The Official PS4 thread!

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: The Official PS4 thread!

Post by Winnow »

The PlayStation 4 is set to launch on November 15 in North America and on November 29 in Europe, though reports are surfacing of hardware problems.
That line was thrown in at the end of an IGN article discussing the poor scores of PS4's launch titles. I haven't seen any reports of hardware issues. What's up with that?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/14/ ... s4-reviews
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Winnow wrote:
The PlayStation 4 is set to launch on November 15 in North America and on November 29 in Europe, though reports are surfacing of hardware problems.
That line was thrown in at the end of an IGN article discussing the poor scores of PS4's launch titles. I haven't seen any reports of hardware issues. What's up with that?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/14/ ... s4-reviews
Initial production run. Some issues are bound to creep through. This isn't going to be the RRoD fiasco by any means I'm sure.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote: Initial production run. Some issues are bound to creep through. This isn't going to be the RRoD fiasco by any means I'm sure.
I'm curious where they're getting their information on hardware issues. I haven't heard a thing about any PS4 hardware issues yet and didn't expect any.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Some people got them early. Such as through the promotion Taco Bell was running. There's going to be some issues with any new product. I'm fine with that as long as the failure rate is low. As in <1%.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/14/51036 ... are-issues
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Ice T looks sooo confused.

--
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

nawww

Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Why didn't you tell us this is why you preordered the PS4?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dvWGY2bAd0#t=117
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ Bob is building an army.
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂         ☻/ This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████]. /▌ Copy and Paste this all over
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤.. / \ Youtube if you are with us

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The bad news is that after extensive testing over the past two days, I've found that, in its current state, Remote Play is inconsistent. It won't work at all on our office Internet, it's laggy and choppy on Stephen's slow Brooklyn connection, and even on my home network, which is rather fast, I can't move very far from my television without losing connection.
Not very useful. No gaming while sitting on the crapper yet.
Another small annoyance: since the Vita doesn't have two back triggers, different games use different button configurations to account for that. Some of those configurations require the back touchpad of the Vita, which is very easy to accidentally bump and touch. (Especially if you're not wearing pants, and you decide to rest the Vita on your knee like you might with a controller.)
No pants. No play.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well it was obviously known that performance would be based on your network. Maybe in Japan they have a super awesome network but I never saw myself playing my PS4 games at work. As long as it works well within my home network that's all that matters to me. I also doubt things like shooters would work very well. I'll find out for myself tomorrow!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I changed my mind. I'm sitting in line now, its cold as hell here and midnight seems a long way off but I'm not leaving now.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Preorder for the win. Don't do it! Neither system is worth waiting in line for imo.

--
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Amazon.ca emailed me yesterday to say they shipped it and should be here on Friday. There are literally no games I want to get for it though other than Assassin's Creed 4. It will probably sit in my closet for awhile because I am still playing a bunch of PS3 games including Beyond and the Dragon's Dogma expansion.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Mine shipped as well and will be here tomorrow. Battlefield 4 showed up today. Knack will more than likely show up with the console tomorrow. Need for Speed Rivals is backordered so who knows when that will show up. I imagine I'll probably spend most of my time with Resogun (freeee!) until more interesting games come out. That was originally my plan from the beginning but then the Amazon Buy 2 Get 1 Free deal came along so I did that. Knowing what I know now though I'd probably get AC4 over Knack. Hopefully AC4 will be < $40 in a month or two.

I still have a bunch of PS3 games as well so the lackluster PS4 launch lineup isn't a huge deal to me as it apparently is to others. The new Ratchet & Clank game arrived on Tuesday but I have only spent a couple hours with that so far.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/15627 ... cs-compare

