Official Wii U Blows Thread

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Official Wii U Blows Thread

Post by Winnow »

Dakanaf wrote:Super smash bros, Mario 3d, super luigi, Mario cart, donkey kong country, Zelda wind waker hd, scribblenauts coming! Young children love the wii u. Just because it's not for you doesn't mean it sucks, that's something a lot of people do not understand.
It actually looks like a romper room toy that fits in well at a Toy's R Us store so I'd imagine it would be good for kid games.

It just won't sell a bunch of units this generation. Kinect can provide some kid entertainment as motion controls work well for that stuff.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

$50 price cut!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I might pay 50 dollars total for one so that I could play the Earthbound re-release, but that's about it.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

A $50 price cut with a pack in game would be a good deal if you also got it on sale :P I could actually recommend that, although it would probably be best to wait until spring!

I think I have 8 WiiU games now, with 5 more to buy the rest of the year as they are released. I still think it looks sad sitting at $250 next to a $200 PS3 and 360. A PS4 is only $150 more and I think the majority of people will just buy that instead.

But man, the WiiU exclusives are fucking great.

Wonderful 101 sold 11k units it' first week on sale in Japan. That is a record bomb. It's an ultra bomb.

The WiiU will continue to be a burden on Nintendo until they eventually announce a new console. I'll give WiiU support another 3 years tops. Nintendo absolutely cannot turn this one around. So, in 2016 I think Nintendo will announce a new system more in line with the PS4/Xbone.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Things that will help their next console:

- Get rid of the stupid Wii name
- Get rid of the stupid Wiimote and utilize a real controller. Gamepad as an accessory is fine

Luckily for them they're still printing money with the DS line.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

It's time to jump on the WiiU if you have any interest! They hit my magical number of 10 "must play" games (with more on the way), the price is right, the Virtual Console is up and running, and the OS has been patched with several huge improvements since launch. If you can get one on sale, I can highly recommend the system now. It makes a great companion to the next gen twins or a gaming PC. Or if you're like me and just want to play all the best games no matter what system they're on, you'll need a WiiU or you're going to miss out!

My 10 "must play" WiiU games:
Super Mario 3D World (GotY material - this game is amazing)
New Super Mario Brothers
New Super Luigi Brothers (an expansion / DLC for the first game. I bought it as a stand alone)
Wind Waker HD
Wonderful 101
Pikmin 3
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Lego City Undercover
Zombi U
Nintendoland

Upcoming WiiU games:
Mario Kart 8
Donky Kong Tropical Freeze
Super Smash Brothers
Bayonetta 2
X

It also plays Wii games with a bit better picture quality thanks to HDMI and a good scaler. It's not going to change the world, but the games do indeed look better.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Wii U is a pretty good console now. My kids love Super Mario 3D World. The game is really phenomenal. It's not necessarily great just looking at a level but taken as a whole package it is pretty amazing what they did. Most levels are totally different than each other not just artistically but mechanically. You're always doing something new. It is so great to play it with my kids in 4 player and just run roughshod over a level bumping into each other and messing around, but the experience in single player is just as good. Between that game and Skylanders it is the only console hooked up to my kid's TV now.

The UI in the console is definitely better than it was at launch. It is still a little slow but I guess it always will be. I will probably always look at this console as something to only play Wii U exclusives on so it will probably never be taken seriously. It is probably Nintendo's last machine, so everyone should get one.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

kyoukan wrote:Wii U is a pretty good console now. My kids love Super Mario 3D World. The game is really phenomenal. It's not necessarily great just looking at a level but taken as a whole package it is pretty amazing what they did. Most levels are totally different than each other not just artistically but mechanically. You're always doing something new. It is so great to play it with my kids in 4 player and just run roughshod over a level bumping into each other and messing around, but the experience in single player is just as good. Between that game and Skylanders it is the only console hooked up to my kid's TV now.

