PSVita

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: PSVita

Post by Niffoni »

Futureshop's website seems to be selling the $250 wifi version with a free 4gb memory card. Not bad since that was one of the main draws of the Canadian first edition bundle that sells for $300.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Trias
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Hamlas3r
PSN ID: Hamlaser

Post by Trias »

just buckled and scooped wifi vita, Lumines, 32gb mem card and official travel case.

i had a psp go and purchased a good amount of titles over psn, so i'm happy that i'll be able to transfer them over to the vita.

oh, hi.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

You know things are bad when your old portable is beating your brand new one. This week, Sony's PS Vita sold only 8,931. The PSP sold 14,804 units. The good news, I guess, is that Sony makes both handhelds. The bad? The newly released PS Vita continues to nosedive in Japan. This week it sold less than 10,000.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

My friend was at PAX East last week and he said the lack of Vitas was disheartening. He bought a Vita day 1 and brought it with him. He saw 3 total in 3 days. I swear to God, he went out and bought a 3DS and 4 games while at PAX East just because he saw so many of them. He also wanted the Mii exchange thing or whatever its called. He said he collected almost 500 of those Mii things after 1.5 days at PAX.

My friend's overall review of both systems was something like this:

Vita - Awesome, smooth, fun, beautiful, but flawed. His example was that the Twitter client is easily the best out of every device he owns (Windows phone/iPhone/ect), but when you click a link it opens in the web browser that is so horrible it makes the excellent Twitter client redundant. He was also pissed that he couldn't play against any of the 3 people he met at PAX that had a Vita because none of them had the 3G version and it doesn't have local wifi? Lots of little things like that drag what should be an excellent device down.

3DS - Played his 4 games, loved them all. Turned the 3D off almost immediately on each game. He said the Kid Icarus multiplayer was fantastic.

I honestly couldn't get a feel for which one he liked best. His 3DS was still pretty new when I talked to him. He really liked both of them though and he didn't act like he regretted either one of his purchases. Just like anything, I'm sure a lot of it is how much you use each device and for what purpose.

I played a demo Vita at Best Buy and thought it was ok. When they hit the 150$ range I would actually consider one if more games I like are available by then. A lot will depend on how it functions with the PS4 though. If they drop the functionality, I'll pass entirely. Meanwhile, my wife and I decided that we'll be getting each of the girls a 3DS for Christmas this year.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

it doesn't have local wifi?
You're a fucking moron
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I was scrambeling for words at the time of that post. I meant peer to peer.

The 3DS has automatic peer to peer with street pass. If you are near someone else with a 3DS, you can play games with them. Meanwhile, the Vita has it's version of street pass called Near. The difference being that you have to be signed into PSN to use it. Therefore, you must be online via wifi or 3G to play against other people. It's a small, yet massive difference. Sony should absolutely be able to provide what Nintendo does, but theY didn't for whatever reason. To put it in terms on how it effects me, my kids can play 3DS games vs one another on road trips but could not with a Vita unless I bought 2 data plans and had a 3G connection the entire trip. It's fuckin retarded. Another example is people at PAX being unable to play each other because there was no wifi on the floor where the convention took place. The Nintendo people were playimg games with each other and the Vita people were left staring at each other wondering why they bought Vitas.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

You really are clueless.
Adhoc on the Vita doesnt require being logged into PSN. It woks the same as the PSP.
The 3Ds wifi infrastructure is fucking garbage.

Really, why do you even bother commenting on portable gaming?
Are you that eager to make yourself look like a moron?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Near is nothing like StreetPass

Near is actually pretty cool... StreetPass is just a stupid gimmick that kills battery charge
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Wife got one and loves it, though the backtouch pad mechanic is pretty much a useless gimmick. Screen quality is incredible and the battery life is not as bad as people are making it out to be. Its probably the most action responsive hand held I have ever touched.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Seriously, how did Sony manage to fuck up the D-Pad on the Vita? It sucks nearly as much as what's on the 360 controller. Especially with the thumb stick right there as it sticks up more than the nub on the previous PSP so you have to go out of your way to avoid it.

Using the touchscreen can be frustrating as well. I could see it working on something larger like a tablet but the Vita screen is a bit crowded. For example in that Temple of Montezuma Blitz game... My hand keeps touching stuff on the right side while playing which stops you in the middle of the action. Plus the detection of what block you're trying to move can be fairly dodgy at times.

Overall as far as game playing goes I don't see a touch interface as generally being an improvement over traditional button controls. Definitely suited to more casual types of games. In which case there's no reason to buy a Vita. Go with a tablet and you'll have the added benefit of being able to buy games for 99 cents. $40 games? I could maybe see that for the big budget games IF the Vita had video out capability. The previous PSP had the capability (later versions along with the Go) so no idea why it's not here other than I guess to cut costs.

