PSN is down.. Could be 2 days till full service is restored

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

PSN is down.. Could be 2 days till full service is restored

Post by Animalor »

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/ ... sn-outage/
Sony Sr. director of PR wrote: While we are investigating the cause of the Network outage, we wanted to alert you that it may be a full day or two before we’re able to get the service completely back up and running. Thank you very much for your patience while we work to resolve this matter. Please stay tuned to this space for more details, and we’ll update you again as soon as we can.
That has GOT to suck for their network engineers..
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: PSN is down.. Could be 2 days till full service is restored

Post by Winnow »

At least it's free!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Couldn't happen to a nicer company. Even though it impacts me I hope it's Anonymous striking back!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I guess it would suck if it were the only console you owned and you just purchased two highly anticipated co-op games this week and you wanted to play them. Most people have another system or 2 to fall back on.

I have been wanting to play Modnation Racers again. I guess this is a sign from Dog.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I guess it would suck if it were the only console you owned and you just purchased two highly anticipated co-op games this week and you wanted to play them. Most people have another system or 2 to fall back on.

You really do live in some fantasy-land, don't you?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Anyone give a fuck about Geohot yet?

No impact...or impact on millions?
As you are no doubt aware, the current emergency outage is continuing this afternoon and all Sony Online Network services remain unavailable. Our support teams are investigating the cause of the problem, including the possibility of targeted behaviour by an outside party. If the reported Network problems are indeed caused by such acts, we would like to once again thank our customers who have borne the brunt of the attack through interrupted service.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Boogahz wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:I guess it would suck if it were the only console you owned and you just purchased two highly anticipated co-op games this week and you wanted to play them. Most people have another system or 2 to fall back on.

You really do live in some fantasy-land, don't you?
You don't believe that the majority of gamers have more than 1 method to play video games? You must live in Stupid-land, stupid!
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

This is starting to suck.. My wife and I were in the mood to rent a movie and the Zune Marketplace and Netflix didn't have anything that really inspired us (PSN is usually our first destination cause they have a great selection usually).. C'mon Sony. Fix this shit already.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Rumor has it that PSN is going to be down longer than first estimated. Any word at all, even rumor, on what caused this issue?
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Holy shit. They were hacked. They haven't disclosed if any user information was compromised. Hopefully the billing system was seperate from what was breached. I would HATE for them to have lost my CC information.

I'm kinda pissed about the lack of disclosure right now...

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/ ... gle+Reader
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I agree, but at least it's something. They are losing money everyday by not having PSN up, so I'm sure they're working as hard as they can. They probably won't do a full disclosure until they've fixed the problem and know with absolute certainty if people's information has been compromised.

Pretty big news though. I would be pretty pissed if the same thing happened to xbox, so you have my empathy!
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Anyone got any ETA on this Anonymous-Hackjob?

The whole weekend or?

What were their demands again? Free Cartalas?
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It's not Anonymous. Or so they've said. It's probably Sony themselves.. They broke something on their end and are blaming it on being hacked. Suuure!

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Officially this isn't anonymous the group however it may be a disgruntled member that disagreed wih the collective on not distupting the psn.

Personally Sony did the right thing shutting it all down to do the audit. Leaving it up might have made it worse.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Thank God Sony's taking the right steps!

PSN was a piece of shit to begin with. This will tip the scales for many, not including the die hard Sony meat lovers like miir, but for anyone that actually likes to play online games, XBox Live should already have been your choice and this makes the choice that much easier. (That and the huge difference in quality of controllers)

Think this will have an impact on next time Sony considers being asshats and going after hackers that are just trying to give users back alternate OS features taken back by from them by Sony? When you have a poorly coded free online game network, you should probably keep your lawyers caged vs the hacker community.

Notice some differences in attitude between Sony an Microsoft?

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... -7-hackers
Hack a Sony gadget and you might get slapped with a lawsuit. Hack a Windows phone, however, and you might get a T-shirt and a free phone from Microsoft.

That's the sort of treatment Windows Phone 7 hackers report receiving from Microsoft: warm embrace, a willingness to collaborate and free gear as if they're part of a new team.

