PSVita

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

PSVita

Post by Winnow »

This video has sold me on at least buying a PSVita to screw around with the AR (Artificial Reality)

http://youtu.be/IEt1MpLuJdc?hd=1 (Artificial Reality)

Pretty cool stuff. PSVita looks like it has enough cool features packed into it that it's going to be worth owning. (back touch pad still seems gimmicky though)

Here's parts 1, 3 and 4 of the Tokyo Game Show Keynote focused on the PSVita (part 2 was the AR)

http://youtu.be/u1r_fCoeYK4?hd=1 (Games)

http://youtu.be/M8ovS3_tylE?hd=1 (Connectivity)

http://youtu.be/fHLAfRztF0k?hd=1 (PS Suite) (kinda boring but maybe Sony will get their SDK shit together finally)

Only thing better than this would be if Xbox had a portable device. Nintendo is complete CRAP. People owning Wii and future Wii U, 3DS, etc should be ashamed.

Previous PS portable was crap too but Vita looks promising if you take public transportation like Miir and want to play games.

http://youtu.be/kmp_rLSNMAU (480p) Video showing the UI, Video Player, Audio Player, etc) Touch not as responsive as IOS but seems ok.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: PSVita

Post by Fairweather Pure »

If you are into handheld gaming, Vita is the obvious choice over 3DS. It's still not even on my radar though.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

The Vita looks fantastic, no doubt about that.

I've come to the realization however that the last thing I need is another 250$ razor with 40$ razor blades.

I'd much rather spend that money for games on the home consoles I already have or for upgrades on my PC.

I'm also not much or a road warrior/commuter so the portability is wasted.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote:The Vita looks fantastic, no doubt about that.

I've come to the realization however that the last thing I need is another 250$ razor with 40$ razor blades.

I'd much rather spend that money for games on the home consoles I already have or for upgrades on my PC.

I'm also not much or a road warrior/commuter so the portability is wasted.
Oh, I don't plan on buy any games for it! : ) The trick is buying the razor and then buying one special blade for it that lasts forever.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

No real place for this article so I'll put it here! Nintendo's heading downhill fast. They have some decent games but for their portable market, it appears that smartphones, iOS and Android are taking over. Nintendo refuses to put their games on those platforms but sales for their portable units continute to drop since phones are much more convenient to carry around and the iPhone 4s is very powerful graphically. $3-$6 dollar games that are quality > $30.00 cartridge.

It makes me wonder about the Vita as well. I know people like their physical buttons and joysticks but it's becoming a niche market compared to smartphone gaming. The new Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone has a 4.65 inch screen. Vita's screen is only .35 inches bigger.

Apple is completely wiping Nintendo's popularity off of the face of the earth.

It was shortly after the release of the Nintendo 3DS that Nintendo had to downsize the price. Why? The iPod touch and the iPhone 4, which cost less than the Nintendo 3DS, proved to be a more popular gaming solution than any game that Nintendo game creators could whip up. No one wanted to buy $30+ game cartridges anymore. The future is here, and Apple saw that it would mean downloadable content would be the mainstream way to carry games with us.

The choice is clear. Do you want to carry around cases of game cartridges for your clunky Nintendo 3DS? Or do you want to be able to download and delete games on the fly on your sleek, slim iPod touch or iPhone? The consumers have made this decision, and it is shown by how Nintendo's sales numbers are draining as each sales quarter goes by.

Nintendo, the maker of the Wii, 3DS, DSi, and more reported that over a time span of just six months, they lost $925 million to the all-in-one mobile device maker, Apple. Nintendo is hanging on by threads. They hope that the upcoming holidays and promotions that stores will offer will help them sell their machines. They expect that through 2012 the Wii and 3DS will continue to fall victim to Apple's device cannibalization. With the iPhone 4S bringing a compact gaming experience that's seven to eight times better than the iPhone 4, Nintendo is going to have a hard time trying to sell their devices. Additionally, Apple's engineers keep making the iPhone better. Nintendo is already 3 steps behind and I don't see them being about to outpace Apple any time soon.

The cannibalization of the market is beyond the stretch of Apple, though. Nintendo sees Android smartphones as a massive threat to their business as well. Android phones have graphics capabilities that equate the iPhone, however the iPhone 4S is currently in the lead of all smartphones.

