The Official PS4 thread!

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: The Official PS4 thread!

Post by Aslanna »

Dakanaf wrote:Why would I blame Nintendo for bad writing? "First new console in 7 years" is just plain wrong. Checking your facts is basic journalism.
Is it really new?! It's just an HD Wii isn't it?!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Biggest annoyance so far: Everything related to your profile needs you to be signed into PSN. So even if you just want to check your trophies while offline you're out of luck. Which isn't the case for PS3 and Vita.

--
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

Aslanna wrote:
Dakanaf wrote:Why would I blame Nintendo for bad writing? "First new console in 7 years" is just plain wrong. Checking your facts is basic journalism.
It's a new fucking console. Making that statement fucking wrong. What's so fucking hard to fucking understand?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Dakanaf wrote:
Aslanna wrote:
It's a new fucking console. Making that statement fucking wrong. What's so fucking hard to fucking understand?
Huh. Weird. I thought it was an add on.

Ouya is a new console. That doesn't make it next gen!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/16/5111 ... ter-launch
Reports of bricked PlayStation 4s surface after launch

After its launch on Friday, the PlayStation 4 has come under fire from some gamers who say their units have been dead on arrival. The most troubling reports describe a so-called "blue light of death" syndrome, in which the console's light bar flashes blue but never outputs a video signal or boots up. Reddit's PlayStation hub has collected 91 separate incidents of console failure, but it's unclear how widespread the problem truly is.

Still, many of the reports are hard to dismiss. As of press time, nearly 40 percent of the PS4 reviews on Amazon are one-star reviews complaining of hardware failure. The official PS4 support forums have been overwhelmed by complaints of broken units. Speaking to IGN, a Sony representative said the company believes there are various issues in play, but less than .4% of units are affected. "We are closely monitoring for additional reports, but we think these are isolated incidents and are on track for a great launch."
Not good! A crappy network experience from Sony is expected but I didn't think we'd be seeing so many hardware fails. Sony amazingly had a .4% figure to give out like 2 hours after launch, not giving time for the actual returns and complaints to mount up. Hopefully it's not too many that turn out bad.

I'm going to use my PS4, or at least have it turned on, heavily for the first week to see if any issue arise. If something's going to blow, it will probably happen fairly quick with overheating if there are bad thermal paste applications, poor seating of chips, etc. I'd rather take it back to Best Buy than deal with some lengthy repair process directly with Sony.

While the PS4 controller still can't compare to last gen's 360 controller for comport, besides the poor placement, the joysticks are better this time. They don't feel as flimsy and don't have the stupid rounded tops so are easier to control once you contort your thumbs to where they're located. I've been using the pad extensively as special abilities are executed in Warframe using it. It's in a awkward spot. In fact, not once, not twice, but three times I've already wasted a special ability by hitting the stupid pad with my thumb while trying to pull up the micro sized options button...dumb dumb design. Its super easy to trigger it trying to push that little button which is used more than you think. The triggers still have the bad design where they also are activated easily if you rest the controller on your leg or something to take a drink, etc. 360's triggers have part of the controller frame below the triggers to prevent this. From what I can see, the Xbox One controller still has this nicer design to prevent accidental trigger activation. So yeah, the PS4 controller is better (mostly, pad and options/share button placement is questionable) than the PS3, but is nowhere near ergonomically comparable to the better 360 design. On a positive note, the PS4 controller doesn't feel like is was dunked in baby oil like the PS3/2 so you can grip it a little better with one hand. I do think the built in speaker is a positive, but that is countered by the stupid glowing light that reflects in the TV screen.

Sony's best move was making Warframe available at launch. I played it all day. Xbox One buyers can check it out on the PC F2P.

Reports are than Xbox One takes about 13 seconds to boot up. I just turned on my PS4 from sleep state and it was more like 25 seconds.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

The few exclusives the WiiU has are as good or better than anything available on either next gen console so far. It's next SMB game has better reviews than anything released this gen and it's all in 1080p and 60fps with not a single frame drop. I'm happy as hell with my WiiU.

