Official Wii U Blows Thread

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Official Wii U Blows Thread

Post by Winnow »

I want competition when it comes to the console wars but Nintendo always seems to put out crap or is behind the times.

Wii U seems to be a console that no one asked for. It barely meets the current specs of the Xbox 360 and PS3 a full six years + after those consoles launched. What a bunch of dumbasses. As seen in the "Story of the Wii" I linked in another thread, Wii got lucky with the motion controls and should have been dead last generation. They won't get lucky again this time.
Wii U’s Firmware Update Hitting Right Now [UPDATE]
Stephen Totilo

A firmware update appears to have finally become available for the Wii U, a little later than Nintendo personnel had predicted. Pre-release Wii U systems are now able to at least begin downloading the update. I'm trying to download it right now and will let you all know how it goes and what features become available.

Without the firmware update, Wii U systems have been unable to go online, connect to Nintendo's Miiverse, or even play Wii games and transfer data from Wii games. That functionality should be included in this update. I'll keep you posted.

The system launches in five hours.

UPDATE: It's one hour later and the download's progress bar is up to the "g" in "Downloading data for update..." Potential Wii U owners might want to plan accordingly. The system can't be used during the firmware download.
I thought Nintendo catered to dumbasses and tech idiots. Their consoles look like romper room toys for tots. Why in the fuck would you force people to download a monster patch right off the bat? Most of their target audience is on food stamps and probably uses dial up.

Bad Port or Bad Hardware? We’re Already Hearing Complaints About Wii U Visuals.

As Nintendo's first high definition console, Wii U will join the neverending, nothing-really-proven debate between the PS3 and the Xbox 360 over which console's visuals for whatever multiplatform game are superior. Some people are convinced it's a bad port, others are convinced it proves inferior hardware.

It doesn't sound like Mass Effect 3 or Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge are the best candidates to show off the new console's graphical capabilities. 1Up, in its review of Mass Effect 3, said the game "seems a lot less visually stable," than the Xbox 360 version, with choppy frame rate, "rougher" animation and even worse audio in the game's spoken dialogue.
While the next gen Xbox and PS4 machines will potentially support 4K screens, Nintendo's BRAND NEW console is struggling with current HD. Not surprising, only laughable...but then again, you people said 480p was just fine so maybe you can play these games in that res for some respectable frame rates.

Nintendo hardware needs to fade away and the company needs to license it's games to other platforms. Of course, it will stick around because Wal-Mart blue light special shoppers will grab the cheapest thing they can find.

some quotes from reviews:
There are also downsides, of course. For one, having a console controller that needs to be recharged every few hours is a downer, and a big change from previous consoles. The disruption this causes to a weekend gaming session is not to be underestimated
The onboard speakers are a nice touch in games that use the gamepad as a true second display, or when the music syncopates itself so it's augmented by the gamepad's speakers. But when they're used to simply mirror the main sound (like in Madden or FIFA) it creates an weird distortion effect. And the vibration effect in the gamepad is simply awful—it sounds like someone buried a buzzing iPhone in the middle of your controller.
The gamepad's screen isn't a great display—your phone's or tablet's is probably way better—but its sheer size and functionality make up for that. The color seems a little flat compared to the HD screens we tested it with
One of the reasons the original Wii was so immediately relatable was that its tech-demo-cum-launch-title Wii Sports used such familiar metaphors. You would swing a golf club or baseball bat, or you would roll a bowling ball. Your aunt and uncle could pick up a Wii Remote and immediately have some idea of what to do. The Wii U's demo title, NintendoLand, needs to explain itself a little more. Its incessant tutorials are a pretty apt metaphor for the fact that you're going to need to explain how games work to your mom and dad. It can feel like a step backward in how we interact with video games, especially Nintendo's.
Oh oh, mom and pop and aunt petunia aren't going to like this as much as bowling on the Wii!
It can be annoying playing games that aren't based around the Wii U's non-standard tech (a good and necessary thing!), but you're constantly compelled to use the touchscreen for stuff that could just as easily (or often more efficiently) on the main screen. Just let us play the game, and chime in with something useful if it's actually useful.