Speaking of costs... $100 for a 32GB memory card? $80 if you go mail order but even that is rather high. Is it any wonder Vita sales are struggling? It really is a machine with a bit of an identity crisis.

I also had high hopes for Remote Play. It's a cool idea in theory but little did I know that's pretty much what it is: a theory because there's not a whole lot of games, particularly new games, that officially support it. I get that games with crazy realistic graphics and 60fps might not be suitable but that still leaves a wide selection that would be.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

how did Sony manage to fuck up the D-Pad on the Vita? It sucks nearly as much as what's on the 360 controller
I've only really used the dpad for BlazBlue and found it to be pretty decent.
No comparison to how truly awful the 360s dpad is.
Using the touchscreen can be frustrating as well.
For some uses, it's excellent.
Mostly for gestures or single taps.
TOM Blitz has some pretty fucking stupid on-screen button placement, so I don't think that's a good example.
IF the Vita had video out capability. The previous PSP had the capability (later versions along with the Go) so no idea why it's not here other than I guess to cut costs.
It was cool that the PSP had it but the graphics looked just fucking awful when scaled up to a larger screen.
The Vita would be better but I can't say that's a feature I really miss.
$100 for a 32GB memory card?
Yep, that sucks.
If you are downloading movies and demos, it fills up quick.
They really should be half as much.
But then again, companies like Apple and Microsoft charge $100 for 16g memory upgrades on their portable devices, so the precedent is set.
I also had high hopes for Remote Play.
Eh why?
It was kinda lame with the PSP and is kinda lame with the Vita.
Even navigating the XMB is sluggish and choppy with a wifi connection.

On the bright side, some great new games are finally out for the Vita.
AC3: Liberation is just fantastic, Ragnarok Odyssey is a really fun Monster Hunter type game and Persona 4 Golden is out next week!
I haven't checked out Most Wanted, but it's getting good reviews.
Last edited by miir on November 10, 2012, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

D-Pad.. It definitely is not as good as the PSP D-Pad which is basically right off the PS3 controller where each button is its own little entity and there's generally decent spacing. Not so on the Vita. It may not be quite as bad as the 360 but it's close! I was trying to play some Lumines, which requires a lot of precise button hitting, and it was pretty bad where my piece frequently fell down when I simply wanted to move it left or right. Maybe it wouldn't be bad with more playing time to get used to it but the 10 minutes or so I spent was not a good first impression. I really think they could have done better.

Touchscreen - It works well for the system interface although it would still be better with full button control and the XMB. Yes you can enable an option that gives you some button control but you're better off just not doing that since you'd still have to use the touchscreen for half the things you'd need to do. Oh and as far as the touchpad on the back goes... That was really a pointless feature and hopefully most games will ignore implementing it where it's used all the time.

I was interested in Most Wanted but I doubt I'd play very much of it on a portable device. If it's like a typical Criterion racing game you're going to want a large screen to avoid running into randomly placed shit designed to make you crash every 10 seconds. I don't see any case where I'd buy a Vita version of a game if there was a PS3 version also available especially at $40. The cross-play some games have is nice but there's not a lot with that.

AC3L was ok but I've only spent an hour or so with the SP campaign. It really hasn't hooked me yet and the MP functionality? Why did they even bother.

To be honest I only picked one up mainly for PSP games. I still have a PSP-1001 but figured the bigger screen would be nice. I didn't even think the D-Pad would have been made sucky so even that experience has been ruined! I probably would have been better off just picking up a PSP Slim. It definitely would have been cheaper.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

AC3L was ok but I've only spent an hour or so with the SP campaign. It really hasn't hooked me yet and the MP functionality? Why did they even bother.
Hehe yea, the multiplayer is a bit... odd.

There's been a bunch of PSP games I've replayed on the Vita and they look so much better... especially the games released later in the PSP's lifecycle.

It's not without it's flaws, but the Vita is a solid portable gaming system.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

PS Plus will offer exclusive discounts and bonus features for both PS Vita and PlayStation 3 members. In addition to online storage for game saves, automatic updates and Trophy synching, PS Plus members will get access to the Instant Game Collection, a constantly updated library selection of games, starting when the PlayStation Store updates on Tuesday, November 20th.

Once you update your PS Vita to v2.00 and PS Store publishes next Tuesday, PS Plus members will be able to download the Instant Game Collection, which includes PS Vita games Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Jet Set Radio HD, WipEout 2048, Gravity Rush and Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack!, as well as (PSP) PlayStation Portable hit Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions.

