Dragon Age 2

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Dragon Age 2

Post by Winnow »

Holy crap. I'm unimpressed with the visuals of this game. Grabbed the full game.

Horrid Graphics

This game can't even compete with MMO avatar graphics much less other games that are focused on single player. This looks like EQ II level graphics (crappy)

Hair choices are worst I've ever seen. (Original EQ quality)

Bad voice acting

So far I've heard a mixture of random accents that are all bad

Still has the ridiculous blood on face look, somehow looks even worse than the original Dragon Age game.

It looks like a game from last decade visually

The UI seems alright. Looks like a lot of crap to do and character leveling so might be fun for the hard core RPG fans.

Sure is ugly. don't mind sub par graphics if there's some style to it but these characters all look blah and goofy.

Was so upset with character generator, I made some frankenchick that kinda scares me to look at.

How am I looking? Please be kind, I'm sensitive.

As ugly as it is, it still might be fun to play. These same people made Mass Effect 2? They must have assigned the "special" graphic artists to this game.

I'm just sayin...sure looks like uninspired art and voice acting so far.

Can't jump in the game...hate games that don't let you jump.

With the little I've seen, the characters also seem much less interesting than DA1.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: Dragon Age 2

Post by Canelek »

No jumping? What the fuck is it, Doom 2? The first one was actually pretty enjoyable, but it was pretty retarded as far as leveling. Solid voice acting and humor as well. Think I'll skip this one unless you got dumped by a developer and are just getting revenge. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Canelek wrote:No jumping? What the fuck is it, Doom 2? The first one was actually pretty enjoyable, but it was pretty retarded as far as leveling. Solid voice acting and humor as well. Think I'll skip this one unless you got dumped by a developer and are just getting revenge. :)
I've been going through Borderlands again from the start (because couldn't hack a level 50 game save) so I can check out the 4 expansions, so haven't played this much.

Will have to wait and see how the game play is. The art and voice acting is bad so far as well as the characters...not much attachment to them. People in my party are dying already as part of the story and it's like...so what? They didn't build up the characters to who gives a shit if they're dying.

Character models and that horrible blood splatter on their faces (you'd think they'd learn something from the first onE) looks bad.

It' is kinda funny to see my franken-chick get hit on as part of the storyline.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

On its own, the release of a high-resolution texture pack for the PC version of Dragon Age 2 wouldn't be that weird. It would just be nice for those PC owners with the gear to handle it. But this pack isn't being released years after the fact, when graphical display technology has improved and made the game look dated -- it's being released now, on the same day as the game.

In order to take advantage of the new textures, you need at least 1 gigabyte of video RAM, and BioWare recommends DirectX 11. You also need over a gig of spare hard drive space. You should probably clean your glasses, too, for the absolute highest visual fidelity.
Well at least maybe the PC DA2 players will have better graphics.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

All of the reviews I've read have been good, and none of them have said anything negative about the visuals. I bought it and will be playing it tonight, be back with thoughts.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Winnow, you are on crack sir. The visuals in this game are quite good and the textures are nice and crisp from my few hours experience with the game... They are also a good improvement from DA:O.

Perhaps the illigitemate copy of the game you got was a plant by Bioware, perhaps a crippled FU to non-paying customers?
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I have the PC copy, and it looks fine to me, and runs great on my aging 260gtx. I have no AA on though, but the rest maxed at 1920x1200. I do NOT have the ultra high resolution pack...just the high res pack that came on the disk.

It looks great in my opinion.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Demo looked good to me.
As usual, Winnow is full of shit.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I played 5-6 hours last night, and I'm loving it. The graphics are great in my opinion, there is a little stutter in the cut scenes every once in a while, but I can't think of many RPG's of this type that don't have that issue.

The dialogue is great, the story is good so far, cut scenes rock. The highlight though, is the combat! The combat in this game fucking kicks copious amounts of ass. It's really fast paced, but not just hack and slack (once you get outside of the first few hours). While you don't have to spend a bunch of time pausing to queue up actions for your other party members (you can, if you want), you have to pick a good mix of abilities to fit situations.

I am playing as a rogue, and loving it. The variety of talents in the different skill trees is really cool, and definitely lets you play the way you want.

I saved right when I got to Kirkwall so I could get the achievements for working for the smugglers, and assassins. I ended up going with the smugglers for the choice I stuck with, cause your sister doesn't seem too amused about the assassin's choice, and I figured people in general might look at me in a shitty light if I went that route, which would fuck up my plan to be a saint amongst lesbians.

