Call of Duty: Black Ops

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Post by Siji »

Surprised there wasn't already a thread I could find.. but in any case, here's your jizz moment for the day.

Mmmm.. brains.

Aside from some horrible AI in your fellow soldiers, I'm surprised how much more enjoyable it is than MW2. The sound is amazing and the story is intriguing.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Release date is next week. I'll have something to contribute once I have it in my hands.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB1JQ_tf ... ata_player

Commercial gets 10/10 from me!

Also, in Zombie Ops you get to play as Nixon and JFK (amoungst others). There's also rumor of a top down level.

This game is going to be great.
Last edited by Fairweather Pure on November 7, 2010, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Didn't play Zombie mode long enough to see those things. Was interesting how to progress you have to spend points you get for kills (I'm assuming, I didn't pay much attention) and you can buy new weapons and such along the way.

Have to hand it to Treyarch.. they did a really good job on this one. (I'm also making the assumption that MP will be as good as SP has been)
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Siji wrote:Have to hand it to Treyarch.. they did a really good job on this one.
Are you actually going to be buying the game?
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Not sure why you'd want to pay for this game :)

At least I won't even be slightly tempted to get it this time around, because none of the 8 or 10 people I regularly play games with online are buying it.. And many of them have been big CoD fans in the past.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:
Siji wrote:Have to hand it to Treyarch.. they did a really good job on this one.
I wouldn't. Although I hear the Single Player campaign is a decent length so I guess Treyarch does a better job at giving customers value over Infinity Ward who kept making SP length shorter and shorter. Yeah yeah "MP makes up for that" but only if you give a shit about MP. Modern Warfare 1 and 2 had abysmally short single player campaigns. At least according to reviews. I actually didn't even bother finishing MW2. It just seemed so boring and uninspired.

Oh and zombies suck. It's so overplayed out as just about every game seems to have them included somewhere.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Well, if all you care about is single player, then there are better places to spend 60$ for that. While I really like the single player in CoD games, they tend to be pretty short.

For Black Ops, it's all about the multiplayer for me. I think MW 1 did some great things for online FPS games. It really brought some much needed innovation with killstreak rewards and such. Now, CoD 2 was great fun. CoD 3, by Treyarch was a goddamn disaster and where the hate for the company is founded. However, they redeemed themselves with W@W, which was a fantastic experience from start to finish. MW2 came out and gave yet another Micheal Bay single player experience, although it was too short. MW2 multi-player refined IW's formula a great deal, but the game was/is broken as fucking shit. They went overboard and still haven't fixed various broken mechanics in the multi-player portion of the game.

I will say that W@W has better multi-player than both MW1 and MW2 for various reasons. First and foremost is the guns themselves. W@W guns were so varied in strength and power that I end up mixing my kits all the time. In MW2, I just use a loaded out SCAR. That thing is a beast at both medium and long range. W@W's weapons ensured a much closer game and you see much more diversity between player kits. Now, a lot of the can also be credited towards the maps in W@W, which has the best variety and layout of anything I ever played in the IW games.

For Black Ops, Treyarch is once again fixing and refining all the things that IW have turned a blind eye towards. Some of them are simply tweaks, such as moving the cross hairs on a sniper rifle to stop quick-scoping, or not allowing the Scavenger perk to resupply newb tubes. Others are pretty huge, like not allowing your kill streak rewards add on to your existing body count.

Then, they're bringing things like interactive maps, where you can open/close doors to funnel players into kill-zones and much more. Then you have all the new play types. PC gets dedicated servers again. The list goes on. They are really packing a lot into this game.

Here's a peek for those that may not know what this game will include:
Create-A-Class 2.0
The unlock system for Black Ops has been re-designed from it's predecessors. In addition to earning XP and ranking up from multiplayer matches, you also earn a currency called "COD Points," or CP. This currency is used to unlock everything from weapons and attachments to killstreak rewards and perks. As you rank up, you earn more CP per match and are given the right to purchase more items. In short, your level gives you access to new items, but you have to spend money to add items to your arsenal.