Don’t forget that PS3 users with an existing PS Plus membership will be able to enjoy PS Plus features and services on both PS3 and PS Vita systems at no additional cost. You will be able to choose between the two subscription options — a three month plan for $17.99 and a one year plan for $49.99.
Honestly that's a pretty good deal especially if you're a current PS+ member. I'll give credit to Sony for really putting Xbox Live Gold to shame these days. However I'm not sure how much this will do to stimulate Vita sales. If they were smart they'd knock $50 off each model. And at least 20-25% off the memory cards but that will probably never happen.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Nice!

Been meaning to play through Uncharted:GA and Wipeout is one of my favourites.
PS+ is such a great deal.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Vita - Awesome, smooth, fun, beautiful, but flawed. His example was that the Twitter client is easily the best out of every device he owns (Windows phone/iPhone/ect), but when you click a link it opens in the web browser that is so horrible it makes the excellent Twitter client redundant.
BTW, they updated the browser in firmware 2.0 and it's supposedly much better now. Of course still no flash or video kind of support but I'm sure it's still better than what ever is on the 3DS!

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Thoughts? Best Buy and Future Shop has this bundle for 199$ until tomorrow. (This is a canadian bundle with no memory card.)

http://ca.playstation.com/psvita/system ... -wifi.html
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

That's a tough call.

3G is pointless.
The games aren't very compelling (GR is a PS+ freebie and U13 is meh)
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Lacks a memory card as well. Didn't realize that one was so ho-hum. Considering the white, AC:Liberation bundle.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

AC3:L is actually a pretty fun game.

Definitely consider getting PS+ if you do pick up a Vita. There's some great deals and tons of (good) free games.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I'm such an AC nerd that I loved even the bad ones.

I also really want to play Persona 4 Golden. I LOVED P3P and really want more of that.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

If it has at least 2-3 games you want to play I think that is justification enough.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Animalor wrote:I'm such an AC nerd that I loved even the bad ones.

I also really want to play Persona 4 Golden. I LOVED P3P and really want more of that.
I'm about 55 hours into P4G... have enjoyed every minute of it.
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

65 hours into P4G. It's a sickness.

I love my Vita, but ONLY because I've been using it mostly to digitally purchase old PSP games I missed, and older cheap stuff I want to play on the go. I've spent a ton of time with the device itself, but in truth, P4G is only the third Vita-native game I own on it. If I'd picked it up having already built a library of PSP games, I'd probably be less pleased with it.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Speaking of overpriced memory cards.. Sony has the 4, 8 and 16 GB on sale. The 32GB as well but it's out of stock so that's not helpful. The 16 is $36 so I might pick one of those up. I have a few 4GB but they're not too useful if you don't want to keep changing them in and out. Not to mention you have no idea what's on which one without putting it in.

Edit: The 16 doesn't say out of stock but once you add it to cart it tells you "16GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card PSV22040 is currently not available". Thanks Sony!

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Traded in a bunch of old stuff at EB that came up to about 230$ today. Bought the 32gb card and P4G. Also got the Crystal White AC3:Liberation bundle yesterday. Nice device =)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Seeing as how you also have a PS3 I'd suggest, as did miir, that if you don't have PS+ then go out and procure that. Even if one doesn't like the "renting" aspect, which personally doesn't bother me, they still have decent deals on stuff you can buy that doesn't stop working when you are no longer +. The addition of PSP/Vita titles really made PS+ a lot more appealing to those who own both devices.

For example Sound Shapes is on sale now for $7.35 for both PS3 and Vita versions although I don't really understand that since if you buy the PS3 version you get the Vita one free. Although I guess to buy the PS3 version you need to have a PS3 so I imagine it's for people who only have a Vita. Anyway I've been thinking about getting that as it got some decent reviews. It sounds like the difficulty ramps up to frustrating levels though so that's the main thing holding me back.

At the moment Jetpack Joyride is free for PS3 and Vita and doesn't require +. I really don't like how the Vita version they don't offer the ability to use the X button as well which works fine in the PS3 version btw. You have to use touch which to me feels gimmicky and not nearly as precise. I could see on a device like iPad with no real controls but there's no excuse on the Vita to force people into only one way. Especially when it's only one button wtf. Anyway it's just a casual game so not a real big deal I guess but it is a good example of poor control implementation!

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Oh yeah. I bought 3 months worth yesterday. It's a pretty slick service. Started Golden Abyss tonight before it expires.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It wont expire for three months! Also I'd suggest "purchasing" all the free stuff so that it gets added to your download list. This is probably easier from the PS3 since you can do PS3 and Vita titles at the same time whereas in the store on the Vita you don't see PS3 items. Then even if the games rotate out of the Instant Game Collection you can still download them if you want at a later time. But will still require + at that time to download them of course.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Yep, if you have any desire to play any of the PS+ 'free' games in the future, tag them as 'purchased'
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Great advice.. Thanks =)

Oh.. and Uncharted: Golden Abyss.. OMG..

