Assassin's Creed: Revelations - My annual stabathon!

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Assassin's Creed: Revelations - My annual stabathon!

Post by Animalor »

I picked up the game over lunch and it's now the longest afternoon ever!!! Given the dramatic end of the last game, I'm really chomping at the bit to start this one up.

This has been my Avatar for the last several weeks now..

Did I mention how much I love this series?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Assassin's Creed: Revelations - My annual stabathon!

Post by Fairweather Pure »

It is a fantastic series. I'm holding out on this one due to game overload and the fact that I haven't played through Brotherhood yet. Oh yeah, it's only 35$ at Best Buy on black friday!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Eh. I really liked AC2 (other than the insane amounts of feathers and treasures or whatever it was to collect) but I really couldn't get into AC:B and never bothered with the online aspect of it at all. Maybe I'm just burned out on AC so I think I'll wait for this to hit $20.

Same for Rayman Origins. I love Rayman but I hear it's a challenging game and I don't want to pay more to be frustrated than I have to. This really didn't come out at a good time imo (same for Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One) which is a shame since that probably means it wont sell that well and there wont be another. On the flip side it means I'll be able to pick it up cheap!

(Oh and I don't do Black Friday. That should really be outlawed or regulated in some fashion! I guess we need a few dozen more people to be trampled to death.)
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I played this for about 3 hours last night and it's highly enjoyable. They did an interesting thing with the Desmond sequences of the game and look like they'll really dig into his past and how he came to be where he is through some solid narrative.

Istanbul looks like a very beautifully build city in the game. I haven't made any of my own bombs yet however I've been exposed to a few given to me. There's smoke, concussive and tactical(distract/disable) explosives. The tower defence minigame seems kinda meh but I just got essentially the tutorial version. I don't expect much depth of gameplay here but then again I'm not a huge fan of TD games in general so hopefulyl I don't need to do this too much.

Collectibles and treasures are all back but there are unlockable sequences associated with these collectibles now so it's not a hunt just for the sake of it. There is a payoff.

Production values again seem through the roof here. I'm not exactly sure how Ubisoft is pulling this yearly cycle off but the quality is very high.

For this AC fan, the game does not dissapoint.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

They have a engine thats built specifically for AC. I'm sure there are also lots of structures/models they can re use and just slightly modify. Still impressive though considering what goes into the games overall.

Haven't played it yet, I'm trying to stay focused on skyrim for now
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I also believe they have like four teams around the world working on things. I read that somewhere! So massive resources were being utilized for this series so they could churn out 3 in 3 years.

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

The Opening credits had the following studios listed:

Ubisoft Montreal
Ubisoft Annecy
Ubisoft Bucharest
Ubisoft Singapore
Ubisoft Massive (quick search lists this one in Sweden)

5 different shops collaborating on a game is incredible
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Ohh. If you purchase this on the PS3, there's a free copy of AC1 on the disk. Extra incentive if you've never played it.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Wrapped the story up last night. Fantastic game if you're a fan. If you're not or found the previous entries repetitive, then this is probably not for you. The story answered a lot of questions but really didn't address anything around the how/why of the ending of Brotherbood, which I found dissapointing.

The way they weave the Altair/Ezio segments are really well done. The high point of the game for me. I still have some side quests to do and some others to get 100% sync on but I may consider doing those after I've takled some Skyrim.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Animalor wrote:Ohh. If you purchase this on the PS3, there's a free copy of AC1 on the disk. Extra incentive if you've never played it.
If only they added trophy support. That'd be more incentive. The 360 version has achievements how hard could it be to add trophies after the fact. Other games have done it!

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Played this somemore last night and I realize that there are many mechanics that I could have used that I never did simply because I didn't experiment with early. Most of them are related to the new bombs. When you get to Piri Reis in the game, do all his tutorials up front. They're a great primer on how to use the bombs effectively.

You may end up usings the same ones I did over and over again cause they're damned effective but there's a lot of fun to be had using different ones.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I got my order in for $35 on an Amazon Lightning Deal that sold out in like 30 seconds. It's not $20 but still not bad for something that just came out.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm sure fans of this series wont agree but I still think the controls are as shit as they were in AC2 (and maybe even the first one but I haven't played that yet). They haven't changed anything the game is the same it's just a different location.. They put shit all over the place so when you're running you jump up on barrels and places you don't even want to go and it's just frustrating.

The camera still shifts around when you loot a body. Why don't you leave me facing the same fucking direction?

And tower defense mini-games? Seriously? At least you can avoid those if you keep your notoriety low but then they also got rid of the wanted posters so the only option is finding a herald to bribe.

(I'm sure I will have more to complain about later! Like the bomb making which seems pointless)

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:I'm sure fans of this series wont agree but I still think the controls are as shit as they were in AC2 (and maybe even the first one but I haven't played that yet). They haven't changed anything the game is the same it's just a different location.. They put shit all over the place so when you're running you jump up on barrels and places you don't even want to go and it's just frustrating.

The camera still shifts around when you loot a body. Why don't you leave me facing the same fucking direction?

And tower defense mini-games? Seriously? At least you can avoid those if you keep your notoriety low but then they also got rid of the wanted posters so the only option is finding a herald to bribe.