Wager Matches
Alongside CP comes a brand new playlist known as the Wager Match. These are specialized, 6-player free-for-all matches which require you to ante up some of your precious CP in order to participate. The top three players finish "in the money" and will earn back their ante, plus a hefty bonus. The bottom three will lose everything.

The four Wager Match modes are:

One In The Chamber
Each player spawns with a pistol and a single bullet. Every time you kill an enemy, you're given another bullet. Learn to trust your instincts, take a deep breath, and make every shot count.

Gun Game
Each player spawns with a pistol. Each time you earn a kill, you're given a new, slightly more powerful gun. You'll go through pistols, shotguns, assault rifles, submachine guns, light machines, and sniper rifles, before finishing with a crossbow and ballistic knife. The first player to get one kill with each of the 20 weapons in the rotation is the winner.

Sharpshooter
Each player spawns with the same, random gun, and every 45 seconds that gun is randomly changed. This will challenge players to be consistently competent with each gun in the game.

Sticks and Stones
Perhaps the most bizarre of the modes, each player is given a crossbow, ballistic knife, and a tomahawk. Kills with the crossbow and ballistic knife will add to your score, while killing someone with a tomahawk will drop their score to zero. The player with the most points at the end of the time limit is the winner.

Combat Training
This is really just a fancy term for "bots." You can now play through the entire multiplayer progression, either solo or with friends, against bots. Your progress in combat training does not carry into regular multiplayer, but you can consider this a good place to learn maps, practice with new weapons, or play with friends who are afraid of hopping online and getting their asses kicked.

Theater Mode
It's a feature that fans have been clamoring for, and Treyarch has delivered. You can now replay your recently played matches, build clips and gameplay videos, and upload them to a central file share for all of your friends to see.

Prestige
There will be 15 levels of prestige this time around. The first five will unlock extra class slots, and the remaining prestiges will continue to unlock special bonuses (for example, Gold camo becomes available for purchase at Prestige 14). To compensate for the extra prestiges, the max level has been dropped from 70 to 50; reaching 15 prestiges in Black Ops should take roughly the same amount of time as 10 prestiges in Modern Warfare 2.

Contracts and Challenges
Longtime Call of Duty players are familiar with the game's built-in challenge system, which rewards players with bonus XP for grinding out specific types of kills, or doing something particularly difficult and badass. Black Ops adds a new layer on top of this system with Contracts, which are a special set of tightly focused, time-limited challenges. Players can purchase any number of Contracts with their CP, and will be rewarded with bonus CP and/or XP if they complete the terms of the contract within the set amount of time. These contracts will rotate on a daily/weekly basis, ensuring that there is always something new for the hardcore player to chase.

Visual Customization
In addition to customizing your character from a tactical perspective, you are also given a wealth of new visual customization options to play around with. This includes a custom emblem editor, custom weapon sight reticules, gun camos, face camos, and more.

Interactive Maps
In another first for the series, certain multiplayer maps will feature interactive elements and environmental events. For example, one map has a bomb site placed beneath the engine of a rocket prepped for launch, forcing players to time plants and defuses so that they aren't burned alive when the rocket lifts off. Other maps might have doors which can be opened or closed by the defending team, allowing them to manipulate the flow of traffic through the map. Players will now have to not only learn the geography of each map, but the ways in which they can be manipulated as well.

Balance Tweaks
In addition to adding new features to the game, Treyarch has implemented a number of fundamental gameplay and balance tweaks designed to address a number of key complaints from the Call of Duty community.

No More Killstreak Stacking
In a first for the series, kills earned by using your killstreak rewards will no longer continue to build your killstreak.

No More Stopping Power/Juggernaut/Danger Close
Stopping Power, Juggernaut, and Danger Close (a.k.a. Sonic Boom) have been staple perks of the franchise ever since Call of Duty 4, but no longer. This opens up a wealth of new options for class customization, as you will no longer have to sacrifice increased health or damage for a more tactical perk.

