Just bought a PS3

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Just bought a PS3

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I pulled the trigger on this purchase last week Thursday. It came with Gran Turismo 5, which as Winnow had mentioned in another thread, is great for people who are really into cars. I think they have a bazillion different cars in that game. As it is, I enjoy the racing but when it comes to customizing the cars they go into great depth, at least in my point of view. I'm mechanically misinclined so when they are talking about a flywheel and other gear sets I'm pretty lost. Still fun to watch my 3 year old fly around the track crashing into other cars....walls...trees...etc.

Saturday I went to bought Madden 2011. I know I had professed my distain for EA Sports in the past because they stopped making Madden for the PC. Well, I'm still pissed by that but seeing as how I have a PS3 now I'm less inclined to stay bitter and not buy the game.

A few negative things (nit picky for the most part) about Madden 2011:
When they show the stands at the stadiums there are a large amount of empty seats. This would never EVER be the case at Lambeau Field. The Packers could go 0-16 and the stands would still be packed.

I believe EA Sports got really lazy when creating the people in the stands when they are shown. They will show maybe 12 people and it will be maybe 3-4 of the same models with different clothes or skin tone. Speaking of skin tone and not to sound racial but there aren't that many black people in Green Bay as they depict in the stands.

When the 2 minute warning hits it hits fasts over the last play before it. For example, I’ll tackle the guy who caught the ball and I won’t even see if he was actually tackled or not and the 2 minute warning thing kicks in with it’s over the top presentation.

The advertisements are bit much but I can live with that.

Changes I like about the game:
I like the Gameflow option. So long as you can do the play it isn’t so bad. I’m just worried that it is going to call a stupid play like a hail mary on the goal line or something like that.

I like the removal of the sprint button and the full use of the sticks instead. However I now have a bruised thumb from playing 8 games in a row.

I like the Extra Point section after the game where it gives a newscast about the games that week.

I’m sure there is more but as work intrudes I am losing my train of thought.

Tldr: I really like my PS3 and the games look incredible.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Just bought a PS3

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Bubba Grizz wrote: Speaking of skin tone and not to sound racial but there aren't that many black people in Green Bay as they depict in the stands.

Didn't know you were Black Bubba!

The PS3 does rocketh though!
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:
Bubba Grizz wrote: Speaking of skin tone and not to sound racial but there aren't that many black people in Green Bay as they depict in the stands.

Didn't know you were Black Bubba!

The PS3 does rocketh though!
Only from the waist....UP.
I'm Chinese from the waist down.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Bubba Grizz wrote:The advertisements are bit much but I can live with that.
For this reason alone, I refuse to buy sports games (or any other games) that I know implement this. I paid for the product, it's not ad supported freeware.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Post your PSN ID and I'll add you.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

My ID is C-Install. Kind of a running joke amongst my team. We push out software to our users and it goes to their C:\install folder before actually installing. Well like all great software, it doesn't always work. So I would direct people to this directory when I am in a hurry and don't have time to connect to them and walk them through an install. The thing is that they wanted this folder to remain hidden from the users, for good reason, but I would still say stuff like, "Ok, go to C:\ drive and open the Install folder..." and it would drive them crazy. So I have adopted that name mainly because I will be playing against them in games online and because the name filter wouldn't take any of my other choices.
Zygar_ Cthulhukin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Zygar_ Cthulhukin »

But....but...but....I heard the PS3 was bad! From some guy named Willow or something, and he posts a lot!
{{{(>.<)}}} (o.o) \\(^o^)// --- I DID IT!!!! -Hiro
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I'm liking it pretty much so far. I like that I can stream netflix through it as well. I'm not a big game player like most. I tend to get into one game and play it almost exclusively. Like I did with WoW. I think my subscription to WoW has saved me a lot of money as a result. I guess that will change now.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bubba Grizz wrote:I'm liking it pretty much so far. I like that I can stream netflix through it as well. I'm not a big game player like most. I tend to get into one game and play it almost exclusively. Like I did with WoW. I think my subscription to WoW has saved me a lot of money as a result. I guess that will change now.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your PS3 Bubba!

If you use your PS3 controller more than 5 minutes at a time, I highly recommend you get one of these hand massagers to work out the kinks afterwards or have your wife give them a massage:

It's nice to see that Netflix no longer needs a disk in the drive to work in a PS3.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

My only observation was that I found it odd that you chose the system that sells more copies of FIFA then Madden! I just assumed you wanted/needed a Blu Ray player too.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bubba Grizz wrote:I'm liking it pretty much so far. I like that I can stream netflix through it as well. I'm not a big game player like most. I tend to get into one game and play it almost exclusively. Like I did with WoW. I think my subscription to WoW has saved me a lot of money as a result. I guess that will change now.

Glad to hear you're enjoying your PS3 Bubba!

If you use your PS3 controller more than 5 minutes at a time, I highly recommend you get one of these hand massagers to work out the kinks afterwards or have your wife give them a massage:

It's nice to see that Netflix no longer needs a disk in the drive to work in a PS3.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

There were a number of factors that weighed in favor of my chosing a PS3 over the Xbox. I had originally wanted to try Xbox just so I could see what all the hype was about Halo. One of the reasons I even got a console is due to my work friends. We wanted to play against each other in Madden and 2 of the 4 of us had both systems but their Xbox was modified so that they couldn't use it online. Their PS3's were working though.

I had a PS and a PS2 from way back and I am used to their controllers. The Xbox controller felt odd in my hands. I know I'd get used to it over time but I am already used to the PS controllers. The Blue Ray was added bonus even though I don't own a blue ray movie.

noob question but what is FIFA?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Bubba Grizz wrote:noob question but what is FIFA?
Soccer
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
Bubba Grizz wrote:noob question but what is FIFA?
Soccer
Football!

:)
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Federation of International Football Associations!
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

My PS3 looks pretty formidable sitting on my desk. That reminds me, I need to dust.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

I'm quite happy with my PS3. Main gripe is wonky controls sometimes, but I think that's more a game than a console issue. I don't know any other consoles though, the PS3 was my first of any kind.

I've had so much fun in Red Dead Redemption, Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 (haven't picked up brotherhood yet),

PSN id is 'drolgin' (omg surplise). The great advantage to omfglate adopters like us, Bubba, is that there's half a ton of marquee games we can buy from the bargain bin. I paid ~ $15 for Assassins Creed 1 and 2 boxed, $10 for Arkham Asylum etc.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

All of those games are on 360. And with better graphics! But yeah ones like Uncharted, LBP, etc are all pretty cheap.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Aslanna wrote:All of those games are on 360. And with better graphics! But yeah ones like Uncharted, LBP, etc are all pretty cheap.
I'm sorry, when was this about the 360? Does every thread in this subforum have to degenerate into this dumbfuck argument?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Was joking, Mr Grumpy Pants. But sure. Why not!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Aslanna wrote:Was joking, Mr Grumpy Pants. But sure. Why not!
Sorry. Bad day = sarcasm detector at 0.4% efficiency.