In recent weeks, Microsoft representatives have reportedly met with Windows Phone 7 jailbreakers to discuss how they can support "homebrew" apps -- third-party software that doesn't require the approval of Microsoft -- in a way that benefits both parties.

"Microsoft is interested in further understanding the "Home Brew" developer community's perspectives on Windows Phone and invited a few members to our Redmond campus last week for an exchange of ideas," a Microsoft spokeswoman told Wired.com.

This friendly approach even managed to impress George Hotz, the youngster who gained fame as the first hacker to unlock the iPhone.

"Perhaps a more appropriate way to deal with jailbreakers," Hotz wrote on his website, linking to a story about a Windows Phone 7 hacker getting a free T-shirt.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Looks like they are rebuilding their security. Either someone owned them hard or caught them with their pants down.

Either way, sucks for people hoping to use the service or Netflix.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/ ... -services/
We sincerely regret that PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have been suspended, and we are working around the clock to bring them both back online. Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure. Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security.
We thank you for your patience to date and ask for a little more while we move towards completion of this project. We will continue to give you updates as they become available.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

What will bad is if they don't manage to figure out how they were hacked and get hacked again right away. Maybe the hackers will wait for another holiday to take down the service for maximum impact, or maybe when the next big name PS3 exclusive game is released. So, does having your free PSN network down for all of Easter Weekend + equal an impact yet?

Reposting the Geohot Rap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iUvuaChDEg&hd=1

"You're fucking with the dude who's got the keys to your safe"

Sony would have been better off giving Hotz a million dollars to be a security consultant. Apple would have given Sony the money to pay him just to give Geohot a legitimate job and maybe get him out of their hair as well.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Still no ETA on PSN. Sony is unsure if credit card information was stolen or not. Basically, no answers to anything yet.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I'm not too concerned if someone gets my credit card info.. the second I see an unauthorized charge, the card is cancelled.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary on my card either. ID theft is my main worry but here's nothing that can be done until Sony comes clean.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

I was actually bothered by it today....not because PSN is down, who cares, but because i had some issues with streaming from my PC to my PS3, and the stupid network test tool on the PS3 are like 8 or 9 steps, and the 3rd step are "connected to PSN", and when that fails, it stops the rest of the testing.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm kinda happy about it because I can leave my modem connected to my network while I update my PS3 without worry of it being updated with a new firmware. I was able to install MLB The Show 2011 without incident this weekend. Not a fan of baseball but that's a nice PS3 only Sports sim.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Bravo Sony. Here's the confirmation that personal data was compromised. Oh and the services will be up "within a week".

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/ ... -qriocity/
Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Jesus fuckin' christ sony. I am not happy.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

When it comes to security Sony has been a massive fail this generation. I wonder who they will sue this time.

--
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I cancelled my CC today and changed my password on a few services I believe had the same credentials.

I'm running a search on @playstation on twitter. The messages are pretty scathing overall.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Screengrab of sony's stock after the announcement.

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

ouch

lots of info potentially exposed
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Screengrab of sony's stock after the announcement.
That's kinda funny, but not at all accurate.

The blog post was made today before 1pm EST.... and what markets are trading between 4 and 6 est? :roll:
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

no idea if the image link will work but:

no such drop
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote: The blog post was made today before 1pm EST.... and what markets are trading between 4 and 6 est? :roll:

Extended Hours Trading. I make a few pre and post market trades during the year.
After-hours trading is stock trading that occurs after the traditional trading hours of the major exchanges, such as the New York Stock Exchange and the Nasdaq Stock Market. Since 1985 the regular trading hours in America have been from 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time.

After-hours trading on a day with a normal session is 4 – 8 p.m. EST.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The point is that a 1% change (either way) overnight is pretty much the norm and it occurred roughly 5 hours after the 'announcement'
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The admission that so much personal data has been compromised suggests Sony’s security lapse has been on a catastrophic scale and that the consequences may be far-reaching – not least when everyone starts suing Sony.

Meanwhile, Microsoft is apparently experiencing an Xbox Live outage of its own – because so many people are creating new accounts with them, their servers are experiencing some difficulties.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Now I'm not saying I like having my personal information compromised, and that sort of hacking is definitely against the law whereas 'jailbreaking' a console isn't, but Sony really put the target on their back themselves with their thugs tactics against geohot, graf and others. Now that's just speculation since they may have been just as hacked if those incidents had never happened but I guess we'll never know for sure!