Going Commando Is Out of Style
Yes, Commando is gone. In its place is the Ballistic Knife, a secondary melee weapon that fires blades in a straight line. You get one shot before reloading, and only two shots total. The days of teleporting super ninjas are over!

No More Noob Tube Rain
Modern Warfare 2 had its share of problems, but none was worse than the seemingly endless shower of explosive rounds (i.e., noob tubes). Not only has the One Man Army perk been completely removed, but the Scavenger perk will also no longer restore grenade launcher rounds. If you need the noob tube to get kills, you're only going to get two shots with it per life, and you can't use an explosive perk as a crutch to make it stronger.

Who Needs Deathstreaks?
Arguably the worst new idea in Modern Warfare 2, Deathstreaks will not make an appearance in Black Ops multiplayer.

Quickscoping Crutches Removed
In Modern Warfare 2, the Sleight of Hand Pro perk would radically increase the sight time of your weapon. This caused "quickscoping" (a technique where a sniper will quickly raise his sights and immediately fire) to be much more effective than it should have been. And even though the Sleight of Hand Pro perk returns, it has been confirmed that it will have no effect whatsoever on sniper rifles.

Grenades and Equipment are distinct again
Modern Warfare 2 lumped all grenades and deployable equipment into the same category, which was a departure from previous entries in the series. This time around, grenades and equipment are two separate categories, allowing you to have equip both a grenade and a claymore once again.

Shotguns Are Primary Weapons Again
This change is fairly self-explanatory; you can no longer equip a long-range assault weapon and a short-range shotgun in the same class.

Dive To Prone
Treyarch is introducing a brand-new multiplayer mechanic called "Dive To Prone." If you press and hold the crouch button while running, your character will execute a diving maneuver, quickly lowering their hitbox during their animation, but preventing them from firing until they have landed and recovered. This will prevent sprinting dropshots, although regular dropshotting is still possible.

Xbox Live Party Chat
XBox 360 gamers rejoice! Party Chat is now enabled in all playlists aside from Search and Destroy.

The cooperative wave-based, zombie-slaughtering fight for your life returns! Kill zombies to earn credits, which can be spent on weapons, perks, and environmental effects. Your only goal - survive!

Zombie Mode
Default Maps
The game will ship with three maps:
Kino Der Toten (Theater of the Damned): Features the characters from World at War transported forward through time. Unlocked from the start.
"Five": Features JFK, Castro, Nixon, and McNamara fighting hordes of zombies in the Pentagon. Unlocked by finishing the campaign and watching through the credits.
Dead Ops: Not a traditional map; rather, it is a top-down, arcade style shooter (somewhat along the lines of Smash TV). Unlocked via a secret code.

Bonus Maps
The Hardened and Prestige editions will also include the four Nazi Zombie levels from World at War: Nacht der Untoten, Verruckt, Shi No Numa, and Der Reise. They may or may not be made available as paid DLC in the future.
All of that without even mentioning the single player aspect! The game has a metric fuckton of content. For multi-player, the camera and remote controlled C4 alone present a lot of fun! Also, I cannot wait to release the hounds again (my favorite perk in any CoD game!). You can even play multi-player with Bots if that's your thing. The ability to customize almost every single aspect of your character (camo, face-paint, custom symbols, outfits) and your weapons (color, camo, name, clan tags, etchings) is going to be a lot of fun IMO.

If you look at all those changes, additions, and improvements and can't see that this is going to be awesome, well than you're just missing out!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Single Player Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPTOVQFRggI

Wager Match Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg_8mPoloBo

Customization Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0_r4-eTmlA

Fuck yeah! How can anyone not want to play this game?!?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Missing out? HA!

There are multiple things with the CoD formula that make the games garbage, imo. First and foremost is camping. It's presence in CoD is like 50 fold worse than any other FPS ever. Camping is a garbage ass no talent way to play a game, and while there are things that you can do to combat it, I don't feel that's a worthwhile way to be spending my time.

