consulted him first, he "would have told them, 'Do not get into a pattern in which you are intimidated by these kind of criminal threats.'"

Asked by Zakaria if he was disappointed at the president's remarks, Lynton replied, "I would be fibbing to say I wasn't disappointed."

Lynton told Zakaria that "the president, the press and the public are mistaken as to what actually happened." He went on to lay out a timeline of events from Sony's point of view. Sony spent the weeks following the attack "trying to keep our business up and running, and get this movie out into the public," said Lynton. But once the hackers issued a threat against theaters that would dare to exhibit The Interview, major U.S. theater chains came to Sony "over the course of a very short period of time" and told the company they would not carry the movie. In response, Sony decided to pull the film.

"We do not own movie theaters. We cannot determine whether or not a movie will be played in movie theaters," said Lynton. "At that point in time, we had no alternative but to not proceed with the theatrical release on the 25th of December."

He continued, "We have not caved, we have not given in; we have persevered, and we have not backed down. We have always had every desire to have the American public see this movie."
Winnow wrote:They had a great chance at screwing up Chistmas day revenues for all movie producers and movie chains if they went ahead with releasing The Interview. 100 Million loss for the movie for a company is bad shape already is just to kick things off. Confidence in the company is low. They should sell the rights for X-Men and Spider-man back to Marvel/Disney to make a little cash to keep afloat.
I'm pretty sure FOX has the rights to X-Men so... FAIL.

And no they shouldn't sell/give them back to Marvel. Serves Marvel right for selling them in the first place!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

A federal judge has ruled that a class action lawsuit concerning the resolution of Killzone: Shadow Fall may proceed once the lead plaintiff files an amended complaint, according to a release from the US District Court. Lead Plaintiff Douglas Ladore's initial complaint, as reported in August by Courthouse News, alleges that Sony's claim of "razor-sharp 1080p native resolution" is false advertising, as Ladore claims Shadow Fall's multiplayer becomes "blurry to the point of distraction."
So glad this is happening. Sony threw out so much bullshit to sell their PS4s. Driving games that were supposed to be at launch that still suck and partially released a year later. Bullshit claims of native 1080p. I realize the company is desperate and their competition makes more money in a quarter than Sony does in 5-10 years but you can't just say anything you want to sell a product. It''s a good thing this is coming back to bite them.

I don't like Sony's smug approach to selling the PS4. The only company that can be smug is Apple because they plain dominate the competition and have products and numbers to back it up. #2 on the smug approval list would be Microsoft because they don't have to sell anything and would still make shitloads of money off royalties paid by their competition. They could give their Xbox One's away and still make money as a company. Sony can't. PS4 is their last gasp at part of their company that might make a profit, especially now that yet another division is fucking up royalty in Sony Entertainment. As an actor or producer, Sony would be my last choice to bring my talent/product. Add that to loss of PC and Electronics. They have to lie to try and stay ahead. You have to wade through tons of articles about 1st party Sony game companies laying off people to find a story about the rare PS4 exclusive that's been delayed again.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You sure say some stupid shit at times. This is one of those times.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

DVDs of 'The Interview' will be airdropped on North Korea

Sony's once-forbidden The Interview is now seemingly ubiquitous, but there's one place where you can't get it: North Korea, the country that inspired the movie (and allegedly, the hacking campaign) in the first place. If defector and activist Park Sang-hak has his way, though, North Koreans will see that movie whether or not their government approves. Park plans to use balloons to airdrop 100,000 copies of the comedy (both on DVD and USB drives) in the country starting in late January. In theory, North Koreans will have second thoughts about Kim Jong-un's rule once they see him as less than perfect -- and if you've seen the movie, you know how eagerly it knocks Kim off his pedestal.

It's an ambitious plan that's bound to irk the North Korean regime. However, the challenge isn't so much getting the balloons to their targets as it is finding Northerners who can watch The Interview at all. Few in the isolated nation even own computers or DVD players, and those that do are likely to be either afraid of getting caught or pampered government workers who'd rather not rock the boat. Besides, more than a few people would argue that the flick isn't a ringing endorsement for the democratic way of life. All the same, it's fun to think that some Northerners will soon have a relatively easy way to watch a movie their leadership has been railing against for weeks.
Horrible idea. The movie isn't very good (I watched it). I'm not even sure how the North Korean people would take the movie. It might even piss them off. On top of that, it will probably get multiple common fold North Koreans killed that eventually get caught with a copy of the DVD.