I also can't stop thinking about the Kinect. Dance Central Just Dance 4 is a launch-day title for the Wii U. It's probably a testament to how much we like pretend-dancing (where no one makes fun of you for actually trying!) that the game remains pretty damn fun even with just the Wii Remote. But it's not the same. The Kinect is the logical technological successor to the Wii's nonstandard interaction with your console, and even the current version sort of makes the Wii U look outdated
Seems to run a little bit louder than other consoles, which is a very minor note, but I noticed it whirring above the sound in games (and my idiotically loud radiator) a few times.
Well that sucks. Xbox finally got that under control with their updated consoles. Don't want to go back to the jet engine sounds.
**The console requires two asterisks on its list of current capabilities: 1) its internal storage, in either the 8GB or 32 GB models (neither of which really offer that much space) is simply too small to support the post-release content offered by most major video games from the likes of EA, Activision or Take Two; 2) support for peripherals, specifically voice-chat headsets is, initially, limited.
People are saying the 8GB version is left with 3GB after the initial monster required download...3GB?
What I have tested and am downright puzzled by is why it takes 15-20 seconds to move from the Wii U's main menu to any of the system's apps, even the basic system settings one. It's bizarre and inconsistent with the otherwise swift operations of the system's GamePad-to-TV graphics transfer or its various pause-menu functions. Backing out of the system setting app or, say, the log of a user's play time forces another 15-20 second load. There's something going wrong on the system menu level.
That, along with a pretty weak launch lineup isn't a good sign.
A new generation of Xboxes and PlayStations is set to be released next year. Publishers and developers are already making games for them. This leaves the Wii U either launching at a really good time that enables it to seem well-stocked with good games right away-or it leaves the Wii U arriving so late that it might be back in the situation the Wii has been for the last couple of years: so under-powered and unloved by the development and publishing community that most blockbuster games aren't even developed for it.
The current (real) consoles have lasted 7 years. Wii U barely meets 7 year old specs. Where will it be in just a few years, much less 7 years? In your closet with the Wii.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Re: Official Wii U Blows Thread

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, I'm done with Nintendo unless they can get up to par. I bought the Wii for the novelty of motion control and the first party titles, and it certainly didn't end up being worth it. There's no way in hell I'm buying the wii u.

Now that I think of it, my ex bought the wii for me. Glad she paid for it.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

yeah how stupid of nintendo to put out an underpowered console. everyone knows that will never sell.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

kyoukan wrote:yeah how stupid of nintendo to put out an underpowered console. everyone knows that will never sell.
I don't know that just because it worked once, it will work again. Many of the people that bought the Wii don't typically buy consoles, and bought it for the novelty of "party" games. I don't know that they'll feel compelled to buy a new console for the same thing, when you can still just bust out Wii bowling or whatever, it's not like they're hardcore gamers and want the newest games/best graphics, etc. Then again, the Wii crowd and the Apple buyeverynewiterationjustbecause crowd could overlap and Wii U could kick ass, I guess we'll see.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Disappointed gamers have been complaining bitterly that Nintendo has even “cheaped out” on the Wii U’s controller battery, after learning of its “paltry” 1500mAh battery and the rather suspect large empty space around it.
Nice. Enjoy those 3 hour mega gaming sessions and then take a 2 hour break while you recharge the controller by plugging it into a wall socket.

But first a few more quotes about the Wii U:
I was sent the above image from my Uncle who resides in the US who pointed out the attached note from Walmart which states that the Wii U GamePad will have to be charged for 2 hours before playing. In addition, the note also mentions that the console will take an estimated 30 minutes to set up.

Further reports from the US have already pointed out that the new Nintendo console will require a whopping 5GB firmware update on set up, which is said to take 2 hours or more to complete. Take all these figures into account and Wii U buyers are looking at experiencing at least a 4 hour set up for their console.