WiiU is a next gen console by it's definition. However, that definition seems to be evolving for people, like it or not. I don't really care what people call it. It has no effect on how much I enjoy gaming on the WiiU.

Super Mario 3D World looks like it will be one of those games people talk about for decades as a reference point in gaming history. Or not, because not very many people own a WiiU to experience it. I find that rather sad, but hey I'll play it!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote: Super Mario 3D World looks like it will be one of those games people talk about for decades as a reference point in gaming history. Or not, because not very many people own a WiiU to experience it. I find that rather sad, but hey I'll play it!
Because Nintendo should get out of the hardware business and sell their games on Xbox, PC and PS platforms. They'd be more profitable that way after reducing their workforce by about 80%.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Is there a summary on the Playstation Store of what games PN+ is offering? It seems you have to root around to find stuff. When I select PN +, all it does is ask me if I want to extend my subscription.

Am I missing something since I have the 30 day trial only? Do you normally have an aggregated list of shit that it offers? It's a bad way to introduce the service if you can't see what it offers except by chance.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Contrast is a pretty fun game that's free on PN+

I like the art style, setting and concept of shadow walking. I'm stuck in the bar though (find film reel). I got to the second floor and it looks like a ledge you can run across but keep falling off of it. :-x

Ah, nm, you need to go outside of the bar to get to where you need to be!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

My only real frustration at this point is the battlefield install. It's been going since last night and is still only 64% done. If it continues at this rate it will be done around 10pm tonight... I realize issues like this are to be expected, and from what I've read is actually EA at fault (they seemed to have acknowledged this) and not a PSN issue, but that doesn't make me any less disappointed that I can't play.

I'll have to time it next time I bring it out of sleep mode, but 25 seconds seems like a lot longer than it's been taking for me. All the other games I've downloaded have finished and installed really quick.

I haven't tried warframe yet, but will probably play with my cousin later tonight. I have played resogun a bit and that is a lot of fun.

I haven't played assassins creed much yet because I want to get battlefield going and I'm not really clear on whether it will keep installing with a different games disc in, but I'll probably get to that some more tomorrow.

I like how you can look at a friends profile and see a "wall", of all their recent trophies and such.

Overall happy with it, but will be happier one battlefield is working!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Is there a summary on the Playstation Store of what games PN+ is offering? It seems you have to root around to find stuff. When I select PN +, all it does is ask me if I want to extend my subscription.

Am I missing something since I have the 30 day trial only? Do you normally have an aggregated list of shit that it offers? It's a bad way to introduce the service if you can't see what it offers except by chance.
I tried the PSN store on the PS4 and while it's definitely much faster than the PS3 version I still don't like it much although I was only in there long enough to get Resogun. I think overall I'll stick with web version. You can find a list of the free games here so I always just visit that every week after the store update and tag the new things. It doesn't look like they presently have PS4 games in that list but I'm sure they'll start being included eventually.
--

Just turned PS4 back on to test it out. When you enter the store and have Playstation Plus selected on the left side (under Welcome), hit the right arrow button thing on your d-pad (can also use left stick). Can keep doing that to 'scroll' to the right and see what's currently free. If you look on the bottom closely you'll see 4 page indicators. You can also find them listed under the 'Free-to-Play' section I believe.
Winnow wrote:Sony's best move was making Warframe available at launch. I played it all day. Xbox One buyers can check it out on the PC F2P.
Don't worry PS4 users you can still check out Titanfall on the PC.

As far as failure rates it's still way too early to tell actual numbers or to cry that the sky is falling, Chicken Little. What's the industry standard anyway.. Isn't it something like 3%? My PS4 doesn't seem to have any issues and it doesn't seem to get any hotter than my PS3 Slim.