Next on the list is the way they deal with leveling. Weapons should not be unlocked by gaining higher ranks, this makes the game unbalanced for the people that don't play the game 40 hours a week like many do, because not only are you at a skill disadvantage, you have inferior weapons/scopes/whatever. This wouldn't be as big of a deal if any of the true skill type systems in games ever made appropriate matches, but they don't. Ever.

Last, and this kinda ties in with #1, but the CoD community in my experience is the most douche-laden of any FPS game. And I've played a large variety of them pretty damn extensively.

Have fun though!

P.S. Zombies are fucking gay, get over it!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

miir wrote:
Originally I wouldn't have even considered it based on how much I dislike MW2 and how played out I think war games are.. but if I were a MW2 player I probably would have changed my mind after seeing BO. I also can't say how good or bad BO MP is going to be, I can only say I was surprisingly impressed with SP. I'd say it's at least 8+ hrs, though it's kind of hard for me to judge since I have to stop & start so many times. It's certainly longer than MW2 was and as I mentioned has a much better story. It's not the second coming of Christ and I don't think it's as good as Reach, but it's pretty good. Definitely worth the $ if you do MP.

ED: Just finished the game and it's after the game is over that you get to play as Kennedy vs Zombies. Not sure how you switch between Nixon and Castro, perhaps it's a higher round as I only did 4 rounds of it. Perhaps once you've completed the game, those characters are available when you choose Zombie mode from the menu, will have to check it another time.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Well Funk, you seemed rather entrenched in your belief that CoD sux, so I'm certainly not going to try and convince you otherwise. However, I will address your series of complaints.

First and foremost is your issue with camping. There are a plethora of game modes that make that tactic pretty much impossible that are already in the existing CoD games. (I'm a Domination fan myself) I only notice camping as an issue in TDM, and even then only on specific maps. Black Ops is introducing a further 4 game types that take camping even further out of the equation (including Sharpshooter, which gives every player a random gun every 45 seconds). He'll, if you're sick of all the perks and kill streak rewards there's even a bare bones version you can play! If all you do is play TDM, I would simply encourage you to play the other modes.

Second, is your issue with the community. I'm definitely not sticking up for them, but you are completely delusional if you honestly believe it is confined to CoD. For Christs sake, you're playing your share of Halo right now. These are the exact same people. For the record, Gears of War 2 holds my top spot for shittiest community!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Also, if you hate the community that much, word on the street is that the AI bots are pretty good. There are 4 levels of difficulty and they can even be named after the people on your friends list. They use perks and kill streak rewards.

I never really have to deal with talking to the CoD community because I'm usually doing cross game chat with RL friends. Even when I do, I never thought it was too bad too often. It's the same chatter in every competitive game ever.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Just a note: There is a 5ish second delay on all grenade launchers when the match first starts. It's like Treyarch thought of everything!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

MW2 did have SERIOUS camping issues. I play domination almost exclusively and absolutely hated MW2 because of the camping and other abuses of some of the gay perks that are not coming to BO. I think a lot of the camping was made worse because of the maps on MW2...and the incentives of the kill streaks to sit in a corner and not get killed. You pretty much had 2 choices playing domination: get kills or win the game. With MW1 you could win and still rack up ridiculous amounts of kills if you had a good team.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I think making shotguns a primary instead of secondary is a nice start against campers too. You get one or the other this time!

Like I said above, W@W had much better maps than anything that IW made. I hope Black Ops is the same way with lots of vertical points and great "middle ground" to fight over. It really will all come down to weapon balance though. Based on what I've seen so far in both video and customer reviews it looks pretty damn good in that department.

Btw, how in the fuck does everyone in the free world have a copy of this game a week before street date?!? Both PS3 and 360 have their servers up already too.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I think making shotguns a primary instead of secondary is a nice start against campers too. You get one or the other this time!