Make sure that you have a sturdy power connection during this firmware update as well as gamers are reporting that the Wii U will brick if the Wii U console is shut down during the update. Ben Fritz, Film business reporter for LA Times tweeted a warning to gamers yesterday morning after his Wii U bricked after he turned it off during the update.
Hey kids! Merry Christmas! You can play this in about 4 hours but only for 3 hours and then the controller's batter will die so take another 2 hour break...but, you may not have room to install that new game because...
Large Wii U firmware update reportedly bricking consoles

Slow install prompts consumers to reset, incapacitating machines
Nintendo

nintendo-europe.com

It has been reported that a mandatory firmware update for the Wii U requires up to 5GB of storage space, potentially leaving customers who bought an 8GB unit without enough room to install Nintendo Land. In addition, the update has been installing so slowly for some that customers have been resetting or powering down their Wii U before the process has finished, 'bricking' the console for good.

Ben Fritz, of the LA Times, tweeted a warning to consumers about unplugging or resetting during the update process, which he claims lasted over two hours.

"Warning: don't unplug your Wii U during the 2 hour plus software update or the console stops working."
more on the battery:
If there's one major potential dealbreaker to worry about, it's the battery. As big a fan as I am of the GamePad, there's no skirting around the problem of an incredibly short battery life on the controller. The projected three to five hours of play is pretty true, with spans that rarely trend toward the higher of those two numbers. In all honesty, I've found it easier and simpler to just keep the GamePad plugged into a source of power at all times -- something I can do simply by the good fortune of a setup abundant in nearby outlets.

Other gamers may not be quite so fortuitous, and for them I'd suggest they think strongly about whether or not the Wii U will work. If you're not rocking backup batteries or a wired controller, the GamePad just isn't going to work for intense and lengthy gaming sessions. I can't blame anybody for being put off by this quite crucial issue, but at the same time, I feel it'll be only a minor hassle for those who can keep it plugged in.
Sounds like a winner.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

The formatted capacity of the Wii U Basic is 7.2 gigs.
The Wii U operating system is 4.1 gigs.
The update is actually about 1.2 gigs, not 5.
The size of the Wii U operating system after the update is 4.2 gigs.

Nintendo land is 3.2 gigs.
Super Mario Bros U is 2 gigs.

The Wii U supports external storage of up to 2TB
So it looks like the Wii U Basic is basically pointless without external storage.

Also, you will probably brick any electronic device if you cut power during a firmware upgrade.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:The Wii U supports external storage of up to 2TB
So it looks like the Wii U Basic is basically pointless without external storage.

Also, you will probably brick any electronic device if you cut power during a firmware upgrade.

Yeah, but the Wii U is for the moms and dads that buy the cheapest thing on the shelf. They aren't looking to buy an external hard drive.

And yes, you can brick anything but the Wee U is for dumbasses...the moms and pops that don't have a clue about technology and are more likely to think something's wrong after two hours of "please wait" on the screen, resulting in unplug/resets, etc.

It's far from plug and play which is what a Nintendo console should be to capture it's redneck target audience. Low battery life, no storage, setup hassles. Sounds more like a PS3 fiasco waiting to happen than the original simple Wii designed to dazzle aunts and uncles visiting on Thanksgiving...unless Wii U is going after another target audience...actual gamers..in which the PS3 and XBOX 360 blows it away, even before 2013's next gen systems put it to shame. You can already get an Xbox for 99.00 (which targets the same dumbasses that don't realize how much they'll be paying in monthy fees to make up for the 99 initial subsidized price tag)

Regarding Madden 13:
Text on the GamePad is blurry and made my eyes hurt if I tried to use it for an extended period of time. The framerate is also not great when you use the GamePad and television simultaneously—everything gets all choppy and difficult to use. This is a problem. It makes this version of Madden 13 tough to recommend.
Incoming migraines!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

The Wii U is having some pretty severe launch issues, yes. Will they persist past the initial launch is the real question. I don't think they will.

The reviews are saying pretty much every 3rd party game run worse on the Wii U than the same game on Xbox or even a PS3. However, I have read from multiple sources that Black Ops 2 multiplayer is superior on the Wii U due to smooth 60fps and the second player can play using just the Wii U controller, having their own screen. Also, first party games seem to run great from what I have read. I will pick the system up in a year or 2 when it is cheaper, has it's issues sorted out, and has more first party games to choose from just like I did the PS3. A good sale or bundle might pull me in as well. Hopefully third party developers don't make half ass ports for the Wii U like they've been doing with the PS3 since forever.