Anyhow, don't listen to Winnow. This game pulled me in quicker than any other RPG in recent years, aside from Mass Effect 2, it's definitely worth your money.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The character models, animations, and voice acting are bad. The world/environments looked ok.

I've only experience the beginning of the story but the story/acting was pretty lame with accents all over the place. I've been watching a lot of Guild Wars 2 videos. I'm becoming a real fan of better dialog with less goofy fake "old world" accents.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

So again... you're basically posting opinions on a game that you haven't really played.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:So again... you're basically posting opinions on a game that you haven't really played.
For what I'm commenting on, you don't need to play through the game. Character animations, models, voice acting...unless there's a team 1 and team 2 that worked on the game...with some team 2 superstud voice actors replacing the scrubs halfway through the game.

dipshit
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The point is that you stole what was probably an unfinished or planted copy of the game and tried to 'review' it.. only to make yourself look like a complete and total moron.

The game is excellent, it does not look like shit, the voice acting is above average and you are massive fucking idiot.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:The point is that you stole what was probably an unfinished or planted copy of the game and tried to 'review' it.. only to make yourself look like a complete and total moron.
Are you serious? Unfinished copy? That's NEVER happened on a 360 game since the first cracked 360 game. They are always the final copies released for retail. lol at planted copy. OK there Mr Tin Foil Hat.

Perhaps I should play FFXIV some more. I'm sure my opinion would change on that stupendous game if I logged 100 hours on it. How was it at the 100 hour mark? You're still playing it I assume or have you quit swallowing your own shit trying to defend that crap ass game?
Winnow wrote:As ugly as it is, it still might be fun to play.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Well, you obviously played a different version of the game than everyone else because I have not seen a single complaint about the graphics.

And it's nice to see that you childish obsession with FF14 is still alive.
Why don't you take a look back in the 20-25 threads that you faggoted up and look for a single post of me 'defending' the game.
Can't find one, can ya?

Grow up or go away you little fucking child.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Weirdest thing though - Even though I have all my saved games from DA:O, none of them actually registered that I had finished the game. I used the one that was saved at the last battle but it filled in that last blank with the default storyline from the character generator defaults.

Looking forward to seeing what my save game brought back into DA2.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
Grow up or go away you little fucking child.
♫ I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toys R' Us kid.
A million toys to choose from, that I can play with. ♬
♪ From bikes to trikes and video games,
its the biggest toy stor there is. GEE WIZ!
♫ I don't wanna grow up, cuz baby if I did....
I wouldn't be a toys r' us kid! ♫ ♬♩♪♪....
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

More like Trolls R' Us....
Amirite?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Seriously Winnow, just knock it the fuck off.
Animalor wrote:Weirdest thing though - Even though I have all my saved games from DA:O, none of them actually registered that I had finished the game. I used the one that was saved at the last battle but it filled in that last blank with the default storyline from the character generator defaults.

Yeah, I hadn't finished the game so they filled in the blanks for me too. I just used the import feature cause I want the achievement :)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Who's trolling? I made comments on the game...no trolls and then Miir, as usual, likes to start with the flames and non game related comments.

Summary: Once again, it's Miir's fault!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Animalor wrote:Weirdest thing though - Even though I have all my saved games from DA:O, none of them actually registered that I had finished the game. I used the one that was saved at the last battle but it filled in that last blank with the default storyline from the character generator defaults.

It's not one of those games that makes you watch all the credits before giving you the completion is it? Also, check your gamerscore and see if you have unlocked any achievements for completing it.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

The Final Fantasy card has been played. That is this boards version of comparing someone to Hitler. Thread ovar!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Hitler loves him some FF..
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Wow, great game testers they have at Bioware.

Super easy level to 50 glitch:
confirmed this works like a charm. you can do this anywhere you complete a quest and it doesnt break into a cut scene. save your game right before you talk to someone. get out your weapon. quickly run up the the NPC. as your character automatically puts the weapon away, start to spam A. thats it. great glitch, good job man!
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/10/drago ... p-factory/

No sure why you'd want to level to 50 but I suppose it might be a good way to not have to grind if you need a level or so to beat the next boss.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Playing PC version, high res texture pack, loving it. There's a few glitches that are annoying; occasional slowdown to a crawl, especially during cutscenes, and character constantly leaving combat after being ressed in combat. But I love the style of it, hard is actually hard, and the voice acting is solid. Story feels a little unfocused to me, I was really perturbed by the fact that darkspawn are like the least common enemy. The revamp of the elves and kunari are just awesome, love em. Dwarves even got a bit of a style change, nothing as drastic tho. Equipment is a bit odd.. you can't have your companions wear armor at all, just weapons and accessories, then you find upgrades for their stuff. This leads to a lot of useless loot drops. A lot. I would have almost preferred they do the ME2 thing for the hero and just have him find upgrades for his armor you can mix and match with.
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

DA2 on PC is butter. Looks fantastic, and good thing too, because DA:O was a massive disappointment from a visual standpoint.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Just finished the game this evening. Ya know, up until the culmination of Act 1, I was pretty down on the game but act 2 and 3 were so damned strong and tied up so many loose ends of act 1 that the whole package left me in awe.