Nintendo has failed to cooperate with Apple, in that they have been encouraged to release their games on the Apple iOS platform. Games such as Mario, and Zelda. Nintendo sternly said no. While it may have been a reach for Nintendo, it certainly would have helped them rake in some revenue. With all of the iDevices out on the market, selling their games on the App Store would help with their upcoming debt problems. With addicting quick-sellers on the iOS platform such as Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, and Words with Friends, Nintendo will need to make an urgent decision. Maybe soon, Nintendo will see that there is no other choice but to come to peace with the saying, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em."
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Whoever wrote that article is terribly misinformed.
Nintendo had to downsize the price. Why? The iPod touch and the iPhone 4
No, because the original price point was too high and there was only one AAA title release in the first 6 months.
Since the price drop, it's only being outsold (worldwide) by the PS3.

Do you want to carry around cases of game cartridges for your clunky Nintendo 3DS? Or do you want to be able to download and delete games on the fly on your sleek, slim iPod touch or iPhone?
3DS cartridges only weigh a few grams and are roughly the size of a few coins.
You can also download and delete (crappy timewaster) games on the fly on your 3DS.

They expect that through 2012 the Wii and 3DS will continue to fall victim to Apple's device cannibalization.
What a fucking retarded comment. The Wii will be replaced in 2012 by the WiiU and how the hell do idevices cannibalize the market for home video game consoles?

I'm not trying to defend Nintendo, they have made some colossally stupid mistakes in the past year but despite that, I still game more on my 3DS than my iphone. Whoever wrote this article is clearly not a gamer an idiot.

Come this holiday season, the 3DS will put Nintendo back on top of the console sales charts.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Oh figures it was some moron posting on an iphone site.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The 3DS is a heap of shit. All it gives is headaches.

The WiiU looks outdated before it's even launched. It looks like it was designed by Romper Room for kids 12 and under. It garnered a collective yawn when it was introduced. It's barely catching up to 360/PS3 and coming out a year or so before whatever Microsoft and Sony dream up for their next consoles destroy it on specs and features. There's no new lame wii bowling motion controls to get your grandmother to buy one for you this time. Kinect and even PS3's snow cones are already better than WiiU. Even I can see the Vita is so far ahead of that 3DS thing in features and price with no headache inducing 3D screen gimmicks for a similar price point.

Nintendo has always been a company that's baffled me as to why it was still in business. I missed the Mario generation so I guess grown up kids still have a crush on Princess Peach or something.

Nintendo needs to convert themselves into a software only company and start developing for Microsoft, Apple and Sony Products, ditching their crap hardware which is becoming more and more of a joke each generation we see compared to the competition.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

ditching their crap hardware which is becoming more and more of a joke each generation we see compared to the competition
Yet somehow 3 of the top 5 selling video game consoles are made by Nintendo.
The DS is the best selling video game console... EVER

The 3DS is a heap of shit. All it gives is headaches.
The 3DS is actually a nice little device... it's just too bad it's got absolutely fuck all for games.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I thought the huge loss for Nintendo was due, in part, to the Yen?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote: Yet somehow 3 of the top 5 selling video game consoles are made by Nintendo.
The DS is the best selling video game console... EVER

Wal-Mart is the most successful store EVER! There's more Chinese than Canadians...so...they're the best!

Just because something sells well doesn't mean it's the best. Vita has sold ZERO units and it's already better than the 3DS

Weeee! WiiU was introduced June 7th. How'd the stock fare after that announcement?

The console looks like my C-64 floppy drive from 1983 and the controller reminds me of low budget eReader.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I would love some Mario Kart or Brawl on my iPhone, but it's unlikely I'll ever buy a dedicated hand-held gaming device again. My new iPhone is even displacing my old bedtime buddy (PSP+P3P) just because I can reddit, text and other such if the birds or words begin to frustrate me.

If Wizardry for the iPhone does not suck, you might as well stick a fork in Nintendo, because they're done, and the Vita might as well not even exist.

Not scientific and the sample size is only a dozen kids or so, but not one of my friend's children of the age for electronic gaming is asking for anything other than an iPhone this Christmas. And no, none of them have a 3DS yet, either.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

For the record, the PSP Go is pretty awesome, especially when you put some extra memory in there. I have 30+ game library on the thing and it has great battery life, especially compared to the prior PSP or anything Nintendo has put out. The main feature I like, and is missing from the Vita, is the ability to connect it to an HD TV and use a PS3 controller to play it like a console, so that I can play the buttload of RPGs on my home TV when I so choose. I might get the Droid phone that plays PS games instead of the Vita, because of that, and certainly will not be getting the first generation Vita.

Also, there will never be an XBox portable because you can't make portables out of last generation PC parts and the shooter frat boy demographic would never fit the target market of a portable gaming device.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

My kids are 8 and 4. Both have a DS. My 8yo saved up enough birthday and 1st communion money to buy herself a DSI XL. Both kids are happy with what they have and I hope and pray that I don't have to buy them something new before they are teenagers.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

hey hey, notice a trend?