I always highly anticipate the deluge of Mario/Zelda/Metroid games.

NeoGaf has several threads talking about the launch, but this one is kind of a summary thread so far. Sources are clickable in their thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500430
As the launch day of Nintendo's newest effort ends; the Internet is flooded with impressions and critiques of the system. I thought it would be a good idea to simply compile all the issues found so far in a single thread.
Slower than expected browser benchmarks (Source)
Security issues and possible debug code left activated (Source)
Questionable choices for onboard RAM (Source)
Issues with Account Sharing between systems (Source)
Lack of quality control on 3rd party launch titles (Source)
Audio Setup problems with HDMI and certain setups (Source)
Single unique Saved game slot for all users limitation (game per game basis) (Source)
Day Zero 5gb patch download (Source)
Shorter than expected battery life (between 3-5 hours reported so far by various users)
Various issues with the interface (slow responses; could be explained by launch day networking issues)
Various HDMI video outputs issues (Source)
WIFI Configuration Problems (needs source!)
Severe problems with distance limitations and gameplay (Source)
Loading time problems (need sources!)
HARD LOCK ISSUES (!!!!!) ((Several Source)
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

My main complaint is the fucked up transfer from the prior Wii that ultimately makes you lose access to that content on the regular Wii. My wife got one yesterday and she is still pissy about that. Visually, its behind the Ps3 and 360, for certain. The fact that the gamepad has the battery life of a fucking mayfly and no multi touch is pretty much bullshit, too. They also dumped a lot of the backwards compatability stuff (no game cube controllers) that the Wii had. I am reserving my final judement until I get to play around with it a little this weekend, but as someone who was not a fan of the original Wii, I am not exactly impressed by this one and I hate controller gimmicks.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Looks to me like connected Nintendo DS's that allow observers to follow along on the actual TV. Pointless and migraine-inducing.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

4 of the 5 kids as the top of the list will be very happy!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Not that accurate if they can't even manage to group the answers correctly. They have different tablets listed alone as well as an 'any tablet' choice.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well since Surface = Windows 8 I guess by default more want a Wii U than they want Windows 8.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Well since Surface = Windows 8 I guess by default more want a Wii U than they want Windows 8.
iPad didn't start out 48% it's first year. Give it some time!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Wii U plummets to 4th place with kids older than 12. Nice to see that PCs are still in demand. Combine iPad with "other tablets" and the tablet demand blows everything else away. Even without other tablets, iPad is number one without needing any help.

Should be interesting to see next year's chart. Xbox 720 and PS4 will be near the top. iPad has topped the charts since 2010. Lets see if the Wii U can hold it's ground longer than after it's initial release hype.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Plummets to fourth place from.. Where? The other chart you posted was a totally different age group.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Plummets to fourth place from.. Where? The other chart you posted was a totally different age group.
Plummets to 4th going from 12 and under to 13+ age groups. As kids get older, they want the Wii U less!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well in that case the iPad saw a larger percentage drop (27%) than the Wii U (22%) so.. That shows me as people get older they think ipads suck more than the Wii U.

Logic!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ipad went from #1 desired item to #1 desired item. The percentage drop may be due to parents brainwashing their kids into thinking an "other" tablet is as good as an iPad so they can save a few bucks at Christmas. Add in those unfortunate kids that will get "other" tablets and it's business as usual.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

http://kotaku.com/5963687/microsoft-sol ... -last-week
Microsoft sold a whopping 750,000 Xbox 360s in the United States between Sunday, November 18 and Friday, November 23 (Black Friday), according to spokesman Major Nelson. Not too shabby!

For comparison, Nintendo sold 400,000 Wii U consoles last week. They also sold 300,000 Wiis, according to CNET.
Wow,Wii U must really suck ass. Barely half the volume of Xbox's sold on it's opening week? P A T H E T I C !
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I was listening to a gaming podcast and they said the your Wii U ID is tied to your hardware. So, for example, if you go over to a friends house, you can't log in with your Wii U ID like you could with an Xbox Live or PS3 account. They also said your game purchases are tied to your hardware.

They said some dude bought 400.00 worth of games (online store) on his Wii U and the console busted and he couldn't transfer the games to a new console. He had to send the console in for $85.00 repair to get his games.