Like I said above, W@W had much better maps than anything that IW made. I hope Black Ops is the same way with lots of vertical points and great "middle ground" to fight over. It really will all come down to weapon balance though. Based on what I've seen so far in both video and customer reviews it looks pretty damn good in that department.

Btw, how in the fuck does everyone in the free world have a copy of this game a week before street date?!? Both PS3 and 360 have their servers up already too.
I think some employees of different companies were allowed to purchase theirs prior to release. I know the guys at the Gamestop by my house pretty well, and they were talking to me about it. They didn't get their copy for free, but they've had it for like 3 weeks.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Btw, how in the fuck does everyone in the free world have a copy of this game a week before street date?!?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzFkIQk_Z-4
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Looks like Black Ops is on track to break MW2's sales record.

The PC version is having launch day jitters and the PS3 has a lower Rez and some framerate issues, so if you have a choice it seems the 360 is the version to own.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

The new levels are really well done.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Fairweather Pure wrote:The PC version is having launch day jitters and the PS3 has a lower Rez and some framerate issues, so if you have a choice it seems the 360 is the version to own.
We can always count on you to relay all the useless neogaf information.
Normal people really don't give a fuck if one version has 4% better resolution or averages 2.3 frames per second more. :roll: :lol: :roll:
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

360 is pure win!

I enjoy the updates on which version is best between PC, 360 and that PS3 console. I would imagine PS3 fans ould hate it as the PS3 tends to bring up the rear in most of these comparisons.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

miir wrote:Normal people really don't give a fuck if one version has 4% better resolution or averages 2.3 frames per second more.
There are sure a lot of abnormal people in the world.

Assuming a buyer has both systems, what makes more sense? To buy a technically superior (however minor) version of a product or an inferior version of the same product for the same price either way?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Are you telling me that people actually hold off on buying a game until the nerds at Neogaf voice their opinions on which version is 'better'?

L-O-L
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

miir wrote:Are you telling me that people actually hold off on buying a game until the nerds at Neogaf voice their opinions on which version is 'better'?

L-O-L
From working at Gamestop for two years I can tell you with 100% certainty that yes, yes there are.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

miir wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:The PC version is having launch day jitters and the PS3 has a lower Rez and some framerate issues, so if you have a choice it seems the 360 is the version to own.
We can always count on you to relay all the useless neogaf information.
Normal people really don't give a fuck if one version has 4% better resolution or averages 2.3 frames per second more. :roll: :lol: :roll:
And if PS3 was better at anything, I'm sure you'd be wondering why anybody bought the 360 version.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Most people can't even tell the difference btween 720p and 1080p.
Most people who own an ipad think it does HD.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The maps do seem to be worlds better than MW2. On domination, it seems like they put all the B flags right smack in the middle without much real cover and will force people to actually fight for them. So far in every map that I have played on it, it reminds me of the B flags on Countdown and Ambush from MW1. Hooray for that anyway.

The matchmaking was a little flaky last night, but that was probably because there were 2.5 million people playing multiplayer. There was occasional lag during games, but it really was nowhere close to what I remember seeing from MW1. Most of it comes from people overseas being in your game.

One thing that may be annoying are those damn remote control cars. They were running all over the place since you can get them with a 2 kill streak. It was fun stabbing people in the face that you could see with the remote in their hands trying to drive it around. The napalm strikes kind of suck....but you do have to remember to not run through the flames after they hit the ground. So far I have to say I like the perks with no overpowering or complete garbage being available. They eliminated a ton of the stuff that made MW 2 suck so bad.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I bought this game last night and I feel dirty. It was an anger purchase, the first time I've done that. I was so pissed off after there was either aim botting or standby bullshit in like 5 games back to back in Halo that I went into a blind fury, drove to Gamestop, and got it. :lol: TAKE THAT BUNGIE!

Really though, I'll probably still mostly play Halo, from the bit I've played of this so far it's good, but I still really prefer Halo.