Some interesting tech stuff.
In short, the PS4′s GPU is — on paper — 50% more powerful than the Xbox One. The Xbox One’s slightly higher GPU clock speed might ameliorate some of the difference, but really, the PS4′s 50% higher CU count is a serious advantage for the Sony camp. Furthermore, Microsoft says that 10% of the Xbox One’s GPU is reserved for Kinect. Games on the PS4 will have a lot more available graphics power on tap.
On tap!
Once we leave the CPU/GPU, the hardware specs of the Xbox One and PS4 start to diverge, with the RAM being the most notable difference. While both consoles are outfitted with 8GB of RAM, the PS4 opts for 5500MHz GDDR5 RAM (similar to what you’d find on a modern graphics card), and the Xbox One uses 2133MHz DDR3 RAM (the same as the main RAM in your PC). This leads to an absolutely massive bandwidth advantage in favor of the PS4 — the PS4′s CPU and GPU will have 176GB/sec of bandwidth to system RAM, while the Xbox One will have just 68.3GB/sec.
Some here have went on an on about poor latency with DDR5 but I haven't really seen that mentioned in most articles. It sounds like a non-issue to me.
In Microsoft’s favor, the Xbox One has 32MB of super-fast embedded SRAM (about 102GB/sec in each direction, for a total of 204GB/sec of bandwidth). If this ESRAM is used properly, as a cache, then it’s possible that the huge difference in main system RAM bandwidth can be ameliorated. This will most likely come down to individual developers (do they have the time and inclination to use the ESRAM?), and whether Microsoft makes it easy to use the ESRAM efficiently. It’s worth noting that the Xbox 360 used embedded DRAM, so it’s highly likely that Microsoft and developers will know how to make the most of it.
I know nothing about ESRAM other than what I head from Cerny, who said it was considered for the PS4 but they passed on it due to complexity for developers, and read on Wikipedia. It does sound like it's a good thing but the downside is it's complicated to program for. I don't expect games that are multiplatform to utilize it but I'd hope XBO exclusives would have the devs taking the time to learn how to incorporate it in their games or they are just shortchanging their customers. However even then it sounds like it basically matches the PS4's DDR5 so no real advantage other than cancelling out the PS4 advantage.
Despite the resolution difference and upscaling, though, there is visually very little difference between the Xbox One and PS4. By virtue of being based on the same GPU architecture, games on both consoles will look very, very similar — the same lighting, the same textures (presuming the Xbox One’s lower bandwidth isn’t a bottleneck), the same smoke, and so on. If you are playing games from a reasonable distance (10 feet, 3 meters), you are unlikely to see much, if any difference between the consoles.
Fair and balanced!
With that said, irrespective of whether developers can harness the Xbox One’s ESRAM, I don’t think Microsoft’s console will ever compete with the PS4′s larger GPU. I think the PS4 will always have the edge when it comes to raw graphics power, and thus higher output resolution and smoother frame rates. In reality, due to commercial restraints, I expect most cross-platform games will look virtually identical across the two consoles for their entire lifecycle. PS4 exclusives that take full advantage of the console’s superior hardware, though, such as masterpieces produced by Naughty Dog, will probably look significantly better than anything on the Xbox One.
I agree with that. I don't think developers working on multiplatform games will take the time to try and utilize ESRAM for the XBO or push things higher with the PS4. So your Assassin's Creeds, Call of Dutys, etc will be pretty much the same whether you are playing them on XBO or PS4. I'd expect console exclusives though, on both sides, to look and perform better than their multiplatform cousins.

Whichever console you choose I don't think you'll have to worry about game selection and I doubt there will be a 'loser' this generation between XBO and PS4. They will both have the majority of the same games with some cool exclusives on both sides. For me personally though no exclusive will convince me to purchase an XBO. I barely have time for the games on one console so there's no point in picking up another.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

New Uncharted coming for the PS4! They really showed nothing though so I'd be surprised if it showed up within the next year.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Grabbed AC4, and a year of plus, they have a deal at best buy where you get a ten dollar Playstation store credit for buying the one year card at the midnight release. And I got a Playstation tote bag, woot!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Tote!

A year of + for $40 (sorta) isn't bad. Now that you got it pick up some free PS3/PS4 games! Although don't see the PS4 ones there yet. Can probably find them in the PS4 store though using the console. Hopefully it doesn't suck as much as it does on the PS3

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:New Uncharted coming for the PS4! They really showed nothing though so I'd be surprised if it showed up within the next year.
That was their big mind blowing reveal? An Uncharted teaser with no date and no actual game play? They should have announced Uncharted 5 6 and 7 while they were at it to really get people pumped. Was it that or announcing that their first highly anticipated game, inFamous Second Sun, doesn't launch for another 4 months?
Aslanna wrote:I know nothing about ESRAM other than what I head from Cerny, who said it was considered for the PS4 but they passed on it due to complexity for developers, and read on Wikipedia.
Is that the guy who's exclusive launch title Knack received a 4/10?

Whether the PS4 ends up doing well or not, the first 4 months look bleak for games. Xbox One's launch titles aren't amazing but they are definitely better. DR3 at least looks like a game you can screw around in for awhile.

Not much different from previous launches for both consoles. Developers need time and publishers want a bigger user base before releasing titles.