The UI in the console is definitely better than it was at launch. It is still a little slow but I guess it always will be. I will probably always look at this console as something to only play Wii U exclusives on so it will probably never be taken seriously. It is probably Nintendo's last machine, so everyone should get one.
Swap Force and Lego Marvel are both excellent. My kids love them.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

kyoukan wrote:Wii U is a pretty good console now. My kids love Super Mario 3D World. The game is really phenomenal. It's not necessarily great just looking at a level but taken as a whole package it is pretty amazing what they did. Most levels are totally different than each other not just artistically but mechanically. You're always doing something new. It is so great to play it with my kids in 4 player and just run roughshod over a level bumping into each other and messing around, but the experience in single player is just as good. Between that game and Skylanders it is the only console hooked up to my kid's TV now.

What a difference a single game can make. I think it will help move some consoles. It seems like almost every level has a gameplay gimic that never gets overused. This particular Nintendo team is unafraid to toss aside mechanics every other level that other developers might use to build an entire game around. You never know what the next level is going to bring. Hats off to this team. They are also responsible for Mario Galaxy 1&2!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I think 3d World will move some units but that will pale in comparison to the sales bump this thing will get once the next Mario Kart comes out.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Traded in my PS3 today and put the cash towards a Pre-owned Wii U today. Walked out with a 32GB unit for about 170$ out of pocket with their additional 1 yr warranty.

Crack opened the box and it also ended up being one of the Zelda limited edition with the fancy decorated controllers.

The thing took a while to setup however between the patching, the accounts, setting up my kids accounts etc.

Downloaded a few demos but we don't have any games yet. My son wants 3D worlds pretty badly though.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

That seems like a bad trade. PS3 > Wii U! You should have traded in a 360 instead.

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Animalor wrote:Traded in my PS3 today and put the cash towards a Pre-owned Wii U today. Walked out with a 32GB unit for about 170$ out of pocket with their additional 1 yr warranty.

Crack opened the box and it also ended up being one of the Zelda limited edition with the fancy decorated controllers.

The thing took a while to setup however between the patching, the accounts, setting up my kids accounts etc.

Downloaded a few demos but we don't have any games yet. My son wants 3D worlds pretty badly though.
The WiiU has the slowest release schedule of any console I have ever owned. 6 months after I posted the list above and only a single game has come out worth buying for the WiiU, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze.

Mario Kart 8 will be out May 30th, another 2 months form now. Ugh.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Aslanna wrote:That seems like a bad trade. PS3 > Wii U! You should have traded in a 360 instead.
Wasn't a call on quality, just use and investment. XBLA investment is substantial and the PS3 just wasn't getting played.

Once Mario Kart 8 comes you, the Wii U will get the Shit played out of it.
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

Wii U > ps4 + xbox one, for the right demographic.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Dakanaf wrote:Wii U > ps4 + xbox one, for the right demographic.
Atari 2600 > all consoles, for the right demographic.

--
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

Aslanna wrote:That seems like a bad trade. PS3 > Wii U! You should have traded in a 360 instead.
Clearly wasn't a bad trade for his situation!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor has an Xbox One. Any other dedicated gaming consoles owned are just for shits and giggles. Xbox One has access to Netflix so there's no real reason to have a PS3 or PS4 along with it unless you like wires hanging off the front of your consoles. Maybe next year, when Morpheus is introduced, the PS4 will be a good second console if Microsoft doesn't counter with something similar.

I didn't mention Nintendo because that's really just for young kids which Animalor has. It's reason for being is to keep the kids busy while you do real gaming on the Xbox One.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:Animalor has an Xbox One. Any other dedicated gaming consoles owned are just for shits and giggles. Xbox One has access to Netflix so there's no real reason to have a PS3 or PS4 along with it unless you like wires hanging off the front of your consoles. Maybe next year, when Morpheus is introduced, the PS4 will be a good second console if Microsoft doesn't counter with something similar.