Apps had made me forgot that mobile gaming could be this satisfying.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

AC3: Liberation is all sorts of awesome. It's odd but I'm enjoying this more than I enjoyed AC3.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Chronovolt is the newest free title added to PS+. I haven't played it yet but looks like a Marble Madness with a Prince of Persia-ish time rewind mechanic. Probably good for a few hours entertainment, and a few easy trophies, at least.

I still haven't managed to get back into AC3:L.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Chronovolt is a dreadful little game.
It's like they half finished the game and said 'fuckit, lets just release it as-is'

Levels look and feel unfinished, it lags out at random, has annoying click-through text bubbles pop up at the most inopportune times, stupid camera controls... and it's just not any fun.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I tried Chronovolt briefly yesterday. It's a cute little game. It's a bit more casual than I like but I may play it on and off.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:Chronovolt is a dreadful little game.
It's like they half finished the game and said 'fuckit, lets just release it as-is'

Levels look and feel unfinished, it lags out at random, has annoying click-through text bubbles pop up at the most inopportune times, stupid camera controls... and it's just not any fun.
I played the first 3 levels and was annoyed by the dialogs. Especially on levels I was retrying for 3 stars. I've already read this omg stop showing it to me!

The "loss" animation (or whatever) is especially disappointing. The rock could like.. shatter or something instead it looks like it's falling through the world. Pretty sloppy on that. No wonder it's free!

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

So Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation is pretty fantastic. The system with the 3 different personas (costumes) works really well with different abilities and infiltration methods for all 3.

Everything here is presented as an Abstergo made video game. They really played this off well with smaller sections within the main game. I'd say it contains about 2/3rd's of the experience if a regular AC game. That's really good considering this is a mobile effort.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'll get back to it someday. They really should have left the "multiplayer" out though. It basically seems it was just another box to tick for the marketing people.

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

The worst part are the trophies associated with it. *sigh* I'll slog through the minimum to try and platinum this.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Animalor wrote:The worst part are the trophies associated with it. *sigh* I'll slog through the minimum to try and platinum this.
Yeah those are basically the only trophies I have gotten. I did that first since it was so boring and was easy to do while playing EQ or watching some TV programs. Maybe that's what put me off on the rest of the game. I don't remember how long they took but wasn't more than two or three days of casual playing.

Upcoming update tomorrow for PS+:
Stardrone Extreme
50% off for PS Plus members (Original price: $3.99; PS Plus Price: $2.00)
I was hoping that would go free eventually but guess I'm in for $2. I tried the demo and it seemed a bit interesting for awhile.

Oh and Darksiders free for PS3 people. Bah. Another game I already own. I'm sure miir will be thrilled!

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I used to own Darksiders on the PS3 once upon a time. I got it on the PC as part of the Humble THQ bundles a few weeks back.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

PS+ has Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus for the Vita this week.

It's essentially the Ninja Gaiden / Ninja Gaiden Sigma from early this generation ported to the Vita with some touch screen controls

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... sigma-plus

Worthwhile if you haven't played the original I guess.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Those games are hard so I'll pass on that. I'm trying to keep my gaming frustration to a minimum!

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

No kidding. Throwing a controller > throwing a Vita.

As an aside, those lucky bastards in Europe re getting Sleeping Dogs on the ps3 and Lumines:Electric Symphony on the Vita as part of plus this week.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Don't forget free games this week. You need to go to the store on your Vita to find them. No Vita games which is odd but whatever. Patapon is fun.
Wild Arms (PS one Classic)
Patapon (PSP)
Piyotama (PSP)
Patchwork Heroes (PSP)

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Massive sales spike after a price cut down to the level everyone thought it should be in the first place.. Imagine that...

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/03/06/p ... fa50000025
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I read somewhere else that the reason they can't, or claim they can't, cut the price in North America is due to the exchange rate.. Or something like that. Honestly I think cutting the memory cards by half would do a lot to spur sales as well. Also not sure why the 3G model is more than the Wi-Fi. Or why it's two different models to be honest! They should just have one that does both.

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I got the 32GB card with some of the credit I got from Gamestop with an armful of trades-ins. Wouldn't have paid full retail for it. Unless something truly appealing comes out, I plan on letting PS+ distaste what I'll be playing on it.

I'll be honest though, if a multiplatform game I wanted came out and the PS3 version cames with a cross-play Vita version, that would tilt my decision towards the PS3.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

On sale now at AT&T (What?). $50 for the 32GB card. $30 for 16GB. I picked up a 32GB. Good deal if they actually ship.

(Out of stock, now!)

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Best Buy has the 16GB cards for $30 for in store pickup. I got one since AT&T cancelled my order on the 32GB last week. Should be all I need for awhile.

--