Which platform do you think developers will favor? Tell me again how many units the DS sold and its significance?

The data shows the U.S. revenue for Flurry’s portable gaming category – a category that includes the Nintendo DS, the Sony PSP, the iOS platform, and the Android platform. It’s quite obvious that the Android and the iOS platform combined have taken the lead from Nintendo with 58% revenues in comparison to last year’s 34%. With the total U.S. revenue jumping from $2.7 billion in 2009 to $3.3 billion in 2011, the Nintendo DS, which held 57% during 2010 dropped to just 36% in 2011.

The veteran gaming companies - Nintendo and Sony - combined are being beaten out by the two relatively new competitors in the scene – Apple and Google. This year marks the first year where the new platforms dominate with the Android and iOS platform estimating to rake in $1.9 billion in comparison to Nintendo’s DS and Sony’s PSP, which are bringing in $1.4 billion.

Nintendo which had captured roughly two-thirds of the market in 2009 has seen Apple demote them to becoming the third of the market. It isn’t much of a surprise that investors were urging Nintendo to begin developing iOS titles but the veteran gaming company has been hesitant thus far. Sony on the other hand has been lagging further behind from the start and is currently putting forth its effort towards the new handheld device for 2012, Sony PlayStation Vita.

The biggest thing I feel Nintendo and Sony are missing here are low priced games that can be downloaded directly onto the device. While I feel that games made from Nintendo and Sony are more in-depth, it seems to me that more Android and iOS games are slowly heading in that direction. Where Apple and Google really come out on top is the low priced games that provide a sense of entertainment on a multipurpose device. I don’t think there is much of a debate that Nintendo and Sony will have to adapt to a similar strategy. We’ll have to see how things turn out though in the future.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I thought this thread was about the PS Vita
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Mmm pie...charts.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Should've named it PSPie
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm trolling my own thread!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Looking at that chart, Sony's actually held it's own pretty well with the PSP and that drop is something that could potentially be attributed to the platform's age and the fact that not many appealing titles (blockbuster, attention grabbing games) have been coming out for it in the last while.

Nintendo and it's publishers on the other hand, they are fucked...

What the figure fails to put into perspective is this: Does the iOS/Android revenue include only games? has the marget total revenue grown over the last 2 years?? There's a lot of critical data missing from that chart..
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Out of context sources with missing information are the cornerstones of the Winnow Troll post. And really, the whole market got fucked by a variety of factors (Japan earthquakes, Yen tanking, worldwide recession, ect) so I think any kind of sales figures are suspect right now. Plus, there is market penetration to consider, specifically anyone with a smartphone already has it due to its phone capabilities (unless its an iPhone /drumfill), whereas someone with a handheld purchased that seperately specifically to play games with and probably also has a smartphone.

On the subject of the Vita, I really want to wait for the version that lets me dock it with a TV like my Go can now, but the ability to play downloaded PSP games is a major plus, as my wife and I have a ton of these for travel distraction. With the emulator, I used to just carry around my droid, but the controls (even with the Motodroid KB model) are lacking, so the PS Phone might be something I snap up, but I need to see some specs on it before I give up my Motodroid (which has been a workhorse the entire time I have had it).
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Sony's PlayStation Vita sales were behind the pace of the Nintendo 3DS in its first two days on Japanese store shelves.

According to Japanese game-tracking firm Enterbrain, Sony sold 321,400 PlayStation Vita units during its first two days on store shelves--50,000 units behind the Nintendo 3DS, which sold 371,000 units during its launch period earlier this year.
In 2009, Nintendo's DS line generated 70 percent of all the portable game revenue in the U.S. Back then, Apple's iOS and Android together captured 19 percent market share and Sony's PSP had 11 percent share.

In just two short years, according to research firm Flurry Analytics, Nintendo's share has dropped to 36 percent and Sony has dipped to 6 percent of total portable game sales. By the end of this month when all 2011 portable software revenue is tallied, Android and iOS will have generated 58 percent of it.
"Portable console gaming no longer has a practical place in the current landscape of casual flick, drag, and swipe games," CNET's Jeff Bakalar wrote in a discussion on portable systems earlier this year. "There is no room for the 3DSes and Vitas of the world when all-in-one functionality is now more important than high-tech, gaming-focused mobile systems."