I'm still bummed that they recycled resources like dungeons very frequently but everall this left me seriously wanting more.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Animalor wrote:Just finished the game this evening. Ya know, up until the culmination of Act 1, I was pretty down on the game but act 2 and 3 were so damned strong and tied up so many loose ends of act 1 that the whole package left me in awe.

I'm still bummed that they recycled resources like dungeons very frequently but everall this left me seriously wanting more.

How long did it take to beat?
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I took my time and did all the quests. Probably about 30-40 hours. I do plan on going back in tough. Maybe with a warrior next time.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

*duplicate*
Last edited by Animalor on March 20, 2011, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'm still only mid way through act 3, and I'm not sure how long it's taken me cause I've left the game sitting idle a lot, but I'd imagine I'm over 50 hours so far. But I've done every quest, scoured every corner of every area in each act, gone for all the achievements, etc.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

40$ on Amazon today. I'm tempted to grab it!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Doooooo eeeeeeeeettt!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Wait a month or two.. Get it for $20! Unless you really have an abundance of free time.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Aslanna wrote:Wait a month or two.. Get it for $20! Unless you really have an abundance of free time.
Yeah, this is probably what I'll do mainly because I haven't beaten the first one yet. We'll see if there are any other goldbox deals today worth grabbing. A cheap Homefront would be nice.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

You'll have more fun in the first 20 minutes of Dragon Age than you will playing Homefront for a year. I didn't finish Dragon Age Origins either, I might eventually, but the necessity to pull up the radial menu and plan out every little move for each of your members isn't my style, it's tedious and boring, especially when they still don't behave the way I want them to.

The second one is a far better game in every respect, in my opinion. Of course, if you are the type that gets some sense of satisfaction out of spending more time in a menu than actually playing the game, you might not agree. You might also want to seek help.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Finished my first playthrough last night, awesome game! I started my second playthrough as a warrior, and realized I didn't want to ALWAYS have to have a rogue in my party, and didn't want to miss treasure chests and stuff, so I think I'm just going to play as a rogue again for my second time.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Great textures! :D

Last edited by Kwonryu DragonFist on March 24, 2011, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Game is definitely crap for textures and character animations. Surprise! We learned that in the first post!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Lol, the game looks nothing like that, unless maybe you're playing it on a pc that's under the minimum system requirements. We get it winnow, move on and let the people that are playing the game discuss it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

lol
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I really want to start stalking you around to every thread where you post about something you enjoy and do everything I can do to take you down a peg, but I can't bring myself to do it because I don't want to make things less enjoyable for the other people here... Don't know how you do it.. Oh wait, yes I do, it's because you're a douchebag.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

If you really try, you can get the game to look as bad as that on PC.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:If you really try, you can get the game to look as bad as that on PC.
:lol:

I literally laughed out loud when I saw the screenshots in Kwon's post.. I have yet to see a jagged edge in the game, and I've played it for ever 60 hours.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Winnow wrote:Image

lol
'
But is it better than Final Fantasy XIV?
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hesten wrote: '
But is it better than Final Fantasy XIV?
It's not better than FFXIV if you're referring to the textures and animations. FFailure games at least have eye candy.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Dunno what you're talking about, looks great on PC with high res textures.
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

I think Winnow must be trying to run it on his iPad.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Niffoni wrote:I think Winnow must be trying to run it on his iPad.
Now that's a good comeback : ) Take notes people!
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

I just played through this a 2nd time (first time on normal diff as a rogue, 2nd time hard as a warrior) and starting a 3rd on nightmare now as a mage. I honestly love this game. I ordered DA:O + the expansion and all the DLC in a combo for $20 right after I beat DA2 and I can't really get into it. I guess I was spoiled by graphics and fighting speed in DA2. DA:O seems clunky and slow. I'm still going to play it through as so many people told me it is the better of the two...but I just was not impressed.

I can't wait for DA3 though, and the DLC for DA2.