Dead Island

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Re: Dead Island

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

I had the Logan, but throwing weapons is not my style. I may end up taking the gun bitch just because no on else does and then spend mucho points in blunt weapons.....mainly for the kicking and curb stomping ability. Beating shit to death or stomping the crap out of them is pretty awesome. The weapon upgrading and creations is pretty sweet as well.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

its unplayable for me with multiplayer or the server option on. I have to turn the lan option on, then pick single player. Its so damn choppy otherwise doing god knows what talking with Steam...its fucking annoying and a travesty.

So I've been pure single player so far until they patch this shit mess of a PC release. Seems fun so far though once I got the choppy graphics calmed down. I still can't get the opening graphic of the publisher to actually play smooth, which makes me laugh the most if that's common. I bought it retail, so it installed on steam via the cd, so I did not get the dev copy of the game or anything.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Seriously.....PC games just take too much work for me to deal with. Unless it is MMO, there is not much reason to have anything but console gaming.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I got to about level 8 or so yesterday. I think I'm about done with every side quest in chapter 2, so I'll probably be on to 3 shortly. A little hint for people; you get a quest called Nighthawk in chapter 2, if you are trying to clean up all the quests as you go like me, you'll try and do this one, but you can't until later in the game (I looked it up online).

The only thing that's frustrating me at this point is lack of money. I'm sure just like any other game you'll eventually be to the point where you can do whatever the hell you want and never run out of money, but at this point between dying and repairing weapons I'm spending it as fast as I get it.

I'll most likely be on throughout the day and again tonight (currently unemployed :( ), so shoot me a message if you want to get into some co op. I have it set to private so that people can't just jump into my game that I don't know.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I just listened to the GiantBombcast and ine guy said he's at 66% completion at around the 25 hour mark. Sounds like a pretty big game (larger than I was expecting, for sure).

Also, has anyone tried the alternate melee controls?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I just listened to the GiantBombcast and ine guy said he's at 66% completion at around the 25 hour mark. Sounds like a pretty big game (larger than I was expecting, for sure).

Also, has anyone tried the alternate melee controls?
Haven't yet, not sure how to, I just know I saw an achievement for it. I'm at about 10% completion and level 10 with about 5-7 hours in.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

So who's playing this on the PS3? :)

Something for the Logan-players to look forward to in the patch!

Looting rules improved
Thrown items now cannot be picked up by another player for 5 minutes.
• Items from just-opened containers cannot be picked up by another player for 5 seconds.
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Yeah, Kilmoll, you're right. PC games are a hassle when they are not meant for PC gaming. This game was clearly constructed on 360 then ported to PS3 and PC. There are just not enough graphical options to take advantage of a PC Gaming rig. I have SLI GTX 260's from over 2 years ago still running strong, and I turn SLI OFF for this game, and run it max settings at 1920x1200 and it runs just fine. Its kind of a joke and an insult, but it is what gaming is now a days for the big multiplatform releases. I just find it hard to believe that porting a PC game to console isn't the easier method? But I don't know anything about game design.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Played for 2-3 hours last night. Did a few side quests, but want to finish the immediate ones from lifeguard shack and lighthouse before moving forward in main arc (I had just completed turning beacon on.).

Running over zombies is fun! :D I'll also agree with Funk that weapon upgrade/upkeep pretty much is a wash with found cash. Wondering if there are better cash quests or whatnot in order to justify the expenditure on the "shop" weapons. I'd hate to blow cash on a neato machete when it is near-destroyed 10 minutes later, and not have the cash to fix!
en kærlighed småkager
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I've read a little too many stories about lost saves and progress, so I'll likely shelve this game for a few days until the kinks get worked out and concentrate on Space Marine in the meantime.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I haven't had any issues at all playing this on PC.
Online coop is seamless, performance is smooth, no lost or corrupted saves.

Not sure how you guys are having issues with cash. I tend to search everything I come across and sell most of my non-rare items. Was well over 5k by level 10 and I think I'm sitting around 12k at level 15 with 4 blue maxed upgraded weapons.

.mainly for the kicking and curb stomping ability. Beating shit to death or stomping the crap out of them is pretty awesome.
Haha, no shit.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Everything is running well for me after whatever they changed late last week. No issues now...well, the opening credit for the developer is still all choppy, that just makes me laugh. But the game runs fine online with max graphical settings again, so I'm happy to continue curb stomping.

I haven't had a cash problem yet, but I keep finding useful and better weapons, so I don't waste too much on upgrading and repairs. Maybe you all need to search more suitcases where people leave BATS and KNIVES and GUNS! That's where I keep mine!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I started over as the blunt-weapon dude. Just got to the church in the town. Blowing shit up is fun, as is driving!