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Could it be that those custom firmwares created and distributed by those guys are the tools that were used to hack into the databases?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:Could it be that those custom firmwares created and distributed by those guys are the tools that were used to hack into the databases?
I hope you're being facetious.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

There's a rumour going around that a CFW was used to to bypass some of the internal security measures.

Yes, it's a rumor but it sounds feasable.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Boogahz wrote:no idea if the image link will work but:

no such drop

hehe, image keeps updating as the one at yahoo finance updates. Guess it can keep being watched "real-time" :P
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:There's a rumour going around that a CFW was used to to bypass some of the internal security measures.

Yes, it's a rumor but it sounds feasable.
The closest that could have come to helping them do this would be providing them with the ip addresses to the servers that the information is stored on. They'd still have to hack into those servers and get the information out of the databases on them.

If you want to go down the road of feasibility, people that adept at being hacker douchebags would have been equally able to get that information on their own.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

They'd still need tools.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:They'd still need tools.

So the company that made the box cutters that the terrorists used to hijack the planes on 9-11, ...they're to blame?

They needed tools.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Sony's T&C's deny responsibility, but ICO suggests otherwise; £500k fine possible

It has emerged that part of Sony's PSN terms and conditions claim that the company is not liable for any loss of user data.

"We exclude all liability for loss of data or unauthorised access to your data, Sony Online Network account or Sony Online Network wallet and for damage caused to your software or hardware as a result of using or accessing Sony Online Network," the terms state.

However, speaking to Edge, the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) claims that Sony is accountable to stipulations outlined in the UK Data Protection Act which says that companies are obligated to keep users' details secure.

"While we are unable to say where the data is being stored at present, if it was in the UK, this clause would not free them from their obligations under the UK Data Protection Act," ICO stated.

"If we found a breach, one of the actions we could take would be to issue an undertaking, which is an agreement between the ICO and the company that if they are handling personal information they have to bring about set improvements in order for them to be compliant with the act.

"If the company is not compliant with the act within a certain time limit, further action would be taken and we might consider an enforcement notice or issue a monetary penalty.

"For serious breaches of the act, we can issue a monetary penalty up to £500,000."
Yeah this wont be helping with their PR distress anytime soon. "Sorry our security sucks too bad for you"

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The history of leaks:

2004 – Softbank – 4,500,000
2005 – Visa, Mastercard – 40,000,000
2006 – KDDI – 4,000,000 – AOL – 660,000
2009 – ALICO Japan – 130,000
2010 – AT&T 110,000 -
2011 – SONY – 77,000,000
Sony leaked more than all the rest combined.

Maybe people won't be so cheap and pay a few dollars for a much better Online experience with Microsoft. Hell, even I pay for Live.

Bad Controller
Identity Theft
Thrown together console with off the shelf graphics, severely lacking in memory...where did the textures go??
Worst Online service ever
Floundering company that likes to sue hackers which in turn gets your credit card info hacked.

With the entire world moving towards cloud computing and online activity, Sony is a complete fail while Microsoft keeps kicking ass.

At least Nintendo's next console will be HD.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:So the company that made the box cutters that the terrorists used to hijack the planes on 9-11, ...they're to blame?
Yet another stupid Winnow analogy. :roll:
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:With the entire world moving towards cloud computing and online activity, Sony is a complete fail while Microsoft keeps kicking ass.
So you can upload your Xbox profile and saved games and access them from any console?
Awesome!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:So you can upload your Xbox profile and saved games and access them from any console?
Awesome!

If you want your credit card info stolen you can!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The inevitable has happened. A class action lawsuit has been filed against Sony, following the security breach of PSN. The lawsuit alleges that Sony failed to take reasonable care to protect, encrypt and secure private data. Moreover, the lawsuit is hoping to gain monetary compensation for the loss of data, loss of PSN use, credit monitoring and more.
Well hey.. That didn't take long. I think the next dictionary update you'll find 'Sony' as one of the definitions for Karma.

--
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

no source and no clicky make homer something something