I didn't mention Nintendo because that's really just for young kids which Animalor has. It's reason for being is to keep the kids busy while you do real gaming on the Xbox One.

Super Mario 3D World is better than anything released so far on the Xbone or PS4!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Super Mario 3D World is better than anything released so far on the Xbone or PS4!

Sure it is! I see millions and millions of people flocking to buy Wii Us, the successor to the most successful game console in the world because of Super Mario 3D world. Nintendo needs to give up the hardware game and release their titles on the PS4, Xbox One and PC and even on tablets and phones. They could just stream their games. Their "gamer" controller is just like the xbox controller so maybe do a deal with them.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:

Sure it is! I see millions and millions of people flocking to buy Wii Us, the successor to the most successful game console in the world because of Super Mario 3D world. Nintendo needs to give up the hardware game and release their titles on the PS4, Xbox One and PC and even on tablets and phones. They could just stream their games. Their "gamer" controller is just like the xbox controller so maybe do a deal with them.
If you did what everyone else was doing you would get rid of your Xbone and only play your PS4.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
If you did what everyone else was doing you would get rid of your Xbone and only play your PS4.
How would I have access to the best console exclusives then?

best exclusives + all the multi console games minus a few fps > hardly any exclusives + couple fps

Xbox controller > PS4 Controller (joystick placement is everything as well as the better triggers on the Xbox Controller)

When I have played my PS4, I played DC Universe and Warframe. A 3 year old game and game available on the PC.

I still play Forza 5. Played it today. If I had to go and and buy an Xbox One/PS4 game today, it would be Titanfall.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Winnow wrote:How would I have access to the best console exclusives then?
By purchasing a WiiU.
Last edited by Fairweather Pure on April 6, 2014, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

One quick little bitch about Nintendo's policies. They allowed me to transfer my Wii Games and saves from my old Wii to the new unit. The problem is that the Virtual Console stuff is stuck in the Wii Emulator, it isn't playable on the WiiU side of things or the gamepad. If I want to get those versions, I need to re-buy at a discount (approx 80% off but still...)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Animalor wrote:One quick little bitch about Nintendo's policies. They allowed me to transfer my Wii Games and saves from my old Wii to the new unit. The problem is that the Virtual Console stuff is stuck in the Wii Emulator, it isn't playable on the WiiU side of things or the gamepad. If I want to get those versions, I need to re-buy at a discount (approx 80% off but still...)
All of Nintendo's back end stuff is pure garbage. All of it. It's a crying shame too. At least they offer BC though. I have played a lot of my Wii games on the WiiU. I didn't even transfer my Wii saves. I'll just start over any Wii games I want to play.

Great games though. Nintendo has timeless classics and continues to make more. Pretty incredible, but I wish they would get their online and back end in order. They just recently merged wiiU and 3DS profiles under a single account.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Mario Kart 8 reviews are out and it's doing great.
89% on metacritic and it's about 32 reviews in.

If there's a game that will turn the Wii U around and move hardware, this will be it imo.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I seriously doubt a casual party game will be what changes anyone's mind on this console. The handful of first party Nintendo games just aren't enough to justify a console purchase.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Woefully, the single-player, which is structured like recent Mario Kart games, is brief and boring, focused on making you replay cups at different difficulty levels to unlock every character.
The biggest bummer of all is Battle mode. Instead of featuring arenas, you can choose between eight modified regular courses. The foundation is sound, as it becomes more of a jousting match as you circle around the course attacking other players, but the lack of an on-screen map makes finding other players difficult on the large circuitous tracks.
The final package ends up feeling like someone who covers themselves in makeup to hide the fact that they are 10 years older than they are pretending to be.
Overall it looks good for what it is. I doubt it will save the console though.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Looks nice but boring to me. And that's nothing to do with the Wii U I just don't get the appeal of Mario Kart. My assumption is that most people who care about MK already have the console but I'm sure it will see some sort of bump in sales for a week or two.

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

This is all my kinds have been talking to be about for a month now and at their daycare, it's THE thing.