Where is everyone finding rare-quality weapons, or any-quality firearms?
en kærlighed småkager
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

a few rare quality items I found in lock boxes (i have lvl 2 lockpick, i imagine lvl 3 boxes have more), hidden metal cases (well, they try to hide them), and of course quest turn ins. Have had about 4 blues from lockboxes so far, just got to the church with current character. Also have 25k cash at that point. I only get to game 1 hour or so at a time, so I am constantly having to run somewhere from the lifeguard station, which means all those metal boxes and lock boxes are reset...that probably helps in finding up to level weapons and cashola.
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Finished first play through and aside from the slightly wonky shit before they patched, this has to be one of the better games i've played in a while. Amazing story, great visuals - and the game play isn't over chaotic. Did a bit of multiplayer over the weekend - need to make sure you're actually working together, as it's just the single player with other people. Other people can run off and do side quests and you get completion credit, but you miss what's important - the story! As long as you stay/work together tho, it just becomes a slightly faster version of the single player game. The story again, is just fantastic - no black and white calls on morality, it's all fucked up shades of grey everywhere.
Pyrella - Illusionist - Leader of Ixtlan on Antonia Bayle

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Nice! Total play time to finish?
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

30ish hours or so - the back half of the game flows much faster than the first (more 'on rails' environments, and less side quests) with the development of the story.

if you were walking around and you came upon a tulip with tits, would you let it be for the rest of the world to enjoy.. or would you pick it and carry it off to a secluded area to motorboat them?
-Cadalano
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

With Space Marine down, I'll be concentrating on this game next. I'll get as far as I can, play Gears of War 3, then get back and polish this off if I don't finish it by next week (which I won't!).
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

If anyone is playing and hasn't done the side quest "uninvited guests", can you let me know when you get to that point so I can join you for it? I'm pretty sure I picked up the purple skull, and during that quest is the only way to turn it in, and I finished the quest already.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

My playtime on this is extremely limited due to the amount of swearing in it I do not play it around my girls. There isn't a language filter either :(
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Haha, you must be playing as Sam.
Try Xian, her language is much less colourful.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Yeah, Xian is better bet.

Also, I would think that the imagery is a bit more detrimental to a child's ability to sleep than the language! :lol:
en kærlighed småkager
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I am going to be on tonight fo sho. Turtle Beach for playing when delicate ears are withing hearing range.
pyrella
>()))>

Post by pyrella »

Fairweather Pure wrote:My playtime on this is extremely limited due to the amount of swearing in it I do not play it around my girls. There isn't a language filter either :(

American values - lol

Cursing and nudity is a nono - but mindless violence and racism is always acceptable!

-Cadalano
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

My girls don't pay attention to anything TV related at all really. They definitely have a higher tolerance than most for "scary" types of media, mainly because they understand it's not real. We talk a lot about what they watch, as they watch it. Their favorite movies are Big Trouble in Little China and Beetlejuice. Recently, I just let them watch Ghostbusters 1. They are already familiar with the animated series, so the movie itself went over very well. The movie has some swears in it, as well as the part where Ray gets sexed up by the ghost in his dream. That part went over their heads though, so I had no issue with that. I was only worried about the part in the beginning when the librarian transforms into the big, white monster style ghost. I watched my kids as it built up, and when that happened, they laughed. Now, we watched it during the afternoon and we talked all about it just after it happened even before their laughter wore off. I'm an extremely attentive parent. We talk about their dreams every morning. They go to sleep laughing pretty much every night. They are well balanced, loving, and smart kids. The thing about swearing is that it's extremely easy for them to latch onto, especially right now when language is so important to them. There is one part in Beetlejuice when he says "NICE FUCKING MODEL" (then honks his crotch twice). I self edited that out of their version of the movie because it's WAY too easy to emulate. Once again, they do not care about video games or what is going on the television unless it is something they are immediately drawn to. Our living room TV was out of commission for a week and my kids didn't mention it once. It's as if we never had one.

The other thing though, is that these types of scary things don't bother a small child at all until... one day they do. I had a friend who's kid loved Fellowship of the Ring. Suddenly one day, she was terrified of the orcs. To my friend it seemed out of the blue. I thought she would be more scared of the Wraiths than the orces, but I digress... It's just really important to have an open dialogue with your kids at all times. Not only do you have to listen to what they say, but how they say it.

Most people think kids are fucking idiots or something. It's as if they themselves forgot what it was like to be a child. In my house, games are just games and movies are just movies. My kids have enough guidance and hands on from my wife and I to know the difference.

So no, I don't care about video game or cartoon style violence, but I do care about swearing for the reasons outlined above. As for racism or nudity, those are also taboo for my kids but I don't really know why you chose to mix those into your post.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

They also love Pee Wee's Big Adventure. My kids have excellent taste in movies! (They called it Pee Pee's Big Adventure for awhile, but they are still learning how to speak certain sounds and words!)
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Canelek wrote:I started over as the blunt-weapon dude. Just got to the church in the town. Blowing shit up is fun, as is driving!