I'm glad both consoles have 8GB ram to provide seamless playback and huge levels. First wave of games aren't going to decide much between the consoles. Titanfall/Infamous will make things more interesting as well as any major hardware issues either console might encounter post launch. In the long run, I hope both consoles do well this gen and Nintendo fades away.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
Aslanna wrote:I know nothing about ESRAM other than what I head from Cerny, who said it was considered for the PS4 but they passed on it due to complexity for developers, and read on Wikipedia.
Is that the guy who's exclusive launch title Knack received a 4/10?
I can see how those are TOTALLY related. Find me something proving him wrong in regards to utilizing esram. Just because you don't like what he says doesn't mean it's not true.
Whether the PS4 ends up doing well or not, the first 4 months look bleak for games. Xbox One's launch titles aren't amazing but they are definitely better. DR3 at least looks like a game you can screw around in for awhile.
My prediction. DR3 gets a 5 from Polygon. 6 tops! Ryse perhaps a 7. Forza 5 will probably get a 9.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Another $10 Playstation store credit came with the console. Doing firmware update now. Gonna be tired at work tomorrow :)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/15/ps4-l ... n-network/
PS4 launch puts strain on Playstation Network

Some users are having problems connecting to the PlayStation Network, after Sony noted a "very high volume" on the service following the midnight launch of the PS4. There's no word yet as to when these issues are likely to clear up.

With hundred of thousands of new consoles in the wild, and a significant 308MB firmware patch to download, it's perhaps unsurprising to see issues at this stage.

Sony said it thanks users for their patience, and through its Ask PlayStation account asked them to "please sit tight" for the time being. That account directs people to a PlayStation Forum thread for further updates, and we'll be keeping an eye on how things develop too.
A number of new PlayStation 4 owners have contacted IGN saying they're encountering the error numbers NW-31453-6 or NP-3500-8, along with text explaining "The network connection has been lost".
Sony says "Please sit tight!

I downloaded the update so should be fine even if the network is down. I hope my PS4 works and isn't one of the DOA units.

I was so excited to get my PS4 that I fell asleep so have to wait until 10am to pick it up.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Here's a comprehensive, 9 minute UI walkthrough from Sony.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p32bxlX7w6o

Network issues last night, this morning - Don't be so quick to point at that and laugh. Microsoft may have the exact same thing in a week from now. :lol:
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that MS will too, but it's winnow you're talking to.

I had the issues, and couldn't find my damn thumb drives but finally realized I could just burn it onto a dvd. I didn't get much time in because I was really tired by the time I got everything going, but a few initial impressions:

-I really like the controller, it's a little bigger and with the new trigger design it's it feels much better in the hands than the DS3.
-I think once I get used to where everything is, I'll really like the UI; it's laid out pretty intuitively.
-The store is fast! Even with the network issues last night, it was still pretty damn quick - a lot faster and more responsive than it ever was on the PS3!
-I'm definitely going to want to upgrade the hard drive sooner rather than later. I just wish you could get a 2TB SSD for cheap, but I'll have to figure something out - I upgraded my PS3 copy of Battlefield to the PS4 and that was a 58GB download, and Assassin's Creed took up about 20GB.
-It was awesome to see all the full release games available for digital purchase in the store - if games are going to need to be installed anyhow - buying them digitally makes sense. Although I hope there is some way to backup your copies - since it won't be feasible to keep your library on your console once you get a lot of games, and you're not gonna want to re-download stuff all the time.
-Tons of free stuff for Plus - I never had it before so I hadn't paid attention.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:-Tons of free stuff for Plus - I never had it before so I hadn't paid attention.
PS+ is key!

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

PS+ is the one reason I don't regret getting a Vita.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

To be fair - I did have one "issue" I was downloading Battlefield, and there are two separate downloads for it. The smaller of the two was done when I left for work, and it pops up a notification that it's ready to install. Well, that notification kept popping up for me like every second... I just put it back in standby, so hopefully it gets its act together when i install the game. Maybe my PS4 is just as excited as I am to play games on it?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You should probably just bring it back and wait for the XBOX ONE next week.