The get to bring a toy in every Friday and it's essentially become 8-player MK7 tournaments on their 3DS'es. It's all sorts of madness for them right now.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I guess that explains it. I graduated from daycare decades ago. I'm not the target demo!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

In daycare back in my day, the big deal was getting a visit from the local fire department, riding the fire engine and then getting a cool firefighter plastic hat.

Back to Mario Karts. Too bad the average gamer age is in their mid 30's now and not 10 years old or Mario Kart would rule. That's what Nintendo doesn't understand. The average age of gamers gets higher every year. We are the first generation of console/pc gamers and are still playing. Nintendo caters to a smaller and smaller niche (young kids) and can't stop making their consoles look like romper room toys.
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

Yet why do you think that every version of the DS they make sells so well? Do you not understand that there is a market for these types of games if you choose to ignore them or not? Animalor just explained it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Dakanaf wrote:Yet why do you think that every version of the DS they make sells so well? Do you not understand that there is a market for these types of games if you choose to ignore them or not? Animalor just explained it.
There's a market, it's just not as big as the market Sony and Microsoft are targeting. I don't care about portables. VR devices will rule that area a few years down the road.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Dakanaf wrote:Yet why do you think that every version of the DS they make sells so well? Do you not understand that there is a market for these types of games if you choose to ignore them or not? Animalor just explained it.
Not sure why you're such a defensive, crybaby bitch about any negative comment made regarding Nintendo. The Wii U has sold like shit, this game won't change that. Nintendo either needs to abandon this niche market you are championing and join the big boys, or they might as well stick to handhelds, because their piece of the home console market will be basically zero by next gen.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

MK 8 will make a small bump, as will Smash Brothers and Zelda. They will all be absolutely fantastic games. However, just by looking at the WiiU sales data, only an extremely small percentage of gamers will ever even play them. Nintendo is losing the mind share, which has always been one of their aces in the hole.

The system is fantastic and has more (and better!) exclusives that the PS4 and Xbone combined. However, it won't stop the WiiU from basically becoming a collector's item in the future. The system has sold extremely bad.

I'm not sure what Nintendo can do to turn it around other than more price drops perhaps. If someone wanted to play Mario, they'd have bought one by this point.

The list of WiiU console exclusives continues to grow, slowly but surely though. I'll be getting MK8 but skipping Brawl. Bayonetta 2 is a must buy and so is "X".

Between all 3 consoles there are plenty of great games to play. I would miss not having all of the consoles for that very reason.
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

I made a few posts in this thread just pointing out that there is still a demographic for what they are selling for and that makes me a defensive, crybaby bitch? Okay, buddy.
They need to change something to compete with Sony and Microsoft. Or they have their own demographic to go after, which is quite smaller. It's sad that they may not make another console because of it. Maybe they will stick to handhelds and become a publisher for the other consoles. The market will decide.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Dakanaf wrote: It's sad that they may not make another console because of it. Maybe they will stick to handhelds and become a publisher for the other consoles. The market will decide.
It would not be sad if they stopped making consoles and became a published of their well known franchise series on other platforms. Everyone would win. You'd be able to play their games on better platforms and more people would have access to them. They would sell many more copies at a higher profit. Blizzard makes no consoles and they're not hurting for money.

The issue with Nintendo is that they have a lot of cash and it seems like those in charge just want to fuck around with what they like to do even if it isn't the best thing for the company. It's a publicly held company so eventually they'll be pressured into doing what they should have a long time ago (make their popular games available on other platforms).