Now that we know your stance on the controller can we move on? Everybody here knows please don't keep making 1000 word paragraphs about it every post. However I think, especially compared to the 360 controller, you'll find you're probably in the minority who thinks the DS4 "can't compare". And no I have no facts to back that up. Call it intuition.

As far as the glowing light goes.. If the screen is totally black then sure you can see it. However I can't think of a single time while in a game I thought "man I wish that glowy controller light reflection wasn't blinding me!". I think you're just looking for things to complain about at that point. What I will say though is I don't particularly care for it for different reasons. I have a white couch and with the lights out it casts a rather bright glow based upon how I am sitting that I could do without. I'm not close to busting out some duct tape at this juncture but the ability to turn it off would have been nice.

Boot time.. Even if your numbers are accurate is 12 seconds (or more!) once a day a deal breaker? How many times do people turn their console on and off? Once they add suspend mode it will be a moot point either way.
--

Since I had to turn it back on to check out the store I timed mine. It was 20 seconds to where I got to select my login. Would have been a bit quicker if it didn't show that stupid health and safety warning. If I had to guess I'd say XBO skips showing that. Because Microsoft doesn't care about your health or safety.
Last edited by Aslanna on November 16, 2013, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

My friend's PS4 bricked. He's furious. I feel bad for him. Not much else to do or say really. Return it to Amazon asap.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:My friend's PS4 bricked. He's furious. I feel bad for him. Not much else to do or say really. Return it to Amazon asap.
Bricked doing what? Let's break it down!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:My friend's PS4 bricked. He's furious. I feel bad for him. Not much else to do or say really. Return it to Amazon asap.
So we have 4 PS4s so far on this forum and 1 is bricked! 25% brick rate!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
So we have 4 PS4s so far on this forum and 1 is bricked! 25% brick rate!
That would be 4 on the forum. 1 a friend of the forum. So technically that's 20%.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

He has a clicking HD and a 3 beep reset. It did that 3 seperate times between last night and today. After the third time, the system locked. The controller pulses white, but the PS4 is not home. He's getting a refund from Amazin since they are out of stock with no current ETA for a replacement.

He researched it and it seems that the units with this issue are coming out of a certain plant in china during a specific manufacturing period. He had me flip mine over to check it's info and I accidentally ejected my BF4 disc and lost all unsaved progress. I was not amused.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Oh no mine was made in China!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

PS4 'Blue Light of Death' Has No Clear Fix Yet

A number of PlayStation 4 owners appear to have non-functional units that all suffer the same problem, a so-called blue light—or blue pulse—of death. We can't tell how many and assume it's a small but noteworthy minority.

The problem is being cited in scathing Amazon reviews, a trickle of Twitter complaints and a stack of videos on YouTube—as well as in more than a dozen e-mails and Tweets received by Kotaku since the console's launch on Friday.

Sony hasn't offered any official comment to Kotaku on the matter, but a representative on the official PS4 support forums did post a lengthy set of step-by-step troubleshooting tips today. That post, on a thread entitled "[INFO] Blinking Blue Light PS4 Issues," doesn't offer any surefire fix.

From what I've heard, those with this issue have found that the best solution still involves sending the unit back—either directly to Sony or to the retailer who sold it to them, if an exchange is available.

The problem that these PS4 users are facing is frustratingly simple. When a PS4 is working and is turned on with a press of the power button, the light that runs along the side of the console should first pulse blue and then switch to white. As it does, the console should send a signal to the TV it is hooked up to. Those who have the "blue light/pulse of death" are instead finding that their PS4 pulses blue, never goes to white and never sends a signal to their TV. I first heard about this problem on Wednesday from a Redditor going by the name Arogon. He'd won his PS4 in a Taco Bell contest and received it prior to launch.

Sony's troubleshooting tips involve holding down the power button for seven seconds, unplugging the console and then powering it back on. The company also recommends checking the seating of the hard drive and ensuring that the firmware of the connected TV is up to date.