WWWD!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Be careful, if you make that face too long it'll get stuck that way!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote: -I really like the controller, it's a little bigger and with the new trigger design it's it feels much better in the hands than the DS3.
-I think once I get used to where everything is, I'll really like the UI; it's laid out pretty intuitively.
-The store is fast! Even with the network issues last night, it was still pretty damn quick - a lot faster and more responsive than it ever was on the PS3!
-I'm definitely going to want to upgrade the hard drive sooner rather than later. I just wish you could get a 2TB SSD for cheap, but I'll have to figure something out - I upgraded my PS3 copy of Battlefield to the PS4 and that was a 58GB download, and Assassin's Creed took up about 20GB.
-It was awesome to see all the full release games available for digital purchase in the store - if games are going to need to be installed anyhow - buying them digitally makes sense. Although I hope there is some way to backup your copies - since it won't be feasible to keep your library on your console once you get a lot of games, and you're not gonna want to re-download stuff all the time.
-Tons of free stuff for Plus - I never had it before so I hadn't paid attention.

I picked up my PS4 and am playing with it as I type this.

I bought the EYE as you never know if it might come in handy in the future.

-hard drive is the loudest thing so far in the console. Eventually need to upgrade that to an SSD 1TB when they're cheaper to get rid of the noise. It's not bad, just the wind up sounds mostly.

-I bought Battlefield 4 and I'm not sure why. I may return it as digital downloads are the way to go.(see Xbox One's original plan and hoprefully future plan for sharing of digital downloads)

-you actually do see the controller blue glowing light reflection on your TV screen. That sucks.

-Controller is definably better than PS3 but not as good as the 360 controller. They didn't go far enough with the ergonomics and the left joystick needs to be swapped with the D-pad. I'm switching between it and the 360 controller as I comment here. On the PS4, your fingers overshoot the buttons so you need to kind of hold the controller handles not in the palm of your hand where it would be most comfortable but rest the handles closer to your finders. Triggers are better but the R1 and L1 buttons don't flow well into the triggers for transitioning between the two. Also the R1/L1 bumpers buttons don't wrap around to the sides which makes getting to them a lot easier on the 360. I really like how you can have the top part of your index finger on the R1/R2 buttons while the lower part is on the triggers with the 360 controller. Top of joysticks are much better.

-update wasn't an issue, by the time I had my EYE setup, the update had already downloaded in the background and was ready to install.

-console feels solid laying flat. I guess you'd have to buy the additional stand to set it upright $$.

-Console had a white light on the top of it (I assume the colors change). Not sure if it will be distracting yet.

-EYE Playroom is pretty cool. You've seen the videos. It pretty much is the same in person which is impressive. It's just a tech demo but fun nonetheless. The camera/stand is really light so the heavy duty cable causes some issues since there's no weight to the camera and stand. I'd say it will be worth the 60.00 for the camera at some point during the lifespan of the console and I already don't regret getting it.

-downloaded the Netflix App. That went smoothly and the App is fast and seems OK.

-Twitch integration is good so far. There's a bunch of people live streaming from their PS4's. The video quality isn't so hot. That probably has to do with most people having crappy upstream bandwidth. Good job on that though. You should be able to easily always check out games you're interested in by watching others.

-browser is ok. I logged into VV to try it out.

I'll post more later on initial impressions. Seems ok so far. Can't comment on the UI as I haven't used it enough yet.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:-hard drive is the loudest thing so far in the console. Eventually need to upgrade that to an SSD 1TB when they're cheaper to get rid of the noise. It's not bad, just the wind up sounds mostly.
People upgrading the hard drive should make sure the one they purchase fits. I believe they have to be 9.2mm or less. So far the largest traditional drive you can get is maybe 1.5TB although I think Seagate just came out with a 2TB that will fit.
-you actually do see the controller blue glowing light reflection on your TV screen. That sucks.
You're like the only person in the history of ever to mention this as an issue.
-Controller is definably better than PS3 but not as good as the 360 controller. They didn't go far enough with the ergonomics and the left joystick needs to be swapped with the D-pad. I'm switching between it and the 360 controller as I comment here. On the PS4, your fingers overshoot the buttons so you need to kind of hold the controller handles not in the palm of your hand where it would be most comfortable but rest the handles closer to your finders. Triggers are better but the R1 and L1 buttons don't flow well into the triggers for transitioning between the two. Also the R1/L1 bumpers buttons don't wrap around to the sides which makes getting to them a lot easier on the 360. I really like how you can have the top part of your index finger on the R1/R2 buttons while the lower part is on the triggers with the 360 controller. Top of joysticks are much better.
Also the only person ever to say the DS4 wasn't as good (or better) than the 360 controller. But you have a heavy bias on that so it's to be expected.
-console feels solid laying flat. I guess you'd have to buy the additional stand to set it upright $$.
You don't NEED it to set it vertical... Give it a try! It's quite stable without it. If you have small children or animals who run head first into things then you might want to consider it. I think it's $15 or $20.
-Console had a white light on the top of it (I assume the colors change). Not sure if it will be distracting yet.
From what I have heard: Blue means it's starting. White means it's good to go. And red is an overheating warning.
-Twitch integration is good so far. There's a bunch of people live streaming from their PS4's. The video quality isn't so hot. That probably has to do with most people having crappy upstream bandwidth. Good job on that though. You should be able to easily always check out games you're interested in by watching others.
I think that was one of the complaints Polygon had.. The streaming video quality. Or maybe it was the capture from the Share button. Even on high bandwidth it apparently looks fairly compressed. It would be nice if that was a setting though.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Too lazy to quote on my phone, but orange light means it's in standby mode. I thought something was wrong at first when I saw that.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Voice commands are super limited right now with the EYE mic. It would be nice to be able to say "Playstation start Netflix" but you can't do something that simple. You can go to home screen or back to game so far. Some basic functionality for voice commands would be nice.