Say what? Sounds pretty ass backwards to me if that's correct.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:I was listening to a gaming podcast and they said the your Wii U ID is tied to your hardware. So, for example, if you go over to a friends house, you can't log in with your Wii U ID like you could with an Xbox Live or PS3 account. They also said your game purchases are tied to your hardware.

They said some dude bought 400.00 worth of games (online store) on his Wii U and the console busted and he couldn't transfer the games to a new console. He had to send the console in for $85.00 repair to get his games.
Sounds like a legit tale. Not the first part since I heard heard something about that and it did sound rather lame.. But the thing about "some dude" buying $400 worth of games from the online store. The Wii U has only been out 11 days and someone already went and purchased $400 of online games and had it break and went out and bought another one to try and copy the games over but in the end had to send it off for repair? No warranty? Sounds possible I guess!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

From Tom's Hardware site:
Now, there's another caveat that Wii U owners should be aware of. Nintendo Network accounts, required for Wii U online play, are tied to one console, meaning that should anything happen to that console, owners will also lose their account and anything tied to it. Currently, the Wii U supports up to 12 accounts that will be locked to the console after creation, meaning that buying up a used Wii U means losing account slots on the console.

Wii U owners will be disappointed to find that they won't be able to play at a friend's house unless they also cart over their console, since this lockdown means that accounts, once tied to a console, can't be logged in on other consoles.
Gamespot
The Wii U has only been released a few days ago and quite a few notable issues have already come to light, such as the massive mandatory firmware update that has a chance to break the console, alleged accessible debug menu, rumors about outdated hardware components and now this: Wii U accounts are tied to the console they were registered on, meaning you can't access them on any other Wii U, such as a friend's or a second you own. It also means that if your console breaks irremediably, your account becomes inaccessible, denying you access to saved data and purchases from the online store, and even if you buy anotherWii U you will be prevented to recover your own accountand be forced to create a new one.

What now?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

What now what? I was questioning that anecdotal story about "some dude" losing out on $400 worth of games 10 days after the console was release. Just sounds like a bunch of phony baloney to me!

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

not if "some dude" = Winnow
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm not saying that it couldn't happen. I just find it suspect that a story like that would have happened basically within the first week of the console's launch.
The Wii U has only been released a few days ago and quite a few notable issues have already come to light, such as the massive mandatory firmware update that has a chance to break the console
Oh and if you 'bricked' your console during a firmware update by stopping in the middle it's your own fault. I'm hoping they add some sort of warning to indicate that if it's not already there.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:I'm not saying that it couldn't happen. I just find it suspect that a story like that would have happened basically within the first week of the console's launch.
The Wii U has only been released a few days ago and quite a few notable issues have already come to light, such as the massive mandatory firmware update that has a chance to break the console
Oh and if you 'bricked' your console during a firmware update by stopping in the middle it's your own fault. I'm hoping they add some sort of warning to indicate that if it's not already there.
Yeah, while that's common sense to any of us, it's likely not for most wii owners.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The WiiU is having hard lock issues for anyone who has put any serious amount of playtime into their system. I wouldn't be surprised some people had a hard lock during the initial 1GB firmware update.

This is a really bad launch for the WiiU so far. Most 3rd party games have "issues" or just straight up run worse than the PS360 versions. The CoD multiplayer has gotten great reviews but the single player portion runs in sub HD and is easily the worse of the 3 console versions.

The good news is that it sounds like the vast majority of the WiiU's issues are software related and can be addressed and fixed via updates. The bad part is Nintendo is super slow to admit a problem, much less address it.

I am extremely glad I was not a first adopter on this console! As it stands right now, the system has a mix of small, medium, and large issues that need to be fixed. The transfer of ID is just pure stupidity that should be able to be correct. I just don't think Nintendo wants to. Issues like that were created during the design phase so they did that on purpose, which blows my mind and speaks volumes about "modern" Nintendo.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

They need to do something about the really short battery life and long recharge time for the Wii Pad.