Microsoft - has more money than god (so does Apple and a few oil companies) and had the ability to adapt/change quickly
Sony - recently has been making huge efforts to turn their company around
Nintendo - slowly fading away when they don't have to

Nintendo is the odd man out if they don't change and I don't see change happening. At least Microsoft can make monster changes in a very quick period of time to compete.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Dakanaf wrote:I made a few posts in this thread just pointing out that there is still a demographic for what they are selling for and that makes me a defensive, crybaby bitch? Okay, buddy.
They need to change something to compete with Sony and Microsoft. Or they have their own demographic to go after, which is quite smaller. It's sad that they may not make another console because of it. Maybe they will stick to handhelds and become a publisher for the other consoles. The market will decide.
I can see their next hardware effort being a combined handheld/console type of device. If they focused all of their software development teams onto a single device, they could kick out about a game a month.

Nintendo isn't going anywhere. They are still sitting on piles of cash.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:
Dakanaf wrote: It's sad that they may not make another console because of it. Maybe they will stick to handhelds and become a publisher for the other consoles. The market will decide.
It would not be sad if they stopped making consoles and became a published of their well known franchise series on other platforms. Everyone would win. You'd be able to play their games on better platforms and more people would have access to them. They would sell many more copies at a higher profit. Blizzard makes no consoles and they're not hurting for money.

The issue with Nintendo is that they have a lot of cash and it seems like those in charge just want to fuck around with what they like to do even if it isn't the best thing for the company. It's a publicly held company so eventually they'll be pressured into doing what they should have a long time ago (make their popular games available on other platforms).

Microsoft - has more money than god (so does Apple and a few oil companies) and had the ability to adapt/change quickly
Sony - recently has been making huge efforts to turn their company around
Nintendo - slowly fading away when they don't have to

Nintendo is the odd man out if they don't change and I don't see change happening. At least Microsoft can make monster changes in a very quick period of time to compete.
Agreed. I'd tell you to not make a habit out of making valid points, but I know you won't, so it's all good.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Candy Crush earned more than all of Nintendo last quarter

Last quarter, it out-grossed all of Nintendo combined. That's right -- Nintendo, one of the most recognizable names in gaming, was out-earned by a single mobile title.

As reported by A List Daily, King pulled in $641 million over the past three months in its first quarter as a publicly shared company. By comparison, Nintendo earned $411 million. That's a 56 percent difference. King's mentioned in the past that Candy Crush Saga accounts for about two-thirds of its earnings, meaning that it was responsible for approximately $427 million last quarter.
Nintendo's really rocking the socks off gamers. A single mobile game app made way more money than the entire Nintendo Company.

It's going to keep sucking for a long time. Management is clueless and their console sucks ass. It would be nice if a worthwhile company would step in to make a solid big three in the console market.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Have you been drinking again?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Mario Kart 8 in the mutha fuckin' house!

The game is fantastic. It's beautiful, colorful, and polished in all the ways you would expect from a first party Nintendo game. Most of all, it's fun as fuck.

With the promo Nintendo is running right now: http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail ... 3N9Jb2VtRt I went ahead and grabbed Mario Party to play later since it's the only game I don't already own. Anyone interested in the WiiU or any of those games, it would be a good time to jump in for the price + games. Other countries get much better options IMO. I really wanted Sonic: Lost World, but oh well.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Yeah.. This game is all sorts of great and really pretty to boot.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Nintendo closing European HQ, laying off 130 employees

Nintendo will close its European headquarters located in Großostheim, Germany, resulting in several redundancies in its workforce. The Wii U and 3DS manufacturer will cut 130 jobs in the process at various European locations and will consolidate its German HQ to Frankfurt.

"Nintendo of Europe has entered into a consultation process on a number of changes it is intending to make to its European business which, in the long term, will better enable the European business to adapt to the rapidly changing business environment," Nintendo said in a statement to Games Industry International. The company posted a $229 million net loss last month in its financial results for the year (ending March 31, 2014). It shipped 6.17 million Wii U systems total as of then, well off its original projection of 9 million.

"These intended measures have not been made lightly and have only been arrived at after thorough analysis and careful consideration," the company continued. "The intended measures will sadly have a direct effect on some of the employees based in the Großostheim and Frankfurt offices in Germany and would lead to the release of approximately 130 permanent employees."
Wii U blows!