While I've heard from numerous people who've had the pulsing blue light problem, I've not heard from any who have been able to fix it through any simple steps.
http://kotaku.com/ps4-blue-light-of-dea ... 1465979487

BLOD!

Doesn't sound good!

Guess we'll have to see if Xbox One gets 40% negative reviews on Amazon the day after it's release.

One thing to note. Sony cheaped out on the headphone/mic piece thing so most people sound like shit on voice. Even worse is I have to mute half the people because their open mics are howling static or random noise.

I have no complaints so far about the console (box not controller). I'm addicted to Warframe. What a pleasant surprise that game is.

If you try it, choose the Mag Warframe. It's Pull ability (AOE pull/damage) combined with crush is great. It the early levels, mostly just double pull to kill all enemies in range. Then upgrade your Pull ability to max, you can then pull farther range radius and do more damage. You can also double pull to kill most mobs that don't die with the initial pull. On a survivor level Mags are awesome. Mass carnage.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Guess we'll have to see if Xbox One gets 40% negative reviews on Amazon the day after it's release.
I'd say the number is more important than the percentage. 450 people out of how many people who bought it? And half of them, although they say they purchased it, don't have 'Amazon Verified Purchase' under their name so.. Taking that with a grain of salt.

I'll wait for hard facts not Amazon troll reviews.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The PS4 sold through, as in actually in customer hands, over 1 million units in the first 24 hours in NA (US+Canada). That shatters every previous console release record. Europe's numbers should be equally insane in the coming weeks. All of this before Christmas!

Here's some perspective:

-The Wii sold through 476k units in NA in it's first month.
-The WiiU's total sales in the US since launch is around 1.39 million to date (3.9 worldwide). It took 10 months to hit 1 million sales in the US despite selling 400k it's first week.
-The PS2 took 3 days to hit 1 million when it was released in Japan first.
-The 360 sold 326k in the whole November month (launched Nov 22nd).

All in all, it's a ludicrously good launch. The Xbone launches next week. Will it produce similar numbers? I say no, but if by some chance it does then this will become a supply chain battle. MS is already sort handed. I don't think they'll be able to restock store shelves as fast as Sony if it comes down to that. It will be interesting to watch unfold. If the PS4 beats the Xbox on it's home turf, that's going to be very telling.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:He has a clicking HD and a 3 beep reset. It did that 3 seperate times between last night and today. After the third time, the system locked. The controller pulses white, but the PS4 is not home. He's getting a refund from Amazin since they are out of stock with no current ETA for a replacement.

He researched it and it seems that the units with this issue are coming out of a certain plant in china during a specific manufacturing period. He had me flip mine over to check it's info and I accidentally ejected my BF4 disc and lost all unsaved progress. I was not amused.

Good news is, it took you longer to write that post than it does to beat the campaign.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:The PS4 sold through, as in actually in customer hands, over 1 million units in the first 24 hours in NA (US+Canada). That shatters every previous console release record. Europe's numbers should be equally insane in the coming weeks. All of this before Christmas!
This is why I'm not too concerned about 450 (maybe 500 now) 1 star reviews on Amazon. Are some people having issues? Obviously. And that sucks. But if it's not a widespread thing people really need to calm the fuck down and stop blowing everything out of proportion. Give it a few months and let's see where we are. If PS4s start failing left and right than yeah that's an obvious disaster.

Having said that, hopefully people who bought one for their kids at Christmas take the time to set it up and make sure it's working in advance. Don't want a blue line on Christmas!
Here's some perspective:

-The Wii sold through 476k units in NA in it's first month.
-The WiiU's total sales in the US since launch is around 1.39 million to date (3.9 worldwide). It took 10 months to hit 1 million sales in the US despite selling 400k it's first week.
-The PS2 took 3 days to hit 1 million when it was released in Japan first.
-The 360 sold 326k in the whole November month (launched Nov 22nd).
Since people like charts!

However, for the PS4 I'm sure most of those were preorders so I'd be curious how sales are over time and whether they can keep any sort of momentum going.