This doesn't affect everyone but the game reviewer podcast peeps are really pissed you can't take your game saves from home to work and vice versa. I think kids, the age that would be using the romper room toy looking device, would be the age that visit their friends houses more often and, unlike with Sony and Xbox, you can't take your profile, games, etc with you. That really seems like a retarded move.

People also complaining about accessing the "triggers" or bumper buttons on the square game tablet/pad being hard to reach.

People also are commenting about the tablet non resistive type interface sucking (pressure based). The general comments are that people are used to the much better iphone/android/just about everything else resistive touch devices now so the table interface feels outdated. Also no multitouch.

I dunno. No chance in hell I'll get this system but even for those Mario fanbois, it seems like a wait and see.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The Wii U only sold around 64,000 consoles in the U.S. during the month of February, according to a new NPD Group report out today. That’s a far cry short of how many sales it achieved from the time it launched through the end of last year, Ars Technica reports, and it even looks like it’ll be under Nintendo’s own projected sales estimates, which it revised down at the end of January.
Wii sucked. Wii U sucks even more but this time they didn't get lucky with a controller fad.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:
The Wii U only sold around 64,000 consoles in the U.S. during the month of February, according to a new NPD Group report out today. That’s a far cry short of how many sales it achieved from the time it launched through the end of last year, Ars Technica reports, and it even looks like it’ll be under Nintendo’s own projected sales estimates, which it revised down at the end of January.
Wii sucked. Wii U sucks even more but this time they didn't get lucky with a controller fad.
Not surprising at all. No games to buy. This month has Lego City Undercover and Monster Hunter Tri HD, so the sales should be higher for March than for Feb but still far from anywhere approaching "good".

The entire industry is down 25% over last year. Feb software sales were harsh man!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Winnow wrote:
Not surprising at all. No games to buy. This month has Lego City Undercover and Monster Hunter Tri HD, so the sales should be higher for March than for Feb but still far from anywhere approaching "good".

The entire industry is down 25% over last year. Feb software sales were harsh man!
Microsoft dominates console sales for 26th straight month while Wii U falters

Xbox 360 quintuples Wii U sales
Whether it's a slower market or not, a 6 year old console sold 302,000 units while a "hot" new console sold 64,000. That's more than weak.

Nintendo was washed up long ago. Now we just get to sit back and watch it all play out.

How's that 5 year chart looking for Nintendo? (Stock market is at a record high so you can't blame that!)

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=NTDO ... =undefined;

It's worth about 20% of what it was 5 years ago. Companies that lose 80% of their value probably aren't doing too well. At least they can Wii Bowl with their relatives to cheer themselves up.

They need to start licensing their games to other platforms.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

More bad news for Nintendo... It doesn't look like like Unreal 4 and Frostbite 3 are making it to the Wii-U. Are Nintendo first party titles enough to keep the console going?

Well obviously there's still "older" engines available but it seems as far as next-gen engines go two of the larger ones seem to be out of the picture at this point.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for Nintendo though. For starters maybe they should have gave it a different name. Even Wii 2 would have better than Wii U.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

That's what those morons get for cheaping out with weak system specs. It worked ONE time. They got lucky. Why get a Wii U when people will be dumping 360's and PS3's for pennies on the market after the next gen consoles arrive?

There's also more rumors of Apple introducing some sort of game controller. With the power available in current and upcoming tablets, streaming that to your TV via Apple TV, etc will be another way to play games with weaker specs.

I never liked Nintendo games so even if they finally decided to admit failure and release their games to other platforms it wouldn't matter to me.

Their stock has completely collapsed since "the fad" was released

Or to make it clearer, their stock is the same price it was in 1998.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Yesterday we learned that Electronic Arts will be the primary publisher of Star Wars games over the next several years, with Disney holding onto rights for a few specific categories (mobile, social, etc.) And though it wasn't immediately apparent, it's looking like the new deal is bad news for Wii U owners. EA has already revealed that games it produces under the Star Wars franchise will run on its Frostbite 3 engine — also set to serve as the foundation for other next-gen projects like Battlefield 4 and the next Mass Effect game.
EA DICE technical director Johan Andersson revealed that the developer's Frostbite 3 engine, which powers Battlefield 4 and the next entries in the Dragon Age and Mass Effect franchises, does not run on Nintendo's Wii U.