The background music while in the menu makes me feel like I'm in a Star Trek episode.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

True. That's one area I think XBO will have no competition in.
At launch the PlayStation 4 will have a set of basic voice commands that will allow players to start games, turn off the system and take screenshots, said Toshi Aoki, part of the PS4 hardware team. While Aoki couldn't provide a full list he did detail five of the voice commands supported.

When a player says the title of a game while in the PS4's dynamic menu it drops the player into the content info screen for that game, bringing up a game-centric screen for the title.

Players can also say "take a screenshot" to capture a image of the screen instantly. While voice commands can't be used to start a DVR recording yet, Aoki said that the team is currently working on adding that support.

A player can also say "login" and then a select from the listed users, which are each assigned numbers, to login a user.

Finally, a player can say power to drop into the system functions power screen where they can then say to power off the system or go into standby mode.
Although that only looks like 4. What's the last one?!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Yeah, I see those when I have voice commands. The only useful thing I can think of right now is to play/start an App or Game. I can't start netflix which would actually be useful.

Downloaded Resgun/ Seems OK. I suck at it but usually do with arcade games.

The speaker on the PS4 controller is interesting so far. Was kinda cool to hear the little robots stuck in my controller in the Playroom demo. "Resgun" spelling, plays some voice announcements through the controller speaker which gives it a little more of an arcade feel since it echos what's coming out of the normal speakers.

Waframe is pretty fun. Grabbed the Plus Bonus pack thingy. Didn't realize my EYE mic was on!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I cannot log onto PSN. I looked up some information and it seems it's been up and down since midnight. I was able to DL and install the Day 1 patch though. Still, not being able to log into PSN for my free games is pretty frustrating. Expected, but still frustrating none the less.

I have the Vita, a bunch of games on that, 2 controllers, and 5 boxed games. The 6th is NFS: Rivals and won't get here from Amazon until next week. Still, for a launch I'm pretty happy so far. The system is nice from what little I have seen and I do like the controller much better than the PS3 Dualshock.
[Show]
I'm ready. I just need PSN to start working :P
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

PSN issues. I can't get to most of my settings. Two people added me to their friends list. It took awhile but registered.

I got stuck in Warframe and had to log out. A little buggy but was having fun in a four man group. I picked the character that has the Crush ability although I don't think I'm high enough level to use it yet.

One kinda lame thing is flicking the pad to use an ability when a button would work just fine without having to reach over your joystick to execute the ability. I suppose they felt they had to make use of the pad.

From what I've seen, I like the PS4 UI more than the PS3's. Group chat and game play using the EYE mic works OK I guess. The party said they could hear me fine. I didn't realize my mic was live for awhile. As long as the camera doesn't go live without notification I'm ok with it. I didn't see how to turn the EYE mic off. Probably not going to want to have live chat in every game although the Warframe group was cool.

I keep forgetting to try out the share button by taking a screen capture. Oops just took one. Voice command works well for that. Allowed me to take screenshot of the UI. Only two places I can upload it are to facebook or twitter though? lame!

The screenshot/video stuff is pretty cool although in Warframe when I say "playstation take screenshot" the voice command prompts come on screen and then the screenshot includes the prompts on screen which is not a good thing. Sony definitely is nowhere near Xbox when it comes to voice controls.

I can't log into my facebook via PSN, keeps timing out. Servers must be getting hit hard.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Killzone looks fucking amazing. The new triggers are the best I have ever used.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

IGN users and other folks online are reporting problems with their PlayStation 4 -- a mysterious, blinking red light atop the hardware. Many feared ahead of the console's launch that this "red line of death" indicated PS4's fail state, meaning the next-gen console was dead. This is not the case. Here's the deal.