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Vita has a 3:47 minute battery life. Yeesh. Is it still considerd portable gaming if you play while plugged in on your couch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u4xyABA ... r_embedded
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Not surprising at all.
4-6 hours is roughly what you get out of a PSP Go or a 3DS.
Depending on if you have the WiFi on... for some reason the wifi is a real battery killer on the 3ds.
Can't really tell in the video if the Vita had the 3G/Wifi off or on.

I can't think of any situation where I've wished any of my portable gaming devices had a longer battery life.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I can. International flights (about the only time I use my psp).
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:I can. International flights (about the only time I use my psp).

iPad would make it!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I can think of several reasons to want a longer battery life, and kids are involved in most of them.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Who would let their kids play video games for 4-6 hours straight... I know I wouldn't.

Regardless, I'm one of the few people here who actually do a lot of portable gaming and in all my years of portable gaming, I've never once had an instance where I wanted longer battery life on any of my devices.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:Who would let their kids play video games for 4-6 hours straight... I know I wouldn't.
1 kid? No. Multiple kids sharing throughout the day? Yes. Well, I guess that's not possible with the Vita because it only allows a single PSN account per device. Wait. Why would anyone buy this thing? lol
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Again you show your complete ignorance of handheld/portable gaming.

Linking a Sony portable device to a single PSN account is nothing new.
A DSi/3DS has a single online account linked to the specific device.

Hey, I get that you have fanboy hate for anything Sony, but to nitpick stupid shit like this just makes you look silly.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Multiple kids sharing throughout the day?
You know you can buy 2 Vitas for the price of one ipad.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:I can. International flights (about the only time I use my psp).

iPad would make it!
You can buy 6 PSPs for the price of one ipad.
That gets you 30+ hours battery life :D
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

During its first week on sale in Japan, PS Vita sold 320 K units. The sales period tracked was just two days, so hopeful fans thought that perhaps the first full week would bring good news.

But the second week brought devastation – just 72 K units sold. [...]

Sony will likely be forced to cut the price of the PS Vita from 24’000 yen to well below 20’000 yen very soon. The upcoming US launch could be a true debacle for several reasons. Sony has decided to price Vita at $250, higher than the Amazon Kindle Fire. The hottest games like the latest Uncharted are priced at $50, while many other major titles are $40. The pricing seems delusional in light of the Japanese response to the PS Vita. The older PSP handheld console has been a bigger hit in Japan than it has been in the US market. The tablet and iPhone market penetration rates in America are higher than in Japan – consumers may well be more reluctant to splurge on expensive, proprietary handheld consoles. The launch of the Kindle Fire at $200 has changed the US consumer electronics pricing environment.

I believe Japan could well be the last stronghold of portable game consoles. Even though the 3DS stumbled badly during its early months, Nintendo revived the console with a steep price cut and nearly simultaneous launches of three major franchises near the end of the year. The 3DS should have been a surefire blockbuster in its domestic market – the summer softness in Japan may have been an early warning sign of the coming global portable market malaise. The disastrous second week of the PS Vita is the second sign. Sony clearly had some anxiety about the Vita’s launch – it built it massive early support via an extensive line of launch titles. Despite the fact that Sony’s PSP has been a big hit in Japan, the PS Vita is foundering badly out of the gate – the ancient and heavily discounted PSP outsold the brand new Vita by 40% during the Christmas week. Much is now riding on the Vita debut in the US market in February.

I argued last week that PS Vita could mark the end of the era of portable game consoles. There is no doubt that Nintendo’s 3DS is going to sell at least 20 Million units globally over the next couple of years. But the portable console market may now have entered an age of permanent, slowly accelerating decline. The true test of the industry is the United States, where consumers are embracing games designed for smartphones and tablets. The possible shrinking of the portable game consumer base would hit the runner-up Sony before Nintendo really gets mauled. The rot sets in first at the periphery.

Sony has approached the PS Vita launch in America with arrogance, pricing the console and games high while opting to debut the device during the slow retail month of February. Mobile app sales more than doubled during the Christmas of 2011 – solid triple digit volume growth. In the meanwhile, even in the Japanese heartland of video games, video game software unit sales are set to decline by double digits in 2011.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/terokuittin ... h-ps-vita/

It's been my belief that dedicated portable gaming is becoming a thing of the past thanks to smart phones. I think the Vita is going to have a rough hill to climb.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

There's no way I would spend $50 (or even $40) on a portable game no matter how good it is. The Vita definitely isn't for me and honestly I never had any interest in it from the beginning. It has some nice hardware but I never saw why it was getting the hype it did.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:

iPad would make it!
I was playing Infinity Blade anf NFS:HP on my ipad over the weekend.
After 4 hours, I had about 15% battery life left. So you're looking at about 5 hours of gaming on a full charge.
My ipod gets about 3 hours of graphics intensive gaming... and it get's pretty fucking hot too.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

miir wrote:Come this holiday season, the 3DS will put Nintendo back on top of the console sales charts.
In the week leading up to Christmas, the 3DS topped the sales charts with nearly 1.8 million sold.