Where is everyone finding rare-quality weapons, or any-quality firearms?
Uniques

Bat = Homerun Bat
Bat = Bouncer's Pal
Cleaver = Master Chef
Pickaxe = Pick of Destiny (Quest: Fallen Angel)
Wakizashi = Eviscerator (Dropped in Moresby slums)
Katana = Zed's Demise (Quest: Butcher of Banoi)
Sledgehammer = Gabriel's Sledgehammer (Quest: Bury the Dead)
Knife = Assassin's Greed (Random Drop, found one in City of Moresby)
Wrench = Italian Plumber (Found in Prison)
Machete = The Machete/Tijuana Machete (Quest: Where is my Pineapple?)
Machete = The Bushmaster
Axe = Viking of the South

Pistol = McCall's 9mm
Shotgun = The Crowdpleaser
Assault Rifle = Defender of the Motherland (Hidden Armory in Prison)
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

There are 5 hidden skulls around the game that you can find and turn in for orange weapon patterns. They are tough to find, don't show in your inventory (so if you pick any of them up remember which you have. There are guides out there to where they're at. They are all really good weapons.

They are spendy to make. They each cost 10,000 and 5 diamonds. There is a girl on a dock in the northeast of the resort area that will trade you diamonds for bottles of champagne.

Other than that finding them in lock boxes and quest rewards. I'm mid way through chapter 11 at this point.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Regarding Developer Mods, only the Purple and the Blue skull are worth doing.

Blue Skull
Plaguebearer
* Poison Effect Rank 6
* Critical Chance + 100%
* Critical Damage + 10%
* Critical Duration + 1000% (zombies will stand and puke for a looong duration)

Purple Skull
Mindblower

* Brainblast Effect Rank 6
* Critical Chance + 75% (Has a 75 % chance to explode the heads on enemies, combine that with Economical Throw for example for AoE mindblowing goodness)
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Tried playing this game again tonight. I made it to the lifeguard shack and back to the original hut (very beginning of game).

The environment is beautiful. Looks like a place I'd want to visit. For some reason this game is giving me motion sickness. Same feeling I got from old Duke Nuk'em game. Maybe it's trying to target all the luggage etc to loot or something. Don't know. I like the game but it's making me sick. I'm fine with 95% of FPS games.

Only thing I don't like is how fast weapons deteriorate. I mean, how fast can a pipe break down? 4 zombie beat downs and it's useless. There's tons of weapons laying around but I can foresee it as potentially being an annoyance with weapon upkeep. With the 360 version, I wish there was an easier way to loot. Targeting everything is a bit tedious considering how much crap is out there to loot. I also agree with whoever mentioned that everyone looks like they're 40+ in this game.

Back to the map and design, I kind of just want to roam around the island and check it out but these fucking zombies keep attacking me! : )

As for the motion sickness. I googled Dead Island Motion Sickness and it looks like others have experienced it. I wonder if it's something specific in the design that does it compared to other FPSs. Some saying it's the "camera bob" where the camera bounces around while you run or walk. That, along with the over use of motion blur is probably doing it. Only suggestion so far it so move back more from the screen.
Graphics/Audio: Texture pop plagues this game along with some horrible motion blur. A few friends of mine find the game almost unplayable due to the blurring inducing some sort of motion sickness. The island itself when you aren’t sick from the motion blur is a beautiful place
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

No pop-in or motion blur on PC version.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I've read a lot of complaints about motion sickness with this game. No problems here. It's odd to read it so often though. I think the PC version has a fov mod out. Maybe you should steal that version and give it a try instead.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Got to 83% completion and was bringing the girl back to Dr West when we got attacked. She fell through the stairs, got caught and if I reload she just sits there caught. Guess I will never know what happens. I am not going back and starting at a much earlier save.

Oh well. Cool idea, ok plot, poor execution on the technical side.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I've only made it to the Lifeguard station but am very impressed with the design of the island. They made great use of the z-axis. It's cool to look back over the area you just traversed.

Dead Island 2 will be something to look forward to with some changes in the head bobbing motion sickness issue, some bug squashing and fine tuning, maybe add some characters that look under 40.

I'll slowly make my way though this game. Now that I'm aware of the motion issues, I can keep it under control somewhat by what I focus on while looking at the screen.

Well illustrated Brady Game Guide can be found here:

http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2725166/32010810/

Video Walk-Through here if stuck somewhere:

http://blog.mad4flash.com/2011/09/dead- ... iscussion/
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Tyek wrote:Got to 83% completion and was bringing the girl back to Dr West when we got attacked. She fell through the stairs, got caught and if I reload she just sits there caught. Guess I will never know what happens. I am not going back and starting at a much earlier save.

Oh well. Cool idea, ok plot, poor execution on the technical side.
Tyek, are you on PS3 or PC?

Just join a friend's game at the same chapter, do the Escort Yerema quest and complete it, Voila :D
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

Xbox
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Tyek wrote:Xbox
Well if you'd been on the PS3, i'd invite ya ASAP and do that Yerema-quest with ya so you'd get completion! :)

Surely there are others on the same chapter in the Game Lobby though?
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---