(I'm sure I will have more to complain about later! Like the bomb making which seems pointless)
All valid complaints. AC feels kind of like God of War (or "insert annual series here") in a lot of ways. Taken piecemeal over time, they are great. If you play them back to back, year after year, I wonder why the fuck I'm playing pretty much the exact same game over and over. I still have to play through Brotherhood and I'm looking forward to it. I just think a new AC every year is saturating the market a bit. This is probably how people feel about CoD in a lot of ways.

Still, I love AC. AC2 was one of my biggest surprises of this generation and I loved every second of it. I was, however, ready for the game to be over when it ended. It was the perfect length.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

AC feels kind of like God of War (or "insert annual series here")
There's been 3 God Of War games in like 6 years.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:
AC feels kind of like God of War (or "insert annual series here")
There's been 3 God Of War games in like 6 years.
You forgot the 2 psp games, faggot. Hah...always wrong!

GoW Collection (2 games) = 2009
GoW 3 = 2010
GoW Origins (2 games) = 2011

That's 5 GoW games in 3 years. I own em all.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

If you want to argue semantics, there have been 10 Assassins Creed games in 4 years.

That's 5 GoW games in 3 years.
There is something wrong with your math.
God of War was released in 2005.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:If you want to argue semantics, there have been 10 Assassins Creed games in 4 years.

That's 5 GoW games in 3 years.
There is something wrong with your math.
God of War was released in 2005.
Next time you're sitting down to pee, take another look at what I listed above and see why I am right and you, as usual, are completely wrong. Technically, you can turn almost anything into an argument of semantics. If you do, technically you are a dick and no one would ever want to be around you. But hey Miir, keep being obtuse on purpose! It's a great quality on a msg board!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The difference is I'm not the one being an immature child.

You called me a 'faggot'. what are we in grade 9?
And seriously dude, having 'miir sucks' as your xbox live comment only serves to prove how callow you really are.

Grow up a bit.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Miir sucks is said out of love! I've gotten compliments on it from VVers!

I'll change it next time I'm online though, just for you :)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Would you faggots knock it off?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

To be clear... I don't hate the game I just really find the controls sometimes either non-responsive or just frustrating. Yet in reviews I read the opposite so maybe it's just me.

I don't see why the tower defense crap is in there. I was avoiding having to do it but after one mission my notoriety level ended at fully red and I had like 12 guards on me and I had to flee the area. Well they ran as fast as me and kept hitting me from behind so I decided to use the Arrow Storm. As soon as they hit the ground I was informed my dens were under attack. I thought it would be just one but no... it was THREE at the same damn time! So that was really an annoying waste of time to gain control of those again. This just doesn't fit into the rest of AC at all. Especially since even if you lose them you can still kill the captain and reclaim the area so I didn't see the point.

I've finished the rest of the game and just going through cleanup now before starting on the MP trophies which I hear are fairly reasonable unlike some of the dumb ones that were in AC:B. I think getting 100% synch on some of those missions is going to be hard though.

I liked that you got access to all the treasure maps early on in the game so the collectible stuff you could accumulate while playing the game which means there wasn't a whole lot to locate at the end. Also the items that replaced the feathers get added to your map when you do the eagle sense in the vacinity so just climb up high, turn it on and do a 360 sweep so you really don't have to go find an online location guide for anything.

There were some nice setpieces although at times it seemed they were trying a little too hard to be Uncharted.

Overall this would probably be a 9.5/10 from me if it wasn't for the (imo) flaky control issues and the pointless Tower (Den) Defense things. As those are (mostly) skippable if you pay attention and make sure you go into missions with your notoriety cleared, I wont take off that much. I also ran into a couple glitches where I was stuck in geometry and couldn't do anything and had to quit. Luckily those were fairly rare but still pretty disappointing to encounter and more than likely a result of trying to get this out on time.

8.5/10. More of the same with a dash of something new (but unnecessary).

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I am working on Revelations on PS4 now. The one thing I missed when I first played this, and complained about, is that you can make your dens immune to being attacked so you can skip the whole tower defense stuff altogether. I've now blocked that from happening so the only time I had to do the tower defense thing was during the tutorial. I can appreciate the intent in trying to add new mechanics but this was a miss in my book. Unfortunately I still have to do that sequence 3 more times so I can get the trophy but as least I no longer need to hunt down a herald to bribe every 5 minutes.

I think out of AC2, Brotherhood, and Revelations my favorite is now Brotherhood whereas it was previously AC2. I do like that they got rid of the glyph puzzles in Revelations since I disliked them in AC2 and ACB.

After this it's on to AC3!

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I wrapped up the Platinum for Revelations and now its on to Liberation!
Animalor wrote:I played this for about 3 hours last night and it's highly enjoyable. They did an interesting thing with the Desmond sequences of the game and look like they'll really dig into his past and how he came to be where he is through some solid narrative.
Unfortunately they based a whole DLC on this crap which focused on Clay. Well, that's not the unfortunate part for people who liked the Desmond sequences.. The unfortunate part is they tied two trophies to it that really suck where if you fail at any point you have to start the whole thing over. There is a shortcut for one so if you fail you can get back to the area in a minute or two and try again so it wasn't particularly terrible although the dialogue at the beginning where Minerva (Juno?) says "They must all suffer as we have suffered" was really fitting after the 20th restart.

I can appreciate them trying something like that but whoever came up with those two trophies was a real jerkface and it kind of soured me on the game in general.

--