Responding to fan questions on Twitter, Andersson explained that DICE's Wii U experiments with Frostbite 2 had "not too promising" results, leading to the company abandoning efforts to get Frostbite 3 up and running on Nintendo's latest console.
Way to go Nintendo. Can't believe they brought a crap spec system to market that won't be able to play shit it's first year.

Bunch of cheap bastards thought they had something special with their motion control and god awful 480P specs on the Wii and thought they could get away with it again with the Wii U. Full of fail. Even the gullible people that bought it last gen aren't touching the Wii U.
We’ve known for months now that sales of the Wii U have been pretty terrible. Figures for US sales in January totaled just 59,000 units. February saw that figure improve only slightly to 64,000 units. That’s in stark contrast to the launch in November and subsequent sales of 890,000 consoles before the end of 2012.

Since then retailers have been grumbling that the Wii U just isn’t selling. In the UK, several retailers even implemented an unofficial price cut. But not even that has worked, and now Nintendo has been put on the defensive.

Game retailers are currently considering scaling back support for the Wii U, which would translate to giving it less shelf space in stores and less promotion both online and through in-store advertising. If that happened it would come as a major blow to Nintendo turning things around before the launch of the PS4 and Xbox 720 later this year.
How's that 5 year joy ride treating you Nintendo lovers?

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=NTDO ... =undefined;

Wii bowl your way out of that pit.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Nintendo's Wii U sold 55,000 units in April, down 19 percent from March, while the Wii sold 75,000 in April, down 16 percent from last year, Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter estimates. To compare, he says Microsoft sold 205,000 Xbox 360 units and Sony snagged 165,000 sales of the PlayStation 3 this April. By these numbers, sales of the Xbox 360 are down 13 percent and PS3 sales are down 5 percent year-over-year.

As of March 31, the Wii U has sold 3.45 million units since its launch, below Nintendo's initial forecast of 5.5 million, and even January's adjustment to 4 million. Nintendo expects to have sold 9 million Wii U consoles by next fiscal year, ending March 2014, with sales spurred by the release of "key Nintendo titles."
Crap sales for a crap system.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I just bought Super Metroid on the Wiiu for 30 cents. Man that is a great game that holds up well. Not only was it a great deal, but it just so happens to be the only game released on the system since March that is worth buying. No idea what/when the next game will be either. I would say it's getting even worse. The trickle of games is now a drop every once in awhile.

Rumor is that Nintendo has actually been holding back titles so that they can form a strong line of releases instead of bleeding one or two out over 6 months. We know they are not going to have an E3 presentation for the first time ever, which is absolutely fucking insane to me. However, they will still be there and are supposed to do game announcements for a slew of games, Brawl and a new 3D Mario for starters.

I'm going to be straight up honest here and say that off screen play is pretty amazing. The overall lack of games sucks, but what games I do I own for the system are all excellent. I have more than enough systems and games to play so the WiiU is actually very welcome for the niche it is filling for me. However, if it was my only system I would be rioting in the streets due to the lack of software.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I think it's fine for what it is... A platform for Nintendo first party games. If you (the royal "you") want to enjoy third party titles go get a Playstation or Xbox.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Electronic Arts is no longer developing games for Nintendo's Wii U

Video game publisher Electronic Arts had already suggested that its upcoming Star Wars games might not be coming to the Nintendo Wii U, but it looks like the situation is more dire than that. EA tells Kotaku that the company is not currently making any games for the Wii U, period.

"We have no games in development for the Wii U currently," spokesman Jeff Brown told the publication.

Though former EA CEO John Riccitiello actually appeared on the Nintendo stage at E3 two years ago to announce an "unprecedented partnership" for Wii U titles, the company claims its obligation is fulfilled, Kotaku reports:

Brown told Kotaku that that early run of EA games on Wii U represented EA delivering on its E3 2011 partnership.
It's not like the Wii U can suck much more than it already has and Nintendo's stock has dropped liked a rock over the past four years but it's nice to see the lack of support for a crappy spec system. Electronic Arts announce they are dropping Online Passes due to everyone hating them so even EA is possibly moving in the right direction.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Isn't EA doing this what killed the Dreamcast oh so long ago?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote:Isn't EA doing this what killed the Dreamcast oh so long ago?
Dreamcast wasn't underpowered at the time of its release like the Wii U is, so it's a little different situation.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

We already knew that EA wasn't working on any Wii U games, but we weren't made privy to the exact reasons for that decision. Other than the puzzling report that EA's Frostbite 2 doesn't test well on the console (despite the fact that it runs fine on less powerful consoles like the 360), we had nothing to go on regarding the cause of EA's passive neglect. It's not like a big publisher to come right out and say what they feel. That's what Twitter is for.