Ha. XBO has sold ZERO. Obvious FAIL!

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Has any console in the past ever had this amount of inventory available? I remember severe shortages for a long time after launch last time.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Amazon should only let verified buyers post product reviews. But at least Winnow is posting here a lot less since he is so busy creating dummy accounts on Amazon's website and flooding it with 1 star reviews with the rest of his fucking retarded friends.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Busy using my PS4.

A sad, pathetic, useless, life leeching person like kyoukan might post negative reviews on Amazon.

Sony can thank the makers of Warframe for my entertainment on their system. At least for the first weekend.
Bricked PS4 reports are very real, no replacements available for months

There are a lot of very unhappy PS4 owners right now, as reports of bricked consoles and no available replacements come in from all over the web.

After months of teasers, garnering a never-ending army of fans eager to stand up for their chosen console, the Sony PlayStation 4 is here. Many sat out for hours, waiting for stores to open, while others sat by the front door waiting for the delivery truck. Users from all over the world fired up their consoles, selected their first next-gen title, and sat in confusion as the console responded by shutting down and never turning back on. PS4′s appear to be bricking left and right, with the worst possible news about the prospect of a replacement unit.

There are currently several issues that appear to be plaguing early PS4 owners. The most common appears to be a blue pulsing light, signaling that the console is failing to boot all the way. Gamers users have found ways to resolve this issue by checking the cables, but most have found their console bricked entirely with no way to resolve this issue. This pulsing light occurs at random times as well. Others found the issue out of the box, where others found the issue after hours of gameplay that was otherwise uninterrupted and flawless. Calling Sony support with this issue will result in some brief technical support attempts followed by instructions to wait for a return box for a replacement unit.

Overheating is a less common issue, but reports confirm that the issue exists. The glowing line on the console glows red, and it can take up to 20 minutes before the console is playable again. There doesn’t appear to be any one thing, like playing a certain game for a specific amount of time, that triggers this event. The seemingly random nature is a little concerning, and if you call Sony with this issue you’ll be offered the ability to exchange the console for a new one.

Finally, there have been reports of HDMI issues for the PlayStation 4 that seem to be mostly resolvable by the user. Some claim to find debris or blockages in the PS4 HDMI port, and clearing this debris resolves most issues. If you find yourself struggling to insert the HDMI cable, it’s best to not force the connector. There have been some reports of faulty HDMI ports, but it is unclear whether or not these issues are related.

Regardless of why any PS4 is experiencing issues, Sony is currently telling customers that new units won’t be available until February. If you purchased your console through retail locations like Best Buy and GameStop, and you purchased one of the added warranties sold by those locations, you stand a better chance of getting a replacement console earlier. Amazon is currently telling customers that replacement consoles could be available in January, which is only slightly better.

As the 1-star Amazon reviews pile up, it’s still unclear how many of these consoles are affected — and it’s highly unlikely that Sony will release those numbers. If you are one of the unlucky ones with a broken console you appear to be stuck for a while.
At least some of the unlucky PS4 brick owners will refund and buy the Xbox One. Odds are they won't get two bricked consoles in a row so even if Xbox One has similar issues, there will still be some converts and those that do get bricked Xbox Ones will stick with Xbox since PS4 is no better. Good job Sony releasing a week earlier than Microsoft.

No issues so far with my PS4 besides the mentioned controller complaints. I've charged my Controller twice so jury is still out on it's batter. Dumb glowing light doesn't take much juice but still bad move to have that needless light. Console light is proving useful so people can see that they have a bricked one though.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

big surprise the only game you have is a free to play download. I guess you'll have to wait until it's hacked to get any actual games.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
Users from all over the world fired up their consoles, selected their first next-gen title, and sat in confusion as the console responded by shutting down and never turning back on. PS4′s appear to be bricking left and right, with the worst possible news about the prospect of a replacement unit.