I will say the map designs seem to be pretty good. There is one map, however, that I'm pretty sure was put in the game as a joke and will be removed at some point. It's the map where you spawn behind a house with a small backyard, there is a street in front of the house, and another house on the other side of the street where the opposing team spawns. You can take like 5 steps from the beginning of the game and toss grenades into their spawn points, and spawn camping was horrendous. This map is absolutely trash, but from the maps I played it's the only one I would say that about.

Anyway, I still feel dirty. I won't likely be playing this a ton, but if you are looking to join up with anyone and I'm playing send me a invite.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

That is Nuketown. I will put money down right now that says that is THE map that good players will all be wanting to play and people that suck will want to avoid. It is very similar to MW1's Shipment map. Bring your stun grenades!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I don't know why that shit map would be a choice of good players. It's the same kind of poor map design as arena zealot in Reach, it promotes all of the cowardly bullshit things that assholes in FPS games do by design. Bad choices, IMO.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

It is because you simply cannot camp on a map like that. It takes all the pussy campers and sticks them in a place where you will die quickly and repeatedly if you try to hide and camp kills. It is why you see the sniping jackasses all leave the game every time those maps come up. If they do stay, then they get beaten like mouthy wives in a trailer park.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

For those with both consoles, the choice of where you spend the majority of your online gaming time must be factored into any purchasing decision - as was the case with Modern Warfare 2 before it. However, from a technical perspective, there's little doubt that the Xbox 360 offers the better experience: superior image definition, and a pleasingly smoother run of play.

In many ways, the core experience of playing a COD title is defined by that 60FPS target frame-rate and the advantages that brings. Neither version of the game sustains it, but the Xbox 360 game comes closest and thus it just feels like the more playable, satisfying game. Factor in the higher resolution and what feels like a bit more polish, and it's clearly the pick of the two HD console releases.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... ps-faceoff
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

-PS3 drops in resolution from previous COD titles from 1024x600 to 960x544, 360 version increases slightly to 1040x608.

-360 version has noticeably better performance, can be as much as 20FPS, even in cutscenes!

-360 has higher resolution shadows and better shadow filtering.

-Graphical bugs do appear in both versions but PS3 has them more frequently and are more apparent.

-In 3D mode both versions drop frames more often but the 360 version manages to maintain its framerate much better, the PS3 version sometimes drops down to as low as 20FPS!

-360 supports split screen online multiplayer with support for two separate gamertags, PS3 version forces the second player to log in as a guest account.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

So the 360s sub-HD resolution is 7% better than the PS3s sub-HD resolution?

:lol:
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Black Ops sells 7 million units in 1 day...
The same estimates suggest the majority of Black Ops sales went to Xbox 360 59%, followed by 36% for PS3 and the rest going to PC, Wii and DS versions.

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Call-of-D ... ecord/7801
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Never buying anything from this guy again.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I've only played the single player so far. I didn't get home until around midnight last night, but I've still managed to put in a nice amount of time into the game. I think I'm almost finished with it. It's fun, although a tad confusing at times. I love the era and the set pieces so far. The Vietnam levels have been the highlight to me. It's still pretty goddamn over the top. I haven't been keeping track, but I would bet the main character that You play as has been knocked out or on the verge of death about a dozen times in 5-6 different major battles and wars, over then decade or so of time the game has covered! There are some quick time events as well as a couple of new gameplay mechanics that mix things up a bit but aren't overused.

I'm chomping at the bit for multiplayer, but I like to play the single player first and see the levels in the campaign before running around them in multiplayer. I'll likely finish the game tonight and start in on multiplayer this weekend. Based on the user reviews I've read, people are extremely happy with the changes that treyarch has introduced into the game.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The same estimates suggest the majority of Black Ops sales went to Xbox 360 59%, followed by 36% for PS3 and the rest going to PC, Wii and DS versions.
ROFL.. more accurately..
Some anonymous dude on the internet who has no access to any day 1 sales figures pulled a random number out of his ass and suggested the majority of Black Ops sales went to Xbox 360 59%, followed by 36% for PS3 and the rest going to PC, Wii and DS versions
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Ah, so, he got his numbers where you get yours!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Boogahz wrote:Ah, so, he got his numbers where you get yours!
Up yours buddy!
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Last night, the number of players logged in at the same time to play the new title on XBox Live skyrocketed almost by the moment. At 9pm Central the number displayed on my television screen exceeded 2.9 million players, a number that held for several more hours. There were still over 2.5 logged in at 11:30pm Central.