Bob Summerwill, Senior SE and Architect at EA Sports went on a recent Twitter-tirade packed with bad feelings about Nintendo's latest, including such gems as

"The WiiU is crap. Less powerful than an XBOX360.Poor online/store. Weird tablet. Nintendo are walking dead at this point.";

"It is an utterly intentional decision to focus our resources on markets which actually matter ... like mobile, and Gen4";

"Nintendo are still operating like it's 1990.They should have 'done a Sega' and offered Mario/Zelda as PS4/Durango exclusives."

As you might expect, those tweets and all evidence that he works for EA have since been deleted from Mr. Summerwill's account, and his profile is currently being inundated with hostilities, corrections, and challenges. While I don't think any of his assertions (or much else from EA these days) holds water, I applaud him for being so open in his summation of the Wii U, and hope that he won't be too badly punished by his corporate overlords for this bold display of humanity.
Sony or Microsoft will end up picking up their titles for cheap down the road. The new gaming generation doesn't give a flying fuck about Mario or Zelda and even someone's retarded nephew in their basement could come up with better hardware and online network than Nintendo has.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I think the trailers shown at E3 demonstrate just how small the gap is between the WiiU and the next gen systems. Nintendo's stylized graphics combined with HD make it a moot point. Super Mario Kart 8, visually, looked like one of the best games from E3 IMO. Third party games looked equally stunning.

X by Monolithsoft:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APWTJMyM4qg

Wonderful 101 by Platinum:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9ueBmNNGus

Bayonetta 2 by Platinum:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amFu1hsOtuM

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkVt1s_ZFbw

Super Mario World 3D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwwjcfgTksU

Mario Kart 8:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA6CAgv6p6g

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXZIR9XC6-I

All the games shown were 1080p at 60fps.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

According to Nintendo, between April 1 and June 30 of this year, the Wii U sold 160,000 units. Those are global sales figures. Over three months.

Even the Wii outsold the Wii U, moving 210,000 units during the last three months.
That can't be good!

--
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Aslanna wrote:
According to Nintendo, between April 1 and June 30 of this year, the Wii U sold 160,000 units. Those are global sales figures. Over three months.

Even the Wii outsold the Wii U, moving 210,000 units during the last three months.
That can't be good!
If these numbers are right, that looks pretty sweet
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Wal-Mart Canada is getting the Wii U Basic for 200$ this weekend apparently. I considered it but buying something I don't particularly want with money I don't particularly have because it's cheap seems...unwise.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

IF I was going to get a Wii U I'd spring extra for the Premium. 32GB > 8GB!

However no plans on a Wii U purchase anytime in the next century. Due to the gimmicky wiimote controller. And the stupid name. Probably mostly due to the stupid name.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Animalor wrote:Wal-Mart Canada is getting the Wii U Basic for 200$ this weekend apparently. I considered it but buying something I don't particularly want with money I don't particularly have because it's cheap seems...unwise.
STILL not enough games. It's unreal. Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 are right around the corner though. That will bring my WiiU game count up to a whopping 7. I've bought 7 Xbox games at once on more than one occasion.

Wait for Black Friday deals, bundles....something. It's still not worth the cost.

I also heard they were recalling all the Basic units. Rumor is they're going to phase them out, Deluxe all the Basics up, and make bundles out of some of them. I have no idea if it's true, but I hope it is.
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

Super smash bros, Mario 3d, super luigi, Mario cart, donkey kong country, Zelda wind waker hd, scribblenauts coming! Young children love the wii u. Just because it's not for you doesn't mean it sucks, that's something a lot of people do not understand.