As the 1-star Amazon reviews pile up, it’s still unclear how many of these consoles are affected — and it’s highly unlikely that Sony will release those numbers.
Totally worthless 'article' (air quotes!) I don't even know why you bothered posting it. Oh wait I have an idea...

"bricking left and right" lol. Give us some context as to what you consider "left and right". "As the 1-star Amazon reviews pile up".. 575 is 'piling up' when half of those are from people without a verified purchase? On a product that has sold over a million? No idea how much stock Amazon had but I'd sure it was a pretty good chunk.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

kyoukan wrote:big surprise the only game you have is a free to play download. I guess you'll have to wait until it's hacked to get any actual games.

Or if an actual exclusive comes along that looks good. You can be sure I'll buy any game available on both platforms for the Xbox One with the better controller, network, etc etc etc.

When do you get your allowance? Get to buy a new game at the end of the month if you do a good job with whatever freaky shit it is you do? I'm surprised you're not getting $$ thrown at you like a cheap whore to keep you out of someone's hair.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

PS4 issues.. Were they SABOTAGE?! Would be messed up if so.

Here's one of the PS4 1 star reviews:
1.0 out of 5 stars WTH!!!, November 17, 2013
By MarkMe2525
This review is from: PlayStation 4: Launch Edition (Video Game)
Just doing my part!!! I just want the xbox one to rated higher than the ps4 :p. Nov. 22nd couldn't get here fast enough
Yep. Amazon ratings sure are indicative of quality!

I guess I will have to go submit a 1 star vote for XBO now to cancel that out.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

That would suck if it's sabotage but you get what you "don't pay for. That's what you get for using forced labor. Perhaps 499.99 and paying for the labor would have been better.

As for Amazon. You can drop that. I wouldn't care if they were 100% positive or negative. It means nothing. Anyone with a working PS4 probably wasn't posting on Amazon or anywhere else the first weekend.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:That would suck if it's sabotage but you get what you "don't pay for. That's what you get for using forced labor. Perhaps 499.99 and paying for the labor would have been better.
Yeah because Sony forced Foxconn to use those workers... Apparently you don't know how outsourcing works.
It's also important to note that Nintendo and Microsoft also outsourced their consoles to Foxconn.
Oh nos! But I'm sure Foxconn treated the XBO workers better than the PS4 workers because.. you know.. Microsoft.
Winnow wrote:As for Amazon. You can drop that. I wouldn't care if they were 100% positive or negative. It means nothing. Anyone with a working PS4 probably wasn't posting on Amazon or anywhere else the first weekend.
You're the one who brought it up like it was a relevant statistic or something. You even included a screenshot! If it meant nothing why did you bother in the first place?

--
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

because he's a trolling fuckwit who derives his sense of self-worth by his favorite video game console?
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Aslanna wrote:
Dakanaf wrote:
Aslanna wrote:
Huh. Weird. I thought it was an add on.
Funny, that's what I thought too. Just throwing some tacky low-res resistive touch game controller in for the gimmick
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Winnow wrote:That would suck if it's sabotage but you get what you "don't pay for. That's what you get for using forced labor. Perhaps 499.99 and paying for the labor would have been better.
Yeah because Sony forced Foxconn to use those workers... Apparently you don't know how outsourcing works.
It's also important to note that Nintendo and Microsoft also outsourced their consoles to Foxconn.
Oh nos! But I'm sure Foxconn treated the XBO workers better than the PS4 workers because.. you know.. Microsoft.
From what I understand, it was specifically interns brought in for the PS4, not the other products. So that would kind of be a factor if that's the case.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Brought in by Foxconn to more than likely meet the terms of the contract. As in produce x number of consoles in y amount of time. Sony (or MS.. Or Apple.. Or Nintendo) has no idea how resources are handled on the back end of that.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Brought in by Foxconn to more than likely meet the terms of the contract. As in produce x number of consoles in y amount of time. Sony (or MS.. Or Apple.. Or Nintendo) has no idea how resources are handled on the back end of that.
So what changes? The interns were brought in specifically because Sony wanted a super cheap console. Who made the terms?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Is that seriously your argument?