I wouldn't want anything (except food) air dropped on me. I wouldn't appreciate religious pamphlets, political propaganda, etc. I'm sure Japan would love being bombarded with pamphlets from North Korea, trashing up the countryside.

If you're going to take the time to air drop 100,000 DVDs, drop a historically accurate "documentary" type video, not a ridiculous comedy movie.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Not even sure why that is in this thread. Totally not PS4 (or PlayStation anything) related! It's not even Sony doing it it would be some guy on his own. It seems like a waste of money really.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Not even sure why that is in this thread. Totally not PS4 (or PlayStation anything) related! It's not even Sony doing it it would be some guy on his own. It seems like a waste of money really.
It wasn't worth making another thread over it but was worth mentioning since I didn't think "The Interview" movie was worth it's own thread in the movie section.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

In b4 Winnow mentions the PSN outage!
Sony is currently investigating PlayStation Network connection issues affecting a number of users this morning, citing "heavy network traffic" as a culprit via its support page.

"We're aware that some players are seeing drops on PSN," the official PlayStation Twitter account confirms. "Engineers are on the case and investigating."

Today's reports follow up on the recent restoration of PSN service after a disruptive DDoS attack on Christmas Eve. A timeframe for a fix is not yet known.
Hopefully it's not a serious one.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Friend and I were having a lot of trouble with party chat last night on XBL, and we were having issues getting into a game lobby together for both Master Chief Collection and the Halo 5 Beta, so MS clearly still has some shit going on too. I hope they both get their shit together soon, cause it's getting old.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Sony Computer Entertainment will bring the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita to China Jan. 11, the company announced today.
"
PS4 is set to dominate China next! I wonder how the XBO is doing. Other than selling like 100k in the first week we haven't heard a peep from MS about it. That market still seems like an unknown when it comes to consoles. Is everyone all about the the mobile gaming over there like in Japan?
However, based on the market’s response, the main reason the Xbox one has received a chilly reception is that ordinary Chinese gamers are not used to paying for games, and most hardcore gamers bought through the gray market earlier.
Chilly!

oops!
Sony delays China launch of PlayStation 4

Company reportedly facing prolonged negotiations with Chinese regulators

Sony has delayed the launch of the PlayStation 4 in China for unspecified reasons. The company confirmed the move Thursday in a statement provided to Reuters, citing only "various factors." The console was supposed to launch for the first time in China on January 11th, and Sony has not announced a new date.

Guess it's not that easy to dominate in China!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Guess it's not that easy to dominate in China!
Yeah. Just ask Microsoft.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

PlayStation Network offline, Sony investigating

Those attempting to log into the PlayStation Network may be met with connection issues. According to the PSN Support page, the network is listed as offline. The cause of the outage is currently unknown.

"We're aware that some of you are having issues connecting to the PSN. Engineers are investigating," the official Ask PlayStation account tweeted. Additional PSN-related services, including the Sony Entertainment Network store, are experiencing problems.
Guess it will be down on a weekly basis.

robust!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Sony has sold more than 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles worldwide, the company announced in a press release today. According to Sony Computer Entertainment, 4.1 million of those sales came during the 2014 holiday shopping season, from Nov. 23, 2014 to Jan. 4, 2015.

On the software side, Sony said 81.8 million PS4 games have been sold since the system's launch in Nov. 2013.

Sony also provided PlayStation Plus membership numbers, announcing that it had 10.9 million subscribers as of Jan. 2.
18.5 million... Keep it up Sony!

With 81.8 million games I guess that makes it a 4.4 attach rate. PS4 owners buying those games up while XBO owners are just watching porn.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Just two weeks after the first arrest related to the cyberattacks that bought down PSN and Xbox Live this past Christmas, authorities in the UK have arrested a teenager allegedly connected to the Lizard Squad group that claimed responsibility.