For the month of December, the 3DS moved over 5.5 million units.
That's almost 50% more than the 2nd place 360.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:and it get's pretty fucking hot too.
A useful feature I imagine being up there in the frozen wasteland. Good to see you getting a lot of gaming in on your iDevice!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:
miir wrote:and it get's pretty fucking hot too.
A useful feature I imagine being up there in the frozen wasteland. Good to see you getting a lot of gaming in on your iDevice!
To be honest, I think the ipad/ipod pretty much blows as a legitimate gaming device due to the lack tactile controls.
I had a bit of fun with Infinity Blade and Hot Pursuit but I doubt I will ever play them again.

Puzzle games are the only genre I really enjoy on iOS.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I just played Mirror's Edge for iPad and it's one of the best "traditional" games I've for the device. It is really fun and everything clicks. If/when FF Tactics comes out for iPad, I imagine it will be pretty great as well. I also don't really game on my iPad except for puzzle and other "quick" style games. All the Popcap stuff is best on the iPad IMO. Just like Move and Kinect, when a game gets all the controls right, it's a great experience. However, there is a lot of stuff out there just shoe horned onto the device that can sour the experience real quick. If I had to list all my favorite iPad and iPhone games, there wouldn't be a "console" style game to be found.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I totally agree about Popcap games.
Their games suit the platform perfectly.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Games are still evolving for the IOS touch platform. For pure gaming I'd go with a Vita but I think in general, it comes down to convenience and when deciding what portable device to take, the multi purpose one will win out.

I like the Vita and will probably buy one just for the hell of it, especially if it can be hacked so I can watch Kyou lose its grip.

I've seen two different 360 type controllers for the iPad/iPhone. One blutooth and one simply plugs into the headphone jack. I'll find the link later but if I was going to game for a long session in an fps on IOS, I'd get something like that, which also has great potential for Onlive type gaming on iPad in a hotel room etc. Onlive really impressed me when I demoed Arkham City recently.

Vita > IOS for pure gaming but I don't think enough people will choose to spend money on a dedicated device. The maturing cell/tablet gaming option didn't exist as a competitor in the past.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

it comes down to convenience and when deciding what portable device to take, the multi purpose one will win out.
The ipod/iphone screen is just too small to accommodate onscreen controls. 25-35% of the screen real-estate is blocked by your bloody thumbs.
The only ios device that has even remotely acceptable gaming is the ipad. And you won't convince anyone that the ipad is a 'portable' gaming device.
I don't think enough people will choose to spend money on a dedicated device.
I guess you missed the part where the holiday 3DS sales blew all other console sales out of the water.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
I don't think enough people will choose to spend money on a dedicated device.
I guess you missed the part where the holiday 3DS sales blew all other console sales out of the water.
I saw it clearly. There were 59 Million IOS devices sold in the 4th Quarter, and same number of Android Devices, give or take a million. I'll find the Xmas sales figures later.

And we're talking mobile devices so comparing 3DS sales to a 360 or PS3 doesn't really mean a whole lot. I'm not so sure people wouldn't consider the iPad a portable gaming device. It's portable and it has games. If you mean pocket devices than I guess you'd have a case if you can shove 3SD and Vitas into big pockets. Seems like it would be kind of uncomfortable.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

If a gaming device can't fit in your pocket, it can't really be considered portable.
Unless you're a hipster, a 3DS or Vita will fit in your pockets just fine.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I almost bought a 3DS during Boxing Week for 129$ but I remembered now little I used the last DS and decided to swing that money to debt reduction instead. I'm interested in the Vita however as I really enjoyed the PSP and played a ton of it. I just have doubts a library of games will materialize outside of Japan.
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

Stupid question, but can I purchase PSP games that I missed on PSN and run them on Vita? That's the only reason I might be willing to pick one up any time soon, since there's not much in the launch lineup I care about. The hardware's sexy and all, but I need to be able to do something with it.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Yes.
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

Smart move. I totally skipped the PSP, and I'm certainly not the only one. Might have to grab one after all, since Canada has some decent launch deals.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Sony has told Kotaku that there will not be a North American version of the UMD Passport program, which would allow PlayStation Vita users to transfer their PSP discs to the upcoming handheld.

Sorry, Charlie!

--