The XBO itself is probably the same price as the PS4. You're just paying $100 more for the Kinect. Duh. So I guess that makes XBO a "super cheap console" as well. Do you even think about shit before you post it? It doesn't seem so!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Is that seriously your argument?

The XBO itself is probably the same price as the PS4. You're just paying $100 more for the Kinect. Duh. So I guess that makes XBO a "super cheap console" as well. Do you even think about shit before you post it? It doesn't seem so!
Ah so Microsoft used a weaker GPU and non DDR5 memory even though they were the same price or could it be those parts were more expensive?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Now you're just making no sense. I think I've bested you enough for one day so I'm off to do something productive. I will be back tomorrow though to continue countering your points with actual facts and logic!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Now you're just making no sense. I think I've bested you enough for one day so I'm off to do something productive. I will be back tomorrow though to continue countering your points with actual facts and logic!

Wow you're living in your own little world if you think you bested me. Sony specific forced intern labor combined with super cheap console price for performance parts better than what's in the Xbox One and they already said they're selling it at a loss to begin with.

If that doesn't raise questions then just keep on living the dream.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The battery on the PS4 controller officially blows. Lucky to get 6-8 hours out of it and then you get to enjoy a wired controller experience as PS4's "suspend" mode is a lie and isn't actually implemented which means your controllers aren't charging when the console is in that mode. Kind of important when you have a controller that lasts less than half of a day.

I can't believe they couldn't get basic shit like suspend done before launch, which causes more headaches with the short battery life of the controller.

I'll take 30 hours and removable/rechargeable batteries on the Xbox one.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:The battery on the PS4 controller officially blows. Lucky to get 6-8 hours out of it and then you get to enjoy a wired controller experience as PS4's "suspend" mode is a lie and isn't actually implemented which means your controllers aren't charging when the console is in that mode. Kind of important when you have a controller that lasts less than half of a day.

I can't believe they couldn't get basic shit like suspend done before launch, which causes more headaches with the short battery life of the controller.
My controller charges just fine in suspend. Perhaps your PS4 was made by slave labor. Oh wait all of Foxconn is slave labor. Does your controller emit an AMBER HUE (matches the console) when in standby? If so that means it's charging. If not I don't know what to tell you. I haven't seen it reported anywhere else that it's not working.

You sure do complain a lot! Why so negative all the time?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yep. Powering up from standby takes about 12-14 seconds, not that a couple seconds makes a difference anyhow. I've only had the low battery warning show up once, and that was after playing all day. I bought a second controller for this exact reason, but even if I didn't, I also have a long micro USB cable for this kind of stuff so it really doesn't matter.

It's better than the rechargeable battery packs for the 360, If you don't use those for a couple of months they're shot. Never had that problem with the ps3 and doubt I will with the ps4.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

BTW if anyone does have an issue with their PS4 they might want to check to see if there is a Sony Store nearby. Supposedly they will exchange them no questions asked regardless of where you purchased it. Which seems odd because you'd think they'd be selling those. Maybe they have stock set aside for returns and stuff.

That's just what I read, anyway. But doesn't hurt to try if one is close. Can check for location here.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

EverQuest Next probably coming to PS4.
So far, MMORPG EverQuest Next has been confirmed only for PC, but it appears a PlayStation 4 version may be in the works, according to a tease from Sony Online Entertainment president John Smedley.

"We haven't announced, technically, that we're putting it on PlayStation 4, but it's fair to say that we're a Sony company so, you know, I say that with a smile on my face," Smedley told GamerHub TV (via CVG). "I can't wait to see it on the PS4."
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/everqu ... 0-6416233/

Cool! I really look forward to it if it turns out to be true!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The AC4 1080p patch is live. The graphic bump made an already good looking game really shine. You can still tell it's a cross gen game though. I can't wait until games are dedicated just to the current gen.