The suspect was arrested in the town of Southport by members of the UK's South East Regional Organised Crime Unit (SEROCU), who had been co-operating with the FBI to investigate the recent DDOS attacks. Death threats, hacking and swatting pranks were among the crimes that the unnamed man is being investigated for.
Glad to see this bit of news. The more "busts" there are, the better chance some of the kiddies will think twice before being a pain in the ass.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

PS+ for February. Rogue Legacy!
Transistor (PS4)
From the creators of Bastion, Transistor is a sci-fi themed action RPG that invites you to wield an extraordinary weapon of unknown origin as you fight through a stunning futuristic city.

Apotheon (PS4)
The Gods of Olympus have abandoned humanity, leaving you to perish without their benevolence. Take up arms against the Gods, climb Mount Olympus, and take their divine powers for yourself to ensure mankind’s survival!

Yakuza 4 (PS3)
Yakuza 4 lets you explore the city of Tokyo in an unprecedented level of detail, experience every taboo in the underground world through the eyes of 4 revered men. Can you survive the dangers and temptations of the Japanese underworld?

Thief (PS3)
You are Garrett, the Master Thief. Step into the silent shoes of Garrett, a dark and solitary thief with an unrivaled set of skills. The most challenging heists, the most inaccessible loot, the best kept secrets: nothing is out of your reach.

Rogue Legacy (PS Vita|PS4|PS3)
A procedurally generated castle means every run is different. This is a Rogue-lite. Your character dies, but with each passing your lineage grows and becomes stronger. Tons of unique traits make every playthrough special, and with 10 different classes to master, there’s plenty of reason to come back for more (punishment)!

Kick & Fennick (PS Vita)
Soon after waking up in a desolate but colorful world, Kick meets a small flying robot named Fennick. When Fennick saves Kick from a menacing guard robot, they find out Fennick’s battery is broken. Together, they embark on an adventure to the Core Tower to find Fennick a new energy core.
Not a bad month. I would have preferred the PS4 version of Thief but it got bad reviews all around so not sure I'd bother anyway.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hardware manufacturers are starting to push 4K-capable displays to market more readily, along with a premium on their prices. At the same time Netflix is continuing to offer 4K content, suggesting that 4K is set to become a “thing” relatively quickly. However, there is a lack of supporting 4K players/streamers out there, but don’t worry, Netflix says Sony has promised to rectify that with a revised PS4.

Neil Hunt, Netflix’s Chief Product Officer, has stated that Sony had “promised” to include support for 4K video and High Dynamic Range technology in a revised PS4 console. Sony is refusing to comment on such a claim, and Netflix has clarified that it expects Sony and Microsoft to add 4K support to the PS4 and Xbox One respectively when the next hardware iteration is released.

This does make sense. Both consoles have the performance on board to play 4K content, they just didn’t have it as a feature at launch because 4K wasn’t (and still isn’t, really) something people demand. That is changing, though, and it should be a relatively easy addition as part of a hardware revision. And if Sony offers it Microsoft will have to, or vice versa.

So, if 4K content is important to you, or your next TV will be 4K-capable, you may want to hold off on buying a PS4 or Xbox One until the next models hit the market. We’ve already seen images of a PS4 Slim appear, although we don’t know if they are real or not. However, it typically takes Sony at least 3 years to release revised hardware, so you could be waiting until 2017 to buy a 4K PS4. Late 2016 is a possibility, though. Netflix on the other hand believes we could see revised hardware before the end of 2015.
Might not be a bad idea for both Sony and Microsoft to introduce 4K models of their consoles that are capable of playing crappy weak sauce current gen res games or higher res with much better GPUs. That may be too much to ask but some sort of performance boost while allowing the crappy current models to play the games as well would be nice.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Fuck 4k.

There's still quite a few TV stations that only do 720p still and there's no physical media standard that can do storage for 4k effectively either. Internet plans and bandwidth allowances are also not setup to provide 4k video streams with any type of regularity.

I'm also not buying a new TV anytime soon just to satisfy some hardware company's mad pursuit for constant profits.

Right now is good enough. Let's open up this discussion again in 5-6 years.