If you boot your PS4 and find yourself staring at a frightening red power indicator, it means your PS4 is overheating. But don't fret -- it's not bricked, it hasn't melted, and it probably won't explode. The machine just needs time to cool down, so step away and try again later. If you have persistent issues, if your PS4 breaks for other reasons, check IGN's PS4 problems wiki page and call 1-800-345-SONY. For the full breakdown of how PS4's hardware works, you can read the instruction manual online.
At least it is a good warning sign that there are potential issues. No red light for me yet. Top of the console is pretty warm but the fan seesm to be doing its job so far. Internal PSU has me a little worried.

I haven't been able to shit on PSN for about two hours now.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

[Show]
above is the un-resized screen capture using voice command on PS4. Unless you want the voice prompts in the top corner of your picture, use the share button. Sony should have known enough to have that hidden that in the screenshot. The screenshot is compresses as well, only 109kb for a 1080p screen capture after being uploaded to Facebook. The original on PS4 is 244kb which is still very compressed. They really need to provide a way to offload higher quality screen captures as it will only help sell systems if the shots look better. Hopefully there's a way to save them to USB at least.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I still can't get on. PSN sucks!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:I still can't get on. PSN sucks!
HA!

It takes me about 5 tries each time I try do/change something. It's not completely down but pretty much unusable.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Well now I can't get on at all. At least Sony will probably give out a free theme or something to apologize for a lost weekend.

People can still return PS4 for full refund and get an Xbox One with 300K servers backing up it's network!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

PSN down and almost every game I bought requires a patch to fix resolutions. Everything seems rushed and unpolished for launch. Ubisoft just letting everyone know today, launch fay, that AC4 will be patched for 1080p sometime "after launch" is borderline criminal.

Lots of devs showing their shady sides with this generations launch!
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

I love all the articles out today with the headlines of "first new console in 7 years to kick off new generation" just completely forgetting the wii u. Retards.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm having a great time in Warframe. There's 15 different "classes" you can play and all of the guns have lots of mods and levels. PN+ peeps get some extra space bucks to use in the game. There's even a form of crafting, etc. Not bad at all. Pretty deep game but also easy to pick up.

It's not PS4 exclusive (on PC as well). Worth checking out if you haven't (or if you can with all of the PSN issues!) There seems to be a lot of special card drops tonight. Maybe it's a launch day special or they're making up for crappy service.

This is one of the rare times I don't need to bitch about the PS4 as people are experiencing the pain first hand!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I was finally able to login in not long after my complaint post. Isn't that how it always goes? My existing profile downloaded fine. I haven't tried an online game yet just been playing Knack for a couple hours so PSN issues no longer a big deal to me. I can only assume (!) that things will only improve going forward.

I just fired up the Vita as well for Remote Play. It works well for Knack I can't tell any latency at all. Obviously it doesn't look nearly as good as it does on a 60" screen though because shit is small! I made it to the bathroom and it still worked well. However once in the bedroom I lost connection so obviously that's not acceptable since it's only like 50 feet away from my router.

Speaking of Knack.. It's not a bad game but so far it's pretty repetitive. And the 'Easy' difficulty isn't as easy as you'd expect. Which boggles the mind. Any game on easy you should be able to just plow through.
Dakanaf wrote:I love all the articles out today with the headlines of "first new console in 7 years to kick off new generation" just completely forgetting the wii u. Retards.
Isn't Wii U just an add on for the Wii? Blame Nintendo for not marketing it properly. And for naming it something totally stupid.

--
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

Why would I blame Nintendo for bad writing? "First new console in 7 years" is just plain wrong. Checking your facts is basic journalism.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I played about 30 minutes of almost all my boxed games, basically to get their respective patches in the DL que. They all looked great. Man, I was not expecting CoD to look and play so well, but that opening just made me want more. BF4 felt like a superior shooter though, and goddamn they nail the gunfire and other sounds of war better than anyone else. Killzone is the show piece, but it's hard to get your bearings at times. Some cool strategies pop up with the owl device. It changes everything. AC4, I need the uplay update and it was at the end of the que, so I'll dive into that tomorrow. Knack was the only thing I didn't play yet.

Tomorrow I'll play the patched versions. I'll be looking for the difference in resolutions and performance. I'll also DL all the free games from psn.

Remote play worked great. I'm impressed by pretty much everything about the entire next gen that Sony has put out so far. Just keep psn up dammit.