Second screen is pretty sweet too. I use my ipad as the map. You can set waypoints and even see enemies on the ipad, all in real time. It's made getting collectables a bit easier. This type of tech really feels "next gen" to me. The sharing of the game information and gameplay across 2 different platforms is pretty exciting and full of potential.

I always get sidetracked in AC games. I'm going to try and stick to the story this time and backtrack for the other stuff if I feel like it after the game is officially finished. So far, it's a great AC game. Either you like these games, or you don't!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Still waiting on Winnow to come back and report controller charging while in Standby mode is a working thing.

I think you're getting Suspend, which isn't yet implemented, and Standby mixed up. Two totally different modes! Also make sure you have the option set in power menu.
Standby Mode

What is Standby Mode?

When the system is in Standby Mode, the screen is turned off and the PS4 consumes very little power. You can set the system to perform actions such as download files, or charge the controller from a USB port. To adjust functions available in Standby Mode, select (Settings) > [Power Save Settings] > [Set Functions Available in Standby Mode].

With the default settings, when your system has not been operated for a certain period of time it will automatically enter standby mode or turn off. To change this setting, select (Settings) > [Power Save Settings] > [Set Time Until PS4 Turns Off] from the function screen, and then select [Media Playback] or [General (Games)].

There are three methods are available for entering Standby Mode:

Touch the power button on the front of the PS4 for at least 1 second, until the system beeps. Hint: If there are no check-marks set in the settings under (Settings) > [Power Save Settings] > [Set Functions Available in Standby Mode], there is no need for Standby Mode and the system turns off completely.
Press and hold the PS button for at least 1 second, and then select [Enter Standby Mode] on the screen that is displayed.
From the Dynamic Menu's Home Screen, press UP on the d-pad to bring up the Function Screen. Then select (Power) from the function screen, and choose [Enter Standby Mode].

When the system enters standby mode, the screen turns off, the power indicator blinks white, and then lights up orange.

To exit standby mode

Touch the power button.
Press the PS button on a controller for which device registration (pairing) is complete.

When the power turns on, the power indicator blinks blue, and then lights up white.
It look implemented to me. Happy to help. Apology accepted!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote: It's better than the rechargeable battery packs for the 360, If you don't use those for a couple of months they're shot. Never had that problem with the ps3 and doubt I will with the ps4.

That's why you buy some eneloop batteries (made by Sanyo which has all of the letters of Sony in it with an extra a added for awesomeness) which hold most of their charge up to 3 years. Been using them ever since I got the 360. They rock. No wires and you swap them out every few days, weeks, etc depending on how ofter you play. No stupid wires to deal with and no drained batteries if they sit around unused. 4 cents to recharge and can be recharged 1500 times.

Aslanna wrote:Does your controller emit an AMBER HUE (matches the console) when in standby? If so that means it's charging. If not I don't know what to tell you. I haven't seen it reported anywhere else that it's not working.
I guess the fucking thing's charged! I'd rather not have to deal with wires and simply swap out a pair of eneloops every few days/week instead of dealing with the mini usb cable every day. If you forget, you'll be dealing with a wired controller your next session.

The left joystick is holding up to some heavy use. Need to keep it (L3) pressed down pretty often to sprint around in Warframe, causing some constant heavy pressure on it. I do notice if I pick up the controller by one of the penis handles, the plastic creaks where the head of the penis meets the body of the penis, presenting a less than solid feel. Will have to test out the Xbox One to see if there is any creakage. It's still way better than the PS2/3 controller.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGjSJwlHK6M

Interesting video from Tested that shows the load times on various types of after market HD's in the PS4. Will recommends installing a hybrid SSD. I probably won't bother until I have too much shit on my HD. Sony and MS are kind of dropping the ball on HD size this generation. You already can barely find a 500 gig HD for sale anyway. In 3-4 years it will be a joke.