I was one of them.

This morning, the highest reported simultaneous player numbers I can find for the PlayStation 3 approach 1.5 million and only 55,000 for the PC version.
Not saying its proof of the sales over platforms, just someones observation on playerbase.

Source http://www.examiner.com/arcade-game-in- ... us-players

Overall I'm enjoying the game more than I enjoyed MW2.. A lot of the things that annoyed the shit out of me in MW2 dont appear to be here.. still the occasional noob tuber but a lot less camping.. The contracts thing is pretty sweet too. And mortar attacks are quite awesome.
Timmah.

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

QTEs in a Call of Duty? Jesus. How low can they sink.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Finished the single player. When I stopped playing yesterday, I was 15 minutes from the end :lol:

Good game. I played a game vs bots on medium and then hopped into an online game. I'm going to play the fuck out of this game. Offline play vs bots was really, really fun.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

First, I saw last night 3.6 million people on 360 on multiplayer at 10:00 EST. The map was pure white from the Mississippi to the Atlantic. I am betting that at midnight they topped 4 million as the west coast hit the servers.

Second, the server issues are amazingly bad. You can forget getting a party of more than 4 into a game together. I am sure those issues will ease up as the amount of people begins to drop off, but for the next week it is going to be horrific.

Third, the bots in the training mode can be badasses. They are grenade chucking lunatics who can actually bring the thunder. What is even better is they are assigned random names for people from your friends list.

Fourth, the maps really are better than MW2 pretty much across the board. Most of them are fairly short maps so you can get it on fast. I do think they have some spawn point issues to address...some messed up spots that had some spawn camping issues on one map in particular. That issue can be quickly resolved with the spy plane jammer and liberal application of grenades while you bust ass up the other side of the map and return the favor.

Fifth, the perks are WAY better now that they have been trimmed down. Realistically, the only one from Perk 2 that will eve be used are Warlord/Hardened and Perk 1 will almost always be Scavenger...but at least they are not overpowering garbage. The Killstreak rewards are much cleaner and nicer as well. I do hate that damned R/C car....but it is much fun to stab the guy controlling it. Personally, I took spy plane, spy plane jammer, and mortar strike. The beauty now is that you do not lose a k/s reward if you keep rackign kills without getting a chance to throw it up. Get 6 straight kills, drop the mortar, then the jammer, then the spy plane. (FWIW, THE best perk in the game is Blackbird. Oh my!)

Sixth, I hope I run into Fairweather so I can abuse his ass!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:Sixth, I hope I run into Fairweather so I can abuse his ass!
A fucking easy difficulty AI bot with my name over it would rape you.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I may actually buy this game to test out LIVE although the offline BOTs sound like fun. Popularity-wise, this appears to be the game to get for LIVE.

Enslaved > FFXIII
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Aslanna wrote:QTEs in a Call of Duty? Jesus. How low can they sink.
They're not abused in this game and imo add to the overall experience.

ymmv!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Man this game looks like total shit... It looks worse than World At War which was a pretty crappy looking game 2 years ago.
Played a bit of the single player and watched a friend play multplayer.

I was originally considering picking it up, but now I have no desire to play it at all.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:Man this game looks like total shit... It looks worse than World At War which was a pretty crappy looking game 2 years ago.
Played a bit of the single player and watched a friend play multplayer.

I was originally considering picking it up, but now I have no desire to play it at all.
Yeah, the PS3 version is pretty bad overall. I don't think they would fix something like resolution with a patch.